Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

ManageEngine OpManager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

ManageEngine OpManager is #17 ranked solution in best Network Monitoring Tools. PeerSpot users give ManageEngine OpManager an average rating of 7.6 out of 10. ManageEngine OpManager is most commonly compared to SolarWinds NPM: ManageEngine OpManager vs SolarWinds NPM. ManageEngine OpManager is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 54% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 19% of all views.
ManageEngine OpManager Buyer's Guide

Download the ManageEngine OpManager Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is ManageEngine OpManager?

ManageEngine OpManager is a network, server, and virtualization monitoring software that helps SMEs, large enterprises and service providers manage their data centers and IT infrastructure efficiently and cost effectively. Automated workflows, intelligent alerting engines, configurable discovery rules, and extendable templates enable IT teams to setup a 24x7 monitoring system within hours of installation.

ManageEngine OpManager was previously known as OpManager.

ManageEngine OpManager Customers

Bonita, Thorp Reed & Armstrong, Galaxy, Fiserv Credit Union Division, Universitas 21 Global, ERP Suites LLC

ManageEngine OpManager Video

Archived ManageEngine OpManager Reviews (more than two years old)

Istyak Ahmad - PeerSpot reviewer
Security specialist at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
This product discovers unusual behaviors and alerts the IT so problems are avoided
  • "This is a good general monitoring system that has all the features we require and they constantly update with new capabilities."
  • "This product is little bit slow sometimes. It may be that we need to change the configuration to improve performance."

What is our primary use case?

OpManager monitors the uptime and the performance of the network, servers, and applications. Additionally, it monitors the condition of the RAM, the CPU, and memory. It also monitors any inbound applications. We get notifications of any downloads or devices making unauthorized requests. It runs the processes on both sides. If it finds something we get an alert. It will tell us what the problem is and give us directions as to how to fix it.

What is most valuable?

Overall the environment is good. You can deploy it in an area of your network to evaluate risk. It can assess any unusual changes in what is going on. It is difficult to prevent IT intrusions. So if you use OpManager, it will make discoveries of unusual behaviors and give you reports. With that information, you can configure the IT to avoid those behaviors and you can avoid the potential issues.

What needs improvement?

The only thing I can think of that might be improved is that it is just a heavy software. When we start it up with the archiving software, we sometimes experience some lag. The access on the console is a little bit slow. It might be that we need to improve our configuration to be sure it is correct. If we improve the way we work with it and make it a lighter load on the software, that may be a solution. Performance needs to be our crowning star. This product is little bit slow sometimes.

If we improve the RAM, then maybe the performance will improve. It could be something that simple.

We have been using OpManager for between seven and eight years.

ManageEngine OpManager
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about ManageEngine OpManager. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is stable. That is part of the reason why we are using it for a long time. That is a definite fact.

This product is used by the IT personnel. So it is the IT manager's domain, I suppose. Other users are not using this. Expanding the user base is not really necessary or likely.

It may have some limitations in monitoring the network if it is extremely large. We have not experienced this. If there are performance issues the equipment may need an upgrade. This is a load issue and it is not the fault of the application.

The support for the product is very good. They provided us the link for the product, we started the Windows server, they started the EFT (Electronic File Transfer). When we had downloaded the software, it started itself.

If any support is required, then they give us the support we need. They respond as declared within our agreement within a four-hour window. I can depend on the response time of the support team.

The maintenance is not required because hardware maintenance is not what we take care of. If the software reports that anything goes wrong and we not at all to understand the result, then we need to investigate and then fix that. This is our responsibility.

So my general opinion is that the support is very good.

In the initial setup, it is very easy to deploy. It supports SMB (Server Message Block) and WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) protocol. So with SMB and WMI, it can support multiple platforms like Linux and Windows and Cisco devices.

Considering the pricing, OpManager is actually one of the cheaper solutions in this category. When a new subscription is required for something additional like support and we add the required license, they charge a very little. So the initial cost is low and the add-ons are reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

In general, this product meets all our requirements, whatever our requirements are. I expect the product to perform as promised and use all the features that I need. It monitors the services, uptime, downtime, and that general requirement is met.

I think I have no real implementation requirements. They are also constantly improving by resolving some bugs and they also add some additional features. For example, now if we want to monitor file integrity and IT management, we can do that.

