Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

MikroTik Routers and Switches OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

MikroTik Routers and Switches is #1 ranked solution in top Routers and #3 ranked solution in top Ethernet Switches. PeerSpot users give MikroTik Routers and Switches an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. MikroTik Routers and Switches is most commonly compared to Cisco Enterprise Routers: MikroTik Routers and Switches vs Cisco Enterprise Routers. MikroTik Routers and Switches is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 44% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 39% of all views.
MikroTik Routers and Switches Buyer's Guide

Download the MikroTik Routers and Switches Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is MikroTik Routers and Switches?

MikroTik Routers and Switches provide all the features necessary for network administrators to secure and monitor their networks and are suitable for companies of any size. The solution is ideal for creating Wi-Fi hotspots, connecting multiple servers, setting up firewalls and VPNs, and distributing bandwidth. MikroTik's user-friendly dashboard helps you interact easily with your hardware. With MikroTik's user interface, you can obtain real statistics by user or IP address and monitor bandwidth consumption.

Benefits and Key Features of MikroTik Routers and Switches

• Affordability: MikroTik routers and switches are very reasonably priced and offer features comparable to those of other higher priced solutions.

• Highly customizable: Flexible scripting policies and configuration options enable users to enhance the functionality of MikroTik's various products. MikroTik routers also offer hotspot profiles, which allows admins to create different customizable guest user authentication profiles.

• Consistency: All MikroTik routers have the same operating system and features, making it simple to migrate between different products.

• Routing protocols: MikroTik provides several dynamic routing protocols that can be deployed to build robust and secure networks.

• Built-in firewall: MikroTik offers a very powerful firewall implementation with multiple features, including state inspection, layer-7 protocol detection, and peer-to-peer protocols filtering.

• Stability and robust performance: MikroTik routers and switches are long-lasting, resilient, and perform well.

Reviews from Real Users

MikroTik stands out among competitors for a number of reasons. Two major ones are its reasonably priced products and its user-friendly user interface, which makes it easy to work and communicate with its hardware.

Parameshwar P., a director at Navyug Networks, writes, "I like MikroTik's GUI. It's completely handy and easy to handle because of its GUI. Despite other brands like Cisco urging me to switch, I didn't because they don't have a GUI. This is the most comfortable thing in my project that anyone can use easily. It’s effortless to maintain MikroTik routers because both screens make it very easy in GUI mode. You can easily interact with your hardware.”

Rodney T., the chief solutions architect at Tech2go Strategic IT Solutions, says, "They are very good at providing the bandwidth for multi-tenants and multi-dwelling units. We're managing Wi-Fi hotspots for hundreds of locations, and the speed and performance are quite there. They also have very cheap 10G products that come with really good and flexible software. They are way cheaper than the top brands, and they're able to deliver the same performance and capabilities."

A principal consultant at a tech services company notes, "The most valuable aspect of this solution is the combination of value for money. They're extremely cost effective, yet they provide you with an extensive feature set of things you can do across the board. Also, they're pretty reliable, as far as equipment goes."

MikroTik Routers and Switches Customers

ABB, Boingo Wireless, JPL, HP, Allied Telesis, iPass, Mips Technologies, MicroAge, Matsushita, Telia, undp, WFP, NASA

MikroTik Routers and Switches Video

MikroTik Routers and Switches Pricing Advice

What users are saying about MikroTik Routers and Switches pricing:
  • "There is a lifetime subscription already embedded when you buy the product."
  • "The pricing is very reasonable and is one of the main selling points for MikroTik devices."
  • "A license is not required."
  • MikroTik Routers and Switches Reviews

Chad Nel - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior System Administrator at YGtech
    Reseller
    Works well, is easy to set up, and has a great user community
    • "The routing is nice and straightforward."
    • "f they can improve the OpenVPN, to make that a bit more straightforward, that would be ideal."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily for routing and switching.

What is most valuable?

They work nice, and they're easy to set up, and everything.

The routing is nice and straightforward. I run all the MikroTiks and we connect to our office. Therefore, the routing is so easy and the firewall's easy to set up. The queues obviously throttle certain users if they're abusing it.

Everything just works easy and fine. To block websites is easy. It just works fine for me.

The stability is great.

The product makes scaling very simple.

In terms of the initial setup, it's very straightforward.

What needs improvement?

If they can improve the OpenVPN, to make that a bit more straightforward, that would be ideal. Obviously, it's got a built-in OpenVPN server that you can do. I've played around with it a bit, however, normally, if people want OpenVPN, they just use a virtual machine with Ubuntu, as it's just easier to set up.

