Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Cisco FabricPath OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Cisco FabricPath is #5 ranked solution in top LAN Switching tools. PeerSpot users give Cisco FabricPath an average rating of 9.2 out of 10. Cisco FabricPath is most commonly compared to Juniper QFabric: Cisco FabricPath vs Juniper QFabric. Cisco FabricPath is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 69% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 19% of all views.

Download the LAN Switching Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Cisco FabricPath?
Cisco FabricPath is a Cisco NX-OS software innovation combining the plug-and-play simplicity of Ethernet with the reliability and scalability of Layer 3 routing. Using FabricPath, you can build highly scalable Layer 2 multipath networks without the Spanning Tree Protocol. Such networks are particularly suitable for large virtualization deployments, private clouds, and high-performance computing (HPC) environments. The benefits of Cisco FabricPath include: Minimal commands per switch ease configuration and operation, Autodiscovery simplifies addition of new links and switches, Provision additional network bandwidth without impacting network, Supports one-, two-, or three-tier architectures, VLAN extensibility across the data center.

Cisco FabricPath was previously known as FabricPath.

Cisco FabricPath Customers

Bellevue, Calligaris, Electricity Authority of Cyprus, Management Science Associates, Multi-Customer, Oediv, Roper St. Francis, SNAM

Cisco FabricPath Video

Cisco FabricPath Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Cisco FabricPath pricing:
  • "The price of Cisco FabricPath could be reduced, it is expensive in the market here in Sri Lanka. The solution is subscriptions based, if the customer wants any future integrations, or if there are any future enhancements they will have to pay. There are different license options available, such as one or three years purchases."
  • "FabricPath is very reasonably priced."
  • Cisco FabricPath Reviews

Responsable Infrastructures, Réseaux & Télécoms at a university with 201-500 employees
    Reliable, simple to set up, and offers good technical support
    • "We have found the solution to be stable."
    • "If Cisco can include management for this protocol in Layer 3, that would be ideal."

What is our primary use case?

We use FabricPath in the Cisco Data Center Switches. FabricPath is a license to inject into Cisco Data Center Switches like Nexus 7K, 9K for reducing the Spanning Tree phenomenon.

What is most valuable?

Cisco FabricPath is used to eliminate Spanning Tree broadcasts into the Layer 2 network. We can configure the FabricPath in a lot of different interfaces for communicating with different switches and disabling the Spanning Tree Protocol so we can't have a loop in the leaf and spine architecture.

The setup is very simple.

We have found the solution to be stable.

It scales well.

What needs improvement?

There could always be more interfaces included in the switch.

If Cisco can include management for this protocol in Layer 3, that would be ideal. For example, we have our first data center in the USA and the second data center is in Europe. If we could juxtapose FabricPath for managing the Layer 2 loop between these two data centers locally, that would be great.

We have used the solution since 2018.

LAN Switching
    September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Cisco, Juniper, Arista and others in LAN Switching. Updated: September 2022.
    632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's stable. Really, we don't have any problems with FabricPath when we configure it into our Nexus switches. It's very stable without looping into our Layer 2 network. I recommend its usage for this reason, really.

The product scales well. If a company needs to expand, it can do so.

We don't have any problems with FabricPath. If we have to reach out to Cisco support to resolve a problem, we can, however, it rarely happens. That said, if you call Cisco to resolve a problem, it's my understanding that they have very good support can resolve problems immediately. Support from Cisco is very, very good.

So far, we have found the initial setup to be very simple, very straightforward. It's not overly complex or difficult.

The solution is very, very cheap compared with all other brands - including Huawei or HPE Switches. We buy Cisco for the performance, really the performance, scalability, backup, and a lot of technology like VPC, OTV, or VDC, Virtual Device Context. It's good.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten. We've been very happy with its capabilities.

I would recommend the product for a company that has a very big data center. It's good for those in banking or insurance, for example.

Chinthaka Kannangara - PeerSpot reviewer
    Network System Engineer at VSIS
    Central management, beneficial alerts, and quick responsive support
    • "The most valuable feature is the central management where the customer can receive all the alerts."
    • "The documents could improve for Cisco FabricPath. There are times when the relevant information is not present in the different sections of the documents, such as deployment. The documents should be more detailed and enhanced."

What is our primary use case?

Cisco FabricPath comes thru Cisco NX-OS Software that brings the strength and scalability of routing to Layer 2. it uses routing principles to scale the layer 2 network which is a bit difficult before that. because it provides loop prevention and mitigation within the data plane, it helps to ensure safe forwarding that is unmatched by any other bridge technology. Therefore this is most beneficial in data centers service for their applications that can use widely.

What is most valuable?

This protocol requires less integration than a similar network based on the Spanning-Tree-Protocol.

What needs improvement?

The documents could improve for Cisco FabricPath. There are times when the relevant information is not present in the different sections of the documents, such as deployment. The documents should be more detailed and enhanced.

