Dell vSAN Ready Nodes OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Dell vSAN Ready Nodes is the #12 ranked solution in HCI Software. PeerSpot users give Dell vSAN Ready Nodes an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. Dell vSAN Ready Nodes is most commonly compared to VxRail: Dell vSAN Ready Nodes vs VxRail. Dell vSAN Ready Nodes is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 63% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.
Dell vSAN Ready Nodes Buyer's Guide

Download the Dell vSAN Ready Nodes Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2022

What is Dell vSAN Ready Nodes?

Dell EMC vSAN Ready Nodes are pre-configured building blocks that reduce deployment
risks with certified configurations, improve storage efficiency by up to 50%1
, and can help
you build or scale your vSAN cluster faster.14 Whether you're just getting started, and/or
expanding your existing VMware environment, Dell EMC is here for you every step of the
way with consulting, education, deployment and support services for the entire solution.

Dell vSAN Ready Nodes was previously known as vSAN Ready Nodes.

Dell vSAN Ready Nodes Customers

Rackspace

Dell vSAN Ready Nodes Video

Dell vSAN Ready Nodes Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Dell vSAN Ready Nodes pricing:
  • "We have a four-year contract to use Dell EMC vSAN Ready Nodes."
  • "The price of the solution was reasonable."
  • "There is a problem, which is the lack of an integrated price structure."
  • Dell vSAN Ready Nodes Reviews

System Administrator for virtual platforms at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Uncomplicated process for adding nodes to create storage space
    • "The solution immediately expands storage area when you add nodes."
    • "The solution should provide daily task alerts for data recovery maintenance, usage, and other instructions to ensure the systems are in a good status."

What is our primary use case?

We run the solution on VxRail and use nodes to create storage space for replication. Our main servers are critical and include DNS, active directories, domains, and mail. The vSAN Ready Cluster Node using Veeam accommodates replication every few hours so we always have a copy of the latest virtual server delivered from the VxRail to the data recovery cluster.

What is most valuable?

The solution immediately expands storage area when you add nodes. If there is a family of computers connected to a host, adding a node isn't complicated and makes space available in the vSAN storage area.

UnityVSA works very well with vSAN Ready Node for home directories.

What needs improvement?

The solution should provide daily task alerts for data recovery maintenance, usage, and other instructions to ensure the systems are in a good status. The only alerts provided are during system builds and I want to be more connected to the applications I'm using.

I have been using the solution for two years in an academic setting that includes 500 users across staff and students who are in transit mode.

Dell vSAN Ready Nodes
    December 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Dell vSAN Ready Nodes. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2022.
    656,862 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have moved to a more stable status because we have added a node. When we ran only two nodes, we experienced a mirror or witness issue but will no longer need a witness with the extra node.

The solution is scalable and working well so we are extending the cluster with another node to make more space.

We haven't had a need for technical support but did receive sought advice on extending space and whether to expand a node or add another. The technical recommendation was to add a node.

We previously used another solution but experienced roadmap issues because products were not compatible enough for our system.

The initial setup requires that each stage works perfectly before you move to the next stage.

Veeam does not care what product you use at the lower level, but that first stage of installation must be completed successfully because it connects several other products. There might be compatibility issues between components so it is important to use product versions that are supported.

The deployment did not take long and was more a matter of waiting for delivery of parts needed for nodes.

I am interested in learning more about the roadmap between Veeam and VMware.

The first time we worked with disaster recovery, we used an integrator but now we manage the solution in-house.

In our production area, we have storage on UnityVSA where we keep replica copies of home directories located in the vSAN.

What other advice do I have?

When building the solution, think about the target and separate each cluster without mixing them or using vSAN Ready Cluster for most applications. Use one target and one application for each cluster so that it is easy to add more jobs. If you have a cluster for a Veeam platform then that is all it includes and nothing else.

I rate the solution an eight out of ten.

Technical manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Multiple workloads available, responsive support, and simple initial setup
    • "I have found the most important features of Dell EMC vSAN Ready Nodes are the capacity to manage the storage because the storage is built in the servers. The type of profiles you can attribute to the storage is a benefit. You can manage the storage by profiles. Overall the solution is a good speed and performance."
    • "Dell EMC vSAN Ready Nodes is a great hyper-converged system that is a perfect platform for supporting any kind of workload. The only workload that it's not designed to support is big data."

What is our primary use case?

