SAP HCM OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SAP HCM is the #5 ranked solution in top Benefits Administration tools and top Talent Management tools. PeerSpot users give SAP HCM an average rating of 7.4 out of 10. SAP HCM is most commonly compared to SAP SuccessFactors: SAP HCM vs SAP SuccessFactors. SAP HCM is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 64% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.

Download the Benefits Administration Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is SAP HCM?

SAP HR (Human Resource Management), also known as "Human Capital Management" (HCM), is an important module in SAP ERP systems that supports all of the human resource management processes in the enterprise.

SAP HR records the data from the hiring of an employee to its final termination in the organization. It stores employee data such as designation, role, salary details, working shifts, address, etc.

SAP HCM was previously known as SAP Human Capital Management.

SAP HCM Customers

City of Cape Town, ADAMA Agricultural Solutions Ltd., TransAlta Corporation, Keolis, PT XL Axiata Tbk, National Football League (NFL), Plan International, Yoh, A Day & Zimmermann Company, China Talent Group (CTG TMO), Umicore S.A., Butterfield Bank, Skrill Group Ltd.

SAP HCM Video

SAP HCM Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SAP HCM pricing:
  • "The pricing is not reasonable at all."
  • "We have an annual license for this solution, and the price depends on the number of users."
  • "The cost of SAP HCM is high, the license should be reduced. SAP HCM has a lot of hidden costs."
  • "The solution is a little expensive and we are charged per user for the license. The solution can be paid monthly or annually."
  • "Licensing fees are paid yearly."
  • SAP HCM Reviews

Dave Dumeni - PeerSpot reviewer
    Project Manager at Telecom Namibia
    Allows us to do all of our HR management processes, including payroll and personal administration
    • "Technical support is excellent."
    • "The current platform is quite rigid and not as flexible and end-user friendly as other HR solutions."

What is our primary use case?

We basically use the solution to do all our HR management processes. That includes our payroll processes and our personal administration. We use time management as well as recruitment processes on the system.

The solution is deployed on-premises.

What needs improvement?

HCM is actually moving over to the cloud, which is Success Factors or S/4HANA.  It's a better solution than the current platform because the current platform is quite rigid and not as flexible and end-user friendly as other HR solutions.

This is a transaction driven type of system, whereby a user actually has to know or understand a certain transaction code.

If they have no idea, they will not be able to do anything. From that perspective, there are a couple of drawbacks. The solution is of course not as flexible. It's more than an application. It was the best back then, but things have evolved and technology has evolved significantly. People want easier to work with applications.

The graphic user interface could be improved. It's not for a use of 20. I think the most improvement will be on the front-end than the back-end.

I have been using this solution for over 12 years. I am using version ECC 6.0.

SAP HCM is stable.

Benefits Administration
    November 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about SAP, Workday, Oracle and others in Benefits Administration. Updated: November 2022.
    655,994 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is scalable. We have approximately 1,300 employees in our organization. They are using the system either directly or indirectly. Indirectly in the sense that we have the employee portal, where the employees actually use the self-service portal and can do their own things, like leave applications. Almost everyone in the organization uses the system, but of course in a different way.

Right now, we don't have any plans to increase usage in the future.

Technical support is excellent.

Initial setup was complex. On a scale of one to five, I would give it a four.

It normally takes over a year to implement these types of solutions.

We used the SAP partner for deployment. Our experience was quite good.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.

The current solution is phasing out. If you are purchasing it, then it shouldn't be for long-term usage. I think SAP has customers' usage up to 20 or 25 for the current platform, by which everyone needs to upgrade to their newer versions or newer applications. Otherwise, if you are planning to implement HCM in the current type of module and version, then you actually are not doing justice to yourself. I would advise that you go for Success Factors, which has a fresher look and maybe some other tools that are available.

Sara Kadry - PeerSpot reviewer
    HR Digital Transformation Senior Manager at Integrated Diagnostics Holdings PLC
    A good solution for core modules like personnel and payroll, but needs a total upgrade to the talent management modules
    • "Recently, the localization versions for different countries were increased, and that added value to the solution."
    • "There needs to be a renovation of the interface and functionalities of the talent management modules."

What is most valuable?

The core modules of this solution are for personnel and payroll, which is the basic setup for any HRIS system.

What needs improvement?

SAP needs a total upgrade to the user interface. I've worked with the performance module and the objectives and goals module in HCM and they're far from being satisfying to any customer compared to what exists now with SuccessFactors.

