Azure DNS OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Azure DNS is the #4 ranked solution in top Managed DNS tools. PeerSpot users give Azure DNS an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. Azure DNS is most commonly compared to Amazon Route 53: Azure DNS vs Amazon Route 53. Azure DNS is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 61% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 22% of all views.

Download the Managed DNS Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Azure DNS?

Azure DNS is a hosting service for DNS domains, providing name resolution using Microsoft Azure infrastructure. By hosting your domains in Azure, you can manage your DNS records using the same credentials, APIs, tools, and billing as your other Azure services.

Azure DNS Customers

M-Files

Azure DNS Video

Azure DNS Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Azure DNS pricing:
  • "The solution itself is free but you need to pay for the Microsoft Azure infrastructure and host your domains in Azure to use it."
  • "The solution payment model is based on how many users use it. This is not an expensive solution, but it can depend on how long we use it. However, if the price was decreased it would be helpful."
  • "We have an enterprise license agreement with Microsoft. Their pricing is competitive. I would rate it a three and a half out of five."
  • Azure DNS Reviews

Director - Cloud Security at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    A reliable DNS service, easy to deploy, with no maintenance
    • "The initial setup is straightforward and not that complex."
    • "The technical support can be more knowledgeable."

What is our primary use case?

There are two types of DNS. One is DNS which is provided by Azure itself. For example, if you have a testing environment, then you can use that. But if you have a hybrid environment where you link your on-premise with Azure Cloud using a VPN or an express route, then it is better you use the DNS. Not the DNS which is provided by Azure. It is called private DNS. So, you need to use the private DNS so that you can have entries for your on-premise systems as well. We call the named resolution works from on-premise as well. So in a nutshell, there are two DNS which is partly Azure. One is the normal DNS or public DNS service, which is partly Azure. And the second one is the private DNS service which clients can install and they can make use of it.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is definitely the private one because the public one is generic and you cannot do much modification whereas the private one, allows you to make your own entries.

What needs improvement?

The technical support can be more knowledgeable.

I have been using the solution for four years.

November 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Amazon, Cloudflare and others in Managed DNS. Updated: November 2022.
    653,757 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is very stable. We have not had any stability issues.

The solution is scalable. At the backend, Microsoft will have resiliency built into it. So, you don't have to worry about anything. You just deploy the Software as a Service. Then at the backend, Microsoft will take care of everything.

The technical support is the normal Microsoft tech support. If you have premium support with Microsoft, you can just create a ticket with them and it follows the normal Azure support hierarchy or procedure.

The initial setup is straightforward and not that complex. The software takes probably five to ten minutes to deploy but it is not about deployment, it's about the configuration. You need to configure it according to your environment.

The implementation was completed in-house.

What other advice do I have?

I give the solution a nine out of ten.

I have worked with probably five, or six clients in the last two to three years in consulting. Almost every one of them is using Azure DNS.

I would say make use of Azure DNS. It is a very good solution. Rather than you try to build your own DNS. There are several ways you can build your own DNS. You can put your domain controller in Azure and install DNS on the domain controller because it is domain-integrated, Active Directory-integrated DNS. But that's not required now because there is DNS as a solution. So, you just deploy that service and you're up and running. Instead of putting your own servers in the cloud and trying to replicate your on-premise DNS, just make yourself a built-in DNS service.

Private Cloud

Microsoft Azure
    Senior Cloud Network Specialist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    MSP
    It doesn't have any issues and it integrates quickly with other products
    • "What I like about Azure DNS is that it doesn't have any issues and integrates quickly with other products. It has good integration, which is incredible. I also like that whenever you deploy private links and endpoints, Azure DNS gives you the option to select the Azure native DNS, private DNS, or go with the Azure custom DNS. It depends, but if you don't have any dependencies on the DNS, then, like many customers, you won't have DNS issues. Azure DNS is a very good solution that helps you with domains and other resources."
    • "What needs improvement in Azure DNS is visibility in terms of troubleshooting. It's similar to the area for improvement in Azure Network Watcher, where I can see how the source is going out if I'm troubleshooting a source destination. I can also see the destination. As for seeing how the packet travels, that's what should be improved. It's still lacking in visibility. Suppose I'm looking into backend machines, and if I'm hitting another NPM machine or any machine on the other side, there should be visibility. The tool should tell you that a specific machine is passing through a VPN gateway or route table, routing to a third-party firewall, and then dropping. Azure DNS should show an accurate answer to help the customers, which is its area for improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We have Azure private endpoints and mostly rely on Azure DNS for those private links. We use Azure DNS by default. Some customers like to have their DNS, so we need a DNS portal around Azure, then a traditional portal around a data center.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

What needs improvement in Azure DNS is visibility in terms of troubleshooting. It's similar to the area for improvement in Azure Network Watcher, where I can see how the source is going out if I'm troubleshooting a source destination. I can also see the destination. As for seeing how the packet travels, that's what should be improved. It's still lacking in visibility.

