IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

SAP ERP OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SAP ERP is #1 ranked solution in top ERP tools. PeerSpot users give SAP ERP an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. SAP ERP is most commonly compared to Anaplan: SAP ERP vs Anaplan. SAP ERP is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 63% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 22% of all views.
SAP ERP Buyer's Guide

Download the SAP ERP Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is SAP ERP?
SAP ERP addresses the core business software requirements of midsize and large organizations in all industries and sectors. SAP ERP includes four individual solutions that support key areas of enterprise resource planning: human capital management, financials, operations, corporate services.
SAP ERP Customers
B&G Manufacturing, Unilever, Life is good Inc., Joy Global Inc., City of Cape Town, Bhopal Municipal, Corporation (BMC), adidas Group, Butcher & Packer Supply Company, Franklin Valve L.P., Evoshield, Prime Meats, a Norsan Group company, EMC Corporation, Varian Medical Systems Inc., FC Bayern Mªnchen AG, AkzoNobel Chemicals B.V., T¾V Rheinland, Pacific Drilling S.A., Fire & Rescue New South Wales, University of Amsterdam, Pa_alon S.A.
SAP ERP Video

Archived SAP ERP Reviews (more than two years old)

CIO at Kolektor Group d.o.o.
Very stable with great integration capabilities and has a reliable architecture
  • "The architecture of the solution overall is great. It's great for development, testing, and production. I've worked with solutions where the architecture wasn't as strong and it was a disaster."
  • "The system is very big. It is not exactly user-friendly, due to the fact that it's so massive and complex."

What is most valuable?

I worked with some other ERPs previously and I am a computer engineer. I find it to be very stable in comparison to other systems. There is no downtime. That's important to us due to the fact that we have companies around the world and don't have specific service hours. It needs to constantly be running, and it can do that beautifully.

The integration of the solution is great.

What needs improvement?

You need to put a lot of data into the system in order to get something out of it.

The solution is expensive.

Our company began using SAP during its first installation in Slovenia. We've used it since 1998. It's been more than 20 years at this point, so more than two decades of working with the solution.

The solution is stable. There are no concerns there. We don't have bugs or glitches. It works extremely well and it reliable.

SAP ERP
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about SAP ERP. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
622,949 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is very scalable. It's quite a sizeable product, to begin with. Users would have no problem expanding it out if they need to.

We have around 1,000 users on the solution currently.

Technical support has largely been very supportive of our company. If we need an SAP developer, we're able to get one. However, the solution has been so stable so far there have been very few problems in general, so we haven't needed much help. Overall, we are satisfied with the level of support we get.

We require 10-12 people to handle the maintenance on the solution.

The pricing of the solution could be a bit lower. It's on the more expensive side, as far as solutions go.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have any kind of business relationship with SAP. We aren't consultants or resellers.

We use SAP ERP, and on the other side, on the office side, and the user side, we are straight Microsoft.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. It's not exactly user-friendly and is quite a sizeable solution. If it weren't for that and the high price tag I might rate it a bit higher.

Solution Application Development Manager at a real estate/law firm with 201-500 employees
A robust product, but it is expensive and the technical support is below average

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is Enterprise Resource Planning.

What is most valuable?

This is a robust and feature-rich solution.

What needs improvement?

The user interface needs to be improved.

Licensing is expensive and should be reduced.

I have been working with SAP ERP for seven years.

The stability is quite good.

We have between 18 and 20 people who regularly use this ERP.

We have had experiences with technical support that are both good and bad. Overall, I would say that they are below average. Their support is not clear, and furthermore, even a priority ticket takes a lot of time to resolve.

The initial setup is complex. It took us about a year and a half to fully deploy.

We called a consultant to assist us with implementation and deployment, although we have an internal team that handles the maintenance.

This is a costly product.

What other advice do I have?

