Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

McAfee Web Protection OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

McAfee Web Protection is #3 ranked solution in top Web Content Filtering tools and #5 ranked solution in top Internet Security tools. PeerSpot users give McAfee Web Protection an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. McAfee Web Protection is most commonly compared to Zscaler Internet Access: McAfee Web Protection vs Zscaler Internet Access. McAfee Web Protection is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 71% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 27% of all views.
McAfee Web Protection Buyer's Guide

Download the McAfee Web Protection Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is McAfee Web Protection?

McAfee Web Protection is a web content filtering tool that guards against sophisticated internet threats on every device, user, and location. McAfee Web Protection provides the protection, controls, and deployment flexibility you need, from web filtering and anti-malware scanning to deep content inspection and granular control over Web 2.0 sites.

Every day, McAfee Labs detects over 100,000 new pieces of malware. Businesses are demanding the finest web security available to combat such expansion as the level of risk continues to rise. McAfee, more than any other vendor, understands the security needs of today's linked Web 2.0 environment and provides the industry's most effective, proactive web security.

With McAfee Web Protection’s deployment flexibility, businesses can secure personnel at corporate headquarters with hardware or virtual appliances, and remote or traveling staff with cloud services. Branch offices can also send all of their site's traffic to the cloud service, saving money on MPLS networks, which normally backhaul all public-facing web traffic to a central location for processing.

McAfee Web Protection Features

McAfee Web Protection has many valuable key features. Some of the most useful ones include:

• Deployment versatility: For more deployment flexibility and high availability, you can combine these three deployment options:
  1. on-premises with appliances
  2. virtual environments
  3. cloud
  • High-level security: The McAfee Gateway Anti-Malware Engine, which features a proprietary approach to behavioral analysis, is used by McAfee Web Protection to stop zero-day malware in real time. McAfee Endpoint Security, McAfee Advanced Threat Defense, McAfee Cloud Threat Detection, and McAfee Threat Intelligence Exchange integration are all provided.
  • Advanced reporting: Regardless of the delivery platform, advanced reporting aggregates the data you need to secure your web presence. McAfee Web Protection provides data that indicates how businesses use the internet, assisting in the compliance of legislation, the identification of trends, the isolation of problems, the documentation of incorrect web activity, and the customization of filtering settings to best regulate web usage policies.
  • Maximum flexibility: McAfee Web Gateway on-premises equipment, McAfee SaaS Web Protection and McAfee Web Filter for Endpoint, are all included in a single subscription. These tools, together, address current demands while allowing for future changes.
  • High-level security: McAfee Web Protection, the top-rated malware protection solution, employs the McAfee Gateway anti-malware engine, which employs a patent-pending behavioral analysis technique.
  • Complete protection, both incoming and outgoing: With a comprehensive web filtering database, McAfee Web Protection follows a business's internet use policy. Malware and other hidden dangers are quickly and effectively protected using layered security.

Reviews from Real Users

McAfee Web Protection stands out among its competitors for a number of reasons. Two major ones are its help with regulatory compliance and its malware and spyware detection. PeerSpot users take note of the advantages of these features in their reviews:

Vivek G., DGM at a financial services firm, writes of the product, “It is functional. It has reduced risk and downtime while also ensuring regulatory compliance, which is critical.” He adds, “I would rate McAfee Web Protection a nine out of ten.”

Another PeerSpot reviewer, an AVP Information Security at a financial services firm, notes, “If you are browsing web applications, it would help detect any malware. It's very useful for security purposes. The product also protects against spyware. It helps protect and control communications. The product is quite an effective firewall.”

McAfee Web Protection was previously known as McAfee Web Gateway, McAfee SaaS Web Protection.

McAfee Web Protection Customers

Sicredi

McAfee Web Protection Video

Archived McAfee Web Protection Reviews (more than two years old)

Great for scanning and for protection against unsafe websites
  • "The solution does what it's meant to do."
  • "Lacking filter for spam."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for protection, basically for scanning. Sometimes it pops up to warn me that I'm connecting to a site that is unsafe and it blocks access. I work as a CIO along with others in the company and we offer our consulting services to different companies. I'm a customer of McAfee.

What is most valuable?

