Meraki Dashboard OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Meraki Dashboard is the #9 ranked solution in best Network Monitoring Tools. PeerSpot users give Meraki Dashboard an average rating of 8.8 out of 10. Meraki Dashboard is most commonly compared to ThousandEyes: Meraki Dashboard vs ThousandEyes. Meraki Dashboard is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 58% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 19% of all views.
Meraki Dashboard Buyer's Guide

Download the Meraki Dashboard Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Meraki Dashboard?

The dashboard that hosts all of the information around the Meraki product data.

Meraki Dashboard Customers

Coop eG, Peet's Coffee & Tea, Priefert Manufacturing, Century Care Management, Clifton College, Zürs Ski Resort, Capital FM Arena, MAXI Autohöfe

Meraki Dashboard Video

Archived Meraki Dashboard Reviews (more than two years old)

Dipmalya Dasgupta - PeerSpot reviewer
Solution Architect- Network Infrastructure at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
A comprehensive dashboard that is simple and easy to navigate
  • "The dashboard itself is very simplified and easy to navigate."
  • "If I am a user and I have a seat on the fourth floor, if I move across the building, the system should be able to track me and should be able to figure out my whereabouts or my position within the building if I'm connected to the wireless. That would make the administrator's life easier in terms of reachability."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the dashboard functionalities.

What is most valuable?

Meraki is basically a product we sell as a dashboard. It's the best part of the solution and its greatest selling feature.

Meraki gives a very comprehensive dashboard which gives the customer a lot of flexibility in terms of understanding the exact situational position of their infrastructure and what is happening in terms of the infrastructure, or how their access points are behaving. They can also gain visibility into access points of zones.

The dashboard itself is very simplified and easy to navigate.

There is good documentation in the form of manuals.

The management is very good.It typically covers all of our client's requirements. Most of the clients are very into CSG and they are very willing to take the kind of dashboard offering Meraki has.

India is generally pro-Cisco, as far as networking is concerned, which makes the solution an easy sell. Now that the internet bandwidth has become stabilized in India, we get a lot out of the solution. That makes the cloud capabilities very attractive. With the cloud, clients can cancel at any time, and there aren't controllers on-site to worry about.

What needs improvement?

Overall, the dashboard is already quite good.

However, a few popular improvements that could be suggested include user-based tracking and user-based location tracking. If a client could add those things on, on top of whatever they're using, that would be ideal.

For example, within a building, if I am a user and I have a seat on the fourth floor, if I move across the building, the system should be able to track me and should be able to figure out my whereabouts or my position within the building if I'm connected to the wireless. That would make the administrator's life easier in terms of reachability.

There should be a certain amount of visibility in terms of security validation, or vulnerability assessment. If that can be incorporated, that would be great.

For example, in a single dashboard, you could be getting security incidents, so you could better be able to understand your readiness from the security perspective.

I've been dealing with the solution for two to two and a half years at this point.

Meraki Dashboard
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Meraki Dashboard. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
655,994 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is extremely stable. I haven't found it to be non-operational on any of my customers. It's reliable. It doesn't crash or freeze. There are no bugs.

As far as scalability is concerned it's simply all about putting additional licenses and adding more number of access points. It's quite scalable, and it's very easy to expand the offering.

The dashboard won't change. The look and feel will remain the same. It's only the number of users and the number of access points that will be added under the same dashboard.

From a scalability perspective or from a manageability perspective, Meraki has a great amount of potential.

In terms of technical support feedback, I won't be able to comment on anything as I am not from an implementation team. This work is being handled by my implementation team, and, since I don't assist in that respect, I've never dealt with technical support directly.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It's not very complex.

In terms of the length of time it takes, I won't be able to comment on the deployment part, as it's not something I handle personally. What I've heard from my implementation team is that the time compared to any other on-prem solution is pretty fast. It's really about the access points and having them share a little bit of the cloud. You can simply have a plugin-based kind of deployment scenario as well. It's not hard.

Of course, there are obviously security policies that come into play as well. That has to be done regardless of if it is on-premises or not. Security items can be complicated. That said, our team considers the setup to be easy. It's simple and fast to deploy overall.

We handle the implementation for our clients.

What other advice do I have?

We are Cisco partners. We deal with a variety of Cisco products in their rather large portfolio.

We tend to observe whatever is required for the client's environment and we do ensure we take care of all those requirements. Our approach is all client-driven. Based on that, we tend to work with different versions. Most of the customers want to go with the latest version.

I would definitely recommend the solution.

From what I have seen in the last couple of years there's a trend towards the cloud market in India (apart from a few governments). In India, we have a government regulation that if you want to have your data on the cloud, then you have to meet certain compliances and you have to have data held centrally in India only. There are lots of challenges in government cloud operations.

Apart from the government, whether it's a large, small or medium-sized enterprise, this solution would work well. They will find a lot of value in having a Meraki solution in their company. I have noticed that most of the customers moving to a cloud-based situation generally prefer Meraki over any other brands.

