IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Documentum xCelerated Composition Platform OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Download the Business Process Management (BPM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Documentum xCelerated Composition Platform?
EMC Documentum xCelerated Composition Platform (xCP) improves how you build applications. As a dynamic composition platform, xCP combines integrated technologies and prebuilt components with graphical modeling and configuration tools to emphasize composition and configuration over custom coding.
Documentum xCelerated Composition Platform Customers
CNAMTS
Documentum xCelerated Composition Platform Video

Archived Documentum xCelerated Composition Platform Reviews (more than two years old)

Salih çakır - PeerSpot reviewer
Developer at Halkbank
Good accelerated platform but it uses a lot of CPU and RAM
  • "The most valuable feature is the management."
  • "They should develop something so that bugs don't happen in our project. We make changes manually and some bugs happen."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the management. I like the accelerated platform but it uses a lot of CPU and RAM.  It is easy to develop a VPN and UI.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvement, we have had bugs with version 2.2. They should develop something so that bugs don't happen in our projects. We make changes manually and bugs happen.

I have been using this solution for six years.

It is easy to expand. We store many workflows in it and we are going to expand the project after the next upgrade to include all of our workflows.  There are around 5,000 uses but after the upgrade, it will be closer to 20,000 users.
Business Process Management (BPM)
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Dell Technologies, Comindware, Pega and others in Business Process Management (BPM). Updated: June 2022.
610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We get our support from a partner, not from them directly. I don't like the consultancy, they don't have a lot of experience but they sell this solution. The support needs to be better.

The installation is easy.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a seven out of ten.  They should improve the licensing model. We can't get to a license agreement, they recommend a certain license but I don't think we need everything. The licensing model should be more clear.
SamyEwais - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager, ECM Implementation at International Turnkey Systems - ITS
Documentum Enterprise Content Management (ECM) and xCelerated Composition Platform (xCP)
  • "The most valuable feature is that it's a central repository for everything, whether it's videos, documents, Excel sheets, etc."
  • "The vertical application could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I work as a manager for professional services implementation and Documentum Implementation engineer, we are partner with Dell EMC for Documentum Platform. We provide professional services to our customers, mainly government entities, implementing the product on-premises.

Our primary use case is generally twofold: Enabling our clients to have one repository, a centralized system, for all types of documents - PDFs, Word documents, and scanned images. And secondly, enabling document sharing between teams while maintaining security.

There's also the addition of the high volume batch scanning of the Captiva module which is a smart automated capture solution with image enhancements, indexing, utilizing OCR technology to identify document types. Each document is linked to specific metadata for business information, extracting and indexing, raising the texture of the scanned image, and auto-indexing the business fields, which is then integrated automatically to the ECM repository.

We utilize XCP, the xCelerated composition platform to develop business applications, supporting case management solutions for our customers, and also automate work review, approvals and specific business processes.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it's a central repository for everything, whether it's videos, documents, Excel sheets, etc. Building on top of the document platform means business applications can share and integrate with this repository. Although everyone has their own local disk with many documents these days, there's a need to have one single repository, one source of truth so you know you have the latest version, including comments, earlier versions, approvals, history, audit trail, etc., everything related to that document management platform.

What needs improvement?

I think the vertical application could be improved. The integration with business applications means that sometimes the end-user, for example, the finance person, wants to see the scanned copy from inside the SAP form, or from inside the Oracle form and although Documentum claims it, it's not simple because integration between the ERP business applications and Documentum doesn't work so well.

If I'm searching for a certain transaction in the business application form and I want to see the attachments, the original scanned copy of the invoice, or the PO without the need to have another interface to login and search for a document, I want to be able to click on some sort of customized button or something to retrieve the attachments or the related documents from inside the ERP business application interface.

When it comes to additional features, OpenText announced that they are working to develop new modern web interface that will allow integration with Documentum repository as a backend. This was a concern because other competitors have a GUI, an outstanding user experience. It's a little slow now with OpenText, but if they release this in the coming two quarters, it would be great.

We've been using the product for 14 years.

It's a very stable product, one of the leaders in the market.

The product is very scalable.

When Dell EMC had the technical support, it was better in terms of response and resolution. After the acquisition of Documentum from Dell EMC to OpenText the support became not as good in terms of responses and resolutions. I believe OpenText is working to enhance it in the coming years.

We started with Documentum, the enterprise content management platform. Recently, we have been involved with two or three projects using IBM Filenet, a competitor to Documentum and we had a small to medium-size customer requiring an open source for archiving or document management, so we utilized Alfresco Community Edition.

The initial setup is simple. There is a lot of documentation and we have our own procedures for installation based on individual architectural requirements. Deployment time really depends on the environment. If it's only Documentum that's quite a quick process, but if it's the whole bundle with Documentum Engine Xplore, CPS, then it can take three days and if you're adding extras on top of this then it will take longer. Deployment usually requires one or two people.

Governments organizations don't pay an annual cloud subscription licensing fee, most licenses for government organizations are perpetual.

What other advice do I have?

The architecture of Documentum is outstanding compared to other solutions like FileNet and Alfresco. However, IBM's revamp of FileNet to reposition it might make a difference. They have a complete bundle now for Digital Business Automation (DBA). All types of tasks, content management, data capture, and workflow automation solutions are already bundled out of the box and integrated.

People should be aware that the learning curve is steep. It's best to have an expert carry out the architecture and configuration implementation because it contains lots of modules, so it needs expertise.

I would rate this product an eight out of 10.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Certified Business Partner
Business Process Management (BPM)
June 2022
610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Director of Enterprise Applications and Integrated Solutions Department at a library with 1,001-5,000 employees
​Process Engine enables handling multiple large-scale business processes/applications

What is our primary use case?

Using Documentum products such as Content
Server, xCP, Captiva, 90+ large-scale Business Processes/Applications have been
successfully implemented for moving forward to be paperless organization. These
processes are fully integrated with our Oracle E-Business Suite (Financial Modules
plus HRMS) in addition to integration with custom enterprise systems built
in-house

How has it helped my organization?

Reduced request cycle time, along with enhancing request tracking and archiving. Moving towards a paperless organization, it has facilitated paperwork easily in a fast and elegant way.

What is most valuable?

Process Engine for handling over 90 large-scale business processes/applications. also Documentum Content Management System is very powerful.

What needs improvement?

Documentum xCP 2.3 is still has some drawbacks such as :

1• Dependent filtration among multiple drop down lists in Result list

2• Unable to access all user tasks from all processes in user inbox (not only the processes included within the application)

3• Unable to include task link in task notification mail automatically

Three to five years.

Seven out of 10.

Straightforward, by following the installation document.

in-house

Reduced request cycle time, along with enhancing request tracking

Licensing according to organization scale. Captiva software in case of backlog archiving.

SharePoint, IBM, Oracle.

What other advice do I have?

Make use of load balancing. Try simplifying forms as best you can to avoid performance issues.

Download our free Business Process Management (BPM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Dell Technologies, Comindware, Pega, and more!
Updated: June 2022