SAP HCM OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SAP HCM is the #5 ranked solution in top Benefits Administration tools and top Talent Management tools. PeerSpot users give SAP HCM an average rating of 7.4 out of 10. SAP HCM is most commonly compared to SAP SuccessFactors: SAP HCM vs SAP SuccessFactors. SAP HCM is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 63% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.

Download the Benefits Administration Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is SAP HCM?

SAP HR (Human Resource Management), also known as "Human Capital Management" (HCM), is an important module in SAP ERP systems that supports all of the human resource management processes in the enterprise.

SAP HR records the data from the hiring of an employee to its final termination in the organization. It stores employee data such as designation, role, salary details, working shifts, address, etc.

SAP HCM was previously known as SAP Human Capital Management.

SAP HCM Customers

City of Cape Town, ADAMA Agricultural Solutions Ltd., TransAlta Corporation, Keolis, PT XL Axiata Tbk, National Football League (NFL), Plan International, Yoh, A Day & Zimmermann Company, China Talent Group (CTG TMO), Umicore S.A., Butterfield Bank, Skrill Group Ltd.

SAP HCM Video

Archived SAP HCM Reviews (more than two years old)

Ashaylin Govender - PeerSpot reviewer
Applications Specialist at Bidvest Tank Terminals
Good personnel administration features, but the setup is complex and it should be more user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is as an HR and payroll system that is used to manage our organization.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the Personnel Administration.

What needs improvement?

The Time Management feature is not very user-friendly.

The speed of technical support can be improved.

The configuration requires somebody with technical know-how, and it would be better if it were easier to do.

We have been using SAP HCM for two years, since 2018.

Benefits Administration
November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about SAP, Workday, Oracle and others in Benefits Administration. Updated: November 2022.
653,584 professionals have used our research since 2012.

This is a stable product.

SAP HCM is scalable.

I wouldn't say that the technical support is the greatest. They take quite a long time to respond to issues.

The initial setup is complex. The deployment took between six and eight months. It is not an instant process.

We used consultants to assist with the deployment.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I can recommend.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Owner & Founder at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Provides talent, recruitment, and learning features, but needs a single integration point and modern architecture
  • "I like the talent, recruitment, and learning features the most."
  • "I would like it to move more towards a single data space, a single data source. SAP as a platform relies on multiple data sources because traditionally, it's been bolted together by the acquisition of other products rather than a single database. That's why there are lots of points of failure and lots of required points of integration. They need a single integration point."

What is most valuable?

I like the talent, recruitment, and learning features the most.

What needs improvement?

I would like it to move more towards a single data space or a single data source. SAP as a platform relies on multiple data sources because traditionally, it has been bolted together by the acquisition of other products rather than a single database. That's why there are a lot of points of failure and a lot of required points of integration. They need a single integration point.

We are using SAP SuccessFactors. I know of and have been exposed to SAP for about 10 years.

I work with companies to determine whether SAP needs to be replaced or not. I do transformation programs. These transformation programs determine whether the existing system is SAP, whether it's fit for the purpose, and whether it should be changed to something like Workday because of the features Workday has. I don't physically use the product.

I wouldn't say so. We, as a company, experience regular problems with it.

It is scalable.

I have not personally dealt with them.

SAP is extremely expensive. The integration costs and customization costs are also a lot.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend a more modern version of it. My experience of SAP is with earlier versions. SAP is an aging system, so it doesn't stack up against tools like Workday.

I would rate SAP HCM a seven out of ten, but it really depends on the use cases. It depends on why and for what a company is implementing SAP. There are many elements of SAP.

I don't think it would ever get to a ten in my view because there are other products that are better than this and work in a much easier, simpler fashion. As a product, SAP is very complicated and complex to use. The only thing to do is to move towards a more modern architecture for SAP. I don't think that's ever going to happen, so I wouldn't ever give it a 10.

