SAP SuccessFactors OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SAP SuccessFactors is the #1 ranked solution in top Talent Management tools, top Cloud HCM tools, and top Talent Acquisition tools. PeerSpot users give SAP SuccessFactors an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. SAP SuccessFactors is most commonly compared to Workday: SAP SuccessFactors vs Workday. SAP SuccessFactors is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 67% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 22% of all views.
SAP SuccessFactors Buyer's Guide

Download the SAP SuccessFactors Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is SAP SuccessFactors?

SAP SuccessFactors is a valuable human resource management system (HRMS) solution that streamlines numerous HR tasks and activities, such as payroll, talent management, and people processes, to help make the entire HR process run more smoothly and improve the overall employee experience. It is primarily developed to meet the needs of enterprise-class organizations. SAP SuccessFactors can also help users to boost business processes and achieve desired outcomes.

SAP SuccessFactors is cloud-based and built as a Software as a Service (SaaS) tool. It can integrate seamlessly with any existing ecosystem. This solution can easily be accessed from any web browser, from any location, with any device.

SAP Success Factors Key Features

• Improve core HR and payroll process: SAP SuccessFactors can help users improve productivity by simplifying everyday tasks, streamlining processes across the organization, establishing consistent business practices, and improving the bottom line by reducing risk. SuccessFactors core HR tools include time and attendance, payroll management, document management, and additional core HR services to meet regulatory and compliance needs.

• Staff planning and HR analytics: SuccessFactors can facilitate an improved DE&I (Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion) environment using intuitive people data measurements. The solution can help create action plans to ensure that hiring goals are met in a timely manner, preventing critical staffing gaps and ensuring that productivity and profitability goals are consistently being achieved.

• Employee welfare management: SuccessFactors allows users to respond in a timely manner to employee needs and concerns, to better understand employee motivations, to keep employees happy and involved, to specify employee dissatisfiers, and to help improve the overall employee experience. The solution will also facilitate employee performance using an intuitive holistic approach, improve employee benefits, and guide and administer the entire employee career growth. SuccessFactors provides valuable opportunities for employee growth through intuitive individualized learning and career development opportunities. It also rewards and recognizes good performance and provides pathways for successful career growth. The solution will help to attract and retain the best available talent in the marketplace.
  • Succession Planning: The solution can be used to assist with talent sourcing, candidate management, and improving the overall candidate experience to include new hire onboarding, offboarding, and more. SuccessFactors also provides action plans for performance and compensation management, education and career development, talent reviews, leadership planning, and even sales performance management, goal setting, and quotas.

Reviews from Real Users

“We are using it for a lot of things: HR, performance management, and learning management. There are a lot of features embedded in SuccessFactors. We recently implemented a learning platform that employs the individual staff to actually manage their own learning. They can do it at their own pace. SuccessFactors allows you to manage your team, have calibration for promotion, and you can generate reports and see how you're doing.” - Alaba O., IT Asset Management Lead at Dangote Industries Limited

“SuccessFactors Talent Management tools help us in managing the entire employee journey. HR and managers can use the succession and development tool to create career paths and staff development plans. When combined with the learning tool, these development objectives can help employees gain the skills they need to advance their careers within the company.” - Yamen Z., SAP Project Manager at a manufacturing company

SAP SuccessFactors was previously known as SuccessFactors.

SAP SuccessFactors Customers

City of Cape Town, ADAMA Agricultural Solutions Ltd., TransAlta Corporation, Keolis, PT XL Axiata Tbk, National Football League (NFL), Plan International, Yoh, A Day & Zimmermann Company, China Talent Group (CTG TMO), Umicore S.A., Butterfield Bank, Skril

SAP SuccessFactors Video

SAP SuccessFactors Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SAP SuccessFactors pricing:
  • "If you go by best practices and do it right from the outset, the setup won't be a costly endeavor. In terms of setup, there is a lot of flexibility compared to three years ago."
  • "Due to the way in which we purchased SuccessFactors as a module along with other SAP modules, we were able to procure it at a slightly better price than usual. I would rate their pricing 5/5 stars."
  • "I think the pricing is a little better than most solutions out there. There are reasonable prices when it comes to some of the modules such as the Payroll module, and for the remaining modules I believe the pricing is fair in comparison to the rest of the market."
  • "I have raised change requests for some modules within SuccessFactors. For example, when you're using Recruiting Management, there's a feature called Interview Central you can use to reach the candidates you're interviewing. I wanted to add a writing assessment when I select the competency on that platform. It varies from consultant to consultant, depending on what module they use."
  • SAP SuccessFactors Reviews

Rania Khoury - PeerSpot reviewer
    HRIS Manager at a engineering company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Stable solution with automatic interlinking and reporting features
    • "This solution has automatic linking and reporting features. Upgrades are hassle-free because you don't need to change everything from scratch, when compared to Meta4."
    • "The process for long modules needs to be improved, because compared to how it's done with a competitor (Meta4), the competitor's process was simpler."

What is our primary use case?

We first deployed the employee center: It's all the data related to the HR master data. We also embedded inside SuccessFactors all that is related to work permits because we have around seven countries in the Gulf area e.g. Oman, Qatar, and UAE. In terms of module, we care about the residency visa and labor card because it impacts the payment methods.

For our recruitment module, we also deployed this solution and we tried to consolidate the recruitment process across all our branches, because each branch has its own process. They can skip one step, but we defined it. We defined the rules in a unique way that caters to all our branches.

We also deployed the performance operator where we cleaned up all our job titles and assigned the correct competency in coordination with our HR directors. I did all of this inside the SuccessFactors system. Now, we are ready to go live once the top management decides to launch the performance operator. It can be the end of this year. If they're not yet ready for this system, the launch will be next year.

We also deployed the time management module for the leaves. It can be accrued or credited at the beginning of the year depending on each branch. We deployed this module to be able to track the vacation balance, sick leave balance, maternity leave, etc.

