Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Microsoft Visual Studio OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Visual Studio is #1 ranked solution in top .NET Development Services. PeerSpot users give Microsoft Visual Studio an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. Microsoft Visual Studio is most commonly compared to SharePoint Designer: Microsoft Visual Studio vs SharePoint Designer. Microsoft Visual Studio is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 54% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 35% of all views.
Microsoft Visual Studio Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Visual Studio Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Microsoft Visual Studio?
Visual Studio.NET is the umbrella that represents the key pieces of the .NET platform delivered from Microsoft, including the .NET Framework, the recently announced .NET Core, and a shared common layer of packages, compilers and runtime. Read this .NET blog post about the evolution of the platform and the different pieces that make .NET 2015.

Microsoft Visual Studio was previously known as MS Visual Studio.

Microsoft Visual Studio Customers
Knab, Hamburg Port Authority, Kecioren Municipality, National Instruments, Hamburg Port Authority, Government of Odisha, Kongsberg Maritime AS
Microsoft Visual Studio Video

Microsoft Visual Studio Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft Visual Studio pricing:
  • "We have an enterprise-level license. The cost is expensive for small to medium-sized organizations."
  • "The development license for Microsoft Visual Studio is free. I don't know if there's a licensing cost to it."
  • Microsoft Visual Studio Reviews

Alaa T Alhorani - PeerSpot reviewer
    Sr. Consultant (Enterprise Architect) at Devoteam
    Great support, easy to use, and simple to set up
    • "It's a very easy-to-use product."
    • "It would be great if they added some extra support for other languages that are available in the market and prepared it for the, let's say, crypto developers as we are going in the age of cryptocurrency."

What is our primary use case?

It's mainly used for development. Therefore, it's mainly for either developers or IT development companies where they produce products and then sell them.

It's great for when you want to do development, such as on an enterprise-size project that requires a lot of teams also to be working on that project and that It's also good for helping with the workflow of the development in general.

How has it helped my organization?

It's mainly for the organizations that are working on development. First of all, of course, it helps the organization due to the ease of use. It's been a legacy application. It's been working for years and it is already integrated with the cloud.

It's used to provide the support to develop on multiple platforms, whether it is computer devices, web, cloud, or even mobile applications with the same IDE, which is the Visual Studio itself.

What is most valuable?

It's a very easy-to-use product.

The support is great. The community and the documentation support for it are great. Whatever you are missing, you are going to find it at Microsoft help.

It's easy to set up.

The stability is good.

You can scale it well.

What needs improvement?

It would be great if they added some extra support for other languages that are available in the market and prepared it for the, let's say, crypto developers as we are going in the age of cryptocurrency.

If it was more friendly for the simple or starter developer, it would be great. It's friendly anyway, however, it would be better if there was a way to enhance it in a much more usable way as a user-experience type for the new customers or newbies who want to enter the technology.

Microsoft Visual Studio
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Visual Studio. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    634,590 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using Microsoft Visual Studio since the early versions of VB6, which is like in 2006 or 2005.

The stability is great. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The product, since it supports DevOps and is connected to the cloud, is scalable. It can take on many users. It's a per-user installation. It's not a server application. It's a computer-based application.

There is a new version of it. I didn't try it yet, however, it is fully over the cloud where the development happens on the cloud in Azure. Since I didn't try it, I can't comment on that.

The support is great and so is the supporting documentation. You can easily find answers to your questions. We've very satisfied with that.

Usually, whenever I faced an issue in the past, it would take one to two working days maximum to get assistance. If it was on Azure and you've had a problem on Azure with the server, then it's going to take as much as one day, as it's going to be distributed to the team that is responsible for the region that you are opening the ticket from.

The product is so easy to set up. The only thing you do usually with Microsoft Visual Studio is to go to the internet and download the installer for it. Then it will download the required files and everything from the internet for you, and you go through the installation like any normal program.

The length of time it takes to deploy depends on the features. Visual Studio comes with so many features. It depends on if you are going to choose only Windows development or Windows and mobile development and so on. However, it really depends on the features that you are going to require.

It also depends on the internet speed, as each feature requires extra downloads from the internet.

Usually, I deploy it for my team. I started a company also that provides services for IT companies. What we do is, if they want a development environment and they don't have anyone, then we install it.

The licensing is per user.

There is also the Community Edition which users can access as a start for a small application. It's for open-source applications. That's where they build out the support for the open-source community.

