Google Cloud OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Google Cloud is the #5 ranked solution in top Infrastructure as a Service Clouds and #7 ranked solution in PaaS Services. PeerSpot users give Google Cloud an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. Google Cloud is most commonly compared to Oracle Cloud Platform: Google Cloud vs Oracle Cloud Platform. Google Cloud is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 73% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a manufacturing company, accounting for 18% of all views.

Download the Infrastructure as a Service Clouds (IaaS) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2023

What is Google Cloud?

Google Cloud is an Infrastructure as a Service Cloud (IaaS) and Platform as a Service (PaaS) solution that provides infrastructure tools and services for building applications on top of a public cloud computing platform. As one of the leading global infrastructures, this product allows users to securely manage enterprise data, receive valuable insights, and store documents. Google Cloud provides its various services through tools and services for data warehousing, security key enforcement, application programming interface (API) management, artificial intelligence (AI), and machine learning (ML).

The use cases of Google Cloud can be divided into four main categories:

• Big data
  • Compute
  • Services
  • Storage

The solution is utilized by organizations of all sizes and industries, as it is suitable for the following purposes:

• Running and building applications: Google Cloud lets businesses run and build their applications anywhere because of its commitment to open-source, hybrid, and multi-cloud. This can accelerate development time as businesses avoid vendor lock-in.

• Data insight: Google Cloud provides companies with advanced ML and analytics for their data. This can facilitate business decisions and improve work processes, as every team member can have access to data reports via this solution.

• Security: Utilizing Google's technology, this solution helps users protect and defend their data and applications against threats and harmful activities.

• Team collaboration: Google Cloud offers companies advanced collaboration features. They can integrate email, chat, video calling, and document collaboration all in one place when using this platform.

Google Cloud Features

Google Cloud offers multiple features for its clients. Some of these include:

• Big data features: The solution offers full big data services through tools such as BigQuery and Google Cloud Dataflow. These tools allow users to process large data queries as well as create, monitor, and receive reports from data processing pipelines.

• Containers: The solution offers containers, which allow users to speed up deployment and scale applications.

• Cloud debugger: This feature allows users to debug code during the production process. In this way, businesses are able to locate issues early in the code and fix them before deploying the application.

• Cloud save: This feature provides the ability to synchronize cloud-stored data across all devices an organization is supporting. Through it, users can save and retrieve information and maintain all data copies up to date.

• Cloud trace: This Google Cloud feature allows users to detect the reasons for performance bottlenecks and fix the issues. It also provides users with information on the time their product takes to process certain requests, allowing them to follow performance more closely.

• Hosting features: The solution offers two hosting options. App Engine is the PaaS of Google Cloud and Computes Engine is their IaaS.

• Load balancing: This feature balances the traffic of multiple compute instances across various geographic regions.

• Maintenance: Users receive frequent insight into the performance of their applications and through automations, Google Cloud lets them know of any issues that need to be fixed.

Google Cloud Benefits

Google Cloud brings various benefits to its users. Some of these include the following:

• The pricing model of Google Cloud allows users to pay only for the selected features and tools they wish to use, which saves their organizations money.

• Users can rely on accelerated content delivery through Google Cloud Content Delivery Network (CDN).

• Google Cloud offers a wide variety of tools and libraries, which assist users in the development of cloud applications.

• The tool has an advanced admin control that allows users to easily add or remove new users and maintain the security of business platforms.

• Google Cloud offers consulting services whereby experts provide assistance with cloud strategy development.

• The platform is updated on a frequent basis, which can increase companies' productivity through consistent innovations.

• Google Cloud offers remote access from anywhere at all times via Google's web applications.

• The solution reduces the risks of data breaches as it offers minimal storage of offline data.

• Users can expect support not only from the platform but from the growing online community as well, where their questions can be answered in a timely manner.

• The product provides detailed documentation for its clients, allowing them to benefit from tutorials and other samples, in order to learn to work with it in the most efficient way.

Reviews from Real Users

Isuru P., an assistant vice president at a tech services company, likes Google Cloud because it is easy to deploy next-generation applications using it.

An IT solutions consultant at a tech services company rates Google Cloud highly because they find the solution stable with a good user experience and a straightforward setup.