When you block a website, so what I normally have to do is create a script with the domain name in it. And then it auto-updates the IP list. If they can maybe implement something where you can block websites using this domain name rather than the IP address, that'll be great. You can also obviously block it via the certificate, however, the problem is, a lot of the websites use a generic certificate from, Certbot or something like that. And then you block that, and it blocks a whole other list of websites. If they can do something like that, it will be great as well. I know it's not so easy as everything's encrypted, however, that'll be a great thing to improve.

If they can implement something for the hotspot, where you can actually filter out, that would be ideal. With the hotspot, you've got your counters. If they can implement something that if you use local data, it doesn't go towards your hotspot. I've got a client and they've set up the hotspot. They use it so they don't use the internet. If they copy something from the server, it goes towards their quota. Now, if you copy a big file from the server, and it uses your quota, then you have to obviously first call them and say, "Listen here, I've copied this thing. Please increase my quota, or reset it," or whatever. That's the only struggle that I found. Other than that, I can't really think of anything else.

I've been using the solution for the last three years.

MikroTik Routers and Switches
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about MikroTik Routers and Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's super stable. I've never had any issues. There were obviously a couple of years back, maybe a year or two back, where there was a vulnerability version 6.3 or 5.8 or something, where the people were able to just run a script, and then it would give them the MikroTik username and password. They could obviously just log in and deploy whatever viruses or grab whatever they needed. That's long since fixed. Other than that, I've never had any issues.

The solution is super-easy to scale.

I've never had to deal with technical support.

If I do need information or whatever, I'm on the Reddit forums everywhere. The community is super helpful. For that reason, I've never had to contact support.

I've got a client that had a Palo Alto, however, the licensing fees were too expensive for them. Eventually, we just got them over on a MikroTik.

Before I started using MikroTik, I was using open source firewalls such as pfSense and OPNsense, which also obviously worked 100%. The problem is it works out to be expensive due to the fact that if you're running that, you basically have to buy a whole computer. Whereas with the MikroTik, you buy the router and you've got everything, and that's it. I've never really looked at anything else other than that. For example, RB2011, you buy it for R3,000 or R4,000, and that's it. There are no licensing fees, there's nothing. That's what I like. I don't like products where there's obviously recurring cost. Obviously there are required antiviruses and stuff like that. However, that's not that expensive. The bigger firewalls, however, such as Palo Alto or FortiGate have all these licensing fees. The services are very nice, however, for my clients, it's not needed.

The initial setup is easy. That said, for our junior techs, it's not that easy. I normally have to come in, do the firewall, stuff like that. For me, as a seasoned tech, it's pretty straightforward.

I've got quite a lot of experience with firewalls. However, I'm more likely to look at the open-source stuff like pfSense, OPNsense, and MikroTik. That type of stuff. I try and get protection for my clients as cheap as possible, rather than letting them pay R200,000 a year licensing fee they obviously can't afford. That's why I normally just use the MikroTik.

What other advice do I have?

We normally just buy the solution from the vendors, and then obviously we're just a reseller of IT companies.

I only use the routers. I've never used the switches or the APs. Usually, the switches we use, they're Ubiquiti. Same for the APs. And then obviously for the firewall, router, we use the MikroTik.

With most of my clients, including home users and companies, everything MikroTik. Obviously, the home users will use the RG750. For businesses, they'll use 2011, the bigger switches that have a bit more beef.

In terms of which version we're using, they auto-update. We're always on the latest stable version.

I'd rate the solution an eight out of ten.

Information Technology Supervisor at JLR Construction and Aggregates Inc.
    Robust with lots of features and excellent pricing
    • "It has a lot of features. I haven't explored them all yet."
    • "The interface for management could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I've mostly been using the solution for mostly routing and user management.

What is most valuable?

We like that the solution is full-featured. I have access to all the functions that I need for routing without the cost involved of having those - compared to a Cisco device or other devices like HP. With those, you need to license some of the features just to access them. MikroTik has access to all the features of routing so you can customize or be flexible in your deployment.

The solution is stable and the performance is good.

It has a lot of features. I haven't explored them all yet.

What needs improvement?

There are some bugs in the newer modules. For example, when it comes to Routing, which is already a very old module, it is very stable. However, Hotspot is a fairly new module. They still need to work on things regarding that module. It's not as reliable.

The interface for management could be improved.

I've been using the solution for about ten years.

We're very satisfied with the performance. It is stable. I could say if you are using only mostly the core functionality of the device that was built in it - primarily routing, firewall, and then the basic ones, it's very stable. However, for the newer modules, they still have some bugs to fix.

