IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

MSP360 Backup OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

MSP360 Backup is #2 ranked solution in top MSP Backup tools, #10 ranked solution in top Disaster Recovery Software, #16 ranked solution in top Cloud Backup tools, and #22 ranked solution in best Backup and Recovery Software. PeerSpot users give MSP360 Backup an average rating of 8 out of 10. MSP360 Backup is most commonly compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: MSP360 Backup vs Veeam Backup & Replication. MSP360 Backup is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 52% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 28% of all views.
MSP360 Backup Buyer's Guide

Download the MSP360 Backup Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is MSP360 Backup?

MSP360™ Managed Backup Service (MBS) is a data backup solution for managed service providers and IT departments who require centralized job management, monitoring, reporting, and licensing control. It allows you to leverage AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, B2, Wasabi cloud storage to drive more revenue, more margins and make your customers happy.

MSP360™ offers all of the features you would expect in backup software, including, image-level backup, file-based backup and even support for Microsoft SQL Server and Microsoft Exchange.

MSP360 Backup was previously known as Cloudberry Backup.

MSP360 Backup Customers

StratX

MSP360 Backup Video

Archived MSP360 Backup Reviews (more than two years old)

Paresh Makwana - PeerSpot reviewer
Director at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Reseller
Has good online backup capacity because you don't have to do an entire back up again and again, it just does whatever you type in
  • "The feature that I have found most valuable is its online backup capacity because you don't have to do an entire backup again and again, it just does whatever you type in, you type a, it goes a, you type b, it goes b. It doesn't take an entire site up again and again. So that incremental and bit by bit backup is important, it is a nice feature here."
  • "As for what can be improved, some reports could be simplified so that you know how much backup you have done and what your backup details are. That report is available but it is very tough to get. I would like to know "today I have just uploaded 35 MB, tomorrow I have loaded 10 MB so my trend of backup is increasing.""

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is that we have our confidential data which remains locally on the tape. But the public information which is required, which is for my system backup, including my photographs and all that stuff, we do on the cloud backup and I put onto the normal storage of AWS. This stuff we generally don't require for a long time, like photos. It can take a long time for retrieval but the cost is really low.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I have found most valuable is its online backup capacity because you don't have to do an entire back up again and again, it just does whatever you type in, you type a, it goes a, you type b, it goes b. It doesn't take an entire site up again and again. So that incremental and bit by bit backup is important, it is a nice feature here. Backup data to S3: Use Backup Plan wizard to create a block-level volume snapshots on a Windowsworkstation or backup individual files and folders. With the wizard You can also:• Create a schedule for your backups• Encrypt data with a user password• Configure retention policies• Setup intelligent bandwidth consumption• Windows, macOS, and Linux supported

What needs improvement?

As for what can be improved, some reports could be simplified so that you know how much backup you have done and what your backup details are. That report is available but it is very tough to get. I would like to know "today I have just uploaded 35 MB, tomorrow I have loaded 10 MB so my trend of backup is increasing." Sometimes it is not required but still I backup anything and everything. If I have the simplified reports available, then it is very easy for me to just find out. In the next release, we need more analytics, like in machine learning and artificial intelligence. That includes how much data is going to be restored, what is the next step, how much inner data for this is going to uploaded. So the intelligence aspect should be more involved in the next release.

I have been using Cloudberry Backup for around the last six to eight months.
MSP360 Backup
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about MSP360 Backup. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have not encountered any issues with stability, it's easy.

It is a scalable solution, it is easy. Right now we have 100 plus people using it on a daily basis. We update daily.

We previously used NetWorker. But that was a feed backup, not a user backup or a cloud backup. We were searching for a cloud-based solution.

The initial setup is very simple. For a user, it might not take more than 10 minutes.

I implemented on my own. It is just a small file. You just need to run it up and policies are already defined so it doesn't take much longer. There is no maintenance. If there is any patch update, it is just updated online.

We did evaluate Druva before choosing Cloudberry, but the problem with Druva was that it doesn't have a local India data center to hold data and the regulator has come out saying that your data should not leave the country.

What other advice do I have?

One thing that I would recommend is first of all to do a classification of your data. That means that before each backup has to be done, most of the time people need to clean up their data. They just want to do a backup. If there was a feed backup where there would not be much cost when you go to the cloud backup, no doubt it is would be easy to handle backup retrievals and all, but everything here increases the cost. When we restore the backup, there is a cost associate because we're using the link and all this stuff. There is also a cost to retrieving it. That means the people first have to do the housekeeping of the data before it goes onto the cloud backup. The data classification has to be in order before going to the cloud backup. Next is that you need to know where your stored data is being stored before storing it, whether it is in India or in Singapore or in the US. This you need to make sure.  Next is an SA link. That means your agreement about how much time it takes to retrieve, how much it takes to upload, etc. And finally is your internet speed, your internet bandwidth - what bandwidth you are using. Because once you do the cloud backup, your internet bandwidth has to be increased. So these are the things which you need to take care of. On a scale of one to 10 - I would rate Cloudberry Backup a nine.

Owner at DataCorp Magdalena Stanek
Easy to configure, very user-friendly and excellent backup functionality
  • "The solution is simple to use and easy to configure."
  • "The graphics are looking a bit old and should be updated."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for backups, in our virtual machines and our local physical computers.

What is most valuable?

The backup is the solution's most valuable aspect.

The interface is very user-friendly.

The solution is simple to use and easy to configure.

What needs improvement?

We quite like the solution. For us, it's been a great solution.

It would help if the solution had deduplication. They may be planning to add it in the future.

