Oracle VM VirtualBox OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle VM VirtualBox is the #5 ranked solution in best Server Virtualization Software. PeerSpot users give Oracle VM VirtualBox an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Oracle VM VirtualBox is most commonly compared to Proxmox VE: Oracle VM VirtualBox vs Proxmox VE. Oracle VM VirtualBox is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 59% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 22% of all views.
Oracle VM VirtualBox Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle VM VirtualBox Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Oracle VM VirtualBox?

Oracle VM Virtualbox is a cross-platform virtualizer for x86 servers and desktops, and is also for embedded usage. With this product, you can run multiple operating systems on a single machine, all at the same time, making it a powerful tool to test, develop, demonstrate and deploy solutions.

Oracle VM Virtualbox is a professional solution that is also freely available as Open Source Software. It is for both enterprise and home use. This x86 and AMD64/Intel64 virtualization software is high performing and rich in features.

Oracle VM Virtualbox currently runs on Windows, Linux, Solaris and Macintosh. It also supports many guest operating systems, such as Windows, DOX/Windows 3. Linux, OS/2, OpenBSD, Solaris and OpenSolaris.

For more information on Oracle VM VirtualBox, visit Oracle.com

Oracle VM VirtualBox Customers

Airbus, Colorado State University, SCS Africa, Wolf Medical Systems.

Oracle VM VirtualBox Video

Oracle VM VirtualBox Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle VM VirtualBox pricing:
  • "It is pretty good for the price, which is free."
  • "The license I use is free."
  • "This is an open-source product and it can be used free of charge."
  • Oracle VM VirtualBox Reviews

Director of Engineering at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
    A free and versatile open-source solution that supports multiple platforms and is easy to set up
    • "The good thing is that it is multi-platform. Once you create a virtual machine in one particular environment, you can switch over to see if you can run it in other environments. For example, if you are on Windows and you create this virtual machine, you can actually go ahead and change the operating system. You can switch it over to Linux or Mac OS and see if you can run the VirtualBox on those particular machines. It even runs on some of the commercial operating systems that are not mainstream, such as Solaris and BSD. These kinds of operating systems are also supported by VirtualBox. The other thing that is good about VirtualBox is that it is open source. So, if you need to do any modifications for your own purposes, you can just download the source, modify it, and deploy it in your environment. It is pretty good and very versatile. You can create and manipulate virtual machines from the command line, which is also very important. It's something that some other products on the desktop side do not have. VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop don't have a good command-line interface to create and manipulate virtual machines, whereas VirtualBox has it out of the box, which is pretty good."
    • "It has some issues when you have some weird device drivers. For instance, when you have a weird sound driver working on your machine, and the VirtualBox needs to output the sound of the virtual machine into the sound driver of the physical machine, the bare metal, it doesn't work too well. If you tweak lots of drivers and play around with the different kinds of drivers and machines, you will probably break something. I have not played with it too much and maybe it already supports it, but it would probably be good to have the ability to use a container from the virtual machine environment instead of spinning off a complete virtual machine. There are other tools for that. On Linux, you have a DXE, LXC framework, and you have Docker as well. Docker is good because it is multi-platform, and you can run Docker on pretty much anything, even different processors, but it would be good if we had a VirtualBox running on it while spinning off containers instead of full virtual machines. The other thing that will become important, and I'm pretty sure that they are thinking about it as well is that there's this new hardware platform that Apple is releasing, which is an ARM-based new chip. So, VirtualBox will probably have to work on ARM-based CPUs as well."

What is our primary use case?

My personal one is to create virtual machines to do different things within the house. I have a few servers in the house, and the servers themselves run lots of the services that we need, but sometimes you need to have a service that is run on a kind of a "dedicated machine." So, instead of having a physical machine to run those services, we just create a virtual one. It just spins off like a virtual machine, and everything works okay. Some of the machines that are for more home automation and other such things don't need very powerful processes or much memory. They are very suitable to be run on virtual machines. They can have their own IP addresses and can be reached from the outside of the home.

What is most valuable?

The good thing is that it is multi-platform. Once you create a virtual machine in one particular environment, you can switch over to see if you can run it in other environments. For example, if you are on Windows and you create this virtual machine, you can actually go ahead and change the operating system. You can switch it over to Linux or Mac OS and see if you can run the VirtualBox on those particular machines. It even runs on some of the commercial operating systems that are not mainstream, such as Solaris and BSD. These kinds of operating systems are also supported by VirtualBox.

