IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

ManageEngine OpManager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

ManageEngine OpManager is #16 ranked solution in best Network Monitoring Tools. PeerSpot users give ManageEngine OpManager an average rating of 8 out of 10. ManageEngine OpManager is most commonly compared to SolarWinds NPM: ManageEngine OpManager vs SolarWinds NPM. ManageEngine OpManager is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 55% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 24% of all views.

Download the Network Monitoring Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is ManageEngine OpManager?

ManageEngine OpManager is a network, server, and virtualization monitoring software that helps SMEs, large enterprises and service providers manage their data centers and IT infrastructure efficiently and cost effectively. Automated workflows, intelligent alerting engines, configurable discovery rules, and extendable templates enable IT teams to setup a 24x7 monitoring system within hours of installation.

ManageEngine OpManager was previously known as OpManager.

ManageEngine OpManager Customers

Bonita, Thorp Reed & Armstrong, Galaxy, Fiserv Credit Union Division, Universitas 21 Global, ERP Suites LLC

ManageEngine OpManager Video

ManageEngine OpManager Pricing Advice

What users are saying about ManageEngine OpManager pricing:
  • "The initial cost is low and the add-ons are reasonable."
  • "In terms of pricing, I would rate it a two out of five. It was expensive."
  • "We had perpetual licenses. The cost was around 36,000 for OPManager, and then you'd have the yearly maintenance fee of 2,000 or 3,000."
  • "The licensing is on a yearly basis and the pricing is on the cheaper side."
  • ManageEngine OpManager Reviews

Network Engineer at a non-tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    This product discovers unusual behaviors and alerts the IT so problems are avoided
    • "This is a good general monitoring system that has all the features we require and they constantly update with new capabilities."
    • "This product is little bit slow sometimes. It may be that we need to change the configuration to improve performance."

What is our primary use case?

OpManager monitors the uptime and the performance of the network, servers, and applications. Additionally, it monitors the condition of the RAM, the CPU, and memory. It also monitors any inbound applications. We get notifications of any downloads or devices making unauthorized requests. It runs the processes on both sides. If it finds something we get an alert. It will tell us what the problem is and give us directions as to how to fix it.

What is most valuable?

Overall the environment is good. You can deploy it in an area of your network to evaluate risk. It can assess any unusual changes in what is going on. It is difficult to prevent IT intrusions. So if you use OpManager, it will make discoveries of unusual behaviors and give you reports. With that information, you can configure the IT to avoid those behaviors and you can avoid the potential issues.

What needs improvement?

The only thing I can think of that might be improved is that it is just a heavy software. When we start it up with the archiving software, we sometimes experience some lag. The access on the console is a little bit slow. It might be that we need to improve our configuration to be sure it is correct. If we improve the way we work with it and make it a lighter load on the software, that may be a solution. Performance needs to be our crowning star. This product is little bit slow sometimes.   If we improve the RAM, then maybe the performance will improve. It could be something that simple.

We have been using OpManager for between seven and eight years.
    June 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about ManageEngine, SolarWinds, Paessler AG and others in Network Monitoring Software. Updated: June 2022.
    610,190 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is stable. That is part of the reason why we are using it for a long time. That is a definite fact.

This product is used by the IT personnel. So it is the IT manager's domain, I suppose. Other users are not using this. Expanding the user base is not really necessary or likely.   It may have some limitations in monitoring the network if it is extremely large. We have not experienced this. If there are performance issues the equipment may need an upgrade. This is a load issue and it is not the fault of the application.

The support for the product is very good. They provided us the link for the product, we started the Windows server, they started the EFT (Electronic File Transfer). When we had downloaded the software, it started itself.   If any support is required, then they give us the support we need. They respond as declared within our agreement within a four-hour window. I can depend on the response time of the support team.    The maintenance is not required because hardware maintenance is not what we take care of. If the software reports that anything goes wrong and we not at all to understand the result, then we need to investigate and then fix that. This is our responsibility.   So my general opinion is that the support is very good.

In the initial setup, it is very easy to deploy. It supports SMB (Server Message Block) and WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) protocol. So with SMB and WMI, it can support multiple platforms like Linux and Windows and Cisco devices.

