IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

ARIS Architect and Designer OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

ARIS Architect and Designer is #19 ranked solution in Business Process Design tools. PeerSpot users give ARIS Architect and Designer an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. ARIS Architect and Designer is most commonly compared to ARIS Cloud: ARIS Architect and Designer vs ARIS Cloud. ARIS Architect and Designer is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 69% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 18% of all views.
ARIS Architect and Designer Buyer's Guide

Download the ARIS Architect and Designer Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2022

What is ARIS Architect and Designer?

SIMPLIFY PROCESS DESIGN
Create, analyze, manage and administer your whole enterprise model, from strategy of business processes to information architecture, application landscapes and services.

With ARIS Architect & Designer, you can:

Improve and understand processes easily via a modern, friendly UI that features tabs and pictogram-style objects

Speed up modeling with mini toolbar, fragments and powerful search capabilities

Choose feature set based on role so that one installation works for everyone—process modelers, process owners, business analysts and strategists, and ARIS enterprise and information architecture experts.

Assure consistency and re-usability of models and data through our central repository

ARIS Architect and Designer was previously known as ARIS Architect & Designer, ARIS Architect, ARIS Designer.

ARIS Architect and Designer Customers

Cargolux Airlines International, Philips

ARIS Architect and Designer Video

ARIS Architect and Designer Pricing Advice

What users are saying about ARIS Architect and Designer pricing:
  • "Many customers find the licensing configuration confusing. There are many different sub-details in the licensing, making it very difficult for us to understand what we are buying and what we are using with what."
  • "The licenses are very costly. I've seen many people who are hesitant or not able to use ARIS Suite just because of the license cost. Even though they like all the functionalities and understand the value of everything ARIS provides, they aren't able to implement it."
  • ARIS Architect and Designer Reviews

Head of Enterprise Architecture and Process Management at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    It shows us how changes will affect all of the organization's processes
    • "The most important feature is ARIS's ability to turn a process design into data to analyze anything you want. For example, we have some analysis reports in ARIS that can guide us when we want to change a system. It shows us how this change will affect all of the organization's processes."
    • "The simulation part still has some way to go. It's a good feature, and it's something that other vendors don't have right now, but it can still be improved. Some features are needed in ARIS Architect, so advanced users can do things through drag-and-drop functionality."

What is our primary use case?

We use ARIS to design and publish all our company processes and produce detailed job descriptions of all employees. The content in ARIS is highly detailed, including our modeling processes. Everybody can generate their job description. We create process manuals that provide a detailed description of a process.

We also get several reports from the solution. For example, there's a questionnaire about people who work together. HR needs to know who works with whom, and ARIS helps us generate a detailed report so HR can send information to individuals who are working together. These reports are based on the processes we have designed in ARIS,  and we update them yearly.

How has it helped my organization?

ARIS has helped to save time on business process analysis. It takes us half the time it used to take.In addition, it's very easy for our organization to adapt to any change. Those changes might not be a full transformation, but it's easy to adapt our processes. ARIS makes it easy to evaluate the effect of the changes and decide how to apply them to our processes. At the moment, ARIS doesn't directly affect our customers, but we are trying to design our customer experience processes in ARIS. We also plan to connect our customers to our internal processes. After that, we can also analyze the effect of a change on our customer experience through our internal processes.

It is effortless to examine cause and effect in ARIS. For example, if a department needs to split into sub-departments, we can analyze their job descriptions and see where the split should start and end. It has also made people think about and understand processes, not just their particular tasks. They can easily see their internal customers through the processes, which means they can see the effect of their tasks on those customers.

We are also integrating our process system into other systems, like our GRC, so our risk management team can match their risks to the processes inside ARIS. That will help them understand and correlate risks with processes and process flows. We have process KPIs that we measure through the system, helping people understand how to change processes to improve their KPIs. They can understand this information by looking at the system rather than documents. When you look at a text description, it's not easy to see all the connections and exceptions. It can be hard to understand the process design. With ARIS, it's straightforward to follow the process design to understand the process itself.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature is ARIS's ability to turn a process design into data to analyze anything you want. For example, we have some analysis reports in ARIS that can guide us when we want to change a system. It shows us how this change will affect all of the organization's processes. That is the most useful part for us. You can define your own meta models in the system by taking something from the out-of-the-box features and customizing it according to your needs. This is another valuable part of the solution.

It also enables you to publish content to users based on privileges so that a group of people can access content easily and generate their own reports. In terms of user-friendliness, there are three different levels. The first one is the end-user, and it's very user-friendly for them. The second is the web designer part, and that is also user-friendly. The third part is the advanced designer part called ARIS Architect. It has more features, making it a little bit more complex to use and adapt to and a little less intuitive than the other parts.

What needs improvement?