There are also Professional or Enterprise options. Which would be the best option depends on the capacity and the requirements of the company that is going to use it. The licensing is affordable for companies, not for individuals. It's not for personal usage.

What other advice do I have?

We provide Microsoft products to customers.

We are using the 2019 version. I know that they have been planning or they already did create a new version of it, however, the last one was 2019.

I would rate the solution at a nine ot of ten. There is always room for improvement, however, we've been quite happy with it so far.

Sergio Aranda Parra - PeerSpot reviewer
    Business Application Solutions at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    Great features, lots of helpful documentation, allows us to manage our code directly via the repository
    • "I was testing how to publish in a cloud using Azure and it was very easy."
    • "You do need to do some training in order to really take advantage of the solution."

What is our primary use case?

Currently, in my daily work, I am using Visual Studio to develop different tools. Also, I am trying to use DevOps to manage code and different work items.

What is most valuable?

It's an excellent tool in general. There are a lot of features that are very, very nice in Visual Studio.

We can publish directly to the premise's servers. I was testing how to publish in a cloud using Azure and it was very easy. There are a lot of good features in Visual Studio and I'm sure we can add different add-ins or add-ons to make it a little more functional as well.

We can manage our code directly via the repository. We are trying to manage the code in DevOps. With Visual Studio, we can connect to DevOps and manage the different versions that we have using the repository.

What needs improvement?

Currently, we have issues when Visual Studio has updates. When Visual Studio has updates, right now we have issues in terms of updating our repositories. That was the current issue that we have. We need to update Visual Studio, however, we also need to update continuously the Visual Studio version due to the fact that if we don't update the Visual Studio, we have different problems that follow us.

The initial setup can be a bit complex.

The thing that is very important is to manage your requirements and the features that you need to develop using Visual Studio. DevOps has that feature available. When we connect Visual Studio or a project with DevOps, we can manage different work items. They could improve that feature, to manage the work items requirements and different things a bit better.

I've used the solution since about 2012, across two different companies.

It's a stable solution We don't really deal with bugs or glitches. I don't find that it crashes or freeze. It's reliable.

We've found the product to be scalable. If a company needs to expand it out they can do so.

We have about 15 people using it regularly right now.

I'm not sure if we intend to expand usage just yet. We are already, this year, planning to migrate some tools to the cloud. That said, we don't know if we are going to need a little more support or people to do that.

Currently, we use different documentation that exists on the internet to assist us with troubleshooting. We currently use the Microsoft or Visual Studio page to research different functionalities or different features that we need to implement or we need to add to our project. So far, that's been quite helpful.

Initially, it was a little complex to set up. We needed to learn the different features that we could manage in Visual Studio. Right now, as we have had some time to pick things up, it's very straightforward to use.

In terms of deployment, for example, yesterday, I implemented a new version for one of the plants that we have. The tech was immediately published as we are able to use an option to publish the code. We only select the new version and automatically the code is published. It's very fast to publish a new version for the different tools that we have. In that sense, it doesn't take long to deploy.

Each developer is responsible for publishing his own tools and doesn't require another special group or another special people to deploy the tools that we are managing.

Regarding the licensing, I don't manage that. The license is updated each time that it's required to be as the company where I am working, requires that. I don't know if the license is updated monthly or annually, however. It may be annually.

What other advice do I have?

We're customers and end-users.

While this solution is currently on-premises, the plan is this year try to migrate some tools to the cloud using Azure.

I'd advise new users that it's important initially to do some training to implement Visual Studio. If there are people trying to implement Visual Studio in the company, it's very important to consider the training that will be involved and not just the licensing costs.

I'd rate the product at a nine out of ten. It's a good solution.

Microsoft Visual Studio
    September 2022
    634,590 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Azad Periwal - PeerSpot reviewer
    Consultant at ATOS
    MSP
    Easy setup with good interface and lots of languages
    • "The product integrates well with Azure Cloud, and it supports a ton of languages."
    • "It has a ton of options and that sometimes can become very, very overwhelming for a new person, a new developer."

What is most valuable?

It also has a very good interface for Git source code management. Then there are a couple of add-ins or plug-ins that are out there in the marketplace that sometimes come in handy. From a developer standpoint, it does a very good job when it comes to debugging. It's a great development tool.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward.

The solution has good technical support.

What needs improvement?

It has a ton of options and that sometimes can become very, very overwhelming for a new person, a new developer. If something can be done around simplifying the product, for example, if there's a way, to just have enough options that are relevant for me, that could probably help.

