Grafana OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Grafana is the #8 ranked solution in APM tools. PeerSpot users give Grafana an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. Grafana is most commonly compared to Dynatrace: Grafana vs Dynatrace. Grafana is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 70% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a financial services firm, accounting for 20% of all views.
Grafana Buyer's Guide

Download the Grafana Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Grafana?

Grafana allows you to query, visualize, alert on and understand your metrics no matter where they are stored. Create, explore, and share dashboards with your team and foster a data driven culture.

Grafana Customers
PayPal, eBay, Staples, Booking.com, Intel, NS1, TED, NetApp, Vimeo, RackSpace, SquareSpace, OpenTable, MediaMath, Fermilab

Grafana Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Grafana pricing:
"I use the open source model so it is free."

Grafana Reviews

IT Analyst at Hydro Quebec
Agent-free with great dashboards and an active community
  • "It is a stable, reliable product."
  • "It would be helpful if they simplified the data source."

What is our primary use case?

It's for monitoring our infrastructure. They have some databases and some applications running Java. There are some Kubernetes and old Kubernetes deployments. The company wanted to visualize the logs and send some application sys logs. This is the main utilization.

It's a web application, Tomcat application, Java application, and database application. They are the main focus for collecting the application or system logs.

What is most valuable?

There is no agent to install. There are many dashboards also.

There is an active community where you can gather a lot of information about how the solution works. I come from Splunk. If I compare it with Splunk, Splunk has its own SPL, for example. You can play with the dashboard. There is some advantages in common with SPL. Visualization and collecting logs it's similar. However, Grafana is trying to cover many types of open-source infrastructure. This is why I appreciate Grafana versus, for example, Splunk.

The initial setup is not difficult.

It is a stable, reliable product.

What needs improvement?

They are doing well in terms of improvements they're making. They progressed much in dashboarding. However, it's very, very complicated when you start to understand how you make dashboards. You need to figure out how you collect and source your logs, for example. In the area of documentation, they must do a better job. Splunk documentation is much more organized than Grafana. Since it's open-source, you have to test your infrastructure more. You need to really understand it before you install it.

It would be helpful if they simplified the data source.

I've used the solution for about a year.

Grafana
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Grafana. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
656,862 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is a stable solution. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

You have to plan. You have a certain number or gigabit of logs that you can index. You also have a limited number of series. For users, I don't remember if we had any issues adding users. However, there is a cost per the size of the logs or the number of series. Scaling will drive costs up. Right now, our IT and development team is on the product. They are encouraging other departments to try it out.

The department where we worked has used support. We had to collaborate with Grafana since sometimes we were applying some solution that was not working. The logs were not coming and there were some errors. We had to open tickets and deal with the supplier to resolve the issues.

From my experience, when dealing with Splunk, for example, it's a big company and sometimes I have to deal with people that have no knowledge. However, with Grafana, we don't have that issue. They are good.

In one company, they asked me to play with Grafana and Prometheus. I've used them both.

I've used Splunk as well. It's not an open-source product.

It is very easy to set up the solution. It's not overly complex or difficult.

It's a couple of months before you start. For example, for a company that doesn't have any experience, they need to take time to understand it, especially if they only have a sys admin and not a senior person.

In our case, we did a lot of testing and installed it on a virtual machine. You do have a couple of months to play with it before you decide to go into production.

We have a license. The pricing varies. It depends on the number of metrics that you want to ingest per day.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and end-user.

If you use this product for the first time, I would encourage you to try some sort of live demo. Go to see the product in action and understand how it works, and test it. To install it in the cloud, you can have a free license at the start or a limited license for some events. You can try to play with the product and create some dashboarding to ingest some logs.

You don't have to install the whole thing as it's complicated to install the whole product, and you need many machines, CPUs, and memory. It's a good idea to try it out in a small way to see if it fits your needs or if you like it.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. I had a good experience testing the solution.

This is a good solution for companies that are using, for example, open source or Linux options for all the tools or those coming from the world of open source.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Faustine Chisasa - PeerSpot reviewer
Engineering Supervisor- Corporate Data Solutions and Services at TZ Telecoms. Corporation
Customizable, flexible, and offers an open-source option
  • "Almost any kind of visualization is possible with Grafana and all dashboards are configurable."
  • "It is limited on the reporting type supported, which is important for managerial-level officers who want reports that are either general or specific."

