HPE StoreOnce OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

HPE StoreOnce is the #2 ranked solution in top Disk Based Backup Systems and #4 ranked solution in top Deduplication Software. PeerSpot users give HPE StoreOnce an average rating of 9.2 out of 10. HPE StoreOnce is most commonly compared to Dell PowerProtect DD (Data Domain): HPE StoreOnce vs Dell PowerProtect DD (Data Domain). HPE StoreOnce is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 55% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 21% of all views.

Download the Deduplication Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is HPE StoreOnce?

HP StoreOnce Backup is a data backup solution that provides a consistent, high-performance, scale-out architecture for your entire enterprise. Reduce the amount of backup data capacity by 95 percent, and choose between powerful dedicated appliances for data centers, or flexible virtual appliances for smaller and remote offices.

HPE StoreOnce was previously known as HP StoreOnce.

HPE StoreOnce Customers
Eurobank Serbia
HPE StoreOnce Video

HPE StoreOnce Pricing Advice

What users are saying about HPE StoreOnce pricing:
  • "We have got a perpetual license, and we have access to all the features. If you are using cloud banks, you can store the internal data in HPE Cloud if needed. You can offload the data to the HPE Cloud. It is a licensed product. We have got around 10 TB of cloud bank storage with a one-time payment. We specifically took 10 TB for very critical offsite backups. We can also increase it in blocks if needed."
  • "The licensing schemes could improve in HPE StoreOnce and the price is high. They should reduce the price."
  • HPE StoreOnce Reviews

Marc Schreurs - PeerSpot reviewer
    Founder & Owner at SAN Gateway
    Easy to set up with great deduplication and easy expansion capabilities
    • "The solution is stable."
    • "One item I wanted to see is SSD drives as a cache, and that was, for a time, still lacking in StoreOnce, however, they have done it now. It's not available yet, however, it will be shortly."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for a backup. Today, we are using Micro Focus Data Protector, which is a former HPE product, however, we are migrating Convault.

What is most valuable?

There are a few great features. Obviously, deduplication is a big one. There are the catalyst stores that we are using. It's a feature that does what we need it to do. We've been using the 5100 for quite some time with a lot of success and no issues. However, we were looking, at first, at expanding, however, we couldn't expand them anymore as they were at end of life. Now we are looking at the new generation, the latest, 5260.

It is easy to set up the product.

The solution is stable.

You can easily scale the solution.

What needs improvement?

I haven't come across any missing features.

One item I wanted to see is SSD drives as a cache. Data is taken in by the subsystem on SSD drives and as later on offloaded to spinning media. That was a feature that you could already see in primary storage, and that was, for a time, still lacking in StoreOnce, however, they have done it now. It's not available yet, however, it will be shortly.

I, myself, worked for HPE for 34 years. Now, I'm working as an independent consultant. I'm working at a pharmaceutical company and they've been using it for four years.

Deduplication Software
    November 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Dell Technologies, Veritas and others in Deduplication Software. Updated: November 2022.
    653,757 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is an absolutely stable solution. We haven't had any issues. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. it's reliable.

The solution is definitely scalable, to the extent that we need it. For our purposes, it is definitely scalable enough. It's modular enough. You can add, with the 5260, 192 terabytes of raw capacity that you can extend one shelf at a time.

Technical support is helpful, however, an advantage that I have is that I know the company inside out. I still have contact with my former colleagues there. They do their job. They are helpful and responsive.

The solution is easy to set up. It's not complex or difficult. I'd rate it nine out of ten in terms of ease of implementation.

I'm not into financials. I'm a technical guy. I just help with planning and designing a solution, and then others decide on pricing and configuration. I'm working as an external consultant, therefore, I don't have any decision-making there.

I don't have any practical experience with many other solutions. Coming out of HPE, going to work as an independent consultant in a company that is using a lot of HPE products, I'm obviously quite satisfied that they are using StoreOnce, and they will keep on using it.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of the version we are using, we have the StoreOnce 5100 and now we're looking at the StoreOnce 5260.

I'd recommend the solution to others. It has the features that we require and the features that, are required by a lot of companies that have a lot of data today. It's all about data. Data requirements are booming in the primary storage market and storage subsystems. Obviously, to be protected, you need to back up the data. And there, it does what it needs to do. There are petabytes of user data that you can store on a terabyte type back up to the disk subsystem.

That said, if you go to medium-sized companies or small-sized companies, probably there will be cheaper and smaller-scale options. For instance, the StoreOnce that we are using, are long connected, so they are accessed through the network, however, they're also connected through a SUMP, so a storage area network. That is something that you find mostly in the bigger companies that have the financial means to buy these types of subsystems. It would be depending on size and requirements. For bigger organizations, therefore, I would definitely advise they go for this product.

I would rate the product nine out of ten.

