Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Ubiquiti Wireless OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Ubiquiti Wireless is #1 ranked solution in top Wireless WAN tools. PeerSpot users give Ubiquiti Wireless an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. Ubiquiti Wireless is most commonly compared to Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN: Ubiquiti Wireless vs Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN. Ubiquiti Wireless is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 45% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 24% of all views.
Ubiquiti Wireless Buyer's Guide

Download the Ubiquiti Wireless Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Ubiquiti Wireless?
Ubiquiti Wireless is connecting Everyone, Everywhere
Ubiquiti Wireless Customers
NASCAR Grand-AM, Maritime Parc, Outdoor Music Festival, British Armed Forces, Arcadia School District, Moscow - Enforta

Ubiquiti Wireless Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Ubiquiti Wireless pricing:
  • "Its price is more attractive when compared to competitor pricing."
  • "All the vendors' prices have gone up, so Ubiquiti has gotten more expensive. In terms of price versus performance, they're still well priced, but they are more expensive than entry-level products like Tenda and TP-Link."
  • "The product is around $300 or $400 depending on the device. It's a one-time fee. There aren't ongoing licensing costs."
  • "For €100, you have Wi-Fi and you don't have to worry about a license."
  • "Ubiquiti Wireless has reasonable pricing."
  • "I like the fact that it offers enterprise features at a cheap price. If you compare it with Cisco, it has most of the features that Cisco has been offering but at a lesser price. I am satisfied with its price."
  • Ubiquiti Wireless Reviews

George Ferns - PeerSpot reviewer
    Solution Architect - Networking and IoT at a wholesaler/distributor with 10,001+ employees
    Reseller
    Attractive pricing and good for home use and small businesses, but not easily scalable and lacks security features
    • "Very simple, very basic setup for Ubiquiti Wireless. Its performance in a home or small business setting with fewer access points is fantastic."
    • "This product has issues with scalability and ease of manageability at scale. Security also needs to be improved, when compared to its competitors. Ubiquiti Wireless doesn't have any support that you can call. They only have an online portal where you can access support documentation, but it's not great. You have to figure out issues and solutions for yourself."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use cases of this solution include home use and hospitality, for example: small cafes, etc. It's used in most small businesses where they just need a few ITs and they need simple management, which also means that they're not too worried about the security.

What is most valuable?

Cost is a big value to the customer and that's the main thing with Ubiquiti Wireless. They don't really have any features that stand out, that would distinguish them from other vendors, so it's all about their pricing. The most attractive thing about them is their cost.

What needs improvement?

What would make this solution better is improved security. Nowadays, with consumer and enterprise level, most of the access points that I work with, e.g. Aruba, Cambium, or Ruckus, etc., they have firewalls built into the access points and they can do deep packet inspection of data coming through the access point. This gives you the ability to identify applications and you can secure and manage based on application. Ubiquiti Wireless is already simplified, so they don't do that.

The performance of Ubiquiti Wireless also needs some improvement. Though performance is very difficult to quantify because if it's performance based on one or two access points in a home, Ubiquiti Wireless is fantastic, but their performance is lacking in large environments. They end up creating problems in larger environments.

I've had people put this in and because Ubiquiti Wireless doesn't solve tune and they weren't capable of tuning it themselves, they ended up with six access points, but the power and the channel assignments have been all wrong, so they haven't been getting any benefit out of the access points.

Ubiquiti Wireless also tends to turn the access points up to the maximum power, and if you're designing an enterprise network, you need to actually turn the power down on your access point and increase the density of your access points to give proper performance improvements. They're not an enterprise product. They're a home and consumer and small business product.

Scalability is an issue. Ease of manageability at scale is also an issue. For example, looking at one of its competitors: Aruba, you can easily scale that to 500 to a thousand access points and still have it all under control.

You also have the ability to do software-defined wireless networking with competitors of Ubiquiti Wireless, which is something you can't really do with Ubiquiti. Ubiquiti Wireless is a point solution.