SAP also needs to apply better practices to the talent management modules. There needs to be a renovation of the interface and functionalities of the talent management modules.

I have been working with this product since 2010, so about 12 years.

The solution is stable. Recently, the localization versions for different countries were increased, and that added value to the solution. We work in Egypt and we spent a lot of time working with the international version until the localized version was released, so it's a plus to have increased localization of the product.

Scaling is just a matter of changing the license and there aren't any problems with that. My current customer using this solution has about 5,000 employees. SAP HCM is suitable for enterprise companies.

Sometimes the tech support is good and they have quick responses, and sometimes we face delays in the response. I don't know what it depends on, but each case is different. I'm not always satisfied and I'm not always dissatisfied.

I haven't faced any problems when implementing HCM. Usually, we don't implement the entire package. The personnel administration and payroll modules take two to three months to install and implement.

The pricing is not reasonable at all. That's why the product needs to be used by an enterprise, because the pricing is not okay for medium or small companies.

SuccessFactors is trending now because it's more user-friendly and more rapid for all the advanced modules, such as the recruiting performance, and SAP HCM is not satisfying to customers anymore.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to stick to the core modules on SAP HCM, because it is not the best choice for talent management modules.

I would rate the product as an eight out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Consultant.
    Benefits Administration
    November 2022
    655,994 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Manager Finance at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Stable and scalable but is fairly expensive
    • "We've found that the solution has the capability to scale."
    • "The solution is rather expensive."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for automating HR processes.

What is most valuable?

The product has been very stable overall.

We've found that the solution has the capability to scale.

What needs improvement?

The solution is rather expensive.

I'd like to see the solution offer even more stability in future releases.

We have been on the solution for many years. We started using it originally in 2013.

The stability of the solution is pretty good overall. It's reliable and the performance is good. It doesn't crash or freeze. There are no bugs or glitches. It's good.

That said, stability is an area that can be constantly improved upon.

The scalability of the solution is okay. It's possible to expand it. that's not a problem.

We have about 20 to 30 people using the product within our organization.

We do not plan to increase usage. We are not planning to continue to use it at all. We are moving away from it entirely.

I've never been in touch with technical support at all. I have no idea if they respond quickly or if they are knowledgeable enough about the product. I can't give any insights due to my lack of experience dealing with them directly.

While we are currently using SAP HCM, we are in the process of scrapping it and moving over to SAP SuccessFactors.

I do not have very good knowledge of the pricing itself. It's not an aspect of the solution I directly deal with. However, it's my understanding that the cost is quite high.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the solution at a six out of ten.

We're actually moving away from it currently, and are in the process of doing so right now.

I would not necessarily recommend the solution to other users or organizations. There are other options on the market that may be more suitable.

Sameer Younas - PeerSpot reviewer
    Team Leader at Fauji Meat Limited
    A powerful, user-friendly tool for maintaining company data
    • "When you maintain your data in SAP, you can generate any kind of HR report with one click."
    • "It would be very helpful for our company if a new version was released with the ability to contain all of the things that we have newly introduced in our company."

What is our primary use case?

We begin using this solution when we hire an employee. We input all of their family details, bank details, and the wage we decide on during the interview. We enter all of their initial information in SAP, then we generate their new employee number.

What is most valuable?

I think that it's a very powerful tool for maintaining your company data. When you maintain your data in SAP, you can generate any kind of HR report with one click.

What needs improvement?

We input all of our workflows into SAP to make our work environment better. All of our new projects and new policies will be implemented in SAP. It would be very helpful for our company if a new version was released with the ability to contain all of the things that we have newly introduced in our company.

I have been using this solution for 12-13 years.

This solution is stable.

600-700 people use this solution in our company. The supply chain management department, internal audit department, IT, and the administration department use SAP HCM.

I would rate the technical support as a five out of five. With the support team, you can easily satisfy your clients.

What other advice do I have?

My company chose this solution because it is very important and famous all over the world, and its reporting tool is very good. I would recommend it, and my advice to someone considering this solution is that it is a very user-friendly software. I would rate it as a ten out of ten.

SAP HCM has totally integrated our work. We left a manual environment, and much of our work is now automated with this solution.

Kumar Madhur - PeerSpot reviewer
    Service Delivery Project Manager at HCL Technologies
    High performance, high availability, but more resources needed
    • "SAP HCM has a good performance."
    • "SAP HCM could improve by having more resources and making it more user-friendly. It is complex."

