IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

ARIS Cloud OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

ARIS Cloud is #15 ranked solution in Business Process Design tools and BPM Software. PeerSpot users give ARIS Cloud an average rating of 9.0 out of 10. ARIS Cloud is most commonly compared to ARIS Architect and Designer: ARIS Cloud vs ARIS Architect and Designer. ARIS Cloud is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 71% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.

Download the Business Process Design Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is ARIS Cloud?

ARIS is the market-leading solution for professional business process management and modeling. Whether you want to document the "as-is" state of your operations for quality or certification reasons or design the "to-be" in terms of continuous improvement in your transformation program, ARIS is the best choice for establishing a single source of truth regarding all process excellence topics in your organization. It is for any organization looking to digitally transform their business, increase operational excellence and customer experience and ensure compliance in execution. ARIS helps you to make the most out of your processes with Process Mining, Risk & Compliance Management, RPA and much more.

What makes the difference?

• The most comprehensive platform for process excellence in the market
  • Easy to use
  • Covers business & IT architecture from all angles
  • Full flexibility and >100 diagram types
  • Customer-driven development based on best practices
  • Strong partner ecosystem

ARIS is the market-leading solution for any organization and ideally suited to digitally transform the organization, increase operational excellence and customer experience and ensure compliance in execution.

ARIS Cloud was previously known as Process Live, ARIS Simulation, ARIS Aware, ARIS Connect.

ARIS Cloud Customers

Tesco, Weifu, Airbus, Siemens, Proximus, Alicorp, Sekerbank, Bancor, Emirates NBD, Dubai Municipality, BRC, Suva, U.S. Army, Australia Post, Westfalen Weser Energie - ARIS serves customers across all industries and of every size. Companies trust ARIS as the market leader for process excellence with more than 10 million users worldwide, from 1 user companies to the Fortune 500.

ARIS Cloud Video

ARIS Cloud Pricing Advice

What users are saying about ARIS Cloud pricing:
"The licensing model of ARIS Cloud is leaner and more beneficial to the customer. The new license model is great. With the on-premise, you needed to subscribe to many more types of licenses. Now there are licensed bundles available on the cloud."

ARIS Cloud Reviews

BPM & ARIS Methodology Owner at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
There has been a dramatic improvement in the ease of use as well as the accessibility and interconnectivity of information
  • "From a total cost of ownership perspective, running this on the cloud is more efficient than having someone in the company take care of the infrastructure."
  • "ARIS' flexibility and power add a certain complexity. And if ARIS could be more streamlined, I think customers would have a better handle on what to do with it in the end. So if you're not a tech geek, you might struggle to understand what you should do with it as a customer because it's that powerful."

What is our primary use case?

We are doing standard business process management as modeling for projects and some strategic initiatives. It depends on what the requester wants. We have a strong community in our global operations where we do product design and manufacturing. We also have some transformation projects that use Aris, so our digital creation transformation is going from a physical product creation lifecycle to a digital one. These colleagues are using Aris to sketch out and define their new processes. At the beginning of this year, we started using ARIS BPM for the SAP S/4 implementation and business process blueprint to synchronize with SAP Solution Manager.

Our company hopes to further refine our business process management with this SAP S/4 project, which will also be platform-based. By the end of this year or the beginning of the next, we aim to complete the business process blueprint for the S/4 environment. Then we'll hand the blueprint over to our implementation partner, who will implement and configure SAP.  That should be a more straightforward and structured approach than having things flying around in Excel and PowerPoint files. It also helps to have ARIS and SAP Solution Manager driving the global rollout.

We also did a POC called the "GDPR topic," which covered data and privacy. That was looking very good, but unfortunately, it was deprioritized from the company side. Apart from that, we are not using risk and compliance managers currently. We have a few basic licenses on that, and I think it's very powerful. However, you need to have more buy-in from a wider audience within the company to do risk and compliance management. It has to be process-oriented. You need to use your existing processes for risk and compliance. We were not mature enough to roll this out internally yet.