Private Cloud
Benefits Administration
November 2022
653,584 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user1220727 - PeerSpot reviewer
Interface Developer at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Good organizational management functionality and technical support
  • "The most valuable feature is Organizational Management (OM)."
  • "This solution needs to be more configurable and user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We use SAP HCM to store and manage organizational data such as OM data, job profile data, solution data, HC data, and call center data.

Currently, we are in the process of migrating our SAP HR system to Workday. This is the process that I am involved in at the moment.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is Organizational Management (OM).

What needs improvement?

This solution needs to be more configurable and user-friendly.

People who work with HCM need to have the proper knowledge of coding.

I have been using SAP HCM for more than two years.

The scalability is good. We have between 1,000 and 3,000 users.

I have been in touch with technical support once or twice. Our problems were resolved very fast so I would say that the support is good.

We are currently in the process of migrating to Workday, which is more user-friendly.

The two solutions are similar; Workday has improved on some of the things that SAP can do, whereas SAP can do some things more efficiently. Also, SAP can do some things that Workday cannot. One example is the address formatting. For example, in India, the format of addresses is different than in the US and some other countries. We have had challenges mapping the addresses to Workday from SAP.

With Workday, you do not need to be a program developer.

What other advice do I have?

SAP HCM is a solution that I recommend. It is a good product, but if it were more configurable and you did not need to develop as much code then it would be better.

AhmedAbdelhady - PeerSpot reviewer
Executive Manager & CO. Founder at Phoenix Consulting
Some capabilities are self-service for the employees which cuts down on administrative time
  • "HCM is a very important module that each organization should want to use. It will help any organization to calculate and control the cost of their human resources."
  • "SAP now does the most innovation for the cloud solution and less innovation for the on-premises client."

What is our primary use case?

I'm an SAP consultant and I have companies in Egypt and France that do SAP consultancy. We are specialists in SAP activities, SAP implementation, network building for HCM finance controlling, warehouse management, SAP retail plus migration of projects, BI, and strategic management. We have all these capabilities in our company and use them to help clients make the most of their SAP HCM implementations.

Human Capital Management is a powerful tool for organization management. It helps to define the organizational structure and support the company. It helps with the administration of things like maintaining employee information, tracking education and learning, administering insurance and healthcare, and all other facets of human resources. It helps monitor a lot of things that would otherwise take a lot of time and effort to make them not just easier, but automated.

One of the most powerful tools in SAP is its integration with finance and other modules. Some of the capabilities are self-service for the employees which cut down on administrative time. For example, scheduling vacation leaves is done by the employee directly and the notification process and approval are all automated.

The most interesting change to SAP is that it is now all available on the cloud. Before it was only on-premises. Cloud offers a lot more opportunity as well as potential cost reduction.

My partners in the company were already leading HR consultants in the market in the Middle East when we formed our company. They were working with HCM locally in the Gulf and the Middle East. Our company has around six to seven permanently employed HR consultants. We sometimes use freelancers depending on the volume of our work and commitments.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features have to do with finance and payroll. Some organizations — like banking, insurance, and the government — are regulated and can not or do not want to host their critical financial data and employee data on the cloud. What we are doing right now for clients of this sort is we split the implementation to their advantage. We put financial and personal information management on-premises and the other information which is not critical — like learning, performance and setting goals — goes on cloud and we integrate those solutions. We use the cloud when data is not critical for security purposes and when it is not confidential. This can save the client money.

What needs improvement?

This product has a lot of features that are much improved and more advanced than other solutions. In our area of the Gulf region and the Middle East, a lot of organizations depend on it because it meets with regulation compliance and security concerns. So government and banking depend on the SAP HCM solution for administration on-premises.

SAP had developed new screens for the latest release of SAP HANA for HR on the cloud. They are doing the most innovation for HR on the cloud. So, there are some screens right now for both on-premises and cloud but the company is focused mostly on cloud development. A lot of the clients who deal with regulations must currently stay with on-premises solutions for critical data. SAP needs to continue trying from time-to-time to develop and release some new screens and new tools for HR on-premise that facilitate the working and interaction with the interface. They should do this in parallel with the cloud. Instead, they are leaving the on-premises customers behind.

