Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

HPE Ethernet Switches OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

HPE Ethernet Switches is #10 ranked solution in top Ethernet Switches. PeerSpot users give HPE Ethernet Switches an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. HPE Ethernet Switches is most commonly compared to Cisco Ethernet Switches: HPE Ethernet Switches vs Cisco Ethernet Switches. HPE Ethernet Switches is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 52% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 24% of all views.
HPE Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide

Download the HPE Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is HPE Ethernet Switches?

HP has created the most open, integrated and software-defined networking portfolio and ecosystem of its kind – driving simplification with networks that understand, adapt to and protect your business applications in real-time. Only HP extends the momentum of software-defined networking everywhere–from the mobile edge to the heart of data centers.

HPE Ethernet Switches was previously known as HP Ethernet Switches.

HPE Ethernet Switches Customers
Emirates Palace Hotel
HPE Ethernet Switches Video

HPE Ethernet Switches Pricing Advice

What users are saying about HPE Ethernet Switches pricing:
  • "I like HPE switches because you get a perpetual license with the hardware. The initial cost is about the same as other switches, but it starts beating the competitors after three or four years because you don't have to pay for additional annual licensing costs."
  • "I believe HPE is less expensive than Aruba's and UniFi and that is why certain clients have chosen them as their solution."
  • HPE Ethernet Switches Reviews

Systems Engineer at Corporate System Supply
    Reseller
    They're solid and can last for up to 15 years
    • "I like that HPE's management functions are GUI-based, so it doesn't rely on command lines."
    • "I would also like to see a more centralized private management console for the series of devices. Most solutions are adopting centralized cloud-based management, but my client base believes cloud solutions are too insecure. You've got a few dozen switches, so it would be nice to have the ability to manage them on a "single pane of glass.""

What is our primary use case?

Around 90 percent of our clients have no in-house IT staff. We resell solutions and manage the hardware and software for networks and desktops. We're a provider of managed services and security. We spec out the solution they need minus the necessary software for their business.

How has it helped my organization?

HPE's switches get the job done. There are a million to choose from, but this is the one I prefer. You can't have a network without them, so it's hard to say that HPE switches do anything wonderful. So all you're looking at is price point and functionality.

What is most valuable?

I like that HPE's management functions are GUI-based, so it doesn't rely on command lines.

What needs improvement?

The GUI still doesn't cover everything. The basic stuff can be done in the GUI, but you still need to use the CLI to implement the advanced features. That's the biggest complaint. Some things still need to be configured in the command line interface. I would rather not use the CLI for anything.

I would also like to see a more centralized private management console for the series of devices. Most solutions are adopting centralized cloud-based management, but my client base believes cloud solutions are too insecure. You've got a few dozen switches, so it would be nice to have the ability to manage them on a "single pane of glass."

Everybody's doing that in the cloud. They want to charge you for the cloud, and you have no idea who has access to your network. That creates another attack vector because the switches are always phoning home. They can be hijacked, but everybody thinks that's what they want because they can manage it from anywhere. They like the convenience. However, I've been in the business for a long time, so I know it's going to come back to haunt them. It's just a matter of time before it happens.

HPE Ethernet Switches
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about HPE Ethernet Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using HP switches since they bought the technology from the Digital Equipment Corporation in the mid-1980s.

HPE switches have been rock-solid for many years. They usually outlast the servers. Their useful life is about 10 to 15 years. If you're not making major changes to the network, you never need to touch them. You can go for years without ever rebooting them. A lot of times they're only rebooted when there's a major enough power failure that they finally go down.

The scalability and backbone don't come into play often. I would say HPE switches are as scalable as anything else out there.

HPE customer service is pretty good. I rate their support eight out of 10. At times, they can be too slow to respond if you have an unusual request.  Sometimes, you have a problem that nobody on their team has seen.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

Typically, our clients haven't used anything else. Many of them have been using HPE for over 10 years, and we usually deployed the first switches, which would've been HPE. For some clients, we've completely replaced everything three times now during that time because things have reached the end of life and need to be replaced.

Deploying HPE switches is straightforward unless you have to enable some advanced features, then you need to go into the command line interface, which makes it more complex than necessary.

Usually, it takes only a few minutes to deploy because most of my clients' networks are pretty flat. The only thing we need to do is configure a few VLANs on the switch. After deployment, maintenance is minimal.

It's like the janitor. You can't have a business without it, so it's hard to say that you're not going to save money because you put one in. You have to have it, so it's hard to say that there is a return on investment. It's just one of those things you need to do business. It's like saying the ROI for the power bill. You either make money or you don't.

I like HPE switches because you get a perpetual license with the hardware.
    The initial cost is about the same as other switches, but it starts beating the competitors after three or four years because you don't have to pay for additional annual licensing costs.