The last module we deployed is the talent and development module for setting the performance goal for each employee. We also defined the succession plan and development. We still need to identify our employees. We have 6,000 employees across all the geographies, but the platform is ready and configured.

This is only from the SuccessFactors side. From the payroll side, we deployed in UAE, Qatar, Oman, Saudi Arabia, and Egypt. IBM developed for us for Lebanon and Iraq because they are not standard. We also deployed it in India. These are the countries in our project scope.

What is most valuable?

From the HR side on which features were most valuable in this solution because I was responsible for the HR and payroll modules. During the payroll in Meta4, I used to write an outside API to read the result of the payroll and dump it to another software: the accounting software. There is a GL posting that hits from GL after each payroll.

Now, in SAP, which is connected to SuccessFactors, this interlinking and posting is automatic. I don't have to follow up with each branch on the rules and variables to do it. It's embedded. We defined it once and once the payroll cycle is finished, it hits the final module on the corresponding GL that we defined and mapped. This is the first feature I found valuable.

Another feature I found valuable was in the project module system because we also bought and utilized the project modules in SAP. It read from the HR side all the components that can constitute the cost of an employee. It means we used to calculate the dry cost manually based on some data that existed inside Meta4 and I used to prepare it for Meta4, but when we shifted to SAP, we required that all data should go out of SAP only, so no more Excel and other files.

We set up this solution to automatically calculate the dry cost based on the employee's salary, the cost of the employee's and his family's visas, the medical insurance, life insurance, etc. We calculate the dry cost by discipline and by employee category or job level so that the calculations reflect on the project module. When the employee fills in the timesheet, his hourly rate reflects immediately from this intermediate calculation.

These two features are automatic.

What needs improvement?

I am satisfied with SuccessFactors, at least 85% satisfied. As for additional features that could be included in the next release, I developed a portal for life insurance. I asked for the medical insurance, but they did it for me in the HCM side, from the payroll side. It would be nice to have it in SuccessFactors because some branches, countries, or companies may need this info in case they want to go up to the cost of the employee, and usually any insurance cost is part of your employee cost as well.

Another feature I was asking for which they asked me to develop outside as they can only extract the data for me, is the CV builder: the CV for mass builder, not the CV content because they have the data and I added two screens only. I asked to have a CV like the World Bank format which has a columnar way, but they weren't able to achieve it.

I don't know if it's because we didn't buy the business intelligence module, or because the reporting tool in SuccessFactors is cloud-based, it's always limited and you need to build your own sophisticated report layout outside.

I used it with IBM and we tested it in each branch, with all the HR users and payroll users, but effectively it was used from August 2021.

SAP SuccessFactors
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about SAP SuccessFactors. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    655,774 professionals have used our research since 2012.

In the HR module, yes this solution is stable. It has been three months since we ran the payroll from SuccessFactors. We are not facing any software issues. We are facing issues with a change mind of our users in some branches, but not in all the branches.

For payroll in terms of stability, I built the payroll engine for the Gulf area so when you're the developer, you're able to help the end user and you keep on developing the solution the way they want it.

Now we deployed it the standard way and we just added some small configurations for the countries in scope, except for Iran and Lebanon.

We stuck to the standard as much as possible so if any new version comes, or if there's any new enhancement to the software, we won't need to change much during upgrades. To be frank, in Meta4, when I used to develop based on our end user requirements and when the service pack used to come with each upgrade, it took me multiple months to analyze what I've changed and what objects I've touched. Here, we apply around 85% on that, so I think we will not face this issue.

For the configurable countries like Lebanon and Iraq which we built from scratch, the system will not be scalable because any change will need to be done inside the development. I think IBM did it in a modular way, to only add the new changes, not to change everything from scratch.

Generally the IBM team's technical support was very friendly. Even after they left and went on to other projects, they still answered me in a friendly way. They are no longer on contract with us, but whenever I face any issues, they're still helping me. They are friendly. Now, if they want to take it up to SAP, it's very typical that we have to escalate by priority. It can be low, medium, etc., but similarly, we didn't face issues with their technical support.

I used Meta4. It taught me a major lesson. I liked the solution and I know now that the new version may be similar to SAP because they have the performance calibration which didn't exist before. I developed it with two guys and embedded in the solution, but now I understand that the feel and look changed. I think if the company didn't decide to go buy an ERP solution to have multiple modules, I would have suggested to upgrade to Meta4 if we want to keep the HR solution as the standard one. I liked it so much.

The initial setup of this solution is hybrid. I don't know if it's complex because I'm not a technical person to judge, but I can tell it's hybrid. We have a cloud solution which is SuccessFactors, and we have an on-premise payroll.

SAP has an integration module called HCI that IBM helped build between these two separate solutions, one being on cloud and one being on-premises.

We implemented it through IBM. I like the team. They are very professional, and I feel that they're number one, to be frank. I used to work with seven consultants on the HR module and their leader on the HR module, even the project manager, all of them are very lovely. We had to make changes many times, but they accepted it with a lovely attitude. They have a high level of professionalism. I don't know if it is just my luck, or if they are really up to this level.

I evaluated Meta4 and was able to use it for three years.

We also evaluated four software. One of them was Microsoft, but from day one, they didn't arrive and they didn't come to the demo, so it was out from day one during the vendor assessment session. We also compared Oracle, SAP, and Deltek.

We did a comparison matrix on the various requirements that we asked for from the three vendors and we evaluated those three and we compared the scores. Other modules were also compared in their scope like the project module, CRM, and finance. The highest marks went to SAP. We did the comparison mathematically.

What other advice do I have?

I was in the blueprint phase since 2019, then during 2020, we did the implementation with IBM systems integrator. I was the lead on the HR modules but as functional lead, not as technical, because I played double roles. The role from my company's side is to give all the business requirements and do the testing with the IBM team. Being in the subleader role, I need to give them the requirements in their terminology because I didn't work before on SuccessFactors. I wasn't a user. I was learning while providing all the requirements, and testing.