For the next release of HCM, I would like to see more interactive screens and parallel development for on-prem and cloud. SAP now does the most innovation for the cloud solution and less innovation for the on-premises client. In our experience and with our clients almost all customers depend on the on-premises solution for sensitive data — either by choice or regulation. It would be nice to see a mobile interface as well.

We have been using the solution collectively since before we opened our HR company in 2015. One of my partners started working in HR in 2003 and the other one started in 2006. We are all experienced in SAP HCM.

We have never had any issues with the stability. We have no complaints as users and I have never heard any complaints from my customers.

It seems to me that it should be obvious that this product is very scalable just because it is made by SAP.

It is easy to contact technical support and get help. Within the license model, you are paying 22% of your license fees per year to SAP for their support. There is a marketplace for SAP that you will have access to. You will go to that marketplace with any issue to open your tickets. You can set the severity and urgency of the issue by selecting it on the form. Then you submit the ticket to SAP and according to the severity, SAP will contact you and try to solve the issue with you.

The initial setup is not just the installation. It is also the business process configuration. This is what will take more time. An expert is required to set up many things properly. Someone who expert in HR and knows the business of HR and the business processes, but also has to know the region. If the person doing the configuration knows the laws and how to perfect configuration for the user group, it will be easy for him and better for the company after implementation. But if the person doing the configuration is not an expert, does not know the laws and how the HR process works, it will be difficult for him, it will take longer, and the customer will not be happy with the results.

To deploy HCM, getting the setup right depends on the organization and attention to detail. If it is an organization with 500 employees and the solution will be used for payroll, personal administration and organization management, it could take something like four months to install this and configure it properly. This is if the guys doing the installation are experts in HR and the configuration of SAP.

We are the people who do the implementation and consultation and that is because we have worked a long time in the field and have become experts. Almost every customer who is coming to this product without knowing it well and what the capabilities are needs to seek the help of an integrator or consultant.

The cost may differ from region to region, but here in the Middle East, you pay per license. There not any costs in addition to the standard licensing fees.

SAP HCM is on-prem. SAP has another solution which is called SuccessFactors. It is on the cloud and by subscription only. So SAP has two solutions, the one on cloud is SuccessFactors and HCM on-prem. SAP is pushing for clients to go to SuccessFactors right now. The cloud solution may save some people money.

What other advice do I have?

At this time in the competitive business world, HCM is a very important module that each organization should want to use. It will help any organization to calculate and control the cost of their human resources. Human capital management allows control of when you want employees to work when you don't want them to work and keeps you aware of when they will be on leave so that their responsibilities will be covered by someone else. Businesses have to plan for things like this. A lot of things affect human capital and that can affect the course of an organization.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate HCM around nine out of ten. It is not a ten because of the issues with the interface development.

SAP Consultant at a university with 201-500 employees
A good user interface and an overall good solution but the implementation can be difficult
  • "The user interface is the solution's most valuable feature. It makes it easy for us to use."
  • "The implementation of the solution can be a bit difficult. They should make it easier. If it could be as simple as the SuccessFactors implementation that would be ideal."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for company payroll, evaluations, and assessments.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The implementation of the solution can be a bit difficult. They should make it easier. If it could be as simple as the SuccessFactors implementation that would be ideal.

There should be integration with iOS products. It would be nice if we could integrate it into the field currently, but it's not active.

I've been using the solution for about 2.5 years.

The solution isn't too stable.

We have about 300 people on the solution currently.

Technical support could be more helpful.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model. We will switch to SuccessFactors and it should be on the cloud. I'm a certified SAP consultant.

I'd recommend the product. It's a good solution. If I was comparing it to SuccessFactors, I'd rate it seven out of ten.

Consultant Application Manager at a energy/utilities company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Sellers have no product knowledge, and there's poor licensing in the Middle East that leads to product delays
  • "The stability of the solution is good."
  • "SAP is not ready to sell the license on time and delays the progress of projects. It's better to work with a competitor like Oracle. Those that are selling the product just go through powerpoints and don't have the knowledge necessary to sell. They can't answer any questions."

