Snowflake OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Snowflake is the #1 ranked solution in top Data Warehouse tools and top Cloud Data Warehouse tools. PeerSpot users give Snowflake an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. Snowflake is most commonly compared to Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics: Snowflake vs Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics. Snowflake is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 69% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 19% of all views.
Snowflake Buyer's Guide

Download the Snowflake Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Snowflake?

Snowflake is a fully managed SaaS (software as a service) that provides a single platform for data warehousing, data lakes, data engineering, data science, data application development, and secure sharing and consumption of real-time / shared data.

Its platform is made up of three components:

1. Cloud services: As part of its cloud services, Snowflake uses ANSI SQL, which empowers users to optimize their data and manage their infrastructure, while Snowflake handles the security and encryption of stored data.
  1. Query processing: With Snowflake, workload concurrency is never a problem because its compute layer is made up of virtual cloud data warehouses that let you analyze data through requests. Each of the warehouses do not compete for computing resources nor do they affect the performance of each other.
  1. Database storage: Snowflake manages all parts of the data storage process automatically, including file size, compression, organization, structure, and metadata, as well as statistics.

Snowflake Features

Snowflake has many valuable key features. Some of the most useful ones include:

• Scalability: Snowflake architecture provides nearly unlimited scalability and high speed because it uses a single elastic performance engine. The solution also supports an unlimited amount of concurrent users and workloads, from interactive to batch.
  • Automation: Snowflake makes automation easy and enables enterprises to automate data management, security, governance, availability, and data resiliency.
  • Seamless cross-cloud and cross-region connections: With seamless cross-cloud and cross-region connections, Snowflake eliminates ETL and data silos. Anyone who needs access to shared secure data can get a single copy via the data cloud. In addition, Snowflake makes remote collaboration and decision-making fast and easy via a single shared data source.
  • Third-party data integrations: Snowflake’s Data Marketplace offers third-party data which allows you to connect with Snowflake customers to extend workflows with data services and third-party applications.

Snowflake Benefits

There are many benefits to implementing Snowflake. Some of the biggest advantages the solution offers include:

• Helps optimize costs
  • Reduces downtime
  • Improves operational efficiency
  • Built for high reliability and availability
  • Automates data replication for fast recovery

Reviews from Real Users

Below are some reviews and helpful feedback written by PeerSpot users currently using the Snowflake solution.

Sreenivasan R., Director of Data Architecture and Engineering at Decision Minds, says, "Data sharing is a good feature. It is a majorly used feature. The elastic compute is another big feature. Separating compute and storage gives you flexibility. It doesn't require much DBA involvement because it doesn't need any performance tuning. We are not really doing any performance tuning, and the entire burden of performance tuning and SQL tuning is on Snowflake. Its usability is very good. I don't need to ramp up any user, and its onboarding is easier. You just onboard the user, and you are done with it. There are simple SQL and UI, and people are able to use this solution easily. Ease of use is a big thing in Snowflake."

A director of business operations at a logistics company mentions, "It requires no maintenance on our part. They handle all that. The speed is phenomenal. The pricing isn't really anything more than what you would be paying for a SQL server license or another tool to execute the same thing. We have zero maintenance on our side to do anything and the speed at which it performs queries and loads the data is amazing. It handles unstructured data extremely well, too. So, if the data is in a JSON array or an XML, it handles that super well."

A Solution Architect at a wholesaler/distributor comments, "The ability to share the data and the ability to scale up and down easily are the most valuable features. The concept of data sharing and data plumbing made it very easy to provide and share data. The ability to refresh your Dev or QA just by doing a clone is also valuable. It has the dynamic scale up and scale down feature. Development and deployment are much easier as compared to other platforms where you have to go through a lot of stuff. With a tool like DBT, you can do modeling and transformation within a single tool and deploy to Snowflake. It provides continuous deployment and continuous integration abilities. There is a separation of storage and compute, so you only get charged for your usage. You only pay for what you use. When we share the data downstream with business partners, we can specifically create compute for them, and we can charge back the business."

Snowflake was previously known as Snowflake Computing.

Snowflake Customers

Accordant Media, Adobe, Kixeye Inc., Revana, SOASTA, White Ops

Snowflake Video

Archived Snowflake Reviews (more than two years old)

Tom Bruce - PeerSpot reviewer
Co-founder & Delivery Lead at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
An extremely stable and easy-to-set-up solution with valuable features like cloning and data sharing
  • "The cloning functionality has been the most valuable. I have been able to completely copy databases. The data sharing concept is also useful. As compared to, for example, SAP, Snowflake is a lot more open, and it allows a lot more connectivity for other providers than an SAP ecosystem."
  • "It needs a bit more rigor and governance, which is something you don't get with newer tools. This makes it less enterprise scalable. Its governance and structure can be enhanced, which would really be valuable. I would like to see some kind of prebuilt functionality in terms of having almost like a pre-built data warehouse. A functionality for generating automated kind of pieces would be good."

What is our primary use case?

I work for a company that are Snowflake partners and help clients implement solutions using Snowflake.

How has it helped my organization?

Snowflake solves many of the challenges that traditional data warehousing tools have such as a lack of agility, scalability and fine-tuning.

What is most valuable?

The use of micropartitions and metadata means that there is very little management needed and the user can focus purely on actually getting value out of their data. In addition, the cloning feature makes problem resolution and cutover extremely pain-free.

What needs improvement?

Whilst flexibility is one of its key strengths, it would be useful if there could be some better governance built into the product. In addition, functionality out of the box to deal with common data warehousing scenarios (e.g. slowly-changing dimensions etc.) would be great.

Snowflake
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Snowflake. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
653,757 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using Snowflake for about a year and a half.

