Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Sophos Cyberoam UTM OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Sophos Cyberoam UTM is #6 ranked solution in top Unified Threat Management (UTM) tools. PeerSpot users give Sophos Cyberoam UTM an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Sophos Cyberoam UTM is most commonly compared to Fortinet FortiGate: Sophos Cyberoam UTM vs Fortinet FortiGate. Sophos Cyberoam UTM is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 48% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 28% of all views.
Sophos Cyberoam UTM Buyer's Guide

Download the Sophos Cyberoam UTM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Sophos Cyberoam UTM?
Cyberoam Unified Threat Management hardware appliances offer comprehensive security to organizations, ranging from large enterprises to small and branch offices. Multiple security features integrated over a single, Layer 8 Identity-based platform make security simple, yet highly effective.
Sophos Cyberoam UTM Customers
Gulf Corporation for Technology, Maridive & Oil Services, Fidelity Bank, Petra University, Capital FM Kenya, Safari Park Hotel and Casino, Mayfair Casino, Pacific International Lines, Mozambique Ministry of Education, University of Namibia, Royal Hospital for Neuro-disability, University of Hawai, New Delhi Municipal Council
Sophos Cyberoam UTM Video

Sophos Cyberoam UTM Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Sophos Cyberoam UTM pricing:
  • "We pay for licensing the solution. It's my understanding that it is not overly expensive. It may be somewhere around $2,000 for a license."
  • "The pricing for this product is good. Its pricing is very low, enticing small businesses to purchase it over its competitors."
  • "We just use the standard package."
  • "There are many options for payment of the subscription license. You purchase a subscription every one, two, or three years. You can also have monthly subscriptions but we typically offer subscriptions for three years because from the financial perspective it is better to have a three-year subscription."
  • "The licensing is on an annual basis and is very reasonably priced."
  • Sophos Cyberoam UTM Reviews

Head of IT at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Reliable, easy to set up, and excellent for remote access with the VPN
    • "The solution is excellent for web and application filtering and remote access with the VPN."
    • "Sometimes, during part of the configuration, if you don't have a lot of technical knowledge, then you may struggle a bit to configure it."

What is our primary use case?

It's a UTM device, unified threat management, and we use it for web and application filtering and of course to scan the traffic that comes from the internet to the LAN. Due to the pandemic issues and people working from home, a lot of these devices were configured for the SSL VPN.

What is most valuable?

The endpoint protection part of the product can all be centrally managed from the cloud as well. Even the firewall, as an MSP, can be configured and then managed from the cloud.

The solution is excellent for web and application filtering and remote access with the VPN.

The initial setup is pretty easy.

The solution is stable and reliable.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes, during part of the configuration, if you don't have a lot of technical knowledge, then you may struggle a bit to configure it - especially for the exit through the internal server. When you are doing the business application publishing and if you don't know much of the port forwarding or how the business application configuration is done, then you may struggle a bit.

The pricing could always be better. It would make it a win-win for everyone.

I'm currently configuring one right now. I've been using the solution for a while.

Sophos Cyberoam UTM
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Sophos Cyberoam UTM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    634,775 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is very stable and reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

There are modular firewalls. The entry-level devices do not have the slot for adding more network ports or things like that. Therefore, it depends on the organization as to what level of configuration they want. If it's a small organization, then the entry-level product, something like XG86 or XG115 et cetera, all those are sufficient. However, if it's an organization that requires adding more ports or more cards to their plans, then starting with an appliance version XG125 is ideal as it has the optional modular port whereby you can add additional cards.

Technical support is okay. I had issues with the technical support in that they did not respond on time. However, we have to deal with the different time zones.

The solution is pretty straightforward. Within 10 minutes, it was put in production on the network.

In-house certified team implementation

Licensing is on a yearly basis. They also offer a month-to-month extension if required. After 12 months, if your license expires and you want to exchange it for one month or two months, then that is possible as well.

The pricing on the partner portals is okay. The challenge comes as there's sort of a monopoly for the distributor in Tanzania. There is just one distributor and that is where the challenge comes. Sometimes the distributor is out of stock or they set up their own freight charges. Sometimes they're out of stock and the stock takes maybe four to six weeks and is then delayed. Basically, the challenge comes up when the distributor is out of stock.

