Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

SAP ERP OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SAP ERP is #1 ranked solution in top ERP tools. PeerSpot users give SAP ERP an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. SAP ERP is most commonly compared to Anaplan: SAP ERP vs Anaplan. SAP ERP is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 64% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 19% of all views.
SAP ERP Buyer's Guide

Download the SAP ERP Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is SAP ERP?
SAP ERP addresses the core business software requirements of midsize and large organizations in all industries and sectors. SAP ERP includes four individual solutions that support key areas of enterprise resource planning: human capital management, financials, operations, corporate services.
SAP ERP Customers
B&G Manufacturing, Unilever, Life is good Inc., Joy Global Inc., City of Cape Town, Bhopal Municipal, Corporation (BMC), adidas Group, Butcher & Packer Supply Company, Franklin Valve L.P., Evoshield, Prime Meats, a Norsan Group company, EMC Corporation, Varian Medical Systems Inc., FC Bayern Mªnchen AG, AkzoNobel Chemicals B.V., T¾V Rheinland, Pacific Drilling S.A., Fire & Rescue New South Wales, University of Amsterdam, Pa_alon S.A.
SAP ERP Video

SAP ERP Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SAP ERP pricing:
  • "It could always be cheaper. They don't have a very easy model of licensing, but large entities would get the upper hand in negotiating the license."
  • "When you have a solution that is stable, reliable, and has a high performance as this solution, the price is going to be expensive. However, when you evaluate the service you are paying for the cost is quite reasonable for this solution."
  • SAP ERP Reviews

Desmond Festus - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Officer ERP at Swakop Uranium
    Excellent and straightforward solution with great optimization capabilities
    • "The implementation is very straightforward."
    • "The system is over-customized."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to review processes the parent company implements in China. Extra configurations on the system are included based on optimization proposals, and we can optimize the functions to the requirements. In addition, I work as a certified MM consultant and have access to minimal usability functions.

What is most valuable?

A valuable feature is the application of customer feedback to improve the system by the retailer. Millions of dollars have been saved doing this. Improvements relating to costing structures can be made, and the system usability from on-premise to cloud and the terabytes and gigabytes required in the system have dramatically reduced. An example is working in the MM area with the system. Only a simple vendor had master data and many tables. From 40, the SAP on the cloud or the HANA version has reduced it to two tables. So it's a significant decrease still growing. By applying customer feedback, they have improved as retailers of their products.

What needs improvement?

We have never had a bad experience with this solution, except for how the system is over-customized. When customizing, it bypasses the standard protocols, and SAP is not a very dynamic system. It's static, and rules drive it. So when the system does not allow the creation of custom codes to bypass protocols, it becomes slightly offsetting because the system no longer functions as an SAP system. This information is based on the current features provided at our company.

Additionally, we would love more integration with the functions we need. For example, the core SAP is minimal. It runs basic things, but we would like the inclusion of contract management and warehouse management in the deployed standard releases and not as add-ons. The add-ons are costly, and companies don't want to purchase them. However, if the add-ons were free, it would be great.

We have been using this solution for about 28 years. We use the ECCC enhancement package seven.

SAP ERP
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about SAP ERP. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    633,184 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is stable. For example, you'll have issues if you don't do your patches regularly in other software. However, for this solution, the production environment is very stable.

The solution is scalable. We can add users to the system without issues, but getting them loaded on the system requires approval. When you load a user on SAP and understand what the user is supposed to do, it takes you about five minutes to load the user. Currently, we have about 638 users on the system, and about 60% are active users. Currently, we have about 638 users in different roles on the system.

I rate my experience with customer service and support as excellent. The one time we reached out to them for issues, they were efficient in their responses and response time.