Asanka Karunanayake - PeerSpot reviewer
    Head of Hosting & LAN Services at Lanka Communication Services (Pvt) Ltd.
    Very reliable, good deduplication and compression ratio, and supports the HPE Catalyst protocol
    • "Deduplication and compression are in a good ratio. It supports the HPE Catalyst protocol, which is much faster than NFS and other protocols. We use CommVault and Veeam, and these two solutions support the Catalyst protocol very well and are integrated at high speed. It is faster than normal access."
    • "When it comes to upgrading, it always goes block-wise. One block is 48 TB raw capacity. It would be good if they can include a smaller capacity for SMB customers. Currently, it is not possible to increase in a smaller capacity. You have to buy the exact same unit. It would be great if they can provide a smaller next block. There are around 20 hard disks, and it would be really helpful if we can add 10 hard disks initially and 10 hard disks later."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our virtual workload back up. We are also a service provider, and we provide backup assistance to clients. We use StoreOnce for that backup too.

What is most valuable?

Deduplication and compression are in a good ratio. It supports the HPE Catalyst protocol, which is much faster than NFS and other protocols. We use CommVault and Veeam, and these two solutions support the Catalyst protocol very well and are integrated at high speed. It is faster than normal access.

What needs improvement?

When it comes to upgrading, it always goes block-wise. One block is 48 TB raw capacity. It would be good if they can include a smaller capacity for SMB customers. Currently, it is not possible to increase in a smaller capacity. You have to buy the exact same unit. It would be great if they can provide a smaller next block.

There are around 20 hard disks, and it would be really helpful if we can add 10 hard disks initially and 10 hard disks later.

I have been using this solution for a month. We bought it very recently.

It is a very reliable solution.

You can't increase the hard disk size. We bought two units. We have one unit connected to another unit. We have got ample capacity so far, and there is no need to increase it.

Currently, we have around 15 users. We have bought it for the backup of our customers. When it comes to customers, there are hundreds of customers.

They have been very responsive.

It was very straightforward. We knew the requirements, so we segmented it as required.

We have got a perpetual license, and we have access to all the features.

If you are using cloud banks, you can store the internal data in HPE Cloud if needed. You can offload the data to the HPE Cloud. It is a licensed product. We have got around 10 TB of cloud bank storage with a one-time payment. We specifically took 10 TB for very critical offsite backups. We can also increase it in blocks if needed.

We evaluated EMC Data Domain. We decided to go with StoreOnce because it was more cost-effective and suitable for our budget. Its interface was also easy to use.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. For higher data capacity, we can have around 90 terabytes, and roughly, we can take 75 terabytes of effective capacity. It can do deduplication. As per the papers, it will do 20:1, which may not be realistic, but we have seen 8:1 kind of deduplication. Even if it was 2:1, it will be 140. So, deduplication gives a massive capacity.

I would rate HPE StoreOnce a nine out of ten. It has been very good so far.

Deduplication Software
    November 2022
    653,757 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Antonio Chuquimarca - PeerSpot reviewer
    Project and Services Manager at Gensystems
    Delivers robust, flexible enterprise-wide data protection
    • "The hardware is strong and all the equipment has a good infrastructure. Personally, I think it's the best storage product in HPE for small to medium-sized businesses."
    • "HPE StoreOnce should come with a detailed installation guide."

What is our primary use case?

Our client is a government office. They use StoreOnce to store information about the weather as they specialize in meteorology data.

Most of our clients are medium-sized enterprises.

What is most valuable?

I think it's a good solution. The hardware is strong and all the equipment has a good infrastructure. Personally, I think it's the best storage product in HPE for small to medium-sized businesses.

What needs improvement?

HPE StoreOnce should come with a detailed installation guide.

I have been using HPE StoreOnce for two weeks.

With StoreOnce, there are many different options for increasing the storage. I believe it's a good solution if a company needs more space for a reasonable price — it's easy to scale this solution.

The technical support is good. I used their technical support for assistance when I was trying to download the console management software — they resolved that problem in an hour or so.

StoreOnce is very easy to install. No specialized software is required in the installation process. Deployment is also very easy.

The initial setup is not complex but it really depends on the type of server. For example, when you use a normal server, it requires a unique process to install the complete solution. With the StoreOnce server, you have to use another method to install the solution because it's very different. This server has its own software pre-installed in the equipment, so it's different than a normal server.

Overall, deployment took two days. One day to install the hardware, and another day to deploy the software.

Our client evaluated Dell, Lenovo, and Synology. Synology is a cheaper solution for storing data. However, our client was looking for reliable equipment with full-support — Synology doesn't come with support. With Dell and Lenovo, it was also complicated to obtain support in Ecuador. HPE provides the best support in Ecuador.

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend HPE StoreOnce — it's a good product. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give HPE StoreOnce a rating of ten.