I have a long list of things that they've got to do to improve the product. There's so many things that they need to do. One of the things that is quite important is that they get rid of the cloud key and have smart insight and access points.

With the other vendors, you buy the access points, then access the virtual controller which will give you that connection into your cloud management. With Ubiquiti Wireless, you have to buy a separate cloud key, or you have to run a separate software server, or you have to buy a Dream Machine Pro or a Dream Machine just to manage your network remotely. They need to move away from that and move to clustering and Virtual Controller in their IP.

I've been working with Ubiquiti Wireless for two years.

Ubiquiti Wireless
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Ubiquiti Wireless. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    634,775 professionals have used our research since 2012.

If I we're to rate the stability of Ubiquiti Wireless, I'll rate it a six out ten. They have a reputation of crashing when you do a firmware update sometimes.

Ubiquiti Wireless is not easy to scale. Scalability is a problem. Get your five AP (access points) and you're fine, but if you want to put 50 AP, you'll have a big problem. It's not scalable.

Another thing is from the management perspective with cloud keys and the way that they use cloud keys, it isn't scalable.

It's also not multi-tenanted, so you can't really use it. When you have multiple branches and sites, management becomes a big problem.

Ubiquiti Wireless doesn't have any support that you can call. I've used their online support and it's not great. Part of their value proposition is they're super cheap because there's no tech that you can call. You can't find an engineer to speak to, or to help you.

A lot of the support is done through the online portal, so if you want technical answers on how to fix issues, you have to go to the community. After everything's installed, they make people figure out issues and solutions for themselves. Their support documentation is not fantastic.

Setting up Ubiquiti Wireless is very simple, very basic.

To set up a network: getting access points installed, and depending on what I was using for a firewall, and getting an SSID secured and set up, it takes 20 to 30 minutes. That does not include mounting it anywhere, but just getting it out of the box, connecting it to a switch, then actually getting it configured. It's straightforward.

The price point for Ubiquiti Wireless is really good.

I've worked with Aruba Networks Wireless WAN, Cambium, and Ruckus Wireless WAN.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a wireless specialist. That's what I do. I design wireless and put them in.

Deployment of Ubiquiti Wireless depends on the customers, but it's not deployed on my premises. I sell it and I design it. I'm an engineer who designs for customers, so we deploy it in different scenarios, but mostly it's deployed into the small business type of environments.

This solution requires regularly maintenance. You have to do firmware updates, and that's it.

My advice to people looking into using this product is that first of all, it would depend on what they are doing. What type of network implementation are they going to do?

Before I give advice, I would be asking a lot of questions. If Ubiquiti Wireless will be used in an educational institution, or in an institution that requires a higher level of security, or one that requires ease of management or good scalability, I will tell them not to use it.

If it will be used in a little cafe and they want to put two access points in, and they want a little guest network that people can sign in, and they want people to be able to log in through Facebook, etc., then using Ubiquiti Wireless will be fine.

Ubiquiti Wireless is a seven out of ten for me, because of its target market, and it does what it's supposed to do in the market it's supposed to be in. It's really good for its price point and for its target market.

I work with Ingram Micro and we sell a large amount of Ubiquiti Wireless, and there's a lot of SME that use them quite successfully. It's just that large implementations can become a huge challenge with this solution.

Walter Shelver - PeerSpot reviewer
    Owner at CableWeb
    I've never had any of my installations go down due to product failure
    • "The most valuable aspect of Ubiquiti is the ease of setup. It's easy to set up, secure, and use. It works on an adoption basis. I can pull the system up, design a network, and pull 20 different Ubiquiti units into it."
    • "Ubiquiti could develop a more elaborate firewall solution. Their firewall solutions at the moment are entry-level. Maybe they don't want to bring those products in because many people prefer putting a third-party firewall into a solution like that. We usually do."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of Ubiquiti is the ease of setup. It's easy to set up, secure, and use. It works on an adoption basis. I can pull the system up, design a network, and pull 20 different Ubiquiti units into it.

