IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

VMware Cloud Foundation OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

VMware Cloud Foundation is #2 ranked solution in top Hybrid Cloud Computing Platforms. PeerSpot users give VMware Cloud Foundation an average rating of 8 out of 10. VMware Cloud Foundation is most commonly compared to Azure Stack: VMware Cloud Foundation vs Azure Stack. VMware Cloud Foundation is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 70% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.
VMware Cloud Foundation Buyer's Guide

Download the VMware Cloud Foundation Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is VMware Cloud Foundation?

VMware Cloud Foundation makes it easy to deploy and run a hybrid cloud. VMware Cloud Foundation provides integrated cloud infrastructure (compute, storage, networking, and security) and cloud management services to run enterprise applications in both private and public environments.

VMware Cloud Foundation Customers
ricoh, dell technologies, sky
VMware Cloud Foundation Video

VMware Cloud Foundation Pricing Advice

What users are saying about VMware Cloud Foundation pricing:
  • "The price of VMware Cloud Foundation is a bit high. However, it comes with a lot of useful features and can handle a lot of operational complexity. Overall the price can be seen as being fair for what it offers."
  • "VMware Cloud Foundation is overpriced, but I think we get what we pay for."
  • "There is an annual license required to use the solution."
  • "The pricing of VMware Cloud Foundation could improve, it is expensive."
  • VMware Cloud Foundation Reviews

SenthilKumarGM - PeerSpot reviewer
    System Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
    Beneficial life-cycle and password management, but bugs could be reduced
    • "VMware Cloud Foundation's most valuable features are password and certificate management. The SDDC manager tool is the front tool we are using to manage the entire VCF stack. In the SDDC manager, we can able to rotate, and update the passwords of all users. Anything in the VMware portfolio, we can manage from a single dashboard and we have various data centers. We have connected everything into one Federation. From one single place, we are managing our entire virtual interactions."
    • "In the early adoption of VMware Cloud Foundation, we have seen minor problems. For example, in our Federation, I see the single pane of glass where we need to manage everything, which is good. However, internally, we have a Kafka database that is distributed by the database used by the SDDC manager. During the distribution and synchronization, there is some issue and we need to stop the process."

What is our primary use case?

We have various on-premise environments. To upgrade user lifecycle management of those standalone environments with repeated patch upgrades, hardware lifecycle management, and software lifecycle management. For all of these issues, we use VMware Cloud Foundation because it does everything.  The interoperability checkings, and supportability matrix, it does internally and gives recommendations automatically on what type of hardware we're using. For example, it gives automatic recommendations of all the hardware lifecycle drivers, and firmware, including the software stack.

How has it helped my organization?

VMware Cloud Foundation reduces time complexity for the VMware administrator.

What is most valuable?

VMware Cloud Foundation's most valuable features are password and certificate management. The SDDC manager tool is the front tool we are using to manage the entire VCF stack. In the SDDC manager, we can able to rotate, and update the passwords of all users. Anything in the VMware portfolio, we can manage from a single dashboard and we have various data centers. We have connected everything into one Federation. From one single place, we are managing our entire virtual interactions.

What needs improvement?

In the early adoption of VMware Cloud Foundation, we have seen minor problems. For example, in our Federation, I see the single pane of glass where we need to manage everything, which is good. However, internally, we have a Kafka database that is distributed by the database used by the SDDC manager. During the distribution and synchronization, there is some issue and we need to stop the process.  There are some other upgrade issues because it includes a lot of solutions, such as ESXi, NSX-T, vSAN, and some other components. The problem is it does not automatically upgrade. If it fails somewhere, we are stuck there. Until we solve this problem, we cannot move on to the next step, we are seeing some bugs, but those issues are being addressed in the later versions. Every version has some issues, but it has been addressed in the next version. In the earlier versions, we've seen a lot of issues, but VMware has done a lot of good progress in resolving them. The latest resolved whatever issues we have seen thus far. This is why why we are upgrading to the latest version, which is 4.5. Initially, we are in a physical space and moved to a virtual one. From there, we are moving towards cloud and container-based environments. We don't have any future VCF to manage the containers. We have to come back to the vCenter to manage everything. If the features, could be inbuilt and available on the SDDC manager which is a VMware Cloud Foundation solution, it would be great.
    VMware Cloud Foundation
    June 2022
    Learn what your peers think about VMware Cloud Foundation. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
    610,336 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using VMware Cloud Foundation(VCF) for approximately one year.