Overall, I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Owner at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
It is very easy to manage and has good security
  • "It is very easy to manage. It has good security, and it is working well with our firewall."
  • "There is a bit of a problem when you try to log in and you don't have a fixed IP address. If you're granting access, you need to log in by using the IP address. If your administrator's IP address is not a fixed IP address and it has changed, you might need to update the changed IP address in the interface. For this, you need to log in to the interface to update the IP address. This issue might not have so much to do with Meraki interface."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Meraki Dashboard to log in to the firewall and to set up the VPN, etc. Our firewall is deployed on-premises.

What is most valuable?

It is very easy to manage. It has good security, and it is working well with our firewall.

What needs improvement?

There is a bit of a problem when you try to log in and you don't have a fixed IP address.

If you're granting access, you need to log in by using the IP address. If your administrator's IP address is not a fixed IP address and it has changed, you might need to update the changed IP address in the interface. For this, you need to log in to the interface to update the IP address. This issue might not have so much to do with Meraki interface.

I have not seen any issues with its stability and scalability.

We contacted their technical support once during the initial setup. We had a couple of questions, and it was a quick call. Their technical support was fine.

We are a volunteer organization. Being a not-for-profit charity, we have a couple of companies that provide charity support to us. We also have one person who remotely provides in-house support.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product. I would rate Meraki Dashboard a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
Meraki Dashboard
November 2022
655,994 professionals have used our research since 2012.
REZA JOSEPH - PeerSpot reviewer
Solutions Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
A secure solution with simple navigation and layer 7 visibility
  • "The most valuable feature is its simplicity in navigating through the dashboard. It's well set out, and the layout is nice and user friendly. A lot of clients enjoy seeing layer 7 visibility. They get a good indication and insight into what is happening in their network and what applications are being used the most. They can then customize and give preference to business-critical applications."
  • "They can improve the landing page in Meraki Dashboard. When I go into an organization, they can include a lot more infographics. They can also simplify it a bit and consolidate it. For example, if I've got five branches and I go into customer A's profile or organization, I'd like to see an infographic on the landing page providing a snippet of the entire network layout, that is, all branches in one snapshot. From there, I would like to go into the network that I want to work on or view."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is its simplicity in navigating through the dashboard. It's well set out, and the layout is nice and user friendly.

A lot of clients enjoy seeing layer 7 visibility. They get a good indication and insight into what is happening in their network and what applications are being used the most. They can then customize and give preference to business-critical applications.

What needs improvement?

They can improve the landing page in Meraki Dashboard. When I go into an organization, they can include a lot more infographics. They can also simplify it a bit and consolidate it. For example, if I've got five branches and I go into customer A's profile or organization, I'd like to see an infographic on the landing page providing a snippet of the entire network layout, that is, all branches in one snapshot. From there, I would like to go into the network that I want to work on or view.

I have been using Meraki Dashboard for two years.

It is 100% stable. Once we deploy it, we very rarely have any comebacks.

I'm happy with its scalability.

I only have experience of dialing into Meraki technical support. They were very good.

I don't typically work with this solution. Just from my previous experience, it is fairly simple to set up. I don't think there are any issues.

Deployment duration depends on the complexity. It can take two to three days for complex deployments. It can take a couple of hours for simple deployments.

Typically, the license model is for one, three, and five years. They can just be a bit more flexible around it and look into providing an option for 24 months.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for a secure and simple solution, I would highly recommend it.

I would rate Meraki Dashboard an eight out of ten.

Adm. Director at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Easy to use, stable, and a quality support team

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for managing our Meraki devices.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is ease of use.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup is complex and can be made more straightforward.

The scalability can be improved.

I have been using the Meraki Dashboard for between three and five years.

I've found this product to be quite stable.

I was having issues and technical support was able to help solve them, so they have quality support.

The initial setup is somewhat complex.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I can recommend.

Hybrid Cloud
IanMacfarlane - PeerSpot reviewer
ITSM SME at Valencia Advisors IIP
Centralized dashboard management for all devices on your network that is easy-to-use
  • "The ease-of-use and the analytics are really effective tools."
  • "The product is missing a VPN and it is a major issue when it comes to deployment."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is to have centralized control over all the Meraki devices and services on your network. Primarily I use it for security configuration and reporting.

How has it helped my organization?

Very intuitive, complete overview of entire network including branch offices. Ability to drill down into events and alerts and lookup in the knowledge-base. Create tickets and track them.

What is most valuable?

I think that the most valuable part about the dashboard is the analytics. A firm that I was doing some IT consulting work for was hit with a ransomware attack and this thing was amazing. After we got things cleaned up, we found that the actors had some IP numbers somewhere on the West Coast. They started to try to get back into the network and Meraki was there to say, "You know what? This same malicious IP number is knocking at your door again." We were able to take care of that and block them off so they could not access the network and that problem was put to rest.

What needs improvement?

The biggest problem is the absence of a VPN client like AnyConnect with the device. The Meraki rep that I dealt with actually agreed. He said a lot of people are complaining about the fact that they had to work with a separate VPN.