What is most valuable?

The product overall is very good.

What needs improvement?

SAP is not ready to sell any licenses in the Middle East.

I've been using the solution since 2013.

The stability of the solution is good.

The scalability of the solution is good.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model. We don't extensively use the solution in our organization. It's not a core module for us.

I'd rate the solution one out of ten. It doesn't allow licensing in our region, and they need people on the ground here. Product-wise, I'd rate it good, but in general, SAP needs to work with the customers to sell licenses and sell according to the customer's requirements.

I wouldn't recommend anyone implement SAP at this time.

SAP HCM/FICO Team lead at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
An all-round good solution for HR related processes that's stable and offers good technical support
  • "All of the core processes are very valuable aspects of the solution. These include personnel, administration, organizational structure, and payroll."
  • "The organizational structure visualization could be improved in future releases. The solution has a very poor interface."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for managing all the HR related processes including personnel, administration, employees, master data, organizational structure, and payroll.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for about nine years.

The solution is very stable. I've never faced any issues in unpredictability.

The scalability of the solution is similar to other SAP products. It's okay. You can expand a license to include more customers, even if you've started with only a few users.

The solution is stable, so I didn't need to reach out to technical support very often. When I did, they were helpful.

In the normal process, you need to open a ticket with SAP and view a response or search on the marketplace for any SAP notes for fixing certain problems. That's normal process for all SAP modules; it's not HCM specific.

I typically come into the picture after the solution has been implemented, so I can't speak to how straightforward or complex the setup is. How long deployment takes depends on customer requirements. For us, I believe it took about two months. I believe you'd need a team of three for the initial deployment of the solution and two people to handle the maintenance if you are a medium-sized company.

What other advice do I have?

I used to be an HCM consultant.

In terms of advice I would give to others considering the product, I'd say that implementation needs dedication from the customers. They need to share their requirements from the beginning. Key requirements shared at the beginning will ensure a smooth implementation.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten. With better visualization and a better interface, I would rate the solution higher.

Owner at Simply HR
Easy to scale out to three different regions and pull reports based on those regions
  • "The master data where most of the reports were run from was the most valuable. We were quite satisfied with this module."
  • "It is a bit tedious and manual to work with."

What is our primary use case?

I was using it mostly to keep the employee data and employee qualifications.

We were using the on-premise version.

How has it helped my organization?

We were able to pull a report this year that included region and status. We were able to give that report to the head of our HR.

What is most valuable?

The master data where most of the reports were run from was the most valuable. We were quite satisfied with this module.

What needs improvement?

It is a bit tedious and manual to work with.

At first, it was impossible for us to pull up a report of employees by status and region, though this was eventually fixed. Going forward, they should fix more things in the reports. E.g., I want to see on the reports the age of the employees, their position, their salary with their salary scales, and any promotions that they have had. People want to see these reports.

I have been using it for three to four years.

The stability was nice.

It was easy to scale out to three different regions.

There were about 50 users, but about 10 to 15 users were executives approving the subworkflow in the system.

The support wasn't that good. The implementation team didn't want to respond to issues. It took about three days to come and help us understand the system.

I think they used the SAP acceleration methodology for setup, but I joined the organization after the setup.

The deployment took a year to make it fully work.

Go for SuccessFactors. It is the easiest to run, quite flexible, and user friendly.

By the time I was leaving the company, they were planning on buying new equipment (probably SuccessFactors). This depends on government budget though.

What other advice do I have?

It can be used for personnel demonstration, time management, and business development.

Without systems nowadays, especially in HR, I've a problem because most decisions in HR are made based on data. If you don't have data to report on, that means the business' success will not be supported by data.

Consultant at a consultancy
Good exception messages, reporting capability, and integration, but the interface needs to be modernized
  • "The most valuable feature, in my view, is the level of exceptions or error messages that come back when something goes wrong."
  • "It takes a long time to apply an update patch to the system."

What is our primary use case?

We have an on-premises deployment.

How has it helped my organization?