How has it helped my organization?

It's vital for the company to have an overall cloud strategy. From a total cost of ownership perspective, running this on the cloud is more efficient than having someone in the company take care of the infrastructure. Apart from that, a dozen aspects of the tool itself are beneficial, and it has some strengths compared to other tools. But that isn't specific to the cloud.

We have different projects going on, and we introduced the ARIS Connect portal three years ago to gather process information faster and more efficiently. For example, my colleague in global operations needed three months to get the latest process information together when they did new projects. With ARIS, they hoped to reduce this to one or two weeks maybe. It involves searching for things in the central repository then briefly revalidating the content to ensure it's still correct or up to date. This is much easier with a central repository, like ARIS.

Generally speaking, ARIS has improved our organization by creating transparency and generating a discussion about what a process owner is and the responsibilities of process owners. Part of it is having valid documentation. ARIS has helped a lot because you can push for these things when you have a central repository. As a result, we have more information about organizations and projects, allowing them to ramp up faster. At the same, ARIS provides a basis for discussion for the end-users. Of course, it can't give you everything, but it lays a foundation for starting a conversation and getting on the same page of some content. That eliminates a lot of misalignment and misinformation by offering transparent information on something.

What is most valuable?

Over the past few years, ARIS has made its interface more user-friendly and intuitive. There has been a dramatic improvement in the ease of use as well as the accessibility and interconnectivity of information. They've also made it possible to collect data from massive enterprises into one repository.

When talking about ease of use, you also have to distinguish between the everyday end-users and the people like me responsible for the entire setup and the back-end and the methodology. I'm working for a marketing company with a lot of creative people. They're not that interested in understanding everything the tool offers or what the software is about. They want to go in, consume their content and go out again.

From this perspective, ARIS has improved dramatically with the new front-end portal called ARIS Connect. This is a great path forward, but it creates some complexities for the administrator because you need to decide which way to go while remaining consistent with what you decided in the first place. But for the end-user, that is a huge win, I would say. We get excellent feedback as well from the end-user about that.

What needs improvement?

On the one hand, ARIS is very flexible, so you can do everything with it. You can even conduct a survey, which we are doing now, and send it via Aris. On the other hand, ARIS' flexibility and power add a certain complexity. If ARIS could be more streamlined, I think customers would have a better handle on what to do with it in the end. If you're not a tech geek, you might struggle to understand what you should do with it as a customer because it's that powerful. The scope of other tools is narrower, so they seem easier to use. That's where you need to balance. Tools that are easier to use sometimes hit a wall when you want to go deeper.

Business Process Design
July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Software AG, SAP, IBM and others in Business Process Design. Updated: July 2022.
621,703 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using ARIS for nine years with my current company, and the company has a contract with ARIS going back to 2005 or so. However, we only moved to ARIS Cloud in the middle of this year, and we just finished our migration.

From a cloud perspective, we haven't had problems so far. In general, we have good availability, and the connection is highly stable. Sometimes there is a little lag, but we're never quite sure if that's the cloud version or if it's your personal internet connection or whatever.

We have a rather small environment. To use T-shirts as an analogy, I think our size would be an S or an M. Our user base is small. I know some other customers using ARIS that are enormous, so I don't think we'll have any problems if we increase the content. I feel confident we could go all-in with 50,000 users. Of course, we would need to have different sizing, but I believe that it would be working smoothly.

Sometime in October or so, Software AG generally changed their ticketing system. There were a few hiccups setting up that. There were one or two weeks when we didn't know if our ticket had been viewed, and we had some error messages coming back via email. Apart from that, we have been delighted with the response times and the ticketing system. I'd rate Software AG's support nine out of 10.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The simple technical setup was excellent. It was speedy, convenient, and everything is working fine so far. There have been a few bugs, but that has nothing to do with the cloud. It's an interplay with the cloud and the service release. It is expected that you will have some minor hiccups when you change the infrastructure environment. We had a few issues on our side. We solved them all, but that is a part of any migration project.

