Microsoft Exchange OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Exchange is the #1 ranked solution in top Email Applications, #1 ranked solution in top Wireless Email tools, and #2 ranked solution in top File Archiving tools. PeerSpot users give Microsoft Exchange an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. Microsoft Exchange is most commonly compared to Zimbra Collaboration: Microsoft Exchange vs Zimbra Collaboration. Microsoft Exchange is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 53% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 22% of all views.
Microsoft Exchange Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Exchange Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Microsoft Exchange?
Built to deliver the enterprise-grade security and reliability that businesses require, Microsoft Exchange provides email, calendar and contacts on your PC, phone and web browser.

Microsoft Exchange was previously known as Exchange, MS Exchange.

Microsoft Exchange Customers
Paderborn-Lippstadt Airport, Scitec Nutrition, British Airways, InnoGames, Osteology Foundation, Franz Haniel & Cie. GmbH, NTC Contracting
Microsoft Exchange Video

Archived Microsoft Exchange Reviews (more than two years old)

Muhammad Shoaib Bhatti - PeerSpot reviewer
CTO at Hybrid Tech
Reseller
Subscription-based pricing that you can budget, and it is both stable and scalable
  • "Customers can benefit from this new pricing model because it's expensive and now with the subscription they can budget for this."
  • "The pricing could be better, and it could have an easier implementation."

What is our primary use case?

I am a reseller of Microsoft products.

The primary use case of this solution is for email communication.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be better, and it could have an easier implementation.

I have been selling Microsoft Exchange for approximately 12 years.

We sell various versions, it depends on the current market.

It's a stable product.

Microsoft Exchange
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Exchange. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
656,862 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's a scalable solution. There are approximately 100 people using this product.

90% of our customers are using it, whereas 10% are using other solutions.

We plan to continue selling this product.

Depending on the customer's requirements, it could be easy to install or it can be very complex.

If it's a new, fresh deployment, then it's very easy.

When migrating, we have to follow the restrictions of Microsoft and sometimes it can be really complex. It depends on customer scenarios.

We have a technical team who are certified with Microsoft, for deployment, migrations, maintenance, and support.

It's a little bit expensive.

Microsoft is now introducing a new pricing model which is subscription-based. Previously, it was a one-time purchase and you could use it until the product came to the end of life. Now it's subscription-based and you can use the subscription yearly.

Customers can benefit from this new pricing model because it's expensive, and now with the subscription, they can budget for this.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I can recommend to others.

I would rate Microsoft Exchange a nine out of ten.

BrianSvendsen - PeerSpot reviewer
Controls Engineer at C-Tech Controls
Easy to set up but doesn't work very well on a virtual machine

What is our primary use case?

We use it just for email.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to set up.

What needs improvement?

It doesn't work very well on a virtual machine. We had to move it around. There are also issues when you try to move it between computers.

I have been using Microsoft Exchange for around ten years.

Its stability is not so great. We can't move mailboxes because of a corrupt file or random issues, which causes headaches.

We didn't have any need to scale it. We have got the same number of people in our company. We have 20 users at the moment. They are accountants and engineers at the job sites.

We don't really use them. We use a local IT company for any major issue.

We've had the same solution for a long time.

The setup program is straightforward, but there are hiccups when you try to move it between computers. You come across different issues.

Its price is okay.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Microsoft Exchange a seven out of ten.

Microsoft Exchange
November 2022
656,862 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IT Infrastructure Engineer at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good technical support, simple to set up, and easy to scale

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is for email and communication. We also implement this product for our customers.

What needs improvement?

In the version we have, I would like to see better communication between the end device and the Exchange server.

We have been using Microsoft Exchange for the last 15 years.

We use Exchange on a daily basis and most of the time, it is stable.

Exchange is very easy to scale and we have approximately 1,000 users.

If we have an issue where a support ticket is escalated to level three then we will contact the vendor. The technical support is good and we haven't had any issues.

I have not personally worked with other similar solutions.

The initial setup is very simple.

We are a partner and deploy this product on our own. There is four or five staff who are system administrators.