The level of exception reporting has improved the process by helping to avoid errors. You can see where there is a lack of knowledge of the system because people are not updating the data correctly.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature, in my view, is the level of exceptions or error messages that come back when something goes wrong.

One of the valuable features is that it is integrated with a finance system, with journal and ledger integration. When you process, for example, payroll or costing then it can be posted directed into the finance system.

There are lots of good features, including the reporting, as long as you know what to look for.

What needs improvement?

The interface is data-based and outdated, without many features, so it could be modernized.

This solution is sufficiently complex that many end-users do not know how to operate it.

It takes a long time to apply an update patch to the system. It is a headache for any functional users because it requires a lot of IT involvement. This is unlike other solutions where either I can do it, or for cloud-based deployments, the vendor can do it online. With the time required for patching and testing, the internal IT teams sometimes try to avoid it and then perform patching only once or twice a year. In the meantime, the business is doing things manually.

I recall that SAP was not that flexible when it came to creating the interface, or new tables,  because there were limitations when we were developing one of the new pension schemes. I remember that they were struggling to get things done. Also, when you do this, the internal business has to manually connect and configure whatever they've developed.

This is a very costly solution.

I have been using this solution for three years.

There were a lot of defects that I had to deal with because patches were coming out on a regular basis and it required a lot of time.

I was heavily involved in UAT and there were lots of configuration issues. There were development requests and I had to deal with the developers directly, which was a bit of a headache.

When I dealt with SAP directly, they were a little bit resistant to accepting the client's request for development. They said that it was due to lack of resources. The market share was small, so they didn't want to waste a lot of time.

Eventually, after pushing them in the right directions, technical support was good and created what I needed. In general, it's not the system that fails, it's the people who are using the system.

In the end, technical support does what needs to be done.

I have used other solutions including Resourcelink and Agresso, and the differences between them depend on what the clients are looking for. For example, I have dealt with clients who are moving from SAP to Itron, and other clients moving from Itron to SAP.

SAP costs a lot of money. In my view, this product is a waste of money for SMB because there are much better products available and licensing is an issue.

I don't know how they come up with this pricing, but it is ridiculous. For example, if you want to have self-service for employees and managers then you need to pay for additional licenses.

What other advice do I have?

The performance is based on the user's knowledge of the system. It has to do with making sure that all of the features are enabled and all of the patches are there. There were quite a few defects that were patched by the IT team, and it was a lengthy process.

This solution is for an enterprise-level business, and I would never recommend SAP for SMB. SAP ByDesign, which is a different product, is better for small business.

Suitability of this system depends on a lot of variables. You would have to ask about ten thousand questions to consider the entire system and what is required. It comes down to whether the system is capable of adapting to the latest changes with legislation to do various things.

Also, it depends on how many skilled employees you need to have. There are business analysists, for example, and others who spend hours, and years, learning the system and understanding all of the settings and permissions. There are profiles, wage types, and info types, that decide who can access work and workflows, batches, and stuff like this. It's like driving a ship, where there are lot of things to do and lots of details. On top of this, you will need a development person who can do some coding. It all depends, really, on what the business is trying to achieve. It is for these reasons that I say it is not for the small business. If they can afford it then fair enough, but it will cost them a lot, and it is not cost-effective.

The biggest lesson that I have learned from using this solution is that you can trust no one. You can't trust the business, and you can't trust the people who support the system. I had to read a lot to prove that the system is capable of delivering certain functionality. People were objecting to this because they didn't want to get involved themselves.

This is a huge product and you have to always be up to date. It requires a lot of time in learning the system and doing the testing of new developments.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Porsche D'Oliveira - PeerSpot reviewer
Specialist SAP Division at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Has user-friendly dashboards but it is very difficult to do custom development
  • "The integration between the different models like personnel administration, work management, payroll, and time management are the most valuable and key features."
  • "On the personnel administration side, it's very difficult to do custom development."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of SAP HCM is for administration benefits and talent management.

What is most valuable?

The integration between the different models like personnel administration, work management, payroll, and time management are the most valuable and key features. It's also very important to make sure that the data is correct as well, to make sure that you get the best out of the solution.