During 2020 up to mid 2021, in August, we went live. Allow me to highlight that we went live for eight countries in scope for the Payroll HCM, and also went live for more than 12 countries in terms of SuccessFactors employee data. I am now supporting our company's HR users.

It's on cloud and I don't have access to the cloud to know which version. I need to go back to shared document. I don't have it in front of me. I think it was the most recent version because to be frank, even during the UAT (user acceptance testing), they stopped us for a couple of days to upgrade. I think they installed the latest version on cloud.

We have defined four or five roles as the users of this solution. The HR manager who has access to everything and all the modules. The recruiter who only has access to the recruitment module. In terms of the employee data, we defined four roles. We defined the time administrator role who's responsible for checking the leaves and following up with the leaves. The line manager is the one who approves the leave for his employee, not HR, because he is the one who knows his team more and we have people onsite for the engineering company.

We also created the HR officer role who can help in filling information related to the new hires, or the visas, or the CVs, but he doesn't have access to the salary data. Then, we created the HR admin, who can access the salary data on top of the previous role that I listed. The last role is the payroll manager who has access to a specific screen in SuccessFactors called One Time Payment, which usually hits the payroll in the other side. For this we planned it only for the top layer, or top role, which is the HR payroll manager. This is how we manage it.

Deployment and maintenance of this solution is handled by me and two colleagues. They help me with the data migration for all the countries and we distributed the countries for payroll testing. Our contract was eight countries in scope. I took four countries and they took four countries. For the recruitment module, performance appraisal, and succession plan, I was handling it in parallel to the follow-up on data migration and on the payroll configuration.

As for plans to increase usage of this solution in the future, it has only been three months from the time we went live. We are still focusing mainly on what is related to payroll, especially because we are approaching the end of this year and some branches have annual taxation e.g. India, Lebanon, and Egypt. We first need them to practice the payroll side very well, plus, they've still been committing some errors not because of the system, but because of their old ways. They're used to recalculating and deleting the result in the payroll archive. Now it's forbidden, so we are facing the issue mainly in Saudi Arabia and Iraq to change the end users' ways.

Some other branches, they are understanding. They are on track and they now ask for reports e.g. headcount reports. They are on track from month two. The next stage, maybe next year, my plan is to increase the level, particularly the HR user level to start to be responsible for their tasks, plus, to start to prepare for the performance appraisal, which mainly is not handled by the regular HR user. It will be handled just by HR managers and directors.

We need to prepare the KPIs with these HR directors. This will be the plan for next year because the top management asked for it.

Everything related to contract terms or money, it's our IT director who deals with it. My section is under IT corporate services. I'm aware from the communication that we have professional licenses for some, while for some, we have the regular licenses. I know this because they keep on asking me to reduce my HR users who have professional licenses, while other users will have a different license. In terms of licensing costs, I don't have that info.

I will tell anyone who needs to implement SuccessFactors that they first need to be familiar with the terminology used in SuccessFactors. Our company helped us by sending us to a training that served as our introduction to SuccessFactors before we started the implementation, so when we started the implementation, I was already familiar with the terminology used by IBM. People looking into implementing this solution should at least receive preliminary training.

Another advice I'd like to give is for them to really be ready for the blueprinting when preparing the solution document and the design document, because what happened to us was we went for five months during this phase parallel to the training so everything came in a rush e.g. information overload. I was the only one who attended the training for three months and in the end, I had to ask for help. That's why I asked for two people to help me because I cannot handle it all the time and I cannot attend two classes at the same time. This is my recommendation: to really have their team ready and to be familiar with all of the HR modules.

I am familiar with Meta4 and what I've been asked, so I am familiar with the business processes, but I only need the technical terminology and the screen names in the new software like SuccessFactors. I know what my company needs and I want to replicate it in SuccessFactors in case it was not clear, so let them be ready in terms of processes and be very detailed during the preparation of the solution documents.

You'll discover during the implementation, during the explore phase or the document preparation, that usually an implementer can only go by the book. He doesn't accept change, even when you are not sure about the explanation.

We worked with SAP India. SAP prepared the document for the solution while the implementer was IBM. Because the IBM team was very friendly, we were analyzing again that maybe we committed a mistake because there was a misunderstanding with SAP India and we want this requirement. They were open to revalidating the requirement. This is a very critical stage.

The last point which I faced in my country is that it's important to have mature HR users. What made this project hectic for me was that the HR users themselves weren't matured enough to do the testing themselves in their branches. You need to be present in each session. My recommendation for any other country or any other company is to have mature HR end users in case of multiple branches.

I'm rating this solution an eight. It's used worldwide and meets all our requirements.

Other
    Managing Director at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
    Highly flexible and gives full visibility into our workforce management processes
    • "I think it's perfect that every requirement has flexibility in how it is handled, and that there are several workarounds for any problem we are looking to solve. Each problem has multiple solutions, so it gives us a lot of flexibility in terms of processes."
    • "To explain one feature that I would like to see in SuccessFactors, I must describe a similar feature as seen in Oracle. In Oracle, there's a feature called Workforce Prediction, and with this feature, we can predict some of the behaviors of any employee. For example, the software can attempt to predict whether the employee might resign in future, or perhaps if they will start to perform better. This is something that is missing in SuccessFactors."

What is our primary use case?

I use SAP SuccessFactors for workforce management, in order to gain visibility into the employees in my company.

I'm working with the latest version currently and it is one of several similar products that I have used in the Middle East, including Oracle Cloud Fusion, Oracle EBS on-prem, and the regional software from Naya Tech (which has a good position in the Middle East, and which is fantastic, by the way).

How has it helped my organization?

The conceptual structure of Core HR enables us to build whatever we need when it comes to the data that we need to collect from our employees. Overall, SuccessFactors allows us to monitor the progress of our objectives throughout the year, and gives us good visibility into the performance of the company and the different departments.

What is most valuable?

