Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer is #6 ranked solution in Network Traffic Analysis tools. PeerSpot users give SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer is most commonly compared to Cisco Secure Network Analytics: SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer vs Cisco Secure Network Analytics. SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 60% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 19% of all views.
SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer Buyer's Guide

Download the SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer?
SolarWinds Netflow Traffic Analyzer enables you to capture data from continuous streams of network traffic and convert those raw numbers into easy-to-interpret charts and tables that quantify exactly how the corporate network is being used, by whom, and for what purpose.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer was previously known as Netflow Traffic Analyzer.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer Customers
Oceaneering International, Asia Pacific Network Information Centre, 335th Signal Command, Immofori
SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer Video

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer pricing:
  • "We have licenses for SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer. In terms of pricing, its license is not that expensive versus other tools such as HP."
  • "We pay yearly, and we are happy with its price."
  • "The pricing is reasonable."
  • SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer Reviews

Rajasekhar Maturi - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technical Lead at Wissen Infotech
    Reseller
    User-friendly and helps in troubleshooting issues and analyzing utilization
    • "What the network team found most valuable in SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer is that it helps them to troubleshoot or analyze the issue. For example, traffic that comes from our location: India, goes to the US, so for the network team to analyze where the traffic comes from and where it is directed, and whether the packets are being dropped, they use SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer. The network team also likes that through the solution, they can analyze the complete traffic utilization and how they're going to use it. SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer is user-friendly. The team finds it comfortable to use."
    • "There are some areas for improvement in SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer. There are some challenges with the solution when compared to other monitoring tools such as difficulty in operations and difficulty with backup installation. My team is currently trying out different solutions but would need to see how it goes."

What is our primary use case?

I use SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer to get insight into the traffic from different locations, even if there are no interfaces or routers. The solution helps me to clearly understand if there is an issue, for example, if traffic is being blocked, what exactly the issue is, and anything else that the network team needs to look into.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

There are some areas for improvement in SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer. There are some challenges with the solution when compared to other monitoring tools such as difficulty in operations and difficulty with backup installation. My team is currently trying out different solutions but would need to see how it goes.

What I'd like to see in the next release of SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer is a change in the way data is being collected and displayed on the graph. Currently, data is being measured every fifteen seconds, but it would be better if it's measured in minutes, in particular, five, ten, or fifteen minutes. As an administrator, I feel it would be easier and more helpful if SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer collects data every five, ten, or fifteen minutes, rather than in seconds. Doing this would also give more accurate data.

I've been using SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer for the past eight years.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    633,184 professionals have used our research since 2012.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer is a stable solution. It works perfectly. Sometimes, there may be services that hang because we're doing something in the backend, so we'll just restart the service and that'll be taken care of. Stability is not a problem with the solution.

I haven't used the technical support for SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer.

I utilize multiple tools and I can say the same for my company and the clients. The reason for choosing SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer over other monitoring tools is that it's very comfortable to use. It's a user-friendly tool.

The initial setup for SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer was easy. There was no problem with setting it up. From start to finish, deploying the solution took two hours, but if you'll do some configurations, it could take more time.

We have licenses for SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer. In terms of pricing, its license is not that expensive versus other tools such as HP.

What other advice do I have?

Currently, I'm using version 4.6 of SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer.

I'm a tech lead and I'm in different teams, and my company supports different clients. Clients have consultations with my team of fifty members.

I would recommend SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer to others because it's very easy to use. Once the solution's installed, you can immediately use it to find issues and gain insight into the traffic that comes from different locations. It can also analyze whether packets are being dropped and at what time and on which day. SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer is also a lot better in terms of cost when compared to other tools, so I'm recommending it to others.

I'm rating SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer eight out of ten. What would make my rating a ten is if the display of data or the reporting is improved. For example, rather than me selecting different graphs to see the data I need, if I could see everything such as the minimum, maximum, and averages in terms of data in one shot or in one timeline, that would raise my rating from an eight to a ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: customer/reseller
    Network Services Manager at a government with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Good reporting allows us to proactively deal with bandwidth-related issues
    • "The most valuable feature is the ability to look for any increases in bandwidth over time so that we can plan before it becomes critical."
    • "It's not a cheap product, so the pricing could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for monitoring our bandwidth. We run daily reports, send the data to Tableau, put that in a map of Texas, and look at all of our sites. It tells us if we're nearing 80% and when we need to increase bandwidth.

How has it helped my organization?

Using this solution helps us to better manage our bandwidth. We have it handled with no problem. We export information every morning so that when everybody gets to work, we can look at it and tell exactly what is going on in terms of bandwidth.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to look for any increases in bandwidth over time so that we can plan before it becomes critical. We have our threshold set at 80%, which means that when we hit that capacity, it's time to start looking at things like whether there is a problem in the network or whether an increase in bandwidth needs to take place. Essentially, it gives us a tool where we can manage our business proactively instead of reactively.