Considering the pricing, OpManager is actually one of the cheaper solutions in this category. When a new subscription is required for something additional like support and we add the required license, they charge a very little. So the initial cost is low and the add-ons are reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

In general, this product meets all our requirements, whatever our requirements are. I expect the product to perform as promised and use all the features that I need. It monitors the services, uptime, downtime, and that general requirement is met.   I think I have no real implementation requirements. They are also constantly improving by resolving some bugs and they also add some additional features. For example, now if we want to monitor file integrity and IT management, we can do that.   They also provide all services through the same console. If you want to, you can get other functionality through OpManager add-ons. If you want a service, you just buy the subscription and use the add-ons and monitor the multiple services in a single console.   There is firewall monitoring, network monitoring, application monitoring, and network configuration is also provided. For some things, an additional license is required.   If you had seen the previous versions, it is obvious that they have improved. So as of now, we do not need to ask for any requirements to be fulfilled. The IT person really only needs the alerts and designation as medium, critical, or high priority. This tool does that and it is a good monitoring solution.   On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would have to rate it a nine. They get a good rating because of the support and the features. Whatever they communicate, they provide.

Sr.Network Engineer at NTT Security
    Stable, difficult to install, and the technical support could be improved
    • "Monitoring is the most valuable feature of this solution."
    • "We would like link monitoring included. At times we need to monitor those specific links closely."

What is our primary use case?

We use ManageEngine OpManager to monitor our link status, latency, and errors.

What is most valuable?

It's a standard monitoring tool. It doesn't have a lot of extra features. It's primarily used for low-level monitoring.

Monitoring is the most valuable feature of this solution.

What needs improvement?

There are some concerns with the recording performance of ManageEngine OpManager. It does not offer accurate monitoring when compared to SolarWinds. We have seen endpoint collections lag, there has been some choking with a particular link, and it doesn't record properly.

ManageEngine OpManager should include drill-down features. If for example, we wanted to monitor a particular link closely, it should not be an option, it should available.

We have been using ManageEngine OpManager for the last five years.

ManageEngine OpManager is a stable solution.

We have one admin user, who logs in.

We have had several concerns with ManageEngine OpManager's scalability; it consumes a lot of resources.

We did not receive adequate support when we had problems during the installation. They take too much time to get it done.

I would rate them a two out of five.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

I have also worked with SolarWinds Network Device Monitor. It has been deployed on-premises.

We use SolarWinds Network Device Monitor to closely monitor links, which is not a feature that is available in ManageEngine OpManger.

There are significant differences when compared to SolarWinds. First and foremost, the accuracy will be completely different. When we use SolarWinds, we conduct a lot of proof-of-concept work, and occasionally we require specific data. We'll set up a trial enrollment at that time and collect the data. Which is different in ManageEngine. We can drill down if that particular graph is shown in SolarWinds. We cannot drill down in ManageEngine; instead, a five-minute countdown will begin. It will be correct every five minutes to one hour. If you raise the points, the links will be broken. I have approximately 3,000 links. If I increase that interval to one minute, it will consume more of the VMs.

SolarWinds is faster in terms of performance.

We have had some issues with the initial setup. We struggled to complete the installation.

When compared with SolarWinds, the pricing is a little lower. We chose the same because of the commercial aspect.

In terms of pricing, I would rate it a two out of five. It was expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate ManageEngine OpManager a five out of ten.

June 2022
    610,190 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Network Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    The fact that we can schedule reports enables us to have fewer spreadsheets to create
    • "You can put all of your work on there, they'll send you an email or send you a text. That functionality as a network engineer is the one I like the most. I do like the fact that we can schedule reports. That works too because that's a lot fewer spreadsheets that I have to create."
    • "OpManager is slow but that just might be the server we have it on. I don't think that's the problem but I don't do the server. But it is slow. When you're interacting with it, it could be more nimble and could be faster."

What is our primary use case?

My personal use case is for network management, traffic flow, am any kind of alerts. Anything you can think of, you can program through OpManager or anything on the network you can think of, you can program through OpManager. We run monthly and weekly reports and all of those are programmed and then in a week or a month, it's in your inbox. Your CIF log scan goes through it all.