First of all, I must mention that SuccessFactors has many modules. The main modules are the Core HR and Payroll modules. Payroll is based on the concept that you can create whatever you need in terms of fields, or the characteristics of a field. You can change field types and the names of every field. And with Core HR, the structure of the software allows us the flexibility to build whatever we need in terms of the data we need to collect from our employees.

The second part of this is the integration points between the Core HR module and all the task management areas. This integration is very good and it gives management full visibility regarding performance and performance management. It's built on financial scorecards, so managers can assign the objectives of the company and they can cascade these objectives down from companies to departments, and then to individuals. It lets you monitor the progress of objectives all the way until the end of the year.

Given these features, SuccessFactors is suitable for medium-sized companies as well as larger companies, assuming that the larger companies have simple enough enough processes in terms of workforce management. For very comprehensive processes, SuccessFactors might not be appropriate.

There is now also an overnight shift option. So it can work for blue collar workers, for manufacturing, or for any kind of industry that requires people to stay overnight till the second day. Users of SuccessFactors can manage all of this in terms of attendance or absence.

Beyond that, I think the recruitment features are good. In fact, more than good. And in the latest version there has been great improvements in the time management side of things. There is now a new module called Time Tracking, and this was something we sorely missed from the beginning of SuccessFactors. Now we can integrate SuccessFactors with a time attendance machine or biometric machine and I can assign clock-in and clock-out schedules to the GUI. Meanwhile, the databases that link to the biometric machine for time valuations connect with the data in the Payroll module. This is a great feature that has always been missing and now it's included.

What needs improvement?

To explain one feature that I would like to see in SuccessFactors, I must describe a similar feature as seen in Oracle. In Oracle, there's a feature called Workforce Prediction, and with this feature, we can predict some of the behaviors of any employee. For example, the software can attempt to predict whether the employee might resign in future, or perhaps if they will start to perform better. This is something that is missing in SuccessFactors.

Another thing that can be improved with SuccessFactors is that, although the reporting tool is not bad, there are often separate reports for different areas of the software. For management and other processes like onboarding, this is not ideal. For example, you may have separate technologies being used in the different modules, so the Payroll module may have a reporting system that is distinct from that used by the more basic modules.

What we are looking for is some way to unify the reporting tools with one technology because otherwise it gives us difficulties when we need to generate a more complete and encompassing report. How it works now is that if we need to get the report from the Payroll module, we must first ask someone with Payroll experience. And if we want to get data from the basic performance or recruitment modules, we must ask another person for that info.

I think that unifying the reporting features is the most important thing for us, which we hope to see in future versions. However, at least for standard processes, it does give us what we are looking for. We can work with cybernetics cloud integration, and that gives us very good insights. So it's not necessarily about making up a gap in the technology, it's more of a matter of being able to better handle who is responsible for what inside the organization.

I have been using SAP SuccessFactors for more than three years.

It is stable.

It's scalable and very easy to do so.

My experience with the technical support has been good. There's something new with their support called Wizard Guide which is a type of knowledge base where you can search for a specific issue and it will give you some notes about it. If the notes aren't enough, you can then simply open an incident.

There are several tools for opening an incident. You can have a quick chat with a technical person directly, who you can exchange ideas with. This is usually for how-to questions.

Then, there's the ability to schedule meetings with the technical support. In a meeting, you can explain the problem you are facing, and they will either support you on the spot or you will have to open an additional incident ticket. For the new incident process, you need to classify which area of which module you're having a problem with and then wait for a response.

Within a maximum of three days, they will have an answer for you. If you need faster support, there's high priority support which is able to respond in one to two hours, but this isn't something we have used yet. High priority support is more for situations where a system cannot be reached at all, or where something has been greatly affected in the production system and you don't have any workarounds at hand.

They offer their support 24/7, answer very quickly, and they even call you to make sure that you are doing well. Sometimes, when you are enabling new features or facing issues, and you haven't even opened a ticket or anything, they will detect the issue and send an email to you directly to make sure you that you are coming along. For example, they'll tell you, "Please go to steps 1 to 3 to fix your issue." So they are very good and cooperative when it comes to technical support.

I have worked with Oracle before, but in Oracle OTL, Oracle Fusion, and Oracle Cloud, there's a lot missing in terms of time management. In SuccessFactors, it is much better, and even though there is still a way to go, they have already made some significant improvements in this area.

The initial setup can be easy or hard, depending on how you go about it. If you go with the best practices, then you hardly need any setup. You simply adopt the existing processes and this is very easy and straightforward.

If you go without the best practices, such as when the company asks for new processes that are not included, or if you have to do a complex setup right from the beginning, then it will take some effort. But overall, the setup is still very easy.

It all starts with the data model, and obviously this requires someone experienced in Excel, etc., but once it is up and running, you will have screens that can be managed through the SuccessFactors' system without using any XML process. This makes things much more flexible in terms of setup compared to before. For any new processes you'd like to add, you can go directly to the upgrade center and select whichever optional upgrades you want. Thus, enhancing the software is very easy and doesn't take much time.

For any new process or for something already added to the SuccessFactors or SAP library, you can just go directly to the upgrade center, see the optional upgrade, and select it. Once you upgrade it, you have your setup, and you can work right away.

What other advice do I have?

They say nothing is perfect, but honestly, the SuccessFactors product is essentially perfect in my eyes. It fits all the requirements we have and solves every problem we encounter. Whenever there is a problem we need to overcome, we can easily find a similar solution and adapt it to our situation. It's rare finding software that gives you lots of solutions for any particular problem you are thinking about.

The only reason I would not rate SuccessFactors a perfect ten is because if you do find yourself missing some feature that is relevant for your organization, you will have to go develop it yourself.

I would rate SAP SuccessFactors a nine out of ten.