I have 19 direct reports that use this product.

What needs improvement?

It's not a cheap product, so the pricing could be improved.

We have been using the SolarWinds Network Bandwidth Analyzer for about eight years.

This product appears to be very stable.

This product seems to scale just fine. We've got 862 satellite sits we're looking at and we receive data from more than 340 land sites. I'd say that it has scaled very well for us.

We have had really good support. If we have issues then my technical person makes one call and gets help.

Prior to SolarWinds, we were using WhatsUp Gold. We weren't getting out of it what we needed, so we did a trial of SolarWinds and really liked what they saw. That is why we changed.

I was not managing the team when the setup took place, but I didn't hear of any major issues so I would say that the initial setup was pretty straightforward.

in house implementation

We purchased it outright but there are ongoing maintenance fees. From what I have seen, price-wise, it is close to the competitors.

When selecting new products, we always put out an RFI to see who has what out and available. Afterward, we evaluate those and make a selection. The NOC was responsible for choosing the product and then it came over to my team, the network service group. Since the NOC was responsible for the comparison, I don't have information on the other solutions that were evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

As this solution is implemented now, we're running fine and it is difficult to see things that can improve. It's giving us all of the information we need. For example, we have SNMP traps set up and we are able to look at offices across the entire state of Texas. It's a pretty big job. We are very much sold on this solution and plan to continue using it.

My advice for anybody who is considering SolarWinds to get the free 30-day trial, install it, test it, and see if it meets their needs. They have a lot of different modules available, so you buy the ones that you need and implement them.

Overall, we are happy with this product. That said, nothing is perfect and there's always something better.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer
    September 2022
    633,184 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Control Department Head of Information Security at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Provides good response for managing the traffic, but doesn't provide information about the endpoint that is downloading heavy files
    • "For managing the traffic, it provides you a response about whether the traffic is down, up, or heavy, which is a very powerful feature. It has a good response time. We have been using this solution for many years, and we don't have any problem with this solution."
    • "If your network is on SolarWinds, and you notice that the traffic is bad because it says "user downloading a heavy file," it doesn't indicate which endpoint is downloading those heavy files. SolarWinds doesn't have the tools to be able to handle this kind of situation. You can just notice through your network device that the traffic is becoming overwhelming or heavy, but you cannot go inside and get more details related to the endpoint where it is happening. We would like SolarWinds to be able to handle this kind of situation and even manage the traffic inside a network from the endpoint to the network device. These would be good enhancements. It is mostly stable. The problem comes only when we want to add another SolarWinds model. SolarWinds has so many models, and sometimes when we want to add other models on the platforms that are reserved for our firm, it freezes. When this happens, we have to create a new VM for that model."

What is our primary use case?

We use many SolarWinds solutions. We use SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer mostly for monitoring the traffic and ensuring that everything is working well. We use it to manage and monitor the traffic and check if the connection between the two sites is well.

What is most valuable?

For managing the traffic, it provides you a response about whether the traffic is down, up, or heavy, which is a very powerful feature. It has a good response time.

What needs improvement?

If your network is on SolarWinds, and you notice that the traffic is bad because it says "user downloading a heavy file," it doesn't indicate which endpoint is downloading those heavy files. SolarWinds doesn't have the tools to be able to handle this kind of situation. You can just notice through your network device that the traffic is becoming overwhelming or heavy, but you cannot go inside and get more details related to the endpoint where it is happening. We would like SolarWinds to be able to handle this kind of situation and even manage the traffic inside a network from the endpoint to the network device. These would be good enhancements.

I have been using this solution for around seven years.

It is mostly stable, but there are issues with stability when you want to add another SolarWinds model to the platform.

It is good for small and medium enterprises. We have ten users who use this solution in our organization. This solution is mostly used by network administrators, and currently, they don't have another project to increase the usage of the solution.

Their technical support is good.

The initial setup isn't complex.

We have an internal team that manages this solution.

We pay yearly, and we are happy with its price.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution if your need is really about monitoring the traffic. It gives good feedback for monitoring the traffic, and it is a good solution for that, but if you want to do more than that, I would not recommend this solution.

It is a good solution for small and medium enterprises. It is good for enterprises that are not too big and don't have too many networks.

I would rate SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer a six out of ten.

Dr. SureshHungenahally - PeerSpot reviewer
    Chief Executive Officer at Suraksha
    Fast and easy to deploy with good pricing
    • "It doesn't cost too much."
    • "I'm expecting to see a little bit more artificial intelligence and machine learning algorithms. They need a bit more sophistication in that."