We provide level one and level two technical support for our customers.

With respect to pricing, this product is somewhere in the middle. Everything is included in the standard licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product but our version is reaching end-of-life. I would recommend using the most recent version of Exchange.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Project Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Well integrated with other Microsoft products

What is most valuable?

It is very well integrated with other Microsoft programs, teams, and so on. They work well together.

What needs improvement?

It's not always the finest solution in terms of integration with products that are not from Microsoft. It integrates very well with Microsoft products but not with third-party products.

I have been using Microsoft Exchange for approximately five years.

It is stable.

It is scalable. Around 100 users in our company are using it.

I don't have any experience with technical support.

It was easy to set it up.

It's working very well. There is no problem, but the price is not the best.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good product. Only the price and integration can be improved.

I would rate Microsoft Exchange a nine out of ten.

Owner at a security firm with 1-10 employees
A reliable tool for archiving and organizing a large database
  • "Now, we manage to serve almost 99% of the information."
  • "When we started using Exchange on the cloud, we had a lot of initial problems relating to our main database and we also experienced issues with the accidental deletion of inboxes, amongst other things. In fact, many of the files we had moved to the cloud had disappeared. There also seems to be a problem with the retention of information."

What is our primary use case?

We mostly used Exchange for sending emails and for document management. We also used Exchange to get information from a user's profile but we didn't use Exchange for filing.

What is most valuable?

Personally, I'd say Outlook is a good feature. We used it for scheduling appointments, for storage and archiving, so we could easily find old mail and documents, even ECF documents. A lot of people like using Outlook as a personal archive.

What needs improvement?

When we started using Exchange on the cloud, we had a lot of initial problems relating to our main database and we also experienced issues with the accidental deletion of inboxes, amongst other things. In fact, many of the files we had moved to the cloud had disappeared. There also seems to be a problem with the retention of information. For example, if you delete something, you may have a problem restoring the entirety of the inbox, so if somebody leaves and you want to backup your data, you need to download it to your local servers. This is a big area for improvement.

Currently, we are using Office 365, but we used Exchange for more than 20 years.

As I mentioned earlier, we have a very big database which can lead to some problems. Due to the algorithm, we tend to experience a lot of issues restoring and fixing problems. For example, we would have to retrieve all of the mail from our database and load it into a new database. We only had that problem in the beginning because of the algorithm, not because of Exchange. Now, we manage to serve almost 99% of the information.

We get our support through a third party. We have an Enterprise Agreement with Microsft but we don't receive customer service directly from them. Our third party company receives support from Microsoft, and when we have a problem, we deal with them; however, I've only used them once or twice. Other than that, my own systems engineer solves our problems.

As we had more than 40 users, we had four or five people who handled maintenance.

The initial setup was complex. When we set up Exchange on one server, it was very simple. Keep in mind, you need to be an expert to install the Exchange server because of all of the connections, the TLS-ing, connecting to the internet and ISP; it just wasn't simple at all.

Microsoft may tell you that deployment is as easy as " a click of the mouse", but this is not the case.

If done at the same time, deployment takes roughly five hours. After that, if we are migrating from an older version of Exchange to a newer version, it takes a very long time. In other words, migration takes much, much longer than the initial installation, which takes roughly four to five hours. When it's working, it's very stable; however, this was not the case 15 years ago, but in the last 10 years, it's been okay. When we experience a problem, it is strictly due to the algorithm.

What other advice do I have?

It depends on what the user's needs are. A lot of people can now use Gmail or they can use Exchange on Office 365 with a license, there are a lot more options available nowadays. If you're thinking about installing Exchange on-premise, on behalf of a client, a lot of people have now moved to the cloud, to Azure or something similar. If a client asked me to purchase a 365 license, including the Exchange server, I might decline. If they want to hold meetings or something similar, I'd suggest that they use a professional service like Gmail for businesses. It's a much cheaper option because a lot of people that work with Microsoft office end up buying one or two 365 licenses which include Exchange, so they use it.

