Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

MongoDB Atlas OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

MongoDB Atlas is #4 ranked solution in top Database as a Service vendors. PeerSpot users give MongoDB Atlas an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. MongoDB Atlas is most commonly compared to Amazon RDS: MongoDB Atlas vs Amazon RDS. MongoDB Atlas is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 67% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 18% of all views.
MongoDB Atlas Buyer's Guide

Download the MongoDB Atlas Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is MongoDB Atlas?

MongoDB Atlas delivers the world’s leading database for modern applications as a fully automated cloud service engineered and run by the same team that builds the database. Proven operational and security practices are built in, automating time-consuming administration tasks such as infrastructure provisioning, database setup, ensuring availability, global distribution, backups, and more. The easy-to-use UI and API let you spend more time building your applications and less time managing your database.

MongoDB Atlas was previously known as Atlas.

MongoDB Atlas Customers

eHarmony, Sega, KPMG, Telefonica, Checkr, 7-Eleven

MongoDB Atlas Video

MongoDB Atlas Pricing Advice

What users are saying about MongoDB Atlas pricing:
  • "Comparing the price between the MongoDB and Microsoft SQL Server, we are using the enterprise edition of Microsoft SQL Server, which is more expensive than MongoDB."
  • "We pay for the license on a monthly basis. It's not cheap or expensive. For smaller companies, it's definitely expensive."
  • "We pay for a license."
  • "The solution is expensive overall. It does not require a license but if you want the support then you will need to purchase the license. They use a pay-as-you-go model and you are able to receive some discounts by making longer usage commitments."
  • "We're currently using the Atlas for the night and don't require a license. However, it can be a problem if you want to use their enterprise environment. Then you need to purchase the license."
  • MongoDB Atlas Reviews

Senior Project Manager - IT Services at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Fantastic integrations, with multiple support levels
    • "The features that I have found most valuable include the very easy integrations. The integrations are fantastic. I have not faced any challenges from the integration standpoint."
    • "I am still new with it, but since I mentioned that I'm using this product for only the last six months and my experience with this product is good thus far, on a scale of one to ten, I would give MongoDB Atlas a six."

What is our primary use case?

Our use case for MongoDB Atlas is not an as an RDBMS. It is a NoSQL database which means that it's not like a traditional database such as Oracle or Microsoft SQL Server. It's a NoSQL database, and it is much easier to manage. The scalability is very high, the performance is very high, and the cost is lower as compared to the traditional database for cloud.

What is most valuable?

The features that I have found most valuable include the very easy integrations. The integrations are fantastic. I have not faced any challenges from the integration standpoint.

In terms of storage, it is pay as you go storage so I'm just paying for the service.

The dashboards are very good, you can customize as per your requirement.

The configuration is so easy. It's very handy and user-friendly. You just need to open the portal page, configure your application, and you are done. 10 minutes are required, that's it.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, I don't think we are in a position to give any kind of recommendation to the MongoDB service provider, because we still are in the evaluation phase. We are not mature. We just have six months of experience, and we have not found any challenges with that service provider where we could recommend that they need to add XYZ for this catalog.

I have been using MongoDB Atlas for the last six months.

We are using the latest version because it's always available since MongoDB is a cloud-based solution.

MongoDB Atlas
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about MongoDB Atlas. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    633,572 professionals have used our research since 2012.

In terms of stability, stable means that you get the services from the cloud provider. MongoDB Atlas is a cloud service provider, and the stability, availability, and the whole thing is their responsibility. Nothing is connected with you. I'm just paying them to be triple nine availability, five times nine availability, depending on the kind of different plans we have. We take a plan with the cloud service provider and it is their responsibility that the database and services are up and running as per our requirement. We don't manage the database. We just use the database.

In terms of scalability, when you ask for the database, there is no direct user connected to the database. Let's suppose we are going on any kind of e-commerce site, for example you log into amazon.com to procure something. There are millions of users who are connected to the interface. But no one will be able to directly connect with the database. It's not like the users are going to directly connect with the database and see the optimization performance. It is a front end UI which will connect with the database itself.

Any product selection is based on the project's needs. We select the tools and technologies based on the kind of requirements we receive from the customer. So, today we are using MongoDB. Tomorrow we may use another DB, and the day after tomorrow we may use some other Postgres DB. We are not limited with one OEM supplier. We select our solution based on the customer's needs.

