IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Marketo OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Marketo is #3 ranked solution in top Marketing Automation tools and #5 ranked solution in top Marketing Management tools. PeerSpot users give Marketo an average rating of 8 out of 10. Marketo is most commonly compared to Salesforce Marketing Cloud: Marketo vs Salesforce Marketing Cloud. Marketo is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 66% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 32% of all views.

Download the Marketing Automation Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Marketo?

Marketo is an all-in-one marketing solution that was created by marketers for marketers. Founded in 2007, Marketo is branded as marketing software that is easy, powerful and complete.

Organizations have access to multiple marketing and sales tools when they use this solution, such as Marketing Automation, Consumer Engagement Marketing, Real-Time Personalization, and Marketing Management.

Marketo Customers

Marketo has a customer base of thousands of companies, including Sony, Citrix, BrightTALK, Curves International, HootSuite, Hyundai, SanDisk, and Samsung Electronics.

Marketo Video

Archived Marketo Reviews (more than two years old)

Smart Campaigns and other features form the backbone of our digital marketing operations

What is our primary use case?

With Marketo as the core strength, I have led numerous Marketing Automation projects from end to end. I have analyzed business requirements for MAP implementation, configured database setup, worked on SSL implementation, handled system integration, coded Email and Landing Page Templates, configured analytics setup, and led more than five hundred campaign projects.

How has it helped my organization?

Marketo is the backbone for our company's Digital Marketing operations.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is Smart Campaigns. It is very easy to use and very powerful too.

What needs improvement?

Marketo should give more power to the users for data manipulation. Marketo sees data in terms of Leads and Campaigns, which is fine, but there are other perspectives of data too that can and should actually be utilized. I compare this to Adobe Campaign which allows the manipulation of data from different angles.
Marketing Automation
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Adobe, Salesforce, SAP and others in Marketing Automation. Updated: June 2022.
609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.

My organization uses Marketo since around 2013 - 2019, 6 years in total. I myself contributed since 2016, so that's around 3.5 years.

Very stable and solid.

Very scalable and easy to use.

They are very helpful and supportive, but at times I found some communication troubles.
Marketing Campaign Manager with 51-200 employees
The ability to build and automate complex scenarios is valuable.

What is most valuable?

Marketo makes it easy to stay in contact with our base of customers, prospective customers, and partners. The ability to quickly build and automate complex scenarios, create dynamic lists, and analyze campaign results is invaluable.

What needs improvement?

With the increasing sophistication of anti-phishing and filtering software, we have seen a number of messages that return link clicks – even though links were not actually clicked.  A simple indicator of this, is when Marketo analytics show that every individual at a particular company has clicked on a link (usually the same one) in an email.  These “phantom clicks” can make it difficult to estimate the effectiveness of a particular email or piece of content.

This issue has been discussed extensively in the Marketo community, and the larger ESP community as well.  While there are several temporary works arounds, I would like to see a more proactive attempt at a long-term solution.  I do recognize that this problem is not limited to Marketo, and it certainly has not been a deal-breaker for our continued use of the platform.

Three years

I joined the organization after deployment, but am told it was a relatively smooth process. As with any automation solution, the real hurdle isn't in the deployment, it's in optimizing processes to take advantage of the product's unique capabilities.

Marketo is a solid automation platform with fantastic stability.

The scalability of the solution is virtually unmatched. We've expanded our operations (and database) greatly over the past few years without a hitch.

Customer service is prompt, friendly, and generally helpful.

Pricing depends on the size of your database and feature set.  Our experience with the renewal process has been frustrating.  Marketo bakes a substantial price increase into each contract which has required renegotiation every year.

Marketing Automation
June 2022
609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Growth Strategies and Demand Generation Consultant at a marketing services firm with self employed
I like the integration with Salesforce. I would like to see attribution reporting.

What is most valuable?

I like the integration with Salesforce.

How has it helped my organization?

We have a better alignment of sales and marketing. It allows me to do things in Salesforce without an admin.

What needs improvement?

• Speed to sync if you have lots of leads
  • Attribution reporting

We have been using this solution for six years.

In terms of stability, it takes longer to sync with Salesforce than it should at times.

In terms of scalability, the more leads you have, the longer it takes to sync with Salesforce.

I would give technical support a rating of 5/10.

I have used Act-On, HubSpot, and Infusionsoft. Many clients switch due to cost.

To make the initial setup better, brush up on best practices and come up with a naming convention that starts with the year, month, and date in order to keep things consistent.

We evaluated Pardot, HubSpot, and Act-On.

What other advice do I have?

Map out your processes and customer journey before you start building.

Marketing at Kenes Group

What is most valuable?

• Can segment the database in a number of ways. We can target leads based on where they came from, what they did in the emails, and what they did on the website.
  • Automation ability: Allows us to build marketing flows that send automated emails based on user actions.
  • Lead scoring: Helps us find the most relevant leads based on source and behavior.

How has it helped my organization?

We have a large database that targets many different types of users for many different types of events. Marketo helps us easily segment and target the appropriate users for the relevant events. Automation also helps us to instantly send relevant offers to registered participants.

What needs improvement?

• Marketo is still very slow. Despite promises over the years to improve this, we are still waiting for a reality when it takes a few seconds to load large lists of data.
  • The landing page building is still a very non-intuitive and a non-user friendly process. Marketo would be wise to adopt an easier approach, similar to what unbounce offers.
  • More proactive support from account managers would be nice, especially in problem-solving.

We have been using this solution for three years.

There were no issues with deployment.