Suppose I'm looking into backend machines, and if I'm hitting another NPM machine or any machine on the other side, there should be visibility. The tool should tell you that a specific machine is passing through a VPN gateway or route table, routing to a third-party firewall, and then dropping. Azure DNS should show an accurate answer to help the customers, which is its area for improvement.

I only dealt with Azure DNS a little.

I've never installed Azure DNS because it's there by default.

I have no information on Azure DNS pricing.

What other advice do I have?

My rating for Azure DNS is ten out of ten.

November 2022
    653,757 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Systems and Virtualization Engineer at Altelios Technology Group
    Secure, reliable, and easy deployment
    • "The most valuable feature of Azure DNS is it works automatically after configuration. Additionally, the solution is secure."
    • "Azure DNS could improve by having more updates."

What is our primary use case?

Azure DNS is used to reserve name servers. It's typically a service used by the most technical people in our company. It's a mandatory service to use.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Azure DNS is it works automatically after configuration. Additionally, the solution is secure.

What needs improvement?

Azure DNS could improve by having more updates.

I have been using Azure DNS for approximately three months.

Azure DNS is stable.

The scalability of Azure DNS is good, you can add other name servers to it.

Everyone is using this solution in the company. The user does not use it directly, it's a transparent service.

I have not used the support from Azure DNS because the solution works perfectly.

I have not used other solutions prior to Azure DNS.

The initial setup of Azure DNS is easy. We only need to deploy the service in Microsoft Azure, configure it, and that is it. The full deployment can be done in three to four hours.

We did the implementation of the solution in-house.

The solution payment model is based on how many users use it. This is not an expensive solution, but it can depend on how long we use it. However, if the price was decreased it would be helpful.

What other advice do I have?

We have one system engineer that can do the maintenance of this solution.

I would recommend this solution to others. There is no choice but to use this solution, all companies must use the service because it's a service used by the system.

I rate Azure DNS a nine out of ten.

Principal at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    DNS domain hosting solution used to manage private endpoints and related data in a stable way

What is our primary use case?

We use private endpoints and we use this solution to ensure that when data is ingested or presented, it doesn't go to any public endpoint where we cant access it.

What is most valuable?

This solution gives us the ability to stop DODS. We can set up our own V nets and sub nets.

From a security perspective, Microsoft is much better than other cloud providers.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup of this solution could be less complex and require less manual configurations.

I have been using this solution for four years.

This is a stable solution.

This is a scalable solution.

The initial setup is not that straightforward as this is not a plug and play solution. There are a lot of configurations that need to be completed. From a maintenance perspective, we do not require a big team to handle this.

We have experienced ROI using this solution. We have been able to define our architecture on Azure Cloud with Data Factory, Synapse and DNS private endpoints. This has saved costs.

Nilesh Kalal - PeerSpot reviewer
    Cloud Support Engineer at Bitscape Infotech Pvt. Ltd.
    MSP
    Is scalable and fairly easy to install
    • "The best feature is the domain register. The other great feature is that whenever you create any resources, Azure DNS will automatically create a record for you."
    • "There are some latency issues that could be improved."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

There are some latency issues that could be improved.

I've been using Azure DNS for almost one year.

If your resources in Azure are in multiple areas of the globe, you need to configure multiple DNS for multiple DNS zones in all regions so that you get higher availability. In case one breaks down, the other one is there for backup.

It is scalable depending on the scenario. We have about 500 users in our company.

We chose Azure DNS because we wanted to use it before we proposed it to our customers. We wanted to be aware of the performance and latencies.

The initial setup of Azure DNS is not too easy nor too difficult. On a scale from one to five with one being hard and five being easy, I would rate the initial setup at 3.5.

If you're ready with all your automation scripts, the deployment should take about 15 minutes.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate Azure DNS at eight because of the latency issues. Google DNS is a regional-based service, and you get better performance.

Madhukar N - PeerSpot reviewer
    Sr. Azure DevOps Cloud Engineer at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
    Helps us migrate services from on-premises to cloud, but the process of creating a virtual mission could be improved

What is our primary use case?

We are working at a DSK and use Azure DevOps as we work in Azure DevOps infrastructure engineering. So we use various Azure services. We have migrated Azure services from on-premises to Azure Cloud and multiple services like microservices or application improvements or applications replacing Azure administrators.

What needs improvement?

The process of creating a virtual mission could be improved.

We have been using this solution for the past four years. It is deployed on-premises.

It is a stable solution.

It is a scalable solution. 10 to 15 people are using this solution.

The setup was not difficult.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a seven out of ten because it is a hosting service. However, I would recommend this solution to others.

Download our free Managed DNS Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Amazon, Cloudflare, and more!
    Updated: November 2022