My aim is to make sure that when I try to connect to a website, for personal or business reasons, I'm not taken to an unsafe site. Sometimes you are on a site with a connection to a document or something and the message pops up that it's unsafe. That's what I'm looking for in this solution and that's what I get. It's a good product.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be improved by providing a little more information. Sometimes I'd like to  know why a site is considered unsafe. Is the site on a list or is there a component within the site that is problematic. That could be a feature they add in the next release. If I had  more details, I could make an informed decision as to whether or not I wish to proceed. I would also like to see more coverage for spam.

I've been using this solution for five years.

McAfee Web Protection
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about McAfee Web Protection. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.

This is a very stable solution although sometimes I get a pop up about the amount of resources being consumed and access is slow as a result. The solution may be a bit demanding in that sense. McAfee could perhaps try to make it more seamless or less demanding on system resources, but other than that I didn't see any specific slow down. It doesn't prevent me from installing safe packages.

I previously used Norton but that was a bit cumbersome. And I also tried AV Defender for a short period, it's a company from the Netherlands, I don't think it's a main player.

The initial setup was very straightforward and I did a refresh at one point which I do once in a while. It went very smoothly so I don't have any complaints. Deployment takes a few hours if you're installing an entire computer but McAfee itself took maybe five or 10 minutes.

I believe the license costs something like $150 Canadian per year. It also covers my laptop and my phone. I believe I can cover up to five devices.

What other advice do I have?

I receive a monthly report and I've never had a problem so I presume that it's doing its job well. I don't get any viruses or have any issues. It's not strong in terms of spam filter so I do get that at times. Eventually, I'd probably consider added a spam filter but it's not a big issue for me.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

MarkGrover - PeerSpot reviewer
Information Technology Security Consultant at Infosec Consulting ltd
Web Protection that does what it says it will and what you want it to
  • "It has dependable anti-malware and intrusion prevention features all-in-one package."
  • "The manufacturerers should have more transparancy about exactly what is getting filtered when you use the product and why."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is the malware protection capability. Sometimes we use it for the firewall features, but normally it is just a straight antivirus product for us.

I work with clients to get it installed and I also use it personally.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature for us is the anti-malware. It does have the IPS (Intrusion Prevention System) capabilities in there. I have used that personally as well and it is a nice feature.

What needs improvement?

I do not know if you really need to improve Web Protection. The only thing I can think of that might be negative is that sometimes I get a feeling that web protection products are purposely filtering some sites that are not really malicious. I do not know if they try and guide you toward particular websites or away from others for marketing purposes. I do know that if you do not use web protection, you tend to see more websites. The dangerous ones are filtered. Maybe more transparency on what the filters do would be good.

I have been working for maybe about 10 years now with McAfee.

The stability of McAfee is good. No complaints.

Web Protection is scalable.

I have not personally contacted technical support but I have gotten feedback from people who have. Most people are satisfied with the fact that they do not have to struggle with the product so there is not much reason to be in touch with the technical support team. I have not heard people saying anything bad about the support itself, so I guess that is a good thing.

I previously used Websense by Forcepoint a long time ago. The main difference is that Websense was an appliance. So that was installed in the server room and then configured with policies and it was centrally managed. McAfee is not server-based, so you can install it on your own device — anywhere that you like really. McAfee may be easier to deploy and handle.

I think the initial setup is pretty straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give to people who want to use McAfee Web Protection would be that I recommend the product. I think that it is good.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Web Protection overall as about an eight. It has got some room for improvement, but I also never give people a ten.

It does what I want it to do, generally. I think it definitely does what it says it does.

Hybrid Cloud
McAfee Web Protection
September 2022
632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Daniel Colombani - PeerSpot reviewer
Lead: Incident Response, Investigation & Vulnerability Management at a government with 501-1,000 employees
Easily blacklist malicious sites both on premise and on the cloud
  • "The most valuable is the blocking of blacklisted sites, a URL that is, either by intelligence or by McAfee, detected as a malicious site."
  • "We used a consultant to help us set it up. Unfortunately, he was not that good. They were out of McAfee people. He was a consultant and knew the product, but he was not a McAfee person. How they managed it and how they worked was not straightforward."

What is our primary use case?

We are using version 8. It is a Hybrid deployment. McAfee uses its own cloud. We monitor everything that is going outside of the United States, and that's why we can see any communication between our users who are outside of Virginia or the United States. We use it to see the communication between our users and outside the United States. We have almost 700 users. We have different departments and all the users. As well, we include servers for this; that we can block any server trying to talk outside to any site.

How has it helped my organization?