It is extremely stable.

The support from Snowflake is absolutely great. All kinds of content and things are available to support yourself as well as to be able to talk through issues and have their engineers take a look at the problems. They are very responsive.

We use Snowflake alongside other data warehousing tools. Ultimately it depends on what the client wants to implement and their existing architecture as to what would be the best choice.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

Snowflake has a very efficient pricing mechanism where you only pay for what you use by the second making it very easy to control costs.

What other advice do I have?

The best advice I would give is to push for a POC. Pick a couple of use cases where you think you could quickly get value and just see how quickly you can get it implemented. One of the key features of Snowflake is that you can get it up and running straight away.

Yash Mittal - PeerSpot reviewer
Lead Data Engineer at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Mbps is great, it's faster than any other data warehouse
  • "The Mbps they have established is quite a bit faster than any other data warehouse."
  • "Product activation queries can't be changed while executing."

What is our primary use case?

We have different data models established on Snowflake so our primary use case is to store data from different sources, such as Azure Data Factory, or Databricks. We use it to create the data coming from different sources, and then we store the data. In addition, we also have a reporting structure that we use. We are partners with Snowflake and I'm a lead data engineer.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Snowflake is the Mbps they have established because it's quite a bit faster than any other data warehouse. The solution has different warehouse sizes in place, and we're able to switch through and choose what we want. It can be done in one or two seconds. In other data warehouses, it may take around one minute to set up a different configuration. In Snowflake, it can be done in, two or three seconds. And apart from that, the most important thing given that I have to analyze all this, is that it's very good with the time travel, it's a great feature.

What needs improvement?

One thing which I believe Snowflake needs to improve is related to product activation queries. It's not possible to change the warehouse size while executing. It means, for example, that the query is sometimes activated on a larger surface even if I've switched to extra small, the grading in the background is running on extra large. The result is that I have to pay for extra large until the execution is complete. The cost implications can be quite large. There should be a system where they provide a prompt so you can know the current warehouse size.

It would also be helpful if they would simplify the process of using Snowpipe. The way it works now is quite complicated. There are certain steps that you have to follow which is fine but if they could simplify that process, it would be helpful.

I've been using this solution for a year.

I've only had one issue related to stability in the past year.

It's a scalable solution, we have unlimited storage in Snowflake.

The technical support is quite good. We've used them when we've had to implement something and we need some guidance.

The amount of data which we are currently handling, cannot be handled yet in any other data warehouse, but we do have experience with Azure Data Warehouse. We don't have to manage anything with Snowflake, but with Azure we do. Snowflake is much faster, and I believe it is cheaper as well. They have developed it on top of their own system and integrated the concept.

The initial setup is straightforward. It doesn't require any hardware. It's just about getting the account access and having a browser. Everything is done by Snowflake. There is a set process that you need to follow. It is a really fast process, and it helps that the entire migration can be done within minutes. The solution is used on a daily basis by hundreds of people.

It's pay-as-you-go with Snowflake. The cost is around $US 50 per DB. Terabyte is around $US 50 per month. There are no additional costs. They are divided into two steps to assist the computer power as well as the storage power. Computation cost is relative to the warehouse size. However long our warehouse is up and running, we are charged.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Microsoft Azure
Snowflake
November 2022
653,757 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Data Architect and ETL Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
A stable data warehousing solution that is simple to set up and has good support

What is our primary use case?

We use Snowflake for data warehousing.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see more security including more masking and more encryption at the database level.

We have been using Snowflake for three months.

Stability-wise, this product is good.

Snowflake is quite scalable. We have four people who are using it.

So far, technical support has been good.

The initial setup is very simple.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing Snowflake is to start small, then prove out the value and you can grow.

DBA Individual Contributor at Aristeia Capital
Good performance, straightforward to set up, and there is flexibility in pricing
  • "It's ultra-fast at handling queries, which is what we find very convenient."
  • "Snowflake has support for stored procedures, but it is not that powerful."

What is our primary use case?

Snowflake is used for very large data, such as in the case where tables might contain 600 to 700 million records.

What is most valuable?

It's ultra-fast at handling queries, which is what we find very convenient.

The pricing and licensing model is good.

What needs improvement?

Snowflake has support for stored procedures, but it is not that powerful. They have a lot of limitations. For example, it is really basic and there are limitations on subqueries.

The functions are not very good. Improving this would help to make sure data manipulation much easier. Right now, the inbuilt stored procedures and functions are all Java-based.

I Have been using SnowFlake for about five months.

We have approximately 10 people in the organization who are using Snowflake.

The technical support is very good.

We use Snowflake in conjunction with Matillion, which is another AWS-based ETL tool. It is being used as a bridge between our on-premises data and Snowflake.

The initial setup is very straightforward. You simply log in and start using it.

When it comes to deployment, you can choose between the AWS and Azure cloud. We chose AWS.

It is easy to create an instance and you can do it yourself if you have an AWS account. Snowflake will give you the connection ID and other relevant details.

The pricing is flexible in that, for example, if I run a query and it is slow then I can increase the processing power while it is still running, and they charge more for the time. The cost is on a per-query basis.

If you're running with a base processor, called a warehouse, the query might cost 1.0 cents. But, if my query is slow and I want to increase the speed, the next level adds a little more cost to that.

On average, with the number of queries that we run, we pay approximately $200 USD per month.

Recently, we have been doing a review of Redshift. However, we finally decided to go with Snowflake.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering Snowflake is that it is a really good product, especially if you are having issues with Big Data. It is not good for a typical OLTP environment, such as a small table.

