IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

WinAutomation by Softomotive OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

WinAutomation by Softomotive is #17 ranked solution in best RPA tools. PeerSpot users give WinAutomation by Softomotive an average rating of 8 out of 10. WinAutomation by Softomotive is most commonly compared to Microsoft Power Automate: WinAutomation by Softomotive vs Microsoft Power Automate. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 27% of all views.
What is WinAutomation by Softomotive?

WinAutomation provided by Softomotive is the world’s best desktop automation tool and provides a powerful, robust and easy to use Windows-based platform for building software robots.

WinAutomation brings the benefits of Robotic Process Automation to your desktop. It offers the most powerful, robust and easy to use Windows-based software that allows you to automate routine and repetitive tasks. WinAutomation helps you reduce costs and improve the overall speed and accuracy of business processes.

WinAutomation can automate ANY windows-based task you can imagine

Augment your own work by automating time consuming, repetitive tasks and free up valuable time for more value-added activities. WinAutomation can automate simple administrative tasks, involving simple data transfer between systems, to complex business processes and workflows. Interact with any Desktop or Web Applications, send e-mails, work with all kinds of documents and folders, search for images on the screen, work with FTPs, databases, MSOffice products and much-much more.

WinAutomation by Softomotive was previously known as Softomotive WinAutomation, WinAutomation.

Download the Robotic Process Automation (RPA) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2022

WinAutomation by Softomotive Customers

xerox, harris&ford, JDM Wealth Management, Fetter Group

WinAutomation by Softomotive Video

Archived WinAutomation by Softomotive Reviews (more than two years old)

Neil Watson - PeerSpot reviewer
Information Technology Consultant at Evolve
MSP
Monitoring solution that alerts when there is a problem and integrates across multiple systems
  • "The most valuable feature is the ability to integrate across multiple systems."
  • "One of the challenges is dealing with OCR text recognition."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for IT service checks within our daily process automation.  It monitors consoles and raises alerts when things need to be alerted. For example, when a business rule is broken then an alert is raised, or if we are looking at the backup management and server availability and there is a problem with the backup then we raise an alert.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to integrate across multiple systems. For example between web portals, excel and email.  The ability to write a process that covers all of those different areas of technology.

What needs improvement?

One of the challenges is dealing with OCR text recognition. They link out to Google, IBM, and Microsoft AI services for text recognition. This area needs to continue to improve because recognizing forms and what's on a form, and then when you try to translate that into information that you can use, is very difficult. I have not been able to make that work. I think that the technology is there, but it would require too much coding and it would be too much of an investment of time to make it work. WinAutomation doesn't have the management abilities for remote management, but we are using Splashtop to access the device that is running the software. In the next release, I would like to see form recognition added. AI form recognition for processing things like invoices and timesheets would be number one.

I have been working with WinAutomation for two months.
Robotic Process Automation (RPA)
May 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Automation Anywhere, UiPath and others in Robotic Process Automation (RPA). Updated: May 2022.
598,116 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's a stable solution.

We are not scaling it much beyond a single work station, but it does seem to be scalable. We have two users in our company. There are plans to increase our usage.

I have only used technical support a few times but they have been good.

Previously, we were not working with other similar products.

The initial setup was straightforward and it only took a few minutes to deploy.

This solution is reasonably priced and offers a free trial period.

We looked at some other tools, but we chose WinAutomation because it was a low cost of entry and a free trial.

What other advice do I have?

It takes slightly longer than you would expect to set something up that's resilient. Building resilience takes as long as building in the logic. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.

Geroge Tzifas - PeerSpot reviewer
Chief Operating Officer at NGMROBOTICS LTD
An inexpensive and scalable way to create custom automations
  • "The solution is very easy to use. It's a code three platform that works very easily with documents to create custom automations."
  • "The solution could use some more advanced AI tools. It's one of the solution's only weaknesses."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for operations related to HR activity.

What is most valuable?

WinAutomation is very easy to use. It's a code three platform that works very easily with documents to create custom automations.

It also allows users to share their automations with colleagues, so users can send and receive automations quite easily.

What needs improvement?

At this time, I can't say the solution is lacking any features.

I've been using the solution for the past three years.

The stability of the solution is very good. We've been very happy with it in general.

It's very easy to scale the solution, and at a very low cost as well. Scaling isn't expensive at all.

Currently, we have nine users on the solution. They are all heads of departments.

We've been in touch with technical support often. I'd rate their support as excellent. We've been very satisfied with them so far.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup is very straightforward. The products are basically plug-and-play in design. It makes it very easy to implement everything.

In our case, for deployment, it took us a month from trial to scale.

We handled the implementation in-house. Our internal team was able to manage the deployment.

