IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Quest NetVault OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Quest NetVault is #34 ranked solution in best Backup and Recovery Software. PeerSpot users give Quest NetVault an average rating of 8 out of 10. Quest NetVault is most commonly compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Quest NetVault vs Veeam Backup & Replication. Quest NetVault is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 58% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 34% of all views.
Quest NetVault Buyer's Guide

Download the Quest NetVault Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Quest NetVault?

Cloud-ready data recovery software for the hybrid data center. Protect your applications and data on-premises and in the cloud — from one intuitive console — with this scalable data backup and recovery software. NetVault® by Quest supports multiple server and application platforms in both physical and virtual environments. That means you can ensure continuous availability of your business-critical systems, applications and data.

Quest NetVault was previously known as NetVault Backup, Quest NetVault, Quest NetVault Backup.

Quest NetVault Customers

intel, Mars, MERK, Microsoft, Uber, Visa

Quest NetVault Video

Quest NetVault Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Quest NetVault pricing:
  • "The price of our 12-month contract is approximately $1,500 AUD ($1,100 USD)."
  • "When we purchased four licenses, we were given a very good price. However, it is still on the high side when compared to some other vendors."
  • Quest NetVault Reviews

Daniel Nesnídal - PeerSpot reviewer
    Backup Engineer at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
    A simple solution with a well-done dashboard, but there are command-line limitations and it needs better reporting and scheduling
    • "Its dashboard is quite well done. When you log into the GUI, you can basically see everything you need to know. There is also the possibility to edit the view as you like, which is great."
    • "There are command-line limitations. There is not a very strong possibility to work with the command line. The commands that are there are not that powerful, and you need to be very good at scripting, for example, in PowerShell or in Bash in case it is running on Linux systems. You need to combine a lot of commands together, and still, you will not get a great output that is presentable to others. You cannot work with it as easily."

What is our primary use case?

We are using NetVault for client backups and for some virtual machines solutions, such as Hyper-V. We have two servers. One of them has the latest version, and the other one is on version 12.0.4.16.

What is most valuable?

Its dashboard is quite well done. When you log into the GUI, you can basically see everything you need to know. There is also the possibility to edit the view as you like, which is great. It is working fine, and we are able to protect our customer's applications and data across their company with this single solution from Quest.

What needs improvement?

There are command-line limitations. There is not a very strong possibility to work with the command line. The commands that are there are not that powerful, and you need to be very good at scripting, for example, in PowerShell or in Bash in case it is running on Linux systems. You need to combine a lot of commands together, and still, you will not get a great output that is presentable to others. You cannot work with it as easily. Sometimes, I find it confusing, but that could be my personal problem because I am really used to working with a command line. Currently, I'm working with the GUI, and I don't like clicking. There are a lot of windows that I need to check to make sure everything is connected. For example, to check if we have data available for the restore, I need to check three windows. I cannot do it very quickly. It is not very convenient for me. Its reporting can also be improved. It has some predefined reports that you can edit and export in PDF format. They seem nice and are usable for people in managerial roles, but as a technician, I would like to have the option to create my own report. I would also like to have an option to export a report to an Excel format so that I can work with this data afterward. I can't do much with the PDF format. I know that there is a possibility to export a report to a CSV file that you can open with Microsoft Excel, but the options are very limited. For example, if I go to Manage Job Definitions, I have the option to export to CSV, but I have no option to, for example, filter. I would like to filter and choose certain things before exporting. So, there should be an option to export the reports in different formats so that they are usable and easy to work with afterward for us as technicians. Its scheduling options can be improved to support conditions. I am used to working with TSM where you have the option to work with conditions, and these conditions could be really complex. At this moment, with NetVault, you can schedule a backup and set the date, time, or a specific day, but you can't specify any dependency. For example, I can't specify conditions where the backup should be run or triggered only if there is nothing running on the client, or all drives are free. I cannot set how many drives will be used for one backup in particular. There is just one drive for the backup for one client. Such options would be great, but these raise the question about the target audience. I know this tool is not for bigger and more complex environments, but it would be great to have such options.

I have been using NetVault for three months.
    Quest NetVault
    June 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Quest NetVault. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
    607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I am fine with its stability. The main complication that we have on our side is that we do not have, for example, enough tape drives. We are doing backups on the tapes, and because there are hardware limitations, of course, its performance is not that great. So far, I have never seen this tool running at its full potential or at full speed. If everything was ideal, which usually is not the case, I would be very satisfied with this solution. I haven't seen any kind of unusual errors that are not fixable within a few minutes and so on.