The implementation is very straightforward when implemented directly with the right team. However, if you are migrating from another system, the implementation is more difficult because you have many compatibilities, and the deployment timeline varies. For example, in one of the companies I previously worked at, we started in 2004 and ended in 2008, but other issues elongated the process. As a result, we did the complete handover in 2008. At another company, we began in 2014 and ended in 2016. However, they were already using the system, but it wasn't fully deployed until 2016, as the modules were completed based on business requirements.

From my perspective, when you deploy it, the SAP instantly comes with several users and a pre-given user license. Each additional user added charges differently, and additional license fees are applied. Regarding HANA, there is a split in finance core asset management, inventory management, and supply chain, and they have buckets with the ERP on the previous version. There can also be add-ons. However, the standard things required by the business must be structured together and not charged as stand-alone as they are now with the HANA cloud versions.

Currently, the estimate for the license per user is between 20,000 to 40,000 USD. Although I am unsure of the exact number it costs in that range, every time I request a new user, I have to justify the need to my company because they claim it falls in that range per user license.

We chose this solution because of its stability, and the system offered everything we wanted. In my company, I primarily research IFS, and this solution was the first time I heard of IFS and SAP because they met all our work requirements. Since we work in mines, we use different systems like geology, metal and accounting, and they need to integrate with SAP, and SAP is very flexible for that.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a ten out of ten. I'll advise individuals who want to use this solution for the first time to ensure they get the right team to implement it. It might be expensive, but I'll advise them to use the SAP team because SAP regularly deploys the best staff. The experience throughout the project is super. Most times, end users get disappointed in system performance or the scalability of the system function because of the implementers. Once you have a good team and project manager, you can meet timelines and deliverables and have a smooth implementation process. It takes under six months to implement SAP fully with the right team. This solution is good but can improve by including more integration functions in the next release.

Ra456it - PeerSpot reviewer
    Digital Business Solutions - Key Account Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Reseller
    Comprehensive, perfect for utility service providers, and capable of scaling up to meet the needs of large organizations
    • "It is a utility-focused solution, and the deployment is very much aligned with utility service providers. If you look at the supply chain and the overall business model of a utility service provider, SAP is something that fits very well. That's because the company has invested tremendously in creating appropriate workflows pertaining to this segment or domain."
    • "It could always be cheaper. There is no doubt about it."

What is our primary use case?

Primarily, I'm the account manager for an account that has the largest SAP implementation in the world in the utility segment. It is being used by a national utility service provider, and they use everything SAP, except for SAP SuccessFactors.

We primarily have on-premises solutions being sold in this region for the utility companies. In UAE, there are a lot of data residency regulations because of which cloud solutions are not preferred. Companies prefer on-premises solutions.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

It could always be cheaper. There is no doubt about it.

In terms of features, it is as good as it can be. It cannot be anything more with its current structure. When a new challenge comes up, they're going to scale up to meet that challenge.

I have been working with this solution for quite a number of years. It has probably been more than 10 years.

I am absolutely satisfied with its stability and performance.

It is very scalable. There are only a few companies that can actually deliver an ERP or the overall business model solution at this scale. There are not a lot of players. We have SAP, and we have Epicor and others too, but we know that Epicor can never scale up to what a national service provider would need. We are talking about serving 80,000 or 85,000 people on a daily basis, so a different type of business scalability is required. Overall, we have about 10 clients who use this solution.

We have dedicated support from SAP, and there is nobody more knowledgeable than SAP when it comes to SAP products.

If we need to change anything, we can just call up SAP, and they would come down and do it for us because we are not an SME. If it were an SME, then obviously, SAP, Oracle, or other big companies will not be able to do a change for us, but because of the size that we have, if we need to make a change, SAP will go ahead, invest, and make the change in the application itself.

It is an extremely complicated deployment. The deployment is completely customized for my customers here, and it could not be made simpler.

It could always be cheaper. They don't have a very easy model of licensing, but large entities would get the upper hand in negotiating the license.

What other advice do I have?