They also provide all services through the same console. If you want to, you can get other functionality through OpManager add-ons. If you want a service, you just buy the subscription and use the add-ons and monitor the multiple services in a single console.

There is firewall monitoring, network monitoring, application monitoring, and network configuration is also provided. For some things, an additional license is required.

If you had seen the previous versions, it is obvious that they have improved. So as of now, we do not need to ask for any requirements to be fulfilled. The IT person really only needs the alerts and designation as medium, critical, or high priority. This tool does that and it is a good monitoring solution.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would have to rate it a nine. They get a good rating because of the support and the features. Whatever they communicate, they provide.

Network Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
The fact that we can schedule reports enables us to have fewer spreadsheets to create
  • "You can put all of your work on there, they'll send you an email or send you a text. That functionality as a network engineer is the one I like the most. I do like the fact that we can schedule reports. That works too because that's a lot fewer spreadsheets that I have to create."
  • "OpManager is slow but that just might be the server we have it on. I don't think that's the problem but I don't do the server. But it is slow. When you're interacting with it, it could be more nimble and could be faster."

What is our primary use case?

My personal use case is for network management, traffic flow, am any kind of alerts. Anything you can think of, you can program through OpManager or anything on the network you can think of, you can program through OpManager. We run monthly and weekly reports and all of those are programmed and then in a week or a month, it's in your inbox. Your CIF log scan goes through it all.

What is most valuable?

You can put all of your work on there and they'll send you an email or send you a text. That functionality as a network engineer is the one I like the most. I do like the fact that we can schedule reports. That works too because that's a lot fewer spreadsheets that I have to create.

What needs improvement?

OpManager is slow but that just might be the server we have it on. I don't think that's the problem but I don't do the server. But it is slow. When you're interacting with it, it could be more nimble and could be faster.

The UI is fine, it's just a little sluggish. But once it's up and running, it's good.

I have been using OpManager for four years.

We don't have problems with stability.

It might be slow but it's stable. No problem there either. That's not something that should stop anybody from buying it. My preference would be to speed it up, but there's probably a reason why it's not as fast as I would like it.

I've only had to deal with support once or twice and I've never had a problem. My colleague handles it a little bit more than I do, and I've never heard him gripe about it.

I didn't set them up but from what I know about it, it's straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good solution. I wasn't part of the decision or part of the team at the time that they chose it but it definitely does what we need it for. It has more functionality than what we use it for, so I think it's overall a good solution. The only gripe I have is like everybody else, I would want it to be faster. That's the only issue I have.

I would rate OpManager a nine out of ten.

ManageEngine OpManager
September 2022
633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Sachin Nagpal - PeerSpot reviewer
Project Manager at NIIT Limited
Refined alerts to help monitor devices effectively but it is sometimes difficult to manage the user interface
  • "The alerting feature has improved our organization. We can create multiple alerts and refine them to how we need to use them."
  • "It is sometimes difficult to manage the user interface. It can get very complicated."

What is our primary use case?

Right now, we are using ManageEngine OpManager for network monitoring. We also use it for server and application monitoring. We monitor parameters of servers like CPU, RAM, and hard disk.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

We have found that the alerting in OpManaager is the most valuable. It alerts on CPU or if the server goes down.

What needs improvement?

It is sometimes difficult to manage the user interface. It can get very complicated. They could make it easier to use. There should also be some better backup and recovery tools for the devices that you monitor.

We have been using ManageEngine OpManager for three years.

The stability of OpManager is very nice and good in network monitoring, and it provides all the particular functionality that we need.

The scalability of OpManager is very good.

We have not needed the technical support but we know it is there if we need it.

The initial setup was very simple. The deployment takes two to three days.

The initial setup was done in-house by our team. We started with a few people who added devices and then eventually we had other admins add there devices.

What other advice do I have?

Choose the modules that you would need in your organization because they have other modules like Application Manager that we are not using currently.

CIO at a venture capital & private equity firm with 11-50 employees
A straightforward setup that's easy to manage and quick to deploy
  • "The solution is easy to deploy. It's also easy to manage and monitor the environment. Instead of being reactive, it's proactive."
  • "The solution is a bit difficult to configure. There are quite a number of configurations and plugins that you must handle early in the process."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for monitoring, managing our active directory and to deploy patch management.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The support offered after deployment needs improvement.

The solution is a bit difficult to configure. There are quite a number of configurations and plugins that you must handle early in the process.