The performance and stability of VMware Cloud Foundation are good. There have been some minor issues but overall the solution is good.

VMware Cloud Foundation is easy to scale out. We have approximately 50 people using the solution in my organization.

We have a good relationship with the vendor and if we have any issue we are looked after, and our issue gets resolved. I would rate the support of VMware Cloud Foundation a four out of five.

We have previously used Citrix XenServer. We started using VMware version 6.0 and move to 6.5, and 6.7, and are now using 7.0. We later implemented VMware Cloud Foundation. We switched to VMware because we know they are a good vendor in the market for virtualization. We have many public vendors, but in a private cloud, VMware is good, they penetrated well in the market. Our business use cases match nicely with VMware virtualization.

For the implementation of VMware Cloud Foundation, you need to have data center knowledge. Additionally, having network knowledge is very important. You need to have multiple skills to deploy VMware Cloud Foundation. It is not very easy to do.  There are a lot of design decisions that need to be made. We need to fill up the Excel sheet. For example, if I am the only one aware of the data center components, but not the networking components, then I cannot deploy VMware Cloud Foundation. Multiple teams need to be involved. A single person cannot deploy this solution from end to end. There need to be multiple storage, networking, and vSphere administrators. The initial setup is a bit complex, if you missed anything in the initial phase, you cannot modify it. You need to tear it apart and you need to redeploy it from scratch. This is one of the substantial pain points. Our full implementation took us approximately five weeks.

We used the help of the solutions architects. However, our in-house team is very good at networking, storage, and vSphere, but the design of VMware Cloud Foundation is a bit complex. We need to have experts from the vendor side.

The price of VMware Cloud Foundation is a bit high. However, it comes with a lot of useful features and can handle a lot of operational complexity. Overall the price can be seen as being fair for what it offers.

What other advice do I have?

If you want to reduce the operational overhead and manage your entire virtual infrastructure from a single pane of glass, then I would recommend VMware Cloud Foundation. It is the best solution to manage our data center virtualization. I rate VMware Cloud Foundation a seven out of ten. I have seen a lot of issues with VMware Cloud Foundation that needs to be resolved. However, we are not using the newest version.

Al Vasek - PeerSpot reviewer
    Executive Business Development Manager, Cloud and Managed Services at ConvergeOne
    MSP
    Reliable with good hyper-converged sizing flexibility and an automated setup
    • "The stability is good."
    • "The solution is quite expensive."

What is our primary use case?

It's a reference architecture. It's based on vSAN Ready Node, however, it basically is tied to VMware in the public cloud, so it has all the VMware components tied to it.

It's a hybrid-based solution, so it's installed on-premise. Basically, you can drag and drop resources without having to do any type of conversions, IP changes, or anything else, into AWS Azure, where they have the VMware workloads running as well as VMware partners that have their VMware public environments up and running. It's that reference architecture that gives you that complete elasticity to be able to transport workloads seamlessly to pretty much anywhere.

What is most valuable?

The solution can scale.

The stability is good.

You can grow in much smaller pieces through hyper-converged, and that's true of all systems. For my customers who had converged infrastructure, when they needed to add just a little bit of access capacity, it was a couple hundred thousand dollars at a minimum to add just a little capacity. This is due to the fact that they had to buy a bigger chunk of capacity, even though they only needed a little bit. Where, with hyper-converged or Cloud Foundation or Nutanix or whomever, you could grow much smaller chunks. You can grow in $20,000 increments versus $150,000 increments.

What needs improvement?

