Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Google Cloud SQL OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Google Cloud SQL is #3 ranked solution in top Database as a Service vendors. PeerSpot users give Google Cloud SQL an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. Google Cloud SQL is most commonly compared to SQL Azure: Google Cloud SQL vs SQL Azure. Google Cloud SQL is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 65% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 19% of all views.

Download the Database as a Service Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Google Cloud SQL?
Google Cloud SQL is a fully-managed database service that makes it easy to set up, maintain, manage, and administer your relational PostgreSQL and MySQL databases in the cloud. Google Cloud SQL offers high performance, scalability, and convenience. Hosted on Google Cloud Platform, Cloud SQL provides a database infrastructure for applications running anywhere.
Google Cloud SQL Customers
BeDataDriven, CodeFutures, Daffodil, GenieConnect, KiSSFLOW, LiveHive, SulAm_rica, Zync
Google Cloud SQL Video

Google Cloud SQL Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Google Cloud SQL pricing:
"From a financial perspective, Google Cloud SQL is on the cheaper side."

Google Cloud SQL Reviews

SCRUM Master at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Fast with easy backup capabilities and a low learning curve
  • "It's SQL. SQL is so easy if you know something about databases. It's easy to learn."
  • "In the case of Google, they need to work on a more easy interface for users."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution due to the fact that our server instance, the data center instance, is in GCP.

What is most valuable?

The speed is very good.

It's useful in terms of the simplicity of doing backups.

You can have redundant databases for reports, for posts, for example.

I like the cloud aspect.

The pricing of the solution seems reasonable.

The solution is stable.

Google seems to be working on a data lake solution, and we are happy with that.

What needs improvement?

Other clouds, like Azure, have some specific products, and Google doesn't have something like that. For example, if you work in Google, you can use Dialogflow to make a chatbot. However, the Azure methodology or system is more powerful for those chatbots.

In the case of Google, they need to work on a more easy interface for users.

Azure is easier to learn. I don't know why. I like the Azure system, even though I'm a user of Google. I don't like it when on the screen you can't follow the steps clearly. The user interface just isn't as intuitive. When it comes to Google Cloud, in order to do something, you need to read more maybe. It requires more research and learning.

I've been using the solution for two to three years.

September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Google, Microsoft, Amazon and others in Database as a Service. Updated: September 2022.
632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The product is stable, however, maybe they need support for more databases. I remember some problems with the PostgreSQL integration with BigQuery or something like that. I don't remember now, however, from what I recall, we needed more support for other databases in GCP SQL.

We have maybe 200 people using the solution right now in our organization.

We also use PostgreSQL in GCP and BigQuery too for extract information from Jira.

The licensing is charged yearly, however, I don't manage the cost of the cloud in my company. I only work with Atlassian products. We are users of GCP for our instance. When I work with data in Google Cloud, our data people say the cost is not a problem. I can make a dump of databases daily and store extractions in buckets, for example, every day, full data, all days. And it's not a problem, cost-wise.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and an end-user.

I'd rate the solution an eight out of ten.

Aakash Sharma - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Technical Architect at HCL Technologies
Issue-free, easy to maintain, and reliable
  • "It supports different databases, like Postgres and MySQL."
  • "The monitoring part could be better."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for lift and shift migrations. For example, from on-prem MySQL to the cloud.

What is most valuable?

It supports different databases, like Postgres and MySQL. It allows you even to migrate data from one DB to another one, for example, from MySQL to Postgres, et cetera.

The solution is stable and reliable.

It's a scalable product.

The solution has been issue-free.

What needs improvement?

We haven't had any issues and have not come across missing features.

The monitoring part could be better. People who are not very, very technical and who may be more on the business side, find that it can be a little difficult to understand the metrics. That probably can be simplified.

We've only used the solution for four or five months. It hasn't been that long just yet. It's been much less than a year.

It's quite stable. It's reliable. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. The performance is good.

We can easily scale the product as needed. It's not a problem.

We have eight to ten users at this time.

We don't have any plans to scale at this time, however, it may be something we consider in the future.

We've had no issues so far. We have not required technical support.

We previously used Postgres. Managing the DBs was a little tedious, so we migrated them to Cloud SQL.

There is no setup process per se. It's on the cloud and therefore there is nothing to upload or download.

We do have a technical team involved in the product, however, we don't have to worry about deployment or maintenance tasks.

We have not needed any outside assistance.

The is no license required.

What other advice do I have?

As a cloud product, we're always on the latest version of the solution. it self-updates.

I'd recommend the solution. It is well suited for this lift and shift migration, especially if you are accessing everything within your VM. They have a Cloud SQL proxy and those things. It's easier to maintain and you don't really have to worry about the operation side of it.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

September 2022
632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Consultant at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
A perfect solution with perfect support and good security, storage, stability, and scalability
  • "I found its storage and security to be the most valuable. It was a good experience. It is also very stable and scalable, and its support is perfect."
  • "I am yet to explore a lot of features that are present in this solution. However, it would be good if more documentation is available for this solution. This would help us in preparing for the certification exam and understand it better. Currently, we don't have much documentation. We do the labs for 20 or 25 minutes, but we can't capture and download anything."

What is our primary use case?

I am using it for database purposes. I am learning it to prepare for my certification. I have done a few big uploads, which I have removed later on.

What is most valuable?

I found its storage and security to be the most valuable. It was a good experience.

It is also very stable and scalable, and its support is perfect.

What needs improvement?

I am yet to explore a lot of features that are present in this solution. However, it would be good if more documentation is available for this solution. This would help us in preparing for the certification exam and understand it better. Currently, we don't have much documentation. We do the labs for 20 or 25 minutes, but we can't capture and download anything.

I have started to use it very recently. It has been three-plus months.

Based on my experience so far, it has been very stable.

It is very scalable. We can add and remove the nodes and other things. We can also add servers and other patches as per the requirement.

We have a team of seven people who are using it currently. We are preparing for our certifications. Very soon, we will get some projects in our company, and at that time, we will use it officially.

They are perfect. I would rate them a 100 out of 100. Whenever I have faced an issue, I got full support from their side, irrespective of whether it was a small or big issue. They're really good people, and they helped me a lot. Their support is wonderful.

It was easy to set up.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It has a lot of good features. It is easily scalable.

I would rate Google Cloud SQL a ten out of ten.

Google
Pethuru Chelliah - PeerSpot reviewer
Chief Architect at Reliance Industries Ltd
Stable database management solution that offers good performance and scalability
  • "This is a stable solution and offers good performance."
  • "To create a seamless data integration, the title integration of these databases with the data integration platforms is essential. This is what we would like to have in a future release."

What is most valuable?

We are focusing on data pipeline creation and data migration. It involves continuous streaming of data from one place to Google Cloud to be analyzed immediately.

What needs improvement?

Knowledge graphs and data integration is very important for distribution for our business. To create a seamless data integration, the title integration of these databases with the data integration platforms is essential. This is what we would like to have in a future release.

We would also like to have artificial intelligence capabilities. We are exploring the leverage of Machine Learning Algorithms for workload prediction and AI capabilities would assist in this regard.

We have been using this solution for two years.

This is a stable solution and offers good performance.

As this product is cloud based, it is scalable.

The technical support is good.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial setup is not that complex.

From a financial perspective, Google Cloud SQL is on the cheaper side.

We did compare it with other solutions from Amazon and Microsoft. We received a special incentive from Google. That's why we went for Google Cloud SQL.

What other advice do I have?

Download our free Database as a Service Report and find out what your peers are saying about Google, Microsoft, Amazon, and more!
Updated: September 2022