The solution should offer richer reporting and more dashboards.

I've been using the solution for three years.

Technical support isn't the best. We're in South Africa, and most of the support team is in the US or the UK.

We also use SolarWinds. We use many similar products, not just ManageEngine.

The initial setup is straightforward. Deployment takes less than two days. For maintenance, you need to have a proactive type of arrangement.

I handled the deployment myself.

You just have to pay for licensing; there aren't any costs over and above that.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model. We have about four people using the solution.

I'd recommend the solution. I'd rate it nine out of ten.

Fredrick-Massawe - PeerSpot reviewer
System Administrator at Bakhresa Group of companies
Good application monitoring, easy to set up and very good scalability
  • "The application monitoring is the solution's most valuable feature."
  • "The licensing model is confusing."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to monitor our servers.

What is most valuable?

The application monitoring is the solution's most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

The licensing model is confusing.

For example, when we add a storage device on the OpManager, we don't know how it is calculating those which are added into the server. It's unclear how is it calculating the licensing model for the storage portion.

I've been using the solution for 1.5 years.

The solution is fairly stable. Only when you are opening another tab to see the live monitoring will you experience a bit of hanging. It will respond, so I am assuming the lag is because of the resources which are allocated for that particular server.

The solution is scalable. You just need the correct licensing. You can get a license for features such as Hyper-V, VMware, etc. We've been satisfied with the level of scalability we've achieved.

I have not found any difficulty in using the app, so I don't know how the technical quality is on their support. We haven't opened a ticket with technical support yet, but we're unsure of the process and if we have to open a ticket at the support level or not. They could make their services and processes more clear for getting assistance when customers need it.

Our company has tried a variety of solutions but not in any significant manner.

The initial setup is straightforward. Deployment takes about half an hour. I had to do a lot of research, but once I realized how everything worked, it was very quick. You only need one person to handle deployment.

I handled the implementation myself.

Before choosing the solution, I did look at other solutions. Some had complicated setups or licensing models. This solution is very easy because the pricing was not that high and the set up wasn't complicated. It was very good for our environment.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I'd recommend the solution. I'd rate it eight out of ten.

System Administrator at Computer Network Systems
Good integration capabilities and network device monitoring, but it is costly
  • "The solution offers very good integration capabilities."
  • "The pricing of the solution is high. They should work to adjust the pricing model to see if they can help reduce costs."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for monitoring connectivity and server resource utilization among other things.

What is most valuable?

The solution's network device monitoring is the most valuable feature.

The solution offers very good integration capabilities.

What needs improvement?

They could add more support on devices and maybe make more versions of devices in order to offer better monitoring.

I've been using the solution for more than five years.

The solution is stable.

Technical support is very good.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's easy to manage.

The solution is costly. SolarWinds, a competitor, is even more expensive than this, however. Still, they should reduce pricing to make it more affordable for a lot of clients.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

In terms of advice I'd give to others, I'd say they have to create proper maps and ensure proper connectivity. They have to map the switch ports properly so that they will know exactly which port is down and which devices will be affected. They also have to evaluate the utilization and properly set the thresholds, otherwise, they will be getting a lot of notifications.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

IT Administrator at a maritime company with 10,001+ employees
Monitoring alerts enable administrators to be immediately notified and perform the required action
  • "The most valuable feature is the monitoring alerts. The administrators are immediately notified and can do the required action immediately. This is the feature we value and use the most."
  • "The storage level monitoring needs improvement. It needs storage level monitoring on the server itself. That feature is lacking right now."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for monitoring the hardware resources for the servers.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the monitoring alerts. The administrators are immediately notified and can do the required action immediately. This is the feature we value and use the most.

What needs improvement?

The storage level monitoring needs improvement. It needs storage level monitoring on the server itself. That feature is lacking right now. I already communicated with them and they are saying that this will be in a future release. The developers are working on it. This feature is really lacking but apart from this, this product is really good.

I have been using OpManger for one year.

It is stable. It's a very good and stable product. The only thing lacking is storage.

We have around five users using this solution.

Technical support is good. Not excellent but I can say it's good. We are satisfied.

We have only used this solution of its kind.

The initial setup is straightforward. It wasn't complex.

We implemented with an integrator. They installed and configured all of the settings.

What other advice do I have?

It's a very good tool and I would definitely recommend it to someone considering it.