There were no issues with stability.

There were no issues with scalability.

I would give customer service a rating of three out of 10.

I would give technical support a rating eight out of 10.

I was not involved in the initial setup.

We have found it very challenging to measure our ROI through Marketo.

Marketing Campaign Manager at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
Enables the use of templated landing pages and emails to make it easy to create messages and landing pages. The available analytics are sub-par.

How has it helped my organization?

Great ease of use creation for campaigns. Marketo enables the use of templated landing pages and emails to make it easy to create messages and landing pages.

What needs improvement?

The available analytics are sub-par.

This is where Marketo falls short. Their customer service is awful.

OK>

Yes. Switched with a new company.

Straightforward.

In-house and vendor.

Head of Marketing at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
I like the email drip campaigns. It could be easier to set up and manage.

What is most valuable?

Email drip campaigns

How has it helped my organization?

Automated customer outreach from sign up to upgrade

What needs improvement?

Easier to create/modify graphic driven templates

Need automatic 404 reporting for links included in content

5 years

Takes time to setup and manage

None

None

8 out of 10

8 out of 10

Manual solution with Constant Contact - easier to manage multiple campaigns in Marketo

Architecture for the brand and organizing landing page domains/URLs took time

In-house

Saves .5 man/year

Varies

Hubspot

Pardot

What other advice do I have?

Hire a Marketo certified consultant prior to install and launch.

Marketing at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Extensive integration w/ 3rd party tools makes Marketo really stand out.

Valuable Features:

Marketo has a great UI that's both easy to use and navigate.Set-up took a while but Marketo support offers extensive training for new users, both on-demand videos and a 4-day live training session online.I adopted Marketo after using Pardot for lead management and email automation and was very pleased with how easy it was to integrate 3rd party tools. The extensive integration with GoToWebinar and SFDC saved me tons of time following online events.Additionally, the Marketo Community offers extensive information as well as the ability to suggest and vote for new features. If I couldn't find my answer in the Community, the support team was always very helpful.

Room for Improvement:

The design studio offers limited out-of-the-box features and we had to work with a developer to create new landing pages etc.Changing a campaign in progress (i.e. changing the wait period between emails) is unnecessarily complicated. We would have to create a new, nearly identical campaign, pull all leads out the initial campaign and move them to the new one just to change a wait step!The support team in Ireland is very helpful and always goes above and beyond. I wish I could say the same of the US based support team - when I spoke with them, it felt like the rep was reading a script and not listening to my question at all.

Other Advice:

Overall - I am very pleased with Marketo for email automation and lead management. I recommend it as a tool but don't disregard the initial training they offer to new users. Not all features are intuitive and training sessions point you in the right direction.
it_user4029 - PeerSpot reviewer
Marketing at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
Advanced capabilities for closed-loop lead management, but needs a better UI and integration with marketing resource management

Valuable Features:

- Relative ease of use - Advanced capabilities for closed-loop lead management - SFDC sync

Room for Improvement:

- Can be more than what you really need - Wish it had a better user interface - Needs integration with marketing resource management
it_user585 - PeerSpot reviewer
Director of Operations at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
The metrics and reports are what marketing people want

Valuable Features:

amazing interface, simple to integrate with SFDC, Love the metrics and analytics- that part completely blows away the other vendors including eloqua. They understand how marketing needs to deliver business data.

Room for Improvement:

They should share best practice implementation- because there's so much variation in how you can set it up- you can do it wrong. So setting it up right the first time would be ideal. This solution also doesn't scale for the large enterprise- a huge downside for them.

Other Advice:

This is the best marketing automation solution out there, for the ease of use, the amazing metrics, the integration to SFDC, and the price.
it_user600 - PeerSpot reviewer
CSO at a tech company with 51-200 employees
Marketing Automation that lives in Sales force

Valuable Features:

Marketo gives me the toolset necessary to create automated drip email campaigns to my customers and prospects. HUGE ROI! Great customer service and still (relatively) nimble dev team always willing to help, even in special, or "one-off" scenarios.

Room for Improvement:

UI is a little dated. Pricing. It is NOT cheap, given the functionality of the product. Feels like I could be paying less. Still the results I get from it more than justify the price. Could also do with some better WYSWIG editors for landing page configuration. I also wish that they provided more testing capability and other metrics, like open time, in addition to the metrics they are currently providing. If you're in B2B sales, and are using Salesforce, you NEED Marketo! They provide a comprehensive toolset, that when configured properly, widens the sales funnel in its entirety. You can cut back on SDRs and improve the productivity of each one, which is perhaps another reason of why they charge what they charge. I would highly recommend that if you are considering a Marketo deployment (or similar), you go through the steps necessary to make sure the system is well implemented. Spend time planning out your workflow prior to the implementation. Lead scoring, in conjunction with marketing automation, make for POWERFUL TOOLS. Marketo is no exception, but we made the mistake of doing a partial implementation in the first go round, and it was not until I saw another company's deployment that I realized how much we were leaving on the table.

Other Advice:

Use case that would be extremely relevant for a Marketo Deployment: Interested parties submit information requests. They are stored into Marketo, based on what actions they take (how long they spent on the site, looked at these white papers, etc). They will then get follow-on emails to help qualify the opportunity. Once they respond, and certain criteria is met, the system will pass the lead off to a Sales rep, significantly cutting down on higher touch "pre-qualified" communication.
Download our free Marketing Automation Report and find out what your peers are saying about Adobe, Salesforce, SAP, and more!
Updated: June 2022