Here is the problem. Let's say you have got to deploy and install a VPN client on 50 workstations. You physically have to go to every one of the 50 workstations and do the VPN deployment manually. You can not just push it out through an email or a group policy. That means you have to touch every machine and configure it based on the type of network card it has and make a whole bunch of other settings.

Manually deploying the VPN is about a 20-minute procedure and that is after you learn how to do it. By comparison, if I wanted to roll out 1000 VPN clients with a normal Cisco device, the Cisco AnyConnect software can be just pushed out with some easy instructions and away you go.

I think the VPN client is really the only true issue I had with the product itself. The connection that I get from home is sometimes a little shaky when I have to use it remotely, but it is impossible to put the blame on that connection as due to Meraki.

I have been using this product for about a year.

We never had any issues at all with the stability of Meraki. It is self-healing. If the power goes out or whatever, it is very good at handling that kind of issue. It is easy to learn, easy to read the reports, and it is easy to use the dashboard.

I had worked with Fortinet and some other firewalls — Linksys of course, going all the way back to the old WatchGuard. I think Meraki really kicked off the whole cloud-based managed device movement and everyone else is just hopping on to do the same kind of thing. SonicWall and Fortinet and all the other newer competitors just followed along when they figured it was something valuable. If Meraki could get their VPN sorted out, I think they would have themselves a flagship product that was really the leader of the pack.

I have not really had the opportunity to test the scalability first-hand. We were are a small office, so I never really got a chance to try and add hundreds of users. If that had been the case, Meraki probably would have suggested that we go to the next model up because we needed a more robust system.

The configuration of the VPN between branche offices was wonderful. You just click on the address and it basically does everything itself. For a non-engineer type person, pretty much anybody in IT can configure these things once you do the webinar. It is easy and intuitive and as far as I have been able to work with the scalability, I think a lot of the product.

When I did get to engage the technical support people at Meraki, I would give them a 10-out-of-10. The technical support was great.

I have been working with firewalls for a long time. I worked with the Cisco 5500 series. I worked with a lot of their older stuff back in the day. Mostly my job for the previous 10 years was not to be the supplier and was not the implementer. Rather I was more of a consultant, so I never really had the opportunity to get the hands-on experience I have now.

The setup had a few different stages to take care of. The first step was to create a VPN, a branch office connection, and then a better sister location. I bought another MX to act as a backup, so we had that configured as a hot spot or a failover. Then I configured the VPN so that users would be able to work from home. That VPN configuration is probably the one thing that I did not much like about the product. It almost makes no sense that it does not have its own VPN client. You have to use the Microsoft VPN client, which is a bit of a pain. If it has to be that way there surely has to be a better way to integrate it.

With the main Cisco stuff, you just download the VPN client and it has got your anti-virus component and your VPN client. That is just not the case with Meraki. I know they have been talking about trying to work that out and get that installed. Right now it is a sorta major glitching point.

I did not configure the product originally. Somebody else did it and they did not configure it very well. For example, there is a feature to protect against ransomware and that feature was not even turned on in the device. After I realized it was not working optimally, I got together with the Meraki folks and they got in there and reconfigured it. It became a true AI device at that point. There were really a lot of things wrong with the initial configuration, but that ransomware piece was a pretty major feature to miss.

After Meraki helped me reconfigure everything, I felt much more comfortable after that. It was done by one of their resellers and I guess I should have gone that way out of the gate.

For a small MX 64, it is maybe $300 to $400 a year. It is nothing really outrageous. I was originally put off that you had to pay for a subscription, but I am a veteran thinking back 10 years ago when there was no such thing as subscriptions. Now just about everything seems to be going that route.

I could see a firewall device and that is sort of comforting. I do not agree with the solution being like a switch and virtually invisible. Like you could have a switch-up in the ceiling somewhere that nobody knows is there. Then all of a sudden it gets tripped and just stops working. You don't see a device go down. But again, it is not just Meraki that is going with the subscription scheme. It is also other companies like SonicWall. They are all going to subscription-based licensing.

What other advice do I have?

For small businesses, I would recommend Meraki over pretty much anything else on the market.

On a scale from one to ten where one is worst and ten is the best, I would rate Meraki Dashboard as an eight-out-of-ten.

Alexander Rauch - PeerSpot reviewer
Delivery Manager Network Services at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Great visibility on the dashboard which enables us to easily extract additional information

What is our primary use case?

Meraki is a networking device which is cloud managed. It's a kind of software defined networking device. You connect to it via the cloud and then you have some dashboard services available from the cloud provider, from Meraki. We have traditional networking devices and we use Meraki for other purposes. I'm the company manager of network services for Europe, India, and Africa and we're a customer of Meraki.

What is most valuable?

I like that there is great visibility on the dashboard and you immediately see when something is going down. If you want to dive deeper and get more details you can. Because this is a cloud solution, you have everything configured and there's nothing we really need to configure ourselves to get the information we need.

I've been using this solution for six years.

I find the solution very scalable. We have both internal and external users. Internally, we have five admins and externally we have about 1,000 users. Because it's outsourced, we probably have around 40 administrators who can log into the system, due to our 24/7 support model. We have approximately 20 locations here in Europe and Russia which are my responsibility, and there are probably maybe 200 end users behind that.

technical support? Are you satisfied? Not satisfied with anything?