The solution is relatively inexpensive.

We did evaluate other major players like Automation Anywhere, among others.

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with Softomotive.

We're currently using the 2019 version of the solution.

I would recommend the solution to those who want to start exploring RPA and the benefit of RPA without investing too much money. It's a helpful way to get to know the technology.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Robotic Process Automation (RPA)
May 2022
598,116 professionals have used our research since 2012.
CosminArdeleanu - PeerSpot reviewer
CEO at Consilio
Simple, easy to implement, and offers fair pricing
  • "The pricing of the solution is competitive, which is good for the Romanian market."
  • "The solution could offer more specific training. There should be more examples of what the functions can do and more instructions and explanations to the process."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for back-office activities and processing.

What is most valuable?

The ease of use is the solution's most valuable aspect. It's easy to configure and write code on it.

The solution is simple, it's not complicated.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for about one year.

The solution is relatively stable. I'd rate it seven out of ten.

The solution could be scalable, but it depends on the design process. Currently, I'm the only one using the solution in our company. I use it every day.

Technical support has been okay. They are quite prompt, but I was hoping they would provide more in-depth explanations concerning the process.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup was straightforward. Deployment only takes a few minutes.

We handled the implementation ourselves.

We did a bit of market research before ultimately choosing this solution. Most of the information we found was in the public domain. We found that costs were transparent when looking at this solution.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is web-based. We're partners with WinAutomation.

I'd advise others to be patient and learn how to program it properly. The results will come, but there will be a learning curve.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Gaurav Satle - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Lead & Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to set up but needs better recommendation features and not very user friendly
  • "The solution is comparatively quick to deploy for making smaller automation processes."
  • "We find the solution to be not that user-friendly, and might be using the older version, which really did not have a lot of features, so my review is mostly based on the older version."

What is most valuable?

The solution has drag and drop features, and a development console that's in simple English, so even a non-tech can understand what the code means.

It has controls in boxes, just like Automation Anywhere, which helps alert the developer to take care of the smaller-level details which reduce errors. It's a very good feature.

What needs improvement?

The solution's recommendation feature needs improvement. So many times it fails, which tells us that although the hardware configuration and software configuration and the environment stay the same, we should expect the automation tool to recognize images correctly, but it does not. There have been issues in which it has failed, and it remains a concern. At times, it crashes, for some unknown reason. We avoid automating any complex automation processes.

WinAutomation could work on a simpler process of providing a development of something that proactively tells us what is wrong in the code, because what is happening right now is that we make the scripting code in some other place and some other control, and we identify errors over there. We simply copy it to this control, which is not even providing any color-coding, or any other assistance to the developers. Copying it from elsewhere is necessary to pick up any errors with ease.

I've been using the solution since 2015.

We were really fortunate to use the version which has extended the EXEs, so once we make a development in the studio and we compile it, and make an EXE out of it, that EXE can be used on any number of systems. When it comes to identifying images and creating logic based on those images, or moving the mouse to an image, the image recognition randomly fails for unknown reasons, although we've had a lot of assistance around it, and the developers have put a lot of effort to make a way around it, but when the image recognitions fail, it just stays on the system.

It definitely is a scalable solution. The components that we use enable us to deploy as many  EXEs on the system as we would like.

We have about four people working on the solution. In terms of execution, so the development team develops robots and creates and compiles EXEs, and the execution team actually executes manually. It is an assisted automation, it's not fully automated, so the trigger has to be done manually.

In terms of technical support, response times were not that great, and the technical documentation provided was very limited. There is no forum where one could read other experiences or share advice.

There was a community when WinAutomation formed, but eventually, when the older versions ended support it went away.

We're pretty much left on our own to find solutions to problems at this point. They should at least provide documentation.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

It was easy to wait for the deployment of the mission tasks. It's a quick implementation. When it comes to complex processes, there's a lot of handoffs required, and that's when it becomes a little bit difficult to manage. I'm sure with the new version they have improved this feature.

How long deployment takes depends on the complexity of the processes and the amount of testing planned. It takes a couple of days for a smaller process, and possibly up to two weeks for complex ones.

What other advice do I have?

We've used versions 4.0, 5.1, and 6.0 as well. We use the on-premises deployment model.

In terms of advice I'd give to others, I'd say, first of all, they should make sure they are implementing the most recent version, not the old version that I have used.

However, I'd suggest having a limited scope and to plan to work meticulously because if there is a bigger project, instead of making something wherein you're not able to reuse the components which you have already done for one project, and reuse it for the other project, a lot of time is wasted in copy-pasting code.

I'd rate the solution six out of ten.

Download our free Robotic Process Automation (RPA) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Automation Anywhere, UiPath, and more!
Updated: May 2022