One of the best things we've found is when you are at home, all the rules that we applied here in our facility or our office go to the cloud. The same rules apply to anyone who works at home. And when you're at home and you're trying to say, "Okay, I'm not in the office, I can go to this site." "No." Because the same rules that apply here, also apply there, and we block the ability to go to any site that is found on the blacklist. That's improved a lot lately because now we have almost zero PC compromise.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable is the blocking of blacklisted sites, a URL that is, either by intelligence or by McAfee, detected as a malicious site.

I have used McAfee Web Protection for two years.

We have not had any issues with stability.

The scalability of McAfee Web Protection is excellent.

The technical support is great. When we put in a ticket, they respond in a few hours. If we put in that the server is down, we get a call in half an hour.

I used Sophos before; Sophos Web, as well as the Sophos app. We wanted to expand our capability using other products. And Sophos doesn't give you that capability to do it all. Another thing is, I'm the manager of the operation. And something I don't want is to have so many different parts from different vendors. And then when you want to put in a ticket, now you need to call one vendor, then other vendors. And I was looking to have it all in one place, everything that I need. And McAfee Web Protection gave me that solution.

The initial setup of McAfee Web Protections is straightforward. It took around three days to complete. The implementation strategy was; first, block blacklist all the websites. Second, we move monthly monitoring different sites that people go to or sites that people need to go to, but we detect that it is malicious. Then we make an investigation because we are the entity that makes investigations. Maintenance is every time they update when new versions come out. It takes a few hours. That's another thing that's nice about McAfee Web Protection, it's straightforward. You download the update, put it there, and in a few hours, it is there.

We used a consultant to help us set it up. Unfortunately, he was not that good. They were out of McAfee people. He was a consultant and knew the product, but he was not a McAfee person. How they managed it and how they worked was not straightforward.

I think it's in less than a couple months, we are receiving a return of investment because when we start blocking a malicious site that before was compromised on our computer here, is the time to clean that computer, reimage that computer, we stopped that. That's why we say, the last year we have maybe one or two computers compromised because they go to a bad URL and download an app at work. We detect it fast and block the site. Also, we can control where you go and what you see. If you go to a particular site, we can block videos or pictures. That means the efficiency of our people goes up. Now you have a return of investment because people are not losing their time watching videos through YouTube or other sites and we can control that through the website, through the equipment.

When we started to buy the appliance the starting point was a little expensive. It depends on how people see it. In my case, they give a nice price. We are a government agency and they have a contract with us here in Virginia, they gave a nice discount and everything. We bought two appliances that have enough power for managing almost 30,000 users. We are using less than 1% of capacity. And this was a great feature for us because we never come to capacity, but we know that we have enough power to move anything that we want here. I would rate McAfee Web Protection a nine out of ten.

What other advice do I have?

I think right now that the product is the top one in the market right now. And we used another before then. One of my guys is working with it. He's the expert with this. And he told me that he's very happy with them.

Private Cloud
Security Operations Global Leader at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
Permits the user to go to the internet with a sufficient level of category blocking and anti-malware control
  • "It's a solution that permits making a granular configuration and it is easier to deploy the same configuration on a lot of devices using the central console. It is the master of the product."
  • "The configuration could be simplified because it is more complex to make the configuration on McAfee. What can be improved is the support of the agent on smartphones, IOS or Android. That still now is not available yet."

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-prem deployment model. Our primary use case is to permit the user to go to the internet with a sufficient level of a category blocking and anti-malware control.

What needs improvement?

We are not satisfied with the compatibility of the solution with other devices, like smartphones. In the next release, we would like to see the support of smartphones. It's one of the things that we have been asking them for five years.

I have been using McAfee Web Protection for around six to seven years.

It is absolutely stable.

Scalability is good. It is easy to expand. We have more or less 100,000 of users right around the world that use this solution. All the people that work in our company use this solution to browse the internet. Anybody from the financial department, manufacturing, development, etc..

Currently, it's used by 100% of the people that work in our company. We have no visibility to expand. It would be useful to move from an on-prem to a cloud solution.

It is complex to set up the infrastructure. Defining the rules that permit or denies the internet address is complex. Also if you have to connect the appliance to different active directory domains, there is a complicated procedure to create the token that you have to upload on the device on.

The deployment took three to four weeks.

We used McAfee Professional Services for the deployment. They offer support for the first two weeks of the activity.

What other advice do I have?