What is most valuable?

You can put all of your work on there and they'll send you an email or send you a text. That functionality as a network engineer is the one I like the most. I do like the fact that we can schedule reports. That works too because that's a lot fewer spreadsheets that I have to create.

What needs improvement?

OpManager is slow but that just might be the server we have it on. I don't think that's the problem but I don't do the server. But it is slow. When you're interacting with it, it could be more nimble and could be faster.

The UI is fine, it's just a little sluggish. But once it's up and running, it's good.

I have been using OpManager for four years.

We don't have problems with stability.

It might be slow but it's stable. No problem there either. That's not something that should stop anybody from buying it. My preference would be to speed it up, but there's probably a reason why it's not as fast as I would like it.

I've only had to deal with support once or twice and I've never had a problem. My colleague handles it a little bit more than I do, and I've never heard him gripe about it.

I didn't set them up but from what I know about it, it's straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good solution. I wasn't part of the decision or part of the team at the time that they chose it but it definitely does what we need it for. It has more functionality than what we use it for, so I think it's overall a good solution. The only gripe I have is like everybody else, I would want it to be faster. That's the only issue I have.

I would rate OpManager a nine out of ten.

Senior Information Technology Specialist at a philanthropy with 501-1,000 employees
    I liked Network Configuration Manager, and it also had pretty good monitoring and alerts
    • "I liked Network Configuration Manager. They had some pretty decent features there, and they also had pretty good monitoring and alerts."
    • "The only problem with it is that the setup isn't very intuitive. I know that they just upgraded the product to make it a little bit easier to use, but compared to some of the other platforms, it is not easy to configure it, set it up, and get it running. However, once you have set it up and got it running, it runs great."

What is our primary use case?

I used it about six months ago. We implemented it in the last company I worked with. We were using it for patching, rolling out images, and other similar things.

We were using the most recent version.

What is most valuable?

I liked Network Configuration Manager. They had some pretty decent features there, and they also had pretty good monitoring and alerts.

What needs improvement?

Once it was set up and running, there were no issues with it. It seems to run fairly well.

It is scalable. I was the admin for this system, and we probably had over a thousand end-users. I was the only one who knew how to use it at the time.

Their tech support was pretty good. For any issues we had, they'd come in and work with us and get them resolved pretty quickly.

Its setup isn't very intuitive.

We had perpetual licenses. The cost was around 36,000 for OPManager, and then you'd have the yearly maintenance fee of 2,000 or 3,000.

What other advice do I have?

They have a service where they come in and configure it or do the setup for you for a price. I don't remember the price, but it was pretty reasonable. If you're not familiar with the platform, that might be a good thing to go with, especially if you don't want to go in and do the ifs and buts trying to set it up. It would be a lot easier if you had them come and set it up for you. With all the alerting and everything else that you have to set up with it, it takes a minute to get it up and running and have everything the way you wanted.

I'd give it a nine out of 10. I was really happy with it.

Technical Solution Specialist at a security firm with 51-200 employees
    A good product that is fairly stable but is too expensive
    • "We have found the solution to be stable."
    • "There are certain things that are not possible to do with Op Manager. It's a solution that still needs time to develop."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for network monitoring, that is, firewall routing, switching, and application monitoring.

What is most valuable?

The product itself is very good.

The deployment isn't overly complicated.

We have found the solution to be stable.

What needs improvement?

The pricing is too high, which is why we are considering other options.

ManageEngine provides things in different layers, so it's not all in the same product.

Technical support could be better.

They need to work on the user-friendliness of the solution.

The stability is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. We've found it to be reliable.

The solution is scalable, so long as you have the right licensing.

Technical support isn't as good as it could be and is a service that needs work.

The solution is neither easy nor hard to set up. I'm pretty neutral on the process of implementation. It depends on the customer and the scope.

The cost of the solution is too high.

Due to the price of the solution, we're looking into what else might be available.

We're considering nGeniusONE for a customer.

What other advice do I have?

I am a partner, cybersecurity partner, in Sri Lanka.