It depends on whether you're setting up separate VLANs or whatever, but let's assume a normal scenario with a standard network. You pull all the systems into it and adopt them all, then Ubiquiti incorporates the system into whatever structure you want.

What needs improvement?

Ubiquiti could develop a more elaborate firewall solution. Their firewall solutions at the moment are entry-level. Maybe they don't want to bring those products in because many people prefer putting a third-party firewall into a solution like that. We usually do.

We use Untangle, but the big question at the end of the day is which market they want to target.  They're offering an entry-level firewall product, but if they improved, they could aspire to the higher end and maybe take on the likes of FortiGate and Untangle. Sophos has a complete end-to-end solution with a high-end firewall and AP.

Ubiquiti should approach things like Sophos and make a more comprehensive product. It would be so nice to integrate an end-to-end solution that gives you control over your network. I could set everything up and see it all on the same protocol, roll-out, setup, etc.

They could maybe also make their setup software a little more user-friendly. I don't know if they can improve it much, but they could make it more accessible specifically to first-time users. When you're just starting out, you might not understand you need to download the software and have certain configurations in your web browser to link to it. They could do away with that, but I'm not sure how much of a security impact it's going to have.

I've used Ubiquiti for five or six years.

Ubiquiti is extremely stable. Aside from maybe user issues and that kind of thing, I've never had any of my Ubiquiti installations go down due to product failure. I've never had an AP or switch fail on me.

Ubiquiti is highly scalable.  I've seen Ubiquiti rolled out in massive setups and huge buildings. I know companies that run large warehouses, manufacturing, etc., and their whole backend infrastructure is Ubiquiti. They are pleased with it.

They function as well as Cisco core switching. Sometimes it just depends on the scenario, but from a scalability point of view, all Ubiquiti products work together.

I can mix old Ubiquiti access points, LR units, etc., with new Ubiquiti products. More recently, they've done things like Nano and Wifi 6. You can't mix the Wifi setups, but that's a technology issue, not a product issue. That allows a lot of scalability. Most of them don't reach layer 3 level on their standard switches, but most are layer 2. You have edge switching and layer 2. It's rudimentary networking.

We work with local Ubiquiti support, which has been excellent. I would rate them eight out of 10.

It's a fairly easy setup even if you don't know Ubiquiti and it's your first time. You follow the instructions. Compared to something like NewCitrix, Ubiquiti is a million times easier to set up. So I think Ubiquity would be for a normal IT guy and whatever, Ubiquiti would be an easy setup where, specifically guys like that, that have to set up NewCitrix, you have to learn how NewCitrix works and then run with it like that. But from initial setup, I find Ubiquiti extremely easy to set up.

Ubiquiti is on-prem, but it has a cloud-based deployment and management system. You connect it to the system and do your setup as soon as you've done your setup, and you basically finalize your system, then you can take that cloud link away. Your system runs without it.

All the vendors' prices have gone up, so Ubiquiti has gotten more expensive. In terms of price versus performance, they're still well priced, but they are more expensive than entry-level products like Tenda and TP-Link.

At the same time, it's still affordable enough for a home user. We do a lot of homes sometimes. So, a home user that has the money, that wants the reliability and whatever, I would put UniFi in their house before I would put in Tenda or a lower end product. In that respect, I definitely think Ubiquiti is very well priced, so I would give them easily a four out of five on pricing.

From a price perspective, compared to Cisco, where you could put one AP down for Cisco, and get a lot of users, a lot of security and everything like that. For the same price, you can put down three Ubiquiti's and those three Ubiquiti's can do what the one Cisco unit could do.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Ubiquiti Wireless eight out of 10. I would definitely recommend Ubiquiti to others unless it's a scenario where you have a massive deployment or the client has an existing Netgear, HPE, or Aruba setup.