As you know, all cloud service providers offer different plans for support. It is up to us to select what plan we need from them. For example, there are entry level plans, mid-level plans, premium plans, golden plans, etc...

If I need to manage something, if I have any problem, and I want a MongoDB consultant to help me online to fix my problem, so I should opt to have a premium plan. Whenever we are stuck with some problem, we raise a ticket to the cloud service provider and we explain to them the problem we are facing. They analyze the problem and they help us in terms of suggestions and recommendation for how they would repair all those things. As far as the support goes, it's good.

The kind of support plan category you opt for from the cloud service provider is only design KPI and actually they provide the support. For example, if I choose the silver level entry plan, then the SLA will be from when I put my question inquiry until they answer it in 24 hours.

You need to understand, that's why I have recently opted for the silver plan. If I opted for the platinum plan, I will be able to get the answer within five minutes of the moment I log my ticket. That is called the platinum service. If I pay as a platinum service, I will get the response in five minutes. But if I get a service with a 24-hour response, that means I understood that I'm okay getting it then because I cannot pay or invest so much money on the support side.

My product selection is based on the customer's requirements. Every project has its own requirements. It's not that I don't like Oracle or the Microsoft SQL Server. But when I choose the database, it's based on the customer's needs only.

It's a software as a service, so you don't do any kind of installation. You just add the services in your application and you are good to go. You just need to buy an account, that's it.

You don't know where this database is being deployed and you don't know where the storage is. When we are working on the cloud, we don't know where exactly the service provider is storing the data. The only agreement we have with the service provider is for the security, the reliability, and the availability of our data, and that's it. But whatever is inside the data, that is our responsibility.

If you understand cloud computing, there is nothing called licensing. They call it a service - we are getting software as a service. We are not getting any licenses for that. If you need a service today, you use that service today, and if you don't require it tomorrow, you will discontinue with it. So you will not incur any costs from the licensing side. You will just pay as you go, that's it.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend MongoDB Atlas to be used by other people, because this is the current technology which everyone should use.

I am still new with it, but since I mentioned that I'm using this product for only the last six months and my experience with this product is good thus far, on a scale of one to ten, I would give MongoDB Atlas a six.

AhmetÖzdemir - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Database Administrator at Türk Telekom
    Allows our business to analyze social media data with machine learning and store the data in MongoDB
    • "Administering the solution is easy."
    • "Based on its own habitat, it's not ACID compliant. If it had an ACID compliant option, it would be more useful for database administration."

What is our primary use case?

I manage services and keep them running. The business analyzes the social media data with machine learning, and that data is stored in MongoDB.

What is most valuable?

Administering the solution is easy.

What needs improvement?

The administration is not very interactive. Most of the time, you don't need to interact with the database, just create a user and indexes. It's not very friendly for developers.

Based on its own habitat, it's not ACID compliant. If it had an ACID compliant option, it would be more useful for database administration.

I have been using this solution for almost three years.

It's a stable solution.

I think there are two kinds of support. One of them is local. If there is any trouble, we open the ticket with a local vendor. If they can't solve those problems, they escalate the problem to the level three engineers at MongoDB.

I would rate their technical support 4 out of 5.

I have also used Microsoft SQL databases. There's a distinction between SQL and MongoDB because one of them is based on the schema first. The other is not schema, not permanent, because of ACID compliant databases. The transaction is very important at the SQL, MYSQL, and Postgre databases, so if any transaction fails, it has to roll back because of the schema at most of ACID compliant databases.

There are 35 million customers that consume those databases, like a POC system. Lots of transactions passing through the system are based on Microsoft SQL. Only semi-structured data – like a document based system like Twitter and social media data – is based on MongoDB.

There are two kinds of setup. One of those setups is sharding, and there is replication. The other setup is hybrid. It's not hard to implement those systems.

Setup is easy. There are only a few commands that you have to execute. First of all, the design is a very important part of it. If you design it based on the best practices, it's easy.

As a database administrator, all those things come around as ready to run. You only need to log in to the server and implement SQL, Mongo, and MySQL databases to implement. It takes only half a day to implement those.

We had a lot of documentation. Most of the time, we couldn't expand those rules, but it's easy to implement.

We have almost 11 people on the database team.

