OpenNebula OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

OpenNebula is the #9 ranked solution in top Cloud Management tools. PeerSpot users give OpenNebula an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. OpenNebula is most commonly compared to CloudStack: OpenNebula vs CloudStack. OpenNebula is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 47% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 23% of all views.
OpenNebula Buyer's Guide

Download the OpenNebula Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is OpenNebula?

OpenNebula provides the most simple but feature-rich and flexible solution for the comprehensive management of virtualized data centers to enable private, public and hybrid IaaS clouds. OpenNebula interoperability makes cloud an evolution by leveraging existing IT assets, protecting your investments, and avoiding vendor lock-in.

OpenNebula is a turnkey enterprise-ready solution that includes all the features needed to provide an on-premises (private) cloud offering, and to offer public cloud services.

OpenNebula Customers
Akamai, BBC, Fermilab, Terradue, Surf Sara, Produban, Netways, ESA, China Mobile, BlackBerry, Deloitte, Fuze, Telefonica, Trivago

OpenNebula Pricing Advice

What users are saying about OpenNebula pricing:
  • "The licensing for OpenNebula used to be free, but now it's no longer free. A customer contacted me asking to move to another provider because of the changes in the licensing terms for OpenNebula. I have no information on how much the OpenNebula license is because the customer pays for it, and I only do the integration."
  • "The solution is open source so is free."
  • "OpenNebuoa has recently come up with a new subscription model that is economical and a lot of new customers are choosing this as it is an easy subscription model."
  • OpenNebula Reviews

FelipePolanco - PeerSpot reviewer
    Cloud Engineer at a comms service provider with 1-10 employees
    It has a user-friendly UI and is easy to deploy and manage
    • "What's best about OpenNebula that people like is that it's easy to deploy. It's also easy to manage. It's interesting because people choose OpenNebula over other solutions because of the ease of management."
    • "An area for improvement in OpenNebula is the number of features it has. The solution doesn't have that many cloud features compared to other solutions. You'd say, "Okay, simplicity over a rich feature list?" Some say, "No, I need a big machine or a cloud interface for my customers to manage resources. I don't have to go and do it for them." Some people do it that way, and it works, but I'd like to improve the limited features in OpenNebula."

What is our primary use case?

I've deployed OpenNebula a few times, primarily for public cloud hosting providers who want to get into the cloud business.

How has it helped my organization?

An excellent example of how OpenNebula improves an organization is with one of my clients who had fifteen to twenty-five customers, and he had to manage all customer needs by himself. If a client called him and said, "I need more disk space on this server," my customer had to log in and increase the disk space for that client. Another client would say, "I want a new IP on my server." My customer would have to log in, go into the server, then adjust it for the client.

When my customer migrated to OpenNebula, he gave each client a login credential and a dashboard so each client could log in to a specific dashboard and manage that instead of asking my customer to manage that dashboard.

OpenNebula freed my customer from doing the maintenance operations of the servers because now that can be done by his clients. For example, his client could go in and create a new digital machine, assign more disk space, increase memory, etc.

What is most valuable?

The user-friendly UI of OpenNebula is also its most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

An area for improvement in OpenNebula is the number of features it has. The solution doesn't have that many cloud features compared to other solutions. You'd say, "Okay, simplicity over a rich feature list?" Some say, "No, I need a big machine or a cloud interface for my customers to manage resources. I don't have to go and do it for them." Some people do it that way, and it works, but I'd like to improve the limited features in OpenNebula.

Template management also needs improvement in OpenNebula because it's inferior right now. I speak from experience because I've worked with multiple private cloud solutions, and most of those solutions have template management and networking all figured out, making it easier for new users to start immediately.

With OpenNebula, you'd need a networking expert to have a full-fledged cloud. The OpenNebula team assumes that you know this. Still, most developers don't because they don't do networking, so you'll end up with a half-configured cloud or an OpenNebula that needs many inner workings to run. It would be great to have an OpenNebula assistant to guide users in configuring the servers. Otherwise, the solution may need to be rebuilt.

In the next release of OpenNebula, I'd like it to have an automatic network provisioning feature.

OpenNebula
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about OpenNebula. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    656,862 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been working with OpenNebula since 2016, but most of my experience with it started in 2017. I've worked with the solution within the last eighteen months when a client requested an OpenNebula installation.

OpenNebula is a stable solution.

OpenNebula is scalable, and you can manage multiple servers, have various hosts, and configure redundancy.