SAP SuccessFactors
    November 2022
    655,774 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    FaizMohammed - PeerSpot reviewer
    SUPERVISOR at Falcon Pack
    360-degree solution for team management with many customization options
    • "One of the most wonderful features is the ability to customize the modules and workflows. So far, we've done a fair bit of customization and it is helping us a lot and really adds to the value we already get from SuccessFactors."
    • "One of the most essential features that needs improvement right now is the reporting functionality. SuccessFactors' reports seem to be lagging a bit behind and we are very interested in customizing the reporting mechanism such that it pushes reports through quickly and automatically."

What is our primary use case?

We are using SAP SuccessFactors in combination with many different modules from SAP in order to manage everything from plant maintenance to deposit systems, finances, procurement, and more. In total, there are about 29 different SAP modules in use across the organization.

Within SuccessFactors, I have set up a team management system where various components handle recruitment, compensation and benefits, visa and permit management, training and development, and other custom management workflows. All of these use cases form part of our master employee data center.

How has it helped my organization?

Every aspect of SuccessFactors is important to our organization because all of our team members have a set of roles to perform and I can't compromise on anything when it comes to managing employees.

For example, I cannot compromise on the recruitment area, nor can I compromise on compensation and benefits, or training. These factors are equally important and SuccessFactors help to ensure that these areas are all accounted for and fully utilized.

Taken together, all the features that SuccessFactors provides are absolutely vital in order for our organization to function.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I definitely expect more improvements to come from SAP in the future. In terms of customization and additional features, there are pros and cons to adding extra functionality in any kind of software, but it's always welcome.

During and after the implementation phase we have been continually exploring the solution because once they provide us with the product, they sort of leave us to it, whether we are going to use it for only a short time or for the next decade or so. Thus, we (and SAP) need to ensure that we are able to keep customizing and tweaking processes over time.

One of the most essential features that needs improvement right now is the reporting functionality. SuccessFactors' reports seem to be lagging a bit behind and we are very interested in customizing the reporting mechanism such that it pushes reports through quickly and automatically. This is one of the main areas we are looking to improve currently, but when it comes to the bigger picture, we're hoping that SAP improves on the customization aspect more generally. This will help us not only in improving our reporting system, but in other areas as well.

I have been using SAP SuccessFactors for close to three years now.

I have found the stability of SuccessFactors to be on par with other ERPs. And with my frequent exposure to HRMS and other tools, I would even say that SuccessFactors has an edge over these other solutions in this regard. If you're not utilizing the full capability of the solution, however, you are not easily going to see the benefits of it. As long as you are using it fully and effectively, SuccessFactors will perform as you need it to.

I can't comment much on maintenance because we leave that to the IT
    department. They have around 20 employees, but not all of them are
    working solely on supporting SuccessFactors because it is just one of
    about 29 other SAP modules that we are using (not to mention the eCommerce side of our business), and there are many other tasks which they carry out.

I would rate the scalability at around 4/5 stars. We have close to 2,000 users who have been granted access to SuccessFactors, and these users can log in and use the various features (of which there are many) at any time.

We're also currently expanding to the US and UK, and scaling up SuccessFactors for these expansions is mostly a matter of extending our resources and licenses.

Prior to using SAP SuccessFactors, we were using Sage Accpac. This solution had very limited capabilities which we were using to manage our employee centers (e.g. for compensation and benefits). Significantly, it did not include features such as recruitment, talent management, succession planning, or visa management. It was not a 360-degree solution at all, unlike what we get from SAP SuccessFactors. Once we switched to SuccessFactors and started enjoying all of its features, it's really given us an edge and things have been going great.

Before we began the setup, we engaged in requirement gathering, brainstorming, kickoff meetings, and various other sessions that really gave us an edge when it came to the actual implementation. Prior to SuccessFactors, we already had other software in use and when we had to migrate everything over to SuccessFactors, we made sure that we were fully prepared.

Reflecting on the initial challenges we faced during the migration, I can advise that, without a doubt, the most important thing is to spend enough time gathering all your requirements and data before you jump in.

On the whole, I wouldn't say it was easy to implement. Because it was a matter of adding something completely new to the organization, it had its ups and downs, and I would lean toward calling the setup moderately difficult.

We implemented SuccessFactors with the help of a consultant in addition to SAP. It was during the time of Covid-19 lockdowns so our implementation process was somewhat intermittent, but we were able to manage with the help of limited remote support. Because the support was not always available, it took around five to eight months to fully migrate to SuccessFactors from our previous solution (Sage Accpac). Perhaps during normal conditions, it wouldn't have taken as long.

The ROI we're seeing can be summed up as, "So far, so good," because after we moved from Sage Accpac to SuccessFactors the value has definitely been adding up over time. Of course, there is still more to be seen in terms of ROI, and I would rate the ROI 3/5 stars.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate SAP SuccessFactors an eight out of ten.

Uma Das - PeerSpot reviewer
    AVP - HR IT at a consumer goods company with 10,001+ employees
    Offers flexibility and easy configuration; can handle different types of performance management
    • "This solution offers good flexibility and configurability. It can handle different types of performance management."
    • "User experience for this solution needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use SAP SuccessFactors for our performance management, goal setting, performance evaluation, and employee confirmation, e.g. employee letters. We also use it as an employee self-service tool for personal data updates, life cycle events, and learning management.

What is most valuable?

It's the performance management feature that I find most valuable in this product. As for the product itself, I like its flexibility and configurability. It can handle different types of performance management from one organization to another, and this is one of its best features.

What needs improvement?

What needs to be improved in this product is the user experience. In general, for SAP products including SuccessFactors, the user experience is not so great, particularly the whole user interface. A lot of new age products beat them on that.

While SAP products are great from functionality and feature standpoints, the whole user experience element is always lacking. That's one area SAP should focus on.

There are other areas where we have not liked SuccessFactors. For example, as a recruitment solution, it's not great for onboarding and exit. Two years ago, we decided to use a different product for recruitment, onboarding, and exit. We're no longer using SAP SuccessFactors for those activities.

I've been using this solution for 10 years.

This solution is extremely stable.