For a large organization, SAP is the best way to go. It is also perfect if you are into manufacturing, oil and gas, natural resources, utilities, etc. If you're into finance, you can go with Oracle. If you are a small and medium business, you can go with Epicor or something else. It depends on the business requirements you have and the scale of your organization, business operations, customer base, etc.

I would rate it an eight out of 10. It is definitely up in the top three. No product will ever reach a 10 because the landscape keeps on changing in terms of the requirements within the business and the requirements of the customer. So, there is nothing that can be 100% aligned to meet all business requirements. We are in an evolving, constantly changing business environment, so it is not something that is practical. You can keep on striving, and you can keep on trying to improve your processes, tools, technologies, and the people who work on them, but at the end of the day, when you're looking at an ERP system, it is not about 100% alignment. It is about going for the best-fit approach, and in my opinion, SAP is a good fit for customers.

SAP ERP
    September 2022
    633,184 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Christophe VANDEWEGHE - PeerSpot reviewer
    Director of Transformation SAP at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
    Scales well and the claim management feature is useful
    • "The most valuable features are the claim management."
    • "There are a lot of manual tasks that are used by a lot of people, so it is a very good candidate for RPA."

What is our primary use case?

We are a consulting company and SAP ERP is one of the products that we implement for our customers. Our primary role is to advise them on tools and strategy, including business use cases that they want to transform.

With ERP, we are working with customers who are looking for S/4HANA transformation, mainly from a greenfield approach. For RPA, we want to add some value in the business case because the business case of the S/4HANA transformation is not so easy to find. So we use some techniques like RPA to find more money around this transformation.

Right now we try to automate some functionality, which is not yet really good, within ERP. We really want to connect via API to the RFP tool to S/4HANA in fact.

We do business consulting or IT consulting, and do not provide support. We do advise them on tools and strategy, including business cases that they have to transform. We work with them up to this point and do not do the implementation.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the claim management. We also find the automation for the process within the "purchase to pay" can be valuable as well. We know that SAP already has an RPA solution to automate the reconciliation between the invoice and the orders, so we don't think that we can find a lot there. We would like to have some use cases with logistics and so on, but we don't have much right now.

We have a "purchase to pay" process, which is in SAP Ariba but mainly within the ERP. We would like to have more around purchasing because with purchasing we have a lot of money to gain and it could be very good for the business case.

What needs improvement?

There are a lot of manual tasks that are used by a lot of people, so it is a very good candidate for RPA. SAP says that if you want to extend the solutions, you need to use some solution outside of SAP for RPA, on a platform as a service or whatever. So, if SAP could have some option, but this not the tool or the best platform that is in the market. So we try to find some solutions to better convince our customers.

I began working with SAP in 1992, about 28 years ago.

We have experienced no problems with stability.

Scalability has not been an issue for our customers. Our smaller clients have between 2,000 and 3,000 users, whereas a large company has between 10,000 and 20,000 users.

Normally our customers are in retail, the chemical industry, and energy companies. The setup is usually quite complex. When we want them to transform to S/4HANA it has been mainly customized. There are a lot of specifics because their processes are generally not straightforward.

The deployment will take perhaps two months, on average.

What other advice do I have?

When it comes to financing or accounting, SAP is quite enormous. When a company has to produce on every quarter, the numbers that would be in the SAP report, it is quite good. It has very long, long, long life behind it. Logistics, it's still okay. But for the rest, we just started G-Cloud first with a software as a service application. For HR, you have Workday, for instance.

For key purchasing, maybe go to SAP Ariba. If you are looking for Salesforce automation, for instance CRM, maybe you will go to Salesforce. It really depends on which process you want to clone and you want to target, but for the core finance, S/4HANA is a good solution.

Shahzad-Islam - PeerSpot reviewer
    ERP Project Manager & Managing Consultant at Liwa Education, Iranfava
    Flexible with lots of great configuration capabilities and easy to scale
    • "The stability and performance are good."
    • "The initial setup is complex."