Veerendra Karnam - PeerSpot reviewer
General Manager at itcinfotech
MSP
Great interface tool which is really useful for our computation and storage needs
  • "Can be leveraged with respect to better performance, auto tuning and competition."
  • "Pricing is an issue for many customers."

What is our primary use case?

We work with multiple customers who were asking for this and other similar solutions. We've since had several team members certified in Snowflake and we have a certified team working with that solution and keeping up to date with developments. I'm the general manager of the company and we are implementers.

What is most valuable?

Snowflake has its own features in comparison to other similar solutions like Exadata. This gives it huge competitive power. It has a very good interface tool with its own benefits and features which are really useful for our needs from a computation and storage perspective. I think this solution provides the best potential of any data warehousing product where they choose to use Snowflake instead of Oracle or DBII. The product can be leveraged with respect to better performance, auto tuning, competition and performance. From an architectural perspective, the solution has all the ingredients it requires.

What needs improvement?

We've come to realize that for many customers, pricing of this solution is an issue. Maintaining Snowflake clusters is challenging and cost intensive. Reporting could also be improved. Any data that moves out of Snowflake is being cached. If I have 400 to 500 end users, with 100 or 200 reports on a daily basis, all the reports will be cached. It's a matter of ensuring that costs can be optimized. The combination of Red Warescape plus Snowflake is a combination from the design and development perspective. But the combination from the reporting perspective to micro strategy on top of Snowflake could be a better feature, so there's a combination that has to be considered.

I've been using this solution for about 10 months.

Our customers tell us that it is a stable solution.

We're working in 32 countries with enterprise size customers. We're still waiting to see what happens with that level of scalability and how the solution performs. If this product can be further fine-tuned or optimized in such a way that it becomes a very good fit for the Azure platform, that would be great.

They provide very good documentation on implementation design and development perspectives.

I think the initial setup is straightforward. Anyone who has worked on these types of solutions will pick it up quickly.

What other advice do I have?

It really depends on the nature of the implementation. If it's a small or medium sized company, we focus more on the pricing. If that can be brought down, I think Snowflake has a high potential that it can meet and can create a big name for itself in the big data cloud implementation platform. It has all the features. It already has all the complementary features to deal with the challenges. Those are built in and taken care of. It could be on Google cloud, or it could be on Azure or it could be on Amazon.

I'll rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Solutions Architect-AI & ML at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Good performance and it is easy to write queries
  • "The querying speed is fast."
  • "We would like to have an on-premises deployment option that has the same features, including scalability."

What is our primary use case?

I work as a data scientist and our primary use of Snowflake is for machine learning.

Recently, we were trying to extract data to determine the best configuration settings for one of our products.

What is most valuable?

As it is SQL-like, it is easy to write queries.

The querying speed is fast.

What needs improvement?

I have been working with Snowflake for six or seven months.

From what I have seen and heard, I think that Snowflake is pretty stable. I haven't faced any such problems, myself. I am not aware of the entirety of the lifecycle, but I haven't heard any complaints.

My impression is that this product is pretty scalable.

I have not been in contact with technical support, although my team has been and they are okay with it. My impression is that they are good.

The pricing for Snowflake is competitive.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering implementing Snowflake is that from a user's standpoint, it is a good product. Having a database in a cloud setup means that you don't have to scale and it has got many features already included.

For our use case, we found this Snowflake was good enough and did not need any enhancements. I recommend using it.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Senior Software Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable and capable of processing data in bulk but needs to have SLAs in place
  • "The solution is very stable."
  • "They don't have any SLAs in place. It would be better if they did."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution in order to have the daily transactions of trades. It's to manipulate and find out the benchmark of every broker and institutional manager.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable aspect is the ability to process the bulk amount of data and try to clone the database. We try to clone the production database. Instead of syncing the whole database, we can just clone it up and start working on it. Basically, the cloning and the database are very user-friendly.

The solution is very stable.

What needs improvement?

Right now, Snowflake doesn't have any analytical functions, especially in comparison to Oracle and other databases. The analytical performance needs to improve. It would be ideal if Snowflake was able to use the analytical functions, and what we have in the relational database. That would be really helpful.

They don't have any SLAs in place. It would be better if they did.

I've been working with the solution for two years now. The company, however, has been using it for three years at this point.

The solution is quite stable. It's reliable. It doesn't crash or freeze. There aren't bugs or glitches.

The solution is definitely scalable. We're able to add nodes to grow it out when we need to. If an organization needs to expand the solution, they can do so easily. We find it to be very reliable.

There are about 300 people using the solution at this time. We don't plan on increasing usage at this time.

Technical support is very, very good. It's a responsive and knowledgable team. We're quite satisfied with the level of service we receive.

That said, Snowflake technical support doesn't have any SLAs. If they had a small amount of SLAs, then it would be helpful for us to clear or solve any production issues, etc. that we may run into.

We need about 50-60 people to maintain the solution.

Snowflake's pricing is a bit higher than other competitors.

We were looking at Amazon Redshift previously. However, we decided that Snowflake was more reliable and scalable.

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer. We don't have a business relationship with the solution.

Users considering adding the solution should understand that Snowflake can be used only for transactional processing, not for analytical processing. If they want to go for transaction processing, they can go for Snowflake and if they want to go for analytical processing, they should look at or go for an Oracle database.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Principal Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Excellent data warehousing, quick to scale, and knowledgable technical support
  • "From a data warehouse perspective, it's an excellent all-round solution. It's very complete."
  • "The user interface continues to be an issue, especially when we need to get data out of Snowflake. It's very easy to get data in, but it's not too easy to get it out or extract it."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for data. We like that there are so many different formats and many structures for analysis.

What is most valuable?