Before choosing this option, we looked at Cisco ASA, Fortinet, and Juniper.

What other advice do I have?

We're a gold partner. We configure it for our clients on-premises.

Cyberoam was actually taken over by Sophos about three years ago.

The latest versions were announced just about a few weeks ago, if not more. It was the XGS Firewall. So what I'm configuring right now is a Sophos XG firewall.

It's just a firewall. Basically, it's the hardware. Either you have the hardware or you can have it as a virtual machine.

I'd recommend the solution to other users.

I'd rate the product at a nine out of ten.

Science Technician at a government with 201-500 employees
    Easy installation with good load balancers but needs better documentation
    • "The solution has good load balancers."
    • "There needs to be more documentation that users can access to help them understand the solution or troubleshoot as necessary."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for its firewall capabilities. We use it to make a firewall for the network and the two main computers as well as our web pages.

What is most valuable?

The solution works really well overall.

It's quite easy to configure everything, which is a great selling point for us. You can easily adjust the users and load balances, for example. We can make our own rules and input as many as we like.

The firewall is very good. It provides a nice amount of security.

The solution has good load balancers.

We've found the solution to be very stable.

So far, we've found the scalability to be acceptable.

The installation process is pretty easy.

What needs improvement?

A user needs to do some training on the solution in order to take full advantage of the product.

There needs to be more documentation that users can access to help them understand the solution or troubleshoot as necessary. Right now, this is lacking quite a bit.

Beyond that, there aren't really any missing features that I can recall. I can't speak to what I would like to see in a future release.

The stability of the solution is quite good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable and offers us a good performance.

The product is quite scalable. If a company needs to scale it up, it can do so. It's not a problem.

We have at least 500 users on the product currently.

I don't have any experience with technical support. I have never used them and therefore can't speak to how responsive or knowledgeable they might be.

We used to use Kerio Control. I actually liked using it, however, we only had it for about eight or nine months before moving off of it. That said, I didn't have the skills to manage the solution properly.

We have found the initial installation process to be straightforward and easy. It's not overly complex or difficult. A company should be able to manage it rather easily.

If you connect it then you can adjust the web page and the IP and you can make a batch configuration. Then you can simply connect to the tower. It's not hard.

The deployment maybe took three or so hours. It wasn't a long amount of time. That includes handling all of the configurations as well.

We have five members that make up a technical team that can handle deployment and maintenance. Two are administrators. One is a security admin and the other is a network admin. Those are the two that mostly manage everything and have the rights to do so.

At the time, we used a consultant to assist us in the process. They were quite knowledgeable and helped a lot.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure of which version of the solution we're using.

I'd recommend the solution.

I would rate it at least a seven out of ten. It's a pretty good solution and we're mostly happy with it.

Sophos Cyberoam UTM
    September 2022
    634,775 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Nishant Kumar - PeerSpot reviewer
    Network Engineer at BILL SMITH GROUP, INC
    Low priced solution with internet access blocking feature
    • "I find Sophos Cyberoam UTM very good. I like the feature of being able to block off Mac IDs that host users. For example, you have a Mac or Windows laptop and you created a hotspot. Other devices like mobiles and tablets e.g. iPads connected to that hotspot. We can block those devices that connected to the hotspot we created, only through Sophos. It's a good feature we didn't find in other UTMs."
    • "The product had a hang issue. We needed to reboot, recreate the image, and reconfigure the previous image because the product hanged frequently."

What is our primary use case?

We used it for the POC so we tried it. We used it continuously for testing purposes for four to five months.

What is most valuable?

I find Sophos very good. What I like about it is that users can make hotspots in Mac and Windows systems through this solution.

I also like the feature of being able to block off Mac IDs that host users. For example, you have a Mac or Windows laptop and you created a hotspot. Other devices like mobiles and tablets e.g. iPads connected to that hotspot. We can block those devices that are connected to the hotspot we created, only through Sophos.

It's a good feature we didn't find in other UTMs.

What needs improvement?

The product had a hang issue. We needed to reboot, recreate the image, and reconfigure the previous image because the product hanged frequently.