The upgrade system is a bit complex. If they're upgrading something, then they should not force us to go to the next version. Maybe they should probably just release a fix or something that, and once we implement that fix, it gives us at least a choice that you're good for some time even if you don't want to upgrade.

A ton of time is just spent trying to keep ourselves up with the frequent releases that Microsoft rolls out. That is something that takes away from our productive time that we could have invested that time to enhance your application, and could have worked on additional features or functionalities, however, you end up spending that time just to upgrade your current solution to the next version that they roll out.

I've been using the solution for three years, however, my team members have been using it for ten to 12 years now.

In terms of the stability, the frequent upgrades that they roll out and then they force us to upgrade the solution, upgrade the tool itself, those sometimes can be a nuisance.

Most of the time, I see my team members end up spending a lot of time just upgrading the application to the next .NET framework. Or sometimes even the Microsoft Visual Studio version that gets rolled out and then you just have to do that upgrade. Therefore, the frequent upgrades that happen just don't support the older ones, they just take it off support, which causes a lot of nuisance.

The project that I'm part of is a huge team for sure. We are a team of a couple hundred.

There have been instances in the past where we have reached out to Microsoft.

Support-wise, they're doing a fair job. I don't mind that. Whenever we reach out, we do get help.

It was a pretty easy setup. For us, basically, it comes with some preconfigured settings. The license that we have is a project from our customer. It is fairly straightforward.

We had a third party help us with the initial setup. We did not do it completely by ourselves.

I'm not someone who concerns myself with the cost. That said, my understanding is the license cost is a lot. Before customers roll out a license for any developer, they make sure that it is relevant and it's required for the job.

What other advice do I have?

We use the enterprise edition of the product. We're using the latest version.

We're end-users of Visual Studio. We're also using Microsoft Teams as well.

We have a couple of applications running on-prem. The roadmap is to move as much as possible onto Azure.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Senior Soft Engineer at SECP
    A solution that is easy to access all the basic templates for development but may be cost prohibitive for smaller organizations
    • "The most valuable feature of Microsoft Visual Studio is how easy it is to access all the basic templates for development. There are so many features you get with Visual Studio that it's really helpful for the deployment, the development, and the intelligence behind it."
    • "I would like to see more on-premise tips and tools along with development time so that I don't need to go to a third-party site."

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft Visual Studio for development.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The product and its features have come a long way over the years. There are so many features available that you can't use them all. I would like to see more on-premise tips and tools along with development time so that I don't need to go to a third-party site. It would be better if Microsoft Visual Studio familiarized me with all the updates and new feature sets. Help tips would be really helpful.

I would like to see a design preview feature. In the 2013 version and partially in the 2015 version, there was a design screen within Visual Studio. Now, you can't really see the design elements during development without deploying the whole design template. The design preview would be beneficial in future updates.

I have been using this solution for 10 years.

The solution is stable. It has not crashed.

Microsoft Visual Studio is scalable enough for us. Teams work on it and can collaborate on their work. The number of users depends on the strength of the team and the requirements of the project.

The support for Microsoft Visual Studio is good. All the templates for different types of development like Windows, APIs, and Angular development are all supported.

Other than the Microsoft line-up, you can work on the open source languages as well. They support open source languages like Angular and Node.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

Previously we worked with different IDEs. We use Visual Studio in parallel with VS Code in parallel with Atom. We also work with Eclipse.

I prefer Visual Studio because I am also working with Microsoft Teams.

The initial setup of Visual Studio is straightforward for anyone familiar with the solution. Newer users will experience a learning curve, but it is not because of the GUI, the user experience is good.

What other advice do I have?

Microsoft Visual Studio is an excellent IDE, but the features are more of VS Code. For small to medium-sized organizations, the licensing for Visual Studio may be too expensive. It is really suited for companies that work on the cloud, or have large teams working on Microsoft Stack. Many open-source tools provide similar feature sets.

On the other hand, you will find Visual Studio more user-friendly than open source. It has a better GUI and is more plug-and-drop compared to other IDEs.

It is also a personal preference. If you are comfortable with command terms, then Visual Studio provides that. If you require a TFS repository, you do need Visual Studio as an IDE, as they are really tightly coupled and easy to do all your CI/CD. Lastly, if you use a version control other than TFS, then you may prefer a different IDE, like VS Code or an open-source IDE.

The main factor is going to come down to cost.

I would rate Microsoft Visual Studio an eight out of ten overall.