The architecture we'll be using due to being on the cloud will assure we have less to do. There will be no indexing, for example. Everything's managed by the servers. That way, we can focus on the data warehouse and on the data.

What needs improvement?

The user interface continues to be an issue, especially when we need to get data out of Snowflake. It's very easy to get data in, but it's not too easy to get it out or extract it.

It would be nice to have some built-in solutions that would solve. for example, how to delete data from a customer when they request it.

There needs to be stronger data protection.

I've been using the solution for just a bit less than a year at this point.

Our clients have been very impressed with the solution's overall stability.

The scalability is incredible. It's the best I've ever seen. Organizations can scale easily. I can scale up four times faster as well. Something that usually takes 60 minutes can be done in 15 or 20 minutes. It's faster and I save costs because I only pay for the time. Even though I'm paying "more" I end up saving money with this time based costing.

I've only contacted technical support a handful of times. I have, however, found them to be very savvy product-wise and very helpful. Their technical support staff are all experts. They know the product extremely well.

The initial setup is very straightforward. I wouldn't describe it as complex.

How long it takes to deploy depends on your knowledge and your background. It's difficult to judge. I've been working for 20 years now with data warehouses. For me, it was very easy because of my extensive background. However, it depends on what someone knows, and their technical background. It can be difficult for others who maybe don't have as much knowledge or first-hand experience with warehouses.

We're partners with Snowflake. We support our customers and can help them implement it as necessary.

The solution has an excellent pricing strategy. The costs are open and transparent. If you don't use it, you don't pay for it. It's that simple.

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with Snowflake.

The difference between Snowflake, and, for example, Azure, is that there is real separation between the computer and storage. Snowflake is the only one that's really separate and it's much simpler to scale or shift data. It makes everything much easier.

One of the best options on the market right now is to have a cloud-only setup. Not everyone is using the cloud, but everyone will catch up.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. If the user interface was better and they had a few more features and did some useability tweaks it would be perfect. Also, it's hard to get the data out of Snowflake, and that's a real issue design-wise.

it_user1251369 - PeerSpot reviewer
Principal IT Technologist- BI Platform Architect at Medtronic
Good snapshot and rollback features and has good scaling options
  • "The snapshot feature is good, the rollback feature is good and the interface is user-friendly."
  • "Availability is a problem."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product basically for developing an IoT (Internet of Things). Currently, we are sending data from our S3 (Simple Storage Service) storage. In the future, we are planning to directly stream data to Snowflake.

What is most valuable?

In terms of features, we have not yet explored the product completely. So we are still in the proof of concept phase. As of now, the product meets our preliminary requirements. The snapshot feature is good and the rollback feature is good. That is why we have the product and these are the key things we need.

What needs improvement?

The recovery process is very simple and very user-friendly as well. The constraint files could be improved. But the most important things are there. Also, the interface is good to work with and user-friendly.

If I had to say what needs improvement, in my experience is that the availability is a problem. Availability should be high and has to be enhanced.

I still have not explored all of the existing features. Because I have not been deeply involved with using the program it is hard to say what else is missing or what I would need.

We have just explored the product for a few months.

The stability of Snowflake is very good.

Scalability is very good and very simple.

Within the company, we currently have a total of fewer than 50 people using the product. Their general roles vary from data analyst to data scientist, to IT professionals, and maybe one or two of the upper managers.

I tried using technical support once and they were very helpful. But after that, I have not had any reason to explore the support services.

The initial setup was simple.

The implementation was done by the vendor.

Before choosing to work with Snowflake we looked at virtual solutions and we looked at Redshift, we looked at Qubole and a couple of other cloud options. Earlier when we did a mining site, I was working with Alteryx, so I was already familiar with that product and its capabilities to use for comparison. We decided to go with Snowflake because it seemed mature and had what we wanted.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to someone who is looking at Snowflake is that if they are looking at analytics tools in addition to warehousing and certain advantages of cloud computing, then I would suggest Snowflake. But if they are just looking for the warehousing part where you will later just use another solution on top of it, then I would not suggest Snowflake.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Snowflake as an eight or nine. Let's say 8.5.

Yuval Klein - PeerSpot reviewer
Pre-sale Leader, Big Data Enterprise Solutions at Ness Technologies
In one second, you can take a snapshot of the database for test purposes

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is big data warehouses.

How has it helped my organization?

• Excellent performance
  • Very easy to use
  • Amazing UI

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the snapshot database. In one second, you can just take a snapshot of the database for test purposes.

One year.

Basically, it is not cheap.

R&D Operations Manager at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
You can assign roles and responsibilities, limiting access to data
  • "I like the idea that you can assign roles and responsibilities, limiting access to data."
  • "If you go with one cloud provider, you can't switch."

What is our primary use case?

We are a big data company. We have many thousands of devices deployed from our customer base. These devices upload data, on an hourly basis, to a central storage. Next, we run some ETF processes that crunch and process data, then we store that data in a structured way on Snowflake.

Over the past six months, it has been more of a development project.

I am using the latest version.

What is most valuable?

• I like the idea that you can assign roles and responsibilities, limiting access to data. That has been very interesting to us.
  • The robustness of the system is very useful to us.
  • The availability of the system.

What needs improvement?

We would like Snowflake to be able to do inter-cloud migrations. That would be great. I want to be able to switch clouds.

Six months.

It is stable.

If you go with one cloud provider, you can't switch.

We have very few users. There is just a very limited number who are mostly developers. We did not roll out the end product. We did not roll out product and services based on that foundation/infrastructure yet.

I have not personally contacted technical support.

We previously used HPE and Microsoft Insight. We switched to Snowflake for the availability, security, and loading times.