My rating for the OpenNebula technical support is eight out of ten because I raised a question, but it took a while for support to reply. One of my customers was waiting on an answer, but then nobody responded, so I had to open a new question, and eventually, someone from support reached out to answer my question.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

Deploying OpenNebula is extremely easy, and you can get an OpenNebula cloud in the morning.

The licensing for OpenNebula used to be free, but now it's no longer free. A customer contacted me asking to move to another provider because of the changes in the licensing terms for OpenNebula. I have no information on how much the OpenNebula license is because the customer pays for it, and I only do the integration.

I evaluated CloudStack, but I prefer OpenNebula because of its simplicity, and setting it up is quicker.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a system integrator for OpenNebula.

My customers use the PaaS version of OpenNebula and build a cloud using the solution. Customers build the hardware and then install OpenNebula. You can install instances of the host on Amazon or Google because OpenNebula integrates with other cloud providers. Still, in the four or five deployments I've done, I haven't seen any case of people bringing OpenNebula to a competitor. Instead, my customers build OpenNebula as a competitor to Amazon or Google.

Maintaining OpenNebula isn't difficult. Once you've set up the solution, it works. You don't need to spend a lot in terms of maintenance costs. Setting up OpenNebula could be challenging the first time because of all the networking and templates you need. Still, after you set up OpenNebula, nobody needs to touch it because it works fine.

I advise anyone who wants to start implementing OpenNebula to learn Linux and how the solution works first.

My rating for OpenNebula is eight out of ten.

AnkurGupta9 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Principal DevOps Engineer at Guavus
    • "I also like the ability to build custom functions. I can define a function where I have two types of views and configure the dependencies. The virtual data centers concept allows me to define users. If a user wants to join certain kinds of machines, the host and the other user won't see them. It gives me the flexibility to define multiple views and data centers in one place."
    • "It should have a simple REST API like most other tools. It's the industry standard format. An XML-RPC API gives you an XML document that you have to convert and then do something with that. REST API endpoint provides outputs in a JSON document. I would also like to see support for user data or heat templates, which OpenStack offers, but OpenNebula doesn't have this yet."

What is our primary use case?

We use OpenNebula to set up a virtual private cloud across several physical servers. It has an XML-RPC API that we automate via Python. You can connect it to VMware and run it over KVM. The latest version supports containers, but I haven't tried that. I mostly do KVM-based virtualization. I think the whole company is using it, so we have around 260 users.

What is most valuable?

The OpenNebula Marketplace provides you with several relatively large images. It's similar to the AWS console where you can download images from the Marketplace. You can choose an image and adapt it to your use case.

I also like the ability to build custom functions. I can define a function where I have two types of views and configure the dependencies. The virtual data centers concept allows me to define users. If a user wants to join certain kinds of machines, the host and the other user won't see them. It gives me the flexibility to define multiple views and data centers in one place.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see OpenNebula add more integration with REST API. XML-RPC API is good, but it becomes a pain to form a resting output. The pathway and prediction and all those things can be tricky.

It should have a simple REST API like most other tools. It's the industry standard format. An XML-RPC API gives you an XML document that you have to convert and then do something with that. REST API endpoint provides outputs in a JSON document. I would also like to see support for user data or heat templates, which OpenStack offers, but OpenNebula doesn't have this yet.

I've been using OpenNebula for about six or seven years.

I find it very stable. It's quite good. We are running around more than 200 servers inside OpenNebula. They perform very good and I'm very happy with the product.

OpenNebula can scale, but you must have a plan. You need to set up the front end correctly.

OpenNebula has a large, active user community, including a formula where you can ask questions. When you post a question, you typically get a response in 10- 12 hours, depending on your time zone.

You can almost always find the answer to your question by searching the forums. It has been around for a long time, so there are very few issues that have never come up before, but if you can't find the answer, someone will respond quickly to your post.

I have also used OpenStack, which is a much bigger beast than OpenNebula. OpenNebula gives you the ability to run simple VMs and containers, but it lacks many of the features available in OpenStack. It's great if you're only running VMs and providing developers with a way to automate them through the pipelines. In those cases, I would recommend OpenNebula because it is simple to do that.

You should go with OpenStack if your use case is complex or you want to use templates. OpenStack addresses a much wider variety of use cases, but it is complex. OpenNebula focuses on one use case, but it is simple to use.