We have 200 or more users on the product currently. They are in administrative and operations positions in all areas of the office.

The solution is very scalable. I would rate it a ten out of ten for scalability.

While technical support is available, I haven't tried it since the core functions are very stable. I haven't seen any major problems where I would need to call tech support.

I've also used Ubiquiti.

We did try TP-Link and Cisco previously. Those were the two types of routers that were in the office in production. The main reason we switched was due to the price, cost, and feature availability of the other options.

This product comes in at a very low price compared to buying a Cisco router. I also had a bad experience with Cisco routers.

The initial setup is more complex than Ubiquiti since it's more full-featured. It's up to you how you want to do things. You have to face a slight learning curve. You have to have a background in networking or routing.

Currently, if I have to do a deployment for a simple office, it would be less than a day to have everything up and running.

For our organization, when I started using it, it took maybe a month or two to get used to the features before I migrated fully to the device.

I'm the one who is responsible for the network and therefore I handle any maintenance as well.

I set it up myself. I didn't have any help from third-party consultants or integrators.

We have seen an ROI from MikroTik in that, for 12 years their equipment has been very robust. Even older versions I can still use now without any problems or stability issues.

You just pay for licensing and you don't have to worry about add-ons or anything else. You don't pay yearly, you simply pay for the equipment.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and an end-user.

I've mostly upgraded the product to the latest version. I have a few more left that are still on the older version.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

MikroTik is very good, however, you need to know the fundamentals to use it. You have to have a solid foundation on the capabilities or concepts used in MikroTik for it to become very effective for your organization.

MikroTik Routers and Switches
    September 2022
    635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Principal Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    They're cost effective and provide you with an extensive feature set
    • "The most valuable aspect of this solution is the combination of value for money. They're extremely cost effective, yet they provide you with an extensive feature set of things you can do across the board. Also, they're pretty reliable, as far as equipment goes."
    • "As far as improvements, there are basically only two things I would suggest. First, I think they should provide extensive training for the new releases of products, especially in the LTE space. Second, they could spend more time ensuring that their OS releases are more stable, rather than waiting for things to fall apart on the customer's premises before they make the necessary changes."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use MikroTik routers and switches for LTE solutions. It's 3G, 4G, and gravitating to 5G solutions and we do a lot of data center type of solutions with the heavy-duty cloud core routers. We also do premises type of solutions with a lot of their switches.

As far as which version we're using, the products are fairly standardized—what changes is the version of the operating system. We try and use the latest long-term versions of the operating system, but we use a wide variety of their products.

This solution is deployed on-prem. We use the whole rack of MikroTik switches and routers.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

As far as improvements, there are basically only two things I would suggest. First, I think they should provide extensive training for the new releases of products, especially in the LTE space. Second, they could spend more time ensuring that their OS releases are more stable, rather than waiting for things to fall apart on the customer's premises before they make the necessary changes.

We've been using MikroTik switches and routers since 2014, so it's going to be the eighth year now.

I have been using these routers and switches for eight years and they have proved rather stable.

I think the solutions scale to multiple millions of packets per second products and that they scale right into the data center core. I know that there's still significant apprehension from a lot of large companies concerning their products, but I think that MikroTik has proved to be an extremely good tool for what we are trying to do.

It runs our infrastructure and we provide services to clients, so we have several hundred nodes out in the field who are managed services providers. There are quite a few people that take advantage of the infrastructure that we provide.

I haven't actually contacted technical support directly. We have a very knowledgeable partner that provides us Tier 4 consultancy in the UK. We've been working with him for many years, and so that's where we get all our technical support from.

We gave up on Cisco and Cisco's competitor seven years ago, and we've been using MikroTik ever since.

The installation process is extremely simple. I did it all by myself, but I'm a telecoms engineer, so I have a skill set in that area.

We have a small technical team of five engineers. It's not a heavyweight job.

We implemented this solution through an in-house team.

There is a lifetime subscription already embedded when you buy the product.

What other advice do I have?

I rate MikroTik routers and switches a nine out of ten, and I would recommend them to others.

Udochi Ododo - PeerSpot reviewer
    Manager, Technical Planning and Solutions Design at Galaxy Backbone Ltd
    Reasonably priced and the bandwidth management capabilities are good
    • "The most valuable feature is its bandwidth management ability."
    • "They should improve technical support and make direct access available to the customers."

What is our primary use case?

I am a solution provider and I deploy this product for my customers. Primarily, it is used for last-mile access. When I deploy it in an enterprise environment, It is normally for bandwidth control.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is its bandwidth management ability.