The interface is simple to use. It is quite easy. The dashboards are also user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

The management side needs improvement. To me, I think people have underestimated this solution because we know what consists of all the objects in regards to the organizational structures, positions, departments, training, there could be better improvement on that.

On the personnel administration side, it's very difficult to do custom development. You're always dependent on your editors to do that. And now again, I'm comparing it to SuccessFactors because on SuccessFactors it's very easy to do. Any additional fields or stuff you want, they have the ability to apply all those changes. I would say that's where this solution really falls short. It makes the maintenance and the support of the system very complicated as well. There needs to be more support for the HCM solution.

I have been using this solution since 1996, so 23 years.

The current on-prem solution is not that stable anymore because there is so much more work that the cloud offering has and you cannot do that with an on-prem solution. Very soon everybody is going to have to move to the cloud.

I believe that the on-prem solution is going to have to phase out. SAP is focusing now on the cloud solution. And that's the reason why I feel obscure on Employee Central.

Technical support needs improvement.

The initial setup is not complex. It will mostly depend on your consultant. I wouldn't say it's that difficult. I probably also would give it a six out of a 10. It's not as easy as SuccessFactors.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

The biggest lesson I have learned from using this solution is that integration is so important. You must understand integration, even within HCM between the different module.

Head HRM Technology at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Customers can create custom infotypes to store any custom data points
  • "We have managed to consolidate our payroll for all India operations on this platform."
  • "Customers can create custom infotypes to store any custom data points."
  • "System usability is a challenge."
  • "It needs a lot of end user training as it is not intuitive at all."

What is our primary use case?

I have used SAP HCM with Oracle Database for about 13 years and SAP HCM with HANA database for about a year.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

• Core HR data management for employee and organizational data is very stable and flexible.
  • Customers can create custom infotypes to store any custom data points.
  • Time/payroll management is a very stable, sturdy product.

What needs improvement?

• System usability is a challenge.
  • It needs a lot of end user training as it is not intuitive at all.

More than five years.

No stability issues.

No scalability issues.

SAP technical support is good. However, for HANA, they still have to go a long way to go.

We did not use a previous solution.

For implementation, SAP offers little support unless you buy SAP Safeguarding from SAP Consulting.

Licensing is pretty complex. SAP does not have a straight forward way of licensing, and it differs from client to client.

The terms on which you buy licenses might change due to the way they license in a particular product.

Be careful and guard against future changes in licensing.

We evaluated PeopleSoft.

What other advice do I have?

Choose a good implementation partner. 80% of the project's success depends on the skill level of the implementation partner.

it_user765252 - PeerSpot reviewer
SAP HCM/SuccessFactors Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
The initial setup is straightforward with out-of-the-box integration between different modules

What is most valuable?

• OOB integration between different modules.
  • SAP Payroll module is one of the best in the market and is integrated with benefits, time, etc.

What needs improvement?

Integration is challenging and companies are struggling when it comes to integration between HCM and other systems.

• SAP HCM: More than 10 years.
  • SAP HCM Integration with SharePoint: More than 10 years.

Previously, SAP HCM On-Premise was more scalable.

SAP does its technical support very well.

Not a different solution, but previously HCM was all decentralized and in some countries, manual. The goal was to bring all the countries/employees into one system.

The initial setup was straightforward.

Workday was evaluated with SuccessFactors.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend to put more thoughts and efforts into integration and make intelligent decisions.

it_user516576 - PeerSpot reviewer
Director, Global Operations at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The service support needs improvement due to slow responsiveness. Solution provides a breadth of services.

What is most valuable?

• Breadth of services
  • Ties to enterprise Finance and Supply Chain

How has it helped my organization?

Ensures a single source of data for downstream systems use.

What needs improvement?

Service support.

15 years.

It is used globally for more than 80 countries.

Responses for enhancements can be slow.

PeopleSoft. We switched due to a move to global single instance across HR, Finance, Supply Chain and Project Management.

The initial setup was complex due to the ties across the enterprise and a global implementation.