I'd rate the solution at a six out of ten. Our issue is mainly with pricing. Technical support also should be improved. More than that, the product has to be feasible in order for me to take it to the customer. I have a couple of potential customers who are truly looking for a different product than this. It just isn't going to give them what they need.

That said, I would recommend OpManager as there are other products I have seen that are not even up to the standard of OpManager.

Jose Antonio Rivera Mora - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Project Office Manager at Grupo Lala
    Easy to use, easy to deploy, and good support
    • "It is easy to use and deploy."
    • "We have been facing an issue since last year when a lot of our users started to work from home through their mobiles or computers. We are having trouble reaching these devices. We are now planning to publish our instance to the cloud so that we can reach these devices. Its performance should be improved in terms of the discovery of the devices. I would like to feel confident with the discovery that this solution does. For example, on my dashboard, I would like to be able to view a list of all devices seen on a specific server. At present, it is difficult to find such information. This would be an excellent feature to have."

What is our primary use case?

We are mainly using it for Windows operating systems.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use and deploy.

What needs improvement?

We have been facing an issue since last year when a lot of our users started to work from home through their mobiles or computers. We are having trouble reaching these devices. We are now planning to publish our instance to the cloud so that we can reach these devices.

Its performance should be improved in terms of the discovery of the devices. I would like to feel confident with the discovery that this solution does. For example, on my dashboard, I would like to be able to view a list of all devices seen on a specific server. At present, it is difficult to find such information. This would be an excellent feature to have.

We have been using this solution for around 18 months.

I don't have direct access to their technical support. However, I am aware of some of the tickets that our clients have raised, and they seem to provide information in an easy way. Their technical support is good.

I was not a part of the deployment process, but based on what I know, it was easy to deploy.

We had evaluated other products, and we decided to go for OpManager because of its ease of use and cost.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I feel comfortable working with it.

I would rate ManageEngine OpManager a nine out of ten.

Network security architect at ARCEP
    A simple, user-friendly solution with helpful support and plenty of documentation available
    • "Some of the most valuable features are the accessibility of the solution and the fact that it is simpler than other products. For example, discovering devices in the network is very simple, making it user-friendly."
    • "There needs to be improvements to make the solution capable of supporting more devices, and it would be good to see an option for automatic deployment."

What is our primary use case?

We use OpManager for monitoring our network devices.

What is most valuable?

Some of the most valuable features are the accessibility of the solution and the fact that it is simpler than other products. For example, discovering devices in the network is very simple, making it user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

There needs to be improvements to make the solution capable of supporting more devices, and it would be good to see an option for automatic deployment.

I would like to see MDM for our VCM in this solution.

My company has been using this solution since 2015.

I use this product daily, and the stability is very good and reliable.

This solution is very scalable.

The ManageEngine technical support team is very available.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The setup is not complex. It's really simple and there is documentation available. I would rate my initial setup experience as a five out of five.

We handled the deployment in-house. It took about five days, but much of that was prep time.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell someone considering this solution that the ManageEngine support team is very available and helpful, there is plenty of documentation, and the price compared to other products is very affordable.

I would rate this solution as a ten out of ten.

Senior System Engineer at Qatar Petroleum
    Easy to set up and well-priced, but feature enhancements are slow to be released

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use ManageEngine OpManager to monitor servers and network devices.

What is most valuable?

We use the NetFlow add-on.

Some of the useful features are NetFlow and analytics.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more enhancements made to the product. This would be better because compared to other products, the vendor is very slow at enhancing the solution.

I have been using ManageEngine OpManager for approximately two years.

In terms of stability and performance, it's fine.

This is a scalable product. We have approximately 500 users in the company.

We don't expect our usage of it to increase.

We have been in contact with technical support and are satisfied with the speed of their answers.

The initial setup is easy to do.

It took approximately two months to install and configure everything.

The initial installation has to be done by the vendor but afterward, you can do the configuration yourself. Two people are required for deployment.

The licensing is on a yearly basis and the pricing is on the cheaper side.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I can recommend to others.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Download our free Network Monitoring Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about ManageEngine, SolarWinds, Paessler AG, and more!
    Updated: June 2022