What needs improvement?

The routers that this vendor makes are quite small and I think that they should make their products such that they conform to what the industry is used to. Not that it matters from a technical perspective, but often, customers see the size of the router and they think that it is used for a small environment because of its size. They look at the router and because it doesn't look like the Huawei or Cisco models, they think that it is underpowered because of the size. If they changed the external look and feel of the products to match what the enterprise environment is used to, then it would be good. Again, in no way does it affect the performance. Rather, it's just the perception.

I have been working with MikroTik Routers and Switches for approximately 15 years.

On a scale of one to five, I would rate stability a four.

This is a scalable solution. Although, if you deviate too much from your original device then you will need to change it. If, for example, the scope changes significantly from the initial setup, then you might have to change your device.

Essentially, if the change in scale is too large then you might need to also scale your device accordingly.

Technical support is not very good, as it is usually done through third-parties. You don't have direct access to MikroTik themselves. Most of the support we get is through forums.

I also work with similar products from Juniper, Cisco, and Huawei.

The initial setup is complex and you need to have a deep understanding in order to deploy it. The time it takes to deploy will depend on what you're configuring, in terms of what technologies. Typically, if it's just for connectivity, in usually 20 to 30 minutes you should be able to get MikroTik up and running. But, if it's compliance and other things then it may take a while longer.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing MikroTik Routers is to make sure that they have the requisite toolsets onboard to manage the devices so that they don't run into problems. Otherwise, it is a good and inexpensive product to use.

Engineer in Computer Sciences at a government with 201-500 employees
    Stable with good routing features and a large amount of online documentation
    • "The pricing is very reasonable. It's not too expensive."
    • "The initial setup can be a bit difficult. The configuration can take a lot of time."

What is most valuable?

The routing features are the solution's most valuable aspects.

What needs improvement?

Next year, we are planning to buy a hardware firewall from Sophos. The firewall and the VPN features in MikroTik are a little bit hard to set and are not user-friendly in terms of configuring those features.

The protection of the web servers, VPN, and spam mail management, will be better in the Sophos model which we want to buy. We'll still use MikroTik for routing between our objects, however, for the main firewall features and VPN features, we want to use something more specific for this job.

There's a new VPN protocol called WireGuard. It's very good to implement MikroTik in the router as firmware. It is more configurable, with WireGuard. It's very practical.

We've been using the solution maybe for five or six years at this point.

The solution is extremely stable. We don't have issues with crashing. There aren't bugs or glitches. It's good.

The solution is very scalable. If a company needs to expand it, they can do so easily.

Ultimately, the whole company is using it as it s is the main router for distributing internet services.

We don't use technical support. If we need to troubleshoot, we tend to get our answers from the internet. We have access to forums and we have a lot of local technical support and knowledge. It's not official technical support. It's from the providers.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup can be a bit difficult. The configuration can take a lot of time. We only have one person in our company that can do this. It's somewhat impractical. If he's not at work, we can run into issues.

The pricing is very reasonable. It's not too expensive.

We're currently looking to replace some aspects of MikroTik with Sophos and will use Sophos next year as the main firewall.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

Originally, we had little MikroTik routers installed at first. Afterward, we bought a cloud core router and we've had that at this point for six or seven years.

We use the solution both at our company and for our clients.

I'd advise new users to take some time and learn about the configurations. They need to be prepared for a bit of a learning curve when it comes to implementation. However, after that, it's not a problem to use it.

Overall, I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Charbel Hajj - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Supervisor at MEPEQ
    Feature-rich, easy to use, compact, and has an easy to use interface
    • "They use wireless and wired connections that include all of the features."
    • "I would like to have the option of having multiple logins."

What is our primary use case?

We use MikroTik Routers and Switches as access points rather than all-purpose routers. We are not working with all of the functions as it is also connected with the Catalyst Switch.

What is most valuable?

MikroTik Routers and Switches are very good switches.

They are very compact.

They use wireless and wired connections that include all of the features.

It's a small firewall that can be managed in that way.

The interface is good. It is easy to deal with.

There are a lot of features included.

What needs improvement?

The only issue is with the software. The Winbox has many log-ins to it.

The only thing I would improve would be with the software Winbox. It would be helpful to have more than one login capability.

With the ability that we now have, when you want to change to another user account, using the Winbox and go through the user name and password for one device, the current user name and password for Winbox will be lost. Even if I try to copy the Winbox to a different location, it uses the same user name and password, and if I change it on the copy, it will also be changed on the other destination.

