We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

SAS Data Management OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SAS Data Management is #2 ranked solution in top Data Quality tools, #3 ranked solution in Data Governance tools, and #11 ranked solution in top Data Integration Tools. PeerSpot users give SAS Data Management an average rating of 8 out of 10. SAS Data Management is most commonly compared to Informatica PowerCenter: SAS Data Management vs Informatica PowerCenter. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 34% of all views.
What is SAS Data Management?

Every decision, every business move, every successful customer interaction - they all come down to high-quality, well-integrated data. If you don't have it, you don't win. SAS Data Management is an industry-leading solution built on a data quality platform that helps you improve, integrate and govern your data.

SAS Data Management was previously known as SAS Data Management Platform, Data Management Platform, DataFlux.

SAS Data Management Buyer's Guide

Download the SAS Data Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

SAS Data Management Customers

Data Management, 1-800-FLOWERS.COM, Absa, Aegon, Allianz Global Corporate & Specialty
Ausgrid, Bank of Queensland, Bell, BMC Software, Canada Post, Ceska pojistovna, Chantecler, Chubb Group of Insurance Companies, Credit Guarantee Corporation, Cr_dito y Cauci‹n, Delaware State Police, Deutsche Lufthansa, Directorate of Economics and Statistics, DSM, Enerjisa, ERGO Insurance Group, Florida Department of Corrections, Generali Hellas, Gitanjali Group, Gloucestershire Constabulary, GS Home Shopping, HealthPartners, IAG New Zealand, iJET, Invacare, Livzon Pharmaceutical Group, Los Angeles County, Miami Herald Media Company, Netherlands Enterprise Agency, New Zealand Ministry of Health, Nippon Paper, North Carolina Office of Information Technology Services, Orlando Magic, OTP Group, PITT OHIO, Plano Independent School District, RWE Poland, Spanish Air Force, Stockholm County Council, Telus, The Travel Corporation, Transitions Optical, Triad Analytic Solutions, UNIQA, US Census Bureau, US Department of Housing and Urban Development, USDA National Agricultural Statistics Service, West Midlands Police, XS Inc., Zenith Insurance

SAS Data Management Video

SAS Data Management Reviews

Senior Associate at Cognizant Technology pvt. Ltd.
One-stop-shop solution for sorting, categorizing and summarizing your data
  • "In terms of which features I have found most valuable, I would say the importing and exporting features. Additionally, the data sorting, categorizing and summarizing features, especially how it can summarize based on categories. These are the key features."
  • "One problem is accessing the data using a solution other than SAS. The SAS data, which we create in the SAS, cannot be accessed by other tools. We can't open those data in other applications. So we need to have that application in place."

What is our primary use case?

SAS Data Management is not only for data management, it is a complete solution to access the data from the various sources, which can be a text file, Excel file, raw data file, CSV files, or even manual entry, and then it reads the data. Once that data is fed into the SAS, the management includes the feeding, cleansing, and then finally managing that particular data in a preferably structured way of rows and column with the proper headers that is recorded as a variable. In this way, it is similar to how a data structure will be created and the data available for reporting purposes.

For a use case, we were using it to access the data from the various sources, even from the database. Then we used it to connect to the different databases and to try to phase the required information. Then finally, to gather all that in a single table. SAS Data Management is particularly used for data visualization and data reporting purposes.

How has it helped my organization?

In terms of how SAS Data Management has benefited our company, firstly through the processing part. As we are dealing with a very large amount of data, before we started using SAS Data Management we realized that when we try to access and manage a large quantity of data, it was taking too much of our time and too much effort. With the use of SAS it is much faster and it can manage and access the data of even terabytes or petabytes in a really fast manner. When we try to access a database that has a terabyte of data, with records, with its feature, functionality, and processing parts, which are inbuilt now in the SAS, it performs the actions very fast and gives us the results we are looking for. Previously this was taking too much time. Now with the SAS it is very fast.

What is most valuable?

In terms of which features I have found most valuable, I would say the importing and exporting features. Additionally, the data sorting, categorizing and summarizing features, especially how it can summarize based on categories. These are the key features.