I would rate it an eight out of ten. Not a ten because there is room for improvement and because it needs storage.

Fredrick-Massawe - PeerSpot reviewer
System Administrator at Bakhresa Group of companies
Easily monitor many servers from a single console
  • "It helps us a lot for monitoring our servers in one console, instead of going to individual servers."
  • "The licensing for this solution is not straightforward and should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for monitoring our local network and servers. We have on on-premises deployment.

How has it helped my organization?

We wanted a solution to monitor our service, which is why we decided to go with OpManager. It helps us a lot for monitoring our servers in one console, instead of going to individual servers.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the server monitoring tool.

What needs improvement?

The licensing for this solution is not straightforward and should be improved.

The dashboard is not that easy to manage for the layman. It requires some tricks, and if you don't know them then you cannot manage it.

If the storage is part of a device then I would like to be able to monitor it as a single device, rather than two separate devices.

We have been using this solution for about one year.

In terms of stability, there is no problem.

It is easy to scale, but scalability depends on the number of licenses you buy.

I have not dealt with technical support for this solution.

The initial setup of this solution is straightforward.

I deployed this solution myself, which took perhaps half an hour.

The licensing costs depend on the number of devices and accounts that are being monitored by the solution. It is a little bit tricky. For example, if it is monitoring storage then it will count the number of devices that are there. If you exceed the number of devices then it will cost a lot.

I evaluated SolarWinds using the trial version, and I found this solution to be easier to deploy and easier to manage. It also requires less processing than SolarWinds.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Syed Mohammed Wasi - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Consultant at Ministry of Finance - Saudi Customs
Generates helpful reports in our hybrid environment
  • "The most valuable feature is the network-related reporting."
  • "The dashboard has some limitations and should be more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is being used by Saudi Customs, and there are different classifications of ports. We have land ports, airports, and dry ports. In total, we have almost forty-two remote sites with a semi-centralized data center. We have both on-premises and cloud-based deployments in a distributed system.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the network-related reporting. This solution generates daily reports for network statistics, such as router uptime and events.

What needs improvement?

The dashboard has some limitations and should be more user-friendly. Other solutions, such as SolarWinds, have much better dashboards. This solution is difficult to use for non-technical users.

Having an option to call the help desk, like in other solutions, would be very useful for some problems. It would provide much more help for the end-user, or for those who are less technical.

This solution is not suitable for enterprise-sized deployments, as it sometimes hangs and needs to be restarted.

This solution has issues with connectivity from the client-side.

With respect to technical support, escalation through the levels has to be easier.

We have been using this solution for almost two years.

This solution is good for a smaller or medium-sized business. In an enterprise environment like ours, which is very big, the solution sometimes hangs and we need to restart. It may have to do with the configuration, I think it may be because of our large number of work stations and servers.

SolarWinds is more stable than this solution. OpManager seems to have more connectivity issues from the client-side.

Scaling this solution is easy. Sometimes, there is an issue where there is a conflict with licenses, but this is resolved with a call to technical support.

In terms of people using this solution, we have approximately twenty users in the data center, and one or two people for each port.

Technical support for this solution is fine. However, it is very hard to reach level one. Level two and three are ok, but they just give a general answer, such as switch something on or restart. Sometimes we need a technical person who can troubleshoot our problems quickly, which requires level one. It can take a lot of time to escalate through the levels. If you have a critical issue then it can be escalated to level one immediately.

Technical support has to be improved because for us to always start at level three, it is wasting our time.

Prior to this solution, we were using SolarWinds. It is a better product than the offering by ManageEngine, and I prefer it.

This product was recommended by our manager so we implemented a POC and found that it can mostly fulfill our requirements. We switched because we are running other ManageEngine products for things like Inventory Management, and the users are familiar with it.

During the initial setup, there are interviews by the Site Engineer. Once the setup is complete, our engineer will take care of the configuration and support. If there are any issues then we have to engage with the Site Engineer.

We handle the deployment on our own and ask for help if we need it.

What other advice do I have?

We are using another product from the same vendor that's called Device Control. This product is for working on remote sites, and it is necessary because OpManager cannot fulfill our requirements. In Device Control you have the ability to troubleshoot, remote control, and you have inventory management.

For anybody who is researching this type of solution, I would suggest doing a POC to see if this solution will satisfy your goals and requirements in your environment. This will help you with your selection.