Their products are durable and easy to use. Ubiquiti fits into that mid-market segment. Ubiquiti slots in below Aruba, Cisco, and all those heavy-duty systems, but it's still a robust product. In most cases, I'd suggest Ubiquiti over and above your bigger names like Cisco, Netgear, etc. It's definitely a cut above things like TP-Link and Tenda. It has its own market share right there in the middle

When you're managing more units, it helps to have handover and the capacity to switch between multiple inputs and outputs. Ubiquiti handles that well. Obviously, when you have hectic layer 3 networks and huge roll-outs, HPE and all of those other big names are more appropriate products. However, Ubquiti is the most reliable product in 80 percent of general use cases.

Ubiquiti Wireless
    September 2022
    634,775 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    CMO at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Straightforward to set up and offers reasonable pricing but needs to offer an extended warrenty
    • "It's an excellent option for small businesses."
    • "The external devices, the outdoor devices, are not so rugged. For example, for the weather that we have here in Florida, it doesn't hold up well even though it is supposed to be designed for outdoor use."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for guests. It's a guest network, mainly for mobile devices, however, there's not any specific or technical use for it beyond that.

What is most valuable?

The price of the solution is excellent. It's not too expensive.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

The solution is stable.

It can scale well.

It's an excellent option for small businesses.

What needs improvement?

The external devices, the outdoor devices, are not so rugged. For example, for the weather that we have here in Florida, it doesn't hold up well even though it is supposed to be designed for outdoor use. The cover is not generally strong enough to support the extreme temperatures in Florida. That is one thing that I know that some customers have some problems with.

There is only a one-year warranty on the solution and you cannot actually extend it. It would be ideal if it could be longer or extended if possible.

I've been using the solution for the last eight years. It's been a long time now.

The solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The product can scale well. There's no problem with that. They work like Meraki and the device acts just make a mesh.

We have ten people in the organization that use the solution.

The technical support is really good. One of the things that they have is a one-year warranty. However, you can't extend it. That is something that they should improve.

We have been using many solutions. We have used SonicPoint in the past and some Linksys options. We added Ubiquiti as we wanted the possibility to add on new devices within the same network and centralize all the devices under the same monitoring solution, under the same console.

We also have experience with Aruba and Meraki.

The solution is very straightforward. It's not overly complex or difficult. We didn't have trouble with the implementation process.

The deployment only takes a few hours.

This is occasional maintenance that needs to be performed, however, I don't know how often this activity is performed. We do have one of the technicians here that can work with the product in case of any problems. It's not one specific person; it's just one of the technicians. We have some IT specialists and some of them work in the role of support. We have a network engineer, however, the solution that we have here is quite simple. It's not rocket science to see what is happening with the access point. It's pretty low maintenance as a solution in general and is easy to manage.

We did not use an integrator or consultant. We handled everything in-house.

The solution is very reasonably priced. We like the pricing they offer. There's a good balance between quality and price, as it's not that the product is cheap and bad. In this case, it's a good product at a good price.

What other advice do I have?

We're customers and end-users.

We are using the latest version of the solution. We just updated it.

This is a solution for small businesses. It's not so complex. For an enterprise solution, we always recommend Meraki or Aruba. Our first option is Meraki. If the customer requests a more affordable solution, we recommend Aruba. If it's a small business that doesn't have a budget, we obviously recommend Ubiquiti, however, it's not our first option.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

The price and quality are really good. I'm not an expert in this product, however, from what I have witnessed, it works really well. It's just that you can't extend the warranty more than one year, and to have a product where you can't extend the warranty, it doesn't feel like you have much part support.

Sachin Vinay - PeerSpot reviewer
    Network Administrator at a educational organization with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Simple to set up and good outdoor accessibility but does not penetrate rooms well indoors
    • "Ubiquiti outdoor access points in particular, are really stable, and if there are no obstructions, Ubiquiti works well."
    • "t does not have traffic shaping or traffic policies in its wireless requirements."

What is our primary use case?