I found this solution absolutely scalable.

SAP has implementation partners, so the technical support is given by the implementation partner. We have not contacted SAP for support, but as far as SuccessFactors is concerned, any product level support and response is very good. It's very well-structured and well-governed. They have a knowledge-rich library that you could always go to. There's also some forums where you can go and ask questions and get answers to your problems. The ecosystem itself is quite strong, including their responses as far as support is concerned.

The decision on which solution to use happened between 2010 to 2011. When we made the decision, it was not with SAP. SuccessFactors was a different organization.

During that time, the reason for moving to SuccessFactors was because we were looking for a SaaS-based product in performance management and there was nothing better than SAP SuccessFactors then.

If I look at the last three, four, or five years, and why we have stayed with SuccessFactors and continued with it, it was because of global scalability. We are a global organization. When you are an India-based company and headquartered in India, the only options you have are Oracle and SuccessFactors.

Performance and talent are the main focus areas for us and even today, SuccessFactors is much better in performance management and talent modules than Oracle, so we've stayed on. The other reason for staying with this solution is change management. Why change unless something is significantly better?

I wasn't there during the setup, but I don't think the setup was complex because there were a few things we've implemented and implementation of those weren't complex.

We have a yearly license for this solution. Any additional costs we pay to the implementation partner, to the support partner, but not to SAP.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is a SaaS. It is deployed on the cloud.

I might have gone to your site out of curiosity, but we already have SAP SuccessFactors. We are using SAP SuccessFactors.

We have 7,500 users for this solution in our organization. We don't need much staff for its maintenance. We are using SAP SuccessFactors extensively. As for plans for increasing its usage, we definitely want to if the business and our headcount grows: We will use it for more users. As of now, no plans of increasing usage of this solution.

My advice to anybody implementing this product is to first have a SaaS mindset. It's a SaaS product, so you can't have an on-premise mindset of "I'll give whatever requirements and the product should do it." Having a SaaS mindset is my first advice.

My second advice is to keep in mind that these products give recommended practices based on which the product is built. If you could tweak your processes to embrace the recommended practices by SuccessFactors, then your chances of becoming successful, or embracing the product is going to be much higher.

My third advice is to stay with SAP SuccessFactors and use all the modules together. For example, there are modules for recruitment or onboarding where you may have certain functionalities missing, but if you could keep as many HR processes on the same product integrated, then the employee experience is going to be much better, compared to trying to use SuccessFactors for a particular purpose, then another product for performance, another product for learning, etc. It's better if you could be on an integrated solution, so your user experience and your adoption at the end of the day will be much better.

I would give this product an eight out of ten rating.

Country Expert Total Workforce Managemnet/ Learning & Development at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    Stable and globally accessible, but needs more features and better user experience, flexibility, and integrations
    • "It has a global database, and it is globally accessible. By using this solution, we have moved away from paper, which is a big step for us."
    • "Its overall integration and user experience can be improved. SuccessFactors is a system that is built out of three different systems. The elements part was bought from Plateau, and the original performance dialogue was built by SuccessFactors itself. After that, SAP bought it, and it hasn't improved in the last few years. SuccessFactors is a perfect tool if you use it the way it is meant to be, but if you start building custom sessions and try to use it differently, then it is a total mess. It is not agile. It is like an old Mastodon truck or whatever. We don't have the Employee Central and Competence Management modules. Our company made the choice to not implement the Employee Central module. We also didn't implement the Competence Management module. We use the learning module to do some competence management, but I am not that fond of it. It would have been best to have the whole suite. SAP should never sell this without selling the whole suite because it just doesn't work. The biggest gain for me would be having the possibility of doing strategic personnel planning and managing internal mobility. If it could be used for social purposes, such as creating communities and connecting with media channels, that would be perfect. It should also have the possibilities for local admin and agile product development."

What is our primary use case?

It is a personnel administration tool. As a normal associate, I use it for performance dialogues and training management. I also use it for reporting on the LMS module. We are using the SaaS version of this solution.

What is most valuable?

It has a global database, and it is globally accessible. By using this solution, we have moved away from paper, which is a big step for us.

What needs improvement?

Its overall integration and user experience can be improved. SuccessFactors is a system that is built out of three different systems. The elements part was bought from Plateau, and the original performance dialogue was built by SuccessFactors itself. After that, SAP bought it, and it hasn't improved in the last few years.

SuccessFactors is a perfect tool if you use it the way it is meant to be, but if you start building custom sessions and try to use it differently, then it is a total mess. It is not agile. It is like an old Mastodon truck or whatever.

We don't have the Employee Central and Competence Management modules. Our company made the choice to not implement the Employee Central module. We also didn't implement the Competence Management module. We use the learning module to do some competence management, but I am not that fond of it. It would have been best to have the whole suite. SAP should never sell this without selling the whole suite because it just doesn't work.

The biggest gain for me would be having the possibility of doing strategic personnel planning and managing internal mobility. If it could be used for social purposes, such as creating communities and connecting with media channels, that would be perfect. It should also have the possibilities for local admin and agile product development.

I have been using this solution for four years.

It is stable enough. It has around 98% stability. There are accessibility issues, but they could be because of any reason, such as our network.

If you count associates, we are a 450,000 associate company. About one-third of them are not active users. We have roughly 300,000 users in all kinds of roles, such as managers, FMs, and associates.

Our company doesn't want to spend any more money on SuccessFactors. We are not really extending the solution. It would be wise if we could use it better. We don't do any strategic personnel planning.

I can't really evaluate SAP's technical support because there is so much bureaucracy in our support model. Support is not necessarily done in our country, and there is a really bureaucratic ticketing system behind it. We have national application specialists in every country. They are the guys who think about the right and proper text for the support tickets and how can a group in India or Stuttgart solve the problem.

From another perspective, because I am also in a group of global specialists, I know that SuccessFactors or SAP does not necessarily react quickly to the issues of their customers, which is logical because they need to scale as well.

