Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

OPNsense OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

OPNsense is #11 ranked solution in best firewalls. PeerSpot users give OPNsense an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. OPNsense is most commonly compared to pfSense: OPNsense vs pfSense. OPNsense is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 53% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 31% of all views.
OPNsense Buyer's Guide

Download the OPNsense Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is OPNsense?

OPNsense is a user-friendly, fast-track, open-source FreeBSD-based firewall and routing platform. This software offers features that are generally available from costly commercial firewalls, with the added benefit of open and verifiable sources. The firewall provides users, developers, and organizations with an advantageous environment through transparency. The development of this project is driven by a strong focus on security and code quality.

The solution offers a variety of components, such as:

• Weekly security updates. These updates provide the user with the ability to reach new emerging threats in a timely manner through small increments.

• Two major releases every year. These yearly releases are on a fixed release cycle and provide organizations with the ability to plan ahead of an upcoming upgrade.

• A roadmap of instructions. Each major release provides a guide and a set of clear goals.

A team of professionals developed OPNsense. Other professional and experienced software architects, engineers, and developers are encouraged to join in the development of the solution to make it as successful as possible. OPNsense offers a variety of rich features with each release. Each upgrade is based on FreeBSD for continual, long-term support and utilizes a freshly advanced MVC framework based on Phalcon. OPNsense is committed to helping businesses, school networks, remote offices, hotels, and other markets in keeping their data protected.

OPNsense Core Features

OPNsense continually offers a free, complete, high-end security platform with new releases and features. With each release, OPNsense focuses on providing more unique and better security features in a timely manner. These features include:

• Captive Portal
  • Built-in reporting and monitoring tools including RRD Graphs
  • Network Flow Monitoring
  • Traffic Shaper
  • Support for Plugins
  • Granular Control Over State Table
  • Dynamic DNS
  • Two-factor authentication throughout the system
  • Netflow Exporter
  • Encrypted Configuration Backup to Google Drive
  • Forward Caching Proxy (transparent) with Blacklist Support
  • Stateful inspection firewall
  • DNS Server & DNS Forwarder
  • High Availability & Hardware Failover (with configuration synchronization & synchronized state tables)
  • DHCP Server and Relay
  • Virtual Private Network (site to site & road warrior, IPsec, OpenVPN & legacy PPTP support)
  • Intrusion Detection and Prevention
  • 802.1Q VLAN support

Reviews from Real Users

OPNsense is a favorite security solution among reviewers for a number of reasons. Two of those reasons include the user-friendliness of the solution, which makes it easy to use, and its ability to easily scale.

For many, a user-friendly solution is essential. FiorindoDi A., a system administration specialist at a tech vendor, says, "The graphic user interface is very good and it is user-friendly, which makes the product easy-to-use."

Peerspot reviewers speak of the scalability of the solution. For example, an anonymous cloud and infrastructure manager at a venture capital and private equity firm reviewer notes, "OPNsense is easy to scale when running on the hardware."

OPNsense Customers

CompuNet Systems GmbH,

OPNsense Pricing Advice

What users are saying about OPNsense pricing:
  • "Its pricing is unbeatable in comparison to other firewalls. You can have a small instance that could be €80 a month with the hardware underneath. Azure Firewall and FortiGate are out of the question at this price. If you are on a public cloud, you need the underlying infrastructure. Other than that, there is no additional cost. If you have it on-prem, you have to buy the server or the appliance. The hardware cost is replaced with the infrastructure cost in the cloud. You also have costs for the public IPs and underlying VMs, but that's not related to OPNsense. It would be the same for a FortiGate deployment on Azure. You need a FortiGate license, and you need the underlying infrastructure that scales up depending on your needs."
  • "OPNsense is an open-source solution and it is free to use."
  • "It is not an expensive product. Basically, I deployed it because it was the fastest solution to satisfy our needs in open source."
  • "As an appliance, it's in the medium price range."
  • "It is open source and free."
  • "The solution is not expensive."
  • OPNsense Reviews

Ralf Wenzel - PeerSpot reviewer
    Cloud Architect at infotek-software GmbH
    Unbeatable pricing and easy to configure and use, but it can be configured only through the GUI, and the integration with Azure cloud is difficult
    • "The IDS and IPS features are valuable. From the usability perspective, there is a lot of good documentation. As IT professionals, we found it very easy to configure the firewall. It was easy to configure and use."
    • "We did not like the fact that you have to configure everything with the graphic user interface. We have used other firewalls, such as FortiGate, that you can configure via code. OPNsense is not easy to integrate. When you are deploying via GitHub or another source repository, this is not possible. That's one thing we didn't like much."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for intrusion detection and prevention. The firewall comes with a lot of third-party modules, and we also use proxy functionalities.