Alexander: Yes, I'm satisfied.

The initial setup is very straightforward, it probably took a few hours to set up the first devices. After that it goes very quickly.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Private Cloud

Other
Danny Vergel - PeerSpot reviewer
Analista IT at Randstad
Good dashboard, security, and VPN capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We have implemented Cisco Meraki in thirty-two branch offices and our HQ.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution provides great Wi-Fi velocity, great security options, and awesome VPN velocity.

What is most valuable?

Meraki dashboard deserves an Oscar.

What needs improvement?

We would like to be able to test the health of WAN connections.

I have been using this solution for one year.
Jason Polce - PeerSpot reviewer
Practice Director Network Infrastructure at Maureen Data
Significantly reduced the time to deploy devices and has made remote troubleshooting a lot easier
  • "We've been spending a lot less time on tickets and deployments, so we have more time to do other things."
  • "Something that needs to be improved, is the fact that you if you don't renew the subscription license, it stops working. I would also like to see SSL BPM support for anything else."

What is our primary use case?

I am the Practice Director for Network Infrastructure and I primarily use this solution for edge security and WAN routing.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has improved our organization by significantly reducing the time to deploy devices, and it also made remote troubleshooting a lot easier.

What is most valuable?

The features I find most valuable are the visibility and the ease of management. I like the visibility into all the traffic, feature parity with Cisco ASA firewalls and things like that.

What needs improvement?

Something that needs to be improved, is the fact that you if you don't renew the subscription license, it stops working. I would also like to see SSL BPM support for anything else.

The solution has been very stable. We've run into very few bugs, less than on the ASA platform.

We haven't had any issues with scalability and we have multi-hundred device sites, so I believe the solution is really scalable.

The technical support has been great. Whenever you call them, they're responsive and we get an answer.

We used Cisco ASA before this and we realized that we needed better security compliance, more scalability, and some extra features. This solution now saves us time, and I like the added features that the Meraki dashboard offers. It is also consistent and very reliable.

The initial setup was pretty easy. You simply follow the menu, and it prompts you for the inputs, which is pretty straightforward.

We have seen a return on investment. We've been spending a lot less time on tickets and deployments, so we have more time to do other things.

We have a license for 5 years. I've heard that the advanced security license is a bit on the high end because it's competitive with other solutions. I believe it really depends on the bandwidth, so the bigger your platform, the more you will pay.

We looked at Cisco ASA, Cisco FTD, and Meraki Dashboard.

What other advice do I have?

My rating for this solution is 9 out of 10 because we've had success with it, very few complaints, and it works great. I think a lot of people think Meraki is more geared towards small businesses, but I would say since Cisco's acquired them, they've come a long way. It is definitely a great solution so I would suggest that others try it out.
In the next version, I would love to see remote access VPN and getting the functionality so that the ASA product line can connect.

Solutions Consultant at a comms service provider with 201-500 employees
Has an integrated firewall and an integrated wireless LAN controller in the dashboard
  • "An excellent dashboard that is currently unique in covering both SD-WAN and SD-LAN with built-in security."
  • "It is not appropriate for large, enterprise businesses."

What is our primary use case?

Cisco Meraki offers unified management of devices on a network from a centralized dashboard.

What is most valuable?

The feature that seems most valuable in Meraki is that it covers SD-WAN and also the SD-LAN. In the dashboard, it has an integrated firewall and an integrated wireless LAN controller. Those are the features that are generally most useful for the customer. But, to be honest this is a solution for only small and medium-sized business customers.

What needs improvement?

I don't think that Cisco needs or wants to improve Meraki. Meraki was acquired by Cisco, and Cisco knows exactly what they wanted from the product. This product is only fitting for small to medium business. In order to work with large corporate enterprises, they have acquired another company that will help them provide an enterprise solution. That's why they are not going to improve Meraki. If they were going to try to scale the application of Meraki to enterprise solutions it would not be a good fit.

Both of the Cisco products don't yet support layer 2 MPLS (Multi-Protocol Label Switching). The only vendor I know of today that is supporting MPLS is Nokia. None of Cisco products supporting that protocol, so I think this is a gap in Cisco products.

We have been using the Meraki solution for only about a year.

As far as scalability, the product is not very scalable. The product will only be fit to cover small to medium businesses and Cisco is not likely to improve on that scalability as they have other products in line for the larger market. If a customer has other hardware that they use which supports a large enterprise, I don't think that Meraki fits as a solution.

To be honest about the technical support, in Kuwait we deal with a Cisco distributor and not Cisco directly. If we have any issues, we contact the Cisco distributor and not Cisco directly. So the technical support is not genuine Cisco support, which has an excellent reputation.

We made the purchase through a vendor named Nordicom, and they would be the company that provides technical support. At this point, we have not had any problems that required contacting the vendor to get a solution. While I am sure that they will be competent as a Cisco vendor because it requires certification, I do not know for a fact about how good their technical support actually is.