The simulation part still has some way to go. It's a good feature, and it's something that other vendors don't have right now, but it can still be improved. Some features are needed in ARIS Architect, so advanced users can do things through drag-and-drop functionality. There is still some coding needed for some of this. I'm still trying to understand the process mining capabilities, and they are improving, but they still need some work in the context of the on-premises product.

ARIS Architect and Designer
    August 2022
    Learn what your peers think about ARIS Architect and Designer. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2022.
    620,068 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We've been using ARIS Architect and Designer since 2017.

I always tell people not to use the latest version of the ARIS product. I think it still applies because the software doesn't provide any patches for the system. They just give you another version. They're saying they are changing other things with these new versions, but sometimes they change something we don't want to change. We want something to be fixed, but they give us these pieces instead. They are just providing us with new changes that we don't want.

It is not applicable for us for every version update. For example, we are still waiting for our version update because they removed the Turkish language in the latest version through the package. Maybe they released a version one or two months ago. I'm not aware of that, but we were waiting for an updated version that somebody would test and find problems with. So, this is how it goes with that.

I think it's highly scalable, but it consumes a lot of CPU resources. We have to explain to the IT department why it consumes so much resources. I think that's not a technical problem, but it would be better to have some more documentation to prove our case to IT. I would not say it allows us to start small. We started at the middle level then went up to large or extra-large.

Over the last year, their support has gotten better. But it is not easy to find someone in person through a remote connection. You need to do everything through email. It isn't easy to explain everything in emails. I understand that they need the basics, but sometimes it is much easier to connect to the system and see what's going on. Getting to that stage takes time with Software AG, but it has improved over the last year.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

I haven't used any other international BPA solutions, but I have used local ones. We also used Visio. It's hard to compare ARIS and Visio. They're not on the same level.

I was involved in the initial setup of ARIS in our organization. I was actually the consultant who sold the product to the company I am now working for. Back then, I was the consultant, and since then, I have come in to head the team. The initial setup of ARIS in this organization was straightforward but complex. The setup documentation does not cover all the features and configurations, and there were times that we needed to ask for support and wait for the answers. Our deployment took about one month, but we didn't work on it every day of the week because of the questions and waiting for the answers from support.

We deployed a test alignment first, which was separate from its database server. That means we needed to create a database for the test environment and then install the test environment. After we had done our tests, we had to do the production part.

Many customers find the licensing configuration confusing. There are many different sub-details in the licensing, making it very difficult for us to understand what we are buying and what we are using with what.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate ARIS Architect nine out of 10. The solution has gotten better in the last year. I was thinking about deducting a point because it is not easy to find someone in person through remote connections. You need to do everything via email, and it isn't easy to explain everything over email. Of course, I understand they need the basics, but sometimes it isn't too easy to connect to the system and see what's going on.

Regarding the visibility and control that ARIS provides of processes throughout our organization, overall, I would say we have "half control." We have control of the processes but not which ones are executed. We only have control of the processes on paper. Of course, the audits go through the documented processes, but we also want to have control of the processes. When it comes to execution, we need to have different models of ARIS.

My advice to prospective ARIS users is to first decide what to do with business processes and then buy a tool like ARIS. It's a potent tool, but it is too expensive if you only want to document your processes. It wouldn't improve the case itself, but if you want to do some real analysis of the processes, I think it is one of the best tools in the market. It provides you with a full view of the processes so you can document them. You can monitor them and improve them through simulation. So, this is a full cycle. It is powerful with different modules, but first, you need to convince yourself that you need a real process analysis.

Assistant Manager at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
    Great customization options and user-friendly
    • "One of the most valuable features is how user-friendly ARIS is, compared to other BPM tools. This tool has very diverse types of assets available. ARIS also has a lot of customizable options, different model types, object types, a number of attributes, and a lot of customization is possible. In comparison, Signavio is very limited in terms of model types and object types. So these customizations ARIS offers are really valuable to any client who wants to create a BPM repository."
    • "This product could be improved by lowering the licensing cost. More organizations could use ARIS if they slashed the licensing costs even a little bit."

What is our primary use case?

We have two primary use cases for this tool. One is to document the reference models which we gather from the global subject matter experts for different functions and sectors. we collate the information and create a center of excellence, like a central repository. The other use case is to deliver to project delivery teams where the collated information from the reference models used to kickstart project

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is how user-friendly ARIS is, compared to other BPM tools. This tool has very diverse types of assets available. ARIS also has a lot of customizable options, different model types, object types, a number of attributes, and a lot of customization is possible. In comparison, Signavio is very limited in terms of model types and object types. So these customizations ARIS offers are really valuable to any client who wants to create a BPM repository.

What needs improvement?

