Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

BMC Helix Discovery OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

BMC Helix Discovery is #4 ranked solution in top IT Asset Management tools. PeerSpot users give BMC Helix Discovery an average rating of 9.0 out of 10. BMC Helix Discovery is most commonly compared to ServiceNow: BMC Helix Discovery vs ServiceNow. BMC Helix Discovery is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 73% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.

Download the IT Asset Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is BMC Helix Discovery?

BMC Discovery, formerly ADDM, is a digital enterprise management solution that automates asset discovery and application dependency mapping to build a holistic view of all your data center assets and the relationships between them.

BMC Helix Discovery was previously known as Discovery, ADDM, Atrium Discovery & Dependency Mapping.

BMC Helix Discovery Customers

Windstream Communications, News UK, Mercator Group, Wageningen University and Research Centre (WUR)

BMC Helix Discovery Video

BMC Helix Discovery Pricing Advice

What users are saying about BMC Helix Discovery pricing:
  • "You need a license to use BMC Helix Discovery. The license is paid yearly, though I have no idea how much it costs."
  • "We are on a three-year agreement with BMC Helix Discovery to use the solution. There are not any additional fees other than the standard license."
  • "The price was fair compared to competitors. BMC is very affordable. There are optional consulting services to assist with implementation."
  • "BMC is available for a reasonable price compared to ServiceNow — it's half the price."
  • BMC Helix Discovery Reviews

Arben Klaiqi - PeerSpot reviewer
    Configuration Management Lead at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Stable with good data modelling and excellent technical support
    • "The data models are the most useful aspect of the solution."
    • "The monitoring tools could be more stable."

What is our primary use case?

The solution can be used on event management flows to automate items. It has mapping capabilities to help the organization to see what they have in terms of infrastructure. You're able to see if there's an outage or certain KPIs, and so on. It can do many useful things.

What is most valuable?

The data models are the most useful aspect of the solution.

The product has been quite stable.

There are plenty of item capabilities that make the solution excellent.

The technical support is excellent and extremely helpful, even though they know we are not continuing with their product.

The scalability is pretty good.

The deployment is very fast.

What needs improvement?

The monitoring tools could be more stable. Their TrueSight offering isn't as good as it could be.

I've worked with BMC Remedy products since 2008 and Helix Discovery since it was deployed in 2019. It's been approximately one and a half years.

September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about BMC, ServiceNow, Device42 and others in IT Asset Management. Updated: September 2022.
    633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is a giant when it comes to enterprise service management. With ServiceNow Discovery, you have to have it in every region or in every data center, with a mid-server available in order to be able to scan the devices. Right now, we have only 2 servers. Once we move to Service Now, we'll have 27 mid servers in all of the locations to be able to scan what we can scan today using Discovery.

The scalability is much better in BMC Discovery rather than Service Now as you can integrate with basically everything - including APIs and tools. While in ServiceNow, you have to build patterns to be able to do the same tasks. It's not as out-of-the-box.

We have approximately 185,000 users. Ours is a massive worldwide company.

We will not increase usage. Unfortunately, our plan is to de-install it in January.

Technical support has been great.

We use premier support, which BMC offers, and I have never met more professional people than those who work in India. They are great. Even now, when they know that we are going to de-install their product, they are helpful. They reach out to us and offer help, even inside information, like how should we do certain tasks. They offer so much help. I'm impressed with them.

While we are still working with BMC products, we are going to switch now to ServiceNow.

For BMC Discovery, it took approximately two to three hours to be able to open all the ports and firewalls and stuff like that and to install the application. The application itself took five minutes, and therefore it was not so hard.

If you compare it to ServiceNow, it's approximately the same. Mostly, it was internal processes that slowed us down. The installations themselves are very, very fast.

I have a team that backs me up. I'm working as a service asset and configuration management lead. I've got a managed services team sitting in Bangalore that helps me with the operational side.

I handled the implementation myself. I did not need the assistance of any consultants or integrators or any outside help at all.

We do need to pay a licensing fee, although I'm not sure what the exact cost is. You have a floating license, which does not cost anything. However, when it comes to fixed licenses, such as licensing for administrators and stuff like that, you have to pay.

I can say that they are far less expensive than ServiceNow, which is quite costly.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers and end-users. We don't have a business relationship with BMC.

We're using the latest versions of the solution within our organization.

