Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

NetApp Private Storage OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

NetApp Private Storage is #6 ranked solution in top NAS tools. PeerSpot users give NetApp Private Storage an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. NetApp Private Storage is most commonly compared to Dell PowerScale (Isilon): NetApp Private Storage vs Dell PowerScale (Isilon). NetApp Private Storage is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 64% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.

Download the NAS Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is NetApp Private Storage?

NetApp Private Storage (NPS) for Cloud is a family of enterprise storage solutions that lets you use multiple industry-leading clouds and maintain complete control over your data on dedicated storage systems from NetApp.

NetApp Private Storage was previously known as NPS.

NetApp Private Storage Customers

ASE IT, Concerto Cloud

NetApp Private Storage Video

NetApp Private Storage Pricing Advice

What users are saying about NetApp Private Storage pricing:
  • "NetApp Private Storage is cheaper here in India compared to other solutions, such as Dell."
  • "The price of NetApp Private Storage is similar to other solutions. There is typically an annual license required for this solution."
  • "In general, I am pleased with the pricing, though it is a little high."
  • NetApp Private Storage Reviews

CTO at Dataposit Ltd
    Reseller
    Unified with good integration into the hyperscalers and generally good support
    • "The solution scales well."
    • "It is not the fastest storage solution."

What is most valuable?

The thing I like most about it is it's unified. They're the first guys who came up with this Unified Storage concept. It can do almost everything. It's sort of a Swiss army knife in a storage box. It can do NFS, SCSI, and FC. It has its own backup solution to the cloud.

I get a lot of comfort these days when the NetApp storage solution is also integrated into the hyperscalers. You can find the same NetApp in Azure or AWS.

The solution scales well.

What needs improvement?

It is not the fastest storage solution.

If you don't follow best practices, it can come back to bite you. A lot of the other vendors have taken out a lot of that infinite flexibility from their solutions so that you just don't do something to harm yourself. With NetApp, sometimes you can really push it. If you overthink provisioning, if you over-allocate, if it gets full, or if something crazy happens and you haven't been watching, then you can lose data. It requires skills to use it properly. It's maybe not the simplest to configure either, however, if you know what you're doing, if you're willing to do the homework, if you're willing to do the research, willing to do the tickets with the vendor, then you can get something really good out of the solution.

I've used the solution since 2010. We've used it maybe for around 12 years.

In terms of stability, we have to accept now, while you can do so many things, it might not be the fastest in one particular area. NetApp these days as the fastest storage solution. However, in terms of stability, I do like it.

NAS
    September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about NetApp, Dell Technologies, Buurst and others in NAS. Updated: September 2022.
    635,162 professionals have used our research since 2012.

They're following this open-source sort of model, although they have their own propriety software. With the ONTAP 9, the whole point is scalability. It can scale horizontally. It can scale vertically, and it's pretty good. The only negative I draw from that is sometimes it comes at a cost. It's not the cheapest solution. You buy the original box at a good price with a good vendor discount, however, after that, you pay for the increase in performance or increase in scale that you're looking for. That said, it's easy to scale. You can add nodes quite easily or you can add shelves. It can be done.

Support is good. That said, it is not like what it used to be. Still, when I reflect on that, I can say the same story with just about every product I use today. Nobody has time for support anymore. In the old days, you could ask them any question, anything. They know if you're with VMware, they understand VMware. If it's Linux, they understand Linux. If you're Unix, they understand Unix. Previously, the person on the other side could help you with any problem you had. That's just not the case anymore.

They do win awards for their support. They're responsive, yet sometimes, you have to pedal before you get to someone. It is what it is. For me now, luckily, it's reached a point where I don't use their support much as they don't change the product much. It's been the same operating system since 2003. Once you master it, then you don't need to go back to support a lot. The only times we go to support is when we are doing a part replacement and that is very fast.

The initial setup is complex. It takes a long time to do an implementation.

You've got to set up the networking, virtual routing, and any VRFs that you've got. Everything's in there. It's not just a click. The initial setup to just get yourself going may take you an hour just to start serving the data. However, to do it properly, by the time you've set up the replication, by the time you've maybe backed up to the cloud, it's a lot. There is just so much in there. A proper, fully-fledged setup will take you at least a week or two.

We've seen an ROI. However, it's becoming difficult now. It has to be that refined client who knows value. In East Africa, we have Huawei here offering something at half to a quarter of the cost. Old school guys will still go for this. You have to have management, or you have to have a leadership in the organization that understands the value and the protection of data to be able to really push this. I find in these days, with the cloud, people are less patient in terms of trying to understand the value. However, this solution provides so much of it.

It's a costly solution.

It's not easy to get a sale, and we have noticed the sales are really slowing down. Guys are opting for cloud now, or if not, I have guys tell me, "Just buy a Synology. Who cares?"

That said, when the first failure comes, it will be worth it. Sometimes you're inside the data's loss situation and even the discs are fried. I've recovered data from NetApps in near-impossible situations. However, that's hindsight. It's very difficult for somebody to appreciate the potential if they haven't dealt with such an issue before.

