We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Technical asst. at a educational organization with 501-1,000 employees
Has good snapshotting and cloning features
  • "Veeam Backup Replication's snapshotting and cloning are the most valuable features."
  • "The cost needs to be considered."

What is our primary use case?

We have scheduled the backup to be done on our side. At certain intervals, depending on the capability of Veeam, we are doing the replication at a remote site on the same cluster that we use Nutanix as a backup. Basically, we have a Nutanix cluster taking backup of another Nutanix cluster. Outside of this, we are also using Veeam, which is on another machine, or basically another storage.

We have 19 Veeam running on a four-node cluster. Currently, we are using 80% of our RAM capacity and have more CPU and storage available, we still have capacity.

How has it helped my organization?

Before using Veeam and HCI, we were performing the functions physically. We used physical machines to run our services. Hardware failure leads to the pillar of our services. Now we have high organization and we can sustain any failure.

We have found the Veeam function very useful because it saves us a lot of storage.

What is most valuable?

I have been using Veeam Backup for a year and a half.

Veeam is a stable solution.

Veeam is scalable. We can add nodes to scale up, it's a scale of architecture.

We receive very good support from Nutanix.

Prior to Veeam we had physical machines that required manual backup.

The initial setup of Veeam is very straightforward. It took one month to get the production. After the initial deployment, we had to migrate our Veeam from physical to virtual so that took another two months.

We received help from the OEM. After set up it is easy to manage ourselves without help from OEM or any system user.

We have seen a return on our investment within two years. Prior to Veeam, we were doing the work physically, which is costly. We had to buy hardware every time we needed a new service to go to production. Now we have the cluster and can immediately deploy a new Veeam and be up and running immediately.

Veeam Backup Replication is a one time subscription for five years.

We evaluated other options from VMware, Cisco Hyper-V and Nutanix.

What other advice do I have?

The cost needs to be considered.

I would rate Veeam Backup Replication an 8 out of 10.

Software Security Architect at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
High scalability, powerful stability, and best monitoring and performance
  • "Its stability and scalability were the main reasons for going for this solution. It is highly scalable, and its stability is also powerful. It has a friendly interface, and its monitoring and performance are the best in the market."
  • "The orchestration feature can be improved. They can improve the virtual machine orchestration to make it similar to VMware. They can also provide an option to automate the backup and recovery and schedule a backup."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for deploying machine backup and for recovery from a disaster recovery site. We also use it for file backup. For the database backup, we use the software embedded in the SQL Server.

What is most valuable?

Its stability and scalability were the main reasons for going for this solution. It is highly scalable, and its stability is also powerful.

What needs improvement?

The orchestration feature can be improved. They can improve the virtual machine orchestration to make it similar to VMware. They can also provide an option to automate the backup and recovery and schedule a backup.

I have been using this solution for three years.

It is very stable. This is the main reason why we chose Veeam for this client and not VMware.

It is very scalable. This is another reason why we chose Veeam for backup and recovery for this client. It allows us to scale to many other projects. This project is very big. It involves more than 70 virtual machines in the production environment, and it is possible to scale to more than 100 virtual machines.

We didn't face any problems with this solution.

In the past, we also used VMware orchestration for VMware backup and recovery. Veeam is more stable and scalable, and its price is more attractive than VMware.

It was easy for our deployment engineers. The deployment took a maximum of one week. In my company, probably seven engineers are in charge of this. My company has been a large integrator in Romania, and we have expertise in many areas of IT. We have five to seven people for each subdomain in IT.

Its price is reasonable for a big company or a big client. It is not too much. It is cheaper than VMware.

We tested VMware and Veeam solutions, and we chose Veeam for this project because our client is a public institution and required a very stable solution. Veeam is more stable than VMware, and our client preferred Veeam.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Veeam Backup & Replication a nine out of ten. There are some features that they need to improve in Veeam, but it is perfect for most of the companies in Romania.