The cloud option for this solution is quite good.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

SAP ERP
July 2022
622,949 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Automation assists us with operations from supply requisition to invoicing
  • "SAP has provided a much more integrated platform for managing our manufacturing business."
  • "This solution could be made more user-friendly for development teams."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for our entire business management. Order to Cash for Manufacturing.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features for us are:

• Demand Planning: automated creation of supply requisitions for raw materials based on sales demand.
  • EDI: automated sales order processing and advanced shipment notifications.
  • MRP: Fully integrated with preventive and reactionary maintenance system to assist in scheduling work orders. Automated load balancing based on available resources (man & machine).
  • Invoicing: Automated invoicing based on shipped orders, with invoices emailed to customers automatically.

What needs improvement?

This solution could be made more user-friendly for development teams.

Many legacy carryovers that are still in the original language (German). Configurations would be much easier if we didn't need a translator.

Three years.
Projektmanager Logistik/SCM at a mining and metals company with 10,001+ employees
It provides one overview of the capacity planning but it needs to incorporate more S/4HANA features
  • "It provides one overview of the capacity planning."
  • "It needs to incorporate the new features from the SAP S/4HANA release, such as, utilizing data processes, which is quite nice."

What is our primary use case?

It's for production planning, logistics, supply chain, and tasks. It is operations oriented with logistics planning and material creation.

Our company has been using the product for over ten years now.

What is most valuable?

The capacity planning, which is useful to see what has been planned and the time that is needed. It is also easy to shift plans or production planning. It provides one overview.

What needs improvement?

It needs to incorporate the new features from the SAP S/4HANA release, such as, utilizing data processes, which is quite nice. Also, SAP S/4HANA has a good visualization feature that should be added to this product.

The stability has been quite good. Since I have been working with it, there hasn't been much downtime. Most of the time, there has not been problems.

What other advice do I have?

Check what features you need, which features the solution solves, and look at features are already in the product.

When selecting a vendor, look at the pricing, as well as the support and their knowledge.

Chief of Systems Development at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
Significantly reduces the time required to produce our financial reports
    • "SAP is not making a big effort to make it easy to integrate solutions from other vendors. It's not easy at all... Integration is what they can do better."

What is our primary use case?

We're using it for accounting, materials management, and sales and distribution. We are happy with SAP solutions. We are in the dairy products industry here in Chile, and there are good solutions for SAP in this industry.

How has it helped my organization?

The best improvement that we have seen using SAP solutions is that it shortens the cycle when creating financial reports. Before we installed SAP solutions, we had to do about 10 days of work to create the account reports for the managerial board. Now, ita takes about three days of work to do it. We are able to give information to the board in a more agile way.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the security. We have a very small IT team in our company, so a lot of the maintenance has to be done by the provider. So SAP gives us the maintenance and software solutions that we need.

What needs improvement?

They are not making a big effort to make it easy to integrate solutions from other vendors. It's not easy at all. When you have solutions from other vendors, SAP is not doing a good job integrating them.

SAP is giving us the solutions that they provide. They buy companies. They buy solutions. And they expect that we will choose the solutions that they buy. I suppose that's the reason that they are not making a big effort in making it easy to work with solutions from other vendors. I imagine Oracle is the same.

Integration is what they can do better.

More than five years.

It works well. In our company, we don't have issues with stability. We haven't had any in 10 years, and that's a long time.

We don't have scalability problems. We can go 100 times our volume of transactions and we won't have any problems with it. We are not a very big shop so we don't have any problems, nor do we think that in the future we are going to have trouble with it.

We don't have problems with support. However, it's not as good as it used to be. In the past, they gave better support. I imagine they want you to go to Gold Support, or Platinum, or Titanium Support. We are using Standard Support, and it's good for us. We don't need anything more for the time being.

We were using an ERP that didn't have a big company behind it. The company started to have financial problems, the stock price went from $200 to about 10 cents. So we thought the solution would no longer be supported, and we didn't want to have our financials and materials management in software that didn't have a big company behind it.