It is pretty good and very versatile. You can create and manipulate virtual machines from the command line, which is also very important. It's something that some other products on the desktop side do not have. VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop don't have a good command-line interface to create and manipulate virtual machines, whereas VirtualBox has it out of the box, which is pretty good.

What needs improvement?

It has some issues when you have some weird device drivers. For instance, when you have a weird sound driver working on your machine, and the VirtualBox needs to output the sound of the virtual machine into the sound driver of the physical machine, the bare metal, it doesn't work too well. If you tweak lots of drivers and play around with the different kinds of drivers and machines, you will probably break something.

I have not played with it too much and maybe it already supports it, but it would probably be good to have the ability to use a container from the virtual machine environment instead of spinning off a complete virtual machine. There are other tools for that. On Linux, you have a DXE, LXC framework, and you have Docker as well. Docker is good because it is multi-platform, and you can run Docker on pretty much anything, even different processors, but it would be good if we had a VirtualBox running on it while spinning off containers instead of full virtual machines.

The other thing that will become important, and I'm pretty sure that they are thinking about it as well is that there's this new hardware platform that Apple is releasing, which is an ARM-based new chip. So, VirtualBox will probably have to work on ARM-based CPUs as well.

I have been using this solution for a long time. It was a standalone product before it became an Oracle product.

Oracle VM VirtualBox
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Oracle VM VirtualBox. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    653,522 professionals have used our research since 2012.

For my users, it is very stable. We do home automation on it, and it works really well. It has some advanced features like auto restart of the virtual machine. If your virtual machine crashes, or even when you have a power outage and the server comes back up on its own, it spins off the virtual machines automatically. You don't have to do anything about it. It is pretty good.

I don't have any impressions on the scalability because I only use it at home, and one of the machines that we have is not so powerful. The other one is a little powerful. So, we can run lots of virtual machines, but we don't run that many.

I needed support just once. It was mostly because I decided to do something that I should not have done. One of the machines that we have is a little older, so I decided to use a method to install a newer version of the operating system, which theoretically is not supported on the machine. There are lots of articles on the web where you can patch this and that to make it work. So, I did it, and unfortunately, it broke VirtualBox. I did not reach directly to customer support, but I posted a question in the community, and we agreed that what I did wasn't a good idea.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward, and anyone can do it as long as you know how to install a particular operating system. You just download the executables from the website and run them. They install VirtualBox, and then you just open it up and point it to the disk where you have your operating system, and it does it really fast.

It is pretty good for the price, which is free.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate VirtualBox a nine out of ten. It is really good, and I like it very much. It is definitely not a ten because even though it has lots of support from Oracle itself, it is an open-source product. If you look at the user interface, it is very decent, but it is not the most polished user interface.

IT Architect - AI at CGI
    Easy to set up with good data protection and a free version of the product
    • "It is easy to use and does not require complex knowledge."
    • "Having live migrations to move a running server to other hardware would be great."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to quickly set up and test our new software releases on different operating system versions.

We used this for onboarding applications running on smaller equipment, as we noticed that it uses less resouces compared to other hypervisor systems.

This helped our passengers to get better services while travelling, such as entertainment, movies, games, details about the trip, et cetera.

The images used can easily be shipped with the onboard hardware.

We can also port or convert other types of images too.

How has it helped my organization?

It is easy to use and does not require complex knowledge.

It uses less resouces, which is a requirement as it is used on onboard hardware with very litle resources available.

Our development using new operating system releases can quickly be made. In some cases, we can set up the client's environment and perform local investigations to give competitve and qualyfied results for the customers to help reinforce our general reputation.

We keep our build and package down, and only start them when performing nightly builds.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to set up and makes it easy to protect VM guests running on the systems by IBM Spectrum Protect.

We use SPFS to mount the Spectrum Protect storage as a local filesystem and store our VM backups on that drive-letter or filesystem which sends data to the IBM Spectrum Protect storage.

The backup retentions are centrally managed from the IBM Spectrum Protect backup server.

We can browse and decide which of the backups to restore directly from the Virtualbox system.

This makes data protection very easy to use without special knowledge from agents.

What needs improvement?

We are using the free version of Virtualbox, so we have not tested the commercial solution.

That said, having live migrations to move a running server to other hardware would be great.

The ability to emulate other types of CPU and hardware, such as PowerPC in both Little Endian and Big Endian, ARM CPU, s390x CPU architectures, and possibly older CPUs such as Motorola would be helpful. This would make the development of new software releases faster and easier.