I have worked with other products like Nuage from Nokia and I think the Meraki dashboard has a more beautiful and useful dashboard compared to other vendors. The other dashboards are more difficult than Meraki, which makes them harder to use. The Meraki dashboard is really very good. It has built-in security which is a feature that not all of the other vendors have. Because of this, other vendors have to integrate with other security vendors or products to provide a security option. Because Meraki is part of Cisco, it is integrated with some Cisco security solutions already. I feel Meraki is one of the best at what it does even if it is not fitting to large enterprises.

The setup for the product is not complex. I think it's very good.

I was working for an ISP and the ISP mentality is to manage the dashboard and installations. We don't let the customer manage the dashboard unless they have requested to do that specifically, and we do the installations.

I don't have much experience with the pricing because the financial team is responsible for that. So in terms of comparing the prices between Meraki and other solutions, I do not have direct experience and the information to do that. But I heard that Meraki is not cheap. To be fair this is only what I heard from a good source. It's not the cheapest solution, but it is a good one. I just don't know where it falls exactly in the range of competitors.

Before this, we did not evaluate other solutions because it's a new feature and functionality. Maybe we will test other products now because there are many other players in the market. Each vendor is focused on a specific category of clientele, so not all of the solutions will be appropriate for our needs. We are actually evaluating more than one vendors right now, including Meraki and Datadog.

What other advice do I have?

If a customer who is considering the use of this product is not a very large business and only has few branches, Meraki is a very good solution. For large businesses, it is not a fitting product.

Overall, I rate the product as an eight out of ten. It's a very good solution. The rating is not higher than that because I think eight is the best it can attain at this point. If they make enhancements to make it work more smoothly and add additional useful features, I would rate it higher. I'm leaving the other two points for any future improvements.

The price should be improved — lowered — as well. If it is very expensive compared to other solutions, this will be a challenge for the adoption of the product. Meraki is making a very good solution, but when comparing products, the price will matter to many potential clients. The dashboard is good, but the competing products can improve their own dashboards or make a better, more simple dashboard than the one Meraki has. It's not that big a deal to improve that feature. So if the competition has better prices, a nice dashboard, or better technologies, they will compete and maybe take market share.

As an aside, I had an interesting discussion last week with Cisco while we were evaluating their product. I told them about something that I thought should be improved about the product. They told me: "We are Cisco," meaning that they did not have to worry about improving that aspect of their product because of their popularity and brand name. They have the right to claim they are the best and they have worked to gain that reputation. Most customers know this, and they know Cisco's reputation and their name.

In the end, not all of the customers will go by the name only. Some customers will go with Cisco directly, regardless of how the product develops. But there are other products that compete and customers will discover those when doing comparisons and possibly switch if Cisco does not pay attention to the needs of the clients. For example, Fortinet has its own SD-WAN solution now. Many other players like VMware and Nokia also have their own new or emerging solutions — and they are big, well-known names, like Cisco. If, in the end, they have better solutions, the customer will use their solution instead. It is not enough just to have the name Cisco.

I am one of the people who is an advocate for Cisco solutions, but the mentality of the company being superior just because they have a name needs to change or the product development will fall behind. Because of this attitude, there is really more reason to consider other products and people will.

Network Administrator at a healthcare company with 201-500 employees
A centralized solution for our AP network, managed using a single pane of glass
  • "It can analyze the traffic that it is picking up from what may be a rogue access point, and it is able to identify those and send relevant notifications."
  • "It would be helpful to have the ability to create a floor plan based on an existing PDF or JPEG, which is automatically converted into a usable network map."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to provide Wi-Fi access within the organization.

How has it helped my organization?

Using this solution reduces the amount of time that I have to spend managing our network.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the single pane of glass. It has nice features like heat mapping and rogue AP detection. It can analyze the traffic that it is picking up from what may be a rogue access point, and it is able to identify those and send relevant notifications.

Another helpful feature is that it can dynamically change the channel that the AP is using.

What needs improvement?

The stability is very good. So far it has not gone down, and I haven't experienced any issues with it.

This is a very scalable solution. The APs are relatively lightweight, and we have many of them being managed by one controller.

I haven't yet needed to use technical support.

We were previously using prox and Wi-Fi APs. We were having all kinds of issues; there was poor visibility, and we had to log in to agents individually. Sometimes the WAN interface would just break, so you would have to reboot it then begin troubleshooting once it came back online. There was a need for a centralized solution.

The initial setup of this solution is very straightforward. You have to purchase the license for the Enterprise, and then purchase a license for each AP. Then you create a login with that license and you can build out your networks. It is easy to configure, and this includes defining your access points.

I am the only person who maintains this solution for our organization.

We used CDW to assist with our implementation and deployment, and our experience was very good.

I don't have an accurate measure for ROI, but the time savings suggests that there is something there.

The licensing fees are $180 USD, per AP, for three years. I don't recall the initial startup costs.

I did not shop around very much. I had heard about what this solution could do and choose it based on that.

What other advice do I have?

