SAS Data Management OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SAS Data Management is the #4 ranked solution in top Data Quality tools, #6 ranked solution in Data Governance tools, and #19 ranked solution in top Data Integration Tools. PeerSpot users give SAS Data Management an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. SAS Data Management is most commonly compared to Informatica PowerCenter: SAS Data Management vs Informatica PowerCenter. SAS Data Management is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 69% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 22% of all views.

Download the Data Integration Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is SAS Data Management?

Every decision, every business move, every successful customer interaction - they all come down to high-quality, well-integrated data. If you don't have it, you don't win. SAS Data Management is an industry-leading solution built on a data quality platform that helps you improve, integrate and govern your data.

SAS Data Management was previously known as SAS Data Management Platform, Data Management Platform, DataFlux.

SAS Data Management Customers

Data Management, 1-800-FLOWERS.COM, Absa, Aegon, Allianz Global Corporate & Specialty
Ausgrid, Bank of Queensland, Bell, BMC Software, Canada Post, Ceska pojistovna, Chantecler, Chubb Group of Insurance Companies, Credit Guarantee Corporation, Cr_dito y Cauci‹n, Delaware State Police, Deutsche Lufthansa, Directorate of Economics and Statistics, DSM, Enerjisa, ERGO Insurance Group, Florida Department of Corrections, Generali Hellas, Gitanjali Group, Gloucestershire Constabulary, GS Home Shopping, HealthPartners, IAG New Zealand, iJET, Invacare, Livzon Pharmaceutical Group, Los Angeles County, Miami Herald Media Company, Netherlands Enterprise Agency, New Zealand Ministry of Health, Nippon Paper, North Carolina Office of Information Technology Services, Orlando Magic, OTP Group, PITT OHIO, Plano Independent School District, RWE Poland, Spanish Air Force, Stockholm County Council, Telus, The Travel Corporation, Transitions Optical, Triad Analytic Solutions, UNIQA, US Census Bureau, US Department of Housing and Urban Development, USDA National Agricultural Statistics Service, West Midlands Police, XS Inc., Zenith Insurance

SAS Data Management Video

SAS Data Management Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SAS Data Management pricing:
"The tool is a bit expensive."

SAS Data Management Reviews

Senior Associate at Cognizant Technology pvt. Ltd.
One-stop-shop solution for sorting, categorizing and summarizing your data
  • "In terms of which features I have found most valuable, I would say the importing and exporting features. Additionally, the data sorting, categorizing and summarizing features, especially how it can summarize based on categories. These are the key features."
  • "One problem is accessing the data using a solution other than SAS. The SAS data, which we create in the SAS, cannot be accessed by other tools. We can't open those data in other applications. So we need to have that application in place."

What is our primary use case?

SAS Data Management is not only for data management, it is a complete solution to access the data from the various sources, which can be a text file, Excel file, raw data file, CSV files, or even manual entry, and then it reads the data. Once that data is fed into the SAS, the management includes the feeding, cleansing, and then finally managing that particular data in a preferably structured way of rows and column with the proper headers that is recorded as a variable. In this way, it is similar to how a data structure will be created and the data available for reporting purposes.

For a use case, we were using it to access the data from the various sources, even from the database. Then we used it to connect to the different databases and to try to phase the required information. Then finally, to gather all that in a single table. SAS Data Management is particularly used for data visualization and data reporting purposes.

How has it helped my organization?

In terms of how SAS Data Management has benefited our company, firstly through the processing part. As we are dealing with a very large amount of data, before we started using SAS Data Management we realized that when we try to access and manage a large quantity of data, it was taking too much of our time and too much effort. With the use of SAS it is much faster and it can manage and access the data of even terabytes or petabytes in a really fast manner. When we try to access a database that has a terabyte of data, with records, with its feature, functionality, and processing parts, which are inbuilt now in the SAS, it performs the actions very fast and gives us the results we are looking for. Previously this was taking too much time. Now with the SAS it is very fast.

What is most valuable?

In terms of which features I have found most valuable, I would say the importing and exporting features. Additionally, the data sorting, categorizing and summarizing features, especially how it can summarize based on categories. These are the key features.

SAS Data Management is a one stop solution where we are not dependent on the sources because it can connect to any source and it can report to any source. This is a very important feature when we are trying to access any type of data to do the data management. The core feature is that we can access and manage the data very easily.

What needs improvement?

One problem is accessing the data using a solution other than SAS. The SAS data, which we create in the SAS, cannot be accessed by other tools. We can't open those data in other applications. So we need to have that application in place. Suppose I have created some data in my system and send it to another person who does not have the SAS access or application, then he won't be able to access that particular data. But there are other improvements they already did. We can export that particular data into Excel or PDF or Word file, or all other sources where we don't need to have SAS in place. But it is a challenge to share the data management activity with a person who does not have SAS.