In our company, we are using it as an appliance, but we are bringing companies to the cloud. We ourselves do not have an Azure layer, but we have got a contract from a customer to bring them to the cloud. So, we are installing it there and monitoring it, but it is not owned by our company. OPNsense is available on appliances, but we have made a special integration with Azure. There is a special mechanism in Azure to deploy firewalls, and we have installed three or four of them.

We always have the latest version on the firewalls. One should run the updates very frequently.

How has it helped my organization?

We are onboarding cloud solutions for customers. We are on Azure. Especially on Azure, when the customers start, they always have small environments. We were looking for the best firewall solution for small environments, not big environments. We needed a small firewall, and we came across OPNsense. For small customers, we will use OPNsense in the future due to cost reasons. These are small installations, and Azure Firewall is very expensive.

What is most valuable?

The IDS and IPS features are valuable. From the usability perspective, there is a lot of good documentation. As IT professionals, we found it very easy to configure the firewall. It was easy to configure and use.

What needs improvement?

The difficult part was the integration with Azure because OPNsense, in most cases, is not used on public clouds. It is on appliances that run on-prem.

We did not like the fact that you have to configure everything with the graphic user interface. We have used other firewalls, such as FortiGate, that you can configure via code. OPNsense is not easy to integrate. When you are deploying via GitHub or another source repository, this is not possible. That's one thing we didn't like much.

OPNsense
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about OPNsense. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Within our own company, we have been using it for three or four years as an appliance, and on Azure, we have been using it for three months.

We have run it for three months in production, and we haven't had any problems in three months.

We run it as an NVA cluster with Azure, and it has good scalability, but when we have bigger deployments, we would use another firewall. I'm not sure if it makes sense to scale up. OPNsense has a very good niche market in comparison to FortiGate, Azure Firewall, or other firewalls. If a customer is starting in the cloud and has 100 or 200 users, I would always recommend OPNsense, but if you have a big installation, and you have a good DevOps team that deploys via source code and things like this, then I would not recommend it. So, the software itself may be scalable, but I wouldn't call it an enterprise-scale firewall.

In terms of people working with this solution, I'm an architect, and we've got two people for monitoring and setup. Its usage is increasing. It has not been that long since we started using OPNsense, and it fills a gap. Not everybody needs a full-scaled enterprise firewall. So, it will be a part of our business. We've found a niche there.

We were in touch with Microsoft support for special networking considerations. The firewall itself was easy for us, and we had no need to reach out to tech support of OPNsense. The heavy part was the Azure part, and we are specialists there.

OPNsense deploys it on the Azure marketplace. So, you can download it directly via the Azure marketplace. You do not have to be a partner. From our perspective, it's easy to configure and it's intuitive. We have a background with a lot of firewalls, and we were just looking for a small one.

We found that not many people have used it on Azure. The firewall itself is not bad, but the support around Azure in terms of documentation and the required infrastructure is not so good, but because we are Azure specialists, we found a very good solution. We would not recommend it for a beginner in Azure.

In terms of the implementation strategy, there is a cloud adaptation framework. There is a white paper from Microsoft containing best practices for deploying firewalls on Azure, and we had to provide a setup for this, which took some time because it was not easy. It took at least two weeks, but it was only a one-time job. After that, for each firewall, you only have to adapt the rules, which takes two days, but it also depends on the complexity of the infrastructure. If a customer has hundreds of endpoints, it takes longer for sure.

Its pricing is unbeatable in comparison to other firewalls. You can have a small instance that could be €80 a month with the hardware underneath. Azure Firewall and FortiGate are out of the question at this price.

If you are on a public cloud, you need the underlying infrastructure. Other than that, there is no additional cost. If you have it on-prem, you have to buy the server or the appliance. The hardware cost is replaced with the infrastructure cost in the cloud. You also have costs for the public IPs and underlying VMs, but that's not related to OPNsense. It would be the same for a FortiGate deployment on Azure. You need a FortiGate license, and you need the underlying infrastructure that scales up depending on your needs.

