We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Backup Administrator Individual Contributor at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
An automated backup and recovery software with an easily manageable file system backup, but the scheduler setup could be better
  • "The normal file system backup is easy to manage, and our success rate is quite high."
  • "The scheduler setup could be better. We are facing some issues scheduling the job based on our requirements."

What is our primary use case?

We use Micro Focus Data Protector to back up all our infra servers, plus file share and some VM backup.

What is most valuable?

The normal file system backup is easy to manage, and our success rate is quite high.

What needs improvement?

The scheduler setup could be better. We are facing some issues scheduling the job based on our requirements. Furthermore, if we want to change something, we have to run it through all the policies one by one. They don't have a central place to modify and apply it to all the policies. The virtual environment backup could also be better.

I have been using Micro Focus Data Protector for four years.

It's a stable solution, but every upgrade is such a headache. For example, we currently have to upgrade to a new version, but somehow the connection to storage isn't happening because there are issues with the library.

Micro Focus Data Protector is scalable. It's quite simple as we can just add on more media to fulfill all the requirements. Right now, a few thousand people use this solution in our organization.

We had a few cases through email, but one pain point is that they always go through to level one, go to level two, and so on. They spend a lot of time explaining what's going on before the problem is solved.

Previously, we used Veritas Backup Exec. So, compared to Veritas Backup Execs, it's a little bit cheaper.

The initial setup is quite straightforward, like Master Media Server.

Our licensing is on a capacity basis.

What other advice do I have?

I wouldn't recommend Micro Focus Data Protector to be used as a cloud backup. But for on-premise and file share use, it's quite okay.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Micro Focus Data Protector a seven.

Sr. Manager - IT Systems at a transportation company with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to use and scalable with a straightforward setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a backup. It basically backs up all of my premium items.

What is most valuable?

It's a good product that's pretty easy to use. The solution is scalable.  The initial setup is rather straightforward.

What needs improvement?

It would be ideal if they could improve their level of support.

We've been using the solution for eight years or so. It's been a while.

The product is scalable. If a company wants to expand it, it can do so. It's not a problem.  We have less than 100 people on the solution right now.

The level of support is lacking. They need to step up the…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

It's a good product that's pretty easy to use.

The solution is scalable.

The initial setup is rather straightforward.

What needs improvement?

It would be ideal if they could improve their level of support.

We've been using the solution for eight years or so. It's been a while.

We have less than 100 people on the solution right now.

The level of support is lacking. They need to step up the level of service they offer. We aren't 100% satisfied. They are friendly, however, they aren't really flexible.

The installation is pretty straightforward and simple. It's not too complex or overly difficult. A company wouldn't have any trouble setting it up.

The deployment is fast and likely you can have it up and running in a day.

You don't need a big technical team to handle deployment and maintenance. You might just need two people who are engineers.

I handled the implementation by myself. I did not need the help of any integrators or consultants at the time.

The product is reasonably priced. It's not too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We're currently using version 10 of the solution.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. It's pretty good.

I'd recommend the solution to others.

Learn what your peers think about Micro Focus Data Protector. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,143 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Engineer at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
We use it to back up to VTLs without any problem
  • "Micro Focus Data Protector's most valuable feature is its interaction with the fiber share. It is easy to use, we use it to back up without any problem to VTLs, and can use the Fiber Channel that is still the TCP."
  • "In terms of what can be improved, I would say integrations with MongoDB. We use MongoDB and we need to go to scripts to do backups. We need more integrations."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to back up databases, file systems, servers and information in the database.

What is most valuable?

Micro Focus Data Protector's most valuable feature is its interaction with the fiber share. It is easy to use, we use it to back up without any problem to VTLs, and can use the Fiber Channel that is still the TCP.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what can be improved, I would say integrations with MongoDB. We use MongoDB and we need to go to scripts to do backups. We need more integrations.

The feature I would like to see in the next release is only more integration with new databases.

I have been using Micro Focus Data Protector for about 20 years.

We are currently using the latest update in some platforms. We are using version 10.

Its performance and stability are okay.

In terms of maintenance, we only need to do updates when we receive information. Not more than.

Micro Focus Data Protector is an easily scalable solution.

We have six people in my company using it.

The initial setup was simple for me because I am experienced and have used Data Protector for many years. It takes one hour maximum.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Micro Focus Data Protector to other users.

On a scale of one to ten, compared with other solutions, I would give it a nine.

Operations Manager at a wholesaler/distributor with 1-10 employees
Easy to use, stable, and provides heterogeneous protection

What is our primary use case?

The solution is used in protection across a heterogeneous computing environment.

What is most valuable?

What I like the most about this solution is that I can change and access the Oracle file.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a better user interface in the next release.

I have used the solution for 20 years.

In my experience, I found the solution to be stable.

The solution is scalable. There are approximately 10 users using it in my organization.

Since I am using the solution as a trainer, I have not used any technical support. …

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a better user interface in the next release.

I have used the solution for 20 years.

In my experience, I found the solution to be stable.

I have used StorONE solution before.

I have installed the solution myself. It was easy and took approximately 40 minutes.

There is one administrator necessary for the deployment of the solution.

The solution requires paying for a license.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the solution to others.

I rate Micro Focus Data Protector an eight out of ten.

Senior IT Manager with 501-1,000 employees
Reliably backs up data and files in our diverse environment

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution to back up our data from SAP HANA and Microsoft applications. We also use it to back up our domain and file servers.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the capability to back up our SQL server. We also use this product to back up our Linux file system.

What needs improvement?

The interface has been the same for many years and needs to be updated. The dashboard has changed, but that only deals with part of the backup process.

We have been using Micro Focus Data Protector for 15 years.

We haven't had any issues with respect to stability.

The…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the capability to back up our SQL server.

We also use this product to back up our Linux file system.

What needs improvement?

We have been using Micro Focus Data Protector for 15 years.

We haven't had any issues with respect to stability.

The scalability is very nice.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good product and it hasn't given us any problems.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Nicco Putra
Alliance Manager at Berca Hardaya Perkasa
Easy setup but lacks compatibility and scalability

What needs improvement?

This product needs a lot of improvement both on the technical side and in its pricing and compatibility.

This solution is not scalable.

I don't think this product has a good support center.

The initial setup was relatively easy.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution as five out of ten.

What needs improvement?

This solution is not scalable.

I don't think this product has a good support center.

The initial setup was relatively easy.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution as five out of ten.

Download our free Micro Focus Data Protector Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.