Because I have a lot of experience using Exchange, I would rate it between eight and nine out of ten. It's not a perfect ten, but for our purposes, it was perfect.

Research Analyst at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    MSP
    Quite stable, with an easy setup, and works well overall
    • "It's so much of a part of what I do every day that I don't give it a lot of thought. It just works, for the most part, until it doesn't, in which case I call tech support."
    • "Exchange can be a little finicky, sometimes, or flakey. Last week, for example, I had gone into my calendar to check on some briefings that I had established, and then went back into my inbox, and suddenly the view had changed. I had no idea what it was that I had done, and I couldn't figure out how to get that view back. I took a productivity hit as a result of that, trying to fix it, due to the fact that it just wasn't what I wanted. It wasn't what I was used to working with. Two different tech support people had to work with me in order to get the view back to what I wanted just so I could be productive."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for work email.

What is most valuable?

It's so much of a part of what I do every day that I don't give it a lot of thought. It just works, for the most part, until it doesn't, in which case I call tech support.

What needs improvement?

Exchange can be a little finicky, sometimes, or flakey. Last week, for example, I had gone into my calendar to check on some briefings that I had established, and then went back into my inbox, and suddenly the view had changed. I had no idea what it was that I had done, and I couldn't figure out how to get that view back. I took a productivity hit as a result of that, trying to fix it, due to the fact that it just wasn't what I wanted. It wasn't what I was used to working with. Two different tech support people had to work with me in order to get the view back to what I wanted just so I could be productive.

The fact that I messed around trying to get that view back, and could not figure it out for myself, and it took two different tech support people to help me get back to what I had before, is an area of improvement. I have no idea what it was that I did that caused the view to change. All I was doing is going from the calendar back to the inbox, and it was somehow different. It may have been a UI bug. I'm unsure.

The second tech person that was working with me to try to get the view back the way I wanted it, told me one time his cat walked across his keyboard and it totally screwed things up for him. He had no idea what had happened, and he had to go back and re-set up a lot of configurations. That tells me there must be something wrong in the design, if small things can happen to set it off like that.

I've probably been using the solution, on different jobs, for about 20 years at this point.

I believe the solution is quite stable.  I don't recall it crashing on me, for example. That would be a big, "Oh my God, what do I do?" situation due to the fact that I rely on it so heavily. It's a workhorse for me.

Just that fluke occurrence recently around the views changing, and how the information was presented in the inbox, that's maybe a stability issue as well as a UI issue.

Everybody in our company uses the solution, however, we're pretty small. There are only 20 of us. I'm not sure how it scales, as we wouldn't need it to.

I don't work with Microsoft Exchange for technical support. I worked with a company that does tech support for us. In terms of judging Microsoft's services, I wouldn't be able to give any feedback.

I don't recall the initial setup being complex. When I joined this company three years ago, the tech support folks set it all up and I don't remember it being particularly painful.

I have no idea what the licensing costs are on the solution.

What other advice do I have?

I'm unsure as to which version of the solution I'm working with at this time.

I've been using Exchange forever as an end-user, however, I don't know much about the technical aspects of it. I just use it a lot. For me, it's always worked quite well, and because of that, I haven't' given anything about it much thought.

When it works, it's a beautiful thing. When it doesn't, you want to tear your hair out. Sometimes that's the price that we pay for the automation that we get.

I'd rate the solution overall eight out of ten.

Technology, Infrastructure, Riset & Development Staff with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It is a product that is simple to manage, and easy to use.

What is our primary use case?

This solution helps us collaborate with other members of the organization.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps us with basic needs such as email. It is also extremely helpful for us to collaborate with other Microsoft products such as: Office and Active Directory.

What needs improvement?

I think that improvements should be made in creating greater abilities for Microsoft Exchange in terms of Reasearch and Development.

More than five years.

What other advice do I have?

It is a product that is simple to manage, and easy to use.