What other advice do I have?

We use it on-prem, and we can recommend it for a standard, typical IT engineer with a networking background. We have had a good experience with it. It is good in terms of functionality and resource usage. It is easy, and we would recommend it, but for implementing it on the Azure cloud, you need good knowledge of Azure. When it comes to public clouds, you do not have your own hardware, and you need deep knowledge of the public cloud on which you are deploying it. It is a good solution if your installation is not too big. We would recommend it for small customers or companies that are starting in the cloud.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

Senior Network Architect at Virtua Technologies
    Cost-effective with good reporting and firewall capabilities, but the SD-WAN needs to be enhanced
    • "The most valuable features are reporting, the Sensei plugin, and firewall capabilities."
    • "I would like to see better SD-WAN performance."

What is our primary use case?

I am currently working with OPNsense to see if I can learn it. This product is used in small to medium-sized businesses for security, UTM, and other similar operations. We are a solution provider and this is one of the security solutions that we implement for our clients.

How has it helped my organization?

Offering this solution has provided some of our clients with firewall protection and UTM, which basically just protects them from the internet.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The vendor should offer compatibility-approved boxes, or at least stock one with OPNsense already installed. This would make it a one-stop-shop, and people would not have to worry about sourcing the hardware separately.

I would like to see better SD-WAN performance. I think that could be a very good bonus because SD-WAN is all the rage these days. That is probably the big thing that people need to improve upon, in terms of combining two, three, or four links.

The interface should continue to improve, which would make things a bit easier. For me, it was already easy, but nonetheless, it is quicker to install a FortiGate firewall.

I have been working with OPNsense for approximately one year.

This is a very stable product and I've had no issues with it.

This product is very scalable. I always buy hardware that can handle a lot of connections and a lot of users. So, in terms of scalability, all you have to do is upgrade your hardware. Or, it is especially scalable if you use the VM version because you only have to provision more resources.

We regularly have between 20 and 50 users, although sometimes it is as little as 5 or 10.

I have not been in contact with technical support. So far, everything has been good because I just use Google to find all of the answers and all of my solutions.

I primarily work with FortiGate, but I am currently dabbling in OPNSense to see if I can learn it. I've also installed Cisco in the past, as well as Sophos.

FortiGate is a better firewall but that is commercial software that you have to buy a license for. OPNsense is suitable for small to medium-sized businesses. FortiGate is definitely quicker to install because you just buy the appliance. It's also more user-friendly.

If you dabble a bit with OPNsense, it can do about 90% of what FortiGate can do, but FortiGate is more user-friendly. Of course, with OPNsense being open-source, it will always beat FortiGate on price.

I think that with FortiGate, it is easier to log a support call. I haven't really needed technical support for OPNsense, but I know that FortiGate has the score logging facility, whereby you can just quickly log a call. There's also support in South Africa and I know company people that I can just call for help with FortiGate. But with OPNsense, I haven't really had a complicated setup, so for me, it has been okay and it hasn't been an issue.

The SD-WAN is also better on FortiGate. I think that they are heavily focused on security, so they might have better application profiles and other things, such as application threat detections.

Although about 80% of our clients ask for FortiGate, some of our clients ask for Sophos instead. For example, there are some banks and commercial institutions that ask for Sophos.

The initial setup is straightforward and quite simplified. I work in a Linux environment so for me, it will be a bit easier.

OPNsense is an open-source solution and it is free to use. You need only purchase the hardware.

What other advice do I have?

The suitability of this product often depends on the size of the company, although sometimes there are clients that just want FortiGate and they're not open for negotiation. Personally, I like open-source and it's always a bonus if I can get stuff for free.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

OPNsense
    September 2022
    632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Owner and business consultant at networks srl
    It allows me to assess our network traffic and has the best user interface
    • "The VPN server feature is the most valuable. It is integrated with Radius and AAA for doing accounting and authentication. Insight view is also an important feature for me at this time. It allows me to assess our network traffic. I also like the firewall feature. The BSD kernel has a packet filter. It is one of the most solid frameworks for firewalls. Its user interface is one of the best interfaces I have used."
    • "The only thing that I would like to see improved is the Insight or the NetFlow analysis part. It would be good to have the possibility to dig down on the Insight platform. Right now, we can easily do only a few analyses. If this page becomes more powerful, it surely will be a well-adopted platform."

