Amazon RDS OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Amazon RDS is the #2 ranked solution in top Database as a Service vendors. PeerSpot users give Amazon RDS an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. Amazon RDS is most commonly compared to Google Cloud SQL: Amazon RDS vs Google Cloud SQL. Amazon RDS is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 65% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 18% of all views.
Amazon RDS Buyer's Guide

Download the Amazon RDS Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Amazon RDS?

Amazon Relational Database Service (Amazon RDS) is a web service that makes it easier to set up, operate, and scale a relational database in the cloud. It provides cost-efficient, resizeable capacity for an industry-standard relational database and manages common database administration tasks.

Amazon RDS was previously known as RDS.

Amazon RDS Customers

Edmodo

Amazon RDS Video

Amazon RDS Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Amazon RDS pricing:
  • "if you don't know how to optimize and use your tool properly, the cost might hurt you."
  • "The price could be better."
  • Amazon RDS Reviews

VinayKumar2 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Lead Data Engineer at Seven Lakes Enterprises, Inc.
    • "I recommend RDS because it makes your life super easy."
    • "One of the challenges of AWS RDS is that it doesn't support performance insight. So we need to write our own script or use third-party tools."

What is most valuable?

The product is pretty good for small or mid-scale organizations that don't have the luxury of proper DBAs or a large infra team. Scaling up and down is relatively easy without a proper setup. And apart from reducing these overheads, you have better performance insights if you use a server. And if you are serverless, your costs are lower. So we use both.

What needs improvement?

Concerning performance, when a cluster upgrades from lower to upper config, the connection drops. This could be solved by better coding and settings and included in the next release.

It's supposed to be scalable, but we don't feel that. True, there won't be any drops. The solution they gave was to maintain our cluster at a level sufficient for our peak load. However, that will probably defeat the whole purpose of on-demand scalability. So that is certainly where we might need to rethink the solution. It actually works in real-time, but it's not at a level where we can think of five seconds or 10 seconds there.

We've been using the solution for three years.

Two of our products are in production on RDS, so we use RDS extensively. RDS routers are valid on two of our product suites. And then RDS SQL Server 2016 instance 52 is on many of our client implementations.

Amazon RDS
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Amazon RDS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    653,522 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's supposed to be scalable, but we don't feel that. True, there won't be any drops. The solution they gave was to maintain our cluster at a level sufficient for our peak load. However, that will probably defeat the whole purpose of on-demand scalability. So that is certainly where we might need to rethink.

RDS support is decent enough.

We contact tech support about different issues in general and concerning the services we provide.

Before deployment, we do our POC in a lower environment, making everything very clear. But whenever we have downtime or hiccups, we investigate. And if needed, we reach out to the tech support team for clarification.

One of the challenges of AWS RDS is that it doesn't support performance insight. So we need to write our own script or use third-party tools.

If Amazon could provide the same support for serverless solutions that it provides for server-based ones, like RDS instance-based SQL Server, that would be a great improvement.

I would rank the setup as eight out of 10, along with the Microsoft SQL Server on RDS. It took 10 to 15 minutes. It was straightforward for me as my field is data and data engineering. But it shouldn't be too difficult for anyone unfamiliar with the technologies because the documentation is pretty clear.

We do everything in-house. So typically, we don't hire consultants unless we land up in a very niche area. We also work closely with AWS teams on different POCs before launch.

We are not currently scaling up our legacy infra, so we are definitely seeing dollars there, typically around 3K. Since it's not calculated, I'm giving the figure off the top of my head. So this will be quite a different figure for different people.

On pricing, I would rate RDS six out of 10 because if you don't know how to optimize and use your tool properly, the cost might hurt you. It would've been great if they had some cost alerts. You can usually manage using CloudWatch, but a simple notification that your costs just went up sharply or you overspent would help. I know there are videos and instructions on AWS. I'm not saying it's not there. But when the technology is new to you, it's hard to know what went wrong. And certainly, if you're not looking at your bill, you will be shocked by the amount.

We had one or two bad instances or hiccups, but now we have everything under control. The licensing is fine for us, but it may be a challenge for new users.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Amazon RDS eight or nine out of 10.

I recommend RDS because it makes your life super easy. You can focus on your main functionality, your product and on maintaining your infra. It is highly recommended for small and mid-sized organizations.

