We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

AWS Firewall Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

AWS Firewall Manager is #7 ranked solution in top Firewall Security Management tools. PeerSpot users give AWS Firewall Manager an average rating of 8 out of 10. AWS Firewall Manager is most commonly compared to Palo Alto Networks Panorama: AWS Firewall Manager vs Palo Alto Networks Panorama. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 18% of all views.
What is AWS Firewall Manager?

AWS Firewall Manager is a security management service which allows you to centrally configure and manage firewall rules across your accounts and applications in AWS Organization. As new applications are created, Firewall Manager makes it easy to bring new applications and resources into compliance by enforcing a common set of security rules. Now you have a single service to build firewall rules, create security policies, and enforce them in a consistent, hierarchical manner across your entire infrastructure.

Using AWS Firewall Manager, you can easily roll out AWS WAF rules for your Application Load Balancers, API Gateways, and Amazon CloudFront distributions. Similarly, you can create AWS Shield Advanced protections for your Application Load Balancers, ELB Classic Load Balancers, Elastic IP Addresses and CloudFront distributions. Finally, with AWS Firewall Manager, you can enable security groups for your Amazon EC2 and ENI resource types in Amazon VPCs.

Download the Firewall Security Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

AWS Firewall Manager Customers
Expedia, Intuit, Royal Dutch Shell, Brooks Brothers
AWS Firewall Manager Video

AWS Firewall Manager Pricing Advice

What users are saying about AWS Firewall Manager pricing:
  • "The licensing is on a pay-as-you-go basis and we are billed monthly."
  • "The AWS Firewall Manager is a little on the costly side."
  • AWS Firewall Manager Reviews

Technical Architect at a venture capital & private equity firm with 11-50 employees
    Easy to set up and use, provides real-time logs, and is almost maintenance-free
    • "Once this solution is set up, we hardly have to touch it."
    • "This solution is suitable for a small-scale enterprise and may not scale up to a very high volume of traffic or a large number of servers."

What is our primary use case?

I manage the AWS Cloud infrastructure for my organization and I use the Amazon firewall.

We have developed a couple of portals related to the HR industry, in particular the recruitment. As part of it, we have used all of the services required to deploy a typical job portal, starting from route managers. We have DNS servers, web servers, app servers, database servers, and S3 buckets. We also perform API calls from the file services.

I have managed different instances of the firewall and this solution is another layer that helps me with centralized management. We do not concern ourselves with analysis and the determination of root cause when problems occur.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution helps us better manage our firewalls and we were able to set up rules to block unwanted requests. This reduces the amount of traffic within our infrastructure.

We used to get traffic from unwanted locations, such as from countries where we do not have any users. This is now gone and we can monitor the status in real-time.

What is most valuable?

Once this solution is set up, we hardly have to touch it. We look at it to review the rules, perhaps on a yearly basis.

For a small-scale enterprise, AWS Firewall Manager is quite easy and sufficient.

Real-time logs are available.

The interface is simple to use.

What needs improvement?

My experience has been with small-scale infrastructure and it works very well.

I have been using the AWS Firewall Manager for three or four years, but not on a regular basis.

Overall, this is a stable solution. We only look at it intermittently but so far, the performance has been satisfactory.

Our user volume has not been high enough to the point where we needed to scale to the next level. We only manage two or three servers and it has been sufficient. We have not had an issue such as a new server that we immediately needed to back up. I expect that our current setup will work for at least the next two or three years.

I have not contacted technical support in relation to this product because the vendor assisted me. AWS support is quite responsive and gives proper guidance to help get things set up. I would say that they are pretty helpful, and the response time was within a couple of hours. This is good because we do not have paid support.

The community support is good. A lot of people have written articles about the rules and default settings, making it easy to learn and set up for the first time.

I have not used other firewall managers in the past. I have worked with other firewall instances but not with a solution to centrally manage them.

I was not part of the initial setup. The deployment took approximately one and a half months for all of our services. This was not just the Firewall Manager or the firewalls themselves, but everything including the servers and domains.

It was mostly complete after three weeks but there was some confusion that slowed it down. For the most part, however, it went really quickly.

We have an in-house technical team for deployment and maintenance but initially, we outsourced this to a third-party because it was new for us. Once they set up everything, I started learning about it, and gradually, we took over all of the services.

These days, I maintain it on my own.