Being able to block applications and services could also be a product improvement.

We used this solution for four to five months.

The stability of this product is very good.

I find the scalability of this product very good.

Our experience with technical support is not good. I didn't understand if there was an issue with the physical device, or if it was a technical issue, or if it was their technical support. If our issues were properly managed, for sure we will purchase again, but we did not purchase because technical support is not good. They're not supportive as well.

The initial setup of this solution was straightforward.

We deployed it both in-house and through the vendor team.

In my team, I am capable of implementing Sophos. I tried implementing it with the vendor team who didn't have much of an idea and also saw that we weren't getting enough support from the Sophos technical team.

Suppose we have two side-to-side VPNs and we're using cloud servers. For example, my requirement is one public IP. If I go in any server part in the cloud, then I want one IP for sending data, while the other IP would be used for receiving data.

Sophos technical support couldn't help. Suppose we are already configured things on our Cisco router. They had no idea how to move the Cisco device configuration in Sophos. That was a big concern.

We deployed it physically via hardware, particularly the router, and not via cloud.

I evaluated Cisco Meraki.

What other advice do I have?

We got was the PUC part only. We are not using it right now. We are currently using ASA.

The product often had hang issues which was why we stopped using it. We will purchase again if there were no hardware issues.

The pricing for this product is good. Though its quality may not be that good, its pricing is very low, enticing small businesses to purchase it over its competitors.

I'm giving it a rating of eight out of ten because the product is really good, but you need to prepare the team, including the team handling the vendors because there are too many devices in the market. Everyone in the team needs to know how to move these things in Sophos devices, or in Sophos cloud-based technologies and application software.

Renu Arora - PeerSpot reviewer
    Sr. IT & Admin Officer at Financial Management Service Foundation
    Security shield that requires little maintenance after setup is completed
    • "We are using it as a security shield. It does not allow access before that in case we have restricted a few things from users, so it helps me in that."
    • "I don't know whether this will be included in an upgrade, but I would like to get the user utility, like seeing where the users are using more of the data."

What is our primary use case?

We are connected through Cyberoam so you have to pass through Cyberoam to connect to our network.

The solution is on-prem. It's basically on the network.

What is most valuable?

We are using it as a security shield. It does not allow access before that in case we have restricted a few things from users, so it helps me in that.

What needs improvement?

I don't know whether this will be included in an upgrade, but I would like to get the user utility, like seeing where the users are using more of the data.

Sometimes there are heavy downloads, which I'm not able to track. If I can get that information, that would be more useful from the IT point of view.

I have been using this product for almost two and a half years.

The solution is stable. In two and a half years, we haven't faced any problems.

For maintenance, we have the support company person who visits around twice a month.

We have not explored the scalability very much, so I will give it a 7 out of 10 as far as connectivity or support. As an IT manager, I don't get the complete report of what users are doing, so it would be great to have that also. That would be much better from an organization point of view in case my users are doing something wrong.

Usually, I have 25 licenses, so we have increased that number by 10 this year and now we have 35 licenses.

Initial setup was straightforward. Implementation was not very difficult because we were renovating our office structure.

At the initial stage, we decided that once we were putting the new structure in, we would go through Cyberoam, so we connected through a dealer. They came and did the complete setup. It was quite smooth. It took around two to three days to do the complete setup and it was up and running. There was not much of a hassle there because they managed it.

None of my employees were in that area where the setup was done. The team was all alone to complete the setup. Once the setup was done, we just connected to the network and everything was up and running. It was faster. It took around four to seven days to do the complete setup and set up the users.

We just use the standard package.

I was using a different product, and we were facing a lot of problems. The users were not able to open some sites. They were having issues. The sites were getting blocked and all, but with the Cyberoam, there is security without much hassle.

We had a dry run and our vendors suggested that we buy Cyberoam. They gave us a test demo, we were satisfied with the product, and we purchased it afterwards.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.

My advice is that it's a good product if you're looking for security without much hassle. For other products, the maintenance is too high and you need a resource to manage that. With Cyberoam, you hardly need to manage it once the setup is done correctly.