What is our primary use case?

The majority of the projects I was involved with were for production companies with huge manufacturing capabilities.

What is most valuable?

The solution is ideal for large enterprises. Normally, the companies begin bigger in size and have many production facilities. In terms of SAP ERP, it's best for very large organizations.

The detail of the configuration test thas appealed to me the most. I can do a lot of things in it. There are many great features on it. If you learn its code, you can do a lot of things. Generally, there's a lot of possibilities as the solution is quite vast and flexible. The possibility to configure it to fit any shape is great.

The solution can scale well.

The stability and performance are good.

What needs improvement?

The product is not a good fit for smaller companies.

It would be better if they completed the Fiori user interface. They really need to improve the interface. It would be great if even the older interface could be updated.

The initial setup is complex.

Technical support needs to be more helpful or responsive.

The training is expensive.

I've been working with the product for three to four years at this point.

The stability is good. The performance is very good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The scalability is very good. If a company needs to expand it, it can. It's ideally for large organizations.

The technical support is not very good. We are not satisfied with the level of service we get. Microsoft, for example, offers better support.

I also use Microsoft.

The one thing different between this solution and Microsoft is, with Microsoft, normally the application training is relatively free or very low cost. The training for us for HANA or SAP ERP is expensive. They should think of reducing the pricing, or even offer free training, as that will help with awareness in the user and the better usage of the application.

It's a complex application to initially set up. It takes time and you have to save a lot of small integrated details. There's so much configuration and features are available which makes the setup relatively hard. That said, it works. If you know it well, you can do it well. If you don't have the background, you will struggle.

The features on offer make it worth the price. It's not expensive in the sense that if the company needs the features, they will be willing to pay for them. They're necessary to the core business.

What other advice do I have?

I am an implementer consultant. I worked with a Microsoft partner and I've worked with an SAP partner, however, my work is as an implementer or implementation consultant.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. I find it better than Microsoft as an option.

SAP ERP is kind of a big effort. Therefore, the more learning and time taken for the implementation, the better off you will be. That said, it's an excellent solution.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Implementor
    Project and Service delivery Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    The biggest ERP system globally that has great features and can do pretty much everything
    • "If you are well versed in SAP, the initial setup is pretty simple."
    • "Technical support could be better."

What is our primary use case?

It's the biggest and the most prominent ERP system in business, globally, and it can be used for almost anything. This is one of the biggest advantages of SAP - having so many modules and supporting so many different industrial sectors. Therefore, it would be hard to find what the SAP can't do.

What is most valuable?

The solution is the biggest ERP system globally and can do pretty much anything.

With all the complexity, there isn't any tool that is so complex and offers so many features as the SAP does those days.

If you are well versed in SAP, the initial setup is pretty simple.

What needs improvement?

It's pretty pricey for the functionality.

In certain barriers, for example, CRM, Salesforce can do better than the analog tools in SAP. It's not naturally grown from its own development of the SAP and a lot of products or solutions are bought in or purchased by SAP. I'm using different technologies due to this.

A major problem of SAP these days is it's not homogenous. It's a conglomerate of many different solutions and systems, which are not very well integrated.

The initial setup can be difficult if your team is unfamiliar with the product.

Technical support could be better.

I've worked with the solution on and off for 15 years. I didn't spend the last 15 years just implementing SAP ERP. I did all other kinds of projects as well. That said, I've worked with the product for a while.

I was doing working with three different companies for the past 15 years as well as a couple of external clients. I've used it across a few different industries.

Technical support definitely can be faster. We have had a couple of tickets in solution support opened for a long, long time without proper or satisfactory response. We're not 100% happy with the level of support we receive.

The setup complexity depends on how strong of a team you have. If you have enough experience, then no major problem with implementation. For the cloud solutions, now you don't even really install. You just get your own tenant developed or created by the SAP itself.