I am familiar with Huawei and HP. It becomes harder and harder sometimes to convince people to spend double when they can get away with less. A lot of people, they go in, and then the second time around, they just get a Huawei, they get something cheaper. They might get an HP and back it up with SIEM, and then they're good.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a vendor. I'm a partner and a reseller.

If you're not multi-skilled, then I wouldn't recommend it. If you are good, if you still want to do it, it's a good solution, and you should take some training. Otherwise, you'll find it difficult to do, or you have to get somebody to take you through your first setup or get a vendor or partner to take you through. The beauty is it's worth it. You'll struggle for a month, however, then, once you master it, they don't change it.

I'm going to stick here til the end. Even if it costs more, I'll always find a way of convincing the customer to get it.

Based on the cloud integration, I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

The disc themselves will do it if you need performance. However, the fact that without touching anything, you don't even need backup software, and you don't need anything as this box can do so much on its own. That's why I give them extra points compared to other vendors.

Joshy Varghese - PeerSpot reviewer
    Managing Director at Evenor Info Solutions Pvt Ltd
    Has its own dedicated operating system, so it will not be affected by any wireless piggybacking or malware
    • "NetApp has its own dedicated operating system, so it will not be affected by any wireless piggybacking or malware. That's the beauty of NetApp's operating system."
    • "They need a little more technical people in Akola. Most of the NetApp people are in Bangalore, Mumbai, or Delhi, but there are very few in Akola. I think NetApp has few technicians in Akola because they mostly rely on partners to service this area."

What is our primary use case?

NetApp Private Storage is a network-attached device that helps us manage our storage easily. In addition, it allows for easy, seamless connectivity to our storage solutions.

How has it helped my organization?

Two years ago, a client was hit by a ransomware attack. They have more than 60 servers and many workstations. The malware affected all the servers and databases. But, everything stored using NetApp was not affected. When the malware struck, NetApp was blocking that IP address, so it didn't harm the video files. That is the main advantage of this product. Our client was pleased.

What is most valuable?

NetApp has its own dedicated operating system, so it will not be affected by any wireless piggybacking or malware. That's the beauty of NetApp's operating system. I'm a hundred percent satisfied.

What needs improvement?

If I am using a product in the data center, they will give us a cloud-based DR solution. In the past two years, they have started using that kind of solution as well. We have DR solutions so our data will be safe in the cloud if any disaster happens.

We have been dealing with NetApp Private Storage since 2015.

I am a hundred percent keen on this product because we're getting a lot of positive feedback from clients. Last year, we heard a success story from another client. That client was affected by malware. The breach wasn't reported to NetApp, but it automatically raised a case ID. And NetApp sent a new hard disk to that client. The client was shocked. And fortunately, that client called. They said, "I got a hard disk from NetApp, but we have not raised any ticket for this. Could you please ask an engineer, to verify that?" And my engineer visited the site and found out why they have sent a fresh, a new, hard disk to a client.

We have implemented some storage using the NetApp service, and next year we can easily upgrade it. Add-ons are also possible with this product. I think the scale depends on the model number of the storage device. Some support around 500 users, another model can handle 2,000 users,  another is 5,000 users, etc. So it depends on the model specifications.

They need a little more technical people in Akola. Most of the NetApp people are in Bangalore, Mumbai, or Delhi, but there are very few in Akola. I think NetApp has few technicians in Akola because they mostly rely on partners to service this area. They have support. The service provider is there, but there are few techs. There is no dedicated support. They have so many service providers, but they have some limitations. Most of the service providers are engineers who will be working with NetApp, HPE, or Cisco. There is one service provider that has many engineers, but we suggest one dedicated NetApp service person.

Previously we used a Dell solution, but we transitioned to NetApp, so some clients converted from Dell to NetApp as well.

The implementation also is straightforward. We can quickly implement NetApp. Before implementing, we submit a customer procurement order to NetApp. We pre-configure the device for the customer so it's plug-and-play. Lastly, we assign the IP address and quickly configure it. It takes half an hour at most, and one person can manage it.

NetApp has a standard license that's calculated according to the size of the user base. And if you need additional support, they have Pro support and Pro-Plus support. Pro-Plus support means they will assign a dedicated person to support this product online.

What other advice do I have?

I rate NetApp Private Storage 10 out of 10.

NAS
    September 2022
    635,162 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Senior Engineer for Planning and Deployment of VAS Systems and Services at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Easy to use, simple to integrate, and offers good stability
    • "Integration with other NetApp solutions and merging them is manageable."
    • "I'm not sure how easy it is to use on the cloud versus on-prem. If they have different user experiences, they should work to make the two as similar as possible to make it easy for a user to understand both even if they only deal mainly with one."

What is our primary use case?

We've primarily used the solution for private storage.

It is used as a Cinder backend for an OpenStack cloud and for NFS storage and as block storage.

What is most valuable?

It's fairly easy to use. You can teach yourself. I'm mostly Googling to find my answers.