This product saves me time and I am very happy using it. It is a great product, but nothing is perfect.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Network Technician at a government with 10,001+ employees
Helps us to easily update and manage multiple devices, and simplifies creating our VPN tunnel
  • "The most valuable feature is the single pane of glass that gives you multisite visibility."
  • "The one issue that we have had is that the VPN tunnel would go down unless you worked out with the ISP that you would be using a static IP address on the WAN interface."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to create VPN tunnels between remote sites and our core.

How has it helped my organization?

It has made creating VPN tunnels between remote sites and our core a lot easier. To create a VPN we need to deal with multipoint VLANs that we have between our different sites. Using this solution has meant that we don't have to create a bunch of specific policies, such as firewall exceptions. Instead, we just have the Meraki Cloud profile set up properly.

What is most valuable?

It has the ability to push a configuration to multiple devices, or you can use the single pane of glass to login to any one of them. It saves a lot of time if you have to make a change on the fly.

What needs improvement?

The one issue that we have had is that the VPN tunnel would go down unless you worked out with the ISP that you would be using a static IP address on the WAN interface. If you're allowed to just be dynamic then whenever the port and IP changes, it will break the VPN connection and it does not always come back up. Our ISP has the dynamic IP addresses change on a cycle, so this was a problem for us.

So far, stability seems good, aside from the collapsing VPN tunnel issue that we were having due to having a dynamic IP address.

We haven't scaled the product enough to give an accurate answer, but so far it has met our needs.

We have been in contact with technical support, but I have not dealt with them personally.

Previously, for the remote VPN, we were using Aruba. There is a certain amount of complexity, and we had issues in terms of scalability. The Meraki solution was easy to use and allowed us to separate the traffic. It had to be split between our general inter-LAN that includes internet access, and data that is prioritized because it is handling 911 traffic.

The installation was pretty straightforward. I obtained my Meraki certification in one day.

We worked directly with the Meraki team.

ROI is hard to gauge because we are a Not-for-Profit organization.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to attend the Meraki classes and obtain your CMNO certification. You have to be familiar with the dashboard, the visibility, and the different products that you will be working on.

Network Support at a retailer with 5,001-10,000 employees
Enables us to see and monitor the bandwidth of all the stores easily
  • "The ability of the product to perform with simplicity of deployment make it a valuable solution."
  • "Third-party switches do not necessarily integrate easily with the system and this could be improved to allow for better adaptation."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to deploy and manage the wireless APs and system switches.

How has it helped my organization?

One of the ways Meraki improved our organization is just the simplicity of deployment and scalability. We could easily see and monitor the bandwidth at all the stores easily.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I find most valuable is the product's ability and simplicity.

What needs improvement?

Probably the thing that could use the most improvement is the terminal monitor issues on ports. According to Meraki support, we need a third-party program to integrate other, non-Meraki switches if they don't have that integrator already. It is not a problem with the Meraki switches, of course.

The stability of the solution is great. The only problems we had is an issue with the firmware, but they replaced that right away and it solved the issue.

We think the scalability of the solution is great as far as the wireless AP. We expanded, so far, by ten access points. Eventually, we are going to do 30 of them.

If we experience any problem I can call technical support right away. If I have to do something like replacing a switch, they send it to me within two business days.

I was not in that position to make any type of call on the product we selected and used at the time it was implemented.

The initial setup was really pretty straightforward.

The APs are pretty easy to deploy so we did not need the assistance of a vendor or consultant. We just got support directly from Meraki is we had any issue.

I am not in the position to evaluate the return on investment.

Cost and pricing falls outside of my responsibility.

I was not in a position to be involved in the evaluation of options.

What other advice do I have?

As far as this solution I would rate it as a nine out of ten from my experience and comparing it to what I know about other solutions. It's really easy to use. The technical support and customer experience are great and that just adds value to the product.

Any advice I have for people considering the solution is that if they want something that is going to work and be simple to deploy, this is a product they should strongly consider. I don't think the simplicity of the product is matched for what it provides.

Apprentice Technical Project Manager at a retailer with 201-500 employees
Reseller
It's a solution that can be used by anyone and has good support
  • "You don't have to be a network engineer to use it."
  • "The MDM, however, is bad. We're using another MDM now because Meraki was so bad."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is managing the LAN, the Local Area Network, in our shops. We have a total of 40 shops in France, so I'm using Meraki for managing my LAN, my access point, my switches my VLAN, my SSIDs, etc.

What is most valuable?

Meraki is easy to use. You don't have to be a network engineer to use it. That's why I like it. I'm in IT, I know how our network works, but if you give that solution to my mom, for example, she would have used it like a normal, she could have opened a shop for example. That's what I like about Meraki Dashboard - all your switches, all your access points are all in one place, and it's easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The MDM needs improvement. I know that we used to use the MDM for a long time, for one or two years, but we had to leave it because it wasn't really good enough for us. THe MDM should be improved.

I've been using the solution for 3 years.

The stability is okay. In three years, we've only had two or three problems, but one of them was our fault. The other one was on Meraki's side, but it still worked. Meraki was not working, we couldn't use them, but the products were okay, the LAN was okay. So I guess the stability is great.

We have five administrators that work on the dashboard.