So we started looking at ERP solutions in our industry. Here in Chile, the best option was SAP ERP. We spoke with people in the same industry in Argentina, Uruguay, and Brazil. They had no problems with it, so it was the natural option for us to go with ERP from SAP.

When selecting a vendor the most important factor is the vendor's availability. We don't want to find that our provider has problems with availability. When we have a problem, they have to have a solution. The provider has to have a lot of clients that are similar to us, and it has to have been providing the solution for a long time. That way, if we are going to have problems, somebody has had them before and there will already be solutions for them.

I was involved in the setup and it was not easy. We had to bring a technician from another country, from Brazil. He had to come for three to four weeks to do the installation. So it wasn't easy at all.

But once they did it, they documented it. So today, it's not that hard because we have everything written. Today, we can install another system and do it with internal IT staff. So we learned from the process.

PeopleSoft was on our shortlist at that time, although today it's Oracle. But they made it very hard for us to go with them because they didn't want to do meetings. They didn't respond to our calls. That was the worst kind of vendor you can find when you are looking for a new one.

There was another, Meccano, here in Chile. It wasn't on the same scale as SAP ERP. So we went for the sure bet and went with SAP.

What other advice do I have?

Check and double-check the fine print of the contract. Also, find a hardware provider that can scale to the volume of your business, and have a hardware provider that already has implemented solutions. In our case, IBM made a mistake when sizing the server that we needed and we had three months of performance problems. It wasn't the fault of SAP, it was the fault fo IBM. It was a bad way to start with a new system, but they didn't have enough experience in sizing the server for the solution.

I give the solution an eight out of 10. Everything works well enough, but something that could be better is their ability to work with customer's processes in the way the customer does them. I understand that they propose best practices, but when you have been in your industry for 50 years, you know what the best practices are. So you are not always going to change your process because your ERP provider thinks there are better ways.

Applications Architecture at a engineering company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    It integrates everything into one process

What is our primary use case?

We run our entire business from order receipt to invoicing. We also do manufacturing, purchasing, invoice control, billing, and reporting on SAP.

What is most valuable?

It integrates everything into one process.

What needs improvement?

There will always be something within our business that it won't fit.

The scalability is good.

They have dealt with our issues well. The technical support is good.

What other advice do I have?

Think of processes as not being linear. Think of them as being three dimensional. You have to consider not just what you want to achieve out of processes, but also if there are secondary consequences.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: Whether the product is compatible with SAP.

Head Of Information Systems at MBDA
    User
    ECC has poor ergonomics. Finance view across functions is valuable, and the platform facilitates the automation of transactional processes

What is our primary use case?

European migration in the 2000's was the main reason to change. The legacy mainframe bespoke application was difficult to maintain.

How has it helped my organization?

We were able to consolidate various obsolete IT systems 15 years ago in the context of merging several companies into a more integrated business.

What is most valuable?

Finance view across functions has been valuable. The platform has been used to automate transactional processes.

What needs improvement?

The ergonomics of ECC were poor and unattractive to newcomers, as businesses expect process streamlining.

it_user870699 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Transportation Planning Responsible with 10,001+ employees
    Provides us with an efficient, real-time warehouse management system

What is our primary use case?

I use SAP for logistics transactions. I test SAP transactions to make sure they work correctly and train colleagues who are SAP users.

How has it helped my organization?

As our Warehouse Management System, SAP efficiently manages our warehouse operations in real-time.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are its worldwide reach.

What needs improvement?

Although you can use SAP as a Warehouse Management System, and you don’t need any other program for that purpose, it is not enough as a Transportation Management System. You need another program which is integrated with SAP. I think this is an area where SAP should improve. It should be work as a Transportation Management System.

Three to five years.
    Eliram Yakar - PeerSpot reviewer
    Team leader SAP Development at Ness Technologies | נס טכנולוגיות
    Consolidates multiple back-office systems into one platform with a single database
    • "The power of ABAP Development Tools is the main valuable feature in the SAP ECC system. Every couple of years SAP upgrades ABAP technology significantly, which facilitates developers' work."