What is our primary use case?

We use Grafana to visualize IT infrastructure monitoring data. We have real-time, historical, and trend data that we can visualize in a flexible manner using Grafana. We use Zabbix to collect, process, and store the data. Zabbix has its own inbuilt visualization widgets, dashboards, and graphs, however, Grafana adds more flexibility. We have integrated Zabbix with Grafana using the Zabbix API which gives access to almost all components of the Zabbix Software.

Our environment is on-premises so we have both Zabbix and Grafana locally installed.

How has it helped my organization?

Grafana has greatly improved the way we visualize monitoring data. Now, every team member from directors, managers, sales representatives, to technical engineers can be granted access to custom dashboards relevant to their line of work.

With the latest Grafana versions, reports can be generated from dashboards to update senior management officers.

The dashboards are not only intuitive and insightful, but they are also beautiful so it makes monitoring and data visualization more enjoyable.

Since it can easily be integrated with other software, having that important part of data processing taken care of makes technical teams more focused on improving data sources and enriching the data.

What is most valuable?

The ability to create almost all kinds of graphs and visualize any kind of information in an appealing way is extremely useful to us.

The customizability of dashboards and widgets is impressive.

The flexibility in integration with other tools as data sources of data enriching tools has been great.

It is open-source, so it saves a lot on costs and the community is friendly and powerful.

The product can be used to cater to multiple use cases. Almost any kind of visualization is possible with Grafana and all dashboards are configurable.

The ability to import and export dashboards saves us a lot of time for popular systems and dashboards.

What needs improvement?

The lack of native ability to aggregate data from multiple sources could be improved. As it is not a data store, it is challenging to correlate data from multiple data sources. Adding an out-of-box capability to aggregate and correlate different types of data would make Grafana even better.

It is limited on the reporting type supported, which is important for managerial-level officers who want reports that are either general or specific. Improvements in that area would be great.

Machine learning capabilities are still limited. This is an improvement in that area is needed.

Performance improvement when querying and searching textual data would be beneficial.

I've used the solution for more than a year.

When computing resources are properly optimized Grafana runs in a quite stable manner. As Grafana is an analytics and visualization platform, it is a bit hungry on CPU and Memory usage. When Grafana instances are properly planned and configured, computing resources bottlenecks can be avoided. Our instances haven't given us headaches from the time we set them up.

Grafana is mainly for visualization, so many instances can be set as needed. Grafana can also be configured for high availability for some scenarios like alerting, authentication, and databases.

We haven't bought technical support and haven't dealt with their customer service agents.

We used native dashboards and graphs of another system we use. We use Zabbix for monitoring but we added Grafana to add more visualization flexibility.

The initial setup was straightforward, however, some resource optimization and tuning were needed. We have experienced professionals in tuning OS systems and application resources so it was not too complex for us.

We implemented everything fully in-house. Since we never had a vendor team, we don't know yet the level of expertise they have. The Grafana community has been so helpful in this regard.

I can confidently say we have a 100% return on investment. Grafana has greatly enriched our data visualization and analytics. We see the prospect of it appealing even to more senior management. They may not be quite technical, but they appreciate having data nicely visualized so they know what is going on.

You can choose from the fully open-source or enterprise editions. We chose the open-source and did everything in-house. Thorough planning and performance considerations are important, as the tool can be heavy on memory and computing resources.

We considered Kibana before we chose this solution.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is great and is one of the best in the market for visualization.

Grafana
November 2022
656,862 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Technical Lead at Capgemini
Helps us to monitor our traffic, but there are limited options
  • "The best feature was the creation of graphs and trends."
  • "If there was an issue on one node, we couldn't drill down and see all the issues on other nodes."

What is our primary use case?

We used Grafana to monitor our traffic.

What is most valuable?

The best feature was the creation of graphs and trends to know if the traffic was low or okay. We could create week-over-week traffic and trend analysis as well. All these features were good and were the only features I used.

What needs improvement?

If there was an issue on one node, we couldn't drill down and see all the issues on other nodes or see if there were interlinked issues. However, Datadog allowed us to do this. In Datadog, we could take our complete environment and see what nodes went down simultaneously and the cause. For example, Datadog allows you to see in the graphs whether the database is locked or if there was a firewall issue. However, in Grafana, we had to add everything into a single dashboard manually.