We also pay for a support contract as well. It's optional, but you don't get software updates without the contract.

What other advice do I have?

I rate HPE Ethernet switches a solid eight out of 10. This is the best product to get if you're not doing something special. If you're doing something odd, you should consider going with Cisco.

There are many cheaper options, but they don't have lifetime hardware support. That's one of the reasons I like HPEs better.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: partner & reseller
    Andriejus Artamonovas - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Specialist at DataBank
    Has a simple and understandable user interface
    • "I value that there is a clear place to find a MAC table with HPE Ethernet Switches."
    • "The next release would benefit from adding a central management that could be deployable on premise and allow you to see the layout of topology."

What is our primary use case?

The use case of this solution depends on our client's environment. Some use HPE Ethernet Switches right out of the box, while some of them use models where the interface can only be opened by Internet Explorer.

The primary use cases would be office interconnection and industrial interconnection. The switches are best suited for our small or medium-sized clients.

What is most valuable?

For me, as an administrator, I value that there is a clear place to find a MAC table with HPE Ethernet Switches.

HPE Ethernet Switches are quite robust. I have not seen them damaged to the level that they are not operable anymore.

The solution has a simple and understandable user interface providing everything I need.

What needs improvement?

In the past, I have encountered configuration problems with the Spanning Tree Protocol. The switches were only handling a single loop. There were quite a few looped switches that could not handle the board blocking, creating the need to manually fight each loop. I have not had the same problems with the newer models of HPE Ethernet Switches.

HPE Ethernet Switches tend to hang from time to time, but all switches do that.

The next release would benefit from adding central management that could be deployable on-premise and allow you to see the layout of topology.

I have been working with HPE Ethernet Switches for about one year.

The solution is stable. HFE does not fail any more or less often than other switches.

HPE Ethernet Switches, especially the 1820s, are best suited to small or medium-sized organizations, however each case is model dependent. The switches we use, are used in large companies, but they are fractured into smaller layers of three subnets.

The solution is scalable, you can add a switch when you need to, and you can reconfigure it.

I have not had the need to contact customer service and support. Any past issues, we were able to resolve by go through some of our forums.

Since our company provides services, we work with the switches that the clients have. Most of the switches we work with are HPE's, Cisco, and UniFi.

I found that when using Aruba or UniFi, you have to search for the MAC table from CLI. This is difficult because when someone calls using a MAC, I will not get the IP address and I need to guess where the user is.

UniFi requires less intervention in configuration, requiring some tune-up support. HPE needs to be configured manually.

The initial setup of HPE Ethernet Switches is straightforward. The time it takes to deploy depends on the overall network configuration, including the number of LAN, number of up links and down links for that switch.

If you only need to connect the switch to the up link and give out for a test for the end devices, it would take a maximum of thirty minutes after installing the switch to its correct place.

In a case where there is a lot of VLAN with some trunking, deployment could take a couple of hours.

I would rate the initial setup of HPE Ethernet Switches a five out of five. They require little to no maintenance and are reliable enough.

As a technician, I am not certain of pricing, but I believe HPE is less expensive than Aruba and UniFi and that is why certain clients have chosen them as their solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend to anyone looking into implementing HPE Ethernet Switches to go for it if the price makes sense for their organization.

Overall, I would rate HPE Ethernet Switches an eight out of 10.

HPE Ethernet Switches
    September 2022
    632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Head of Technical Support at a real estate/law firm with 51-200 employees
    Stable and scalable; very dependable
    • "Stable and scalable."
    • "Installation could be made more secure."

What is our primary use case?

These are units that are a two or three layer solution. Since it's from HP, we have a lifetime warranty for these switches, unless the product is already phased out. But in most cases it takes a long time before they're out of a cycle. Most of these are quite durable. We are customers of HPE Ethernet Switches and I'm head of technical support.

What needs improvement?

I think this solution could be improved if the installation could be made more secure. From our point of view, HP could have SNMP product softwares that would allow us to track all the assets, and then to connect, to identify our equipment. There are options which would allow us to secure the equipment. I think with the enterprise solution, if it's HP, then there is a need to integrate it with an HP product for it to work. The only way to simplify this is with VLANs and then routing, and then let the systems take over when it comes to firewalls and other things. Implementation of those things would allow us to have tighter security.

I've been using this solution for 10 years.

It's an enterprise solution so it's stable.

It's mostly quite scalable and quite straightforward.

If we have problems, we tend to resolve it ourselves. Sometimes there are bugs but it gets sorted out after a while.

We previously used IBM but they gave up on those products and sold the PC and printer business. We started using HP before that happened.