You need to make sure that you have a project manager within your organization who can anticipate any problems you might have when you change something. Then it's about how fast you can solve these things. We had a bit of a delay in the end, but it wasn't on the Software AG side. We also had some other difficulties within our organization with the active directory connection.

When deploying, future customers need to make sure they have their own dependencies under control within their company and know what is there. We were surprised by one or two issues, but we could solve them. Overall, I would say the migration was seamless.

I think the contractual issues took longer than the actual migration. That always depends on your new contracts and procurement processes. We all know that in larger companies, this can get complicated sometimes. It took quite some time, and unfortunately, it hit us during the summertime from July until September. This is a core time for us, and many people were on vacation. If it weren't for the contract issues and all the people taking off, we could've had this up and running in a few days.

Software AG also had a few problems reaching the cloud ops team. I think that needs to be better streamlined in communicating with the customer, having better transparency about the roadmap, etc. Thankfully, we had someone working with us on the Software AG side who functioned as a project manager, which helped. Still, I think there is room for improvement in interacting with the cloud ops team.

The licensing model of ARIS Cloud is leaner and more beneficial to the customer. The new license model is great. With the on-premise, you needed to subscribe to many more types of licenses. Now there are licensed bundles available on the cloud. That's one of the cloud version's advantages.  I think the price is comparable to similar solutions. We did a pricing comparison to Signavio, which is in the same price range, and ARIS offers 20 to 50 percent more features, so I think it's an excellent price for the functionality ARIS offers.

SAP purchased Signavio as a BPM platform because we are doing an SAP project. Of course, we did a POC because it's our due diligence to look into other tools. We found that the Signavio tool is weaker in the SAP S/4 environment.

We had different requirements from the project we needed to implement, and it was possible to configure ARIS and customize it to our needs. This is not possible in Signavio. For example, ARIS has features like fact sheets that give you spreadsheet-like visibility of your information, and we could break down a few spreadsheets like Excels or Smartsheet lists and integrate this into ARIS. And with this spreadsheet and catalog functionality, that was possible. Again, you can't do this in Signavio.

Compared to Signavio, ARIS gives you much more flexibility to set up your environment, databases, etc. We also have a license for the workflow engine called ARIS Process Governance. This is much more powerful, and more things are possible than with other tools. There is also a test designer connected to ARIS. You can take your process models and design your test cases from the BPM platform and synchronize that with the solution manager. Other platforms don't have this feature. ARIS is capable of bidirectional sync, too.

On the other hand, Signavio might be more specific and specialized for the SAP solution because it's part of SAP now. However, this is a recent development. Perhaps we might see more integration with the SAP environment in two or three years because software implementation and integration take time. Everything with marketing and passwords needs to be implemented first, but then we need to see how Software AG positions itself with ARIS in this field. For now, I don't see any advantages Signavio has over ARIS.

For process mining, we decided to go with ARIS' competitor Celonis two or three years ago, and it's even hosted and owned by another team. The latest RFP on that also showed Celonis would continue to be the provider for the process mining. Of course, there is now a discussion about integrating these two tools, and let's see how that turns out. But we are not using ARIS process mining, and it was even evaluated, not by me but by the process mining colleagues.

We also have an automation team, and this automation team takes care of RPA and process mining. The problem is that we have a very unintegrated solution landscape. My idea would be something different. I would recommend having an integrated solution for that, but it's not my decision. We have various tools for the different approaches, and it's not coming together, but let's see what the future brings. I know about the capabilities and the third-party connections ARIS offers, but I'm not the owner of these topics at the company.

What other advice do I have?

I rate ARIS Cloud nine out of 10.

Download our free Business Process Design Report and find out what your peers are saying about Software AG, SAP, IBM, and more!
Updated: July 2022