What other advice do I have?

Be careful to not overly customize, because this drives a high cost of ownership to maintain.

it_user521961 - PeerSpot reviewer
Deputy Chief Learning Officer at a government with 10,001+ employees
The most valuable feature is ease of use.

What is most valuable?

• Ease of use
  • Improved productivity of personnel, because we use SAP for our inventory

What needs improvement?

It's intuitive, but not as intuitive or user-friendly as it should be. It's 2017, and I should be able to click once and just breeze through it. It's far more complicated than it should be.

I was not involved in the deployment of the product.

I think it's extremely stable. That's one of the reasons why we like it so much. I've had some problems, as it has jammed up on me before.

Generally speaking, I think it's exceptionally reliable. The glitches that I've encountered may have been due to a user error, because it's not so user-friendly and it's not so intuitive.

As far as I know, there is limitless scalability.

The technical support is a little slow, like 24 hours. I feel since it is 2017, if I have a problem, I should be able to make a phone call or send an email and get a response within minutes, an hour at the most. When things take a day, it slows me down. The problem resolution itself is OK.

I was not involved in the evaluation of any other products.

What other advice do I have?

• Take your time.
  • Learn it as well as you can so that you don't encounter problems.
  • Try to learn as much as you can prior to jumping into it.
  • Have contact information for when you have a problem.
  • Just know what you're doing because it's good. It's just not so user-friendly and the response time on a problem is slow.
Sr. SAP HCM Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It can provide payroll calculation for more than 50 countries.

What is most valuable?

It provides payroll solutions across the world; there is no other solution that can provide payroll calculation for more 50 countries.

How has it helped my organization?

There has been a significant productivity increase in HR due to reduction of manual work and data consistency improvement.

What needs improvement?

Talent management: SAP has acquired SuccessFactors and does not invest in the SAP HCM Talent Management module any more.

I have used it for 15 years.

Yes, finding good consultants.

I have not encountered any stability issues.

Medium.

I rate the level of technical support as high.

We previously used a different solution; we switched due to potential Y2K risks.

Initial setup was complex due to system requirements.

Both.

• More transparency

Before choosing this product, I evaluated PeopleSoft.

What other advice do I have?

Find good consultants.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My current employer is an SAP Partner.
it_user472119 - PeerSpot reviewer
SAP HCM and HR Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Integrates with all business processes, flexible configuration, and scalable.

What is most valuable?

Integration with all business processes, standard features, flexibility in configuration, full scalability.

Integrating Information systems between different business processes allows in my opinion the increase of efficiency in the organization. This is because data coming from HR is directly available to other processes. Extra HR (imagine Posting of Travel Expenses, Reports on Subordinates, Hours posting to WBS Elements or different Cost Centers, Employee's Master Data as Vendors or Customers of the Company etc.)

What needs improvement?

Graphic interface and usability for end users.

SAP is not a last generation system. Users experience the use of the system as it was in 1998. I started working then and nothing has changed until now. Nowadays, people are used to web interfaces, user-friendly screens and rapid deployment functionalities. A different way of using the system in my opinion could avoid the thought that this system is not up-to-date.

18 years

Some during the first years, but nothing blocking.

There could be cases where the first configuration is not done in the most perfect way, in these cases some issues arise.

7.5/10

I managed very different kinds of projects. The product can be configured in lots of ways, everything depends on the customer and their desired processes to be designed.

What other advice do I have?

Don't think it will be costless or effortless.

it_user531717 - PeerSpot reviewer
Team Leader at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
It supports different functional areas in the company. Employee salary management could be improved and it's difficult to set up.

What is most valuable?

The product is flexible and has periodic updates. It is supports several different functional areas in the company, such as financial, controlling, logistics, and human resources.

How has it helped my organization?

In my work, it enables me to work remotely because I can connect to our customer’s site using a VPN.

What needs improvement?

The payroll area for managing employee salaries has room for improvement;

Payroll area for managing employee salary, regarding SAP HCM system, is an area with complex issues because Italian tax and labor legislation and regulations are often changed; so several implementations of this module need custom integration from a consultant.