Mostafa Atrash - PeerSpot reviewer
    Sr. Enterprise Solutions Engineer at Palpay
    An excellent backup storage solution that's easy to use and offers great stability
    • "The initial setup is one of the most user-friendly B2B user solutions. It's good, it's easy. Deployment usually takes less than one day. You only need one person for deployment and maintenance."
    • "The solution should continue to refine its integration capabilities. I also see they are starting to use cloud integration as well, which is good, but they should do more to integrate with it."

What is our primary use case?

We implement the full data centre - from A-Z. Our clients typically use the solution as a backup data destination.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of the solution is the catalyst feature. It can integrate with various other backup solutions. also HPE introduced the cloud bank that can provide cloud storage for your data.

What needs improvement?

The solution should continue to refine its integration capabilities. I also see they are starting to use cloud integration as well, which is good, but they should do more to integrate with it.

I've been selling the solution for 5 years now.

The solution is very stable.

catalyst integration can give you unmatchable performance.

Technical support is good. If it's not good we make it good because we, as a partner, offer technical support ourselves.

Most of our customers are switching from other backup solutions. Many have switched, for example, from EMC Data Domain. It was the most popular in our country at one time but many people are moving to StoreOnce.

The initial setup is one of the most user-friendly B2B user solutions. It's good, it's easy. Deployment usually takes less than one day. You only need one person for deployment and maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

We mainly work with the on-premises deployment model. We're an HPE partner.

I would advise new users to check the integration if they already have a data solution in place.

I would rate the solution ten out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

Other
    Technical Specialist at Pouyan Pardazesh Tehran Co
    Reseller
    Reliable and easy to expand but the initial setup could be easier

What is our primary use case?

The product is primarily used for recovering data, backup storage, backup solutions, and, in some cases, virtualization.

What is most valuable?

The product is stable.

The scalability is very good.

Technical support is okay.

What needs improvement?

It's all pretty perfect. There are no missing features.

The solution could always be less expensive.

The initial setup is difficult.

I've used the solution for one to two months.

The product is stable. There are no bugs or glitches. it doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable and the performance is good.

The product can scale if you need it to.

We have 50 or 60 clients using the product.

Technical support is pretty good. We are satisfied with the level of service we got.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

The initial setup is quite complex and difficult. It's not simple or straightforward.

The last time I implemented the solution, it took me an hour or two to deploy.

The product could be more affordable. We typically order the license before we begin with the installation.

What other advice do I have?

I didn't use it for myself. I just sell them to clients.

I would rate the solution a seven out of ten overall.

Mir Mohammed Khalid Ali - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technical Consultant at Intelligent Business Solutions
    Configuration has been greatly simplified; deduplication feature is excellent

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for deduplication of the backup. We have a professional partnership with HPE and I'm a technical consultant.

What is most valuable?

I am already well-versed with the solution and configuration of the product - it's been simplified over time which is great. I find the deduplication feature the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see the cloud integration simplified. It would also be good if they could reduce the cost of the product.

I've been using this solution for the past 10 years.

It's a stable solution.

The solution is scalable.

The technical support of HPE is very, very, very good.

The initial setup is straightforward.

Everybody would like the cost to be minimized.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend this product.

I rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Mansoor Hafeez - PeerSpot reviewer
    Manager Information Technology Operations at a consumer goods company with 51-200 employees
    Useful virtual drive, good support, and simple setup

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of HPE StoreOnce is the virtual drive.

What needs improvement?

HPE StoreOnce could improve the capacity support.

I have been using HPE StoreOnce for approximately five years.

HPE StoreOnce is stable.

HPE StoreOnce is scalable in general, but it all depends on your requirement. If this solution was to be used in a large environment with many queries it would have difficulties.

I have used the support from HPE StoreOnce.

I rate the support from HPE StoreOnce a five out of five.

The initial setup of HPE StoreOnce is simple.

We did the implementation of HPE StoreOnce in-house.

The licensing schemes could improve in HPE StoreOnce and the price is high. They should reduce the price.

What other advice do I have?

I rate HPE StoreOnce an eight out of ten.

Domenico-Vizzoca - PeerSpot reviewer
    Delivery and Presales Manager at Harpaitalia italia
    Quick configuration, highly scalable, and stable

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of HPE StoreOnce are the single storage, disaster recovery, and configuration. Additionally, the feature to connect two stages together is useful.

I have been using HPE StoreOnce for approximately 10 years.

HPE StoreOnce works well, it is stable.

The scalability of HPE StoreOnce is excellent.

I am the only one using this solution in my organization.

It is difficult to solve issues with this solution remotely. I prefer to use the knowledge base platforms. The response time could improve.

I have not used other solutions prior to HPE StoreOnce.

The initial setup of HPE StoreOnce is easy and the configuration is quick. It took 30 minutes to implement.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution to others.

I rate HPE StoreOnce a nine out of ten.

Download our free Deduplication Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Dell Technologies, Veritas, and more!
    Updated: November 2022