We use both on-premises and cloud deployment models at this time.

I'd recommend the solution to other organizations.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten overall.

Madhurima  Singh - PeerSpot reviewer
    Lead Consultant | Service Assurance & Automation at Column Software Solutions Pvt. Ltd
    UI-friendly, stable, easy to set up, and offers good technical support
    • "I've used other discovery tools, but I found BMC Helix Discovery to be more UI-friendly, and that's the most valuable feature of the solution."
    • "What would make BMC Helix Discovery better is if it had more client-side discovery features, for example, printers and desktops. Right now, it's focused more on data center discovery, so if it had additional features focused on the client-side discovery, that would be great. In the next release of BMC Helix Discovery, I'd like more client-side discovery features such as desktop discovery, printer discovery, and other IP-based client-side discovery features. The solution can discover desktops and printers, but there's still room for improvement on the client side."

What is our primary use case?

BMC Helix Discovery is used for data center discovery. Clients also look for client-side discovery, so desktop discovery is supported, as well as printer discovery and on-premises discovery, but the solution is more focused on data center discovery, where you discover all kinds of assets, including mapping and dependencies.

What needs improvement?

I've been using BMC Helix Discovery for more than eight years.

BMC Helix Discovery is a stable solution.

BMC Helix Discovery is a scalable solution, though sometimes you need techniques for different integrations because some work out of the box while some require an integration flow but API's support makes it easy most of the integrations.

I've contacted BMC Helix Discovery support many times, whenever there's an issue in the client environment and I need help from the BMC support team. The support is good, and I would rate it nine out of ten.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial setup for BMC Helix Discovery was easy. It didn't take much time because it had a clear format, so in one day, you can prepare the discovery environment, though it would also depend on the data and the requirements.

What other advice do I have?

BMC Helix Discovery was mostly deployed on-premises, and the rest was deployed on AWS.

My company deploys BMC Helix Discovery, ServiceNow Discovery, and other tools.

I'm an integrator for BMC Helix Discovery.

I'd recommend BMC Helix Discovery to others because I've been working with it for the last eight years and my experience with it has been good. It's worth the money if you're using it just for discovery purposes.

I would rate BMC Helix Discovery nine out of ten because I'm able to implement it and discover assets with it and transfer those assets to CMDB. It's also very user-friendly and has several out-of-the-box features such as reporting and generating queries which I like. You don't need to know queries to be able to pick or generate a query. Currently, several dashboards are in process for BMC Helix Discovery, and it has installation facilities and CPIs, so my rating for it is a nine. I won't give it a ten because there's no perfect solution.

Hybrid Cloud

September 2022
    633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Configuration Manager at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Operates well, straightforward implementation, and reliable

What is our primary use case?

BMC Helix Discovery is used extensively for security, software assets, and typical CMDB usage.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of BMC Helix Discovery is it operates well. It is well known and has gained recognition for its software.

I have been using BMC Helix Discovery for approximately 10 years.

BMC Helix Discovery is a stable solution.

A couple of years ago, we started scanning the public cloud parts from the solution. It's a good setup. BMC Helix Discovery is scalable.

Everyone that has access to the CMDB can run reports for their systems, we have approximately 2500 users. We try to keep the users of the system as low as possible because it contains all our data on our infrastructure. We don't want everyone using it, but then we have reports that we can run with the authorization, and that way we can access data for the systems that we own or running.

The support from BMC Helix Discovery can improve, it takes a long time before we receive any feedback. It can take days to months sometimes.

The initial setup of BMC Helix Discovery is straightforward. The full implementation process took approximately three to four months.

We had consultants that helped us implement BMC Helix Discovery and then once they completed it they handed it over to us to operate.

We have two people that do the maintenance and support of the solution.

We have seen a return on our investment many times over. We run the software audits in 15 minutes when it previously took months because we needed to contact every responsible person and ask if they are running the software. Now we can click a report and receive all the software deployed in the company. It is huge savings

We are on a three-year agreement with BMC Helix Discovery to use the solution. There are not any additional fees other than the standard license.

I rate the price of BMC Helix Discovery a three out of five.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is if they have a business use care for this solution then I would recommend it.

I rate BMC Helix Discovery a nine out of ten.

RPA-WLA BU DIRECTOR at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Scalable and easy to setup
    • "A valuable feature concerns the ability to integrate with different solutions."
    • "It would be nice to see more updates to the solution."