SAS Data Management is a one stop solution where we are not dependent on the sources because it can connect to any source and it can report to any source. This is a very important feature when we are trying to access any type of data to do the data management. The core feature is that we can access and manage the data very easily.

What needs improvement?

One problem is accessing the data using a solution other than SAS. The SAS data, which we create in the SAS, cannot be accessed by other tools. We can't open those data in other applications. So we need to have that application in place. Suppose I have created some data in my system and send it to another person who does not have the SAS access or application, then he won't be able to access that particular data. But there are other improvements they already did. We can export that particular data into Excel or PDF or Word file, or all other sources where we don't need to have SAS in place. But it is a challenge to share the data management activity with a person who does not have SAS.

Initially, if you had asked me what needs improvement two years back, I would have said that it is only a desktop specific application, I had to install it on my desktop to be able to access it. But now it is completely cloud based. I don't need to have my laptop or the system with me. I can go anywhere with the link and log in using my credentials to access the application. This cloud based application is now also in place to access and do the data management.

I have been using SAS Data Management for almost nine years.

SAS Data Management is a really reliable and very efficient tool because the purpose of this tool initially was data access management and reporting, and finally prediction on the data. When I say data prediction, it's of course a modeling tool, but the accuracy of the tool while doing the data prediction is quite high and very reliable. It is globally recognized as accurate.

SAS Data Management is very scalable. I get different solutions in one application to do all the activities you require for achieving your tasks. Based on that, we can configure or place this particular solution and that can be built it into one application. It's a very scalable application.

In our organization for the project I'm working on there are 2000 users. They are in separate roles - they have the developer role who does the management activity. There is the operational role who is monitoring and executing the data sets. Then there is the business user who uses the particular data which is required for the application input or for the reporting purpose.

In terms of maintenance, we have an operational team and a development team who do all the maintenance work. This includes the deployment required for the latest releases and the changes in the application. If those are hot fixes that are released then deployment is required. That only matters when it is an enterprise level user. This is not a frequent activity, but it is required. On the data level, as data changes or something is happening to the data or deliveries are not appropriate, then of course, the operational roles come into the picture.

We are already on a plan for using SAS Data Management on a broader scale. Initially, when we started, it was on a particular set of people. Then we increased for the business users, then as the set of businesses grew we created another level, so that on a business user level, they can also do the exploration in the data and provide the reports to the end user as well. So there are now four levels. We have the developer, operations, business users, and end users. These four levels are expanding the scope.

When we purchased the solution from SAS, it always has their solution support in place. Anytime we see something where our team can't figure out how to resolve the problem, we can always raise the track or the ticket to the SAS, and they will answer our queries.

For data management and analytics I used to use Excel.

The initial setup is straightforward. Usually we have the administration team deploy it because it is a one stop solution not only for data management, there are other solutions integrated into the one deployment. So it requires an admin role. There is a site administration type of role as well, who installs and configures the whole application. If it is an enterprise level version, then of course the administrator is required to manage that particular application.

Of course, it depends on the user, number of users and if it is an enterprise level or user level. If it is a user level, it takes them around an hour or two to complete deployment. But if it is an enterprise level, it takes almost a week or more, based of the number of users who are going to use that particular application.

The beauty of the tool is that they provide a strategy plan or deployment plan to the user or to the enterprise. They also have a service which they provide if we are willing to purchase it to do the deployment. Basically, they always provide an object list and the way to do the installation and configuration, but on other hand, they are ready to provide the service to do that duties for us. Both options are available.

There is a huge ROI. We are just at the initial level, when you talk about licensing or use. But for the banking finance and the pharmaceutical domains it is widely and heavily used and they always find the ROI advantage when using this tool. The work is very efficient and fast.

Another beautiful aspect is for the data management on pharmaceutical sectors. It is mandated by the US FDA that if you want to submit the report for any drug to get approved by the FDA, the report has to be generated by this app. That was mandated because of the accuracy, scalability and ease of access. That is the reason the FDA made a mandate that everyone in the pharmaceutical industry has to use this app to deliver or do their data management and reporting.