We use Dell EMC vSAN Ready Nodes in different types of workloads.

What is most valuable?

I have found the most important features of Dell EMC vSAN Ready Nodes are the capacity to manage the storage because the storage is built in the servers. The type of profiles you can attribute to the storage is a benefit. You can manage the storage by profiles. Overall the solution is a good speed and performance.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Dell EMC vSAN Ready Nodes for approximately five years.

Dell EMC vSAN Ready Nodes is a stable solution.

You can scale Dell EMC vSAN Ready Nodes vertically and horizontally. You can add assessing units and storage to one server, and add another server that can contribute to the whole group.

We have approximately five clients using this solution.

I have contacted the support from Dell EMC vSAN Ready Nodes because we have new devices or new hardware that can come with new features. Sometimes we have to consult the manufacturer in order to receive the best drivers or the best software.

I previously used VxRail and I switched to Dell EMC vSAN Ready Nodes because of the ease of maintenance. It's very easy to maintain because it has a layer that can automate all the things you need to. For example, in a normal solution, you have to shut down one host, upgrade that host, then bring that up again, shut down the other one, and upgrade that one. When this is done with Dell EMC VxRail, it is automatic.

The initial setup is easy. VMware has a straightforward deployment of any hyper-converged infrastructure. The full deployment of 10 Dell EMC vSAN Ready Nodes takes approximately one day.

I can do the implementation myself. However, only infrastructure workers can do this kind of deployment. For example, an insurance company a Dell EMC vSAN Ready Nodes, I don't believe their IT managers or IT people can do this as quickly or as well as we do, because we are used to doing it.

We have a four-year contract to use Dell EMC vSAN Ready Nodes.

The price of Dell EMC vSAN Ready Nodes could be better, it is a little expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Dell EMC vSAN Ready Nodes for any kind of workload but not something that has large amounts of data. Any kind of solution you need the performance. For example, private clouds are built of hyper-converged systems.

I rate Dell EMC vSAN Ready Nodes a nine out of ten.

Dell vSAN Ready Nodes
    December 2022
    656,862 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Siddhesh Sawant - PeerSpot reviewer
    Sr. Customer Support Engineer at Magnamious Systems Pvt. Ltd.
    User-friendly, easy to manage, and issue-free
    • "We find the initial implementation process simple and straightforward."
    • "The solution doesn't scale."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for pharma, as they are using it for different kinds of things like their OTIP network. There are some cases in the hotel industry and mining as well. Nowadays most of the clients are going from traditional architecture to vSAN, or any other hyper-converged option

What is most valuable?

The solution is pretty much issue-free. We haven't had any problems.

It's quite stable.

The solution has proven to be quite user-friendly.

We find the initial implementation process simple and straightforward.

It is very easy to manage the product.

What needs improvement?

The solution doesn't scale.

Their pricing could be more flexible. For example, in some cases, Lenovo offers more flexible pricing in some areas. We've had issues where we weren't able to close a contract based on the inflexibility of Dell and the client went to Lenovo instead.

I've been using the solution for the last two or three years.

It's stable and reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

It is not a scalable solution.

We have three clients. Out of these clients, we have around 15 nodes of three clusters.

Dell tech support has been good. They have some problems with the smaller rollouts, such as laptops and other personal devices. However, at an enterprise level, they have been fine.

I'm also aware of HP SimpliVity which is cheaper than a Dell vSAN. Dell is also a bit costlier than Lenovo, which I also work with.

It's very easy to install the product. It's not complete or difficult.

How long it takes to deploy depends upon the number of nodes you are using for vSAN. If we deployed a vSAN for seven nodes in a single cluster with just the basic configuration of the vSAN, without any guest operating system deployment, it can be done in one day. That's possible if you don't have any challenges on the network side as vSAN is more dependent on the network than any other area. Typically it takes one to two days at a maximum.

The pricing is okay, however, HP has a cheaper option. There is competition between the Dell vSAN and HPE SimpliVity. Dell is a bit more high-end.

What other advice do I have?

I'd recommend the solution to others.

I'd rate the product ten out of ten. I've very satisfied with its capabilities.

We are selling the product and we are happy with it. Dell is cheaper than other options in many ways. Some other brands, such as HP have OEMs that do not allow users to go with Dell due to their OEM, however, in most cases, we'd suggest users go with Dell.