They've improved a lot of the supporting products, like NSX. They have NSX-Ts. They've done a lot of ancillary improvements as it's a conglomerate of products. They have VxRail where the whole platform's automated. Before, you had to say, "Okay, I'm going to have this type of server hardware. And I'm going to have these cards, these individual components." And they all had to line up based on the software. You had to have certain switches as it was all software-defined. Therefore, when you would basically push the scripts down, they had to have supported kernels et cetera. There were only two switches that they used for management. There was a Dell switch and one other obscure switch. Of course, then, you could use your leaf and spine switches. You could use Cisco, Arista, et cetera. However, it was very limited.

That was the tough part. To build out the solution, there was a limited amount of hardware. However, now, it's completely automated. The whole platform now stands up very clean, very automated. They've made it really easy.

The solution is quite expensive.

I've used the solution for five years at this point.

The stability is very good. there are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution scales very well and can get quite sizable. I've had environments where we've had 25,000 plus users on it.

I've dealt with technical support. I actually coached a lot of them myself. I was on the partner development team, therefore, I was involved with it in its infancy period, when it was currently being developed. A lot of that hadn't been out yet. As a partner, I was being brought in to coach the Dell teams and even some of VMware SAs. And that's kind of how I got brought in to a specific contract, as Dell was doing a sale direct and the VMware product development team was really limited. I was, as a partner, basically coaching them on how to position the product and sell it to the customer and everything, and present the whole thing.

A lot of the initial setup is automated depending on what workloads you're running. If you're going to run Horizon on it, which is what a lot of my customers did, that's completely automated. It's kind of like a cloud in the box. A lot of the things are automated.

They maintain the product in terms of providing software updates and things like that. That said, you'd still need someone in the organization or a services partner or something like that to help properly maintain everything.

If you're going from one hyper-converged to another hyper-converged, there's probably not as much in terms of ROI.

It's not a cheap product. It was pretty expensive.

For example, both of my implementations were about $15 million, however, I was displacing solutions that were over $30 million. I was displacing converged infrastructure, like Vblocks from VCE that were costing the customers over $30 million. I was able to really cut that cost in half with the hyper-converged platform. IN that sense, we really saved the client money.

What other advice do I have?

Amongst everything that's out there, I would rate the product a nine out of ten. There's always going to be room for improvement on some things, however, it really hit the mark on a lot of things. The issue is, for example, it's the same thing with Azure Stack - it only works with Azure. However, it scales with pretty much everything VMware. To me, to be a ten out of ten, if you could get it to seamlessly scale into everything Public Cloud, it would be great. Nutanix is trying to do a lot of that, however, there's still some conversion process that has to be done.

VMware Cloud Foundation
    June 2022
    610,336 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Ololade Olotu - PeerSpot reviewer
    Project Manager at Dell EMC
    Easy to set up and great for large organizations with good reliability
    • "Technical support is helpful."
    • "The pricing could be a bit less expensive."

What is our primary use case?

What it does for people is it enables other companies to be able to move their workloads to the cloud, just like Amazon. People can move their workloads to the cloud, however, at this time you are using it, you are actually running the cloud via VMware.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very stable.

The scalability is good.

Technical support is helpful.

The initial setup is easy and doesn't take much manpower.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be a bit less expensive. If it was cheaper, more people would take a look at it.

I've used the solution forever. It's been a very long time.

The solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. The performance has been great.

If it is well deployed, it works well. If it is well managed by the operations team, it stays stable.

The solution is very, very scalable. VMware is designed to scale.

From what I've seen, the large telcos use it a lot depending on their strategy. They use it so that they can host other companies on their network. Some of the banks use it also. These are quite sizeable organizations.

Technical support is fine. You have to have your serial number with you. If you purchase from them, there is a special code given to you, which you have to keep. If you keep the code and you have a problem and you call in, you are attended to on time. However, if you don't have the code, it could be a nightmare.

We did not previously use a different solution.

The initial setup is straightforward, however, the engineer setting it up needs to know the basics and needs to understand what to do at the right time. That said, I've not heard anyone complain.

I'm not sure how long it takes to deploy. I know that, for the engineers working on it, they're able to set it up on time. It shouldn't take too long.