The initial setup was very straightforward. It was very quick. The complexity came from our specific use case scenario.

We also looked at HPE and Microsoft Insight.

What other advice do I have?

Analyze your user scenario. If your scenario is managing large amounts of data in extremely, different environments in a structured way, then this is a good option.

I would rate this solution as an eight (out of 10).

Sr. Software Developer at Tech Mahindra Limited
Impressive performance from massively parallel processing, supports ELT for importing data, and has awesome technical support
  • "It has great flexibility whenever we are loading data and performs ELT (extract, load, transform) techniques instead of ETL."
  • "They do have a native connector to connect with integration tools for loading data, but it would be much better to have the functionality built-in."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for Snowflake is in our data warehouse project. We have a private DW and whoever has the credentials can access it. I am a data integration developer and we are using ETL tools to extract the data from different source systems and then load it in the data warehouse.

What is most valuable?

Snowflake is the latest technology. It has great flexibility whenever we are loading data and performs ELT (extract, load, transform) techniques instead of ETL.

This solution automatically performs micro-partitioning when the data is loaded. This creates a dynamic partition and based on the cluster, the performance is fast and really impressive.

Snowflake is using MPP, massively parallel processing techniques, which is a great feature. It saves developers time and allows us to focus more on client requirements.

What needs improvement?

It is difficult in some cases to perform ETL and this is something that should be included. As it is now, I use Informatica PowerCenter to load data from on-premises to the Snowflake cloud-based data warehouse. If this could be done by Snowflake directly, without an external integration tool, then it would become a full package. It would be awesome.

They do have a native connector to connect with integration tools for loading data, but it would be much better to have the functionality built-in. We would like to be able to just write an SQL query and do our work.

I have been working with Snowflake for six months.

We have not had any major issues with stability.

Snowflake does not require manual scaling because it does it for you. Developers just need to load the data and process the query. That's it. The developer's job is not to spend time improving performance, as it was with an on-premises solution. We had to do the partitioning, collect the stats, and everything else. In the case of this cloud-based solution, it doesn't require as much work. Instead, we can focus on the queries.

We are planning to increase our usage of Snowflake.

I have been in contact with technical support many times and it was awesome. I got great support. Whenever I needed anything they were ready to help me out, which was nice.

I have experience with Informatica PowerCenter and Oracle. PowerCenter uses ETL techniques instead of ELT. Oracle does not automatically perform micro-partitioning. Instead, you have to partition manually and it is a static partition.

Prior to Snowflake, I was using an on-premises data warehouse. Snowflake is the first experience I have had with a cloud-based data warehouse. It is an awesome tool.

There is no need to install this software, which is the best part. It doesn't require any maintenance, and although DBA support is required, it is much less compared to an on-premises solution. This type of cloud-based solution has no requirement for software, hardware, or maintenance because everything is managed by Snowflake's system.

The only assistance I had during the setup was from the integration tool, Informatica PowerCenter. This was used to export our on-premises data from Oracle and import it to Snowflake on the cloud.

You pay based on the data that you are storing in the data warehouse and there are no maintenance costs.

What other advice do I have?

This is an awesome tool, but there is room for improvement in terms of integration. Also, in terms of management, nothing is perfect and everything can be improved.

Private Cloud
Vice President of Business Intelligence and Data Engineering at a comms service provider with 201-500 employees
Fast, convenient and requires almost no administration
  • "The thing I find most valuable is that scalability, space storage, and computing power is separate. When you scale up, it is live from one second to the next — constantly available as you scale — so there is no downtime or interruption of services."
  • "Maybe there could be some more connectors to other systems, but this is what they are constantly developing anyway."

What is our primary use case?

We needed a data warehouse and we made a decision on what is the right tool for us as a data warehousing tool by comparing products. We looked into Microsoft Azure, Red Shift and Snowflake. In the end, we decided on Snowflake because it looks more up to date, it seemed much better purposed as a data cloud solution.

It was developed from scratch and dedicated to being used on the cloud and that was what we were looking for. It was not just an on-premises system which was then converted to use on the cloud. It was completely developed from scratch and purely focus on the cloud.

Because it was programmed with that dedication, it has some significant advantages.

What is most valuable?

It has something like a time machine, as it is from Apple it incorporates that feature in a way similar to their operating system. So whenever you need a version of the data to test with, you can just go back and take a copy of what was backed up yesterday. It makes some things very easy. It backs up your data warehouses, so for example in our case, a colleague deleted a complete database and we just need to do an undrop on the database and the data was there again.

This helps you to have a development environment with current data. You can just clone your production environment and you have a development environment. Everything you do you can test it on real production data without destroying the production data itself.

These are significant advantages.

What needs improvement?

The company is constantly working to improve the product. Now they have a focus on data sharing, which is really great. We already share data with others who do not have Snowflake. That alone is already great. But if the other counterparts also have Snowflake, then it is extremely easy to share data. You can control access at low levels and even on the cell level. It is very secure.

With the improvements they continue to make, there is nothing now that I would say I miss or features that need to be added. Maybe there could be some more connectors to other systems, but this is what they are constantly developing anyway.

We have been using this product for two years.

The product is very stable. We never had an issue with stability. It is reliable and it is extremely fast. For example, we had a stock procedure that took half an hour to complete on our SQL cluster, and in Snowflake it was running in two minutes. So that is a significant time savings for just one task.

The number of people at our company currently using the solution depends on what we are trying to accomplish. We have four developers in Snowflake and then we also have users who are leaving data with us for our further analysis. That may be around ten other users.

With the growing data set we have and the increase in the size of our business, we will increase the use of Snowflake, but not with respect to the number of users. We are a small company and all the users who need to use it are already using it. We have more data that we need to load and which we want to integrate before we will make more usage of Snowflake.