Its scalability might not be that easy, but I cannot say it right away because I am still learning this solution. I would be able to talk about scalability after a half year. We are currently using it for the backup of very small environments with up to 500 clients in total. In terms of the number of users, I have one colleague who is mainly focusing on the tool. He is also a backup technician like me. The plan is that I will take over, but there won't be more than two of us working on this solution.

I have used their support. When there is something that we are not able to solve, we have the option to go to the Quest site and open a ticket, and we get the response.  I was very satisfied with their support. I was much more satisfied with their support than with the support of other tools, such as Spectrum Protect. It was quick and straightforward. They were easy to understand, and in the end, the problem was solved. I have nothing bad to say about their support.

We are, of course, using more than one solution, and this is just one small part of our backup business. We are also using NetWorker. If I'm not wrong, we have only one customer of Quest NetVault. If it was up to me, I wouldn't choose this one, but I am working with what I have at the moment, and it's working fine. We have several tools that we are able to manage. We offer a solution that meets the needs of our customers. It depends on what they need to back up. The licenses for plugins for backups for Hyper-V, VMware, SAP DB, etc are usually paid by the customers, and it depends on what they need. If a customer requires a backup of SAP databases or SAP applications, we can offer that, and there are licenses for that. Rather than having a simple or basic file backup, it is better to have the backup done in this way. Otherwise, you will have inconsistency, etc. I am glad that these features and licenses are there, and we can at least offer these, but the choice doesn't depend on me.

I was not involved in its initial setup. I came to this company when everything was already installed and implemented.

What other advice do I have?

It works fine for small businesses, and it can do its job. If it was up to me, I would maybe choose a different solution. I have worked with TSM and IBM Spectrum Protect, and as compared to those, it has the basic features, but it is one of the easiest tools I have worked with.  When implementing a backup solution, I would definitely advise others to really think about the naming convention. Even though it is a simple tool, it can get complicated when things get quite big where you have hundreds of systems. You can get lost if you really do not know about and follow naming conventions. One of the things that I'm planning to do in our environment is to rename everything to have consistency in the naming convention because at the current state it is really making things much more complicated than they should be. I would rate Quest NetVault a seven out of ten.

System Administrator at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Easy to use, stable, affordable pricing model, and good technical support
    • "Having the web-based interface is important to us because we can access it from any computer in the network, rather than having it installed and available for use only on a specific one."
    • "There are certain issues with the product that we report to Quest, and we get offered a workaround instead of a fix. There could be better interaction with the development teams, perhaps in terms of transparency."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product to do backups in VMware.

How has it helped my organization?

It is very important to us that NetVault supports complex hybrid data-center infrastructure because we rely on a stable backup program to be able to provide us with security and usable backups. That's exactly where NetVault comes in.

We are able to protect all of our applications and data across the company using only NetVault. This is very important to us, and NetVault does a really good job at it.

NetVault is really well integrated into the way that we back up our VMs.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that the backup is done using snapshots, and it has a web interface, as opposed to having to install something on our laptops.

What needs improvement?

We are unable to use the latest version due to hardware incompatibility. We need to upgrade our infrastructure to be able to run the latest version of NetVault.

With the version we are running, when Microsoft releases new updates, our backups get frozen and we have to restart them.

I have been working with Quest NetVault since 2018, and it has been used within the company since before that.

Stability-wise, at the moment and with the version we've got, it's not that great. Every time Microsoft releases new updates, something happens to our backups and they get frozen over the weekend. When this happens, we have to restart them all over again.

We have a limited ability to scale up or down because of the infrastructure. We need to get a more compatible server in order to scale up. We are currently going through the process of revamping our infrastructure.

We use this product very extensively. It's used as the primary source of backup for our VM infrastructure and we may have plans to increase usage within the next six to twelve months.

There is only me and one of my colleagues who use the product, and we are both system administrators. We handle the maintenance that is required, including upgrades.

We do not subscribe to Quest Premier Support, where they are onsite with you. When we need to contact them, we either call the number or log a ticket online.

I would definitely rate their technical support a ten out of ten.

The architects that always deal with my tickets are very knowledgeable in the product and understand exactly what's going on. They're able to give us a fix, usually within the same day that they get the ticket. Sometimes, they get a lot of priority tickets, which they act on immediately. This means they're going over and above what it says in the service levels. So, they're exceeding the customers' expectations.

I have used and evaluated many similar solutions to NetVault in the past, and they were more complex. NetVault is a software-based solution running on the server, and it's the easier one that I have used.

This solution was installed before I joined the company. However, I have had to redo it a few times and have learned that it's not hard to install yourself.

My colleague and I are the system administrators and we are responsible for the maintenance. I do the updates and 30% of the troubleshooting. If there is a major problem that I can't fix, I'll send it to Quest.

Our previous license was for a three-year period but the next one coming is for 12 months.