Network Administrator at Hass Petroleum
    Good VPN and reporting capabilities with an easy initial setup
    • "The VPN is excellent on the solution."
    • "The policy is a bit too vague."

What is our primary use case?

I'm using Cyberoam in close to nine locations.

We are using, for example, IP sets from Kenya to Somalia, a place where we could not get MPLS connectivity.

We have a secondary server in the Somalia office. I also use it from the Nairobi office to the Dubai office as the MPLS is very expensive and I need to do a backup daily. That is for the IP sec.

For the VPN, we use it to access our ERP systems remotely from everywhere. Close to a hundred users use it and it has been stable.

What is most valuable?

The VPN is excellent on the solution.

The reporting aspect of the solution is very good.

The initial setup is straightforward. A company should have any troubles setting it up in their organization.

What needs improvement?

The reports are not very detailed, or, at least, some aspects of it are not that detailed. They need to improve the reporting and to bring in greater detail.

The policy is a bit too vague. The solution needs to be much clearer when they go about making policies.

I'd like to see better documentation in the future.

I've been using the solution for the last five years.

Overall, the stability has been excellent. I've only had an issue with one device which had a power surge that destroyed it and I replaced it. So far, so good. I've never had it with latency issues with the memory going down. It has been good. It has served me well.

We have many offices. There may be 300 to 400. So far, it hasn't been an issue.

The technical support is good. Our license is the eight to five, not 24/7. Once you raise a ticket through the chat, you open it with another ticket with the account. Anytime when you open a ticket, they're very efficient. I've never had an issue with them. We're quite satisfied with their level of service.

The initial setup is not complex. It's straightforward. I haven't had an issue with the process at all. It's been easy.

Basically, for most of the machines, we take a backup of it. Once I get a new machine, I install the backup with all my policies and everything set, and I only change the IP.

We are thinking of getting another firewall. I'm currently comparing Cisco Meraki, Fortinet, and Sophos. We're trying to see the cost and comparing them on a few points.

Any past evaluation was a long time ago. Before I joined the organization, the organization evaluated Cisco. Nowadays, Cisco, Meraki, and other options came out, and they might not have as many features.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and end-user.

We are using various versions, including 100iNG, 50iNG, and 25iNG.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. There's always room for improvement, although mostly we have been happy with it.

IT Architect at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
    Feature rich, flexible payment options, and highly reliable
    • "There are plenty of features that are valuable in the Sophos Cyberoam UTM. We use all the features, such as email Security, firewall rules, web server security, web devices, web protection."
    • "Sophos Cyberoam UTM could improve by adding VPN site-to-site capabilities. The correct version does not work with Microsoft Azure Cloud."

What is our primary use case?

We use Sophos Cyberoam UTM to protect company networks from attacks from the internet and to separate internal networks into different nodes. The Intrusion Prevention system of Sophos Cyberoam UTM protects different networks from attacks from other networks. This includes the company's network or from the outside of the company's networks.

What is most valuable?

There are plenty of features that are valuable in the Sophos Cyberoam UTM. We use all the features, such as email Security, firewall rules, web server security, web devices, web protection.

What needs improvement?

Sophos Cyberoam UTM could improve by adding VPN site-to-site capabilities. The correct version does not work with Microsoft Azure Cloud.

I have been using Sophos Cyberoam UTM for approximately 18 years.

Sophos Cyberoam UTM is a very stable solution and it's a well-formed and clear-built solution. You can easily have flexibility in configuring. The Sophos XG has a strong connection to the cloud and that's not good for security.

The solution is scalable.

We have approximately 30 customers using this solution. We support other IT service providers who don't have knowledge about IT security.

The installation is straightforward. The length of time it takes for the implementation can vary drastically based on the organization's network structure. Addiotnanly, how well the organizations want to be protected. An easy installation can be done in two to three hours, and other implementations need much more time to prepare the firewall or to create an object. Adding more complexity to the installation can add one to three days.

The technical team that is needed to support the solution depends on the size of the organization. For smaller companies, we only need one technical engineer on our side and IT support from the customer. Larger companies with substantial-sized departments need much more support personnel. Additionally, we need one person from the management because we have to prepare outage times.