Micheale See - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Business System Developer at AVEVA
    Breakout point,and interface design are easy to use, but the solution is not really good at debugging JavaScript, jQuery, or SQL
    • "The solution includes a debug function that I can breakpoint to easily detect what is wrong with my applications."
    • "The solution is not really good at debugging JavaScript, jQuery, or SQL"

What is our primary use case?

I write all of my web applications and perform debugs with the solution. Our company is a Microsoft partner and has 1,000 developers and technical team members that are dispersed across the UK, US, and Asia Pacific.

How has it helped my organization?

The breakout point, interface design, and coding areas are WYSIWYG and easy to use.

What is most valuable?

The solution includes a debug function that I can breakpoint to easily detect what is wrong with my applications. It is really good for debugging C# code. It identifies which lines or sections have problems and if your naming is incorrect.

What needs improvement?

The solution is not really good at debugging JavaScript, jQuery, or SQL.

For SQL, sometimes I get alerts that there are non-values or mismatches but the line or section is not identified. I get very generic information with SQL. I have to install ELMAH open source code into our SQL so Visual Studio can track it.

For jQuery, I have to add the debugger command manually.

Sometimes, when upgrading the product, certain features are removed even though they are very good like EDMS. There was a VISA for connecting databases and creating an entity framework that would generate connections and pulses. It was removed from the latest release so now it needs to be added manually. I like enhancements but would prefer they not remove features as it makes things more difficult.

When they release things like .NET Core, the solution becomes unstable. There needs to be a long-term plan because so many versions have been released that some are duplicates. Let's say I'm using .NET Core version 5 and they change it to .NET 5 or 6.0, the releases are too quick and completely duplicated.

Every new release includes duplicates of features. Some are very useful but when they are duplicated, I have to rewrite or upgrade my code. This makes it difficult for a developer and is not a long-term solution. In one year, I've already spent money to develop my apps, and then I have to upgrade the code again.

I have been using the solution for 20 years.

The solution is not very stable and sometimes hangs.

The solution is scalable and adding users is no problem.

I rely on internal staff for technical support. I believe Microsoft requires you to register as a customer before you can utilize their support. There's an online forum where you can post questions and get quick replies from other users.

Setup and use are easy.

Deployment varies based on the size of your project.

Small, web-deployed projects take less than five minutes and we are ready to publish the web app to Azure.

For on-premises, we build the DLL and web package in advance. It takes 20-30 minutes to import because you have to upload to the file server, download the package, and import the application.

Our company is a Microsoft partner so we only use their solutions.

What other advice do I have?

If you want to use .NET or C#, then Visual Studio is the best solution.

I rate the solution a seven out of ten.

Alireza Nikseresht - PeerSpot reviewer
    CEO at Shiraz University
    Provides an integrated development environment and great for developing enterprise projects
    • "We can write programming code, write our test cases and automate tests in Visual Studio.NET."
    • "The product could be improved by including axle intelligence."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for developing enterprise projects.

What is most valuable?

It is a beneficial tool because we can write programming code, write our test cases and automate tests in Visual Studio.NET. Additionally, after we develop projects, we can automate and test. It also provides an integrated development environment where we can design our page and program it. It works well both on the front and back end.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be improved by including an axle intelligence
    for tech suggestions and suggesting the dependencies between API. When we use some APIs, we have to add the dependency ourselves in Microsoft Visual Studio. However, with axle intelligence, when an API is added to a project, it can find the dependency of the API and add it automatically.

We have been using this solution for about 17 years now and we are currently using the 2019 version.

The solution is very stable. It works very well once it is open and has never crashed.

The solution is scalable, and scalability depends on what we use the tool for. It has various tools we can use in whatever way we choose. Currently, six people are using this product in our company.

We have had a very good experience with customer service and support.
    Whenever we post an issue, someone in the support team reaches out to us within 24 hours. Therefore, I would rate the support team a ten out of ten.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We used Borland IDE before switching to this solution. Borland C++ builder was a good product then, but we switched to this solution because we think Microsoft Visual Studio is currently the best IDE.

The initial setup is straightforward. It just needs to be downloaded and installed from Microsoft.

We implemented this solution on our own. We work with Microsoft Visual Studio on our PCs, which is installed on every PC. For each project, we have a manager and a group of about five to 60 staff members comprising engineers, administrators and managers. We extend our team and employ new people whenever we get a new project.

Unfortunately, we cannot comment on ROI because we are using the community edition.