I rate OpenNebula 10 out of 10 for ease of setup. Setting up OpenNebula is straightforward, and the documentation is great, whereas OpenStack is more complex. Anyone following the steps in the documentation can easily do it.

There isn't much maintenance aside from routine updates. You have to upgrade certain parts of the open architecture by migrating the VMs from one host to another host and upgrading the host. You also need to keep the host security patches up to date. It isn't often—about once every six months.

OpenNebula is open-source, but I believe they also have an enterprise version you can buy with support setting up and configuring the solution.

What other advice do I have?

I rate OpenNebula 7.5. I can't go about that because it lacks many of the features that a cloud management solution should provide. Nevertheless, it's a great product that's simple to use.  I'll definitely recommend OpenNebula because it's an open-source solution that's effortless to set up, and the total cost of ownership is low. The architecture is simple. If OpenNebula covers your use case, I'll definitely recommend it to them.

OpenNebula
    November 2022
    656,862 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    RahulSharma9 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Associate Staff Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Effectively handles infrastructure services and includes valuable configuration templates
    • "The solution provides templates for configurations that can easily be exchanged to VMs."
    • "Hosting platforms are limited so the deployment process needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

Our company recently completed a project for a customer where we used the solution for cloud management. Our team included four developers, one QA, and a technical manager.

The customer desired to move from a private to an open or hybrid cloud platform for their lease management system. The customer had dealership and manufacturer showrooms on different systems, controls, and software. We built their systems with different operating systems, CPUs, and memory and constructed a system to manage those resources.

We use the solution as a super user to provide administration for all users, systems, and upgrades. We can remotely provide users with credentials or install needed items into certain umbrellas.

The solution prepares and automates workflow because it allows for template and VM creation, assignment of users to certain VMs, and administrative privileges.

What is most valuable?

The solution provides templates for configurations that can easily be exchanged to VMs. For example, I can create four templates with different configurations or various input parameters and then exchange the proper template to a VM. In contrast, Azure and AWS require multiple steps to achieve the same thing.

The interface is quite simple and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

Hosting platforms are limited so the deployment process needs improvement. There are some kernels that limit hosting or cause issues with the CLI which only works on the server where it is installed. To solve this issue, we use a virtual box with user centers that run the solution for particular machines.

Upgrades sometimes have compatibility issues that require changes on our end and this should be improved. For example, a 6.4 or 7.0 release should be downward compatible with the 6.0 version.

The multiple stacks are built on the Python side but need a .NET extension.

The CLI is on Ruby on rails so can be complex.

An installation video that walks through all setup steps would be useful.

I have been using the solution for one year.

The solution is quite stable.

The solution is scalable. There are open source limitations but it is easy to create plug-ins and consume APIs.

The solution is open source so there is no support. Documentation is quite good and queries on the forum are answered within 24-48 hours. Those who respond have good knowledge of the solution and are capable of helping.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

The setup is not particularly straightforward but the solution's forum includes detailed documentation and user comments. Answers to questions about installation are included in the forum.

If there are any issues, you can always return to the forum for answers. No videos are available, so it is important to read through documentation and steps.

I rate setup an eight out of ten.

We implemented the solution in-house and for our customer.

The solution is open source so is free.

We looked at OpenStack which offers a lease extension feature that is unavailable with the solution. It also is more well known and used by developers which adds to its market culture.

For our use case, we found the solution to be the best fit when dealing with infrastructure services. It makes life easier from the infrastructure side.

The solution's templates make exchanging VMs much easier than the multi-step processes of Azure and AWS.

Compatibility with Terraform CLI and Sunstone UI are a benefit. It is easy to move back and forth between UI and CLI to write commands.

What other advice do I have?

I rate the solution an eight out of ten.

Other
    System Architect at National Technology LLC
    Great integration with SAP Storage, is easy to use, has a good UI, and is very scalable
    • "OpenNebula has very good integration with SAP Storage."
    • "The protocol for clusterization is rough and doesn't work well."

What is our primary use case?

My company provides system integration services for different clients based on OpenNebula. I'm a systems architect.

What is most valuable?

OpenNebula has very good integration with SAP Storage. This is its primary valuable feature. In addition, it's easy to use, has a good UI, and is very scalable. Compared to other open-source hypervisors like OpenStack, installation is very easy as is administering, managing, and configuring the solution. For someone who has never worked with hypervisor virtualization, OpenNebula is a good place to start.

What needs improvement?