Senior Infrastructure Engineer at Union Group
A solution that's very stable, easily scalable, and offers very good technical support

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for analysis and network cables.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable feature is its ability to reach most of our network devices and get the most from them.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be improved.

The solution should offer more options and themes.

I've been using the solution for three years.

The solution is very stable.

The solution has very good potential for scalability. It's easy. We have about 300 people on the solution right now. We may increase usage in the future, but it depends on if our needs grow or not.

Technical support has been very good so far. We're satisfied with them.

The initial setup is a bit complicated. It needs a technician who is very aware of the flow and how to officially set up the flow chart, etc.

We handled the implementation ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I would recommend the solution. I'd rate it nine out of ten.

it_user824682 - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Support Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
The ability to better customize the views helps us target exactly what information gets to the people who need to know it
  • "Flexibility in the two view dashboard helps viewers and admins get the information they need about the fetwork in a flash."
  • "The two views into the system are very good but could be extended to further customization to fit the need of end users in a variety of roles."

What is our primary use case?

We use the product as a network monitoring system. We have ten people who are using the system from the admin and end-user level. The platform is used daily and we are looking at extending it to other areas of the business to do different types of monitoring. We have dashboards that we put up that we leverage off and we want to get more systems incorporated.

How has it helped my organization?

OpManager allows us to customize the views better than previous solutions that we were using. This helps us target exactly what information gets to the people who need to know it.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature so far is the net-flow analyzer, which works exceptionally well. We have only just started playing around with the apps monitoring portion, but this seems like it will provide value as well. Beyond that, the ops manager portion, the monitoring in general, and the dashboards are all really excellent. The entire solution is very user-friendly. As the IT Manager, I don't have too much time to go investigate how things are running on the system. This is a solution to that problem.

What needs improvement?

The for the areas that can use improvement, I would say furthering the abilities of dashboard customization and enabling workflows into other systems. I think we could get much more out of the solution with greater flexibility. If we could customize access further and allow people to enhance role-based access, it would keep people focused on their tasks and the specific things they need to know. I think that is the only other thing I would like to see in the system. Now there are only two views: an admin role or a view role. Roles are fixed in the extremes and there is a middle ground that isn't served by either.

When you look at the price of the system, it is exceptional and a real value for money. However, it lacks strong local support. I can't blame the company because it is a new product, but that is one addition that would be very useful.

We have been using the product for a year and a half now.

The system is quite stable. Since we have had it implemented, I have not had a single day of downtime on the system. Even when it comes to upgrades there was no downtime. These guys do an excellent job of testing enhancements and upgrades, so it is seamless to deploy new versions.

I think the product is extremely scalable. We have actually gone from two thousand nodes up to five thousand nodes and there was no issue in scaling up. We were simultaneously looking at the HA solution at the time and even when upgrading two things at the same time, there was no downtime for the system.

In South Africa, the OpManager system is fairly new. With the current support structures in place, the support team is exceptionally helpful and they try to go the extra mile. However, I don't think they are as experienced with all the components of the system as the users would hope, so it makes installations a little bit difficult. They do escalate to external teams when it is necessary and warranted and we do get assistance when the local team cannot handle a problem. So from that perspective, I think they do an extremely good job in making sure that we are functional and that we have the contracted level of support. I do not think it is an entirely personal preference to assume that the local vendors would have a bit more knowledge about the products in order to support us properly and efficiently.

Regardless of any and all issues, support normally responds promptly (within a couple of hours). It is simply not desirable that the actual issues can take a few days to get resolved.

We previously used the Microsoft SCOM platform. The product was not very easy to configure. It is tedious and you need a lot of experience to get it done. That difficulty was the reason we moved away from it as a solution.

Installation was pretty straightforward. We did get assistance from the team locally assigned to assist us, but the majority of the work was done within our internal IT team.

We did initiate the implementation ourselves but we were, at times, assisted by our assigned team.

We had a return on investment almost immediately in that a consistent up-time has been easier to achieve. Alerts come through faster. Our staff has the ability to look at the dashboards and put things in place to make sure we don't have outages of the same sort. Previously on SCOM, it wasn't easy to manage and monitor the system. If you had to understand what an alert meant, it was very difficult. Now, the operator can click on the alert and immediately get details of the problem. Then they can drill down to get a solution very quickly.