The graphics are looking a bit old and should be updated.

We've been using the solution for about one year.

We haven't had to contact technical support yet. We find the solution very easy to use, so we haven't required any assistance.

The initial setup is straightforward. We found it very easy to implement and configure.

We handled the implementation ourselves.

I've used Nakivo in the past. It's used exclusively for virtual machines whereas CloudBerry also covers physical appliances.

What other advice do I have?

We use both public and private cloud deployment models.

Having a backup is necessary. Every user of IT infrastructure needs to have a backup, and this is a good solution to implement because it is so easy and straightforward.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

MSP360 Backup
June 2022
610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user853107 - PeerSpot reviewer
Director at CyberSec Europe
User
Provides connectivity to a lot of different cloud storage solutions
  • "Provides connectivity to a lot of different cloud storage solutions."
  • "It has allowed me to implement a cost effective, highly configurable solution."
  • "Maybe implement an easier interface for basic users. For example, a set-up wizard with all the commonly used features as default."

What is our primary use case?

It will be used for backing up workstations and as a server to the cloud.

The primary use is for disaster recovery, but it will also be used for recovering deleted files, hard drive corruption, or stolen devices.

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed me to implement a cost effective, highly configurable solution. It provides a good cost savings compared to our previous cloud backup.

What is most valuable?

• Connectivity to a lot of different cloud storage solutions
  • Highly configurable
  • Email notifications
  • Scheduling options

Trial/evaluations only.

No issues.

No issues.

Not applicable.

We previously used CrashPlan Pro.

It was very easy to set up. The initial setup is straightforward, although it could be confusing for basic users.

It was implemented in-house.

We have a very good return on investment.

Pricing is reasonable, although can be quite a large upfront cost.

I had a brief look at other options (GoodSync and Duplicati), but Cloudberry was cheaper and Duplicati was not reliable.

What other advice do I have?

It is early in my usage, as I have only been using it for a couple of weeks.

Consultant at a transportation company
  • "General ease of use and performance of the Windows version is the most valuable feature."
  • "The Linux GUI leaves a lot to be desired. It lacks many of the features of the Windows version and is buggy, but it is still usable."

What is our primary use case?

Backup of several computer on a LAN consisting of a mix of Windows 10 and Linux to replace CrashPlan, which is leaving the personal market. Cloudberry Backup meets this basic requirement.

How has it helped my organization?

Cloudberry Backup is a replacement for CrashPlan, which is leaving the personal market. I needed a easy to implement backup solution for Windows and Linux. So far, Cloudberry meets my general expectations and may turn out to be an improvement over CrashPlan.

What is most valuable?

General ease of use and performance of the Windows version. In this regard, Cloudberry Backup is a significant improvement over CrashPlan, which was my previous backup solution.

More than five years.
  • "Client-side encryption minimizes worries about data being captured on the back-end."
  • "Block level transfers have significantly reduced the amount of time for transfers over some other solutions"
  • "The interface feels like it is targeted for end users who typically are looking for an all-in-one integrated push button solution. It would be better if the interface had a beginner mode and an expert mode."

What is our primary use case?

Cloudberry was chosen because it supports many back-end providers, peer-to-peer storage, client-side encryption, block level backup, and compression. The per client price is reasonable and it is well suited for SOHO and smaller shops.

How has it helped my organization?

This replaces a previous solution which is dropping support for peer-to-peer backup. With peer-to-peer, we can preseed a remote peer in the same city inexpensively as well as perform a fast recovery, if needed.

What is most valuable?

• Supports peer-to-peer backup using Minio, which has allowed us to easily pre-seed and maintain an off-site backup within driving distance, making tactical recovery of accidental file deletions easy.
  • Supports a wide variety of back-end data storage providers. We use one of the big players for strategic backup in the event of a major infrastructure failure.
  • Client-side encryption minimizes worries about data being captured on the back-end.
  • Block level transfers have significantly reduced the amount of time for transfers over some other solutions.

What needs improvement?

The interface could use some updating. The product functionality is beyond the scope of understanding for most people without an IT background. However, the interface feels like it is targeted for end users who typically are looking for an all-in-one integrated push button solution. It would be better if the interface had a beginner mode and an expert mode.

For example, when editing an existing backup set, one has to go through a wizard-like interface with many screens even if you are only changing one thing.  The user is forced to keep clicking Next>Next>Next>Next>Next>Next> until you are finally able to save your changes. Experienced people would rather have all the information on a screen or two and be able to quickly get to the area they need to modify.

Less than one year.

No issues so far. Although, we are just starting with it.

Our needs are small, so I can't say how well it will scale. There is a managed backup solution for larger installations, but I have not used it. I understand it enables remote management and monitoring, however it requires a connection to a Cloudberry server so it may not be possible to keep everything in-house. Watching the video on the Cloudberry website, it does not appear to be enterprise level, but more research would be needed.

I have only had one question that I emailed support. My question was addressed in less than 24 hours, even going back and forth a couple times.

I previously used CrashPlan, but dropped it due to Code42 discontinuing support of peer-to-peer backup and changing their offerings.

Setup was straightforward, since our back-end storage was already established.

If you do not have a storage provider already, this will add time as that will have to also be setup before Cloudberry can be used.

In-house implementation.

This is a good solution for smallish businesses and appears scalable to some extent. Enterprise level companies may find other solutions more appropriate. However, I do know that Cloudberry central management is possible using their managed backup tool.

I took a look at Duplicati and Arq, as well as CrashPlan's future offerings. Duplicati has real promise, but it is not stable enough yet and is a bit too fiddly.