The licensing is on a pay-as-you-go basis and we are billed monthly. I think that the pricing is okay, given that we are saving on bandwidth and also protecting our servers against threats.

Support contracts are in addition to the standard licensing fees.

As we were already using AWS services, we did not look for another management solution. I am aware of some open-source products but it made sense to implement this one directly.

What other advice do I have?

Currently, the AWS Firewall Manager is sufficient for our needs because we don't use any software that will generate massive loads of traffic.

My advice for anybody who is considering the AWS Firewall Manager is that it is pretty simple to set up and easy to use. I rarely have to look at it.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Presales at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Intuitive, easy to set up and use
    • "The interface is intuitive and it is easy for the users."
    • "The system should be more customizable."

What is our primary use case?

We are currently developing a UI and a set of tools for users to be able to easily configure their AWS firewall. The AWS Firewall Manager is one of the solutions that were are working with for this.

For industries such as banking and finance, there are regulatory requirements and compliance policies that companies have to pass. For example, if it is an application that requires the transfer of money then specific compliance would be in place. The AWS Firewall Manager makes it easy to configure and select the type of security required for the industry.

What is most valuable?

The interface is intuitive and it is easy for the users.

What needs improvement?

In AWS, there are so many features that many users get confused about what to use and what not to use. For example, AWS Firewall Manager has perhaps 100 features but only a maximum of 15 to 20 would be generally used. I would say that 80% of the features confuse the users, which makes the system more complicated than it needs to be.

The price of this solution could be reduced.

The system should be more customizable.

The AWS Cloud automatically takes care of scalability. It is a managed service and it is not hard to scale.

Although we have been in contact with technical support, I have not personally been involved in the interaction.

In AWS, I have used multiple firewalls and they are all quite easy to use.

As a service from AWS, it is easy to set up and use.

Being an AWS Cloud partner, we have a good number of consultants in our company who are familiar with implementation, deployment, and maintenance.

The AWS Firewall Manager is a little on the costly side.

All of the cloud providers are coming up with their own service but the main challenge for these types of products is open-source solutions. These are installed on one particular cloud, only. For example, if we're talking about AWS then the main challenge would not be from Azure, but rather, from open-source firewalls that people install.

While this solution is easy to use, it is a little bit on the costly side. This means that people will look to open-source solutions in the future.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this solution is to do a cost-benefit analysis of using AWS Firewalls versus using an open-source solution.

That said, I do recommend that people use this product. Obviously, it depends on the requirements so I can not simply recommend it to somebody without knowing a little bit more about their environment, but in some cases, I would recommend it immediately.

From a technical perspective, it is a good product. From a customizability perspective, there is room for improvement.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Palo Alto Networks, Fortinet and others in Firewall Security Management. Updated: January 2022.
    564,322 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Principal Security Architect at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    Has good centrally managed rules and good central orchestration
    • "The most valuable feature is the centrally managed rule. I also like the central orchestration."
    • "Enabling and configuring the logging is not that straightforward."

What is our primary use case?

We use the publication firewalls to manage all these rules and the group view. It's for all the GDPR rules for the publication firewalls rules. In every department each day we discuss the GDPR calls, or we'll have acquired rules. Some of the rules can be copies of the all the existing rules plus a few nuances that each has.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the centrally managed rule. I also like the central orchestration.

What needs improvement?

The logging needs improvement. The Firewall Manager logs are fine but when it comes to the actual logs for the firewall, that's where there is a problem. Enabling and configuring the logging is not that straightforward.

I have been using AWS Firewall Manager for two years.

It's stable.

We never had any issues that we needed to contact technical support. We never had to open any tickets for Firewall Manager. For other solutions that we have used Fortinet support for they do their bit, then they give us documentation, and they'll give us the support we require.

The initial setup was straightforward. The time it takes to deploy depends. I do all the manual deployments. The rules for the group vary. Most things are manual, we do not use any templates or anything. Simple rules require two to three weeks. I think that's pretty normal with any new solution. After the rules and groups are set, then it's easy to replicate.

What other advice do I have?

I would say if you have three or four deployments in your environment, then use Firewall Manager. If you have one and want your deployments to grow further in numbers I would always advise to go for Firewall Manager. When we do a neck to neck comparison it's all different.

My recommendation to go with Firewall Manager depends. I feel that when it comes to firewall protection, I would always prefer AWS. If you're looking for full-fledged network firewall capabilities, obviously go for AWS Firewall.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.