As far as cost, it was around six hundred thousand rands ($40,500) for the year, for the renewals. That's the total cost for a four thousand node system including support and maintenance. If there is any additional development required, then that comes at an additional cost. We have not really customized too much. The one change we requested was added to the subsequent release. They built the resolution specifically for us and it didn't cost us anything and went out to all users who may have been experiencing similar issues.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the product an eight out of ten. The reason for that is that it is an exceptional value for the money. It may not be the absolute best, but it is certainly better than most solutions and the price differential is significant.

It is a good idea to get both the application monitoring package and the Ops Manager. They compliment each other, so I would suggest buying both.

With regards to the implementation, I would suggest making use of an implementer even though it is an easy system to implement. An implementer will have the experience to do the implementation according to standards and proper architecture. This will save you from errors, speed the implementation, and keep you from wasting time doing things over again. We did the original implementation ourselves and then we had to re-build and do things all over again because we didn't have the knowledge of the package. It did work eventually, but it would have worked much more efficiently if done correctly the first time.

Network Security Architect at DXC Technology
Device backups are smooth and managed centrally with a nice dashboard
  • "Defining thresholds and other alerting criteria is fairly simple and would not require a lot of training. This is very useful if you are managing a large environment."
  • "Device backups are smooth and managed centrally, with a nice dashboard, so you can quickly see the status."
  • "Needs an OVA, or more support for virtual deployments. Building a virtual instance of OpManager and OpManager Probe was a bit difficult because there was no OVA available."

What is our primary use case?

For enterprise clients:

• Platform monitoring
  • Network device monitoring
  • Fault monitoring
  • Alerting
  • Device configuration backups.

How has it helped my organization?

I have only evaluated OpManager in a lab. I have not implemented it in a real environment.

The product was fairly straightforward as far as setup is concerned. Although, the evaluation software provided did not include ISOs or OVAs. I am not certain whether this is just for the evaluation. This made it slightly more difficult to build a virtualized instance.

Device onboarding is easy, and there is pretty broad support for network and network security devices.

What is most valuable?

1. Defining thresholds and other alerting criteria is fairly simple and would not require a lot of training. This is very useful if you are managing a large environment.
  2. Device backups are smooth and managed centrally, with a nice dashboard, so you can quickly see the status.

Trial/evaluations only.
Product Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Alerts, reports, and automation together enable us to quickly troubleshoot
    • "It would be great if there were some sort of artificial intelligence feature which would help us make improvements in the network once we find an issue, and do it automatically."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for network monitoring. We monitor customer networks with it and the performance is extremely good. The distributed network has a lot of features that our customers really appreciate.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides us a way to quickly check any issue that could affect one of our network devices. We have alerts, we have reports, and we have automation. Everything together gives us an extremely fast way to troubleshoot issues that arise.

What is most valuable?

• All the automation capabilities
    • Reporting

What needs improvement?

It would be great if there were some sort of artificial intelligence feature which would help us make improvements in the network once we find an issue, and do it automatically.

It's very stable.

It has very good scalability. We can go from 250 devices up to 50,000 or more devices.

We use technical support at times, especially when there is a new release. Sometimes we need remote support from the manufacturer, and it is fine.

We used a freeware tool but it lacked reports and automation. Once we knew OpManager had these features we went for it.

Our most important criteria when selecting a vendor are that have a tool or program that is mature and stable, with automation and reporting features.

We did the full initial set up and it was very straightforward, there was no specific issue.

The other two vendors on our short list were Nagios, which is a great tool, and SolarWinds. The way that SolarWinds does licensing is very confusing and we didn't like it.

What other advice do I have?

It would be a 10 out of 10 if they had artificial intelligence features such that, besides monitoring and sending alerts, it would solve the problems in specific nodes that are causing issues. It would be great if we had that.

Download a testing license and try it for 30 days. It's worthwhile to have the tool in your local environment. Also, try to find a local partner that can help you with the initial set up.

PankajSoni - PeerSpot reviewer
    Sr. Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    ​Support needs improvement, though it has a rich GUI for infrastructure monitoring

What is most valuable?

• Rich GUI tool to monitor infrastructure.
    • Provides all types of monitoring in a single product.

What needs improvement?

Support is very bad. They should improve support and customer relationship.

Two years.

No issues in tools.

It depends on cost, the customer and architect.

It is straightforward.

It is fully depend on customer, on what he wants.

Yes, before choosing a product I evaluate it against all requirements.