Technical support is great. They've been great.

We used Aruba for about six months before Meraki. We switched because we thought that the Aruba Dashboard was really poor in terms of features and things you can do in management. Also, the managing area of Aruba was really bad compared to Meraki. That's why we switched.

The initial setup is really easy. You just have to open an account. It's also really easy to add equipment.

We used the Meraki team, but beyond that, we didn't get help from anyone else. We installed all the switches and all of the access points.

We thought about Aruba, but the features weren't enough, compared to Meraki.

What other advice do I have?

We use the solution every day, every hour. We usually check the dashboard once a day.

Be aware that it's really easy to use, so you can easily make the wrong changes for example, but can get help easily from good people. Meraki is very accessible.

It's a solution that can be used by anyone - by administrators, by end-users, by a lot of people. You have to be aware that it is pretty easy to be used, but you have to use it well. Use it well and it will be fine.

The MDM, however, is bad. We're using another MDM now because Meraki was so bad.

I would rate the solution 9 out of 10.

Network Administrator at Diversicare Healthcare Services
Nice and easy cloud management with a quick and painless setup
  • "There is no need to swap the hardware at all the locations, and importing the APs into the Dashboard was a simple and quick process."
  • "I am concerned about the fact that once your licensing expires the devices stop working and become a brick."

What is our primary use case?

We acquired more than two hundred and fifty Meraki APs as part of a multi-site acquisition. We bought the licensing, stood up a Meraki Dashboard and imported the APs into our Dashboard. A super easy transition of the Wireless LAN.

How has it helped my organization?

There is no need to swap the hardware at all the locations, and importing the APs into the Dashboard was a simple and quick process. Building the environment in the Dashboard was quick as well. Overall, the changeover was painless from the wireless standpoint.

What is most valuable?

Cloud management is nice and easy. There are no controllers to deal with upgrading and maintaining. It is easy to see all of the devices are online, and if not, which ones are down.

What needs improvement?

I am concerned about the fact that once your licensing expires the devices stop working and become a brick.

Almost three years.
Product Specialist at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Single pane of glass enables you to configure a monitor view, all from one dashboard
  • "The feature I find most valuable is the single pane of glass where you can configure a monitor view, all from one dashboard. For example, on the wireless side, you can configure it under the configuration panel, and then view statistics like location analytics, user analytics, etc."
  • "Not a lot of training is available."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is with the Managed Service Provider Dashboard. I work for an ISP, and we provide Meraki solutions to our customers.

How has it helped my organization?

In terms of the operation side, the Meraki Dashboard has made it much easier to use and configure from one place. There are tools embedded in the dashboard to troubleshoot, instead of looking at various network elements, you just have the one dashboard to view everything.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The product can be improved around the captive portal portion. It may be helpful to have maybe some popups or blurbs that just guide you in terms of how to use it or explain what a certain input means. Also, for example, the summary dashboard is under Organization, instead of under Network and sometimes it gets confusing where to actually find the summary dashboard.

For me, from a usability or user journey perspective, it can be a bit more intuitive. For example, I want to see the summary from my Network but I have to go to Organization. Also the guides: they are great, but it's very difficult to find user guides, specifically on how to use every single feature. If I have to draw up the user guide, it's quite difficult to find the content. And maybe something which is connected with the support, or the price, or something like that. Or functionality, like more features.

I have been using the Meraki Dashboard for 9 months now.

I find the stability of the Meraki Dashboard very reliable and stable. It's got the built-in mechanisms like warm spares, automatic solar, from my side, it's been very reliable. I've always been able to connect to the dashboard. There haven't been any outages. We haven’t had any stability issues.

In terms of scalability, we are planning to roll it out to the rest of our 400 stores. We've only got one solution that's live right now, which is a combination of their security appliance, which is an access point. For the Wi-Fi, many of the guests who come through the store are using it. The internal staff is using the Wi-Fi and the LAN. It's the store that sells our product, and they're using the full stack of Meraki right now.

The technical support that I've experienced so far has been very good. The guys used to literally log the ticket on the dashboard, and they answer us. It's normally back within a day or so, so they've been very helpful.

Before Meraki Dashboard, we didn't previously use a different solution. From my side, I haven't used anything else. But the technical teams have used the traditional Cisco RSR's, and their Aironet Wi-Fi solution, and it's significantly more difficult to deploy those solutions.

The initial setup was very, very intuitive and easy to use, in terms of installation. We've mainly worked on the wireless access point, but there's education that's starting to happen within the NSP environment. You need to get the guys up to speed. And this is a very different way of configuring and doing things, that's the learning journey, but once we actually are up to speed on how to use it, it's much quicker than the traditional use cases. They defined all the test cases and use cases that they'd want to test after deploying. It was pretty successful from the Meraki side, but internally, it was the education side that was lacking because the guys didn't fully understand how to use it, at that stage. And that's why it took so long to deploy.

For the implementation, we ourselves did the POC, but we did have a representative from Meraki here that was guiding us for about a week.

From a pricing perspective, they are still expensive.