Availability Manager at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
    Stable, scalable, but deployment could be simplified
    • "Dell EMC vSAN Ready Nodes is scalable"
    • "The deployment is done by doing it one by one and could be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

Dell EMC vSAN Ready Nodes is used for managing hyper-converged infrastructure.

I have used Dell EMC vSAN Ready Nodes within the last 12 months.

The solution is stable.

Dell EMC vSAN Ready Nodes is scalable

When comparing Dell VxRail and Dell EMC vSAN Ready Nodes, I have found that when managing and expanding Dell VxRail is much better. The monitoring is already prepared by the VxRail manager. There are features that are available in the VxRail manager that is not available in the Dell EMC vSAN Ready Nodes.

The deployment is done by doing it one by one and could be simplified.

I had some issues related to the Dell EMC vSAN Ready Nodes, and it was much more than I had with the VxRail. However, the increased issues could have been because there is a private cloud was built on that. Most of the issues were related to the private cloud, not related to the Dell EMC vSAN Ready Nodes itself. The support was very good.

The price of the solution was reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

Dell EMC vSAN Ready Nodes is hardware and VMware software combined. What I think is going to be added in the future is more VMware enhancement. VMware will be able to build software or to add to the VxRail, all the possibilities of the VxRail. VxRail will not be improved in a way, or rather in a different way. Dell EMC vSAN Ready Nodes will be similar to VxRail.

Anyone who has knowledge about VMware, can implement it and know their way around it. Whenever you need any support related to the Ready Nodes, you have to go back to VMware. Dell EMC vSAN Ready Nodes software is based on VMware, totally based on VMware. Nothing from Dell EMC has been added to the Ready Nodes besides some tuning for the software to be implemented to the Dell hardware. When we want to compare Dell EMC vSAN Ready Nodes to VxRail, VxRail many features have been added from Dell EMC.

I would recommend Dell VxRail much more than Dell EMC vSAN Ready Nodes.

I rate Dell EMC vSAN Ready Nodes a seven out of ten.

BobWhitcombe - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technical Solutions Architect at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
    MSP
    Moving to integrate with a hybrid cloud, but they need a better price structure
    • "They are heading in the right direction and moving to integrate everything with a hybrid cloud, and moving workloads back and forth."
    • "Scalability is an area that could be improved. We are looking at a maximum of 32 nodes now in a cluster, but going to 64 or 128 would be a major advantage."

What is our primary use case?

I am a data center solutions architect that specifies the solution and then implements it for our customers.

90% of the time, it is deployed on their local data center and their objective is to go to the cloud. This is what they will do once their applications are brought up to speed.

What needs improvement?

They have to be more compatible.

When you are looking at Nutanix versus vSan with VMware, the operating system licenses are often difficult for those people in the mid-tier organizations that do not have access to ELAs.

They are heading in the right direction and moving to integrate everything with a hybrid cloud, and moving workloads back and forth.

Also, the scalability could be better.

I have been working with this solution for five years.

There is a problem, which is the lack of an integrated price structure.

The issue comes down to affordability relative to alternatives and how they integrate with Azure, AWS, Google, as an example.

What other advice do I have?

One of the interesting things that are coming to the floor is augmented reality, but I haven't seen any related discussions. It's obvious that they are waiting for devices.

Most people don't seem to understand that in order for augmented reality to become a viable entity for specific verticals, such as healthcare, manufacturing, or retail, you have to have a common database for all operational requirements. Then, you have to create extensions.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Chief General Manager at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
    Excellent support, with a good set of management and administration tools
    • "The most valuable feature is the set of user tools that are available."
    • "Compatibility with other hardware nodes needs to be improved."

How has it helped my organization?

Using this product has reduced our management and administration requirements.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the set of user tools that are available.

The support that I get from them is good.

Integration is good, and we haven't had any issues.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup is slightly complex and could be improved.

Compatibility with other hardware nodes needs to be improved. I want to be able to mix and match the hardware nodes if I am elsewhere and continue using hyper-converged.

I have been working with Dell EMC vSAN Ready Nodes for the past three years.

This product is pretty stable.

In our case, it scaled according to our requirements.

Technical support from Dell is excellent.

We also deal with similar solutions from Cisco, HPE, and Lenovo.

The initial setup is slightly complex. I think that it took us a couple of days when we installed the first instance.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product I recommend. My advice to anybody who is considering it is just to go and get it.

Private Cloud
    Download our free Dell vSAN Ready Nodes Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: December 2022