IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

AWS Database Migration Service OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

AWS Database Migration Service is #8 ranked solution in top Cloud Data Integration tools. PeerSpot users give AWS Database Migration Service an average rating of 8 out of 10. AWS Database Migration Service is most commonly compared to AWS Glue: AWS Database Migration Service vs AWS Glue. AWS Database Migration Service is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 77% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.

Download the Cloud Data Integration Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is AWS Database Migration Service?

AWS Database Migration Service helps you migrate databases to AWS quickly and securely. The source database remains fully operational during the migration, minimizing downtime to applications that rely on the database. The AWS Database Migration Service can migrate your data to and from most widely used commercial and open-source databases.

AWS Database Migration Service was previously known as AWS Data Migration Service.

AWS Database Migration Service Customers

Veoci, Trimble, Nasdaq, shaadi.com, Hotelbeds, SysAid, Verizon, Expedia, Pega

AWS Database Migration Service Video

AWS Database Migration Service Pricing Advice

What users are saying about AWS Database Migration Service pricing:
  • "Pricing can be improved."
  • "Pricing for the solution is reasonable, but could still be reduced."
  • AWS Database Migration Service Reviews

Digital Services & Engagement Senior Manager at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
    Stable service but requires additional applications for full functionality
    • "The process is now simplified because there won't be maintenance. Usually we can take a snapshot of the number I need. We can automate the backup snapshots and we can restore it very quickly. We get many benefits from the application."
    • "Migrating from here and pushing the data from on-premise to AWS cloud is a big challenge and a few more services from AWS would be helpful. For example, we are currently using ILDB internet tools which move data from on-premise to the AWS cloud. A few more services would be really helpful for me to move the master data."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is that I can easily automate. I don't want many resources working on setting up a new IDE and creating an application and so on. We can make use of the existing applications in the cloud and I can do a workflow management very easily.

What is most valuable?

In selected or traditional databases on-premise, the backup and maintenance are very difficult. If you are maintaining a complete platform, like a Linux platform, you will need to apply some regular DB patches, so things are very difficult here. But in AWS RDS, there are many databases available for which the maintenance will be taken care of by the AWS team and different scalable databases also available. For example, currently we are using other database subscriptions which are very useful for my applications. Earlier we had Oracle Streams but we migrated to Aurora. The process is now simplified because there won't be maintenance. Usually we can take a snapshot of the number I need. We can automate the backup snapshots and we can restore it very quickly. We get many benefits from the application. For example, day to day, there are developers trying to run SQL scripts which will cause problems in the database. So instead of troubleshooting, I can simply roll back to the existing set so that they can work easily. The support that I get for my project and the deadline to release one new feature will usually take three to four months on on-premise. Now, since I have migrated to AWS, I can finish it in one or two months.

What needs improvement?

There is something where AWS Database Migration can be improved. Many of the application teams don't want to invest on a migration. They don't want to use the Database Migration service. They want us to export to the dump point, database backup, and then put it into the RDS. There is not a cast and mold on it except in the database and that's it. So migrating from here and pushing the data from on-premise to AWS cloud is a big challenge, and a few more services from AWS would be helpful. For example, currently we are using ILDB internet tools which move data from on-premise to AWS cloud. I need a few more services which would be really helpful for me to move the master data.

I have been using AWS Database Migration Service for almost four years to move applications from on-premise to AWS cloud.
    June 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Oracle, HVR Software and others in Cloud Data Integration. Updated: June 2022.
    610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is stable in terms of the data.

It is scalable. Nothing that we execute needs to be touched in the database. They simply do the code only. So whatever changes we do in the database will be tracked.

If you raise an AWS support issue you will get an immediate response from them so I can resolve my issue as early as possible. That is a good thing. That is why I am likely to take the support from AWS and enable the service very quickly. They have good experts who are available. That has been my experience.  Let's take an example from IBM technical support. I raised a case related to the IBM One Sheet. I'm following up now for one week and they are not responding properly.

What other advice do I have?

I have not explored other solutions like GCP or Azure, but I have used the AWS side. On a scale of one to ten, I would give AWS Database Migration a seven.  This score is because of a few difficulties I faced when setting it up. Because I worked on different applications on a couple of projects, I cannot completely make use of the AWS database. Maybe that is a developer mistake or something. That's the reason I am rating it a seven for now.

Hybrid Cloud
    Alvaro Quiroga Toledo - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Solutions Architect at DBSolution
    A database migration service that's highly user-friendly, but needs more migration tools
    • "The tools are very user-friendly."
    • "I think that Amazon needs to improve the migration scenarios after analytics"

What is our primary use case?

I use AWS Database Migration Service to migrate Oracle databases and PostgreSQL databases. I work with both databases and work with different migration scenarios.

What is most valuable?

The tools are very user-friendly. You can have instances or replications instances from the databases with two or more clicks. The console is also very user-friendly, and it's very easy to create new instances for migration purposes.

What needs improvement?

I think that Amazon needs to improve the migration scenarios after analytics. We need more migration tools or more specific tools for migration and licenses. It's a very complicated scenario because, in some cases, we need specific licenses to create new instances, and some instances are very expensive. That's a very manual scenario.

I have been using AWS Database Migration Service for about one and a half years.

AWS Database Migration Service is a stable solution. It's good for me.

I'm very impressed with its scalability.

AWS has very good support for this, and that's why my customers choose AWS for deploying their resources in the cloud.