Learn what your peers think about Veeam Backup & Replication. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
565,689 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Pradeep Kabbur
Technical Lead at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
MSP
Cost effective backup solution that enables the retention of large volumes of data
  • "Veeam Cloud Connect has helped us to reduce the cost of cloud storage for an offsite solution using their archive storage feature."
  • "It would be useful if we could integrate our on-premise VM solution with the Azure workload backup from the existing console. This would assist our customers in reducing the cost of hardware."

What is our primary use case?

We have used this solution to back up our on-premise environment. Currently, we are backing up our VMs VMware.

How has it helped my organization?

Veeam Cloud Connect has helped us to reduce the cost of cloud storage for an offsite solution using their archive storage feature.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature this solution offers us is new and allows us to store data in the cloud and works with Azure and AWS Cloud. This is useful for managing the retention of large volumes of data.

The continuous backup functionality is useful for us to keep all our data up to date.

What needs improvement?

It would be good to have the option to store the data directly to Azure, AWS Cloud or any other cloud solutions.

We would like to have cloud storage set up as a storage solution instead of local storage and have an integrated console for AWS, GCP and Amazon Azure workloads.

I have been using this solution for the last five to six years.

This is a stable solution for a medium-sized environment. We haven't tried it for a large-scale environment but the solution may not perform as well at a larger scale.

The support offered is very good, however, hey recently introduced a ticketing system that requires us to raise a ticket from their portal site and wait for a response. Calling them directly is not possible.

We used to use Commvault as our backup solution. We switched because we wanted to avoid having an offsite team and hardware.

The initial setup is straightforward and very simple. It took three to four hours to set up the environment.

We have like pooled license and act as a seller. We pay approximately $800 per month. There are no additional costs from Veeam directly but the solution does require cloud storage that needs to be paid for.

What other advice do I have?

It's an excellent product that is simple and easy to setup. If you have a medium-sized environment and infrastructure, this is a good solution. There is an option of a 30-day trial to test all the features the solution offers.

Consultant at Daniyals Inc
Easy to install and understand, but it should be specified that the DR component must be out of the domain to protect against ransomware
  • "I like that the solution is very simple to install."
  • "The DR component should be part of the comprehensive package, not separate."

What is our primary use case?

We use the latest version, although I do not recall exactly which one.

We use the solution for our regular backups and replication. While I have proposed that we also use it for DR, I have been informed that this component in Veeam comes with a cost. Perhaps in the future we will do this.

What is most valuable?

I like that the solution is very simple to install. The setup is not complex.

The good thing about the solution is that it's easy to understand, implement and take back data and resources. It's not complex.

What needs improvement?

The solution is too expensive. While I feel the DR component to be very straightforward and simple, I have been informed by management that it is overly expensive, although I do not have the full financial information at my disposal to verify this on my own.

The DR component should be part of the comprehensive package, not separate.

Ransomware attacks present an issue. Veeam should make it clear that the server needs to be out of the domain when it comes to ensuring that there is no ransomware attack or security breach. This is an issue of primary importance. An ex-colleague of mine told me that when a ransomware attack occurred, the re-set team, which dealt with a similar Veeam setup, ensured that the server was not part of the domain. Specifying that the server must be out of the domain will ensure that no ransomware attacks will occur. This needs to be locally authenticated.

I have been using Veeam Backup & Replication over the course of the past year.

It is easy to take back data and resources.

I have not had occasion to make use of tech support, although this was utilized in my previous company, where I was doing incorporation consulting.

The solution is very simple to install. It is not complex. The implementation is easy.

While I do not have all the financial information at my disposal, I understand from management that the DR component is too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We have around 5,000 employees using the solution in my organization.

While the product is good, I would recommend that one be certain to have his Veeam server out of the domain. It should be locally authenticated.

I rate Veeam Backup & Replication as a seven out of ten.