In the school area, we have deployed Ubiquiti Wireless. Each floor has four Ubiquiti Wireless solutions. We have indoor and outdoor solutions and it is used for long-distance communication. Indoors, the students rely on Ubiquiti Wireless for day-to-day academic activities, like classes, attending seminars, everything. We have deployed Ubiquiti Wireless in their applied building, and it has a controller also, a virtual machine controller.

How has it helped my organization?

Before the deployment of Ubiquiti, we were running local authentication mechanisms like WPA2 personal with the local wireless routers. We were not able to implement WPA2 enterprise authentication methods. After the implementation of Ubiquiti Wireless, we were able to implement this WPA2 model authentication with a username and password. It becomes more secure and students and staff can easily rely on it to meet their daily needs.

What is most valuable?

It has a radius authentication mechanism. In our enterprise authentication, our authentication type is radius 8.2.1X authentication. Ubiquiti is readily supporting that. We have a separate SSID with 8.2.1X authentication, and with Ubiquiti Wireless, we can spread it across all our buildings with the SSID network.

The initial setup is simple.

It is stable. Ubiquiti outdoor access points in particular, are really stable, and if there are no obstructions, Ubiquiti works well.

What needs improvement?

Ubiquiti requires more improvement in wireless penetration. It has significantly less penetration in indoor devices. When it comes to indoor devices, Ubiquiti Wireless does not have penetration power, so when we deploy it in closed rooms, it fails to connect. This is one drawback that has to improve.

When indoor access points failed to penetrate into rooms, we had to deploy single access points in each room, which seemed to be really costly. Still, when compared to Fortinet, it has an outdoor access point model also. The outdoor access point is relatively stable in comparison.

The solution needs to offer more scalability.

It does not have traffic shaping or traffic policies in its wireless requirements. We have to completely depend on an additional firewall for traffic shaping and policies.

We've been using the solution for six years.

It is a stable solution. It's reliable. There are no bugs or glitches.

It is not very scalable.

We have six networking people using the solution.

We are not planning to increase Ubiquiti as we don't have good feedback regarding Ubiquiti Wireless.

Technical support is good.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We have a mix of Ruckus Wireless, Ubiquiti Wireless, Jenkins Wireless, et cetera. We are also using Fortinet APS for Access Points.

We had a lot of issues with Fortinet regarding connectivity, stability, and everything. We tried to move to Ubiquiti, which was actually somewhat stable. We tried it out in our one building and when compared to Fortinet, it had a slightly higher advantage, however, still, we had issues with the penetration power.

We are planning to migrate more to Ruckus and Aruba.

The solution is very easy to set up. It is not overly complex.

It's fast to deploy and only takes two to three hours.

We have six people that handle deployment and maintenance.

We handled the deployment in-house.

I cannot recall the exact pricing. However, my understanding is that the pricing is very good.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and end-user.

We're using the latest version and have updated it.

Ubiquiti Wireless is an access point wireless solution. However, I would suggest it more for outdoor use. For outdoor devices, if you deploy Ubiquiti, then you'll get the proper signal and coverage. If you are in a building, or any other premises that have obstructions or hard walls, then I would suggest not using Ubiquiti Wireless. It has less penetrating power. It will not come inside rooms.

I'd rate the solution six out of ten.

President at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    MSP
    Inexpensive with good WiFi coverage and good reliability
    • "Overall, it's a straightforward solution."
    • "There isn't any technical support."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for small businesses.

How has it helped my organization?

We found the WiFi coverage good and it was easy for the company to set up. It continues to be stable as well.

What is most valuable?

They are our cheap solution. It's not overly expensive to use.

They integrated well within our small business, which was required.

It's a stable solution.

We don't have any issues when it comes to running a standard deployment.

The coverage of Wi-Fi is good.

Overall, it's a straightforward solution.

They do offer a lot of documentation.

It's very cheap to replace, however, they last a while. If you want to buy one, it's no trouble. We've sold more than 500 and we maybe changed three wireless access points in five years.