What is our primary use case?

As a manager/team leader and developer with a strong technical background, I work with all aspects of the system in various industries and use cases.

How has it helped my organization?

SAP ECC consolidates five to seven back-office systems under one platform in our organization.

What is most valuable?

The power of ABAP Development Tools is the main valuable feature in the SAP ECC system. Every couple of years SAP upgrades ABAP technology significantly, which facilitates developers' work.

What needs improvement?

The user interface has room for improvement. SAP is working on it and the improvements are on the way.

More than five years.

I encountered issues due to human error. SAP support solved the problems. Technical support for customers has improved a lot. It includes live chat support so, in some cases, you can get answers to solve your problem immediately.

SAP ECC is not cheap but I consider it the best system for managing an organization's data and processes.

What other advice do I have?

SAP ERP is the best product for managing all back-office processes in a large organization. All data is stored in a single system which includes one database.

it_user868626 - PeerSpot reviewer
    SAP logistic experts-Mgr MDM Buisness analysis IT Enterprise Program at Teva Pharmaceuticals at Teva Pharmaceuticals
    Gives us full control over changes, to the level of individual fields in a master record

What is our primary use case?

We use two modules. Materials Management (MM) handles the procurement-to-payment process, from inventory through final invoice receipt and verification. Master Data Governance (MDG) centrally creates, changes, and distributes or consolidates master data across the complete enterprise system landscape.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives us full control over each change, to the level of the individual field in a master record, including certificates.

What is most valuable?

MDG provides a central location for governance of the creation/updating processes of master data. It allows you to change several fields in the same object. For example, we can change a field on the purchasing view and change another field on an accounting view to the same material at the same time.

What needs improvement?

The UI could use improvement.

Corporate Information Management at Gebr. Heller Maschinenfabrik GmbH
    The new Visual Enterprise functionalities give an intuitive approach to data

What is our primary use case?

It runs our company. We try to put as much into the system to have data consistency. Heavy integration is available with all types of systems, and we use it.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives one answer to questions. That is the beauty of an integrated system. Everybody is using it.

What is most valuable?

The new Visual Enterprise functionalities: They give an intuitive approach to data and make communication between engineering and production easy.

What needs improvement?

Improvements to the UI. The UI is pretty old, but this will change with the upcoming release of S.4.

It needs a more complete guidance with complete processes. Right now, it only has single transactions.

it_user540270 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior HCM Consultant at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
    Provides built-in localized versions.

What is most valuable?

• Supported over 180 types of business
    • Seamless integration inside SAP
    • Quick updates
    • Built-in localized versions

How has it helped my organization?

I work on project-based organization. There was no method to plan, record, monitor and invoice the hours other than a spreadsheet. After implementing SAP, these processes are being incorporated with a very high level of satisfaction.

What needs improvement?

The talent management sub-modules need to be improved more. Clients are looking for more flexibility and a better GUI.

I have used it for almost seven years.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

Technical support is 6/10.

Overall, initial setup is very complex.

What other advice do I have?

If you have the budget, then I would highly recommend implement it.

Muralidhara H N - PeerSpot reviewer
    SAP Professional at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    The most valuable features for us are the finance and analytics functions.

What is most valuable?

• Supply Chain Management (MM, SD, CS, PP, PM and WM)
    • Finance and Controlling (FI/CO)
    • Human Capital Management (HCM)
    • Analytics (BI and BO)
    • Quality Management (QM)
    • Project System (PS)
    • SRM, CRM, ESS/MSS, EP and so on

How has it helped my organization?

Decision making, requirement planning, and real-time MIS have all improved within the company.

What needs improvement?

Certain things are off-the shelf, but there are a few things that need to be developed based on client specific or unique business processes.

Nearly two decades

There have been no issues with the deployment.

There have been no stability issues.

There have been no issues scaling it.