IT Analyst at Deschutes County
Rock solid, great scalability, and great support
  • "It is a rock-solid backup solution. That's all, and that's what we were asking for."
  • "They fixed everything that I was hoping for. It is pretty good. There were a few things in 9.x that I was wishing for, and they came true in version 10. We were looking for retention without having to make a copy job. We're getting ready to migrate m365 to the cloud. I haven't dived into it to make sure, but I wish the m365 backup would integrate into the current console so that we don't have to use two different consoles."

What is our primary use case?

Our use case is about a hundred VMR servers and maybe a handful of agents.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our organization. I don't have to spend all day troubleshooting backups, so it has freed up a lot of time.

What is most valuable?

It is a rock-solid backup solution. That's all, and that's what we were asking for.

What needs improvement?

They fixed everything that I was hoping for. It is pretty good. There were a few things in 9.x that I was wishing for, and they came true in version 10. We were looking for retention without having to make a copy job.

We're getting ready to migrate m365 to the cloud. I haven't dived into it to make sure, but I wish the m365 backup would integrate into the current console so that we don't have to use two different consoles.

I have been using this solution for maybe two years. I use it daily.

It is rock solid. We didn't have any issues.

Its scalability is great. They have scale-out backup repositories where you can add more extents, so it'll grow with you. You just buy more space or another server and then add it into the scale-out backup repository.

Primarily, there are six users, and I'm the primary one. We're all in the operation center.

Their technical support is great. They're quick, very knowledgeable, and very proficient. I would give them a ten out of ten.

We used Unitrends before this, and it was constant babysitting. It worked great for that time period, but once we migrated to VMware, we decided to try one of the industry standards. It has really paid off for us. Unitrends was quite a bit more expensive.

Now that I understand it, it would probably be simple, but initially, it was a kind of interesting concept. It was a little bit complex, and we had a vendor who configured it for us, but we battled it until we got it all configured the way we wanted. The biggest issue was the space for making the backups. We didn't realize how much space we would use.

What other advice do I have?

Don't waste your time. Go ahead and do it.

I would rate Veeam Backup & Replication a ten out of ten.

Systems Technician at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
A reliable backup solution with a straightforward interface
  • "I think the interface is straightforward"
  • "Technical support can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use Veeam to backup all the virtual machines and all the company data.

How has it helped my organization?

It's a backup solution. The only way it has improved the organization is by giving us a modern and robust backup solution. The previous solution wasn't complex, lacked features, and was abandoned.

What is most valuable?

I think the interface is straightforward. It's not complex. The other thing I like is that it usually works very well.

What needs improvement?

Technical support can be improved. Cloud backup could also be better. It would be better if there were an option to back up and then manually attach to storage. It's possible on-premises, but this isn't possible on the cloud.

I've been using Veeam Backup & Replication for two years.

I consider it to be very stable.

It depends on the license. If we have more laws, more data to back up, then it's possible to do it. It's very scalable. It's only an issue of licenses and if it's necessary to increase the bandwidth and if it's necessary to increase the number of proxy servers. It's very scalable, and the product has no limits.

We had issues with the technical support. We had a very good response for some incidents and a very bad one for other incidents. It isn't homogeneous. It's a bit heterogeneous. It has a lot to do with the support engineers that deal with your case.

We did look at other options. The other solutions I was looking at weren't good enough.

The on-premises installation was very simple, but the on cloud installation has been more complex. It took us about one week for on-premises and three weeks for cloud deployment.

We used a reseller to implement the solution.

It's the market price. It isn't expensive, nor is it cheap.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise potential users to consider this solution and analyze it. See if this could be a good solution for their use case. Even though there's room for improvement, I believe it's a good solution.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Veeam Backup & Replication an eight.

Stefan Schneider
Lead Engineer Storage at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Great support, easy restore feature, and quite scalable and stable
  • "Its ease of use for restore is really good. For Exchange, the Exchange Active Directory is great."
  • "The implementation of the features can be improved. Currently, there is no segregation of duty. Normally, any backup software or client service software is implemented in a way where one person is responsible for the implementation of the server, and one is responsible for the client, but Veeam Backup & Replication is not implemented in that way. Therefore, restores don't work like that. The backup guys have to do the restores, which is not a good thing. Its pricing should also be improved. It is quite expensive."