The size of the technical team you will need depends on your business scale. You can do it with a small team of two or three people if it's a small implementation. You can also deal with the thousands of mandates if it's a complex enterprise implementation. That said, it's the same or very similar with any other tool as the complexity is not driven by the tool itself. Rather, it is the business processes of a customer.

It's definitely not the cheapest system to license and run. It could be cheaper.

Typically, they offer yearly licensing agreements.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not only an end-user. I'm a project manager who has implemented it in the past.

The solution can be deployed both on-premises and on the cloud.

I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

I would recommend the solution to other users and organizations.

Usman Saleem - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Manager IT Business Systems Architect / SAP Project Manager at a consumer goods company with 201-500 employees
    Very mature with good procurement and payment processing aspects
    • "The solution is very mature."
    • "The user interface isn't as nice as SAP HANA's."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solutions from anchoring to sketching all the business processes and documentation. It can be used in everything from manufacturing to finance or even marketing. Every process you can fit inside ERP.

What is most valuable?

The solution has many valuable features.

The procurement and payment processing aspects are very helpful.

The product launch capabilities and plans for builds are very good.

When compared to, for example, Oracle, this solution is much, much bigger.

The solution is very mature.

Technical support has been very helpful.

We've found the solution to be very stable.

The scalability is good.

Users will find the initial setup to be pretty straightforward.

What needs improvement?

Overall, the solution isn't lacking any features.

What the company can get out of the solutions very much dependant on the users. They need to be knowledgeable about the product.

The user interface isn't as nice as SAP HANA's. They need to work on improving it in future versions.

We have used the solution for the past four years at this point. It's been a while.

The stability has been very good so far. There are bugs and glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's very reliable.

The solution is very easy to scale. IOf a company needs to expand it, it can do so.

It's also very easy to integrate with other solutions and legacy systems.

We have about 500 users on the solution currently. We use it quite regularly.

we don't really deal with technical support very often. They are pretty efficient and they respond on time. So far, we are satisfied with the level of support provided.

We're in the process of moving to SAP S4 HANA. S4 will provide all the business processes required. Whatever you need it has on offer.

The initial setup is simple. It's not complex. You have a range of requirements on the system, therefore, you don't need more complexity configuring the system.

While we used a business partner who assisted us originally, we now have the internal knowledge to handle everything in-house.

Our IT handles any aspect of the maintenance that might be required.

Originally, it was configured by a business partner in Pakistan.

The pricing is modular. You are charged according to the business process you want to take advantage of. However, it's a bit better than Oracle. For example, if I am using Oracle's finance and manufacturing modules, I need two licenses, however, in SAP, we only need one license that captures all processes we're using.

There are no additional costs beyond the central licensing.

What other advice do I have?

We are just a customer and an end-user of the solution. We don't have a business relationship with SAP.

We are in the final migrating phase from SAP ERP to SAP S4 HANA. We hope to finalize it within the year.

I'd recommend the solution to other users. I would rate it at a ten out of ten.

Development Specialist at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Provides great features, processes, and functionalities; offers a lot of customization
    • "The solution has far more features, processes, and functionalities than we previously had."
    • "Functionality could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I work at a hospital and SAP provides core components. We're in the health industry and we use industry solutions that are designed specifically for health care. We are customers of SAP ERP and I'm a development specialist at a health institution in Colombia.

What is most valuable?

This product has a lot of good features. We previously used several systems that were very difficult to integrate. ERP is great because it's more or less integrated and that makes a big difference in our organization. The modeling of the SAP ERP means it has far more features, processes, and more functionalities than we previously had. In every aspect, SAP is an enterprise solution that has a lot of customization and, as a hospital, it offers us tremendous help that supports our processes.

What needs improvement?