Initially, if you had asked me what needs improvement two years back, I would have said that it is only a desktop specific application, I had to install it on my desktop to be able to access it. But now it is completely cloud based. I don't need to have my laptop or the system with me. I can go anywhere with the link and log in using my credentials to access the application. This cloud based application is now also in place to access and do the data management.

Data Integration Tools
November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about SAS, Informatica, Microsoft and others in Data Integration Tools. Updated: November 2022.
656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using SAS Data Management for almost nine years.

SAS Data Management is a really reliable and very efficient tool because the purpose of this tool initially was data access management and reporting, and finally prediction on the data. When I say data prediction, it's of course a modeling tool, but the accuracy of the tool while doing the data prediction is quite high and very reliable. It is globally recognized as accurate.

SAS Data Management is very scalable. I get different solutions in one application to do all the activities you require for achieving your tasks. Based on that, we can configure or place this particular solution and that can be built it into one application. It's a very scalable application.

In our organization for the project I'm working on there are 2000 users. They are in separate roles - they have the developer role who does the management activity. There is the operational role who is monitoring and executing the data sets. Then there is the business user who uses the particular data which is required for the application input or for the reporting purpose.

In terms of maintenance, we have an operational team and a development team who do all the maintenance work. This includes the deployment required for the latest releases and the changes in the application. If those are hot fixes that are released then deployment is required. That only matters when it is an enterprise level user. This is not a frequent activity, but it is required. On the data level, as data changes or something is happening to the data or deliveries are not appropriate, then of course, the operational roles come into the picture.

We are already on a plan for using SAS Data Management on a broader scale. Initially, when we started, it was on a particular set of people. Then we increased for the business users, then as the set of businesses grew we created another level, so that on a business user level, they can also do the exploration in the data and provide the reports to the end user as well. So there are now four levels. We have the developer, operations, business users, and end users. These four levels are expanding the scope.

When we purchased the solution from SAS, it always has their solution support in place. Anytime we see something where our team can't figure out how to resolve the problem, we can always raise the track or the ticket to the SAS, and they will answer our queries.

For data management and analytics I used to use Excel.

The initial setup is straightforward. Usually we have the administration team deploy it because it is a one stop solution not only for data management, there are other solutions integrated into the one deployment. So it requires an admin role. There is a site administration type of role as well, who installs and configures the whole application. If it is an enterprise level version, then of course the administrator is required to manage that particular application.

Of course, it depends on the user, number of users and if it is an enterprise level or user level. If it is a user level, it takes them around an hour or two to complete deployment. But if it is an enterprise level, it takes almost a week or more, based of the number of users who are going to use that particular application.

The beauty of the tool is that they provide a strategy plan or deployment plan to the user or to the enterprise. They also have a service which they provide if we are willing to purchase it to do the deployment. Basically, they always provide an object list and the way to do the installation and configuration, but on other hand, they are ready to provide the service to do that duties for us. Both options are available.

There is a huge ROI. We are just at the initial level, when you talk about licensing or use. But for the banking finance and the pharmaceutical domains it is widely and heavily used and they always find the ROI advantage when using this tool. The work is very efficient and fast.

Another beautiful aspect is for the data management on pharmaceutical sectors. It is mandated by the US FDA that if you want to submit the report for any drug to get approved by the FDA, the report has to be generated by this app. That was mandated because of the accuracy, scalability and ease of access. That is the reason the FDA made a mandate that everyone in the pharmaceutical industry has to use this app to deliver or do their data management and reporting.

I know that the pricing is on the higher end, in fact that was one of the other challenges where people were not really going to buy the product locally because it's pricing is higher. The reason for the higher prices is because it is providing not only data management, they also have a collaborative of multiple solutions integrating into the one application that is given to the users. That is the reason for the high price and that's the reason it is not coming up at the top level.

Licensing is currently on a yearly basis and I hear that they will be coming up as a cloud platform. They already have open source access for students or people who want to start with the trial. The cloud-based application is already in place where we can freely access the tool and do some activities. Of course it is only for learning purposes and not for the enterprise level.

What other advice do I have?

I would surely recommend SAS Data Management. When you see the pricing you may feel like, no, it's on the higher scale, I can't do it. But if you skip that and go for the best, then it's going to be a good ROI, and it is really helpful for your future.

The biggest lesson I have learned using SAS Data Management is the level of accessing the data and actively providing accurate results. I really saw the accuracy of the knowledge, which had already been built into the SAS. It gives more than 90% accuracy on the available data. This is good for not only making current decisions based on the data, but also providing future decision-making capability. That is a biggest lesson as a part of using this tool. Based on the current data, what can you do in the future that will also be suggested by this tool.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give SAS Data Management an eight.

Head - Group Regulatory Reporting at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Its robustness is valuable, and it is a full-fledged suite
  • "Its robustness is valuable. It is a full-fledged suite. We have a data warehouse model, and there are also a lot of data quality management tools. The repository and all other tools are there. So, it is a full package in terms of reporting tools."
  • "We implemented it a while ago, and we are trying to improve the data delivery performance. We are looking into how to get faster and automated reporting. We would need better designs and workflows."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for our credit reporting and risk reporting. A lot of financial reports have been automated for business use cases.

We are planning to integrate it with SAS Viya, which is an on-cloud and on-premises analytical tool. We want to deploy it on the cloud for end-user report development.

What is most valuable?

Its robustness is valuable. It is a full-fledged suite. We have a data warehouse model, and there are also a lot of data quality management tools. The repository and all other tools are there. So, it is a full package in terms of reporting tools.

What needs improvement?

We implemented it a while ago, and we are trying to improve the data delivery performance. We are looking into how to get faster and automated reporting. We would need better designs and workflows.

It was installed 10 or 11 years ago, and I have been using this solution for seven or eight years.

It is stable.

It is scalable. We are using it across the globe. We have a presence in 18 countries, and we are using it across the globe for our reports.

In terms of its users, we have more than 200 users across the group. Its users are quite tech-savvy. They write programs and extract the reports. The consultants help them with the development of the project and reports, and then we use them and modify them as per our requirements. We have a small team of 10 to 12 consultants. Some of them are outsourced, and some of them are in-house.

I am an end-user, so I am not directly interacting with them. I'm sure our IT team is in touch with them for periodic upgrades and any issues.

Before this, I was in a different bank, and there too, I was using the SAS product.

It has been a long time. It was installed almost 10 years ago, and I wasn't a part of the team.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution to others. Any solution is as good as it is implemented. It depends on how it is implemented, how strong is the team that implemented it, and how well it is documented and maintained over a period of time.

I would rate it an eight out of 10.

Data Integration Tools
November 2022
656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IT Consultant at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Good monitoring but needs better stability and more documentation
  • "The product offers very good flexibility."
  • "The solution could use better documentation."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution to compare the Computer Associate of Outcome with the data management program.

What is most valuable?

The monitoring capabilities are very good.

The product offers very good flexibility.

What needs improvement?

The stability could be a bit better. It's lacking in this area right now.

The solution could use better documentation.

It would be nice if the solution offered better training and certification for the product itself to ensure people know the ins and outs of every aspect.

I've only been using the solution for a few weeks. It hasn't been that long yet.

The stability of the product is okay. However, occasionally we do face some instability issues. It's not 100% perfect in that regard.

I haven't directly dealt with technical support, however, it's my understanding that the solution should offer faster, more responsive support.

I'm not sure which company we used before we used this solution. It's my understanding, however, that they did not properly meet the client's demands and therefore we needed to find a new solution, which was this current product.

The installation was pretty straightforward. It wasn't that difficult. I wouldn't describe the process as complex.

My colleague and I can both handle deployment by ourselves. You might need as many as four people to handle deployment. We also handle maintenance and take care of some of our customers.

Typically our team handled the installation in-house. We don't need the assistance of outside consultants or integrators. We can perform the task ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using currently.

We have about 100 users on the solution currently.

We do plan to continue to use the product.

I would recommend the solution to other organizations. In general, I would rate the solution at a six out of ten. There are still some elements that need to be improved in future releases.

Head of BI at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Quick, reliable, powerful data management

What is our primary use case?

I am an IT specialist manager and we work within the SAS Data Management on a daily basis.

What is most valuable?

The tool is reliable, quick, and powerful.

What needs improvement?

The solution is quite expensive and hard to install/configure.

I have been using this solution for 25 years.

The platform is stable.

I think that they offer good support and have a good knowledge about the platform - especially second level reps. I have been working with them for over twenty years and am on a first name basis with some of the reps.

The initial setup is quite complex. We had one person set this up and manage it. Initial deployment can take up to five or more days depending on the level of complexity (i.e. is grid computing involved?).

The tool is a bit expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Customers should have knowledge about SAS language - the basic for the platform - and SQL - in order to export the data to read from an external rational database.

Download our free Data Integration Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about SAS, Informatica, Microsoft, and more!
Updated: November 2022