I know that the pricing is on the higher end, in fact that was one of the other challenges where people were not really going to buy the product locally because it's pricing is higher. The reason for the higher prices is because it is providing not only data management, they also have a collaborative of multiple solutions integrating into the one application that is given to the users. That is the reason for the high price and that's the reason it is not coming up at the top level.

Licensing is currently on a yearly basis and I hear that they will be coming up as a cloud platform. They already have open source access for students or people who want to start with the trial. The cloud-based application is already in place where we can freely access the tool and do some activities. Of course it is only for learning purposes and not for the enterprise level.

What other advice do I have?

I would surely recommend SAS Data Management. When you see the pricing you may feel like, no, it's on the higher scale, I can't do it. But if you skip that and go for the best, then it's going to be a good ROI, and it is really helpful for your future.

The biggest lesson I have learned using SAS Data Management is the level of accessing the data and actively providing accurate results. I really saw the accuracy of the knowledge, which had already been built into the SAS. It gives more than 90% accuracy on the available data. This is good for not only making current decisions based on the data, but also providing future decision-making capability. That is a biggest lesson as a part of using this tool. Based on the current data, what can you do in the future that will also be suggested by this tool.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give SAS Data Management an eight.

RaviLagu
Senior Manager at Indiabulls Housing Finance Limited
Easy to use software with excellent technical support but connectivity can only be done through a third-party external driver
  • "The technical support is excellent."
  • "With SAS Data Management, you have to purchase an external driver, configure all of the tables for all of the data that you will extract from Salesforce. It's not a straightforward process."

What is our primary use case?

As in any housing finance company, we have multiple source systems.

One is on-premises and is used for loan management, and recently we implemented Microsoft Dynamics which is a cloud-based CRM.

We also have a system in place for our call center to manage their calls. It's called a CPS system.

We require data from multiple sources to be in one central location.

Previously we did not have any data warehousing, but now we are using SAS Data Integration Studio to get the data from multiple sources into a single location.

This is the major use case of SAS Data Integration.

How has it helped my organization?

The SAS Data Management software has enabled us to have a single source of truth for any data that was earlier being fetched from multiple source systems at multiple times

What is most valuable?

It's quite easy to use, even for a business user.

A person who does not have any background in coding, could with minimal training use this software to get any additional data elements or additional tables that they require but are not currently getting.

Also, it can connect to a variety of sources through an ODBC driver, so whether the solution is on-premises or on the cloud it can connect to all of the sources.

What needs improvement?

The installation and maintenance need to improve a lot. It's complicated.

The stability needs improvement in the tuning of the parameters, and the scalability could also be improved. Other solutions are better because they can load faster.

In the next release, I would like to have additional features that allow you to connect with other databases. For example, we are using Salesforce. If I wanted to connect to the Salesforce database, which is in the cloud, I would have to have an ODBC driver and have it configured first, even though there is direct connectivity available. You would have to purchase a third-party driver.

SAS Data Management cannot connect directly to SLBC.

When using Tableau you enter your credentials and if you have access, there is a feature that allows you to connect directly from Tableau to Salesforce Database.

With SAS Data Management, you have to purchase an external drive, and then configure all of the tables for all of the data that you will extract from Salesforce. It's not a straightforward process.

Connectivity should be simplified, especially since it is a data management software, and it is expected that there will be multiple source systems.

This solution was implemented in June, so we have been using it for six months now.

We are using the latest version of SAS Data Management.

We are still facing issues related to the stabilization because it requires some tuning, and depending on the usage you need to increase certain parameters.

For example, RAM uses a certain process, and that customization is available, but the tuning is not done out of the box, so depending on the usage, you have to manually tune it. To manually tune it you need the help of the technical support team.

This solution is easy to scale.

I haven't used any other Data Management Software yet, but in my opinion, I am quite sure that if the configuration of the hardware remains the same, then other software solutions might be able to perform better.

At times with SAS, simple processes can take a lot of time. If you look at other solutions such as Oracle, or SSIS which is in Microsoft, they are database solutions that can handle this kind of data and can load it faster.

For Data Management, we use only three to four people who are responsible for the ETL process, but overall there are always 20 to 25 concurrent users, who are mainly IT administrators or IT managers, and Business Analysts who are creating new dashboards or who are doing some ad-hoc analysis.

We contacted the technical support for the stabilization and for tuning the parameters.

The technical support is excellent.

They always respond within an hour or two.

If the issues are not resolved through email, then they arrange a Skype call or a call through WebEx, and if they are still not able to resolve your issue, they escalate it to a level two or level three-team that are available to help you 24/7.

Use used an in-house report solution which fetched reports in CSV. This was not optimal and took a lot of time to compile and analyse.

The initial setup is straightforward but the installation and maintenance are quite complicated.

It took approximately one month for us to implement the entire solution and stabilize it.

We implemented through a vendor. Their expertise was quite high as they had done multiple implementations before.

Single server setup is the easy to install and maintain but if you have a spare server for multi-server environment then it would be better

We evaluated SSIS, Oracle, and Informatica. The reason that we went with SAS is that we have been using SAS since 2013 with an older version. We had a lot of data that was already in SAS, and we already had a team of SAS developers.

Had we gone with a new software solution all together then we would have had to invest a lot in terms of human capital to get another team.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking into implementing SAS you should have a team in place. Someone who has worked hands-on with SAS implementation, and someone who has SAS administration experience, otherwise it is difficult for a layman to resolve any issues that can come up during the implementation and stabilization.

This is true even with help from the technical support team because you need to understand and know how to read the log to be able to catch the errors.

Since there are multiple processes in Data Management itself, you will need to know which process is responsible for what part. So unless you have hands-on experience or have a team that has hands-on experience with SAS or any version os SAS I wouldn't recommend that they implement this solution.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about SAS Data Management. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,322 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Head of BI at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Very powerful, offers a variety of outputs and has good technical support
  • "If you compare it to SQL, the memory and development times are very quick."
  • "We find we often have to go back and re-train users when there are changes made to the solution because the changes are not intuitive."

What is our primary use case?

We have customers that are typically in the finance sector and include banking and insurance companies. They require us to align or integrate their existing data warehouse into all the processes that feed into the data warehouse. We clean the data and create reports for the clients. Typically, they are visual in nature and may include Excel or PowerPoint. The solution allows for a great variety of output in the reports we provide to our clients.

What is most valuable?

The language is the most valuable feature within the solution. It's very flexible and very powerful.

If you compare it to SQL, the memory and development times are very quick.

Trying to develop the code is very easy.

What needs improvement?

SAS Institute build its solutions starting from the basic modules of the platform. So each solution consists of these basic modules plus some dedicated parts that are usually quite small. To adapt to the market which is rapidly evolving, SAS often changes these packages or solutions. These changes can involve both the functionality and the interfaces and the names of the applications. This sometimes creates confusion among users, both end users and consultants.

I've been using this SAS solution for more than 20 years.

Excellent stability for the language and many basic component (libraries). For the newer components they need time (as usual for all software vendor).

SAS is strong scalable, I have used on very little server that during the time have grown to huge. I can say that with SAS this is not a problem.

SAS offers different levels of support. All are quite good quality. If you have a problem, they're right there to assist. We find them very useful and have been satisfied with the level of service we've received.

I've worked with Oracle in the past as well as Python and other solutions. I find SAS the most productive and reliable.

Whether the setup is straightforward or complex often depends on the model used. Some models are very easy to implement. Others are much more complex. We have team members who specialize in installation for our clients and we choose the model that will best fit with their needs.

In terms of deployment, once again, the length of time and complexity depends on the project. Some customers need an installation done on 100 servers. However, typically, within two to five days we'll have the platform up and fully functioning. It only really takes one person to handle the deployment.

We handle the implementation for our clients.