Unfortunately, because our country is under hefty sanctions, we could not buy this product so we use the community edition, which is a free version. However, we believe the cost of licensing for this product is logical.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this product a ten out of ten. This product is a very good choice for people searching for an Integrated IDE. Microsoft IDE is very integrated and does not require other tools except Microsoft Visual Studio.NET. However, the product could be improved by including axle intelligence.

Enterprise Architect - Integrations at BCA
    Comprehensive and has features that work for different plans; powerful and efficient
    • "What we like about Microsoft Visual Studio is that it's a comprehensive tool. It has features that work for different plans and it has a wide variety of use cases. It's also a powerful tool and it's quite efficient."
    • "The UI could be better, and development could be easier on Microsoft Visual Studio if there were more features like drag and drop and more frameworks, etc."

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft Visual Studio for various builds such as building our .NET applications, and in some cases, we use it for design, and for building specifications.

What is most valuable?

What we like about Microsoft Visual Studio is that it's a comprehensive tool. It has features that work for different plans and it has a wide variety of use cases. It's also a powerful tool and it's quite efficient.

What needs improvement?

There's always room for improvement in any product, and in Microsoft Visual Studio, it can be spread into other areas of development and design. It's pretty much Microsoft-oriented at the moment. It can be spread into other open source or open source-based developments. That's why I gave it a rating of eight. There's always room for improvement, for example, the UI could be better, and development could be easier on Microsoft Visual Studio if there were more features like drag and drop and more frameworks, etc.

We've been using Microsoft Visual Studio for the past three years.

Microsoft Visual Studio is a stable tool. It has improved in terms of stability.

In terms of scalability, I don't know if scalability applies to Microsoft Visual Studio, to be honest.

We never required technical support from Microsoft Visual Studio because it's a straightforward tool. Online help is great, for example, the community support and forums are all good and widely used.

Microsoft Visual Studio has improved a lot over the years, and setting it up is quite straightforward now.

How fast the tool is deployed depends on project to project, but usually deployment is quite efficient and fast. We usually take on average fifteen days to build a feature and deploy it in DevOps.

We both have an in-house team and partners that take care of the implementation of Microsoft Visual Studio.

I've seen ROI from Microsoft Visual Studio.

The development license for Microsoft Visual Studio is free. I don't know if there's a licensing cost to it.

We evaluated Eclipse and also used other tools, but Microsoft Visual Studio is good.

What other advice do I have?

My company has been using Microsoft Visual Studio for development purposes, particularly Microsoft Visual Studio for .NET development.

I would highly recommend Microsoft Visual Studio to others looking into implementing it. I would also advise that it has some learning curve to use, in particular, people need the technical skill to use the tool properly.

My rating for Microsoft Visual Studio is eight out of ten.

Vishal Paliwal - PeerSpot reviewer
    Xamarin Developer at Cognizant
    Easy to understand, simple to implement, and easy to expand
    • "We have no issues with scaling."
    • "Every time it updates, there are issues."

What is our primary use case?

I'm using Visual Studio 2022 on a MacBook.

What is most valuable?

The installation process is not difficult.

It's good overall.

The solution is stable.

We have no issues with scaling.

What needs improvement?

I don't know what area needs to be better.

Every time it updates, there are issues. It alerts to an exception and then quits. They need to improve that aspect.

We would like a .NET core API. Currently, Visual Studio is using a .NET core six version.

I've been using the solution for around four years.

It's a stable solution. There are no bugs. It works well.

The solution can scale as needed.

We have around 5,000 people on it. Typically, they are developers.

The solution itself is good. We don't have issues. I've never had to contact support.

I have had to contact the Microsoft team due to some items surrounding the Xamarin platform, however.

We chose Microsoft Visual Studio due to the fact that it's a .NET part for developing applications and contains many more things like C#, a mobile application for Xamarin, and MBC, et cetera. That's why many people are using it. I can't speak to what was used before.

It's very simple to install the solution. First, you need to install it, then, we need to install Xcode for iOS and Android SDK for Android. We need to install the Xamarin profiler when using Visual Studio as well.

It's a big file that you need to download during installation. For Android and iOS, it's something like a 20GB file that needs to be downloaded. Visual Studio is not more than 3GB to 4GB to set up, however, Android SDK is a very big file, which is why it's more than 15GB.

I don't deal with the licensing aspects of the product. I'm not sure how much we pay.

What other advice do I have?

Currently, I'm using Visual Studio version 2022.

I'd recommend the solution to others. It's a great product.

It's very easy to understand and develop the application.

I'd rate it an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud