Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Symantec Secure Web Gateway OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Symantec Secure Web Gateway is #20 ranked solution in top Web Security Gateways. PeerSpot users give Symantec Secure Web Gateway an average rating of 7.0 out of 10. Symantec Secure Web Gateway is most commonly compared to Cisco Umbrella: Symantec Secure Web Gateway vs Cisco Umbrella. Symantec Secure Web Gateway is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 69% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.

Download the Secure Web Gateways (SWG) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Symantec Secure Web Gateway?

Complete Website Security goes far beyond encryption to deliver protection for websites, data and applications—with 24/7 control that helps to mitigate risk and helps to ensure uninterrupted performance for every website. Multi-layered security and controls make our certificate issuance and authentication processes one of the most rigorous in the industry. Automated management pinpoints certificate and website weaknesses due to unexpected expirations, flawed installations, deprecation and critical vulnerabilities in the event of attacks. Meanwhile, Symantec’s unified security identifies worldwide security vulnerabilities, delivers real-time analytics and helps our customers to protect against damage 24/7. It's why we've become the name people trust.

Symantec Secure Web Gateway was previously known as Symantec Complete Website Security .

Symantec Secure Web Gateway Video

Symantec Secure Web Gateway Reviews

Senior Information Security Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable and easy to use and manage, but needs better support and reporting
  • "It is easy to manage. The graphical user interface is quite easy to navigate, and we don't have any difficulty in using it. It is a good solution."
  • "The major challenge is their support. The support from Broadcom is quite poor. It takes forever for them to get back to you, and when they get back to you, they ask you for so much information, which makes it more difficult. That's the only problem I have with Broadcom. This is one of the reasons why we are switching to another solution. Another reason for switching is that we have a plan to adopt solutions in the cloud so that we can offload the administration efforts to the vendor. In future releases, they can improve its reporting and the process for rules creation. They can also improve Broadcom on things such as security information and event management so that from my same platform, I can carry out functions and probably block websites. Such a feature would be nice. Currently, Broadcom is integrated with McAfee to block access to certain sites automatically. It would be nice if they can expand their integration to IBM Resilient Security Orchestration and Automation Response."

What is our primary use case?

One major use case is to allow internet access for some specific sites for all users without authentication. Normally, in our environment, before you go to the internet, we need to grant internet access to your account.

Another use case is where there are some sites that people can go through only from inside the office, but they should not authenticate. We don't want to grant them internet access, but we want them to be able to go to the site. We could easily configure those sites, and the users do not require authentication for them.

We also used it to block or restrict some sites during the day so that these sites are not able to affect people during their work hours. We were also able to exempt some users from any restriction. People with the manager and higher roles could go to the internet, whereas the access was restricted for people who were not managers.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to manage. The graphical user interface is quite easy to navigate, and we don't have any difficulty in using it. It is a good solution.

What needs improvement?

The major challenge is their support. The support from Broadcom is quite poor. It takes forever for them to get back to you, and when they get back to you, they ask you for so much information, which makes it more difficult. That's the only problem I have with Broadcom. This is one of the reasons why we are switching to another solution. Another reason for switching is that we have a plan to adopt solutions in the cloud so that we can offload the administration efforts to the vendor.

In future releases, they can improve its reporting and the process for rules creation. They can also improve Broadcom on things such as security information and event management so that from my same platform, I can carry out functions and probably block websites. Such a feature would be nice. Currently, Broadcom is integrated with McAfee to block access to certain sites automatically. It would be nice if they can expand their integration to IBM Resilient Security Orchestration and Automation Response.

I have been using this solution for four years.

Secure Web Gateways (SWG)
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, Cisco, Zscaler and others in Secure Web Gateways (SWG). Updated: September 2022.
632,539 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is stable.

The plan that we bought can support a significant number of users. Our number of users has not grown significantly over time. We have a license for 2,500 users.

I am not satisfied with their technical support. The support from Broadcom is quite poor. It takes forever for them to get back to you, and when they get back to you, they ask you for so much information. With other vendors, if you have a problem, you raise a ticket, whereas the Broadcom support team will have a remote session with you to get the information they require. They will ask you series of questions and want you to answer them. Some of them are difficult to answer.

We used to use a Microsoft solution. We switched because it was not meeting our requirements.

I wasn't a part of the initial installation.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Symantec Secure Web Gateway a seven out of ten.

Mohamed Elgindy - PeerSpot reviewer
Pre-Sales Consultant | Cyber Security at Beta Information Technology
Reseller
Easy to set up with good features and helpful support
  • "It offers an easy initial setup."
  • "The reports could be better."

What is most valuable?

As a proxy, there are many features are available that benefit the customers. This includes caching, the security appliance, the cloud of service, and many other features.

It offers an easy initial setup.

What needs improvement?

The reports could be better. For example, the report is installed on the VMware Virtual Appliance. It must support other things like HighBar RE, et cetera.

The cost has risen and it is more expensive than it used to be.

There is not any reporting on the central appliance. If a new developer can add basic reporting, and real-time monitoring, it would be ideal. There is no real-time monitor. It'll be a great enhancement if Symantec can add a real-time monitor to the appliance. Other competitors have a real-time monitor on them.

I've used the solution for a while. I've used it for ten years.

As of implementation, we have not had any issues with bugs or glitches. It's reliable and stable. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution can scale.

Technical support is friendly. Once we open a ticket we get a quick response from the team.

The initial setup is very simple and straightforward. It's not overly complex or difficult.

We have our technical teams that do all the implementation. We are investing in them as well in order to handle future implementations.

After the new pricing and licensing model, it's very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a reseller. We are a Platinum Partner.

It's a very good solution. I've used it for a decade and am overly pleased with it.

For bandwidth management, I'd rate it nine out of ten. However, for security, maybe seven or eight out of ten.

Download our free Secure Web Gateways (SWG) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, Cisco, Zscaler, and more!
Updated: September 2022
Product Categories
Secure Web Gateways (SWG)