There are many options for payment of the subscription license. You purchase a subscription every one, two, or three years. You can also have monthly subscriptions but we typically offer subscriptions for three years because from the financial perspective it is better to have a three-year subscription.

What other advice do I have?

We don't like Cloud solutions in the IT security area. Firewalls feature critical infrastructures, such as networks. We don't advise our customers to use Cloud solutions.

I would recommend Sophos Cyberoam UTM.

I rate Sophos Cyberoam UTM an eight out of ten.

Manojkumar Deshmukh - PeerSpot reviewer
    G.M.(Works) at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
    Stable, with good geofencing, but at its end-of-life
    • "The performance has been good overall."
    • "The product is at its end-of-life. There is nothing to improve as it will be discontinued."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for operating system security.

What is most valuable?

The geofencing and report blocking are the solution's most valuable aspects.

The solution is quite stable. The performance has been good overall.

What needs improvement?

With technology such a Sophos, Palo Alto, and Fortinet there has always been a lot of online documentation, which Cyberoam always lacked.

We started using the solution in 2016 or 2017. It's been a few years.

The solution is quite stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's quite good overall. We find it reliable.

I haven't worked on scaling the solution, and therefore can't speak from personal experience on how well it would expand or how easy it would be. Our company is not in the process of expanding it out, either.

We have about 100 user on the solution currently.

The technical support was always good, however, it was never as good as the technical support offered by Sophos. They could have been more helpful and responsive. They could have been better at sharing information. However, it doesn't matter anymore, as we are moving on to Sophos.

We are now moving over to Sophos, as this solution is obsolete.

The initial setup is not complex. It's quite straightforward. A company wouldn't typically have any issues rolling it out.

I cannot recall how long our deployment took, exactly. It's been a few years since the process happened.

We did not require assistance from outside contractors when we did our initial implementation. We handled it in-house. We did not hire consultants or integrators.

The solution wasn't overly expensive. If you are covering your company from security risk, it's often worth the cost. Security solutions aren't something you want to cheap out on.

What other advice do I have?

We're typically using the latest version of the solution. We update our policies every three years and continue to update them.

The product is obsolete and we have moved over to Sophos.

Generally, I would tend to recommend Sophos XE to users.

Overall, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

Darshil Sanghvi - PeerSpot reviewer
    Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Reseller
    The reporting tool is one of the best we have tested but it needs integration with the security features
    • "We consider the user level and control features of Sophos Cyberoam UTM to be the best."
    • "The VPN is an area that can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution strictly in connection with the files of internal users, such as in a case that they are using the internet and we wish to control their bandwidth or time limit.

What is most valuable?

We consider the user level and control features of Sophos Cyberoam UTM to be the best. The user part is one its greatest features. The solution even has its own reporting tool, which is one of the best we have tested. Furthermore, the dashboard is user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

The VPN is an area that can be improved. Often, it will fail to connect or become disconnected. Also, the solution is not in the same lane as sending organizations, which have more security features. The enhanced security model is also lacking time-wise.

Now that the company has shifted from Cyberoam to Sophos, I would not recommend implementing the security-related features of the solution. I have heard from customers that it falls short of the mark.

In the next release, I would like to see integration with the security features. I wish to see in the actual device the integration of the security feature with another product.

We have been using Sophos Cyberoam UTM for four or five years.

I have not experienced any downtime with the solution.

We did not expand the solution, limiting its use to five-to-ten percent increments in the number of users, no more.

We have no plans to increase the usage.

The solution's technical support offers the best services available. When one of our customer's devices went down, all he needed to do was call tech support and they mailed him the device without requiring any verification or validation whatsoever.

The initial setup was very simple to apply and integrate.

The licensing is on an annual basis. It is very reasonably priced.

While we did evaluate other solutions prior to going with the product, when it comes to user level controls, I consider Sophos Cyberoam UTM to be the most suitable product.

What other advice do I have?

Our organization has multiple branches and, overall, approximately 200 users are utilizing Sophos Cyberoam UTM devices.

I would rate Sophos Cyberoam UTM as a six out of ten.

Download our free Sophos Cyberoam UTM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022