You do not need more than one seasoned deployment guy, an engineer, for the installation. If you have a seasoned deployment engineer, he will be able to get it done for you.

We set it up for so many people, for so many customers.

We would like the licensing to be cheaper.

Right now, users pay yearly subscriptions.

What other advice do I have?

As it is a cloud solution, we are always on the latest version.

I would rate the solution a nine out of ten.

I'd recommend it to other users. Big telecoms are using it, which should give an indication of its efficacy.

CEO at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
    An advanced hybrid cloud platform that is easy to maintain
    • "I like that VMware Cloud Foundation reduces both the installation and setup time from a matter of weeks to hours."
    • "The price could be better. VMware Cloud Foundation is overpriced, but I think we get what we pay for. It would be better if it were cheaper because it would be easier to go to customers and get them to buy it. We'd get more projects, and that would be great."

What is our primary use case?

We use VMware Cloud Foundation to host our in-house data.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to cut down the installation and setup time from weeks to hours or a couple of days.

What is most valuable?

I like that VMware Cloud Foundation reduces both the installation and setup time from a matter of weeks to hours. VMware Cloud Foundation is easy to maintain.

What needs improvement?

The price could be better. VMware Cloud Foundation is overpriced, but I think we get what we pay for. It would be better if it were cheaper because

We have been using VMware Cloud Foundation for three or four years.

Stability is pretty good. All VMware products are stable, and VMware Cloud Foundation is still good.

VMware Cloud Foundation is definitely scalable. We have a few thousand users currently using this solution.

VMware Cloud Foundation is very professional, and I like them.

We used vSphere before we switched to VMware Cloud Foundation. We switched to get more features like NSX and a bunch of extras. We have V3 on the bottom floor, and it's just to get more features, more scalability, and so on. I also find it easier to handle.

I think the initial setup was relatively straightforward. We just had to install it in the cloud. Three of us maintain this solution, and it's pretty easy.

I implemented this solution by myself.

VMware Cloud Foundation is overpriced, but I think we get what we pay for.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend VMware Cloud Foundation to potential users.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give VMware Cloud Foundation an eight.

Mohab Samy - PeerSpot reviewer
    VMware Technician Manager at VAS
    Stable, scalable, and straightforward installation

What is our primary use case?

VMware Cloud Foundation can be used to make private clouds faster than the traditional way. Additionally, it can be used for continuity. If you want to run with Tanzu, you can build a full-stack environment of VMware, such as vSphere, or NSX.

What is most valuable?

You can use VMware Cloud Foundation with hyper-converge.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by being more secure.

I have been using VMware Cloud Foundation for approximately one year.

The solution is stable.

VMware Cloud Foundation is scalable.

In Egypt, we have four customers.

The technical support could improve by being faster.

The installation is straightforward and takes approximately four hours.

Our team did the implementation of the solution. We have a team of two that does the process. You need one person to compute the nodes and one from the network team to set up the networks.

There is an annual license required to use the solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate VMware Cloud Foundation a nine out of ten.

Erez Batish - PeerSpot reviewer
    Advisory Specialist SE - HCI, CI and Cloud Platforms for Central and Eastern Europe at Dell EMC
    Beneficial life-cycle management, scalable, and good support

What is our primary use case?

We are using VMware Cloud Foundation for many types of workloads, such as automation, VDI, general-purpose workloads, and databases.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features in VMware Cloud Foundation are life cycle management and ease of use.

What needs improvement?

VMware Cloud Foundation could be more flexible in terms of supporting other integration and components.

I have been working with VMware Cloud Foundation for approximately three years.

VMware Cloud Foundation is a stable solution.

The scalability of VMware Cloud Foundation is good.

I would rate the support from VMware Cloud Foundation a four out of five.

The amount of people needed to do the implementation of VMware Cloud Foundation depends on the scale. It could be one or it could be ten. However, usually very few people are needed, such as one to three VMware specialists or System administrators.

The pricing of VMware Cloud Foundation could improve, it is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is to do a proper design prior to the deployment and proper sizing.

I rate VMware Cloud Foundation an eight out of ten.