The price of our 12-month contract is approximately $1,500 AUD ($1,100 USD). It covers us for 295 virtual machines.

NetVault's component licensing enables us to buy only the features that we need. We've scaled it down to exactly what we require, which is more affordable for us. We recently changed our licensing model to allow us to back up an unlimited amount of data. Also, we're only using one NetVault plug-in, which means that we just need the VMware plug-in and we don't need the rest. Changing to this operational model is what has saved us money.

We are looking at other possible solutions with data graphs and infrastructure graphs, but that's coming in the future. We're also planning to upgrade NetVault because we're not running the latest version.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering NetVault is that if they're looking for something really easy to use, and they want to back up their VMware environment, then NetVault would be a wise choice. It's not complicated to set up, and it has great after-sales support. They really care about their customers.

The biggest lesson that I have learned from using NetVault is from a configurability point of view. This is a product that is easy to set up and troubleshoot, whereas there are more complex solutions out there that aren't, and require more digging and more research.

Quest NetVault
    June 2022
    607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    IT Manager at Akums Drugs & Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
    Easy to deploy and use, saves us time, effective protection against ransomware
    • "The interface is very user-friendly."
    • "In the next version, I would like to see support for the MongoDB database. As it is now, there is no component that works with it and we cannot back the data up using NetVault."

What is our primary use case?

We have a hybrid environment where we are using Nutanix Xi for virtualization and virtual servers. We are performing backups of all of the servers using Quest NetVault.

How has it helped my organization?

NetVault is good for every kind of workload and the backup is very robust.

We are protecting everything that we have on our servers with it. This is very important for more than one reason. It used to be only in case of accidental deletion, where we could easily recover our data. However, with the arrival of ransomware attacks, it is more important to have a second or third copy of the data. This offers better protection against ransomware.

Using NetVault saves us a lot of time. Previously, our people were performing backups manually and it wasn't possible on a daily basis to verify that the backup had been done. However, after deploying this product, everything is done using a single interface. The operator can check the status of each backup, seeing whether the job was successful or there is an issue. When there are problems, the backup manager can assist in resolving them. Everything is fully automated and it saves a lot of time.

We back up almost 100 servers every day, and this was something that took too long to do manually. It was not possible on a daily basis. Also, we have five servers that are backed up on an incremental basis, which is something else that cannot be performed manually. The NetVault tool is crucial in our environment and it contains almost everything that a backup solution should have.

NetVault provides the latest tools and support for workloads like Acropolis, with virtual machines. Last year, I was searching for a backup solution that supported Nutanix Acropolis and I could not find one. However, after two or three months, I saw on the portal that one has now been provided. After that, I received a demonstration from Quest. With respect to support, there are no challenges and everything is fine.

What is most valuable?

NetVault is easy to deploy and use.

The interface is very user-friendly.

The reporting capabilities are very good.

What needs improvement?

I have been working with Quest NetVault for eight years.

This is a robust solution and we have never had a failure.

This is a scalable solution. I would rate the scalability a nine or ten out of ten.

We are regularly backing up approximately 100 servers.

I am the backup manager so I am usually the one working on it, but there are two subordinates of mine that take care of backup and restore tasks when I am absent.

We are increasing the size of our infrastructure and we will be purchasing additional NetVault licenses for it.

Technical support from Quest is fine, although we don't require much in terms of support. When we have had to use it, support was very good. They gave us a complete solution with an understanding of what happened and how the issue was resolved. In the future, should a similar problem arise, we will be able to solve it ourselves.

We have other backup solutions including Veeam and Commvault.

The main difference between NetVault and Veeam is that Veeam is suited for a purely virtualized environment. We had started with a virtualized environment and slowly, we began to need the features from the physical servers.

With NetVault, it started with support for physical servers. As IT grew and VMs were introduced, the features grew to include support for those. This means that for hybrid workloads, where you have VMs, laptops, and physical servers, NetVault and Commvault are very good options. For purely virtualized environments, Veeam is the number one choice.

The deployment is easy and we completed it within one or two days.

We deployed it ourselves.

Our ROI is that over the past eight years, we have seen various threats and we have always been able to recover our servers successfully, without losing data.

The licensing can be capacity-based or component-based. We are in the process of trying to convert some of our server licenses, which are component-based, to capacity-based licenses.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering NetVault is that it is an enterprise-level grade solution. Some people consider it suitable for SMBs but in reality, it is enterprise-level and supports any kind of industry. It is complete in terms of its capability. It is very easy to use, it has good reporting, and you will not have any challenges with it.

In summary, this is a stable solution that creates robust backups, and the interface is very user-friendly. The main improvement that I would like to see is a plugin for MongoDB.

Download our free Quest NetVault Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: June 2022