IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Grafana OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Grafana is #24 ranked solution in APM tools. PeerSpot users give Grafana an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. Grafana is most commonly compared to Honeycomb.io: Grafana vs Honeycomb.io. Grafana is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 67% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 30% of all views.

Download the Application Performance Management (APM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Grafana?

Grafana allows you to query, visualize, alert on and understand your metrics no matter where they are stored. Create, explore, and share dashboards with your team and foster a data driven culture.

Grafana Customers
PayPal, eBay, Staples, Booking.com, Intel, NS1, TED, NetApp, Vimeo, RackSpace, SquareSpace, OpenTable, MediaMath, Fermilab

Grafana Reviews

Faustine Chisasa - PeerSpot reviewer
Engineering Supervisor- Corporate Data Solutions and Services at TZ Telecoms. Corporation
Customizable, flexible, and offers an open-source option
  • "Almost any kind of visualization is possible with Grafana and all dashboards are configurable."
  • "It is limited on the reporting type supported, which is important for managerial-level officers who want reports that are either general or specific."

What is our primary use case?

We use Grafana to visualize IT infrastructure monitoring data. We have real-time, historical, and trend data that we can visualize in a flexible manner using Grafana. We use Zabbix to collect, process, and store the data. Zabbix has its own inbuilt visualization widgets, dashboards, and graphs, however, Grafana adds more flexibility. We have integrated Zabbix with Grafana using the Zabbix API which gives access to almost all components of the Zabbix Software.

Our environment is on-premises so we have both Zabbix and Grafana locally installed.

How has it helped my organization?

Grafana has greatly improved the way we visualize monitoring data. Now, every team member from directors, managers, sales representatives, to technical engineers can be granted access to custom dashboards relevant to their line of work.

With the latest Grafana versions, reports can be generated from dashboards to update senior management officers.

The dashboards are not only intuitive and insightful, but they are also beautiful so it makes monitoring and data visualization more enjoyable.

Since it can easily be integrated with other software, having that important part of data processing taken care of makes technical teams more focused on improving data sources and enriching the data.

What is most valuable?

The ability to create almost all kinds of graphs and visualize any kind of information in an appealing way is extremely useful to us.

The customizability of dashboards and widgets is impressive.

The flexibility in integration with other tools as data sources of data enriching tools has been great.

It is open-source, so it saves a lot on costs and the community is friendly and powerful.

The product can be used to cater to multiple use cases. Almost any kind of visualization is possible with Grafana and all dashboards are configurable.

The ability to import and export dashboards saves us a lot of time for popular systems and dashboards.

What needs improvement?

The lack of native ability to aggregate data from multiple sources could be improved. As it is not a data store, it is challenging to correlate data from multiple data sources. Adding an out-of-box capability to aggregate and correlate different types of data would make Grafana even better.

It is limited on the reporting type supported, which is important for managerial-level officers who want reports that are either general or specific. Improvements in that area would be great.

Machine learning capabilities are still limited. This is an improvement in that area is needed.

Performance improvement when querying and searching textual data would be beneficial.

Application Performance Management (APM)
July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Grafana Labs, Honeycomb.io, Dynatrace and others in Application Performance Management (APM). Updated: July 2022.
620,600 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've used the solution for more than a year.

When computing resources are properly optimized Grafana runs in a quite stable manner. As Grafana is an analytics and visualization platform, it is a bit hungry on CPU and Memory usage. When Grafana instances are properly planned and configured, computing resources bottlenecks can be avoided. Our instances haven't given us headaches from the time we set them up.

Grafana is mainly for visualization, so many instances can be set as needed. Grafana can also be configured for high availability for some scenarios like alerting, authentication, and databases.

We haven't bought technical support and haven't dealt with their customer service agents.

We used native dashboards and graphs of another system we use. We use Zabbix for monitoring but we added Grafana to add more visualization flexibility.

The initial setup was straightforward, however, some resource optimization and tuning were needed. We have experienced professionals in tuning OS systems and application resources so it was not too complex for us.

We implemented everything fully in-house. Since we never had a vendor team, we don't know yet the level of expertise they have. The Grafana community has been so helpful in this regard.

I can confidently say we have a 100% return on investment. Grafana has greatly enriched our data visualization and analytics. We see the prospect of it appealing even to more senior management. They may not be quite technical, but they appreciate having data nicely visualized so they know what is going on.

You can choose from the fully open-source or enterprise editions. We chose the open-source and did everything in-house. Thorough planning and performance considerations are important, as the tool can be heavy on memory and computing resources.

We considered Kibana before we chose this solution.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is great and is one of the best in the market for visualization.

DevOps/Kubernetes consultant at System-dev formations
A very rich product that provides great capacity planning and has a great GUI
  • "Great capacity planning and the solution has a great GUI."
  • "Trigger limits are difficult to see in a graph."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a DevOps Kubernetes consultant and we are customers of Grafana.

What is most valuable?

Grafana is great when it comes to capacity planning and the solution has a great GUI. It's a very rich product.

What needs improvement?

Perhaps the display of the trigger limits should be more efficient because it's difficult to see that in a graph. We also have an issue with flapping where values move up and down and knowing how to deal with that is quite complicated in Grafana.

I've been using this solution for one year.

The solution is very stable.

It's easy to scale this solution.

Customer support is quite efficient.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

I previously worked for Zabbix. The main difference is in the performance and I prefer Grafana.

The initial setup is relatively simple but it can take a couple of weeks to get a grip on the GUI. We did the set up in-house, using documentation and a couple of training calls. Deployment took about a week. We have five users of Grafana in the company.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good solution and I recommend it but it's important to have good training and to use the latest version. I rate this solution eight out of 10.

Download our free Application Performance Management (APM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Grafana Labs, Honeycomb.io, Dynatrace, and more!
Updated: July 2022