Its flexibility and ability to configure volumes is its most valuable aspect. I have no problem configuring the product for different kinds of use cases and configuring throughput or configuring some kind of logical volumes and so on. It's pretty easy to configure flex volumes on the NetApp solutions that I use.

The scalability is okay.

Integration with other NetApp solutions and merging them is manageable.

The initial setup is pretty easy.

The stability has been very good.

What needs improvement?

I'm working on part-time contracts for future deployment and therefore I've been using the product for maybe six months. Not just using it, but setting it up and so on.

The stability is excellent. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. it's reliable.

The solution scales quite well. If a company needs to expand its usage, it can.

We do have plans to increase storage usage in the future. However, it's not my decision.

I've never reached out to technical support. We've never needed assistance at that level. Usually, I can find anything I need online. Therefore, I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

The initial setup is not too difficult. It's also easy to set up different scenarios if you need to and use them for various use cases.

I didn't order NetApp and I didn't make the decision to buy any kind of storage solution. I'm just a developer of a storage solution that uses NetApp. In my current organization, my employment is not limited to NetApp and using NetApp. I can't speak to the exact pricing.

What other advice do I have?

For NetApp, my personal experience is as an integrator, however, can't speak to if we are using NetApp at the moment in our company. There are some other kinds of storage solutions, however, it's not currently NetApp. Personally, I have experience with NetApp, however, not in my current company.

I use it in the cloud solution. It is on-premise, however, it's on-prem in an enterprise cloud solution for enterprise purposes. It's located in some kind of private cloud solution.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. I'm mostly been happy with the product so far.

Harinder  Singh - PeerSpot reviewer
    Systems Architect at Cisco
    Integrates well, useful connectors, and straightforward implemention
    • "The most valuable feature of NetApp Private Storage is out-of-the-box integration with the SAN switches. They are much easier compared to Dell solutions. Additionally, the connector that comes with the solution that allows connection back to the Cisco SAN switches is very good. In Dell, I would need to use an FCIP or CIP port that is required."
    • "NetApp Private Storage is still integrated into the ISCSI connectivity and the FC protocol. I would recommend them to migrate to the FCIP because the SAN switches are moving further to an FCIP, and are scaling out of the ISCSI connectivity. Sooner or later, that will be an issue for NetApp Private Storage. An NFCIP should be available to them moving three years down the line."

What is our primary use case?

We have certain application database servers, the data of which needs to be replicated or moved to an offline storage mode. That's where we bundle the offline or on-premise NetApp Private Storage.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of NetApp Private Storage is out-of-the-box integration with the SAN switches. They are much easier compared to Dell solutions. Additionally, the connector that comes with the solution that allows connection back to the Cisco SAN switches is very good. In Dell, I would need to use an FCIP or CIP port that is required.

What needs improvement?

I have been using NetApp Private Storage for approximately three years.

NetApp Private Storage is a stable solution.

I have found NetApp Private Storage to be scalable.

NetApp Private Storage is a capacity-based solution and we have approximately one terabyte of usage from our users.

Our clients do not need to use the support much, we have not heard anyone complaining.

I rate the technical support from NetApp Private Storage an eight out of ten.

I have previously used other solutions, such as Dell. NetApp Private Storage is more commercially viable compared to Dell.

The setup of NetApp Private Storage is straightforward.

We used the support from NetApp Private Storage for the implementation.

NetApp Private Storage is cheaper here in India compared to other solutions, such as Dell.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate NetApp Private Storage an eight out of ten.

Manager at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
    Stable, good technical support, and priced reasonably
    • "The solution is stable."
    • "The solution could improve by having better support experts. For example, they do not have clear instructions on configuration."

What is our primary use case?

NetApp Private Storage is used for storing files and replication.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, they can improve by having inline deduplication.

I have been using NetApp Private Storage for approximately two years.

The solution is stable.

The performance depends on the sizing and configuration.

We have more than 10 customers using this solution.

We have been satisfied with the technical support of NetApp Private Storage.

We have three individuals that do the implementation and maintenance of the solution.

The price of NetApp Private Storage is similar to other solutions.

There is typically an annual license required for this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend that because technology is changing it would be best to use a software-defined solution. Here in Thailand, software-defined solutions are slow to come to the market making it more difficult for customers. NetApp has to market the solution better to be able to capture more customers.

If your company has the budget for NetApp Private Storage I would recommend it.

I rate NetApp Private Storage an eight out of ten.

Husam Kabaha - PeerSpot reviewer
    CTO at Mechkar
    Good performance, easy integration, and is reliable

What is our primary use case?

We use NetApp Private Storage for block storage and NAS.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is integration.

What needs improvement?

The documentation could be improved. It would be helpful to have some additional training.

I would like to see the GUI management simplified in the next release.

I have been working with NetApp Private Storage for one year.

NetApp Private Storage is a stable solution.

NetApp Private Storage is scalable.

I have not contacted technical support.

I have experience using Dell, NAS, NetApp, EDR, and Sophos.

The initial setup could be simplified.

In general, I am pleased with the pricing, though it is a little high.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

I would rare NetApp Private Storage an eight out of ten.