Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Toad Data Point OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Toad Data Point is #3 ranked solution in top Data Preparation Tools and #26 ranked solution in top Data Integration Tools. PeerSpot users give Toad Data Point an average rating of 9.0 out of 10. Toad Data Point is most commonly compared to SSIS: Toad Data Point vs SSIS. Toad Data Point is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 74% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 16% of all views.

Download the Data Integration Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Toad Data Point?
Toad Data Point is a cross-platform, self-service, data-integration tool that simplifies data access, preparation and provisioning. It provides nearly limitless data connectivity, desktop data integration, visual query building and workflow automation.
Toad Data Point Customers
Concordia University
Toad Data Point Video

Toad Data Point Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Toad Data Point pricing:
  • "The cost of this product is reasonable."
  • "The price of Toad Data Point was approximately $500 annually."
  • Toad Data Point Reviews

Sr Manager Business Intelligence & Data Governance at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Easy to learn, good connectivity to multiple data sources, and helpful supprt
    • "The Connectivity and Connection Manager supports a broad number of connection types, and it is trivial for end-users to set up their own connections to sources."
    • "On the scheduling server, some scheduled reports just sit there and never execute for the first time. After manually executing the first time, they run with no issues."

What is our primary use case?

We had an unsupported version of Hyperion that needed to be replaced. Toad Data Point allowed us to quickly transition to a similar solution and to easily convert all of our preexisting queries (more than 300) to the new solution with minimum effort. The learning curve was minimal and the business was able to continue with no impact on our customers.

How has it helped my organization?

This product allows us to build out a full data governance strategy and continue to run intuitive reports that the business can action.

We have been able to move all of our standard reporting over and continue to support the ongoing needs of the business in this user-friendly tool. We have also been able to automate all of our standard reports using the Toad Intelligence Server, which allows us to spend more time on custom asks from the business and to offer extended services to all functional areas of the business.

Our business uses this tool on a daily basis along with companion visualization to help key stakeholders make decisions and take action to support our customers.

What is most valuable?

It offers an easy learning curve for the team and conversion of pre-existing queries.

The Query Builder is great for novices. It doesn’t take long before a new user can start getting the data they need

The Calculated fields feature is helpful and we had nothing that is even close in Hyperion.

The Connectivity and Connection Manager supports a broad number of connection types, and it is trivial for end-users to set up their own connections to sources. You can flip between different servers, databases, and local sources quite easily. It also allows for cross-connections.

The Automation wizard can get the novice started easily. Using the more advanced automation functions is fairly intuitive for basic users. You drag and drop your logic and steps, and see it diagramed out.

What needs improvement?

This product would benefit from a better "join" function that is more intuitive.

The "Group By" should be defaulted to "group" when a field is added. When there is a calculated field, the automatic "group by" doesn’t work. Instead, it needs to be done manually for that field.

Occasionally, it has some odd issues after a Windows update, although support is pretty good at offering short-term solutions and fixing them in future releases.

Table joins are not working properly the whole time.

We have experienced query breaking when visualized, after editing in the script.

You can’t use the visual to add two calculations on one field. Rather, it has to be scripted.

Data Integration Tools
    September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Quest Software, Microsoft, SAS and others in Data Integration Tools. Updated: September 2022.
    635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have been using Toad Data Point as a replacement to Hyperion for more than one year.

The solution is very stable, with just some Windows update synchronicity issues.

Toad Data Point is very scalable and the support team listens to feedback and takes action. We use this with our Power BI solution and it meets our current and future growth plans.

They have excellent support and appreciate constructive feedback on the tool and any opportunities to improve.

Prior to Toad Data Point, we used Hyperion.

Compared to Hyperion, it has much more advanced abilities with subqueries. Some reports that needed multiple queries in Hyperion can be executed with one run in Toad.

The initial setup is straightforward and we easily converted from the Hyperion tool. The Toad Intelligence server was also an easy setup.

We implemented this solution in-house.

The cost of this product is reasonable.

We needed an easy-to-use and train tool that could be used by our BI team to support the business on a long-term basis with minimal effort.

We looked at a few others but this really was our first choice.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this solution requires minimal effort to set up, the cost is reasonable, and support is excellent.

Steven Scarver - PeerSpot reviewer
    VP/Manager, Data Analytics & Intelligence at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Easy to scale, useful auto-formatting, and powerful features
    • "The most valuable features of Toad Data are you could write a parameterized query and it wouldn't error out, it would give you the parameters that you could input. The auto-formatting feature is useful because it was great for keeping your queries neat and understandable. The auto comment, and uncomment toggles that you could do were convenient."
    • "Toad Data could improve by having additional features, such as query prediction. This could help someone who's not the strongest programmer. If the software could help them write queries correctly it would be very helpful, especially for small development teams or teams that lack the input skills necessary to write and program efficiently."

What is our primary use case?

We used Toad Data for all of our query development and testing.

How has it helped my organization?

Toad Data Point made our query testing a lot faster and more efficient. We saw a lot of time-saving in our development process.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Toad Data are you could write a parameterized query and it wouldn't error out, it would give you the parameters that you could input. The auto-formatting feature is useful because it was great for keeping your queries neat and understandable. The auto comment, and uncomment toggles that you could do were convenient.

What needs improvement?

Toad Data could improve by having additional features, such as query prediction. This could help someone who's not the strongest programmer. If the software could help them write queries correctly it would be very helpful, especially for small development teams or teams that lack the input skills necessary to write and program efficiently.

I have been using Toad Data Point for approximately one and a half years.

Toad Data is a stable solution.

Toad Data is scalable. The cost structure is per-user licensing, as long as you have the budget, it's easy to scale.

We have five people using the solution in our company. We have plans to adopt the solution in the new organization I am working at. It's a powerful development tool that makes your daily operation a lot more efficient.

I have not used the support from Toad Data Point.

I have previously used Snowflake and SQL Server Management Studio.

The initial setup of Toad Data is straightforward. We only needed to download the software and install it.

We did the deployment of Toad Data Point in-house.

We have received an ROI by using Toad Data Point.

The price of Toad Data Point was approximately $500 annually.

What other advice do I have?

We weren't even using close to half of the features in Toad Data Point. We knew it was a really powerful tool, but we had a relatively limited use case at the time, but there was some recognition that we could have been doing a lot more with the solutions.

We did the maintenance of the solution using our own team.

My advice to others is they should compare Data Point against other solutions, be sure that they understand their database connectivity, and be able to connect to their data.

I rate Toad Data an eight out of ten.

Download our free Data Integration Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about Quest Software, Microsoft, SAS, and more!
    Updated: September 2022