McAfee Web Protection is good technology. Absolutely. It has a very particular configuration that you can implement in a granular way. What is probably not easy to do is to do something simple.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Manager of BI at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Easy to use and it protects our BI data from web-based threats
  • "The most valuable feature of this solution is that it protects against threats that are coming from the web."
  • "The solution should be more proactive in regards to sending you updates."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for security related to data that is coming from the internet.

How has it helped my organization?

This product simplifies the risk of creating additional customized solutions for data threats.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I would like to see easy-to-use documentation regarding new threats.

The solution should be more proactive in regards to sending you updates. Rather than simply being informed of an update and then have to click on it if you want to, the service packs should be installed automatically.

The stability of this solution is ok.

The solution is scalable.

The technical support is good, but it's always "I'll call you back", especially when there are no threats.

We usually just call our IT department and they take care of it. On a couple of occasions, I have called them directly. I'm in the BI world, so our environment needs to be very secure. I think that they should have different levels, or tiers, like a general user, advanced, and your pros. Instead of going back and forth several times, talking with customer support, it would be easier.

We did not use a solution prior to this one.

Using this type of solution is best practice in the industry. It is easy to use and it is affordable.

The initial setup is straightforward.

We handled the deployment in-house.

The IT department was responsible for choosing the vendor.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product but at the same time, I would first check to see if there are any newcomers in the market. I would then do a proof of concept and test it out.

Business Analyst at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
A stable solution, although it needs more flexibility

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for the user security side of things.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease in the configuration for security roles.

What needs improvement?

We need a better customer experience and more flexibility in the product. I would like to put in more roles for the users.

The solution is stable but it needs more. It is rigid.

Another person is responsible for dealing with technical support, so I do not have experience with them.

We did have an older product but this one had more features so we made the change.

This initial setup for this solution was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

IT Consultant at a tech consulting company with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
The URL filtering policy makes rules to block a website where a user should not be able to access it

What is most valuable?

The feature which I have found most valuable is the URL filtering policy.

This feature:

1. Gives me a opportunity to make rules for blocking a website where the user should not be able to access it.
  2. Then, McAfee Web Gateway also classifies the sites and categories them.

How has it helped my organization?

In a company, where about 1000 end users are active, the McAfee Web Gateway are protecting us from threats.

Sample: A user clicks a link in a spam/phishing email, the URL gets blocked by the reputation/category. The end user is protected from phishing attempts or ransomware campaigns.

What needs improvement?

From the McAfee site, I see no areas for improvement.

As a company or an IT department, you should have a look at the Advanced Threat Defense to build up your security solution with the McAfee Web Gateway.

For about two years.

No. No issues at all.

No. No stability issues have been noticed.

The McAfee customer service is great. As mentioned in my earlier review, this is a top 10 customer service.

10 out of 10. McAfee's technical support is a great way to solve your problems.

Fast response, great assistance, and understanding from the tech support team.

A lot of config will need to be done. If you don't know what you are doing, or if you don't know the product and it's config, you should contact either McAfee or a partner to them for help.

In-house.

As a consultant, this isn't applicable to me.

Even if the product, as well with the Advanced Threat Defense costs a lot, it's a long-term investment and will help you with attacks.

However, the first protection should always be knowledge by your users, and second protection should be products, such as the McAfee Web Gateway

The implementation was already on it's way, so no evaluation of other products was done.

What other advice do I have?

Have a look at the Advanced Threat Defense implementation, and implement it with the McAfee Web Gateway. This is a more advanced filtering of files which could inflict damage upon your company or end users.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are gold partners to McAfee where we are working tight together with them.
it_user800895 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user800895Developper at CacheGuard Technologies Ltd
User

McAfee Web Gateway is a great product but you have bunch of alternative solutions sometimes proposed at a more attractive price. You can even build your own Web Gateway based on a Linux box, Squid and SquidGuard or pick a product such as CacheGuard that integrates them into a ready to use appliance.

it_user365724 - PeerSpot reviewer
Security Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Has built-in AV & malware inspection. Full granular policy customization capability.

Valuable Features:

This product has built-in AV & malware inspection. Full granular policy customization capability. SaaS and integration with ePO completes a full security solution (HIPS/IPS/IDS/SWG/AV).

Improvements to My Organization:

Less complex policy to administer, complete visibility with a single pane of glass when integrated with ePO.

Room for Improvement:

Add McAfee Client Proxy agents for mobiles to Web SaaS instead of the consumer based mobile security platform. Adding CASB feature would get McAfee ahead.

Download our free McAfee Web Protection Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022