We did use some local systems, but they are not comparable to this product. The biggest pro of SuccessFactors has to be the global database, and it is globally accessible with the integration with the management. I would always prefer a global solution instead of a local solution, but a local solution is like a Pappa and Mamma store on the corner. It is always more flexible, and it is logical.

We didn't have a good data set, so the personal master data was a mess. It was a lot of work, especially on the data side. After one or two years, we kind of fixed it.

It took about nine months to roll it out. We rolled it out in parts because we are a company that is active in 38 countries, with 450,000 associates. On our site, we had around 5,000 associates at that time. Currently, we have 4,000 associates because we are shrinking.

In terms of the implementation strategy, we are tech equipped company. It was designed without any negotiation or input from the end-user. It was a technology push if you want to see it like that.

We have our own SAP Competence center for its implementation. Its maintenance is handled by SAP.

Our release notes are every three months, but from a central department, we only implement them once a year. So, everything is collected somewhere in June or July. There is a big update instead of different small updates. The global application specialists are responsible for updates.

What other advice do I have?

I won't recommend this solution. I would say, "Don't do it." Cornerstone or Workday is way better.

I would rate SAP SuccessFactors a five out of ten.

Wael Elsagh - PeerSpot reviewer
    Solutions Architect at EJADA
    Offers many useful modules and integrations, and helps companies adhere to best practices
    • "The main advantage of SuccessFactors is its ability to add many types of integrations within the SAP Cloud platform. Many useful modules can be implemented alongside SuccessFactors as third-party integrations, and this capability to extend the system is a big plus."
    • "Overall, the documentation could be improved, and I think the learning management module needs to include more capabilities when it comes to matching an organization's particular learning approach."

What is our primary use case?

We are using SAP SuccessFactors in our customer's companies where it is deployed via the cloud. It is the core solution for payroll services, and we use its features in a number of areas including talent performance, recognitions, terminations, hire to retire programs, onboarding, management, HR analytics, and as a learning management system.

Currently, my company implements SuccessFactors for about eight different customers. For each one, we have about 10 to 20 administrators for all the various modules, managing about 200 to 1,000 employees at any given time.

What is most valuable?

The main advantage of SuccessFactors is its ability to add many types of integrations within the SAP Cloud platform. Many useful modules can be implemented alongside SuccessFactors as third-party integrations, and this capability to extend the system is a big plus.

Another positive for SuccessFactors is how it provides pre-defined best practices for building the solution, with plans that take you from A to Z directly. You don't need to build anything from scratch when you're using their implementation best practices for configuring the system.

Within these best practices, you also have a range of options for customization, such as with the Metadata Framework (MDF) and the Business Rules feature where you can create various conditions when it comes to managing customers.

What needs improvement?

Overall, the documentation could be improved, and I think the learning management module needs to include more capabilities when it comes to matching an organization's particular learning approach. The learning management system that they provide is somewhat lacking in compliance with modern approaches.

Further, I believe the access mechanism for the payroll system could use some improvements. The system uses what they call Payroll On-Prem, and it should provide the same kind of access that teams use when they are using any other module in SuccessFactors.

I have been using SAP SuccessFactors for about five years.

Thanks to its stability, a lot of customers are running SuccessFactors in a lot of different countries, and not just the MEA region. It's a very successful product in this sense.

SuccessFactors offers a lot when it comes to scalability, and they are working on making it better every day. One of the ways in which it scales nicely is in the fact that you can reuse a lot of components that already exist within the SAP platform. In addition, the embedded customizations that you create can also be transferred to other areas, letting you make use of existing capabilities elsewhere.

My company implements SuccessFactors for about eight customers at present, and for each customer we have about 10 to 20 administrators that take care of all the modules that are in use by about 200 to 1,000 employees.

In my opinion, the technical support is good enough.

I have used some local solutions before and I am also aware of comparable solutions such as Oracle HRMS. I believe SuccessFactors has the advantage over HRMS, and I have observed a few customers who have converted from HRMS to SuccessFactors.

Before SuccessFactors, however, I haven't been involved in any deployments for another type of HR solution.

The deployment of SuccessFactors is easy, though it can take from three to six months. There are a lot of different modules that each deployment requires, but luckily there are many common features that you can use across different deployments.

I think the pricing is a little better than most solutions out there. There are reasonable prices when it comes to some of the modules such as the Payroll module, and for the remaining modules I believe the pricing is fair in comparison to the rest of the market. When comparing SuccessFactors with other solutions with the same level of capabilities, the pricing is roughly on par.

When it comes to licensing, this depends on the users. Dealing with onboarding 100 to 200 users is a lot different than when you're dealing with 1,000 to 2,000 users.

What other advice do I have?

To those wanting to implement SuccessFactors, first you must review the best practices, how the server works, and all the modules you might want to use. This is important not only because you need to make sure that you will be utilizing SuccessFactors to the fullest, but also because it will help you in the future if you want to make revisions or change processes (e.g. how you approach HR operations with the capabilities that SuccessFactors offers).

By reviewing all the features and how your company can use them, you will get a good sense of the value that it can bring.

I would rate SAP SuccessFactors an eight out of ten.

ChristopherOrilogbon - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior partner at C2gconsulting
    There are several solutions built into it, like training and workforce analytics.
    • "All of SuccessFactors' features are useful, but there are several modules within SuccessFactors that I find handy. You have Employee Central, which manages employee records within the system. It manages all the information about an employee, including names, addresses, account numbers, positions, org charts, etc. It also handles performance reviews and KPIs for employees within an organization. Then you have succession planning and development as well."

What is our primary use case?

SAP SuccessFactors is a cloud-based HR solution. It used to be called HCM, which means "Human Capital Management," but SAP has since changed it to HXM, which is Human Experience Management. SAP SuccessFactors manages the journey of an employee from start to finish. Everything is managed within a single suite.