We have thousands of RDS users in our company.

The number of users is directly proportional to the number of clients and their user tools. As we grow, so will the number of users.

The only deployment we do is for RDS. In fact, the product itself does the whole stack deployment. You don't need a deployment team for RDS when it's service-based or for the separate deployment of S3. The same person can do RDS on S3. Usually, you would have a cloud ops team of two or three, depending on the number of clients and the complexity and size of the projects.

If you're changing your tech stack and working with new cloud technologies, RDS makes sense. And one of the major costs of legacy technologies is RDBMS licensing, which can be managed and used optimally using RDS.

Data Sleek - PeerSpot reviewer
    Owner at a consultancy with 1-10 employees
    Great for backups and creating replicas and allows users to change the size of an RDS MySQL instance
    • "Being able to change the size of an RDS MySQL instance is amazing."
    • "The Performance Monitor they have is a little clanky, at least in regards to the UI."

What is our primary use case?

When I was working for at my previous organization, we wanted to bring stability to all our MySQL databases. As a DBA, at first, it was scary as I thought I would be out of a job, however, the RDS managed DB allowed me to focus more on optimization and less on administration. (both hardware and software).

When I was working at another organization we had a large amount of MySQL on-prem to manage. It required lots of time to set them up, monitoring, and maintain them. RDS really allowed us to remove all the painful administration parts.

How has it helped my organization?

Less time was spent maintaining MySQL. Having to configure each server and spinning up a new MySQL in RDS takes 10 to 15min. It's a huge time-saving in maintenance.

By using RDS, AWS takes care of the maintenance of the hardware and software updates. Being able to scale quickly or downsize with no impact is also great.

All of your databases are nicely organized under 1 interface; you have quick access to some monitors and Cloudwatch can be used to set up alerts based on thresholds and notify you.

Today, with Terraform, you can automate the full process of creating RDS servers, deprecating them, changing their size, adding a replica, etc.

What is most valuable?

Create Replicas. Being able to create a replica with just a few clicks is great. Setting replication before would require backup, restore, and synching replication.

Backups. The fact that you can take a snapshot of the database without impacting the server is great. In comparison, large backups could lock tables or take too long. Alternatively, you would have to use tools such as xtraDB backup. That requires lots of code and maintenance.

Change Size. Being able to change the size of an RDS MySQL instance is amazing. There's no need to provision new machines, setup replication, etc. It's all done for you.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs RDS Mysql support for both MySQL 8 and MariaDB

I wish they had designed a better MySQL Monitoring solution. I personally like SolarWinds DPA.

The performance is not always as good as MySQL running on its own EC2 instance. I have done some benchmarks before between EC2 instances and RDS and EC2 were better.

Being unable to select Out-file is annoying. They do support select Out-files into S3 but only on Aurora. It would be nice if they had implemented that feature in RDS MySQL.

I've been using AWS RDS for more than 8 years.

MySQL RDS is very stable. I cannot say that running MySQL on-premise or on EC2 instances is less stable than RDS MySQL. However, when there are hardware issues, if you have RDS MySQL standby "on", you'll appreciate the fail-over solution.

MySQL RDS can scale very well. I have been using it in critical Production services.

AWS Customer Support is pretty good. Their response time is usually adequate. They offer different support options and provide different support media (for example, phone, web, and email).

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

I was using MySQL on-prem. I decided to switch due to the amount of time required to maintain on-premises databases.

The initial setup is fairly straightforward. There is some tuning that needs to be done with RDS. The default settings are not always adequate.

We handled the implementation in-house.

Make sure you provision your MySQL RDS properly. Don't over or under-provision.

Perform some benchmarks before migrating. Migrating to a new system is costly. You don't want to have your data migrated only to realize it performs much worse than before.

I did not evaluate other options. I did evaluate Aurora, however, for the project requirements, it was not needed.

What other advice do I have?

RDS MySQL (and Postgres) are great managed database services. AWS provides a large range of database instance sizes from micro to very large machines. RDS can scale, and creating Replicas is very easy to accomplish.

If you're unsure if you should start using RDS or not, I suggest you consult with a MySQL RDS DBA or Data Architect who has used RDS for several years before making a decision.