Google Cloud Video

Google Cloud Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Google Cloud pricing:
  • "The cost might be $10 a month per user, which is about $300 a month in total."
  • "I am not familiar with the pricing, but I would guess that it is probably cheaper than Microsoft Suite"
  • "Licensing fees are paid monthly."
  • Google Cloud Reviews

Senior Software Developer Team Lead at Dilowa
    Fair pricing and an easy setup with good online tutorials
    • "For us, the solution is very easy to use. We have the right skillsets for it."
    • "The documentation could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for small applications. There are also a few web applications with Angular.

What is most valuable?

I'm very happy with Google Cloud. Everything works. For us, the solution is very easy to use. We have the right skillsets for it.

Users find it easy to work with it.

I don't need to create an API layer since it automatically creates it for me.

It offers a real-time database, so we get updates really fast.

The Firebase database is great.

The tutorials people can find online are good.

The solution offers fair pricing.

It's pretty stable.

The solution can scale well.

It offers a simple initial setup.

What needs improvement?

There is only one issue that I have and it is when you create an account, they limit the number of accounts you can create.

The documentation could be better.

The backup needs improvement. I would prefer to do a one-piece backup solution where I can schedule backups.

It's just too complicated to migrate from one Firebase database to another. It should have been easy.

I'd like to see something like an exchange server, a managed email server, where I can handle other clients. I'd like something similar to Microsoft Exchange yet something that is like a fully managed email service.

I started using the solution maybe four years ago.

Infrastructure as a Service Clouds (IaaS)
    January 2023
    Find out what your peers are saying about Google, Alibaba, Linode and others in Infrastructure as a Service Clouds (IaaS). Updated: January 2023.
    672,785 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability has been great. I'd rate it ten out of ten. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. I've had no issues.

It's a very scalable solution. I'd rate its ability to expand at a ten out of ten.

We took a managed server, so it automatically scales. We've had a case where there were a thousand users streaming videos, and it all works fine.

We have 1200 users for one application. That said, we have a few applications and they all have varying amounts of users. It's likely around 1,000 users per app.

It's in our roadmap to increase usage.

I have tried Google support. I did send emails and never got a response for some of them. Compared to AWS, AWS has the best technical support and Google's is weaker.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We're also using AWS.

For Angular apps and for real-time apps and for real-time apps, Google Cloud is much better. When it comes to cleaning lambdas and small APIs, AWS is better. And the only thing I would say AWS is better is technical support. The support is 24 hours, and they're always ready to help. Google is less expensive, however.

The solution is straightforward to set up. I'd rate the ease of implementation nine out of ten. It's a cloud product. It's very easy.

Once you know what to do, the deployment is very quick and really easy. It's like one command line that you do to deploy. It only takes a minute.

We've got a repo. However, the deployments are done manually with just one command. They build locally and deploy manually.

Just one person managed the deployment process.

Everything is implemented in-house. We did not need outside assistance. I was able to handle the deployment myself.

Something that used to take six months might now only take two weeks. That's quite a change and a pretty good ROI.

I'd rate the pricing ten out of ten. It is an affordable product.

The cost might be $10 a month per user, which is about $300 a month in total.

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer.

I'm using a few of the services. I'm using the latest version of the solution.

I'd advise new users to go through some tutorials. The documentation can be a bit hard to read. However, there are a lot of good tutorials out there.

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten.

Google
    IsuruPonnamperuma - PeerSpot reviewer
    Assistant Vice President at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Reseller
    It's easy to deploy next-generation applications
    • "It's easy to deploy next-generation applications on Google Cloud. Customers can also use various cloud tools to optimize their operations and generate more insights to do business much smarter."
    • "Another issue is the applicability of local language data capturing mechanisms, which are more advanced on cloud service providers, but still there is room to grow. Also, their hybrid version isn't available in all markets worldwide, so I'm hoping that it will be released globally soon"

What is our primary use case?

When you push your networking, storage, and other infrastructure from on-premise to the cloud, you can let go of your on-premise real estate and shift the burden back onto the cloud vendor. Google absorbs the cost of power, cooling, management, etc.

You no longer need to spend on CapEx. Instead, you are spending on consumption, so your CapEx moves into OPEX and then on the utility. That's the generic use case for why somebody would move their workload to the cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

Migrating to the cloud offers multiple benefits for consumers. One is financial. Customers can let go of their data centers and put the overhead and the hassle of management onto the cloud provider.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to deploy next-generation applications on Google Cloud. Customers can also use various cloud tools to optimize their operations and generate more insights to do business much smarter.

What needs improvement?