Very good

Very good

We have implemented in several solutions and used them across our various organizations.

Straightforward

Initially through SAP Partners and then in-house

Less than 24 Months

To optimize the Licensing cost, please choose different SAP Users.

To minimize the implementation cost, try to adopt Rapid Deployment Solutions

Yes, with other ERP solutions like Oracle, Microsoft and so on.

What other advice do I have?

SAP ERP is capable of handling all types of business scenarios and industry verticals.

Seamtech Consulting conducts Manhattan WMS Training and Manhattan OMS Training through Online or Classroom based. Training is conducted by 20 yrs experienced industry professional and Manhattan Consultants. Please visit
    www.seamtech.in for details. or contact +91-8334942473 or +1(760)548-4931

it_user520524 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Programmer Analyst Principal Leader at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    It standardizes processes. Employee/manager self-service could be improved.

What is most valuable?

Human capital management - time and payroll

How has it helped my organization?

• Standardization of processes
    • Better control
    • Ease of reporting
    • Cost saving
    • Working with the most comprehensive payroll solution in the world

What needs improvement?

• Employee/manager self-service
    • The product is an on-premise version. SAP has already released SuccessFactors(SF), which is SaaS. Going forward, SAP will be making significant investments in developing SF.

I have used it for 10 years.

I have not really encountered any stability issues.

I have encountered scalability issues, but not to a critical extent.

Technical support is decent.

I have had a chance to work with Workday, SF and SAP ECC. I have worked with SAP ECC the most, being an established payroll and time solution in the market. SF is catching up, but that again is a product of SAP itself. We need to understand that SAP ECC is an on-premise system, whereas SF and Workday are cloud solutions, still evolving as far as payroll and time evaluation features are concerned. However, from the standpoint of other HR processes/workflows, those products have an edge over ECC.

Initial setup is a little complex when compared with Workday and SF.

Before choosing this product, PeopleSoft was considered.

What other advice do I have?

Go for Workday or SuccessFactors as the system of record, and SAP ECC as the payroll and time management product, if you wish to process these functions in-house.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is a SAP Technology Partner.
    it_user326337 - PeerSpot reviewer
    it_user326337Customer Success Manager at IT Central Station

This review written by Muralidhara also emphasizes the finance function as a highly valuable feature in the solution --

Can you provide further insight and how this feature has enhanced your experience?

Chief Strategy Officer at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Real time end-to-end transactions is invaluable. UI needs improvement.

What is most valuable?

• Real Time end-to-end transactions
    • Industry standard flows
    • Structured data

How has it helped my organization?

• End-to-end visibility
    • Streamlined and ingrained our process

What needs improvement?

• User Interface / User Experience
    • Social features like @mention
    • Workflow engine
    • Browser Capabilities
    • Production Planning

Three years.

Deploying an ERP is a tough task, if not the toughest. It has to do with the fact that our staff did not understand the software well enough, just as the software did not understand us well enough, as we went live.

No issues encountered.

Yes. Sybase, the newly-acquired RDBMS SAP was purchased and we were integrating it into the ERP, didn't scale well and was slow initially. Being one of the first customers of the Sybase/SAP ERP combo, I was disappointed that SAP didn't test out its integration with Sybase thoroughly prior to release.

Aside from the patch, this problem was solved by changing the worker thread parameter on Sybase. We had to rely on our own knowledge based on our previous experience with Sybase.

OK. SAP responded with a patch to our Sybase issue within weeks we of us filing the issue.

OK. The technical support are provided by local SAP partners.

We used a homegrown one. It was getting a bit long in the tooth.

Complex. SAP ERP, even with its so-called industry-specific best practice, does not fit everybody. It must be custom configured to fit your company.

Through a vendor. Their expertise was good.

The ROI, though unofficial, comes from the somewhat shrinking inventory due to an intelligent MRP and the fact that most parts are now fully-accountable for. The ERP has touched upon every corner of our business. While it has streamlined some functional departments right away, other departments have not been adjusted according to my wishes. To get more ROI from an ERP, we have to conduct more data analysis using BI tools (in our case Tableau) to streamline our operations and find problematic issues.