Before choosing we didn't really evaluate other options. The guys are used to using it, but in terms of troubleshooting, they have to access many different systems. The reason why we did a POC with Meraki is because the sales representative came down to visit MTN. There's a Cisco partnership that's in place. They gave us the solution of Meraki and the objective. There was a rationale behind why we should do this POC, and that's why they moved. It was more of a selling initiative. They sold the solution to MTN, so we didn't choose it because the other solutions were not working, it was a sale.

What other advice do I have?

Regarding this solution, there are a few additional comments: from my side, because I'm a managed service provider, and we sell and manage services to our customer, I feel what's lacking right now is the technical training to up skill and manage the service provider. In South Africa, a lot of training is not available. In terms of technical training, there's none of that, apart from the CMNO training.

it_user1031073 - PeerSpot reviewer
Head of Defense Analytics at clearmatics
We have much better wireless coverage than we had before and we have visibility of all the users
  • "It has improved my organization in the way that we've got a much better wireless coverage than we had before, and secondly, we have the visibility of all the users."
  • "You can't really clone or replicate a device, that sort of feature would be useful. You can clone the site but you cannot clone the device."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is to provide a wireless and networking solution for the office or home. I use it at home and at work.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved my organization in the way that we've got a much better wireless coverage than we had before, and secondly, we have the visibility of all the users.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features would be its ease of use and the easy integration.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for around three years.

As far as I know, it is very stable.

The scalability is unlimited. You can scale as much as you want, at least for the environment that I'm in. We don't have thousands, we've only got under ten. It's right for our organization. I think scalability-wise it's capable of scaling up to around 200, maybe a couple thousand. It's all cloud based so we don't control anything.

We have around 45 users using this solution. Their roles are primarily developers. We only require one staff member for the deployment and maintenance which is me.

It is used in the office environment and if we get more people joining us, we might need more Meraki access points and maybe more filters.

Technical support is pretty good. They come back to me with the answers or at least help me with how to get answers.

We switched to Meraki from Fortinet. We switched because it was not easy to manage.

The initial setup was straightforward. The guys from the Meraki website were quite good.

The deployment took a few minutes but the congregation took a couple of days.

I did the deployment myself.

Licensing is around under 1000 pounds. The licensing is either one year, three years, five years or ten years and during the licensing, we can choose to renew it per year or per every three years. We've got a license for three years. It's about 160 or about 200 pounds each.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise someone considering this solution to go for it.

I would rate it a nine out of ten.

Jacobo Levy - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Engineer at a computer software company with 1-10 employees
Reseller
Gives us centralized control of multiple clients and sites

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is network security and reporting.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has improved our organization by centralizing control of multiple clients and sites.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is their support, and they get better every day.

What needs improvement?

The pricing for this solution needs to be improved.

More than six years.
Project Director
MSP
Presence analytics enables retail stores to recognize their customers at multiple locations

What is most valuable?

In my previous employment, I used to deploy Meraki solutions for retail stores. They really liked the the Presence analytics feature. Basically, they could tell how many clients came into each store and how many clients came out, using the MAC addresses, not some kind of analog solution. So not only could they know how many clients came in and came out, but also how many returning customers came to each location. They could take that data and match it up with the other locations, and get a lot of marketing information from that too.

In addition to Presence analytics, Layer 7 filtering allowed me to filter connectivity by service and not by port. Also Easy VPN connectivity between the Merakis, multiple SSID configurations, plus I could segregate one SSID from another. One more feature I would add is Facebook integration.

How has it helped my organization?

It improved the marketing solution of the company where I deployed it and it improved the way they gather marketing data tremendously. Instead of sending emails to customers with their old access-point solution, each client that came into the store - by checking into the store, they could connect right away to Wi-Fi - the store could get a lot of the social media data from their clients. That's how they got automatic marketing going, by the clients checking into Facebook. So their friends could see right away their check-ins, and so on.

It's funny, because these are solutions that are more in the marketing area rather than the network, but there's no other solution that provides this.

What needs improvement?

The process of getting licensing can be a little bit painful, especially if you're doing it each year. The customer support could also take a while to get on the line.

I'd say around five years.

No issues with stability. It was good. Once I deployed it, I totally forgot about it. It did its job, network-wise.

I would say it's about a seven out of 10.

Previously we used a different solution that only offered the ability to get emails from customers, and this provided a much better solution for a retail environment.

Simple.

Merkaki was there before I was hired, and I'm the one who took it and presented it to my supervisor. From there, I went and presented it to the company where I deployed it. It was a great story. It was only after about two weeks at my new job back then, I brought the solution to my company, and then I sold the solution, configured the solution, designed the solution, and maintained the solution day-to-day. So it was something that I did my own research on.

What other advice do I have?

Look at all the features it has to offer, not only network-wise. For example, the Meraki MR12 is an excellent solution for retail, and you also have a Meraki that has great switches where you can control everything over the cloud, and so on. There are different features that fit well so I'd recommend looking into everything it has to offer, and all the solutions.

I give it a 10 out of 10 because I don't see any other product in the market that offers the same solutions, at least for retail.

Download our free Meraki Dashboard Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022