The initial setup is quite straightforward. Once we have the manuals, and can enable the VLAN and routing functions, we can set the redundancy, our STP, so that from switch one to switch two, you can set four lines to be redundant. In the event that one line is cut, the others will take over. We can also do a link aggregate where you combine the different lines together to increase the bandwidth. These are mostly the straightforward functions that we use as far as the switches are concerned.

In terms of deployment time, we usually define the IP addresses for the switches so we can access it remotely. Then it's a straightforward thing. There's a plan for us to do some more straightforward definition in the coming months. We do the deployments ourselves. We currently have between 200 - 300 users. I use five or six people and then we can deploy in a week or two.

What other advice do I have?

There's the familiarity factor for us. It's something that we hold on to. If you know the product is stable, and it's not outdated then you'll continue to use it. I think it's on par with other vendors like Dell. I'm very satisfied with everything. I've been using HP for a long time already and I think it's quite reliable, even my printer is HP.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

IT at a manufacturing company with 201-500 employees
    Fast, stable, and comparable to other options on the market
    • "The speed is very fast."
    • "The solution is very comparable to Huawei, however, it could be more scalable. Huawei is easier to scale."

What is most valuable?

The solution is great in the sense that it has all of the capabilities of all of the other switches and it is very competitive in the market.

The solution is very stable.

The speed is very fast.

It can scale as well as other switches on the market.

The pricing is very good. It's less expensive than, for example, Cisco.

The installation is very easy.

What needs improvement?

The solution could always improve its stability. It's pretty stable already, however.

I've been using the solution for several years at this point.

The solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's very reliable in terms of the performance it offers us.

The solution can scale well. It's comparable to other switches on the market in terms of its scalability potential. If a company needs to expand it, it should be able to do so.

We have 200 users on the solution currently. We do plan to continue to use the product.

I've been in touch with technical support in the past and have found them to be very helpful and responsive. We're satisfied with the level of service we receive when we contact them.

I use a variety of different solutions. I work with Aruba Switches and Ubiquiti Switches as well as Cisco and Huawei Switches.

The process of installing the solution is not overly complex or difficult. It's very easy and extremely straightforward. A company won't struggle with the process at all.

The deployment is very fast. It doesn't take much time. Of course, different requirements mean that users need to take into account different configurations.

One of its greatest selling features is its price. It's very cheap - much cheaper than Cisco. That, coupled with its general comparable capabilities to other items on the market make it a very attractive option.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure which version of the solution we are currently using.

When you compare it to other switches, there are no real big differences. It may have a few different specifications here or there, however, largely, it's comparable to everything else that is also on the market.

In general, on a scale from one to ten, I would rate the solution at an eight. I've been largely quite pleased with its overall capabilities so far.

I'd recommend the solution to other companies and users.

Director at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Reseller
    Good initial setup and decent scalability, but is expensive
    • "The scalability is very good."
    • "The solution is a bit expensive."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily sell the solution to our client base. The customers are typically telecom operators or enterprise-level companies. It's used primarily for data center applications and connectivity solutions.

What is most valuable?

The initial setup isn't too bad.

The scalability is very good.

What needs improvement?

The solution is a bit expensive.

The stability needs to be improved upon. It's not as good as it could be.

The solution should offer more automation. It's not good compared to Cisco, or any other brand.

The company needs to offer much better local support. Right now, it's not great in terms of technical support.

We've been dealing with the product for a long time. It's been over a decade. Likely, we've been selling HP for 12 years at this point.

The stability isn't ideal. It could be much better. It's an aspect of the solution they could work on.

Scalability is not an issue. The solution expands well. If a company needs to build it ut and scale it, they should be able to do so pretty easily.

I'm not sure how many people within our company actually use the solution, or how many of our clients have it. I don't know that we have around 20 technical people that work with the solution.

I don't find the technical support aspect of the solution very helpful. I'm not satisfied with the level of support provided.

We're also using Cisco switches. We also an Indian brand known as Edge Appeal.

This solution lacks the automation that Cisco, for example, offers.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward for the most part. It's not too complex.

I didn't personally handle the implementation myself, as I'm not very technical. I couldn't comment on how long the deployment takes as I wasn't directly involved.

You do need to pay quite a bit for the license.

The pricing could be a little bit less, to be honest. As a product that's made in Taiwan, you would assume it would be cheaper than it is.

What other advice do I have?

We're resellers of the solution.

I'm not really on the technical side.

I'd recommend the solution for the most part. It's fine to use.

Overall, the solution is average, which is why I would rate it at a five out of ten.

SOC at Airline Company
    Simple to set up and lasts a long time, but some older models have low bandwidth
    • "It's stable and performing well."
    • "The scalability is limited."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it for switches. We use it to interconnect all the LAN, and WAN switches. It's great for creating an interconnected network.

What is most valuable?