The software was around US$600,000 for 230 users and the vendor implementation cost was around US$1.5 million. The day-to-day cost of using the product is low. Just electricity and user administration maintenance.

• Oracle ERP
    • Yonyou ERP

What other advice do I have?

Allocate enough time to do the blueprint and UAT well, but don't drag on the project for too long. 1 year is good -- not too long and not too short.

it_user311268 - PeerSpot reviewer
    SAVP Accounting Information System Manager at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We're now able to do deep costing analyses, although initial setup was complex.

What is most valuable?

SAP Controlling and Fund Management

How has it helped my organization?

SAP Controlling give the control of managerial cost in control for management especially accounting. It enables deep costing analysis, cost allocation model and drill down functionality. with Fund Management organization can embed budget control rules to control any budget commitment, consumption before its too late.

What needs improvement?

Its table and structure complexity is a love and hate situation. Although ABAP created SAP, it's costly to recruit and maintain ABAP.

I've used it for three years.

It's manageable.

No issues encountered.

Never encountered issues.

It's the best.

It's the best.

We've always been using SAP.

It was complex, as the company policy needs to evolves at the pace of system functionality and the design direction.

We used a vendor team who were 8/10.

It's around three years, and the ROI can be vague as we use only finance and accounting related module, along with MM. Basically, our ROI is derived from the amount of estimate savings we calculated, and the budget saved.

Look around at three or four vendors.

Microsoft Dynamics AX

What other advice do I have?

If transformation is what you're looking for, then SAP is your answer. Keep in mind that you need to change yours, and others, mind set. At the end of the day, it's for the organization's future sake.

General Manager with 1,001-5,000 employees
    SAP All in One vs. Oracle E-Business Suite vs. Microsoft Axapta

We put together an ERP evaluation for 3 proposed solutions.

The top 3 packages considered for detailed evaluation – SAP All in One, Oracle E-Business Suite, Microsoft Axapta. The Key Criteria used for Evaluation are as follows:

A. Functional Fit to meet current Business Requirements

B. Flexibility to support Future Enhancements

C. Project Implementation and Support

Functional Fit to meet current Business Requirements:

Bill of Material: Available for all three solutions.

Utility tracking - all available except for Period end allocation to batches during month's end which is unavailable for both Oracle and Axapta.

Integration of different modules - Unavailable for Oracle.

Cost Accounting/Drill down capabilities of reports - Not available for Oracle.

Language compatibility - available in all three solutions.

Production reporting, in terms of operation-wise reporting, is available in all three solutions.

Reorder level planning/Generates Orders based on Re-order level and Safety Stock - available for all three solutions.

Flexibility to support Future Enhancements

Organization Structure: Regional cum Product line based matrix organization/Financial data capture along product line and geography based organisational structure - available for all three solutions. For Specialized Customer Orders and Expiry Date based Goods Issue - functionality not available for Axapata. Interface of PLC with ERP through middleware is available for all three of the solutions.

Project Implementation and Support:

Timeline for implementation would vary according to solution, for SAP the timeline would be 5 months, for Oracle 6 months and for Axapata 4 months. In terms of Ongoing Support, for SAP there is Availability of SAP Expertise within OLAM (QCH); for Oracle Expertise in Oracle Forms and Java;and for Axapata there is no in-house expertise.

Senior System Analyst at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It was complex to set-up as there was a lot of data conversion involved​ however it has created a paperless environment

What is most valuable?

• Procurement
    • Warehousing
    • Inventory management

How has it helped my organization?

SAP ERP has created a paperless environment for us. We used to have an electronic system but at some stage it was required to be recorded manually on paper. Also there were some other issues, for the maintenance approval, a hard copy was required but now these sort of approvals are through the system.

What needs improvement?