I would like to have the option of having multiple logins.

You should always do something to be better.

We have been working with MikroTik Routers and Switches for a few years.

MikroTik Routers and Switches are very stable. The area that the Wi-Fi inside of it can cover is very large.

The connection inside is stable. It does not require a constant restart, because it's hanging, or when resetting occurs with a system.

Usually, it has a very stable and wide range of Wi-Fi coverage.

MikroTik Routers and Switches are scalable.

It's mostly connected as a Wi-Fi network with approximately 20 to 25 users.

As of now, we have no plans to increase our usage.

Technical support is good.

Previously, we have used ITP-Link and Linksys Switches.

The initial setup can be simple, but it all depends on the features you intend to use.

It's simple if you are using it as a regular access point. If not, you'll need a little more information to go over all of the features in detail.

I am currently only using it as an access point. It takes two to three minutes to arrange it, which isn't much.

A license is not required.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I would rate MikroTik Routers and Switches a nine out of ten.

B2B Product Management at a comms service provider with 201-500 employees
    Scalable with good pricing and excellent reliability
    • "The solution is stable."
    • "Better security is always better. If they can continue to improve in this area, that would be ideal."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the internet.

What is most valuable?

We are a mid-sized provider and we are acquiring smaller providers. MikroTik is a brand that is used across these ISPs and we have the experience with the product within our company. There's a familiarity with the solution we appreciate. The reason that we decided to keep this brand is that it's reliable. It offers good IT Station reports.

The solution is stable.

The product has proven to be scalable.

The pricing is good. There's a good ratio of pricing to performance, which is why we use that product.

What needs improvement?

We've been using the solution for a couple of years at this point.

The solution has proven to be very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. The performance is consistently very good.

The scalability has been excellent. If a company needs to expand it out, it's not a problem. They can do so.

A lot of our work is B2B with mid-sized clients that might have dozens of users.

I've never directly dealt with technical support. I cannot speak to how helpful or responsive they are. I don't have the direct experience to be able to comment.

We also have experience using Cisco (for more demanding installations) and Huawei. Our company tends to use Huawei in B2C situations.

It's my understanding that the installation process is quite straightforward. It's not too complex or difficult.

We have administrators and technicians that can handle deployments. We are doing remote installations. We have one technician usually on-premise. They physically connect the device and another technician remotely configures the device. We have some configuration templates. It's quite easy and quick for our team to deploy everything.

We can handle the deployment for customers.

The pricing is very reasonable. It's not too expensive.

I don't handle licensing costs. I'm not sure how payments are set up and whether a company would have to pay monthly or yearly.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not an IT guy. I'm a business product manager. I'm more of a product or marketing guy. Therefore, I'm not overly technical.

We're service providers for a variety of organizations.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We're pretty happy with the product.

I would recommend the solution to other organizations.

ICT Manager/Systems Administrator at a university with 201-500 employees
    Great performance, competitive pricing, and very stable
    • "We've enjoyed the fact that it has very good performance."
    • "The solution needs to offer better documentation."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the product for load balancing and as a gateway.

What is most valuable?

The stability of the solution is excellent.

We've enjoyed the fact that it has very good performance.

The scalability potential is very good.

The solution is very easy to install and the implementation doesn't take too long.

The pricing is very competitive.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to offer better documentation. That is what is lacking right now.

The user interface could be a bit better. It could be a bit more user-friendly with a bit of a re-design.

I've used this solution for a couple of years at this point.

The solution is very stable and we've found the performance to be excellent. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't seem to crash or freeze. The reliability is excellent overall.

The scalability capabilities have been very good. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so with relative ease.

We have about 1,300 users on the solution right now.

I've never been in touch with technical support just yet. I've never had a reason to reach out. Therefore, I cannot comment on how helpful or responsive they might be.

I've also used Cisco, Aruba, and HPE, for example.

The initial setup is not difficult or complex. It's straightforward and very easy to implement. The deployment process is very fast as well. It only really takes a couple of minutes and you are ready to go.

We are a team of four, and we can handle any deployment or maintenance tasks quite easily.

I handled the implementation myself, in-house. I did not need the assistance of an integrator or consultant when I deployed it.

The pricing is excellent. It's very reasonable and much less than, for example, Cisco.

Typically, on the initial package, you do need a license.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution, on a scale from one to ten, at a seven. For the most part, we've been pleased with its capabilities.

I'd recommend the solution, especially from a pricing point of view. If Cisco is out of a company's budget, it's definitely an option.

Download our free MikroTik Routers and Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022