IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Looker OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Looker is #3 ranked solution in top Embedded BI Tools. PeerSpot users give Looker an average rating of 8 out of 10. Looker is most commonly compared to Tableau: Looker vs Tableau. Looker is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 70% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 22% of all views.

Download the Embedded BI Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Looker?

Looker is a data platform that brings data and business teams together by making it easy for everyone to explore and understand the data that drives business.

Looker Customers

Yahoo!, Etsy, Kohler, Hipcamp, Hubspot, Kickstarter, Venmo, Dollar Shave Club, 600+ customer

Looker Video

Looker Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Looker pricing:
"Looker is expensive and could be made better by reducing it."

Looker Reviews

Vice President Engineering at a pharma/biotech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy to set up and has good community support but requires better UI
  • "From a developer's perspective, the way the functionality's being handled is great."
  • "It needs to be more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

I have used the product with some clients.  We use it to build a dashboard for the executives of the businesses. With it, we can create better insights for them and create visualizations for the businesses. The primary use of the dashboard which we developed is to track the progress on the sales and marketing side. Basically, it's used to give companies better insights.

What is most valuable?

From a developer's perspective, the way the functionality's being handled is great.  The solution is stable. It's an easy product to set up. The solution offers helpful community support.

What needs improvement?

They need to work more on interactivity in order to help users interact with the tool itself. It needs to be more user-friendly. People should be able to access the tool in a much easier way when they are trying to develop something. Finding items is harder on Looker than it is on, for example, Tableau.  Looker needs to provide a better user interface.  Training should be freely available on platforms like YouTube. That way, people can go and learn the tool. Tableau and Power BI already provide a lot of free training and users can go and learn anything they need on their own. Looker is at a disadvantage when they don't have proper training easily available.  I have not seen much penetration in the market in terms of marketing. They don't seem to be doing any marketing with the tool.  They seem to be moving towards machine learning. However, they need to create a separate space for themselves in the market.

We haven't used the solution for that long.
Embedded BI Tools
July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Looker, Qlik, ThoughtSpot and others in Embedded BI Tools. Updated: July 2022.
610,190 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is quite stable. This is a late entry in the market compared to what Tableau or Power BI did in the market. It will take some time to really create that impression in people's minds about that tool. However, we haven't had issues with reliability.

The solution's scalability is good. Unlike Tableau, which becomes slow over time (when the data size increases), Looker has been decent.   Here there's a team of four or five people only who use the solution. It's not a big team. You don't need a lot of people to build the visualization. I'm not sure if there are plans to increase usage. That would be a decision of management.

I've not dealt directly with technical support. However, their community support is very helpful.

I'm aware of Power BI and Tableau. If I compare Tableau, Power BI, and Looker and Looker has a little bit of a disadvantage over Tableau. Tableau, in terms of how things have been created, is better from a user perspective. It is a little costly, however, at the same time, the kind of interactivity, the kind of interaction it gives to the business, is useful. Power BI is a little cheaper compared to Tableau in terms of subscription. Power BI also is great for companies that have a lot of databases like Microsoft SQL Server or Microsoft Azure.

The initial setup was decent and not that complex. It was easy.There's a deployment team here. I develop tool visualization and they take care of the deployment part. I don't directly deal with the setup process. I know that, with Tableau, it's just a few clicks and you are up and running. The same goes for Power BI.

We have an in-house team that deals with the implementation.

I have noted an ROI, however, a client would be more able to speak to which ways in particular.

I don't know their subscription fees. I am not really aware of where they stand in terms of pricing. However, it's my understanding that Tableau is more expensive.  The pricing for Power BI and Tableau varies quite a bit. You pay maybe $1,000 for a user subscription for Tableau and $100 for Power BI.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a consultant and I work with various tools. I basically work with whatever tool the client needs me to.  I'd advise potential new users to train and get good training. Go with the basic steps first. They need to learn the tool decently. A lot of people know Tableau and Power BI, however, when it comes to Looker, they need to do proper training. Looker should also provide some very quick training for the new users, and they should provide some training to the business users as well, with videos to show how to navigate the tool, et cetera. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. If the GUI was better, I would rate it higher.

Microsoft Azure
PM/DM at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
Matches all the requirements, performance optimization, features, good usability, very good integration capabilities, reliable, GCP
  • "The stability of Looker has been good since I have been using it. However, it depends on what components are being used."

What is our primary use case?

We cannot disclose our use cases.

How has it helped my organization?

I did not, yet. Our organization first needs to be transformed.

What is most valuable?

Looker matched the requirements. Very professional sales tiger team.

What needs improvement?

For any tailoring, we would contact our sales reps.

I have used Looker within the last 12-36 months.

Again, the stability of Looker depends on what components are being used.

The Looker solution itself did perform as expected in the test environment.

Looker can be scalable, but it depends on what components are being used. If the components are scalable and performant, then the solution can be highly scalable.

I have had a good experience with technical support. They are very good.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

Our current (still in use) solution did not meet basic requirements.

We cannot disclose the cloud provider. The cloud provider offered extensive, professional support for everyone willing to deploy the solution.

Both options are available. The vendor team is the best option, though.

Multi-million

With respect to buy solutions, cost is relevant.

However, the Looker solution would have outmatched the ongoing multi-million budget spending with respect to cost-efficiency.

Yes. We cannot disclose any competitors.

What other advice do I have?

Looker depends on the database components.

For example, if you have a underperforming database, then you likely will have a poor performance experience.

Download our free Embedded BI Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about Looker, Qlik, ThoughtSpot, and more!
    Updated: July 2022