In the next release, there should be more of a colour palette. The colour palette in Grafana is limited, and it chooses its own. We used hundreds of services to monitor into a single graph, so in the stacked chart, it chose the colour needs, and when we wanted to change it, there were only four or five options.

I used this solution when I worked for Expedia. We used the solution for about three years.

There were no breakdowns or hiccups.

I am unaware of the scalability. There were around 500 users when I worked there. The network team was using it on a large scale.

I don't believe that Grafana fulfilled the requirements completely. That's why we moved to Datadog.

I was not involved in the initial setup. We had a password issue at a point, but I am unsure if that was an issue with the solution or just within the organization.

Grafana was not an open source, and we had to pay for a license to use it. The same was the case with CashPoint. There was a license, but I'm unaware of how much we were paying.

I believe my old company chose Grafana because they initially wanted to monitor the traffic and know the firewall and scaling.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Grafana a six out of ten because Grafana has limited options compared to Datadog. Regarding advice, it was pretty simple to use Grafana. The trickiest part was creating a new dashboard, working on the query and adding the requirement. So you have to have the source and path handy to put that in the query. Any user can use Grafana once they understand what the dashboards are doing and what data is being searched from those dashboards.

Senior Associate at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
A good starting point for SRE but managing defects is difficult without granular details
  • "Compatibility with Prometheus databases and the Spring Boot application make it the first choice when moving toward an SRE model."
  • "Writing queries can be a bit difficult because the syntax must be maintained."

What is our primary use case?

Our company uses the solution as a monitoring tool that provides alerts and behavior information. We have many Spring Boot applications and the solution works well with them.

What is most valuable?

The solution is adaptable, easy to use, and works well for microservices development.

Compatibility with Prometheus databases and the Spring Boot application make it the first choice when moving toward an SRE model.

What needs improvement?

It is difficult to manage defects because the solution does not provide granular details about the internal system for tracing.

Writing queries can be a bit difficult because the syntax must be maintained. The dependency on syntax should be removed so that it does not matter for queries.

I have been using the solution for two years.

The solution has some stability issues because I don't always see proper results. In comparison to other tools, it is not the most stable when using extensive SRE techniques.

Dynatrace and ELK are more stable but are more costly. An organization that needs strong stability and has a bigger budget could consider these tools.

Stability, features, or quality should not be based on cost. It is important to compare SRE models to find the best for your environment.

I have never needed technical support.

The initial setup is easy for on-premises. You install, integrate, and immediately see the visualization.

I am not sure about the ease of cloud or enterprise-level setups.

We implemented the solution in-house.

I use the open source model so it is free.

In the SRE model, there are many tools evolving but the solution is a good starting point for SRE with Spring Boot. Once you become familiar with SRE and are clear about the terminology, you can explore other products. Other users will say ELK or Dynatrace are good, but the best solution depends on your requirements.

SRE is a journey that is uncovered as you progress. The solution is adaptable, easy to configure, works for microservices development, and integrates with Spring Boot so it is the best product for starting points.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is a visualization tool that is pretty easy to use. Writing queries can be difficult so it is important to learn how to integrate with data sources before you write queries to visualize those metrics.

I rate the solution a six out of ten.

Johnson Adekunle - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Software Engineer | AWS Certified Solutions Architect at Venture Garden Group
Helps us with data monitoring but lacks detailed error messages
  • "We can write queries in different languages, which is beneficial for visualization."
  • "The product's configuration for saving files could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution primarily for data monitoring, specifically payment transaction monitoring. For example, we use it to monitor payments passing through our systems, integrate with different parties, and track the metrics of payments. The support team can view all these items on a dashboard to gauge the threshold of payments.

What is most valuable?

The query patch is the most valuable feature. We can write queries in different languages, which is beneficial for visualization.

What needs improvement?

The product could be improved with a feature that provides detailed error messages when we encounter issues. For example, we had a case where there was an error message and we could not decipher what went wrong. Additionally, the product's configuration for saving files could be improved, and more plugins could be provided when using the dashboards.

We have been using this solution for approximately two years as customers. We deploy this solution on-premises.

The solution has been stable for us. We can integrate our single internal sign-on into the solution.