In the beginning, the initial setup was very hard, but then it became very easy. The information that the customer gives us isn't complete, and this is the most complex part of the process. Then we use some tools because we need to consider the indexes, tables, and other things in our databases.

Pricing can be improved. In some cases, the price of the instances are very expensive.

Our clients evaluated other options like Google Cloud, Oracle Cloud, and Huawei Cloud. I think AWS Database Migration Services is a very robust solution compared to other cloud providers.

What other advice do I have?

AWS is the leading provider of cloud services. It has extensive experience in this kind of scenario. The other cloud providers need to improve their tools and their licensing procedures. In this case, the licensing procedures are very complex for migration scenarios.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give AWS Database Migration Service a seven.

June 2022
    610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Director at Fujitsu
    MSP
    Makes migration easy with responsive support services and good reliability
    • "The solution is stable and reliable."
    • "This solution is compatible with only AWS."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to migrate databases.

We have an Oracle database on-premise, and then we have a plan to install the new system with a database for another application service. Therefore, we need to duplicate, to copy, our Oracle database to the Postgres database on AWS.

What is most valuable?

The solution makes it very simple to migrate the database.

The solution's price is cheaper than Oracle GoldenGate or other solutions.

We can get a lot of support services from AWS via the MSP.

The solution is stable and reliable.

It's scalable.

What needs improvement?

This solution is compatible with only AWS. I cannot use this solution with AWS and other cloud services like Azure or Google Cloud.

We've been using the solution for one month.

The solution is stable. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. The performance is good.

We have five customers that use the AWS Service. I don't know how many exactly use it. We have just five AWS customers in our company.

I can expand the hardware specification from one virtual machine to three or four. I can expand the hardware cloud resource without rebooting or stopping the service. This solution is scalable.

The support on offer is pretty great.

We have only one way to get support from AWS. We need access to our support partner. We need the budget to get technical support from AWS as we need a contract with an AWS MSP partner.

Our engineer did recommend this solution first for migrating the database. We copy our Oracle database to AWS first. And then, we move our Oracle database and Postgres on AWS. I have experience with Oracle GoldenGate.

This solution is a PaaS solution. We do not need to handle an installation for this solution, as it's already installed on AWS.

What other advice do I have?

We are a user of the product.

I recommend the solution. I'm pretty happy with the capabilities.

I'd rate the solution a nine out of ten.

Jayaraj Vemula - PeerSpot reviewer
    Data platform architect at S&P Global Market Intelligence
    Database migration solution with full load and continuous data replication features, but the technical support was bad
    • "Scalable and stable solution for migrating databases to AWS, with valuable features such as parallel full load and continuous data replication."
    • "More endpoints need to be supported by AWS Database Migration Service. There's also a need for more control and transparency on the product, including better technical support."

What is most valuable?

What I find most valuable in AWS Database Migration Service are these features: the full load and continuous data replication to heterogeneous endpoints.

What needs improvement?

There's a lot of room for improvement in AWS Database Migration Service, e.g. more endpoints to be supported, more control and transparency on the product and on how we get things done, and better operational support.

I've been working with AWS Database Migration Service for two years.

The solution is stable, but we have migrated a lot of those data sets to Qlik Attunity. I also worked for Qlik Attunity for consulting and database DMS.

AWS Database Migration Service is scalable, but Qlik Attunity is more scalable.

The technical support for AWS Database Migration Service is bad. They are still figuring out how to support their product. I've reached out to some AWS resources, but they don't understand the support.

The initial setup for the solution was moderate. It had some learning curve, but it was moderate. It was okay, and it was not difficult to learn.

How reasonable the pricing for AWS Database Migration Service would be, depends on where we are getting this data migrated from. Pricing for the solution is reasonable, but it could still be reduced.

I evaluated Qlik Attunity.

What other advice do I have?

I use a lot of Qlik Attunity and AWS Database Migration Service.

I'm more of a consultant/engineer, so I use Database Migration Services to move data across different instances from on-premises to AWS, etc.

My advice to people who want to implement the solution is that there are alternate products. AWS Database Migration Service is still a good start, but an alternate product such as Qlik Attunity does a very good job, e.g. Attunity gives you more control.

I'm giving AWS Database Migration Service a six out of ten rating.

Net Full-Stack developer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Works well with large databases, but could use more integration with other tools
    • "It's pretty useful when we need to migrate something big from a different type of database that AWS Data Migration Services supports."
    • "Database Migration Service could be more integrated. I think that it makes sense to add integration to these functions. For example, AWS Glue has a feature called Orchestrator to create data flows, and that's more straightforward."

What is our primary use case?

We don't use Data Migration Services regularly. We only use it when we need to migrate a relatively large database from on-premises to the cloud. From my point of view, it was the best option in this case.

How has it helped my organization?

It provided the ability to create more, less optimized data warehouses. And simplify support and working with data.

What is most valuable?

It's pretty useful when we need to migrate something big from a different type of database that AWS Data Migration Services supports. But it's more convenient to use Glue if we're dealing with a regular data load, like migrating a table.

What needs improvement?

Database Migration Service could be more integrated. I think that it makes sense to add integration to these functions. For example, AWS Glue has a feature called Orchestrator to create data flows, and that's more straightforward. But it's not easy to do the same things with Database Migration Service.

Database Migration Service is stable.

I would say Database Migration Service is not expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I rate AWS Database Migration Service six out of 10. However, if you are considering it, you should get a good idea of what you need. It's useful for some jobs, but you need to know how to use this better.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Download our free Cloud Data Integration Report and find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Oracle, HVR Software, and more!
    Updated: June 2022