What needs improvement?

Especially after the last year, we would prefer if there was an option to have complete cloud control and not local control. It's better to have something that's completely cloud-based.

There isn't any technical support. There is only a forum where it is hard to get answers.

If you buy one and you would like to extend the warranty, you don't have the possibility to extend the warranty. If the full warranty expires, if the Wi-Fi brakes, you must buy a new product.

I've been using the solution for five years.

The stability is quite good. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze it is reliable. It's been issue-free.

The product can scale.

Technical support is non-existent. They have only a forum where you can ask other people or maybe technician questions. However, usually, when we post an issue, we never get an answer

We've used many different solutions in the past and really like Ubiquiti. Our clients have used Fortinet and Meraki, however, those are best suited for larger enterprises.

The solution is very easy to set up.

We basically just propose the solution and the client will look at the price and agree to it or not. If they do, we install it. that's our basic implementation strategy.

You can deploy the product in about two hours. You only need one person to deploy it. It's not labor-intensive.

Depending on the customer, we may have only one site or maybe multiple sites where we need to deploy the solution with one controller. Some customers have only one site, and others might have ten. All the sites may be interconnected by a VPN.

We are able to install the solution ourselves.

I'm not sure if the customer has seen an exact ROI.

The price of the product is reasonable. While I can't speak to the exact pricing, it is quite inexpensive.

You don't need a license. You simply buy and install the device.

For €100, you have Wi-Fi and you don't have to worry about a license. For the customer, it is a good solution. With Meraki, for example, you must buy the product, you must buy the license, and you have a license with an annual commitment or a pluriannual commitment. Clients must pay every time. With Ubiquiti, you buy the device, similar to what you would install at home, and you don't need to worry about anything else.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and an integrator.

It's my understanding that we are using the latest solution, based on the firmware that they released.

It's got a pretty low learning curve. You might only need one day to have a look at it and understand everything.

I'd rate it eight out of ten. It's pretty great for small businesses, however, to take it to the next level, a large company likely will need to acquire it.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Customer/Integrator
    Drilling Engineering Manager at Exxon Mobil
    Competitively priced, reliable for home use, and has a good monitoring feature, but its performance needs improvement in office use
    • "What I found most valuable in Ubiquiti Wireless is that it's priced competitively, compared to other brands available in the market. From a price competitiveness standpoint, it's a product I would recommend. I also find Ubiquiti Wireless quite reliable, at least for me using it as a home access point, it seems to serve its purpose. I also like that with Ubiquiti Wireless, you can build a very modular network, so you could change out your router to use a Ubiquiti router if you want to. The solution also has gateway equipment and all, so I like the modular concept of Ubiquiti Wireless. Another feature I find valuable in the solution is monitoring. It is pretty good. For example, as a home user, I have the unified app on my computer, so I'm able to watch how my APs are performing."
    • "Performance could be improved in the solution because when I compare it with Ruckus and other APs, some of those APs are better performing, so you don't have to deploy too many APs to get the same level of Wi-Fi coverage and stability. It's not about how many clients the solution can handle, but it is more about stability and coverage. Another room for improvement in Ubiquiti Wireless, compared to other brands, is that it doesn't do well when used in an office network. It has a limitation on how reliable the AP of the system is."

What is our primary use case?

The reason why I ended up using Ubiquiti Wireless is because of having to work from home during the pandemic, and the kids were homeschooling. Those were the biggest reasons why I had to put wireless access points at home.

What is most valuable?

What I found most valuable in Ubiquiti Wireless is that it's priced competitively, compared to other brands available in the market. From a price competitiveness standpoint, it's a product I would recommend. I also find Ubiquiti Wireless quite reliable, at least for me using it as a home access point, it seems to serve its purpose.

I also like that with Ubiquiti Wireless, you can build a very modular network, so you could change out your router to use a Ubiquiti router if you want to. The solution also has gateway equipment and all, so I like the modular concept of Ubiquiti Wireless.