Fazal Ur Rehman Shah - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Consultant/Project Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    The access by any user with mobile or laptop is a huge selling point.
    • "It is easy to use and we can allow many users because now our users are scattered They over a wide area. We can use it from anywhere. That is the main benefit for us."
    • "In terms of probability, every now and then there are changes coming and going. The changes are not that frequent because every month they got updates back, so that is an issue."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is sending and responding to email.

How has it helped my organization?

Our primary use is protection of email. Email is the primary mode of communication. With Exchange, the user can access it anywhere on mobile or laptop. It becomes easy for them to communicate with their vendors and consumers. So that is why we chose Exchange.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use and we can allow many users because now our users are scattered  They over a wide area. We can use it from anywhere. That is the main benefit for us.

Three to five years.

We always have a higher variability configuration ready and we've got two mailbox servers, so even if one goes down, we can use it, we can still access our mail. As far as variability in internet we've never had any major issues.

We have not had scalability concerns. We had already planned for scalability and everything, and when we started we were only ten user accounts but we got thousand users so we planned for a thousand users so we never had any issue. We still have room for expansion so it's not an issue for us.

We previously used Google gmail. But,we have a lot of expertise with Exchange. And the thing with Google, or any dormant solution, is that we are a semi-dormant algorithm and we can't have our data out on the cloud.

It was a straightforward implementation. We just had five or six servers off Exchange and never had any issues. It was a very straightforward thing for us, we just made sure that we found it well and we went by the phases and a small issues moving from the old version of Exchange to the new version of Exchange, but it was small DNA. No major issues along the way.

What other advice do I have?

VNA redundancy has grown in the data, VNA data variability has grown, even in case VNA found the server goes down, and users can still access their email. So basically everything is good. The feature VNA almost as good as having your own Outlook, although it's better VNA.

Systems Developer with 1-10 employees
    It integrates well with calendar and scheduling, it's easy for employees to plan agendas
    • "It integrates well with calendar, scheduling, etc. It's easy for employees to make meetings and plan their agendas."
    • "Deployment should become a bit easier, the process is a bit complicated. You have to have done it one or two times before you get it right. The first time you do it, it won't be perfect. There are a lot of complications compared to Gmail For Business, which is a bit easier when it comes to configuration."

How has it helped my organization?

It helps because it's easier for the employees to exchange emails. Instead of their using their personal emails, at least now they are using the company email.

What is most valuable?

One thing I like about it is the support. Microsoft is very good at providing support. I also like that it integrates well with calendar, scheduling, etc. It's easy for employees to make meetings and plan their agendas.

What needs improvement?

It requires a lot of maintenance. I think the cloud solution would be better and easier to manage as well.

Deployment should become a bit easier, the process is a bit complicated. You have to have done it one or two times before you get it right. The first time you do it, it won't be perfect. There are a lot of complications compared to Gmail For Business, which is a bit easier when it comes to configuration.

It is very stable. But at certain times you find that fixes and patches which they release can mess things up. But so far, I haven't come across any major issue.

The support is there with the number of people using it. It's very easy to get solutions when you're stuck. Somewhere, someone is going through the same problems. They're willing to help you with the solution.

At the time I joined the organization, they didn't have an email solution in-house. Employees were using their personal emails. Some of were using Yahoo!, some were using Gmail. If someone left the company, they would take with them the emails they had received from clients. We needed an in-house email solution like Exchange so that if someone leaves we are able to keep the emails.

To me, the most important criteria when selecting a vendor are maintenance and support. Features also matter. Then I look at the pricing. Is it too costly, is the organization going to be able to afford it? So cost plays a major role. When I go to the Director and say I want to buy this solution, the main thing he will look at is the pricing. He will ask, "Why are you getting these features, it's very expensive. Why aren't you going with this other option, it's cheaper?" But again, if the support is great and the pricing is a bit higher it's worth it.

The installation was simple and straightforward. We didn't have any hiccups. It went fine.

They are flexible when it comes to pricing, unlike most of the other vendors I have dealt with.

What other advice do I have?

If you don't really mind the cost then go for Microsoft. You can never go wrong with them, their solutions are very good. They're stable. They're all tested, so when you start you know it has already been tested. There are many people using it, it's comfortable, it's stable. You won't have any hiccups. I would recommend it.