Having better documentation would benefit the engineers working on the solution.

I have been using Cisco FabricPath for approximately one year.

Cisco FabricPath is stable. My customers are operating the solution smoothly and there have not been any major issues.

Cisco FabricPath is scalable.

We have one client using this solution.

The support was helpful and their support is quite fast.

The initial installation was not simple. We had some difficulties since it was the first time for us. They had used documents a few times and we did seek support from Cisco. I'm happy they connected the client with the correct supporting business. They were supportive.

The whole implementation process took a few weeks.

The price of Cisco FabricPath could be reduced, it is expensive in the market here. The solution is available as perpetual, subscriptions-based, and Tier-based licensing, if the customer wants any future integrations, or if there are any future enhancements they will have to pay. Purchasing a subscription-based license gives you the opportunity to adjust/upgrade the terms of the license (such as moving from Advantage to Premier) at the time of license renewal.

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend this solution for small-scale networks because it is a bit expensive and particularly at this moment, Other than the price, I would recommend it technically. I rate Cisco FabricPath a nine out of ten.

LAN Switching
    September 2022
    632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Victor Sibanda - PeerSpot reviewer
    Managing Director at Equilogic Technologies
    A solution with excellent stability and customer service support
    • "The solution has excellent stability."
    • "The cloud version of Cisco Fabric Path could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We deploy this solution for clients who specifically request it. The solution is often deployed on-premises as per client requests.

What needs improvement?

The cloud version of Cisco Fabric Path could be improved because most of our clients choose to stay on premises because of the unstable internet service available here.

We have been using this solution for three years and are currently using the most recent version.

The solution has excellent stability. We have a client who ran a Catalyst 4506-E switch for seven years straight without switching it off. Hence, the solution's stability is impressive.

The scalability primarily depends on the size of the company we are dealing with.

Our experience with customer service and support has been excellent. The clients have been able to reach the support team. However, we also had delays before.

The initial setup process differs. It could be very basic or complex, depending on the client's needs and requests. For example, clients may request to be educated on the tools before deploying the technology in their network. At other times, the company may be moving from one solution to another. Therefore, it depends on the client's needs.

We usually request that any additional costs we may incur be included at the onset of our purchase. The licensing fees differ from one client to another. We have clients who have paid 1,000 and others who paid 3,000.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution an eight out of ten. We recommend Cisco Enterprise solutions because they're very good, stable, offer high-quality equipment and provide good value for the price.

MdZaman - PeerSpot reviewer
    Deputy Manager at JTI (Japan Tobacco International)
    On overall effective product with good performance and a simple setup
    • "It's very stable."
    • "The price is a little bit too high."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Fortinet as an additional solution as well. Apart from that, we are using an MPLS networking solution. We use Cisco alongside these.

What is most valuable?

Overall, it's a good product.

It's very stable.

The initial setup is pretty simple.

What needs improvement?

The price is a little bit too high. They need to work on lowering the cost.

The GUI and OpSys would be better. Cisco should focus on something better for the GUI and figure out the interface.

I've been dealing with the solution for one and a half years.

The solution is stable. It offers good performance. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It is reliable.

At this time, we have about 400 users on the solution.

We do not plan to increase usage in the next two years.

We have always used Cisco. We have not used any other solution.

The initial setup is pretty simple, pretty straightforward. It's not overly complex or difficult.

We have five technical individuals that can handle deployment and maintenance tasks. One is a manager and four are admins.

The solution is pretty expensive.

We have to pay a yearly licensing fee.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the solution to other users and other organizations.

I would rate it an eight out of ten. We've had a pretty positive experience overall.

incident respond jr at Telmex Mexico
    High-performing solution that's easy to scale

What is our primary use case?

I mainly use FabricPath to install equipment for core and LAN switching and for access for users to connect to the MPLS, internet, and SD-WAN.

What is most valuable?

FabricPath's best features are routing, OSPS, ethernet, and performance.

FabricPath's stability is good.

FabricPath is easy to scale.

Cisco's technical support is good because we have a network operation center.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial setup is easy.

The prices for FabricPath are very high, and Cisco also takes a long time to deliver products (in Mexico, the delivery time is eight months).

What other advice do I have?

I would rate FabricPath as ten out of ten.

Sandeep Roy - PeerSpot reviewer
    Lead-Supply chain Operations at Orange
    Reseller
    High quality and up-to-date but slightly complex to set up

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the lead time and the high quality of the product.

My company's been using FabricPath for the last twenty to twenty-five years.

FabricPath is stable.

FabricPath is scalable.

Cisco's technical support is very good - they always make the deadlines.

The initial setup is a little complex.

FabricPath is very reasonably priced.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of future models, Cisco are already building up, so they're up to the mark in terms of digital turnaround. I would give FabricPath a score of seven out of ten.