Private Cloud

Amazon RDS
    November 2022
    653,522 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    CTO at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
    Extremely stable and easy to use but the pricing can get expensive without proper provisioning
    • "The product is very, very easy to use."
    • "You can only get access from the sales support. That means if you want to buy something or renew your subscription or upgrade, all these services are easily available. Yet, if you would like to get some technical support, you have to pay for it. You have to pay for an additional subscription."

What is our primary use case?

This product is used primarily for storing data. The process is you have to reserve RDS space and then you can install any database scheme you want, for example, MariaDB, SQL or Aurora. We typically use Aurora DB.

What is most valuable?

The solution has proven to be quite stable so far.

The product is very, very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The only thing that I can say is, you have to be really careful about the Cloud provision plannings - meaning that you should calculate the cost carefully due to the fact that the bill is increased sharply if you increase the limit. You have to provision what you need per month.

The solution charges for technical support, which is something they should change, at least for those organizations on tier one.

We've only been using this solution for six months. It's been less than a year. We haven't been using it for too long just yet.

We've found this solution to be very stable. It's reliable. We don't really deal with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. So far, it's been very good.

The solution is fully scalable. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so with ease.

Everyone in our organization uses the product. It's pretty widespread. The idea is you save your data on Cloud and make it available to everybody, add it to your website.

We plan to continue to use this service, at least over the next year or so.

Technical support is not ideal. It's one of Amazon's pain points.

Amazon offers a free service tier, a so-called free tier for start-ups. We are a start-up. By the time that you sign up with Amazon, you're connected to the free tier, however, for some reason, you don't have access to the support.

You can only get access from the sales support. That means if you want to buy something or renew your subscription or upgrade, all these services are easily available. Yet, if you would like to get some technical support, you have to pay for it. You have to pay for an additional subscription. It's really too bad.

Everybody using cloud computing needs technical support at some point, so this jeopardizes the original promise of the free tier. If you have to pay for any given question to the technical department, it is not free anymore. That's really a drawback in terms of Amazon's service.

There are alternatives to RDS, and therefore you can use another type of cloud computing if you like. However, I haven't used any.

While, with all services of Amazon, there is a starter option that is given for free, this starter offer is not enough for the development or the deployment of products. Each time you pass these limits, you have to pay and it's completely unpredictable.

The pricing can get very expensive. You pay a standard price, which is low, for a fixed reservation. However, if you exceed your limit, instantly, then the bill is increased tremendously. That's a drawback for the system. You have to provision very carefully and to make sure that you do not exceed the limit.

That said, after careful provisioning, it is a very cheap option. If you are successful at cloud provisioning, you won't need to pay much.

You do have to pay extra for technical support, even if you are on the free service tier.

What other advice do I have?

Despite the issues around pricing and technical support, RDS is a good choice for organizations due to the fact that it's very easy to use. I'd recommend it to others due to this ease of use and general stability.

Overall, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten. If they had a free technical support tier I might rate it higher.

Shaamil Ashraff - PeerSpot reviewer
    Architect - Database Administration at Mitra Innovation
    Resilient, reliable, and easy to set up
    • "The time to install or set up a database environment is very fast."
    • "The solution is a bit expensive."

What is our primary use case?

Whatever is to be stored, for example, any database requirements, you can use RDS, unless you need to scale it to quite a large size, RDS could be a good solution. You can still go beyond RDS, however, basically for small to medium-sized database requirements, you can always reliably use RDS as a database solution.

What is most valuable?

The first thing I like about RDS is the on-prem implementation. The time to install or set up a database environment is very fast.

The resilience, multi-zone resilience, and availability are great. We don't need to extensively create any replication services or anything that we have to worry about as DBAs. Everything is given. It's just a matter of punching in the parameters and in the background, it all that is configured.

The initial setup is straightforward.

It's scalable.

The solution is reliable and stable.

What needs improvement?

If you are a very tech-savvy guy who is a DBA, there are certain limitations due to how it's been implemented. You cannot do a lot of platform-level changes if that's how it's been set up, however, it's not required actually. Those limitations have not stopped anything, not stopped us from doing anything. That said, someone more technical may not like the limitations. Platform-level changes are not allowed.

The solution is a bit expensive.

I've been dealing with the solution for the last eight months.