What is our primary use case?

SAP HCM is used by our clients for all their business processes, such as HR, finance, procurement, and supply chains.

What is most valuable?

SAP HCM has a good performance.

What needs improvement?

I have been using SAP HCM for approximately 20 years.

The stability of SAP HCM is good.

SAP HCM is a scalable solution.

We have over 20 clients using this solution.

The support services are not good for SAP HCM. It could be faster.

I have previously used other solutions, such as Oracle.

The initial implementation of SAP HCM is complicated. It's complicated for users and for implementers. It took a lot of time to do the implementation. For example, to do the complete UK payroll implementation, can take approximately nine months.

The amount of people we need to support the solution depends on the project, but per client support, you need approximately 10 people to support one client.

The cost of SAP HCM is high, the license should be reduced. SAP HCM has a lot of hidden costs.

What other advice do I have?

There are two people have to do before implementing SAP HCM. One is the license cost. SAP HCM has a lot of hidden costs. They charge per module, they should be aware of what exactly they are going to use. They have to be clear about whether SAP HCM is a good solution for them or possibly another one, such as Oracle.

I rate SAP HCM a seven out of ten.

CEO at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Support large user numbers, easy to manage, but price could improve
    • "SAP HCM can handle a large number of employees. We can easily process payrolls and check the arrangements, and the client can also check the performance of the employees. Additionally, it has some advanced features."

What is our primary use case?

We use SAP HCM as a human resources management system for tasks, such as payroll and attendance.

What is most valuable?

SAP HCM can handle a large number of employees. We can easily process payrolls and check the arrangements, and the client can also check the performance of the employees. Additionally, it has some advanced features.

It can be integrated into any platform and is very secure. It's very difficult to access SAP's database, and if anyone tries to log in, his computer's name and password amongst other information will be saved in the system. We can integrate your fingerprint in the system to automatically log in to the system. The integration is very good with other applications.

I have been using SAP HCM for approximately six years.

The solution is stable.

SAP HCM is scalable, the client can modify according to their needs.

We have approximately 500 people using this solution.

The support has been very good.

You can implement SAP HCM in three months minimum, and if you need more customization, then it can take more time.

We have up to thirty engineers available to do the implementation and maintenance of the solution. The size of the deployment dictates how many engineers we will need.

What other advice do I have?

I rate SAP HCM a seven out of ten.

Senior SAP HCM Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Better alternative products available, support could improve, but simple setup

What is our primary use case?

In general, we use SAP HCM for career management models. For example, appraisals, training, courses, planning, plan courses in the system. It is an integration between SAP compliance and the federal government.

I worked with other systems and other solutions that can be integrated with SAP. For example, I worked in SuccessFactors in a company that has other systems integrated with SAP On-premise. I know the KPI without the integration tools with these other systems.

I have been using SAP HCM for approximately 14 years.

SAP HCM is stable.

I have found SAP HCM to be scalable.

SAP HCM has many different channels for communication with the consultants which makes it complex. There are delays when there is a problem.

I have previously used Workday, Oracle AME, and SuccessFactors.

SuccessFactors was very complex to use for the public sector.

The setup was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

It is important to understand the process, the project, and the architecture before getting involved in these types of solutions.

I would recommend this solution to others. The solution has improved over the years. For global industries, I recommend companies implement SuccessFactors or Workday.

I rate SAP HCM a four out of ten.

Director & CHRO at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
      Easy to install, scales well, reliable, and has interesting features for learning
      • "They have some interesting features in the learning space."
      • "The extensibility of the integration could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for all of the organization's HR needs.

What is most valuable?

Most of it is similar to Oracle HCM.

They have some interesting features in the learning space.

What needs improvement?

The extensibility that SuccessFactors talks about is when we are required to create an add-on solution or a small application, that could be developed within the ecosystem of the Oracle HCM itself, and then integrate it easily.

This is a feature that we can look forward to seeing in  SAP as well.

The extensibility of the integration could be improved.

I have a lot of experience with SAP. I have been working with SAP for nine years.

We are using the latest version.

I have no issues with the stability of SAP HCM.

SAP HCM is a scalable product.

We have approximately 32,000 users in our organization who use this solution.

Technical support is a strong team.

The initial setup was straightforward. It was good.

Licensing fees are paid yearly.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate SAP HCM an eight out of ten.

Download our free Benefits Administration Report and find out what your peers are saying about SAP, Workday, Oracle, and more!
      Updated: November 2022