The solution is quite expensive. It's not cheap but it's very powerful. Therefore, most businesses can't afford to use this particular product. But, good news, SAS in putting on the market solutions at a more affordable price.

What other advice do I have?

We're a gold partner with SAS and we typically use the latest versions of the solutions we have with them.

Most of our clients are enterprise-level organizations. Smaller companies may find using SAS difficult because the pricing is quite high.

The best advice I can give to other organizations contemplating installation is to find someone who knows the solution very well. SAS as a platform is very, very powerful but it is very complex as well. It's complicated to use properly. It's also difficult to learn the systems. If a company finds someone who understands the solution well, however, they can get a lot out of its offerings.

No project is simple. All projects have some level of complexity in their data, so having data integration or management isn't enough. It's necessary to use code. Visual instruments are not enough. That's why SAS is great.

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten. I've worked with many other solutions in the past, but I find that, for the warehouse and BI environment, SAS is very quick, very intuitive, very, very powerful, and very valuable. I've used a huge amount of data on servers that were not good enough. Also, when you're looking at other technologies, like Python, they can be much more difficult and take more time to develop. This product, however, can work miracles.

Tech Lead at Complete Enterprise Solutions
Scalable and stable with excellent technical support
  • "The solution is very stable. We haven't faced any issues with glitches or bugs. We haven't had any crashes."
  • "The pricing of the solution needs to be improved. They need to work to make it more affordable."

What is most valuable?

The interface of the solution is great. You don't need to be an experienced analytics person to work with the product. Even new users can do all sorts of modeling on the data.

The data-cleaning aspect of it is awesome.

You can put together different data sets from different environments and different platforms. SAS Data Management takes a lot of data sets, and you can do any sort of analysis on them. It's very, very comprehensive.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for two years.

There are very few limitations to the scalability of the product. Organizations with hundreds of thousands of customers or millions of customers use this solution. It scales very well. The support is good.

We're very satisfied with technical support. SAS works very closely with its partners. When any issues come up, they're very quick to respond. You really can't run the products without their support, in any case. You have to rely on their expertise.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's very easy to implement everything.

Usually, SAS will directly give an organization all the deployment plans. You come up with the scope of the work together with them, you work together with them, and you typically have a project manager that oversees everything. It's just a very smooth deployment.

We implemented the solution with the assistance of SAS.

The solution is very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We're a SAS partner.

We don't use the solution ourselves but we implement it for customers.

We only work with enterprise-level organizations as they would be the only types of companies that could afford the solution.

I would highly recommend the solution to other organizations. It's a very solid platform. It's hard to knock it down.

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten.

IT Consultant at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Good monitoring but needs better stability and more documentation
  • "The product offers very good flexibility."
  • "The solution could use better documentation."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution to compare the Computer Associate of Outcome with the data management program.

What is most valuable?

The monitoring capabilities are very good.

The product offers very good flexibility.

What needs improvement?

The stability could be a bit better. It's lacking in this area right now.

The solution could use better documentation.

It would be nice if the solution offered better training and certification for the product itself to ensure people know the ins and outs of every aspect.

I've only been using the solution for a few weeks. It hasn't been that long yet.

The stability of the product is okay. However, occasionally we do face some instability issues. It's not 100% perfect in that regard.

I haven't directly dealt with technical support, however, it's my understanding that the solution should offer faster, more responsive support.

I'm not sure which company we used before we used this solution. It's my understanding, however, that they did not properly meet the client's demands and therefore we needed to find a new solution, which was this current product.

The installation was pretty straightforward. It wasn't that difficult. I wouldn't describe the process as complex.

My colleague and I can both handle deployment by ourselves. You might need as many as four people to handle deployment. We also handle maintenance and take care of some of our customers.

Typically our team handled the installation in-house. We don't need the assistance of outside consultants or integrators. We can perform the task ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using currently.

We have about 100 users on the solution currently.

We do plan to continue to use the product.

I would recommend the solution to other organizations. In general, I would rate the solution at a six out of ten. There are still some elements that need to be improved in future releases.