Cloud vendors can't afford to have data centers all across the world because of the economics of scale and the size of markets. That is one reason that some customers don't get onto the cloud.

Another issue is the applicability of local language data capturing mechanisms, which are more advanced on cloud service providers, but still there is room to grow. Also, their hybrid version isn't available in all markets worldwide, so I'm hoping that it will be released globally soon.

We've been selling Google Cloud solutions for about a year now.

Stability has never been a question with any of the three major cloud vendors.

Cloud vendors are more scalable than any on-prem solution. There will always be an increasing demand for cloud solutions. It naturally goes up, and a lot of the other products you use will begin producing cloud versions that can only run on public clouds.

All three cloud vendors have excellent support. I would rate them nine or 10 out of 10.

So we have a reselling on prem solutions and cloud solutions.

I rate Google Cloud eight out of 10 for ease of deployment. The complexity of deployment can vary depending on the use case and business requirements, but if it's an enterprise workload, we are looking at anywhere from four to six months.

One person could be enough to deploy and manage a cloud solution depending on how critical the workload is. It's also contingent on how much responsibility the customer or the cloud vendor takes. For example, if the cloud vendor takes maximum responsibility in a case like a software service, then the customer only has to configure, manage and run the software.

We are the ones who migrate the workloads, so we're doing the implementation, but there is always. If it's a massive workload, we might bring in third-party integrators who specialize in a particular application workload.

You get an ROI from moving workloads from on-prem to cloud, but the real return comes when your customers start taking advantage of the cloud solution's full features. The return doesn't justify the cost unless you modernize the applications.

Cost can start from less than a dollar and go up. Monthly and yearly base billing is there, but ultimately it depends on customer usage, There could be additional costs. It depends on the requirements. If a customer has some needs that aren't available on the public cloud, they'll have to procure those licenses separately.

The decision to use Google Cloud had nothing to do with its technical capabilities. We were looking at which cloud vendor had the least reach in our market, so we chose that vendor. It's hard to speak generally about the advantages and disadvantages of the different cloud platforms divorced from context.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Google Cloud 10 out of 10. People have limited knowledge of cloud solutions. My advice is that for those considering migration to the cloud is to evaluate the on-prem and cloud alternatives as much as possible because you can make wrong decisions if your perspective is limited.

Infrastructure as a Service Clouds (IaaS)
    January 2023
    672,785 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Dimitar Alexov - PeerSpot reviewer
    CDO at SGROUP
    Reliable and provides easy access but needs to improve analytics for the client
    • "The solution is scalable."
    • "The analytics that they have are very focused. It serves Google and not really the client."

What is our primary use case?

We're using the solution for multiple purposes.

How has it helped my organization?

It's accessible from everywhere. It can be used for many purposes.

What is most valuable?

I like it due to the fact that it can be accessed from everywhere and it can be used for every kind of solution you need. I enjoy the freedom and access it allows for.

The solution is scalable.

It is stable and reliable.

What needs improvement?

The cost could be lowered.

The analytics could be improved. The analytics that they have are very focused. It serves Google and not really the client. There needs to be some kind of ratio between the purpose of the service, how much of this service is for the client and how much is for the provider. Google is getting more value from the analytics services than the client.

We've used the solution for many years now. It's likely been five to six years at this point.

The solution is very stable and reliable with good performance on offer. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

You can scale the solution quite easily. It's not a problem at all.

We have more than 4,000 users on the solution.

We do not plan to increase usage at this time.

We are internally supporting the product. We do not need any outside technical support. I've never reached out to Google's technical support services.

We've used Microsoft and IBM solutions in the past. This was before we began using Google Cloud.

We are using Google due to the fact that it's completely different. The purpose of Google Cloud is different, and the access to it is different. We are using it for wider services than for any kind of specific purpose or any kind of business focus.

We are using the cloud. There is no installation process required before you start using it.

In terms of the licensing, I'd rate the solution five out of ten. It could always be cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

I'd recommend the solution to others. I'm a user myself. It's also very popular as an option in my country.

I'd rate the solution five out of ten.

Google
    IT Solutions Consultant at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Stable with a good user experience and a straightforward setup
    • "The initial setup is very straightforward."
    • "If there were more documentation and training, it would be very helpful in explaining the underlying processes."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for a couple of small development environments.

What is most valuable?

The solution is just simple and easy for me to configure. It's very easy to work with and navigate through. The user experience is very good. Overall, it's very easy to use.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The solution has been good overall. I can't recall having any features missing.