In general, it is a good and stable product to use. We love it!

I've used the solution for several years.

We've found the stability to be good.

The scalability is good.

We have never had a need to use technical support so far.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

We previously used VMware and Proxmox KVM.

In terms of the initial setup, it's pretty easy to implement.

We handled the initial setup in-house.

The ROI we've witnessed so far has been good.

We use the free solution; so we can't comment on the pricing at the moment.

We did also look at Proxmox KVM.

What other advice do I have?

For simplicity, I'd advise users to use a backup method that is easy to use and to adapt to hypervisor solutions.

We use SPFS as it helps our clients to backup and restore in the way they understand.

Other
    Oracle VM VirtualBox
    November 2022
    653,522 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Said Mokhtari - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Manager at TGR
    Simple to use, easy to configure, and reliable
    • "It's very simple to use."
    • "Basically, the GUI and command-line interface need improvement."

What is our primary use case?

I use the solution for personal use and in a professional environment. We use a couple of them. We use it to prepare environments to deploy them on another VM environment like VMware. We need to prepare the machine for the quality and we use this.

What is most valuable?

Overall, the solution works very well and we have been happy with it.

It's easy to configure it on my desktop, have it certified, and then export it to VMware Center.

It's very simple to use.

We like the stability.

The solution can scale well.

What needs improvement?

To make changes, you need to use the command lines. You need to use them to change the volume or extend or re-sync the volume. We've tried to do so using the web manager and it's not working well. Basically, the GUI and command-line interface need improvement. We'd like the command line to manage the VDI disk.

I've used the solution from the beginning, from the very first one. It's been more than five years.

The stability of the product is quite good. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze.

I find scalability quite easy. I'm used to it and I know how to handle it.

We have about ten to 20 people using the product. A few use it on-premises, for example, for the larger service. All people will use it in the cluster.

I've never had to contact technical support and therefore cannot rate their services.

I've also tried VMware solutions. It's not as fast, the VMware.

The initial setup is very simple and straightforward. It's not overly difficult or complex.

The deployment is very fast. It takes less than five minutes. It's easy to implement even by yourself.

We have ten technical people using the resolution and helping to deploy and manage it. They are IT managers and engineers.

It's easy to deploy. You do not need assistance.

We're still dealing with POCs. In the future, if it works okay, we'll try it in a larger environment.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just an end-user.

We are using the latest version of the solution.

The whole solution we are trying to study for large infrastructure and we are making POC of that process. If this works, we will try to generalize it on an older platform.

I'd advise people to try it. It's very simple and easy to deploy.

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten.

Dynamic sizing and customization with great virtualization support on major operating systems
    • "Oracle VM Virtualbox is easy to use and does not require much training."
    • "The user interface needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of the solution is to develop, test, and deploy solutions on multi-software platforms so that users can use solutions on different platforms such as Windows, Linux, Solaris, and Macintosh. This also will help users and groups to use the devices they are comfortable with and not depend on a specific platform. Users no need to wait for very powerful machines instead they can use their laptops or desktop to test or solve to see whether it really works or meet their needs.

How has it helped my organization?

Oracle VM Virtualbox is easy to use and does not require much training.

It uses fewer resources. Any user can configure it on my desktop or laptop and also it can be exported to VMware Center.

Teams using new operating system releases can quickly test and implement. This would make the development of new software releases faster and easier. It also helps users to write the program, test, and support it on multiple platforms.

It has a good community as it is open-source.

What is most valuable?

The integration betweeen the host vs VM is good.  Oracle VM virtualbox integration betweeen host and VM is very easy. There is no need for a big infrastructure to support the development, testing, and deployment. You can run multiple operating systems on a single machine especially.

The product offers dynamic sizing and customization. Based upon the project or specific requirements users can easily customize dynamically.

There is great virtualization support on major operating systems. All major operating systems offer support and guest operating systems offer support as well.

What needs improvement?

The user interface needs to be improved. The command line interface is okay, however, the Web Manager is not working well and there are many enhancements requried. The web user interface would help users who do not have much experience with the product.

Managment and maintenance software needs to improve, including improving the methods for stopping and starting the machine.

Improvements are needed for areas such as changing the disks or resources used.  They need to have live mgiration betweeen other platforms like VMware, Microsoft, and Nutanix.

I've used the solution for 1.5 years.

The scalability is okay, however, it needs improvement.