What other advice do I have?

Before implementation, it is best to clarify all the customer requirements and  then choose products accordingly.

Technical Sales Consultant at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
    Enables the defining of thresholds, monitor, and alarm with multiple severities per monitor

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this product would be the ability to define thresholds, monitor, and alarm. Having the ability to set multiple severities per monitor allows for a proactive environment.

How has it helped my organization?

OpManager was able to provide graphs associating trending for disk growth and other hardware/network utilization.

What needs improvement?

The new user interface of 12.x is a major change from the legacy UI of 11.x and Fluid UI. The UI changes look nice and 12.x is geared towards mobility, but finding its settings can be challenging. I have found many inconsistencies between switching back and forth between the the legacy UI and Fluid UI as far as settings changing.

Also, every time I perform a version upgrade, something breaks.

I have also stumbled across many bugs, leading me to think that the quality control is lacking.

There is a big lack of documentation and feature requests rarely happen.

The OpManager community is very sparse on the ME forums as well.

A simpler backup solution would be nice. Especially one that doesn't require downtime. I had to script my own daily scheduled task which would run the backup script and rename the file by date and dump it into a folder that is backed up to tape. Their ADSelfService Plus product is great with backups and there is obviously a disconnect between teams if they can't share code to make backups easier.

I have used this solution for approximately five years.

Stability issues were rare, but did happen. They were usually remediated quickly by ME OpManager support.

My experience with scaling OpManager is minimal. However, when scaling out a VM environment, I have experienced issues requiring the VM hosts to be rediscovered, VMs removed from OpManager and re-discovered, and in some cases an entire VM host removed and re-added.

Tech support was good, however with their California time zone, not having 24/7 coverage is very disappointing, especially since any major changes were outside of normal business hours.

I have used Nagios, Cacti, Zabbix, OpenNMS, and PRTG. I worked for a company which had an instance of OpManager (9.x). It just worked and I fell in love with the workflow. Adding devices was a breeze and the trend data was simple to pull up and analyze, not to mention reporting features.

The initial setup of OpManager is very easy and straightforward. Unlike some competitors, especially on the Linux side, the wizard will guide you through your install and you'll be up and running in minutes. OpManager has a self-contained web server and SQL server that make life easy.

Pricing can be a bit high, but if you take advantage of the expertise of the developers and support like I did, it'll pay for itself. Also, if you have other ManageEngine products, they will provide additional discounts.

I did evaluate Nagios and Cacti (the combination), but being the only Linux guru at the time, no one was really on board with the maintenance and support for the Open Source solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Start out with the latest version and keep the product up-to-date. Most of my issues have stemmed from starting as a 10.x install and slowly upgrading to the latest version.

it_user720492 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Diretor Sistemas de Informação (CIO/CTO)
    Alerting Provides Real-Time Failure Insight And Can Occasionally Predict Failures

What is most valuable?

Device Monitoring, and especially Network Monitoring, Automation, Alerting, and Reporting.

• Device Monitoring gives us an excellent view of servers and workstations, providing tools to leverage capacity management.
    • Network Monitoring offers an extensive view of about 5000 network ports from different vendors, ranging from military grade switching to firewalls.
    • Automation lets us prepare triggers to fire on met conditions, like restarting failing services.
    • Alerting is the biggest asset as we can have real-time failure view and predict failures in some cases.
    • Reporting gives us the means to know the state of the art in aggregated views, even providing metrics for our CxOs.

How has it helped my organization?

Reduced, substantially, our MTTR, kept our team small and focused, and led to a more controlled budget.

What needs improvement?

Stability regarding upgrades, sometimes impacting database issues. ManageEngine takes good care of its customers and responds quickly.

10+ years.

10 out of 10. They are superb technically, and their development listens to customers.

Yes. Nagios Core. It was more difficult to deploy, needed agents to install on Windows, and lacked a pleasing visual representation of systems and dashboards.

Installation is very easy and has no complexity at all. After installation anyone with IT skills can become an OpManager Admin in just eight days.

I recommend the Essential Edition with the required device packs. The product is free for up to 25 devices and starts at $595.

Yes, Spiceworks. Nice product, but lacked robust features for enterprise.

What other advice do I have?

To have all purchased features available, a Windows base is necessary for product installation. Without that, monitoring and automation thru WMI for Windows will not be available. Works with MySQL or an external MS SQL instance. For performance I recommend an MS SQL instance. Installing a digital certificate is hard (although steps are easy) and doesn't always work first time.

