We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Katalon Studio OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Katalon Studio is #5 ranked solution in top Test Automation Tools and #7 ranked solution in top API Testing Tools. PeerSpot users give Katalon Studio an average rating of 8 out of 10. Katalon Studio is most commonly compared to TestProject: Katalon Studio vs TestProject. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 30% of all views.
What is Katalon Studio?

Katalon Studio is a simple and powerful automation solution built by KMS Technology for testers everywhere. The tool provides features comparable to popular commercial solutions while eliminating the hassle of building an automation framework from open sources. Best of all, we are committed to keeping Katalon Studio free.

Katalon Studio Buyer's Guide

Download the Katalon Studio Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Katalon Studio Customers
  • Sony
Katalon Studio Video

Katalon Studio Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Katalon Studio pricing:
  • "We were using the free version of this tool."
  • "The price is not high it's good."
  • "We are using the free version of Katalon Studio at this point."
  • "Its pricing is quite reasonable. If you require their help in getting started, then there is a professional services fee on top of the product license cost."
  • Katalon Studio Reviews

Khurram Jamil Khan
    Head of SQA, Project Manager at Vroozi
    Great record and playback functionality but isn't user-friendly and needs better technical support
    • "The best thing about the solution is that there is a record and playback functionality."
    • "The free version of the solution is not user friendly at all."

What is our primary use case?

We have an application that's for secure point management. There are different values on it, starting from PR creation to PO, etc. We log into the application and then create a PR and then a PO, and from there we can run functional test cases.

We use it to identify important areas for regression testing.

What is most valuable?

There is a free version of the solution.

The best thing about the solution is that there is a record and playback functionality.

The solution allows for specific object files.

The solution has great multi-parallel languages that work in the facilities here.

What needs improvement?

The free version of the solution is not user friendly at all.

The solution's most valuable aspect is related to the record and playback. However, they need to improve the record and playback facility. TestComplete and UFT both have a much better record and playback functionality in comparison. It's one of the main reasons why I have, for example, inline tools, like UFT 5.0.

They need to improve their object repository.

The solution isn't as mature as TestComlete or UFT. Although they are continuously writing more functionalities, this is one area they really need to improve in.

Technical support needs to be improved upon.

We've been using the solution for three to four years now.

The solution is okay in terms of stability, but just not as stable as TestComplete or UFT, two of its competitors.

We have five people working with the solution right now.

This solution was being extensively used on a daily basis in our organization.

However, for the last couple of months we are not using it as much as we were using it. From February, we have reduced the usage of Katalon because we are working on a replacement solution. We're very cost-conscious and the new tool provides us with more value.

The solution does have potential to scale. It would be pretty easy to do so if a company needed to.

We've contacted technical support in the past. The support is basically a site where you can record your issues. The feedback I've received from my team is that it's not great technical support and they aren't fully satisfied.

We actually started with a solution called Selenium. However, the Selenium GUI was not as comprehensive and the solution itself was not easy to use. We moved to Katalon due to the fact that it was free of charge, and had the record and playback facilities we required.

The initial setup wasn't complex. It was straightforward. I found it to be quite easy.

Due to the fact the process wasn't that difficult, we handled the installation of the solution in-house with our own team.

There is a free version of the solution. That said, companies should be aware that if they do go ahead with the freemium version, the effort required to do the work is extremely high and might negate the positive aspect of having a "free" solution.

We've since looked at both UFT and TestComplete. Katalon is cheaper, however, it doesn't offer everything we need and its features aren't as robust as the other two.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the solution as a customer and don't have any sort of relationship or contract with Katalon.

The company gave us a demo to try that includes approximately seven or eight sessions of training to all 15 resources. However, Katalon also has lesson fees associated with the solution. That means we have to spend money, and we need to be strategic and careful now when considering which tool we need to invest in. That's why we are basically working on different tools, including UFT and TestComplete.

We are working with the 4.0 and 5.0 versions, however versions 7.0 and 8.0 have also launched at this point.

Katalon is a good tool if we are comparing it with a developer tool. It's the cheaper option too, however, is not as mature as compared to the other competitors. The lack of maturity may be why it's cheaper.