What is our primary use case?

I am using the latest version, which is 20.

We use the solution to explore the infrastructure, servers and network devices, in respect of the database, services and storage devices and the topology into the devices.

What is most valuable?

A valuable feature concerns the ability to integrate with different solutions. BMC Helix Discovery can integrate with BMC Helix ITSM and ServiceNow ITSM. ServiceNow is another solution, and so BMC Helix Discovery provides the information and data about the devices. It is important to have visibility of the complete infrastructure in one's organization.

What needs improvement?

While I consider the solution to be good, it should better be able to integrate with other solutions.

The solution does not offer 100 percent availability, but 99 to 99.5 percent.

It would be nice to see more updates to the solution. Every two months it delivers new features which contain new infrastructure and configurations.

I have been using BMC Helix Discovery for a long time, eight years.

The solution can be scaled without a problem to match the growth of one's organization. This can be done easily, as the resources can be rolled to the infrastructure solution.

There are two types of support, that of the vendor and the other being full time. We are prioritized and receive the support only in English. The other support, which is global, involves the partner and is conducted in one's local language. The support can be provided with ease and customers state their preference as being in the local language.

In brief, the support is provided quickly. It varies with the priority level of the request.

The initial setup is easy.

While it varies with the number of discovered devices, implementation of the solution lasts two weeks.

It takes, perhaps, a couple of weeks to discover 200 devices. In a month, one can use the complete solution and have the benefit of its use.

The primary functionality of the solution ranks well against other solutions in its ability to discover the topology of devices, the connection into them and its relationship with different services.

What other advice do I have?

We can use the solution both on-premises and on-cloud.

I would recommend this solution to others. It provides beneficial information.

I rate BMX Helix Discovery as a nine out of ten, as it is a good solution, but it should have better integrative capabilities with others.

Project Manager & Managing Director at a non-profit with 1-10 employees
    Improved efficiencies and saved money by replacing manual methods
    • "The most valuable feature is the automated service mapping."
    • "There isn't much that could be improved. The solution is pretty thorough, very easy to implement, and very easy to operate."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case was to discover IT configuration items.

The solution can be deployed on-premise and on the cloud with Azure.

The last version we used was version 11.

How has it helped my organization?

It improved efficiencies and saved money by replacing manual methods.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the automated service mapping.

What needs improvement?

There isn't much that could be improved. The solution is pretty thorough, very easy to implement, and very easy to operate.

I used this solution for about six weeks.

It's stable. It's been on the market for a long time.

It's very scalable.

I would give their technical support a 10 out of 10.

They were very knowledgeable of their own product and also helped us when we were integrating it with a competitor's service desk. They're quick and very responsive.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

Setup for BMC was very easy. We did it in a trial, and it took approximately 48 hours to implement and get results as far as in a trial capacity.

There will be an implementation plan for either the BMC or the ServiceNow product.

We used two people for deployment – one on their side and one on our side.

At the time, it was administered by one person.

We used a vendor for deployment.

When we had it implemented, we did see ROI.

The price was fair compared to competitors. BMC is very affordable. There are optional consulting services to assist with implementation.

We compared BMC Helix Discovery with ServiceNow ITOM Visibility. ServiceNow is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 10 out of 10.

My advice is to ask the vendor to demonstrate the product, and then you will be convinced. It can integrate with BMC's own service desk and other service desks.

Hybrid Cloud

Arben Klaiqi - PeerSpot reviewer
    Configuration Management Lead at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Automates application discovery and dependency mapping
    • "BMC provides great support. As managed service support, they are gold."
    • "The CMDB could be improved. Getting data from the CMDB is the greatest challenge."

What is most valuable?

The modeling, service mapping. The start anywhere application mapping approach is actually a really good solution for those who use map services.

What needs improvement?

Also, integration with the system, the platform itself, can be difficult. For best results, you need to integrate with internal vendors.

I have been using this solution for roughly six years.

BMC provides great support. As managed service support, they are gold. It's not the product itself, it's the managed service. They make this product; they can do whatever you want. They can build everything — it's perfect.

BMC is available for a reasonable price compared to ServiceNow — it's half the price.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine.

Download our free IT Asset Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about BMC, ServiceNow, Device42, and more!
    Updated: September 2022