Comparing the price between the MongoDB and Microsoft SQL Server, we are using the enterprise edition of Microsoft SQL Server, which is more expensive than MongoDB.

I would rate the price of MongoDB 4 out of 5.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 10 out of 10.

It's a solid product. A lot of issues have been resolved. It's very sustainable, and it takes minimal effort to solve a problem. It's very easy to deploy.

MongoDB Atlas
    September 2022
    633,572 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Snr. Developer at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
    Scalable and easy to use with good integration capabilities
    • "The product is user-friendly."
    • "If it could be cheaper, that would make us happy."

What is our primary use case?

We store a lot of raw data in MongoDB and all our relational data is in RDS Aurora. We are still evaluating Aurora, however, primarily, most raw data is in MariaDB.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy. It's just not the solution for every use case, however, it's very nice if you don't have structured data or you don't really worry about the structure all the time.

The integration capabilities are fine.

The dashboards are good.

The product is user-friendly.

The solution can scale.

What needs improvement?

We don't have any issues with the solution at this time. It does what we need it to do.

If it could be cheaper, that would make us happy.

I've used the solution for over five years.

We don't have any problems with it. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash and freeze.

The solution is scalable. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so.

We are a processing engine for financial transactions, therefore, we don't have a lot of users per se, however, we've got a lot of customers out there that use the functionality, the payment functionality that uses the system. While we don't have a user frontend all the time interacting with our database, it's basically systems talking to your database.

We've never had to deal with technical support yet, therefore, I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they might be.

Currently, I'm using Spring Boot on top of it and that's all I'm really worried about.

The initial setup is very simple and straightforward. It's not overly complex or difficult. You just create the database from the user's perspective, it's as easy as that. With AWS, it's not an issue anymore in terms of implementation.

We have quite a big team of over 100 people and we're able to handle deployment and maintenance.

We have a DevOps team that was able to handle the installation.

You do get what you pay for. The solution isn't overly expensive.

We don't have any subscriptions that I know of. We are paying for document DB, which is a clone of MongoDB. That's part of our whole solution.

Before choosing this solution we did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. It's brilliant for what we are using it for.

I'd recommend the solution to others.

Ravi Kuppusamy - PeerSpot reviewer
    CEO and Founder at BAssure Solutions
    Flexible solution for fluid schema and doesn't require upstream availability failover
    • "It's flexible. We don't need to have a solid upstream availability failover, and everything is seamless in Atlas."
    • "The biggest challenge we all have is an application layer level. One node is sitting in the APAC region, another node is sitting in the US and UK region. The seamless replication has to be lightning fast, but we haven't tested the scalability yet."

What is our primary use case?

There are many scenarios that MongoDB can fit into, like where there is a fluid schema and no transaction management.

This solution is deployed on a cloud and AWS is the provider.

What is most valuable?

It's flexible. We don't need to have a solid upstream availability failover, and everything is seamless in Atlas. They do all the replication, and all that is probably happening behind the scenes. The pricing isn't that high compared to any of the IBM products.

What needs improvement?

The biggest challenge we all have is an application layer level. One node is sitting in the APAC region, another node is sitting in the US and UK region. The seamless replication has to be lightning fast, but we haven't tested the scalability yet.

There's no straight answer for any of the database providers in that particular space. We don't have a failover, but when it comes to the RPA recovery point objective and RTO, we have to test it.

Atlas should think about a provision in the form of a commitment. You can ask for a longer commitment. Database is one thing. Once I build an application, if it goes to production, it's going to be there for the next 10 years minimum. In that way, somebody's giving you a commitment for five years, so you can give them a huge discount. If somebody's giving a two year commitment, you can give them a better discount.

I've been using this solution for about six months.

It's stable.

I haven't used this solution long enough to gauge the scalability.

We haven't had any issues so far.

It's straightforward and seamless. Setting up takes about 35 minutes, but it could be as little as 20 minutes. We never had a concern with installation. Maybe when you're doing a data migration, that could be a different story altogether.

In development, we have about 15 users. The number of users could go up to 100,000 people because it's an application that we're building. We're building the system for 100,000 concurrent users.

We have the possibility of growing every year on year, probably 30%. We are going to test it to see if we can host multiple tenants in this single DB and if it will be scalable.