There is nothing for us to complain about when it comes to technical support. The response time is really great. Whenever we have an issue there is some delay because they are in San Francisco in the United States so there is a time difference. But when we raise an issue, we get answers immediately. We may not get the solution immediately, as that is not always possible. But we get some type of immediate response and days later we have a solution. The tech support is quite responsive.

We use several products together for our framework. We have our data warehouse which is in Snowflake, we use Domo for standard reporting and we use R for data science analysis.

Before we had Snowflake we had a different solution. We switched to Snowflake because we felt the need to modernize our data warehouse architecture. We were also thinking about having other solutions in the cloud to reduce administration costs. With no effort on our part, we could have a stronger system compared to the effort and cost of doing a similar thing on-premises. This was the biggest advantage of Snowflake. We really do not need to have those administrative efforts anymore. Now we don't take care about when we run out of storage or that we need to buy better CPUs because if we need more computing power, we don't worry about it, we just use it and it is there.

The setup for the product was straightforward. For us, it was a little bit of a challenge because when we implemented the data warehouse, we also changed the architectural concept and we implemented a better framework. Because this framework was new to us it complicated our installation. But Snowflake itself, if you want to use and you have a data warehouse already in place with the right framework, then it is straightforward. You just store your data in and that's it. What you use on top is material for orchestrating all the load jobs. But this is other integrations and other choices that are really outside Snowflake itself.

The initial deployment from purchase until it was up and running in production took two months.

We had a consulting company help us for the initial two months of the setup and then afterward we did everything by ourselves. We were quite satisfied working with the consultants and they helped us to implement quickly. We mainly needed them because we implemented this metadata framework. In the beginning, we had this consultancy for analyzing our platform, which to select and which tools should be used. After we completed this initial portion of the project over the two months, we needed them mainly for completing the implementation of the metadata framework.

Snowflake itself is easy to learn. If you know SQL it is really not very hard. Everything is well documented and it is not a problem.

The whole licensing system is based on credit points. That means you commit to using it and you pay for what you use. You can also make a license agreement with the company so that you buy credit points and then you use them. So if you buy credit points that you think will last you for a year, you pay a certain amount of money and then you have these credit points available. What you do not use in one year can be carried over to the next year and it is that easy. The advantage of buying more is that you get a discount when you buy a bigger package with more credits.

What other advice do I have?

There is not really much advice I can give people considering this solution except that they should use it and enjoy it. It really sounds simple but that is it. Of course, you need to be careful with the usage of your credit points. Because there are so many possibilities in configuring the way you build your data warehouse or infrastructure, the data warehouse might seem logical, but it is not the best with respect to using credit points. You need to be careful about this. It probably takes half-a-year experience and then you will know how to do it. If you don't know what you are doing, Snowflake also helps to optimize your usage so that you do don't use too many credits points. After one year, we realized we had spent a huge number of credit points and we talked to Snowfake and then they came to us and we analyzed our systems together and we optimized the usage.

On a scale from one to ten where ten is the best, I would rate Snowflake as at least nine. Why not a ten is only because maybe there is something better on the market which is a ten that I don't know about. For me, it is already a ten.

Private Cloud

it_user865563 - PeerSpot reviewer
Data Engineer at Celebal Technologies
Easy to scale, a simple initial setup, and good stability
  • "The initial setup is straightforward. You just need to follow the documentation."
  • "The solution could improve the user interface and add functionality to the system."

How has it helped my organization?

We mainly used SQL scripts and provided a solution for different owners who want to query a database but have several tables. Typically, it is not an easy task to read several tables, so we provided our client with a very crisp data model where they can get results in a very quick manner. We implemented distribution as well as weekly partitioning.

What is most valuable?

The relational piece and how one dimension relates to another just by using a key is the solution's most valuable aspect. We are managing everything by using simple relations. It's all about the relationships between dimensions.

What needs improvement?

Right now, we need to write code, but if they could create a version of Snowflake that was more drag and drop for those managers that don't know how to code, it would be great for our business.

I've used the solution for two years.

The solution is stable. We bring in incremental loads into Snowflake. There are pipelines that daily seed data from Oracle to a data warehouse. It's a prebuilt code and it allows for great stability.

It's very easy to scale because Azure cloud's own data warehouse gives us that capabilities to scale up or down at any time we want. There are a great number of users on the solution, but it differs from client to client. One client, for example, has about 30,000 users.

We've never been in touch with technical support.

We handled the implementation ourselves. I've handled two or three projects previously, so I'm comfortable with the solution. We don't need assistance because we handle the consulting part.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is deployed on the cloud using Azure, where there's a data warehouse. We primarily use SQL scripts.

For those considering implementing, I'd advise that they understand the business very deeply first. Not every business would have a demand for Snowflake, so it's not for everyone. It's important to understand the requirements and then, if it makes sense, to implement Snowflake.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. I'd rate it higher if it had a better user interface.

Data & Analytics Practitioner at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Could use better integration, but very stable with an easy initial setup
  • "They separate compute and storage. You can scale storage independently of the computer, or you can scale computing independently of storage. If you need to buy more computer parts you can add new virtual warehouses in Snowflake. Similarly, if you need more storage, you take more storage. It's most scalable in the database essentially; typically you don't have this scalability independence on-premises."
  • "The solution should offer an on-premises version also. We have some requirements where we would prefer to use it as a template."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for data warehousing.

What is most valuable?

The entire managed service operations for the solution is great. Snowflake does everything for us. Whatever version they have, they implement the latest for us; we don't have to worry about any versions, any upgrades, anything else because they handle it.