What is our primary use case?

It is used for the virtual environment, which includes virtual Windows servers being on ESX or Hyper-V. It is also used for databases and Exchange in these environments.

We are using version 10. The latest version is 11, but we are not eager to use that because it came out only two weeks ago, and that is not enough for us.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The implementation of the features can be improved. Currently, there is no segregation of duty. Normally, any backup software or client service software is implemented in a way where one person is responsible for the implementation of the server, and one is responsible for the client, but Veeam Backup & Replication is not implemented in that way. Therefore, restores don't work like that. The backup guys have to do the restores, which is not a good thing.

Its pricing should also be improved. It is quite expensive.

I have been using this solution for more than 12 months.

It is quite stable, but you cannot compare it to IBM Spectrum Protect. IBM Spectrum Protect is more stable than Veeam.

It is quite scalable. We are planning to increase its usage. Its scalability is linear. You have more and more virtual systems and fewer physical systems. IBM Spectrum Protect is more for physical systems, and Veeam is for virtual systems.

Their technical support is great. I would rate them a ten out of ten.

It is complex. You certainly need some external guidance for this. The deployment itself is not a big thing. It is the creation of the architecture that is complex. You have to create an architecture that fits your needs.

We can do it ourselves.

Veeam is quite expensive. There are no additional costs to the licensing fees. IBM Spectrum Protect is also expensive.

They should improve its pricing. They raise the price every time there is an increase in the features of the product. They should think twice about that.

We had a look around, but we decided on Veeam.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Veeam Backup & Replication an eight out of ten.

Sergey Erin
Director of Business Development at lancloud
Provides granular restoration, has good replication features, and scales well
  • "The granular restoration that it provides for a business application is most valuable. For example, for Exchange, we can restore a single mailbox or email. We can also do SQL Server restoration and bare-metal recovery for operating systems."
  • "Veeam currently lacks features for backing up to network-attached storage. Veeam Backup & Replication agents do not support S3 storage. Only Veeam Backup & Replication server supports S3 storage."

What is our primary use case?

It is for backup and disaster recovery as a service. It is deployed in our data center, and then we sell the service to our customers.

What is most valuable?

The granular restoration that it provides for a business application is most valuable. For example, for Exchange, we can restore a single mailbox or email. We can also do SQL Server restoration and bare-metal recovery for operating systems.

Replication features are very useful for customers. They can recover the services and move from one data center to another.

What needs improvement?

Veeam currently lacks features for backing up to network-attached storage. Veeam Backup & Replication agents do not support S3 storage. Only Veeam Backup & Replication server supports S3 storage.

We have been using this solution for about five years.

Its stability is good. I would rate it an eight out of 10 in terms of stability.

It scales well. I would rate it an eight out of 10 in terms of scalability.

In our infrastructure, we have hundreds of users. Our customers are from many markets, but its users are from their IT department.

I would rate them an eight out of 10.

It is not complex. It is straightforward. We can deploy it to our customers in about 1 to 2 hours or 1 to 2 days. It depends on a customer's infrastructure.

We deploy it ourselves, and we only use support when we have technical issues with the product. We have three engineers for deployment.

It is very difficult to calculate because it is a backup solution. It is not a business service, which makes it very difficult to calculate the ROI.

We are fine with its pricing policy.

We provide service for our customers, and the licensing is on a monthly basis. They get licenses, computer resources, and our support. Everything is included in a single price.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to test this product before buying it. There are many backup products and services, and they have different features and functionalities. We provide our customers a 30-days trial period to test the product for free, and then they can agree or not agree to use this product.

I would rate it an eight out of 10.

Download our free Veeam Backup & Replication Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.