There's a lot of functionality that could be improved. We are far better now than we were before, but as a hospital we are very sensitive about security and risk because clinical information is very sensitive so we're using an on-prem solution. We're not ready to go to the cloud and I feel that SAP is trying to force us into the cloud. That is a very different model and would be a huge effort because they are very different licensing models and there are different costs involved. In addition, there are some tools we use that no longer have support for the on-prem versions. The other aspect that's important for us is availability of our systems, and without that we'd be in trouble. If you need security 24/7 and you have a cloud solution there might be a couple of areas where the platform is down and there are disruptions. That's a huge problem for us. I'd like to see some support for the on-premise solution.

I've been using this solution for 10 years.

This solution is rock solid stable. We had some minor performance issues when we migrated from Oracle to the HANA Database but it's been very stable since then.

The solution is scalable. We also have multiple back up systems so if one goes down there is immediate back up that's transparent for the user, because we're totally dependent on our systems.

We generally receive support from the vendor. If the problem needs more expertise, then we call SAP, but normally we talk to the vendor and they are helpful.

The initial setup is not easy. To deploy SAP ERP you need consultants and you need training. There's a lot to learn before you can properly use the product because it's a huge solution. It took us a year to complete deployment. We deployed the ERP, the central component and the HCF, the human resources module and industry solutions for healthcare that is EHS and EHSM in a year.

What other advice do I have?

This is a very, very good solution, but a very, very expensive one too. You need infrastructure, you need training, you need a lot of components and a large amount of money. SAP has a lot of functionality.

I rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Mauro  Del Quondam - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Development Director at Lottomatica SpA
    Overall good functionality, beneficial financial modules, and highly stable
    • "I have found all the modules related to finance valuable, such as account management and HR. The entire suite is very useful."
    • "When evaluating the current version I am using now, the SAP GUI is old-style and needs to be replaced with something more modern and easy to use. However, the SAP GUI is very optimized for connection networks and is extremely good. Many people would like to have a WebGUI or something else to have access in a different way. Additionally, there could be some drag and drop functionality added because these features are normally in any website that this solution does not have."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution primarily to manage financial business processes.

What is most valuable?

I have found all the modules related to finance valuable, such as account management and HR. The entire suite is very useful.

What needs improvement?

When evaluating the current version I am using now, the SAP GUI is old-style and needs to be replaced with something more modern and easy to use. However, the SAP GUI is very optimized for connection networks and is extremely good. Many people would like to have a WebGUI or something else to have access in a different way. Additionally, there could be some drag and drop functionality added because these features are normally in any website that this solution does not have.

We are not using the newest version of the solution, it is difficult to say what needs to improve when the improvements could have already been made in the newer version. I did however see a demo version of the newest version and they have made improvements in the overall ability to manage with the solution.

I have been using this solution for approximately 15 years.

The solution stability and performance are very good we are extremely happy. We have not had any problem and when we moved from the old database to SAP HANA it provided improved performance.

In the company where I worked before, we had a large installation of SAP with approximately 10,000 licensed users. The solution was able to handle it without a problem and we were using the classic version of the Oracle database.

In the company I work for currently, we do smaller installations of approximately 350 users. We have not had any problem or any issue regarding performance, it is highly scalable. However, working with S/4 HANA, where all the database is working in the RAM memory could pose some difficulties if you want to scale because you would have to have a computer system with a large number of gigabytes of RAM.

We have only used support a few times for some minor issues, such as the production system blockage, and our experience was good. The support agent was very helpful and quick to answer our problems. I felt we were receiving the maximum level of support.

I have an internal team working on SAP ERP and we are using a very large system integrator from Italy that is assisting us with the implementation, technical support, and safety. We are working together with this system integrator for any big project that we cannot manage internally. This is not for any competencies issues, we only want to increase the number of people working with us to speed up the process.

When you have a solution that is stable, reliable, and has a high performance as this solution, the price is going to be expensive. However, when you evaluate the service you are paying for the cost is quite reasonable for this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I rate SAP ERP a nine out of ten.

Download our free SAP ERP Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022