The solution is scalable and we can add people on without any issues. Additionally, we can integrate our single internal sign-on into the solution. About 40% percent of the engineers in the company are using this solution.

We have not had any experience with customer service and support yet.

Unfortunately, I would not be able to comment on the initial setup as I wasn't involved in the setup process.

Unfortunately, I cannot comment on licensing and pricing costs as I am unaware of the pricing details.

We chose this solution because it met the requirements of visualizing and monitoring to make decisions. We found it had very good industrial usage from the reports we read when Space X launched.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a six out of ten. Nevertheless, we recommend using this solution and advise others to go through the tutorial videos before using it. The solution is good but it could be improved by including features that provide more detailed error messages as well as additional plugin options for the dashboard.

AbhishekGupta - PeerSpot reviewer
Engineering Leader at Walmart
Beneficial operational excellence, reliable, and scalable
  • "The most valuable feature of Grafana is the ease to build dashboards from observability construction. Additionally, the page services and integration are good."
  • "The look and feel of the charting and graph capabilities in Grafana could improve. If they provided a storyboard type of feature as they have in other solutions, such as PowerBI. The multi-tenanted and stitch metrics features could improve."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Grafana for observability dashboards.

How has it helped my organization?

Grafana has helped our organization with observability and operational excellence. Operational excellence is a key part of any organization from a data platform perspective and setting the alerts and monitoring policies on Grafana was easy.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Grafana is the ease to build dashboards from observability construction. Additionally, the page services and integration are good.

What needs improvement?

The look and feel of the charting and graph capabilities in Grafana could improve. If they provided a storyboard type of feature as they have in other solutions, such as PowerBI. The multi-tenanted and stitch metrics features could improve.

I have been using Grafana for a couple of years.

The stability of Grafana is good. I have not seen any issues.

Grafana has been scalable in the pipelines we have used it in. We have 10,000 web links for 10,000 Grafana dashboards.

I have not used the support from Grafana.

We had set up our own monitoring and metrics dashboards and custom dashboards prior to Grafana.

I have not set up Grafana but my team has found it easy to do. We have an automated setup of Grafana. Every new pipeline gets created, and it creates a deep link into a Grafana dashboard.

Grafana is good as a solution because it is easy to offset monitoring and alerting policies in Grafana.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Grafana a nine out of ten.

Felipe Lopes - PeerSpot reviewer
Engineering Manager at Alice
You can create dashboards to instantly see your business, technical, and service metrics
  • "The initial setup is straightforward with just a few clicks on the solution's cloud."
  • "The solution has room for improvement with a better API to help automate the construction of the dashboards easier."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of the solution is to create business and technical dashboards in the metrics provided by the services through Prometheus.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has improved our organization by providing a centralized way to instantly see our business, technical, and service metrics.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the user-friendly interface and the ability to connect with many data sets.

What needs improvement?

I have been using the solution for three years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

Previously we used New Relic before switching to the solution.

The solution was implemented in-house with a few clicks.

I have seen a return on investment.

What other advice do I have?

I give the solution an eight out of ten.

There are 40 people using the solution in our organization and it requires three people to maintain it.

I would recommend you try to use as many tools as you can. You can have an ecosystem that is quiet and works like using Temple, Prometheus, and so on.

Other
DevOps/Kubernetes consultant at System-dev formations
A very rich product that provides great capacity planning and has a great GUI
  • "Great capacity planning and the solution has a great GUI."
  • "Trigger limits are difficult to see in a graph."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a DevOps Kubernetes consultant and we are customers of Grafana.

What is most valuable?

Grafana is great when it comes to capacity planning and the solution has a great GUI. It's a very rich product.

What needs improvement?

Perhaps the display of the trigger limits should be more efficient because it's difficult to see that in a graph. We also have an issue with flapping where values move up and down and knowing how to deal with that is quite complicated in Grafana.

I've been using this solution for one year.

The solution is very stable.

It's easy to scale this solution.

Customer support is quite efficient.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

I previously worked for Zabbix. The main difference is in the performance and I prefer Grafana.

The initial setup is relatively simple but it can take a couple of weeks to get a grip on the GUI. We did the set up in-house, using documentation and a couple of training calls. Deployment took about a week. We have five users of Grafana in the company.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good solution and I recommend it but it's important to have good training and to use the latest version. I rate this solution eight out of 10.

Download our free Grafana Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022