Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Ubiquiti WLAN OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Ubiquiti WLAN is #5 ranked solution in top Wireless LAN tools. PeerSpot users give Ubiquiti WLAN an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. Ubiquiti WLAN is most commonly compared to Aruba Wireless: Ubiquiti WLAN vs Aruba Wireless. Ubiquiti WLAN is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 47% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 31% of all views.
Ubiquiti WLAN Buyer's Guide

Download the Ubiquiti WLAN Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Ubiquiti WLAN?

UniFi is a revolutionary Wi-Fi system that combines Enterprise performance, unlimited scalability, a central management controller and disruptive pricing.

Ubiquiti WLAN Customers

NASCAR Grand-AM, Maritime Parc, Outdoor Music Festival, One Republic Tour, British Armed Forces, Arcadia School District, Bartlett School District, Universidad del Azuay, Estelar Hotels, Intercontinental Bali, Moscow - Enforta, Miami - Sling Broadband, Manhattan - MST, Ecuador - Aire.EC

Archived Ubiquiti WLAN Reviews (more than two years old)

System & Network Administrator at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Management interface is a key feature, enables viewing of devices centrally
  • "Great management interface."
  • "Switching devices requires reconfiguration from scratch."

What is our primary use case?

Our company uses this solution extensively and recently we've deployed it for our clients too. I've also been using it personally so it's a flexible solution. There are probably 10 users in my company. I'm a systems and networks administrator and we're customers of Ubiquiti.

What is most valuable?

The product has a great management interface. We centralized all the devices which enables the possibility to see the coverage of one device in a plan. It's a nice feature.

What needs improvement?

This is not a simple solution like you might find with other vendors. There could be some improvement with the updates and it requires a special environment to manage the Ubiquiti device. You cannot manage a device without the environment. You need to understand the architecture, the environment, and the management of the device which is somewhat complicated. It's not something that anyone can do.

Another issue is that there's no option to take another device, say a second PC or a mobile phone, and try to manage the environment. It's only the initial device that can be used and you need to continue with that. If you wish to change a device, it requires reconfiguration from scratch. I think this is a negative in the solution. Even with this issue it's still a good solution.

I've been using this solution for almost four years.

Ubiquiti WLAN
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Ubiquiti WLAN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
635,162 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is stable, but I have experienced an issue with updating lately. Every time I launch the update, the device crashes and I have to manually restart the device,

Scalability is good. Once the environment is in place, adopting a new device is very simple,

We were using Cisco prior to switching to Ubiquiti but the solution didn't have an interface to centrally manage all the devices. Our company is a multi-seat environment so Ubiquiti is very useful.

The main difference between Ubiquiti and other solutions is the wireless coverage and the equipment. The device in itself is solid, It has all the functionality that I need.

Initial setup is a little complicated, because it first requires configuration of the LAN environment before adopting the device. I mention this for those who are not regular users of the product. I don't have a problem with it but I know it's difficult for others. For someone who knows what they're doing, deployment takes about half an hour.

This is an affordable solution and there are no hidden extras.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to study the system before implementing in the real environment, because it can be a little bit difficult initially. Once you have experience it's a very good solution.

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

Mike Hunt - PeerSpot reviewer
Mike HuntUser at Chakraborty Software GmbH
User

We installed Ubiquiti APs in a couple of sites and it works fine. However, we were not looking for a High Avaiability solution (ie we have single points of failure with single Switch or single APs). We were very happy at the pricing and the installation. THe 2.4 and 5 GHz is working fine. Seamless Handover works fine. Wish they would have Enterprise Solutions and also future oriented (WIFI 6 and WPA 3?) timelines.

Nguyen Nhan Tuan - PeerSpot reviewer
Group Head at VNMC
Good security and reasonably priced, but the signal strength from the access points should be improved
  • "The most valuable feature is the level of security on the Wi-Fi network."
  • "The strength of the signal from the access points could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

This is part of our wireless network infrastructure. One of the things that we use our network for is video conferencing.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the level of security on the Wi-Fi network.

What needs improvement?

The strength of the signal from the access points could be improved.

I have been using Ubiquiti WLAN for fourteen years.

I have not had any trouble with stability.

We have thirty people in our office and they have different devices such as laptops and smartphones. There are normally around 100 connections at a time.

I have been in contact with online support from the community and it is quite good.

I have also used Aruba and Cisco Meraki wireless but the cost is higher with those solutions.

The initial setup is a little bit complex.

This solution is reasonably priced.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and I have already recommended it to two of my colleagues.

Overall,  I am satisfied with the product but it would be great if the signal strength was a little bit higher.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Ubiquiti WLAN
September 2022
635,162 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Network Engineer/Mobility Specialist at CCSI - Contemporary Computer Services, Inc.
If price is the most important factor than this may be the right solution. The product is slightly unstable.

What is most valuable?

As a turnkey solution.

How has it helped my organization?

Best for SoHo businesses.

What needs improvement?

Managability and customization

1 year

It was difficult to get diagnostic info as there is no "console" or serial communications.

The product is slightly unstable.

I suspect it does not scale to large deployment or very dense environments, but to be fair I have not done more than 5 at a location.

The technical support is poor. Just a chat window. No actual person to talk with.

I implement many different vendors' equipment as I work for an integrator.

I am the integrator.

If price is the most important factor than this may be the right solution.

CTO, CIO at a university with 501-1,000 employees
I don't think it has valuable features.

What is most valuable?

I don't think it has.

2 years

Yes, Ubiquiti uses a concept called adoption. AP's disappear from management software frequently and the only way to re-adopt AP's is to do a hard reset of the device.

Yes, with some users, the internet connection drops.

3bumen, but it's worse.

Download our free Ubiquiti WLAN Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022