We pay for the license on a monthly basis. It's not cheap or expensive. For smaller companies, it's definitely expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.

I would recommend this solution to those who want to start using it.

Bahattin Yetismis - PeerSpot reviewer
    CTO at BE1 consultancy
    Fulfills our NoSQL requirement and allows us to store JSON data

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for our NoSQL requirement. We store data, like JSON data, in MongoDB.

It's deployed on the cloud with AWS.

What is most valuable?

It's a good solution for NoSQL databases.

What needs improvement?

It would be better if there were more integration capabilities with other products.

I have been using this solution for six months.

It's stable.

It's scalable.

We would like to increase usage. Right now, we have 100 people using MongoDB, but in the future, our customers will be around one million when we open up the crypto exchange.

Currently, we have a skilled DBA and don't need any consultancy. In the future, if there are more customers in all of our databases and the DBA is not enough to handle issues, then we will use a consultant for bottlenecks.

I have also used Oracle.

Setup is straightforward. Installing MongoDB takes only one day, but it will take you one week to customize MongoDB for all of the use cases.

For deployment and maintenance, we need two or three DBAs for both MongoDB and MariaDB.

We pay for a license.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 9 out of 10.

I would recommend MongoDB Atlas for those who want to start using it.

Deputy CTO at a tech company with 51-200 employees
    Overall well designed, user friendly, and new features added frequently
    • "The solution is easy to use, the console is user-friendly, and overall a well-designed solution. It takes a complex system and makes it easy to understand. Additionally, the solution is always advancing and they provide a roadmap into what is coming in the future."
    • "The installation was straightforward except for the network hardware because it was a little complicated to make the connection with our VPC on AWS."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for database-managed services.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use, the console is user-friendly, and overall a well-designed solution. It takes a complex system and makes it easy to understand. Additionally, the solution is always advancing and they provide a roadmap into what is coming in the future.

I have been using the solution for approximately two years.

The solution is very stable.

When we use managed service it provides scalability automatically, it is a good option for us.

We purchased the license for the solution to allow us to use the support and it was very high-level support we received. We had technicians advising us for the migration and it was really helpful.

The installation was straightforward except for the network hardware because it was a little complicated to make the connection with our VPC on AWS.

The implementation was done by our two-person DevOps team and it took approximately one week.

The solution is expensive overall. It does not require a license but if you want the support then you will need to purchase the license. They use a pay-as-you-go model and you are able to receive some discounts by making longer usage commitments.

What other advice do I have?

I rate MongoDB Atlas a ten out of ten.

Data Science Lead at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
    Flexible, easy to scale, maintenance-free, and works well as a document store

What is our primary use case?

MongoDB can be used for many things. It's a document store, so you can add whatever collection you need to it. We use it for an application that we've built.

My team is not using it at this time, although other teams in the company may be.

What is most valuable?

The cloud-based nature of this solution makes it flexible and scalable. I like the fact that you can make the deployment bigger, as needed.

Not having to maintain it yourself is good.

What needs improvement?

Querying a dataset is not very intuitive, so I think that it can be improved.

I have been using MongoDB Atlas for approximately two years, although I am not using it for my current project.

This is a stable product and we plan to continue using it.

This is a very scalable product. There are approximately five users.

I have not had experience with technical support.

Prior to this solution, we have used PostgreSQL, which is a database. As a document store, MongoDB is fine.

You don't have to maintain it yourself.

We pay for licensing on a monthly basis and we are fine with the cost.

Waris - PeerSpot reviewer
    Software Engineer at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
    A global cloud database service with a useful schemaless architecture and auto upscale & downscale feature.

What is our primary use case?

We use MongoDB Atlas for our MongoDB deployments.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is schemaless architecture and its rich query support.

What needs improvement?

Masterless architecture for linear scale.

I've been using MongoDB Atlas for about two years.

MongoDB Atlas is a reliable and stable solution.

From the scalability point of view, when we shard the database it creates a replica set of each shard and that will increase the cost. Also, It will be a pain if we just start with Atlas and then moved to manage our own databases. Basically to support three shards you have to maintain nine instances.

We're on the cloud so the initial setup was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend MongoDB Atlas to potential users. You can bootstrap very quickly and It doesn't constrain you in any way.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give MongoDB Atlas a nine.

Download our free MongoDB Atlas Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022