What is our primary use case?

It is the main firewall for one of our locations. We use it for intrusion detection and prevention. We are using the latest software version, but the hardware is not the latest.

What is most valuable?

The VPN server feature is the most valuable. It is integrated with Radius and AAA for doing accounting and authentication.

Insight view is also an important feature for me at this time. It allows me to assess our network traffic. I also like the firewall feature. The BSD kernel has a packet filter. It is one of the most solid frameworks for firewalls.

Its user interface is one of the best interfaces I have used.

What needs improvement?

The only thing that I would like to see improved is the Insight or the NetFlow analysis part. It would be good to have the possibility to dig down on the Insight platform. Right now, we can easily do only a few analyses. If this page becomes more powerful, it surely will be a well-adopted platform.

I started to use OPNsense about three years ago.

It is stable, but for us, it is not yet so reliable. Our server is an old DL120 HP Server, which is from the year 2006. We have ordered another appliance. After we receive the new appliance, it would be more stable for us.

It scales well for our needs. I haven't tried any horizontal or vertical scaling so far.

I did not need any technical support.

I used pfSense two years ago, but I was not so happy with our system protection. I have also previously used Cisco ASA appliance. It was a 5505 model, but it failed because of the hardware issues. It was prone to hardware failure, and in one month, we lost both firewalls. It was also not so easy to see traffic with Cisco ASA. I could not easily identify traffic issues.

The initial setup was straightforward. I also have experience with BSD services, so I had no issues at all. It took us half an hour to deploy it for 250 users.

We deployed it ourselves. There was no need for a consultant for the deployment. We have two engineers for its deployment and maintenance.

It is not an expensive product. Basically, I deployed it because it was the fastest solution to satisfy our needs in open source.

What other advice do I have?

We plan to continue using this solution. Right now, we are settling our networks. We plan to expand its usage, but I don't think it will happen until 2022.

It has a good user interface. Its configuration is simple but requires a little planning. It is much simpler than the Cisco ASA configuration.

I would recommend this solution. I would rate OPNsense a nine out of ten. I am happy with it.

Cloud and Infrastrcture manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Easy to scale, easy to setup, and reasonably priced
    • "OPNsense is easy to scale when running on the hardware."
    • "The interface needs to be simplified. It is not user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We upgrade our clients when they are ready for the newer versions of OPNsense.

We are one of the local cloud providers in Indonesia. We implement OPNsense for the VPN and IPSec. We also collaborate with Zerotier to provide SD-WAN.

Our customers have solutions that integrate between on-premises and our cloud.

We provide this solution for several clients, in multi-location offices. We have several retail customers in the city and we provide OPNsense with plug-in remote access.

We also use OPNsense for remote access, and IPSec gives them access to a cloud environment as well as on-premises.

What is most valuable?

OPNsense is easy to scale when running on the hardware.

What needs improvement?

The interface needs to be simplified. It is not user-friendly.

The bandwidth management is easy to use, but very hard to implement. The multi-provider internet is protected by OPNsence but the features are limited, and not stable.

The high availability feature is not feasible when the hardware fails.

I have been working with OPNsense since 2008.

Internally we are using the latest version.

The stability of OPNsense needs improvement.

OPNsense is commonly used in large enterprise companies.

We have not yet contacted technical support. All of the technical issues are resolved within our company.

We are also using pfSense.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's an easy process.

It takes one hour to deploy.

We provide maintenance for our clients at a cost, however, 90% of our clients are familiar with the product and able to maintain the solution themselves.

We are implementors, and we provide this solution for our clients.

As an appliance, it's in the medium price range.

What other advice do I have?

OPNsense is suitable for Small to Medium-sized companies.

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

I would rate OPNsense an eight out of ten.

Other
    Senior Network Engineer at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
    Free to use, easy to manage, and offers good security options
    • "The initial implementation process is simple."
    • "While they do have paid options that actually gives better features, for most of the clients, if they tend to take a paid option will instead opt for Fortinet."

What is our primary use case?

We just use the solution normally for its basic firewall functionality.

What is most valuable?

The normal security options are great.

It's light and easy to manage.

The solution is very stable.

The initial implementation process is simple.

The solution offers a free version.