One thing I've been doing is, before I deploy it to a production environment, I always create a "lab" where I try it out and make sure everything is working properly.

Engineer with 501-1,000 employees
    We have customized the tool for our company, utilizing it for managing meetings and conference rooms. Tech support is just average for it.

What is most valuable?

EWS support, through which I have customized, e.g., response for my device to display meeting info on device.

How has it helped my organization?

Using EWS support, we have created a custom UI to display meeting info on our local portal to utilize and manage meeting and conference rooms effectively.

What needs improvement?

It is overall all good, though technical support is just average.

Two and a half years. Currently, I am not working in the specific project. so I am not using it, but the company is using it.

Just average.

Previously used Lotus Domino and moved to this box of support. We switched because of the help that we easily get from it.

Not applicable.

Not put on the team managing this.

it_user397617 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Manager of Infrastructure at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The Exchange Toolbox comes with many useful tools for exchange administrators including Message Tracking, Tracking Log Explorer, and many more.

Valuable Features:

The mobile version of exchange keeps getting better as the product develops and synchronizes with today's latest mobile hardware. Security wise this gives local administrators control over these devices if stolen or lost.

The Exchange Toolbox comes with many useful tools for exchange administrators including Message Tracking, Tracking Log Explorer, and many more. Exchange really shines by allowing third party apps to manage and integrate with many software's geared towards the Outlook environment.

Exchange is an ever growing environment that will always have stronghold in the world of communicating and organizing information that is reliable.

Improvements to My Organization:

I would have to say the biggest improvement is communication. Communication is a big factor in any business. Email allows us to have history on communication and real time communications. Shared calendars are a great way to reserve rooms and share your meetings with team members. Distribution groups are becoming more popular for group communication. Outlook/Exchange creates a very open environment for communications and archiving information when needed. Exchange is a ever growing application that will only get better over time and will evolve and adapt to our everyday communications needs now and in the future.

Room for Improvement:

The issue with Exchange has always been storage. Users by nature do not like to delete anything and it shows. So we have to create local polices to counter this issue and possibly 3rd party software to properly manage archiving for the users. We also are looking into upgrading the Exchange environment in 2016/2017. This would be an improvement overall as Microsoft latest release was in 2013 and we are still on version 2010. This would also give our environment improvement as we are building a new Exchange environment from scratch with a Microsoft partner.

Deployment Issues:

We've had no issues deploying it.

Stability Issues:

We've had no issues with stability.

Scalability Issues:

We've had no issues with scalability.

Engineer at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
    Exchange 2010: Feature Rich Product Pro High Availability: DAG provides high...

Exchange 2010: Feature Rich Product

Pros
    High Availability:
    DAG provides high availability within same datacenter as well as across datacenters.
    Reduced IOPS requirement:
    With 70% reduction in IOPS requirement, it gives an option to go for less expensive storage solutions.

Cons
    Customers upgrading from exchange 2003 need to invest more since it is supported only on x64 hardware.
    Little bit complex to design. Specifically larger environments.

Exchange 2010 will be preffered solution for customers with large number of mailboxes due to its robust design and high availability features

it_user3870 - PeerSpot reviewer
    it_user3870Senior Manager of Engineering with 1,001-5,000 employees

Hi Alin

Always avoid 32bit hard ware while running production servers - you never know how much resources you're going to need!

Like Jas said only you should only install Exchange management tools on a 32 bit machine so you can remotely manage your infrastructure - also a 32 bit machine is needed when it comes to exporting mailboxes directly from an exchange database using EMC.

A big problem I faced was when we decided to expand a DAG over two datacenters - Microsoft did not want to support our config because a 1Gigabit port connection is required for a DAG setup, so it was a very difficult choice - however we still went for it and not had any issues so far...

A quick note - also always avoid having a database larger than 1 TB (Enterprise Version) in a DAG - use smaller databases instead.

Wissam

Download our free Microsoft Exchange Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022