It's stable and performing well.

The solution is simple to set up.

We've been using old models for the longest time now. They're reliable and function well even after all this time. The wear factor is very low, and they're still reliable. If the bandwidth is not an issue, a company can use it for a very long time.

What needs improvement?

Some of the older versions have lower bandwidth.

The scalability is limited.

We've used the solution for the longest time right now.

The solution is stable and the performance is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It does not crash or freeze on us. It is reliable.

The solution can only scale so much. There are limitations in terms of the number of ports.

While we have one group using the switches, everyone is benefiting from them as we are using them to connect our networks.

We have about 3,000 users on the solution right now.

I'm not sure if we have plans to increase usage. We're still coming out of the pandemic.

Our vendor usually provides support. We're satisfied with the level of service we have.

The initial setup is simple. It's straightforward. It's not complex or difficult.

My colleague implemented it with other switches.

The vendors who are bringing the switches to our company, or the vendors who are selling the switches, will provide the staff to help install the solution. Usually, there are around five persons at a maximum helping to assist.

We've seen an ROI. With some switches, they are still with us, they're still operational. We've only had to upgrade a bit which is the only reason why we're replacing them. If we didn't replace them for the upgrade they'd still be working. They last a very long time. You get your money's worth.

I can't speak to the exact licensing costs.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not familiar with which version we're using.

I'd recommend the solution to others.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

IT Manager at a government with 51-200 employees
    Effective, simple to use, stable, and easy to install but the GUI could be improved
    • "It's fairly lightweight, they don't require a lot of maintenance."
    • "The ability to stack, as well as a unified operating system, would be extremely beneficial."

What is our primary use case?

We use HPE Ethernet Switches for access control or access switches.

How has it helped my organization?

HPE Ethernet Switches have helped us build ACLs and VLANs.

What is most valuable?

They are effective.

We have some fairly simple requirements, we can do the things that we need to do, it gets the job done. The interfaces are more user-friendly than they were ten years ago.

It is simple to operate, and they have the feature sets that we require.

It's fairly lightweight, they don't require a lot of maintenance.

What needs improvement?

In general, the web GUI, or web interface, requires improvement.

Interface, and the ability to do things that are only possible through the command line, which seems pointless because there is no reason to have a command line for many of the functions.

The ability to stack, as well as a unified operating system, would be extremely beneficial. It isn't there. They are budget switches.

I have been using HPE Ethernet Switches for 15 years.

We use several versions of this solution, ranging from the most recent to some that are over ten years old. We have a full spectrum of switches.

We have no issues with the stability of HPE Ethernet Switches. It is stable and it works.

Scalability is determined by a pricing decision. HPEs are not at all a Juniper or anything like that, but for a budget shop like ours, they are adequate.

Our company has 250 users who use this product extensively.

I have never contacted technical support.

Previously, we had not used another solution. We started with HPE Ethernet switches.

The initial setup is relatively straightforward.

It took a couple of hours to get it set up and configured.

I am responsible for the maintenance of the product.

We did not use a consultant or integrator to assist us with the configuration, we did it ourselves.

There are no licensing fees, the price of the product is all that is required.

What other advice do I have?

It is what it is and can be used by anyone; no expertise or prior knowledge is required.

I would rate HPE Ethernet Switches a seven out of ten.

Kelem Birhane - PeerSpot reviewer
    Enterprise Solutions Manager at Ethio Telecom
    Easy to set up and quick to deploy with fair pricing
    • "You can scale the product as needed."
    • "It would be ideal if the product offered more security."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the switch mechanisms.

What is most valuable?

We actually use these only as the situation calls for it. It depends on if the switches make sense for a company. They are good for IT companies and enterprises.

The solution is stable and the performance is good.

You can scale the product as needed.

It is a product that is very easy to set up and deploy.

The pricing is pretty good.

What needs improvement?

It's not easy to find the devices. Companies often don't keep them in stock and only get them when there is a demand.

It would be ideal if the product offered more security.

I've been dealing with HP for years now. It's been a while.

The stability is good. The solution offers good performance and reliability.

The solution is scalable and easy to expand. If a company needs to scale, it can do so.

We have maybe 1,000 people using the product in our company right now.

I've dealt with technical support in the past and never have had issues with their level of service. I'm satisfied with them.

I'm also familiar with Cisco, which is a bit more expensive.

It is easy to set up the product. It doesn't take long either. Deployment might take an hour. It's not a difficult process at all. A company wouldn't have any issues setting everything up.

The product itself is less expensive than, for example, Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a customer and an end-user. I don't have a business relationship with HP.

I'm not sure which version of the solution I'm using at this time.

I'd recommend the solution to other people and other companies.

I would rate the solution an eight out of ten.

Download our free HPE Ethernet Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022