I haven't experienced any stability and can therefore say it's reliable and the performance is good. It doesn't crash or freeze.

I've found the solution to be scalable.

I have worked with only three clients at the moment with RDS.

Technical support has been very good.

The implementation process is straightforward. The instructions are very clear. Even a person with basic knowledge would be able to spin up an RDS without an issue. It's not very complicated. The parameters are simple. You can read and understand everything very easily and know what questions to ask and what parameters to consider.

One staff member is more than enough for deployment and maintenance.

You don't need a separate staff for the RDS management. A regular person who manages the rest of the Amazon services can easily monitor it. It has a very good service called CloudWatch, Amazon CloudWatch. Through CloudWatch, everything could be monitored very, very well. All these services are auto-scale. Alerts can be automated as well. I've done this for clients. We have it configured in a way where it's very easy to maintain and manage. We don't need to continuously monitor or anything. We have set thresholds and that CloudWatch service actually helps us to do the monitoring part automatically.

Across most of the database services, it had been a little expensive. It's not only Amazon. If you look at other cloud solution providers, they have to reconsider bringing the prices down. Some clients might not be able to reap their ROI the way that the pricing has been structured for RDS services. It was quite expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I'm an implementer.

I'd recommend the solution. It would be perfect for whoever starts a small or medium business. This is the go-to database they should consider.

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten.

BharathKumar2 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Database Administrator at Cartrack
    It gives us the ability to select as many tools, replicas, regions, and zones as we want
    • "Amazon RDS gives us the ability to select as many tools, replicas, regions, and zones as we want."
    • "Some of the features will not be there. For example, some on-premises things we want to set up will not be supported there. There are some challenges that they are fixing."

What is our primary use case?

We have on-prem servers and our database is hosted in the cloud on Amazon RDS. Everything is automated there, like setting up backups and replication. We have around 40 persons using RDS.

What is most valuable?

Amazon RDS gives us the ability to select as many tools, replicas, regions, and zones as we want.

I've used Amazon RDS for six or seven years.

RDS is stable. A cloud solution is always stable, and RDS servers are solid.

Amazon RDS is highly scalable. It is much simpler to scale up compared to an on-premise solution where you need to buy new hardware and migrate all the data. Ifwe need more capacity, there is a symbol that you can click on to upgrade your hardware.

If you want one more server in a different region, you can spin it up and everything is done on the cloud. You can just select what you need and go, whether you're going to downgrade or upgrade to system type TX for whatever configuration you want.

Amazon support is good, but we've only communicated with them via email so far. We email support when we have questions, and they've always come up with the proper solution.

Before Amazon, we had MySQL and PostgreSQL, but it's not like we switched We still have on-premise solutions and some things in the cloud. Most of our stuff is still on-prem. It depends on if it's a critical application that is heavily used, so you don't have downtime.

Installation is straightforward. You choose your database for RDS, like MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, etc., and select the distance type. It takes a maximum of five minutes time to select and set up the system. Our servers can be up and running in 10 to 15 minutes, and data migration took about an hour.

We have several in-house teams with separate databases, so they usually take care of it for us. I worked on some databases. We have a different method for RDS. One stacked, so we build our own scripts and publish them in the stack.

Amazon RDS is a little costly, but it also reduces the number of full-time employees needed. We require fewer system admins or DBS because RDS reduces our workload.

It's pay as you go. Once you are using it, you will get support. You don't need to buy a yearly license to get support. If we deployed our server there, we would get support from them.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Amazon RDS nine out of 10. I recommend it. Cost is the only issue. RDS is one of the best choices if you need scalability and reliability, but you're not worried about the cost.

Some of the features will not be there. For example, some on-premises things we want to set up will not be supported there. There are some challenges there that they are fixing.

Hybrid Cloud
    Electrical Engineer at Strathmore University
    A solution with quick deployment, but the interface could be improved
    • "The IT is easy to set up, which is the best."
    • "Sometimes the interface has many moving parts, which is a concern."

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution because I am trying to develop a fintech application.

How has it helped my organization?

It takes off a load in setting up the VM, infrastructure, software and user accounts that go with databases.

What is most valuable?