What needs improvement?

The integration capabilities could be improved.

I've been using the solution for six months.

The solution has been very stable for us.

We have not tested scalability, but the solution claims that it's scalable. It's on the cloud, so I imagine you could scale rather easily if you needed to.

They separate compute and storage. You can scale storage independently of the computer, or you can scale computing independently of storage. If you need to buy more computer parts you can add new virtual warehouses in Snowflake. Similarly, if you need more storage, you take more storage. It's most scalable in the database essentially; typically you don't have this scalability independence on-premises.

We have about 40 people using the solution. They're mostly business users.

Technical support is good. Occasionally, they take a bit of time to resolve issues, but other than that they are okay. We're mostly satisfied with them.

We're system integrators, so we use different solutions including SQL Server Data Warehouse and Greenplum as well as Snowflake at the moment.

I've used many data warehouse solutions, including Hadoop, and Oracle SQL Server Data warehouses. I switched from those to Snowflake because Snowflake is on the cloud and gives you separate computing and storage scalability, which Hadoop is unable to offer.

The initial setup is straightforward. There's no deployment; it's just your code solution that needs to get up and running. You have a deal with Snowflake in terms of what environment you want, and when you want to use it, and they'll set it up within a day for you.

Snowflake helped us with the implementation.

What other advice do I have?

We are system integrators, so for all our customers, we offer different solutions.

We only use the cloud deployment model. Snowflake doesn't offer on-premises deployments.

Snowflake on cloud is the best right now. There are only a few other options. Redshift is not scalable. With SQL Data Warehouse the concurrency is an issue, as well as scalability. Also, it does not have all the features that you see in an on-premises SQL Server.

Snowflake a good database. I'd recommend the solution to others.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. We are still new to the solution. There are a few things we still have to explore before we would give it 10. Typically, I come from a Hadoop background, so compared to Hadoop I think everything looks good before the data warehouse side. We're quite pleased with Snowflake and moving from Hadoop into Snowflake has been a very good transformation.

it_user1174809 - PeerSpot reviewer
Business Intelligence Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
A flexible solution with good clustering, and the pay-per-use feature is useful
  • "The most valuable features are the clustering, LS50, being able to change the size, the pay per use feature, the flexibility with many different sources and analytic applications."
  • "Support needs improvement, as it can take several days before you get some initial support."

What is our primary use case?

We are an IT Analytic Consulting company and we work with many different products. We have Snowflake and a Snowflake account mainly for education purposes and our internal training.

We connected it to different sources, mainly internal sources. Most of them are on-premises and some are on the cloud.

The deployment model is public.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are:

The multi-clustering: being able to access stored data without contention.

Virtual Warehouse (VW) sizing: Change the size of your VW on demand.

Zero copy clone: Easy to create development and test environments.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have a tool where you can easily see the price because they need clarity of pricing.

Integration could be the key to provide an optimal solution.

In the near future, I would like to see a built-in basic analytics solution that can be embedded for testing purposes, so you can see data not only in tables but also in a graphical way in order to better prepare data for analytics.

Embedded analytics would be nice.

I have been using this solution for four months.

The scenarios that we are using are not complex. For what we are using it's pretty stable.

With a different cloud that warehouses are the standard for now but the scalability is pretty straightforward.

In terms of support, it can take some time as there are not many people to provide support. Compared to other more stable providers it's a bit slower.

You have to wait several days to get support.

Snowflake is not the only solution we are working with but it is the only solution that we are heavily focusing on and investing our efforts into the knowledge and the training.

The initial setup can be complex at the beginning but once you get into it, it can be straightforward.

When you come from an on-premises solution and you have to change or shift to the cloud, it works very differently. Once you know the differences then it is straightforward.

We did not implement this solution through a vendor, we did it ourselves.

Pricing can be confusing for customers. For example, if a customer is asking for an estimate of the price, it's hard to tell because it is not easy to measure.

Improvement on the pricing and how it is presented is needed.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest being careful with selecting resources. Each customer case can be completely different and each can require different resources.

It's not only the database itself but also how you integrate it with the analytics and the resources. The estimation of the resources is something that you have to pay a lot of attention to when selecting the resources because sometimes you will need EPL or ELT integration, which requires a tool, as does analytics.

For an end to end solution, you have to include other products.

NitinKumar - PeerSpot reviewer
NitinKumarDirector of Enginnering at Sigmoid
Top 5LeaderboardReal User

Yeah, the pricing is something which I too felt can be more open and explicit for the customers.

Valai Gunapalan - PeerSpot reviewer
Architect at Sony Corporation of America
Stable with good technical support, but the solution is expensive on longrun
  • "As long as you don't need to worry about the storage or cost, this solution would be one of the best ones on the market for scalability purposes."
  • "There are some stored procedures that we've had trouble with. The solution also needs to fine-tune the connectors to be able to connect into the system source."

What is our primary use case?

Our aim was to migrate everything from on-premise, so we just migrated as it is and then we had issues. Some use cases that were running on-premises were not installed. We just went through each case and then finalized the issues with some of the packages that were not working or some users that were not getting what they were expecting. We did deep analysis on each and every case and then looked for options in Snowflake and are now working with the team to move everything over to Snowflake

What is most valuable?

The data warehouse is one of the great concepts of Snowflake. The coding plans are also a great feature. You can switch out the values or sizes.

What needs improvement?

It would be helpful if implementation could be handled more on the user-side. We need to train the users on best practices and how to use the solution properly. It's a cost issue. If they don't run it properly then it'll end up costing more money.

There are some stored procedures that we've had trouble with. The solution also needs to fine-tune the connectors to be able to connect into the system source.

I've been using the solution for one year.