Another feature I find valuable in the solution is monitoring. It is pretty good. For example, as a home user, I have the unified app on my computer, so I'm able to watch how my APs are performing.

What needs improvement?

In terms of rooms for improvement, I'm a home user, so none of my APs are Wi-Fi 6. My APs are more of the older generation Wi-Fi, so right now with their Wi-Fi 6, Ubiquiti Wireless has better capabilities.

Performance could be improved in the solution because when I compare it with Ruckus and other APs, some of those APs are better performing, so you don't have to deploy too many APs to get the same level of Wi-Fi coverage and stability. It's not about how many clients the solution can handle, but it is more about stability and coverage.

Another room for improvement in Ubiquiti Wireless, compared to other brands, is that it doesn't do well when used in an office network. It has a limitation on how reliable the AP of the system is.

An additional feature I'd like to see in the next release of Ubiquiti Wireless is beamforming. It's a feature that a lot of APs have now, which helps with more stable performance and not needing too many APs to be deployed for the same level of coverage.

I've been using Ubiquiti Wireless for close to two years now.

Ubiquiti Wireless has been stable, at least from my experience of using it at home. There wasn't much of an issue in terms of its stability.

I didn't need to contact the technical support for Ubiquiti Wireless.

The initial setup for Ubiquiti Wireless was pretty straightforward, and I did it myself.

Ubiquiti Wireless has reasonable pricing.

I evaluated Aruba, Cambium, and Meraki.

What other advice do I have?

I do have a couple of access points at home. The one that I'm using at home is from Ubiquiti: Ubiquiti Wireless, and it is on a private LAN.

I'm rating Ubiquiti Wireless an eight for home use, and a seven for office use. For the product in general, my rating is seven out of ten.

My advice to others looking into implementing Ubiquiti Wireless is that if you are new to networking and you're trying to get into understanding the modular network, equipment, and hardware, or if you're a novice just starting to improve your network at home, I would strongly recommend starting with Ubiquiti Wireless, because it's affordable and it's a bit user-friendly. If you think the solution meets your requirement, then you could probably stay with it, but if you think it's underperforming, then you can consider other brands.

Hansel Baro - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Site Reliability Engineer / System Administrator at a hospitality company with 51-200 employees
    Provides reliable and stable connectivity, comes with a free controller to check device connections, and offers enterprise features at a cheap price
    • "I like the fact that you can set it up like a wireless connection. Previously, we used to connect from one SSID to another. When we started using Ubiquiti, everyone was so happy because even if they moved from one place or another, say from the pantry to a meeting room, they didn't need to connect manually to another SSID. This is one of the features that I really like about it. It is doing a great job. It offers a free controller that you can use to see if the devices are connected or not and if they are up or down."
    • "There should be an easier way to contact the support. If we need to do something on it, it will be easier and faster if there is a support number to call. Currently, their support is mostly through email or chat. If there is a hotline that you can call directly, that would be good. It will really help a lot. They should also include more after-sales support. They can maybe also provide more details on what's happening with the network."

What is our primary use case?

We use it mostly for our office network.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps the employees in doing more work. While moving from one place to another, especially for the meetings, it is really important to have a reliable and stable internet connection. Ubiquiti gives them a comfortable feeling while working in the office.

What is most valuable?

I like the fact that you can set it up like a wireless connection. Previously, we used to connect from one SSID to another. When we started using Ubiquiti, everyone was so happy because even if they moved from one place or another, say from the pantry to a meeting room, they didn't need to connect manually to another SSID. This is one of the features that I really like about it. It is doing a great job.

It offers a free controller that you can use to see if the devices are connected or not and if they are up or down.

What needs improvement?

There should be an easier way to contact the support. If we need to do something on it, it will be easier and faster if there is a support number to call. Currently, their support is mostly through email or chat. If there is a hotline that you can call directly, that would be good. It will really help a lot. They should also include more after-sales support.

They can maybe also provide more details on what's happening with the network.