If a company is looking to buy a user-friendly software testing tool while having to pay less money, Katalon may be the best option as compared to UFT or TestComplete.

I'd rate the solution overall six out of ten.

Software QA Test Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Good reporting as well as integration with Jenkins and Slack, but it crashes often
    • "The most important feature is the Jenkins integration; it is pretty straight forward and allows us to run nightly builds."
    • "It would be helpful to have an automatic save feature."

What is our primary use case?

We evaluated Katalon Studio along with Postman and SoapUI to be part of our testing framework. We used it mainly for microservices, API automation, and testing API endpoints. We click one button to have it run all of the tests and generate a report.

How has it helped my organization?

Katalon Studio is useful because it helped us to generate reports to see which test cases passed versus which ones failed. It gives a good graphical representation of the results.

What is most valuable?

The integration with Slack is very helpful.

The Katalon Analytical Studio, which is directly integrated, offers better reporting capabilities, which is a good feature.

What needs improvement?

We found that Katalon Studio crashes a lot of the time and it would be very good if it were more stable. When it crashes, the tests are not always saved and this means that you have to start again from scratch. It would be helpful to have an automatic save feature.

We used Katalon Studio for about two months while we were evaluating different products.

This solution crashes often and stability is something that needs improvement.

I would rate the stability a six and a half out of ten.

Scalability depends on the scope of the project. It is not meant for load testing. However, if it can be integrated then you would see that it's more scalable in that aspect. Because it is just for API endpoint testing, it is not as scalable as one would assume. Again, it is for endpoint testing as opposed to load testing.

We had a team of four or five people who were using this product. They are test engineers with similar roles.

It is a growing community. There are documents available but I would say that the community is pretty small as compared to what Postman has.

Prior to this solution, we were using TestNG. It is more about writing automation code as opposed to using an automation tool. Using it means that you have to write a lot of code. Code snippets will do for some testing but if you want to do regression testing then there is a lot more to do. One of the reasons that we implemented Postman, and evaluated Katalon Studio, was to get away from writing code and using something more stable.

The initial setup is quite straightforward.

We deploy per release, where every two weeks we deploy a new release.

Our implementation strategy is to create the test case first, then to create a test suite in the object repository. We can add all of the endpoints, and the calls for the endpoints. We run the tests through the suites, which will test all of the test cases. It is then run with the Jenkins integration and Slack integration to get the results, and what has passed or failed will be clear.

The implementation is straightforward if you are using it from the local machine. You can download it directly through the provider interface.

If you are running it through the Jenkins you will require a plugin to be downloaded. Jenkins supports plugins that include the Katalon plugin, and once downloaded, you enter your code into the repository and run it from there.

We were using the free version of this tool.

We evaluated Postman and SoapUI along with Katalon Studio. Ultimately, we chose Postman because it has been in the market for a while, it has good open-source documentation and has a more active community. In general, people trust it.

What other advice do I have?

Products such as this one are a byproduct of artificial intelligence. It comes up with very nice code snippets that we can use, and it is good to see the industry moving forward in this aspect. The future is AI and Katalon is a part of that.

When it comes to testing RESTful APIs, this is a good solution but in the alternative, Postman is out there. That is the one that we ultimately chose to implement.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Learn what your peers think about Katalon Studio. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
    564,729 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Senior Quality Assurance Analyst at a educational organization with 501-1,000 employees
    A simple installation with good video tutorials and great stability
    • "The scalability of the product is good."
    • "The price of the solution is a bit high. It's one of the reasons we decided not to continue using the product."

What is our primary use case?

For Katalon Studio we tried using it for record and play tasks. We could test it on Windows and different operating systems, such as macOS.

What is most valuable?

I did a small POC and during that time I found the product to be very easy to use. I'd describe it as extremely user-friendly.

There's a lot of information that is readily available on the internet, and therefore it's easy to learn about the product itself.

The scalability of the product is good.

The solution was quite stable throughout the time I used it.

We found the installation process to be quite simple. There is also very helpful online documentation that can help you if you ever get stuck during the implementation process itself.