Team Lead at EOH Managed Services Public Sector
    Monitor and reporting on device config changes.

What is most valuable?

Network device monitoring

Switch configuration reporting

Router configuration backups

How has it helped my organization?

Monitor and reporting on device config changes.

What needs improvement?

Change control.

2 Years

Excellent

Excellent

CA Technologies - Not agentless and required training

Easy and straightforward

Vendor team - Excellent

>50%

Much less compared to other products

Solarwinds

Netwrix

What other advice do I have?

Easy and agentless to deploy , service and support is excellent.

IT Manager at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
    Deploying agents through the application was problematic but overall deployment was easy.

What is most valuable?

FIM, and SIEM both available in free version (fewer than 10 devices).

We’ve been evaluating the free version for about a month.

Deployment was quite easy. We used the PostgreSQL version which comes with the install. Deploying agents through the application was problematic so we installed them manually.

Since we are a small shop, we only needed what was available in the free version.

Excellent. It was on my initial contact that the rep suggested I wait a day to download the product, as more functionality would be added to the free version.

Excellent. I have submitted a few support requests and received prompt, courteous assistance, even though we are using the free version of the software.

We have tried a few others but this is the first that offered file and log monitoring.

Very simple setup. Much easier than some of the other big-name monitoring solutions out there.

We implemented it in-house.

Yes, we looked at SolarWinds, Splunk, and Spiceworks.

Ravi Suvvari - PeerSpot reviewer
    Ravi SuvvariPerformance and Fault-tolerance Architect with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Top 5LeaderboardReal User

Very valuable inputs regarding OP Manager Review Bruce ; Thank you for sharing Ravi Suvvari

it_user2979 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Network Engineer at a tech consulting company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Reliable network monitoring and a feature-rich package

If you’re struggling with constant problems like servers running out of disk space, networks running out of capacity, and users knowing when services are “down” before you do, then ManageEngine’s OpManager may be the answer.

OpManager has a large number of features that can help tame unruly networks including:

Easy installation: OpManager can be installed in only a few minutes, and will optionally scan and discover your network.

Workflow Automation: New automation features go far beyond basic scripting. A simple workflow builder UI allows users to build complex routines that can run as part of regular maintenance, or be triggered by events. Possibilities include advanced programmatic if/then functions like restarting devices and executing scripts. Or, a workflow could be triggered by an outage, execute a series of troubleshooting commands, and send the results to an administrator for action.

REST API support: Gather data from Opmanager or from other 3rd party applications using built-in APIs.

Device monitoring: Monitor devices using a range of methods – SNMP, WMI, SSH/Telnet, and more. Hyper-V support is now included, making it simple to view all virtualized devices in one place. URL monitoring includes the ability to perform synthetic transactions to ensure that websites are responding.

Mapping: Automatically generate live map views, which show status of your devices.

The newest release of Opmanager has seen huge improvements over previous versions. Overall usability, the feature-set, and stability have all been improved. The GUI in particular has been upgraded to be much more intuitive and user-friendly, making navigation and finding useful data easy.

OpManager performed well when tested in the NetworkManagementSoftware.com lab. All features worked as expected, alerting on exceptions always triggered as designed, and reporting was comprehensive.

However, one small complaint was occasional difficulty loading custom MIBs for some of the more obscure devices on the network. Basic SNMP objects could still be polled successfully on those devices though.

ManageEngine offers free Demo versions of OpManager, and this software is well worth trying out on your network.

Pros:
    A feature-packed product that provides excellent network monitoring and alerting.
    Supports Hyper-V, URL monitoring, and also has ability to automatically create network maps.
    Automation features allow admins to automate routine tasks, including parts of the troubleshooting process.

Cons
    The large feature set can also increase complexity. Although the system is relatively easy to configure, admins may find that understanding and configuring features other than basic monitoring takes time.
    Still no multi-threshold alerting as of version 9 - e.g. different threshold levels for warnings, critical alarms, etc.
    Some difficulty loading custom MIBs for obscure devices.

Ravi Suvvari - PeerSpot reviewer
    Top 5LeaderboardReal User

Very valuable inputs regarding OP Manager Review Aaron ; Thank you for sharing Ravi Suvvari

Download our free ManageEngine OpManager Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022