I have been using this solution since 2013. That's roughly eight years.

It is really stable. We've been using it for the past eight years, and so far, everyone is loving it. We have no complaints. Now, all our offices use Ubiquiti, which proves how stable it is.

It is pretty scalable. It is easy to scale. Whenever we need more access points, it is easy to set it up.

We have roughly 200 users with mixed roles. We have engineering, finance, HR, customer service, and CEO. In terms of increasing its usage, we just upgraded last year. We are in a good position right now. If our company expands, we might add or upgrade our network.

Currently, their support is mostly through email or chat. It would be good and helpful if there is a hotline that you can call directly. They should have direct contact numbers just like other enterprise companies. For example, Cisco provides a dedicated person with whom you can speak.

It is pretty straightforward. Even non-technical people can set it up by following the videos on YouTube.

I like the fact that it offers enterprise features at a cheap price. If you compare it with Cisco, it has most of the features that Cisco has been offering but at a lesser price. I am satisfied with its price.

We did evaluate other products. One of the reasons why we chose Ubiquiti was its pricing and licensing. For other enterprise brands, you need to pay on a yearly basis. The controller has a cost as well. With Ubiquiti, we got enterprise features for a cheaper price. It was more than enough.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. You can never go wrong with Ubiquiti because it is already proven and tested, and there is no need to do POC on it.

I would rate Ubiquiti Wireless a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
    Information Technology Supervisor at JLR Construction and Aggregates Inc.
    Easy to set up with good documentation and very reasonable pricing
    • "They are reliable in terms of wireless connectivity."
    • "Their stock is a bit low compared to others, making it difficult to purchase."

What is our primary use case?

We use the product for site-to-site connectivity.

What is most valuable?

I'm using wireless radios. There are features like wireless bridging that are quite useful. We're using wireless bridging. That's the primary purpose as to why we have the equipment.

They are reliable in terms of wireless connectivity.

The initial setup is easy.

What needs improvement?

The availability could be better. Currently, the equipment is always out of stock due to the amount they're pricing. It's quite cheap, so people want to buy it. Their stock is a bit low compared to others, making it difficult to purchase.

I've been using the solution for ten years.

The stability is very good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. We find it reliable.

In terms of scalability, I cannot say at this time how it is. If it is a very small one, it may have one or two points only. We only have maybe three to four antennas. That's not very much. I cannot grade scalability with such a small deployment.

We have 20 users at a maximum on this product. They are all in operations. The engineering department doesn't use it that much.

In the advent of fiber, it's unlikely we will increase usage.

I don't find technical support very useful. I usually use forums or community support. I haven't tried to call technical support in the past.

You just need to read the manual. For some concerns that are not seen in the manual, I go to the forums. The only time I would like to go to support is if there is a feature maybe that doesn't exist in the system. Currently, I am not into those things, so I'm only currently using the current features of their package.

I have Ubiquiti Wireless, MikroTik Wireless, and MikroTik Wired.

The only brand we have considered for this particular purpose was Ubiquiti since all others are very expensive brands. For our use case, we cannot afford to implement expensive antennas as it's difficult to afford for purchasing,

The initial setup is easy. The complete deployment took one week.

We have three people involved in the deployment and maintenance.

I noted an ROI after five years.

You can use the equipment for five years without any problems before you need to replace anything. Or, if an incident occurs that you can't control - like calamities or lightning strikes that really damage the dish. That's the only time you have to have problems. They last a long period of time. Your return investment is good for the price they give.

The pricing is very, very reasonable. It was quite cheap. We buy them outright. There is no licensing.

Support is not included with that, as the equipment itself is already usable as it is.

I was looking into Cambium. I was trying to see how much the difference in prices were. Since it was a very big jump in price, I know I could not justify its purchase for the capacity that we only have.

What other advice do I have?

We use a mixture of versions. We're constantly upgrading, so there is some old equipment and new equipment.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Download our free Ubiquiti Wireless Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022