The solution could be less expensive.

It may be helpful to go through some training in order to get comfortable with the product.

The user interface could be a bit better. I've done a few deployments following the tutorial, and afterward, I'm not quite sure what exactly I've done. I just follow the instructions and just finish the command prompt and then it looks like it's working - but why, and how? I'm not quite sure. I want to understand fundamentally what I've done. If there were more documentation and training, it would be very helpful in explaining the underlying processes.

I've been using the solution for three or four years at this point.

My usage is quite limited, and therefore, I haven't experienced many problems at the moment. It doesn't crash or freeze. There are no bugs or glitches. It's reliable.

It's my understanding that the solution can scale, however, I haven't explored this aspect yet.

Mainly, it's just me on the solution. There isn't much of a team surrounding it. I do have a couple of other teams outsourcing ideas, however.

I haven't needed to reach out to technical support. I can't speak to how knowledgeable or responsive they are to inquiries.

The initial setup is very simple and straightforward. It's not complex at all. A company shouldn't have any issues with the initial setup.

The deployment was very fast and only maybe took an hour.

The pricing is okay, however, it could always be cheaper, which is always better.

There isn't too much difference in price when comparing it to what else is on the market.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a Google partner.

Overall, the solution has been pretty good and I don't really have any complaints to discuss.

In general, on a scale from one to ten, I would rate it at a nine.

Executive Director at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
    Light, feature-rich, stable and scalable, but it could be more user-friendly
    • "It is easy to use and has a very familiar interface."
    • "I feel that the Google product is incomplete with regard to internal communications. It is an area that needs some improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We use Google Suite of products for enterprise and we build our technology products for warehouse management systems, and transportation management systems.

We use Google Cloud for our enterprise. It is used for pretty much everything from emails to storage and to communicate everything.

What is most valuable?

Google Cloud is very light.

It is easy to use and has a very familiar interface.

I have used Microsoft and I have used Google. I feel equally comfortable with both, but Google is lighter and it's easy to work with on your mobile devices.

Google has a lot of features that are really good. I am happy with the features that Google offers.

What needs improvement?

As far as internal communications, Microsoft is much better because of the way it is structured. I feel more comfortable with Microsoft.

I feel that the Google product is incomplete with regard to internal communications. It is an area that needs some improvement.

The user experience could be better. Microsoft user experience is better.

The compatibility of different devices could be better because it looks different on different devices, It's not the same.

I have been with the company for seven or eight months and it has been used for a long time before that. They have been using it from the start.

I am satisfied with the stability of Google Cloud.

Google Cloud is very scalable. Many companies use Google Cloud because of its scalability.

We have more than 30,000 users in our organization who are using Google Cloud.

I have not had any issues with the technical support in the eight months I have been using Google Cloud.

The initial setup is easy. It's quite straightforward.

I am not familiar with the pricing, but I would guess that it is probably cheaper than Microsoft Suite. There are a lot of startups that use Google Cloud.

What other advice do I have?

We are a Google house, and we don't use any of the Microsoft products.

Google is fantastic and I think that people should go for it. I would recommend using Google Cloud.

I would rate Google Cloud a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud
    Gerald Gomez - PeerSpot reviewer
    Cloud Solution Architect at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
    Plenty of features, straightforward installation, and user-friendly
    • "My customers appreciate all the features that Google Cloud has to offer. They are looking for solutions for computing engines, storage, web hosting, and various other needs. The most useful feature depends on their specific requirements and how they plan to utilize Google Cloud. Each customer has their own unique set of needs and the Google Cloud provides a range of options to meet those needs."
    • "Google Cloud could improve interoperability with other cloud services."

What is our primary use case?

Our aim is to provide comprehensive solutions to our valued customers. Whether it be to fulfill their specific requests or to help them attain their desired outcomes, we utilize the cutting-edge technology available in Google Cloud. This allows us to effectively cater to our client's needs while also providing a mutually beneficial experience.

What is most valuable?

My customers appreciate all the features that Google Cloud has to offer. They are looking for solutions for computing engines, storage, web hosting, and various other needs. The most useful feature depends on their specific requirements and how they plan to utilize Google Cloud. Each customer has their own unique set of needs and the Google Cloud provides a range of options to meet those needs.

What needs improvement?

Google Cloud could improve interoperability with other cloud services.