Technical support is okay.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

The initial setup is easy and straightforward.

The Roi has been good.

It is easy and open-source is available.

We also looked into VMware.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest the user test and take decision.

Founder at a retailer with 1-10 employees
    A stable solution with useful Pause and Snapshot features, but we should be able to use Hyper-V Windows subsystems with Linux and VirtualBox on the same instance

What is our primary use case?

I use it for experimenting with different operating systems in user environments. I also use it to have a backup to the Windows so that I can access Windows, and it is up and running. I don't have to worry about building a system from scratch.

What is most valuable?

The pause feature is valuable. I can pause, which is something that not all hypervisors allow. The snapshot feature is also valuable.

What needs improvement?

It would be good if we could use Hyper-V Windows subsystems with Linux and VirtualBox on the same instance. Currently, to be able to use VirtualBox, we have to restart the machine into an instance of Windows where Hyper-V is disabled, which is understandably very inconvenient.

I have been using this solution for more than five years.

It is stable. It is more stable than it used to be.

I don't have any experience with their technical support.

Its initial setup is straightforward. The duration depends on whether you're using it on Windows or Linux. It takes slightly longer on Windows than Linux.

I deployed it myself. Currently, I am the only user of this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I plan to keep using this solution. I would rate Oracle VM VirtualBox a seven out of ten.

Manager at Private Individual
    Easy to install, but highly unstable
    • "The installation is easy."
    • "I find the solution to be incredibly unstable, constantly falling over and not working properly."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use of the solution is for testing distributions and installations.

What needs improvement?

While in the past I used the solution on Linux, which I no longer do, and FreeBSD, which is my daytime runner, I am not very happy with its use on the latter. For the past year or so, it slowed down upon its use.

I am not a great fan of Oracle's products. I have not been happy with these since version 6. I find the solution to be incredibly unstable, constantly falling over and not working properly.

I've been using Oracle VM VirtualBox on and off for five or six years.

I have very little to do with technical support. As I have been doing things for nearly 30 years, I solve any issues which may arise on my own.

The installation is easy, although I could not say how long it took.

The license I use is free.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is on-premises as part of the labs.

As I am the one who tests the solution, I am the only one making use of it in my organization.

I do not believe that I would recommend the solution to others.

I rate Oracle VM VirtualBox as a six or seven out of ten.

Pr. Scientist at PIEAS
    User-friendly, good documentation, and cost-effective
    • "This product is very user-friendly and easy to use."
    • "When I select the Ubuntu operating system from within the virtual machine, it sometimes hangs."

What is most valuable?

This product is very user-friendly and easy to use.

It has a good user manual and it's easy to find information about it.

What needs improvement?

When I select the Ubuntu operating system from within the virtual machine, it sometimes hangs. There are times when I need to reboot the system to resolve the problem. I have 64 gig RAM in my machine, and an i7 processor, so there is no issue as far as memory is concerned.

I have been using Oracle VM VirtualBox for approximately six months.

There are not very many bugs in the application.

There are between 15 and 20 students using this product. This is going to be expanding in the future because we are doing several migrations in the environment.

I have not been in touch with technical support. Since it's open-source, I just downloaded it from the internet and we are using it fine.

This is an open-source product and it can be used free of charge.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I suggest to people because it's free of cost, open-source, very user-friendly, and all of the information for the end-user is available in the manual.

In summary, this is a good product but there is always room for improvement.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Vincent Cheng - PeerSpot reviewer
    Sr. Director at LogiCorner Info Tech.
    Allows us to run multiple operating systems at the same time
    • "The snapshot feature is very powerful; it protects us from disaster."
    • "The AI and the UI could be improved. The user interface is a little outdated and the AI is not very attractive."

What is our primary use case?

We use Oracle VM VirtualBox in combination with Oracle Database. We also run Tomcat inside VirtualBox.

Within our organization, there are five people using this solution.

What is most valuable?

The snapshot feature is very powerful; it protects us from disaster.

What needs improvement?

Currently, when pilot testing VMs, sometimes we have to test them on the cloud — this is complicated. In the next release, it would be nice if there was a convenient way to migrate the VM images from the local server to the cloud server.

Oracle VM VirtualBox is stable.

Although we haven't needed to scale out, I'd imagine it's quite scalable.

The initial setup was quite straightforward.

We also evaluated VMware.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. It's easy to use. Everything you need to know can be found with a simple Google search — the whole process.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight.

Download our free Oracle VM VirtualBox Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022