The protocol for clusterization is rough and doesn't work well. We stopped using that feature because we had problems. It's not always easy to find answers on the forums if you're using the open source product.

We've been using this solution for over two years.

The solution has been very stable since we moved to pacemaker plus. If you put in some redundancy then you should add more servers so that if one goes down, it doesn't degrade the cluster.

We have six engineers in the company that work with OpenNebula, and we have a partner company with 10 users that receive more advanced technical support and they help us solve some problems with deployment and maintenance of OpenNebula that we provide to our clients. So it's like that, but we separate, so we have a group of engineers that works only with OpenNebula.

Because we're putting OpenNebula into a container, we get support from the people who implemented the product. They, in turn, receive support from OpenNebula. We provide technical support for clients on L1 and L2. We get support on L3 from our partner company which developed the deployment into a container environment. The support is very good, they're experts in OpenNebula.

If you're deploying the classic OpenNebula, then the initial setup is straightforward. I was able to deploy three nodes with one node for SQL and one management node and it took two to three hours the first time. The website instructions are very clear. Some initial maintenance was required because of errors in the SQL deployment, but since then we haven't needed any external assistance.

There isn't much difference between the open source product of OpenNebula and the enterprise one. The free version has full distribution potential. The price of the integration is not included in the price of the software so it's very cheap. If you compare it with VMware, there are different costs of integration because you pay a lot of money for different kinds of licenses. You only pay for privileged features like enterprise repository and technical support.

In comparison to OpenNebula, OpenStack is very complicated. In OpenStack you deploy nodes that have a lot of models and when you deploy for the first time, it's unclear where to start. Those issues don't exist with OpenNebula. OpenStack is preferable for enterprise companies that already have experienced engineers in virtualization who understand how to transform the cloud from VMware to OpenStack. OpenNebula is easier to integrate into infrastructure in smaller organizations.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest testing the solution, trying it on-prem and in the cloud. Be clear about your use case and why you're looking to change your virtual environment It's important to understand the risks. We plan to increase usage of OpenNebula.

I rate this solution eight out of 10.

Head - Operations & Sales at Computer Port IT Solutions
    Easy to install and use, can be used like a public cloud, and integrates with software-defined storage
    • "The ability to use it almost like a public cloud for an organization is a big asset, as it will create a value proposition and can control costs in a great way."
    • "Most of the competitors are offering some sort of billing software to transform their installation to work as a small-sized public cloud, but those offerings from OpenNebula are still missing."

What is our primary use case?

We have implemented it for internal purposes and more for learning.

Integrated with KVM and VMware Hypervisors and on meager resources, just to check whether it works or not. We started this approximately five years back and it worked flawlessly.

A YouTube video shows the details of our implementation.

This can be used as a private/hybrid cloud and there are many well-known organizations that are using OpenNebula. These include the European Space Agency (ESA), BBC, China Telecom, TransUnion, and Trivago.

OpenNebula can also be used for High-Performance Computing.

How has it helped my organization?

OpenNebula has given us tremendous knowledge about cloud computing and about Cloud Management platforms, commonly known as CMP.

Moreover, it will be advantageous for any organization, as this can be local to all of its users and obviously faster compared to a public cloud because there are no latency problems.

It is also possible to integrate a Software-Defined Storage solution like LINBIT with OpenNebula, which brings a lot of agility to the solution.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are ease of use and easy installation.

It has all the features that will be required by an Organization and supports various Hypervisors.

What needs improvement?

With a detailed billing module, this can be used as a complete public cloud implementation, and we are waiting to see that module from OpenNebula.

With the addition of this module, it will bring completeness to the overall offerings. We hope that OpenNebula listens to this and bring quickly the module.

We have been using OpenNebula for more than five years.

The stability is rock-solid.

This product is highly scalable.

We have not taken it, as we were able to do it on our own without any problems.

The initial setup is simple and straightforward.

We complete the deployment in-house.

Return on investment is extremely quick.

We evaluated CloudStack before choosing OpenNebula.

What other advice do I have?

vOneCloud is another interesting product from OpenNebula that can transform a normal VMware installation to mimic a full-blown public cloud. The best part is that this can be implemented on a VMware environment by just downloading an appliance.

Within 5-6 minutes, one can experience the power of VOneCloud.

This sort of product offerings from OpenNebula shows the ability of the Engineering Team of OpenNebula. Kudos to the OpenNebula team.

Download our free OpenNebula Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022