What needs improvement?

As of now, the product has a complete packet and they could develop more on it. It definitely could improve the interface as well for mobile. While I didn't use it too much while I was working with the solution at the time, I am using mobile a lot now, and I see how helpful it is to have a good interface in place.

I didn't use the solution for very long. I did a small POC for about one month or so.

The stability of the solution was quite good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable and the performance is great.

The solution is quite scalable. If you go ahead and use the paid version, you can expand it as you need to.

At the time, we had eight to ten people using the solution, however, we are no longer using it, and therefore do not have plans to scale or increase usage.

I personally never dealt with technical support. We had a team member in DevOps that would sometimes touch base with them. I can't speak to any personal experience, however.

We have used, and continue to use, an in-house automation tool. When that company developed our SIEM work, we built custom SEIM for work in Java and Selenium.

We simply tried Katalon as we were using different operating systems and we wanted to try a solution that worked across them.

The initial setup was not complex at all. The installation was very easy. The configuration, as well, was very straightforward. There are videos online that really help in walking you through the process. If you get stuck at any point you can watch them and they really help navigate you through the process.

I can't recall exactly how long the process took to complete.

In terms of maintenance, basically, there was one DevOps employee who was doing everything related to the maintenance part. We also had a manager heading it up. We were basically in different scrum teams and we were working on the same product. We only needed one person to look after everything and manage it as necessary.

Originally, we did pay a licensing fee, however, the company decided not to continue with the product in the end. For us, it was too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

On Katalon I didn't work much. I did a small POC and it was just for one month. After that, I switched back to our native and our custom in-house automation tool.

We didn't deploy it on the cloud due to the fact that initially, it was freeware, and then it got paid. At that point, our company was not interested in investing that amount of money into a new product when they had their own custom-built solution. They were parallelly building the automation framework in Java and Selenium. They're using test engines for reporting. Going forward, we will be using this framework and not Katalon.

I would recommend the solution to others. I would rate it at an eight out of ten.

Faranak Adinehzadeh
    Software Test Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    User-friendly with good object recognition, and priced well
    • "One of the features that I like is Object Recognition. It worked very well, and it allowed me to create a dynamic expert based on my requirements."
    • "Now we are having difficulties in using it and had to limit our automation experts to the features that Katalon allows us to use for free. It was free access and they claimed that it would be free for all time."

What is most valuable?

It's very user-friendly and convenient. The forum and the people who use Katalon have been very helpful.

One of the features that I like is Object Recognition. It worked very well, and it allowed me to create a dynamic expert based on my requirements. It was amazing and helped me resolve some of the issues that I was having.

Previously with another application, we had to create an expert dynamically and used the running of tests which provided a solution for it.

What needs improvement?

It would be helpful if we could develop from scripts in other languages. For example Python. It would be more convenient than working with Jira and Java. For some of my colleagues who don't have the knowledge in the development, it is easier to work with Python rather than with Java.

After two years of using this solution for free, we were limited in the features that we could use and had to start to pay for them. Now, we are having difficulties in using it and had to limit our automation experts to the features that Katalon allows us to use for free. It was free access and they claimed that it would be free for all time.

I would like to see it integrate other tools other than Jira, and to have support in other development languages would be helpful.

I have been working with Katalon Studio for over a year.

We have three users in our organization who are using this product.

My experience with technical support was that they were kind and friendly, but when I spoke with them regarding the pricing issue and the free solution, they were not as kind.

In other read or questions and requests, they are very kind and friendly.

Also, they have a forum that is very useful.

Previously, we have used other applications and API. For some projects, we use a combination of applications and API.

The initial setup was easy and straightforward.

I didn't have any requirements.

It took a month to deploy 10 automating services.

Katalon Studio was offered free at first, and we could easily use it. After two years, some of the features were limited and we had to pay. Because of the sanctions, we had difficulties in being able to use a solution and having to pay for it. Our economic situation is not good and has created many difficulties.

The price is reasonable, but our sanctions do not allow us to pay for any international tools.