It would be better if SAP HCM could manage several topics, like absence protected like sickness, maternity.

In the last years, several implementations/developments on the SAP HCM system were done concerning several topics, but above all, integration with other module sof SAP HCM, like Time Management, for example.

I have been working with SAP Human Capital Management since I started my work in 1998, so for about 18 years.

I did have some issues with stability, especially at the beginning. I had several issues regarding the Time Management and Payroll modules.

I did not have any problems with scalability.

The level of technical support was good. They were always quick to solve problems with a high level of impact on our customers.

In the beginning, it was very difficult to set up because we lacked the support and experience to implement the product. After that, we arranged for support to work out a more correct and easier process.

It is very expensive for a small company. Only large companies can afford it.

I have never used a different solution. I have always worked with SAP Human Capital Management.

What other advice do I have?

I suggest working with a partner company who is already using SAP Human Capital Management to help you implement it at your own company.

In Italy, the implementation is difficult because the Italian tax and labor legislation and regulations are often changed; so several implementations of this module are required. This can be changes in absence quotas and protections for sickness, maternity leave, and so on. This really requires custom integration with the help of a consultant.

it_user522975 - PeerSpot reviewer
SAP Project Manager at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The SAP JAM and Apps have made it social media- and mobile-friendly.

What is most valuable?

Integration with FI and MM are the best features. The localization packages and, of late, the Rapid Deployment Solutions have proved to be immensely time saving and thus have made SAP implementations monetarily viable for the SME sector. The cloud-based package extension for SAP HCM, which is named SucessFactors, has added a new dimension to the ERP functions. Features such as SAP JAM and Apps have made SAP ERP HCM social media- and mobile-friendly.

How has it helped my organization?

In the process of implementing SAP HCM, the ASAP roadmaps guide the client to streamline the various processes associated with HR. As a result, every area within the scope of HR comes under the scanner. Hence, from the hierarchical framework to grouping employees as per shifts or paydays and pay frequencies, everything gets streamlined.

What needs improvement?

Processing large volumes of data during processes such as payroll is time consuming, which could be an area to work on.

I have been working with the SAP HCM module for over nine years.

I have not encountered any stability issues so far.

I have not encountered any scalability issues so far.

The support that we have been getting has been great.

I did not previously use a different solution; I have always been associated with SAP.

I work on a contract basis as an SAP Consultant, and clients contact me only after SAP has been chosen.

What other advice do I have?

Select the solutions carefully. SAP has a lot to offer, but which solutions are required for your company and what is financial viable for your company can be a tricky decision to make. So, first have insight into what every solution and module has to offer. Finally, every step of ASAP should be followed religiously. I have seen companies losing their focus while implementing, just because the TO BE Document should have been more comprehensive.

it_user517131 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior SAP HCM Lead Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
It reduces paperwork and requires minimal manpower.

What is most valuable?

SAP gives the best automation solution, which not only reduces paperwork but also with minimal manpower we can obtain maximum results. Senior management can view the current status of the organization, financial status, stock condition, sales status, etc. from one place, and can even check these things from their smart phones from anywhere in the world. This helps management take result-oriented decisions that will result in higher expected revenue, which in turn provides the best ROI from this application.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides a transparent look for the entire organization and with zero issues in payroll and finance posting. Also the reporting that SAP provides helps any organization see the required information.

What needs improvement?

The Core Talent Modules should have been improved, but SAP has introduced SuccessFactors, which has the best solution for Talent Management. I think SAP has covered the earlier gaps in the latest version, but it’s still too early to say.

I have been using this solution for the past 11 years.

I have never encountered any stability issues.

Technical support is 8/10.

I have always worked with only SAP from the beginning.

Initial setup was straightforward.

SAP comes up with its own price, hence licensing will be at its mark.

Before choosing this product, I did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

If your company needs a stable solution, go for SAP.

Download our free Benefits Administration Report and find out what your peers are saying about SAP, Workday, Oracle, and more!
Updated: November 2022