An additional feature I would like to see is ARIS making a certain feature available to all clients. ARIS Enterprise offers a feature that provides a bridge for process mining. If this feature were available in for small clients and small enterprises who use ARIS Basic and ARIS Advanced, it would be helpful for them. If possible, I would like to see all the features of ARIS Enterprise available to ARIS Advanced or ARIS Basic.

I have been using this solution for around 10 years.

This product is stable. I work with it on a daily basis and since it's on-premises, my company manages the performance well.

If migration is involved, this product does require maintenance. We usually handle that during the weekend maintenance.

Our experience with customer support was great, I would rate it a nine out of ten.

Before working with ARIS Architect and Designer, I worked with Signavio, Mavim, and a little bit with Celonis. But my work with these products was parallel to my work with ARIS. Compared to Signavio and Mavim, ARIS is much more customizable and user-friendly. Signavio and Mavim are very restricted in terms of the number of assets that you can build.

Signavio was acquired by SAP, so they have a leading edge in terms of SAP implementation, but it doesn't cater to other technology implementations. Even though Signavio has the leading edge when it comes to SAP, ARIS has other advantages over the other solutions.

The initial setup was a complex process. If the client is going for on-premises and a single node installation, it's simple. However, if the client is large and has a lot of data to handle, then they will have to go for multi-node installation, and the provided documents and software are not sufficient or easily accessible. Comparatively, it's a bit complex. But I think they have mitigated this by providing a saas version of the product.

We implemented through a vendor team and their service was great. The time for deployment is usually a quarter cycle. One quarter would be used to deploy a new version from lower environments to production.

The licenses are very costly. I've seen many people who are hesitant or not able to use ARIS Suite just because of the license cost. Even though they like all the functionalities and understand the value of everything ARIS provides, they aren't able to implement it.

What other advice do I have?

In my company, there are around 500 people working with Architect and around 1,000 working with Designer. I recommend this product for bigger clients. If your organization is only looking for modeling or one piece of BPM, then don't go for ARIS because you have other simplified tools. But if you are looking to fully implement a BPM cycle—starting from process discovery, modeling to monitoring, simulation, mining, everything, the full BPM suite—then go for ARIS. This is what I mean when I say bigger clients. If your project is small, don't choose ARIS.

I would rate ARIS Architect and Designer an eight out of ten.

ARIS Architect and Designer
    August 2022
    620,068 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Process specialist at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    A powerful tool for modelling processes and optimizing a business
    • "It's really fast. It's much faster compared to Enterprise Architect."
    • "You can have a collaboration feature, but it's necessary to have ARIS Connect which is a separate, costly product."

What is our primary use case?

We mostly use ARIS for the documentation of processes, not for the architecture. It helps us find gaps and quickly analyze where the bottlenecks are.

Within our organization, there are roughly 10 people using ARIS. We have a license, but our employees tend to use other software that they are more familiar with.

What is most valuable?

It's really fast for process design. It's much faster compared to Enterprise Architect. Compared to Blueworks, I would say ARIS has stronger ability to manage enterprise architecture with more details.

Using the well defined architecture/ metamodel, you can create complicated structures, but it's still easily trackable. Also, you can have two kinds of reporting, either for queries or for reporting to reports — some of which are built-in, which makes it more powerful compared to Blueworks.

What needs improvement?

ARIS is quite a good tool for simplification. There is one necessary feature that's missing and it is a pity that it's not a built-in feature of the software — It's in a different product. You can have a collaboration feature, but it's necessary to have ARIS Connect which is a separate, costly product.

For example, with Blueworks, collaboration is built-in, as a feature of the software. You can take a link or hyperlink of the model and the design, send it to someone who has some decision authority and collaborate. With ARIS, this collaboration feature is not built-in. It's located in different software which is also an AG product, but it comes with an additional cost.

I have been using this solution for over 15 years.

ARIS Architect and Designer is both scalable and stable.

We don't really need technical support. As a product, it's stable. We don't often need technical support.

Personally, I would say the initial setup is quite straightforward.

We spent a few days discussing the load setup of infrastructure systems, which we needed. It's not necessary to spend that long, but as we have a different location for the infrastructure, so we had to prepare it. It's necessary to have an infrastructure discussion.

I believe the installation itself took one day, including the installation of ARIS Server, ARIS Architect, and also ARIS Publisher. That's why it took one day — but it was one easy day. The database upload can take two or three hours.

We were supported by a local vendor who has a strong understanding of the installation itself.

For deployment of the product itself, because we are a big company, we needed one infrastructure expert who built the server, then another person who managed it. For smaller companies, this can be done by one person.

I just had to ask the IT department to prepare a server, and they got everything ready for deployment. Afterward, I called the vendor who then came and deployed the product.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend ARIS.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give ARIS a rating of eight. If they added a collaboration feature, I would give it a ten.