I appreciate how Amazon RDS allows me to choose the kind of database I want. The IT is easy to set up, which is the best. It makes it easy to deploy quickly. I initially tried setting up a database on a local machine and realized that several requirements were needed. I needed to do a lot of infrastructure management.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes the interface has many moving parts, which is a concern. For example, the cloud is a virtual network instead of having a dedicated VPC that handles databases, and they have it connected to the VPC that handles the main Amazon infrastructure.

If I had one that was indicated, it would make things easier because there are specific things I need when connecting to ensure accessibility. There is no need for multiple settings, considering a database cannot survive independently. Amazon RDS needs a connection to be a client, so they should tune it a bit more. In addition, uploading and having it done within a short period is challenging.

I have used this solution for the past seven months, and we use the latest version. It is deployed on the cloud, public AWS.

It has good availability, and so far, we haven't had any issues with it.

We haven't reached the point where we need to scale up for performance or storage. But I don't think manually scaling the discs is easy to do, so it should be able to scale on its own. In addition, the instances can manage the traffic, and there's an option for setting each total scale. So depending on how production goes, we may scale it. We have three people using the solution, including myself. So we need only one person to maintain.

We haven't contacted technical support because we haven't encountered any issues.

I completed the deployment myself. We're using local databases on a local host to test and deploy it.

We do not have any return on investment because we are still testing.

I do not have specific details about the pricing, but we use the solution on demand. I rate the pricing a six out of ten, with one being the most expensive and ten being the cheapest. We have to pay extra for monitoring services.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a seven out of ten. Regarding advice, learning from other good consoles and having the basics before approaching them is essential.

Teach Lead - (Senior) Mean Full Stack Developer at GreenMedia Partners (Pvt) Ltd
    Simple to install and reliable, but the documentation could be improved
    • "The dashboard and performance are the most valuable features of Amazon RDS."
    • "With my limited experience, I have noticed that documentation management could be improved. It could be better."

What is most valuable?

The dashboard and performance are the most valuable features of Amazon RDS.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what needs to be improved, I am unable to provide appropriate feedback because we are still familiarizing ourselves with the solution.

Some of the documents that I have seen also state that Amazon previously supported MS SQL, which is great, but we are going into the database areas of PostgreSQL and MySQL.

I have been working with Amazon RDS for three months.

We are using the latest version.

Amazon RDS is stable. I have not had any issues with the stability of this solution.

We are just now experimenting with scalability.

We have two engineers using this solution in our organization.

We are not receiving direct support from them, AWS. But from the previous company, we got one of the API services for this one, which was fine. But because of the account, we stopped the service, taking the service. We are still maintaining the solution on our end.

I would rate the technical support a three or four out of five.

EC2 and Lambda functions are two of Amazon's other services.

There is another service that I have used. I have used Amazon services.

Our team and CTO are also looking into it. They were suggesting that Amazon was the best.

The initial setup was easy for me. In the beginning, I began with research and development. I didn't have any issues, it comes naturally to me.

I deployed this solution myself.

It took me, two or three hours to complete because I had to go through the documentation and check those areas.

I am not aware of the licensing costs.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

I would rate Amazon RDS a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud

Agnaldo Carmo - PeerSpot reviewer
    Data Engineer at Elastacloud
    A distributed relational database service with good technical support, but the price could be better

What is our primary use case?

We are using AWS RDS to have a database that we're not using at the moment. I'm not making any changes to the parameter of the database or the configuration of the database on AWS. I just have to open a new port on the map of the network to have a connection to the prepaid network.

What is most valuable?

The initial setup is straightforward, and technical support is good.

What needs improvement?

The price could be better. We have better options like Microsoft Azure to use in the cloud. I also don't think it's very scalable.

I've been using Amazon RDS for almost five months.

I don't think it's very scalable. In comparison, Microsoft Azure has many options. In RDS, I couldn't even find many options to increase or to perform a scale up or scale down.

Technical support is good.

The initial setup is straightforward because our data isn't difficult to manage. But there are a few things that take some time or become hard to manage because we have many security and network configurations. I need to rush through the connection between my machine and the cloud to bypass our prepaid network, and that makes things a little bit harder. But it's not too complicated.

At the time, we needed to deploy by ourselves, manually. I think it took just one or two of us to implement and maintain this solution.

The price could be better.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Amazon RDS a seven.