We have to find other companies to pay for us, without it costing us any money.

The price is not high, it's good.

My colleagues and I did a comparison between Ranorex Studio and Katalon Studio.

Katalon Studio provides us with a free solution for some of our basic features. Ranorex is very expensive for us. Both are user-friendly and we can work with both of these solutions easily.

What other advice do I have?

Once we developed a new solution, Katalon was no longer free, and we had to pay for all of the features.

Katalon has provided me with a solution to the issues and limitations that I was experiencing.

I have many limitations and issues with automating their application. I did not use the mobile features offered by Katalon Studio.

I would recommend it for anyone who doesn't want to be involved in developing a lot. some people want to use some resources to automate the application of their data system.

I think that if you have some knowledge of development and using Python in addition to Robot Framework, Framework is better. It allows them to do whatever they want.

For those who do not have development knowledge, I would recommend Katalon Studio.

I would rate Katalon Studio an eight out of ten.

Tinnaphan Wibullanon
    Professional Services Manager at a non-profit with 201-500 employees
    Good testing framework with a straightforward setup but needs more features
    • "The initial setup is pretty straightforward and easy enough to complete."
    • "It seems to lack a few requirements that a typical customer would want. Compared to other solutions, this product is lacking."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution according to customer requests. We don't use it for a specific feature; we tend to use it when and if we are requested to. The client dictates that on their end. It's largely used as an automation testing tool. That's how it is meant to be used.

What is most valuable?

The solution has very good integration capabilities overall.

The client has an extremely stable testing framework, and therefore they rely on Katalon to get the results. The reporting is very good.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward and easy enough to complete.

The stability, overall, seems to be reliable.

We haven't found the scalability to be lacking.

What needs improvement?

The solution could always add more features. It seems to lack a few requirements that a typical customer would want. Compared to other solutions, this product is lacking.

I'd like the integration with Jira to be a bit better.

The pricing could be slightly improved.

I've been using the solution for about a year at this point. It hasn't been that long. We tend to switch back and forth, between solutions. We tend to switch month to month.

I haven't come across any stability issues. Our clients haven't complained. It's pretty much big and glitch-free. It does not crash or freeze. Our customers have found it to be reliable.

We haven't found any limitations with the scalability. Our clients haven't hit any barriers as of yet. It's my understanding that the solution can scale.

I've never been in touch with technical support in the past. Therefore, I can't speak to how easy it is to get in touch with them, or how knowledgeable or responsive they are. Unfortunately, I have no insights to share.

Our team often Googles questions and can find answers online if they need to.

We did not find the initial setup to be overly complex or difficult. it was very straightforward. It was simple.

We have a team that can Google questions and find information online pretty easily if there is any maintenance that needs to be handled. We tend to handle the maintenance aspect for our clients.

It's my understanding that the pricing could be improved upon. I cannot recall the exact pricing. I cannot speak to the cost or licensing terms. We're just basically maintaining the solution for our clients.

What other advice do I have?

We are just end-users and use it according to our client's requirements. We don't have a specific business relationship with Katalon.

Some customers use ALM, and we use Jira, due to the lower price. These help us with project management aspects. This solution isn't well known, as it might be in other countries.

This solution is very useful for companies, such as banks or insurance organizations, that need something that can be used for commercial purposes. It's a good solution for enterprise-level companies.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten. It's okay, however, if it offered more features to its customer base, it would be much better.

QA Architect at a media company with 201-500 employees
    Easy to setup, with fast automation and not overly technical
    • "The automation is very fast and you don't need to be overly proficient in coding."
    • "There could potentially be more reporting within the solution. We need more issue reports, for example."

What is our primary use case?

We will primarily use the solution for regression testing.

What is most valuable?

Katalon is very easy to record and then we can use the identifiers very easily. Katalon automatically gets you all the identifiers. It's very user-friendly. How it finds the objects and gets the identifiers is excellent.

The initial setup is very easy.

What needs improvement?

I just started using it, however, if I get the demo, I'm looking for mobile as well, so that I can get more area on it. As of right now, I don't have that much. I'm just starting with it. Once I get to be a full-fledged user, then I can give better input.