What needs improvement?

While they do have paid options that actually give better features, for most of the clients, if they tend to take a paid option will instead opt for Fortinet.

They should make it so that it's easier to reverse proxy integration.

The product is quite stable and the performance is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

We can easily scale the solution if we need to. It's not difficult.

I've only used the free version of the solution. I just have to dig into the forums to find everything I need. There isn't a central place you can reach out to. I've found all the answers I've needed so far via the forums. There's a lot of information there.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's not overly complex or difficult.

We're a customer and an end-user.

We are using the telemetry-free version of the solution.

Overall, the solution is quite affordable.

I'm aware of Fortinet as well.

It depends on price versus performance. If you're willing to pay, Fortinet's great. If you don't have the budget, OPNsense is more affordable.

What other advice do I have?

We do supply the solution and we do use it for ourselves.

I'd advise users to get the Geo functionality. It's a nice add-on, which we make use of a lot. It allows which countries are allowed to access your instances, which is very helpful.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

it_user1140060 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Machine designer at La Poste
    An open-source firewall that works very well and gets updated every month
    • "It has an open license. It works very well, and there is an update every month."
    • "Its interface should be a little bit better."

What is our primary use case?

I use it for firewall purposes and OpenVPN. Another use is to protect the servers inside my company.

I am using its latest version. It is deployed on my own server.

What is most valuable?

It has an open license. It works very well, and there is an update every month.

What needs improvement?

Its interface should be a little bit better.

I have been using this solution for three years.

It is stable. A month ago, I had an issue for two weeks, but other than that, it has been stable.

I don't need scalability. It is a small company. It is a small network. I just need a small firewall at the entrance of the network. I don't need to expand it.

In terms of its users, it is the firewall to protect the company, and I am the only one to touch this product.

I have never contacted their support.

I used another one a long time ago. I don't remember the name. I went for this because it has an open license and a lot of people use it. I don't remember why, but I prefer this one over pfSense.

It is not so difficult to set up. You need to know the minimum things. I do it myself, and I am not an IT person. It is not my job.

It is open source and free.

What other advice do I have?

I can recommend this product but only to people who are able to use it. It is not for everybody. You need to know how to manage it.

I would rate it a 10 out of 10.

Director at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
    Inexpensive solution with a host of valuable features for SD-WAN protection
    • "We have found pretty much all the features of the solution to be valuable."
    • "The solution could be more secure."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for an SD-WAN firewall.

What is most valuable?

We have found pretty much all the features of the solution to be valuable.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be more secure.

I have been using OPNsense for upwards of ten years.

The solution is very stable.

The solution is scalable.

As we have in excess of 2,000 solutions deployed in the field, there is no need for us to increase its usage. It is already sufficiently increased.

In the past we used pfSense. We have also used Sophos and Palo Alto Firewall but have replaced many of these solutions.

Our initial setup was more on the straightforward side.

It did not take a long time, although this can hinge on what needs to be accomplished.

We handled the deployment on our own.

The technical team required for deployment and maintenance purposes is small, probably around five people for every 100 devices.

It consist of a combination of managers, administrators and engineers.

The choice of a license on a yearly or monthly basis is optional.

The solution is not expensive.

What other advice do I have?

There are several hundred users in our organization who are utilizing the solution.

I would absolutely recommend the solution to others who are contemplating its implementation.

I rate OPNsense as a ten out of ten.

Amirsaeed Iloukhani - PeerSpot reviewer
    Security Consultant at Bank Meli Exchange
    Simple initial setup, reliable, and open source

What is our primary use case?

OPNsense can be deployed in the cloud and on-premises.

I have used OPNsense in many different types of companies, such as financial and metropolitan.

I have been using OPNsense for approximately six years.

OPNsense is highly stable.

The scalability of OPNsense is very good.

I have approximately 15 customer companies using this solution.

The support for OPNsense is good because we have documents available on the internet. The support could improve a little.

I rate the support from OPNsense a four out of five.

The initial setup of OPNsense is straightforward. It took us a while to deploy the solution.

I rate the initial setup of OPNsense a nine out often.

I did the implementation of OPNsense in-house.

OPNsense is an open-source solution and it does not require a license.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution to others because in my country we have a limitation for buying any firewall.

I rate OPNsense a nine out of ten.

Download our free OPNsense Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022