Every activity creates its own unique Document Number even in the same line of action. For example, if it issues some materials using activity code 201, and then a reversal using code 202 our reference # should be the same, with the same line number. In the backend, a separate document number can be created.

Also PR should be the reference number from creation until the materials are received by the common users.

Since 2010.

Data transfer was an issue.

Satisfactory.

6 out of 10

Yes, and the decision to switch came from management.

Complex as there was a lot of data conversion involved

We used a vendor team, expertise was 6/10.

Good

Not known but costly.

DBS, and ASI were also considered but management chose ERP.

What other advice do I have?

Positive solution.

Senior Project Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    A comprehensive ERP solution with all key business processes covered, lacking on the user friendliness front.

I have been working with SAP ERP solution for more than 14 years in different capacities including Developer, Functional/ Technical Consultant, Solution Architect and Project Manager. I have been involved in more than 20 different SAP ERP implementations in different industry verticals and companies of varied sizes.

There are couple of big advantages with SAP ERP. The most important one is the end-to-end functional coverage it provides. All the important business processes including Procure-to-Pay, Order-to-Cash, Plan-to-Produce, Inventory Management, Plant Maintenance, Project Management are covered quite extensively; with many possible variations in the solution and integration of all these into Financials and Management Accounting. On top of it, there are industry specific solutions for more than 25 different types of industries to address specific needs of the industry type. While most of the other comparable ERP products in market do also provide a good coverage, I think SAP edges most of them (may be only slightly on core functionalities and significantly on the industry specific solutions). Second advantage with SAP is acceptance of the solution as a global standard due to which integration with many other non-SAP solutions is much easier with SAP than other ERP solutions.

SAP also has many other complementary solutions including SAP CRM, SRM, BI, SCM which can help in achieving additional functionality. Again, integration within these solutions is much easier.

On the flipside, SAP solutions are a little rigid in their architecture and in few occasions, the desire to make the solution comprehensive has led to the solution being too cumbersome. Administering the SAP solutions, especially for large multi-country implementations is a nightmare. Another commonly heard complaint about SAP is its lack of user friendly front-end. While SAP has taken significant strides in this direction in the recent past, it still is a very complex tool and involves significant training effort (and continuous ongoing trainings) for end-users to use it effectively.

In summary, SAP is a very good ERP but needs significant ongoing effort in maintaining the solution, thus limiting its usability for small-to-medium sized organisations.

Owner at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Very stable, Infinite business process scenarios

Valuable Features

Finance, Controlling, Material management, Plant maintenance. The integration between the various components.

Room for Improvement

User experience

Use of Solution

Almost 10 years

Customer Service: Very goodTechnical Support: Very good
    Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: SAP Consultant
    Muralidhara H N - PeerSpot reviewer
    Muralidhara H NSAP Professional at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees

Seamless backward and forward integration

it_user5520 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Network Manager at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
    Top rated ERP, but not very user friendly and tech support is lacking.

Valuable Features:

SAP ERP provides business efficiency to the basic business functions of finance, inventory, production, customer service, sales all in one database. Is designed for middle and large size companies. The database can be designed for specific industries, and there is the ability to choose features specific to your companies needs. There is an allowance for multiple company databases to be combined into one, which can reduce company costs, and reduce data redundancy. SAP ERP is top rated in functionality compared to other ERP systems that we also evaluated.

Room for Improvement:

The price of SAP ERP is greater than other companies with the equivalent product. Technical support is not as efficient as our company would like. It is very difficult to know when upgrades or patches are available. SAP ERP is not as user friendly for new computer users.
    it_user177144 - PeerSpot reviewer
    it_user177144Senior System Analyst at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees

I would agree that SAP is top rated ERP solution and I would also agree that for some users it is not user freindly. System Tailoring is importent factor which can make the system user friendly. There is lot of improvement is required (as far as my access is concerned) in doucmentation. Every transaction produce new document. It is ok if it is at backend but frontend it is not helpful. The return processes can be improved much.