Our objective was to attain a convenient and straightforward configuration process not only in Google Cloud but in other widely utilized cloud services. Regardless of the cloud service you are currently utilizing or intend to connect to, we desire for the process to be seamless and effortlessly attainable with only quick action. It is our hope that all cloud services possess this level of interoperability with one another.

I have been using Google Cloud for approximately five years.

The stability of Google Cloud is great.

Google Cloud is scalable.

I have not used the support from Google Cloud.

I have used Microsoft Azure and Amazon AWS prior to using Google Cloud. I prefer Google Cloud. The interface is designed in a way that is easy to understand, even for those with limited technical knowledge. One can effortlessly acquire the necessary knowledge through online resources, allowing for self-sufficient learning.

The initial setup of the solution was easy. We only need to complete approximately four steps and we have a cloud instance. The process takes 10 seconds.

What other advice do I have?

There is not any specific maintenance required to be done with the solution.

My advice to others is for them to take all the advantages of the free tiers from each cloud solution vendor and then decide what they want to use.

I rate Google Cloud a nine out of ten.

Ankit Mehta - PeerSpot reviewer
    Partner and Co-founder at Adnate IT Solutions
    Good performance, user-friendly, and easy to configure
    • "It didn't take long to get everything set up and understand what was going on. Things are pretty clear."
    • "The price could improve. Every customer would agree, that they would like the price to be reduced."

What is our primary use case?

We use Google Cloud for setting up the server. It is our development Server.

What is most valuable?

It is simple to use.

Everything was very simple to set up. I would say that we were already fairly comfortable with Google.

It didn't take long to get everything set up and understand what was going on. Things are pretty clear.

What needs improvement?

We have been working with Google Cloud for one year.

I am satisfied with the stability of Google Cloud.

The scalability of Google Cloud is good. It's a scalable product.

We only have one instance, which is a single server.

We didn't require any technical support. We were able to find solutions on the internet.

The security features in OpenText are great.

For web security, we do not use anything specific. Because we are working on OpenText AppWorks, the built-in security features are useful. In the production environment, the customer is responsible for the security of the web servers.

We use both Windows Server 2019 and Linux Servers.

Our customers have tested Webroot endpoint protection, and have not had any issues.

We are also working with Amazon AWS EC2. Our feedback would be similar to Google Cloud.

The initial setup is straightforward.

I don't remember the exact time because it was a while ago, but from what I recall, the setup took no more than two or three hours.

Technical assistance is required, but it is easily accessible via the internet. It is not difficult to understand.

In my opinion, the price is not excessive when compared to competitors. The market determines the price.

Licensing fees are paid monthly.

We have not yet evaluated Pega BPM, but we plan to do so in the future. We may begin practicing in Pega.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

I would rate Google Cloud a nine out of ten.

Nelson Hernandez Guerra - PeerSpot reviewer
    Developer Senior Genexus 16 Analyst at Migrate Brasil
    Widely recognized, easy to work with, and simple to set up
    • "It's easy to work with."
    • "I cannot recall coming across any missing features."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for deploying to the cloud. We have two products in production.

How has it helped my organization?

Two years ago, I was working on local servers only. With this, we were able to move to the cloud.

What is most valuable?

There's a lot of investment in Google Cloud. It's a very good product now.

The solution is stable.

It's more widely recognized and used by more people.

They continue to invest in the cloud and it's becoming very good.

The security is getting better.

It's easy to work with.

We're very happy with the implementation at this time.

The product can scale well.

What needs improvement?

I cannot recall coming across any missing features.

I've used the solution for a while now. It's been at least two years.

The solution has been stable and reliable. I haven't dealt with bugs or glitches and have noticed any crashing or freezing.

The solution is capable of scaling. It's not a problem.

We have five people using it right now.

In the future, we will increase usage.

Technical support has been helpful and responsive. We find them to be very good.

I also have experience with Amazon as well.

The solution has been easy to work with and easy to implement. It's not overly complex.

We have one person that is in charge of maintenance. It doesn't require much oversight.

We have witnessed an ROI, although I do not have specifics surrounding that aspect.

We've had licensing with Google for four years. The pricing is fine. It's not overly expensive.

At this point, I haven't evaluated any other options.

What other advice do I have?

I am using the latest version of the solution.

I'd recommend the solution to others.

In general, the solution is great and I would rate it ten out of ten.

Download our free Infrastructure as a Service Clouds (IaaS) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Google, Alibaba, Linode, and more!
    Updated: January 2023