What is our primary use case?

We deployed it with one of the hospitals for network infrastructure. Then we deployed into a hotel system in the Middle East for the FIFA World Cup. In the data center, it's just magic.

What is most valuable?

The configuration and ease of deployment are great. Within half a day, you can start seeing the traffic data coming in. Over a period of time, you can gradually improve the quality of the data and the sampling rate. For example, let's say you have got a new network or a new extension to a network, and you want to see its behavior. You cannot wait two or three days as you'll get hacked. With this, within a few hours, you can just bring the MPM or APM, any other SolarWinds product, and immediately you can start seeing the traffic coming in.

The deployment is fast and easy.

It doesn't cost too much.

What needs improvement?

I'm expecting to see a little bit more artificial intelligence and machine learning algorithms. They need a bit more sophistication in that.

We'd like more user input into the analysis, not just what they provide. It'll be good to put some user inputs like business timing, high volume of traffic, et cetera. With that, we could be more responsive.

All analytics could basically be more in-depth.

I've been using the solution since 2015, about seven years.

We have six large clients using the solution right now.

Support is very good. You raise a ticket, you get a response, and they're technically good. That's what the main thing is. We get the help we need.

To actually install and deploy, you need about two hours. You need half a day to ensure the client data is coming in and that NetFlow is turned on so we can start seeing the traffic, SNMP traps, and all of those things. Turning on the things to the client devices takes time. However, for SolarWinds itself, it's two hours to get going.

You only need one and a half people to handle deployment and maintenance. They could be anyone from an engineer to a senior engineer, a CCMA, or CCMP.

All SolarWinds products are very affordable.

What other advice do I have?

It's gone through an evolution. I have used about four or five versions of the product and the whole family of products. It's been great overall.

You can use a cloud or on-premises deployment model.

I'd advise potential new users to get the trial license and get a company to help and do a proof of concept. A POC would only take about two weeks - not more than that.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Managing Director at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
    Easy to deploy, reasonably-priced, and everything can be managed in one place
    • "The integration with other SolarWinds products is good."
    • "I would like to see more artificial intelligence capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product to analyze network traffic flow. For example, we analyze the traffic that is using a lot of bandwidth to determine which application or information stream is responsible.

What is most valuable?

Everything is done in the Orion Suite, so you can look there to find dashboards and reports.

The integration with other SolarWinds products is good. It works well in combination with the other tools.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more artificial intelligence capabilities.

We have been using SolarWinds Netflow Traffic Analyzer for about four years.

This is a very stable product.

Scalability-wise, it is fine.

SolarWinds is a traditional software company, which means that you can get help from them.

SolarWinds is a great product with a lot of possibilities, but also, it is not the Holy Grail. None of these solutions are. The suitability and choice of products depend on what is best for the customers. It's situation-based, and it depends on the requirements.

The initial setup is straightforward and it only takes a couple of hours to deploy. It is easy.

Our in-house team implements and deploys this solution. I also train people on how to use it.

The pricing is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, for my use cases, this product is very good and I recommend it. My advice is that if you decide to implement SolarWinds then they have a few other good products that you can use.

IT Project Lead - Danone North America at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    Straightforward to set up and they have good support that is quick to answer questions

What is our primary use case?

SolarWinds, in general, is used for inventory and monitoring. We use the Network Traffic Analyzer module mostly for support and debugging of issues and such.

What is most valuable?

They have instructional videos and other information available on the site to assist you with learning it. Even if you don't have an integrator or somebody teaching you how to use it, you could probably pick it up pretty easily.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better customization capabilities.

We have been using the Netflow Traffic Analyzer for about five years.

The stability is good.

Scalability-wise, NetFlow Traffic Analyzer is fine.

The support is always good. They are good people and they answer questions quickly. They know their product.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward.

We contracted an integrator to assist us with the initial implementation and deployment.

Now, we're getting ready to redeploy an entirely new suite and we're doing that internally. We are able to do this now because we have a new person on staff who has experience with this type of thing.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and I recommend it.

Donald Bakels - PeerSpot reviewer
    Chief Executive Officer (CEO) at Adfontessoftware
    Reseller
    Offers great software management tools

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of SolarWinds is to see exactly what's going on in the network.

What is most valuable?

I find the IT Operation Management Suite, the software management tools from SolarWinds, to be very useful for our customers.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see some additional security and more efficient support for the solution.

I've been using this solution for 10 years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable. We have around 100 customers using Analyzer.

Technical support is fine but they need to improve their response time.

The initial installation was quite straightforward, we were able to do it ourselves and it took a couple of hours.

Licensing fees are reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution and rate it nine out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
    Download our free SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022