I have six clients using SuccessFactors: Happy Canyon, HSDS in Abuja, Manager Delta, Reinsurance, Reinsurance Capital, and ECOM, which is a cultural company.

What is most valuable?

All of SuccessFactors' features are useful, but there are several modules within SuccessFactors that I find handy. You have Employee Central, which manages employee records within the system. It manages all the information about an employee, including names, addresses, account numbers, positions, org charts, etc. It also handles performance reviews and KPIs for employees within an organization. Then you have succession planning and development as well.

There are several solutions built into it, like training and workforce analytics. From my own experience, I find the recruiting module to be fascinating because I've worked with it a lot. My company has deployed the recruiting module for a couple of organizations. For example, the African Union uses Human Capital and SuccessFactors. We deployed Employee Central and recruitment management for them. People can apply for a job, and you can track the applicant's progress within the same system, but you can't implement recruiting module as a standalone solution. You need to have Employee Central as part of the system as well.

What needs improvement?

I have raised change requests for some modules within SuccessFactors. For example, when you're using Recruiting Management, there's a feature called Interview Central you can use to reach the candidates you're interviewing. I wanted to add a writing assessment when I select the competency on that platform. It varies from consultant to consultant, depending on what module they use.

The tool that SAP uses to integrate SuccessFactors into other applications is quite expensive. When I deployed the solution for the African Union, we used the cloud platform integration tool. They're now using a tool now called BCP, but you also have the CPI inside it, too. The integration is seamless, but there are other ways to perform the integration.  You want to use web services for integration and all of that. So regardless, you can always integrate into it. It's very easy to actually do that as well.

I first used SuccessFactors in 2017, so it has been five years.

SuccessFactors is a highly stable solution.

SuccessFactors is scalable because they have different data centers across the world. As your data grows, the instance also grows. There's no failure on the platform. At most, you'll have a few hours of downtime on the weekend as they upgrade the system.

I rate SAP support 10 out of 10. They have different levels of support. The first is the customer, the second is partner support, and the third is SAP. Inside SAP SuccessFactors you have a lot of built-in support that you can leverage without calling anyone. A system admin can log into the system and chat with SAP directly if they are facing any challenges. Real-time support is available within the system.

Generally speaking, setting up SuccessFactors is straightforward, but some clients have complicated requirements. The standard SAP configuration is easy for consultants because they have a rapid implementation tool to deploy the baseline solution, so a client can have the system running in days. It depends on the client's requirements, but it is much easier for the end user than the consultant.

The total deployment time also varies depending on the modules. Let's say, you want to implement Employee Central plus the performance assessment and recruiting modules. This might be tricky depending on the size of the organization. Implementing this solution for a large organization requires a lot of data work to gather employee information. If you have all the employee records in place, you can deploy the solution in three months. When you don't have the data, you need to gather it and create templates. It can take much longer to deploy.

SuccessFactors is expensive but it could be cheaper depending on the customer. My company is a large value-added reseller. We buy from SAP and sell to other clients. We also have the power to give clients discounts depending on the size of their budgets and how eager we are to win their business.

What other advice do I have?

I rate SAP SuccessFactors nine out of 10 because the improvements are underway. They also have a Customer Influence platform where customers suggest ideas about ways to improve the system. They release new features every quarter.

ChristopherOrilogbon - PeerSpot reviewer
      Senior partner at C2gconsulting
      Enabled us to efficiently manage our personnel and has the ability to set and review goals
      • "It has improved my organization by enabling us to efficiently manage our personnel."
      • "Also, it would be helpful if they could improve its ability to localize the product to Nigeria."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use this product for employee management. This includes an objective assessment of money made, creating performance reviews, and recruiting new employees and management.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved my organization by enabling us to efficiently manage our personnel.

What is most valuable?

The features that I have found most valuable are the ability to set and review goals, and the ability to manage performance in general.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what needs improvement, in Employee Central, one of the features that I think SuccessFactors really lacks is the ability to view the time off of all employees at an organizational level. We have had instances where some of our clients wanted a version where at a glance, we can have an HR analytics that shows who is on leave, or has been on leave and when. You have that at a team level and at a peer level, but you don't have it at an organizational level. When you have to put together an agreement on leave with your client this is very lacking.

I have been using this solution since early 2017.

I think it's a stable solution. We have not had any issues with its deployment or use. It's been stable, so I don't know if there are any issues because we haven't had any challenges around it.

My impression of SuccessFactors is that it is quite scalable. For example, we have clients who have slightly above 800 employees who are using it. We have clients that have over 1000 users using this. I also read online a few months back about a Russian bank that uses SuccessFactors with about 75,000 employees. It's the same product. All you need to do is to get different licenses.

If we had any issues that we were unable to resolve, we can always receive support from SAP. We raise an incident with them, and they respond depending on your priority. If you put priority one, it's almost an instant response. They reach out to you within an hour. On that call they asses the true priority level. If it's something we have to resolve as soon as possible, they will. While if it's something that is less of a priority, they will change the priority to something lower. But what I find is that at the end of the day, you always get a very good response from SAP.

Actually I haven't used a different solution.

The initial setup is straightforward because there are templates and best practices. We can just click on the button from the online center, deploy it into the system, and it sets it up for us.

The time it takes to deploy depends on the requirements and it depends on the number of modes that you deploy. As long as you have clear requirements from the client, it can take between three and four months. It doesn’t take too much time to deploy as long as you have clear requirements.

I work for a partner. I did the deployment with some of my team members.

Before choosing SuccessFactors, we compared other industry solutions, including Microsoft. But Microsoft's HR product is really not top line in this part of the world.

What other advice do I have?

I think the advice I'd give is that it's a nice solution. It's easy to deploy. It's so easy to use. You really don't need to know much about coding or be a highly technical team to be able to use it. It’s very easy to use. For example, for the traditional ERP that SAP had before, you had to be instructed to work with it. This one is really straightforward.

Other
      Download our free SAP SuccessFactors Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
      Updated: November 2022