The solution is stable. We had only one failure, but that was because of AWS issues. Beyond that, I haven't seen anything else. From the Snowflake side, within 10 minutes they reported the AWS issue. It was under two hours of downtime because of the quick response.

As long as you don't need to worry about storage or cost, this solution would be one of the best ones on the market for scalability purposes. We've migrated about 400-450 dealers onto the solution so far. We do intend to expand usage so there will be more users and more data. The drawbacks we've had with on-premises was space being a constraint and the user code having limitations.

Customer support is good. There is always someone who's going to respond. They will let you know what can be done and what is possible.

We did some testing and some comparisons, but it's all set up now and running fine. The deployment took about three months. Since we didn't want to disrupt the on-premises, or overload the system, we did most of the migrations on the weekend.

For maintenance, in the beginning, until you are through with training and performance tuning, you will need more people. You might need to start with seven or so, and then, for ongoing work, probably one or two people can manage it.

We had a Snowflake consultant on-site that assisted us with the implementation.

It's an expensive solution. We can't predict exactly how much until we've streamlined everything and the user requirements have been completed, but normally they charge on the storage, which depends upon the average storage amount used for the month.

We looked at IBM because it also has on-premise solutions. We also looked at Azure as well as AWS.

What other advice do I have?

Because most of the issues you come across can be dealt with on the user's sites, it's important to educate the users and understand their requirements.

The best advice I can give is to understand the product and to try to stick to what is required. From the business side, you need to monitor usage and monitor the space because of on-premises constraints. If it gets filled up then you will have to react. However, this solution is very scalable.

I would rate this solution between seven and eight out of ten. The solution still has some constraints that need to be addressed.

Data Sleek - PeerSpot reviewer
Owner at a consultancy with 1-10 employees
A true elastic data warehouse where you can scale computing by just issuing a SQL query

What is our primary use case?

We use Snowflake for our data warehouse. Amazing product. Redshift cannot compete with a true elastic data warehouse where you can scale computing by just issuing a SQL query (increase computer power) and resizing it down or putting computing unit to sleep.

Snowflake has many more features:

When combined with Alooma, it's the best data integration system. No need for Talend and all these cumbersome tools.

How has it helped my organization?

We were able to implement the entire data eco-system in less than five months, from data integration, data warehousing, ELT, producing fact and dimensional tables, and finally reports.

What is most valuable?

• Computing unit is accessible via SQL: being able to turn them on or off as needed.
  • Snowpipe (ingesting data)
  • Looking back in time (being able to look at data in the past within a query)
  • No data warehouse management
  • Support for JSON.

The list is pretty long.

What needs improvement?

• Snowpipe auto-ingest should be automatic.
  • A better client UI or command line tool: I think SnowSQL is a little awkward.

Less than one year.

Excellent.

Excellent.

Used it at a previous company.

Yes. No hardware or server config is needed. Just create a user account.

In-house.

Very good.

Snowflake computing is very affordable. Less expensive than Redshift.

Yes. I looked at Redshift and Vertica.

Padmanesh NC - PeerSpot reviewer
Big Data Solution Architect - Spatial Data Specialist at Sciera, Inc.
  • "The distributed architecture of Snowflake has the capacity to process huge datasets faster and allows us to scale up and down according to our needs."
  • "Snowflake has to improve their spatial parts since it doesn't have much in terms of geo-spatial queries."

How has it helped my organization?

We were using MySQL and MongoDB for our regular operations but when we grew, we were forced to handle a huge number of datasets. We could have petabytes of data in and out on a regular basis. We struggled a lot to complete the operations in a timely manner. With Amazon Redshift, we gained a lot in terms of timing, as well as project completion. Even-through we are happy with Redshift, in terms of pricing and availability of nodes, I am more comfortable with Snowflake. Some of the scoring mechanism really works well in the distributed architecture of Snowflake.

What is most valuable?

• Scalability. This solution has the ability to load a huge number of datasets (I have experience with petabytes of data) and process them. Storage is not limited, and we can increase what we want.
  • Performance. The distributed architecture of Snowflake has the capacity to process huge datasets faster and allows us to scale up and down according to our needs.
  • Flexibility. This feature is helpful for the user to increase the node size and config depending on their need. There is no need to wait for hardware to be in place whenever we increase the dataset. Snowflake provides the option to increase the node or cluster size whenever required.
  • Multi-formatted accessibility. The Snowflake engine has the capability to read the following file formats: CSV, DELIMITER, FIXEDWIDTH, AVRO, JSON, BZIP2, GZIP, LZOP. The user can choose which format is best for their requirements.
  • Configuration. Even though its running in the AWS platform, it beats their platform product. I feel more flexible with this solution than I do with Redshift.
  • Snowpipe. Snowpipe is a better system to feed stream data to the Snowflake database.

What needs improvement?

Snowflake has to improve their spatial components since it doesn't have much in terms of geo-spatial queries.

It's really good. I am happy with the product and the service.

With Amazon Redshift, we gained a lot in terms of timing as well as project completion. Even through we are happy with Redshift, in terms of pricing and availability of nodes, I am more comfortable with Snowflake.

The initial setup of Snowflake is very simple and straightforward. We do not need to read or understand any of the technical documentation. It is a plug-and-play service or platform.

I have implemented this solution through an in-house team.

I can't directly convey ROI because we are not using only Snowflake. We are using multiple products to increase our revenue and decrease time consumption. This makes it difficult to calculate ROI.

I have experience working in Hadoop & Redshift as well. When I compare the three (Snowflake, Hadoop, and Redshift), Snowflake is more user-friendly in terms of configuration and maintenance.

Download our free Snowflake Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022