We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling is #6 ranked solution in top Compute Service tools. PeerSpot users give Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling an average rating of 8 out of 10. Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling is most commonly compared to AWS Fargate: Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling vs AWS Fargate. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.
What is Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling?

Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling helps you maintain application availability and allows you to automatically add or remove EC2 instances according to conditions you define. ... Dynamic scaling responds to changing demand and predictive scaling automatically schedules the right number of EC2 instances based on predicted demand.

Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling was previously known as AWS RAM.

Download the Compute Service Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling Customers
Expedia, Intuit, Royal Dutch Shell, Brooks Brothers
Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling Video

Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling pricing:
  • "The price of this product could be a little bit lower."
  • "Licensing fees are paid on a yearly basis."
  • "The pricing is not fixed and it is based on usage."
  • "Pricing could be a little bit more competitive."
  • "I have not explored the price of the solution extensively, but from what I have seen the price is alright."
  • Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling Reviews

Venkateswarlu Paturu
    Service Delivery Manager / Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Stable, flexible, reliable, and scales up or down automatically according to your requirements
    • "The most valuable features are that it is stable, flexible, and reliable."
    • "The technical support needs to be improved."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that it is stable, flexible, and reliable.

It is pretty good from a scaling perspective, where if the load on the server is too high, it automatically scales up and the load on the server is balanced. When the load decreases, it automatically downgrades.

What needs improvement?

The technical support needs to be improved.

From a usage perspective, it runs well, although there may be a use case where it will break that I have not yet come across.

I have been using Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling for several years.

This is a stable solution.

The scalability is very good. I have used it at the enterprise level for hundreds of users.

With respect to technical support, there is a lot of good documentation available but the problem is that sometimes when there is third-party integration, support becomes very difficult because they think that the problem is not related to Amazon.

For example, I tried to integrate with some IoT products, and they support integration with Amazon. When I had trouble, the IoT vendor told me that it is Amazon who needed to take care of something on their side, yet when I contacted Amazon, they told me to contact the IoT vendor. They should have more partnerships and cooperation with other vendors to improve integration overall.

As a platform, we are expecting a little bit more in terms of support, especially when third-party integrations are concerned.

We did not use another similar product prior to this one.

There is no installation because it is already taken care of with a configuration tool by AWS.

The price of this product could be a little bit lower.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good product and I haven't face any issues with it. I plan to continue using it in the future, and I can recommend it to others. My primary complaint is about the pricing.

ASHOK YADAV
    Solutions Architect at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Excellent performance, easy to use, quick to install, and integrates well
    • "The Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling features are simple to use."
    • "I would like to see a feature included that has the capability to clone when an instance is being terminated."

What is our primary use case?

Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling helps maintain application availability and allows you to add or remove EC2 instances.

More than one instance can run at one time. You can start and stop instances at any time.

It can run with any application. Linux, as an example, can be installed with it.

Once the EC2 has been created, you can easily log into it.

What is most valuable?

The Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling features are simple to use.

The performance is excellent. It's very easy to use and manage.

We have no issues with the integration of Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling.

The user data can be initialized during the startup, which is an excellent feature.

The AMI (Amazon Machine Image) is a helpful feature for the installation process.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a feature included that has the capability to clone when an instance is being terminated.

We have a few instances with the internal firewall. If for example, I am going to run Linux, and the firewall is open, sometimes it becomes difficult to debug the issue. Also, when you connect from another device, and if the internal IP address table is not deleted, the firewall will be enabled there.

There is no clear understanding of where the issue is. If you connect externally, you have to install SFTP.

I would like debugging capabilities included.

I have been using Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling for more than two years.

Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling is a stable solution.

This solution is used by 1,000 people in our organization.

Technical support is good.

Previously, I had not used another solution. I started with AWS.

The installation was fine. We were able to install it with the assistance of AMI.

The installation took less than 10 minutes, but it depends on what you want to install.

This solution is managed by a team of ten administrators.

Licensing fees are paid on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

It is my opinion that serverless, such as Lambda, are preferred over EC2 instances.

I would recommend this solution to others.

I would rate Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling a nine out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Apache, Oracle and others in Compute Service. Updated: January 2022.
    564,143 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Director at TraCoGo Inc
    Simple to use interface, helps transition from development environment to production
    • "The monitoring tool is helpful."
    • "When creating a new instance there is a set of questions that have to be answered, and this is something that can be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this product within our cloud-based development environment.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the seamless transition from the development environment to production.

The interface is simple to use.

The monitoring tool is helpful.

What needs improvement?

Ask set of questions like expected number of users, redundancy, up time per day and etc when creating a new instance. This would help the user to choose the right EC2 configurations.

We have been using Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling for more than a year.

We have had no problems with the stability of this product.

We have not had any issues with scalability since our implementation.

In our development environment, we have 20 members. When it moves into production then there will be more than 1,000.

I have not been in contact with technical support. They have good documentation and we consult it when we have a problem.

The initial setup is straightforward.

The pricing is not fixed and it is based on usage.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this product is to consider their budget in conjunction with the configuration that they need. That is something that you have to be careful with. If it is too high-end of a configuration then you may not use it.

In summary, this is a good product that I can recommend.

Sekhar Prudhivi
    Senior Infrastructure Engineer at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Stable with good performance

What is our primary use case?

I use it for running Tomcat applications to restore the RDS, the database for getting the data. It then generates a UI.  I am using it only for practicing purposes. I am trying to test the auto-scale feature and see how it works when we increase any workload.

What is most valuable?

It's good performance-wise.

What needs improvement?

Scalability can be improved.

I have been using this solution for around two to three months. It is mostly for personal practice purposes when I want to learn or practice anything, like research.

It is stable.

I try to do auto-scaling. It sometimes works. At…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

It's good performance-wise.

What needs improvement?

Scalability can be improved.

It is stable.

I try to do auto-scaling. It sometimes works. At other times, I'm not able to generate that load. I am still testing out my application.

I didn't contact technical support. I just go through the documents.

The initial setup was simple. It took me an hour to install.

Pricing could be a little bit more competitive.

What other advice do I have?

I haven't explored it that much, so it's only basic use. I would recommend this product.

I would rate Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud

Software Engineer at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
    Integrates well, reliable, and scalable

What is our primary use case?

Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling is used if your computers are heavily using resources or heavily loaded, this is going to impact your backend environment. Therefore if your computers need more CPUs or additional RAM associated, then you can use Auto Scaling to take care of it. We then do not face any such structural issues with the VMs where we host the control environment and application.

What is most valuable?

Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling has good integration.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by having more automation. Nowadays there is a vast variety of automation. Additionally, infrastructure monitoring could improve.

I have been using Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling for approximately three years. …

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling has good integration.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling for approximately three years.

The solution is stable.

Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling is scalable.

We have more than 50 users using this solution in my organization.

The installation is straightforward and it takes approximately 15 minutes to do.

We did the implementation ourselves.

I have not explored the price of the solution extensively, but from what I have seen the price is alright.

There is an annual subscription needed for the solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling an eight out of ten.

Product Categories
    Compute Service
    Download our free Compute Service Report and find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Apache, Oracle, and more!