We've only been using the solution for a couple of months at this point. It's still pretty new to us. We're still exploring the product.

We are still very new to the solution and we need more time to test the stability, to see if it is reliable. We haven't had any problems just yet, however, we haven't had enough time with the product to really make a judgment call on stability.

We are still simply exploring the solution and therefore only have maybe ten users on the solution at this time.

I've never had an opportunity to interact directly with technical support. I cannot speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

We have used Selenium in the past.

We did not find the initial setup to be very difficult or complex. It was straightforward. It was easy. A company shouldn't have any trouble with the process.

We were using the trial version and it was very easy to install.

We mostly installed the trial version ourselves, although we were in touch with Katalon during the process.

Before implementing Katalon, we compared it with Selenium, which we were already using.

If a user has good programmatic skills, I'd go for Selenium. Otherwise, due to its relative speed and faster automation, I'd go for Katalon.

What other advice do I have?

We want to use Katalon Studio RE. I had a call with the salesperson. He said that he'll arrange one day a demo, however, that has not been scheduled yet.

In general, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

I'd recommend it specifically for users that don't have that much programming prowess.

Testing Lead at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Flexible and cost-effective, but should include support for more frameworks
    • "The most valuable feature is that the browser and the API testing is available in a single tool, and I don't have to look at other options."
    • "There is not much support offered for the free version, which is something that could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

This is a product that I have been using personally, rather than professionally.

Katalon Studio is basically used for automation. One of the use cases is to automate products that my company is offering to our clients. Another use case is internal automation used to make our own development more efficient.

What is most valuable?

The flexibility that it offers is something that I like.

It supports the Cucumber BDD framework.

What needs improvement?

Support for more frameworks would be a really good addition to this tool

I have been using Katalon Studio for about one year.

The stability is fine.

Our use is still in the early phase, so we haven't yet looked at scalability or even how we can scale it up. There are only two of us using it at the moment.

When you have a license, the technical support is really good. However, the free version doesn't offer as much as it should. As such, we have not yet reached out to them.

The initial setup was straightforward. Once we had approval for the product, it did not take long to roll it out across the organization. I'm still building a case for it, although there isn't much in terms of roadblocks or issues.

We have an in-house team for deployment so we are thinking about doing it entirely on our own.

We are using the free version of Katalon Studio at this point.

Prior to choosing Katalon for testing, we were looking at Selenium and Telerik Test Studio. Katalon offers the free version, which allows us to play around with it. Also, the API and the mobile features are attractive.

What other advice do I have?

With respect to the free version, it is a product that I would recommend. However, at the enterprise level, I would have to evaluate the support and see what they have to offer with the licensed version.

Overall, this is a good tool but at this time, the support is something that I would like to see improved.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Senior Search Engineer at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
    Good support, reasonable price, and allows us to define a model to represent a website and reuse its components
    • "I like the feature where you can define a model that represents your website and then reuse the components from the model. It makes creating more test cases easy."
    • "One improvement would be if it could support more programming languages such as JavaScript or Python. Right now, it is only on Groovy, which I think is not a too popular language."

What is our primary use case?

I use it for automated testing. I am not using the latest version because their patches come out rather quickly. I can't patch as quickly.

What is most valuable?

I like the feature where you can define a model that represents your website and then reuse the components from the model. It makes creating more test cases easy.

What needs improvement?

Other than that, we would want to see new features in every update. We would welcome any kind of improvement in terms of performance, etc.

I have been using this solution for a year.

Its stability and performance are okay and acceptable.

I am not in a good position to comment on this because I didn't try that out. Currently, we have less than 50 users.

They are pretty good. They did address my problem. I am satisfied with their support.

It is actually a complex setup. If you want to do it in a good and sustainable way, it is complex to create a model, but if you want to just test things out and very quickly try out this product, then it is easy to get started. So, it is complex to create something that is sustainable.

Overall, it took about one and a half to two months, which included many test cases implementations. The setup was done within a week.

It does require maintenance, but the maintenance of the server is up to your company policy. It depends on how often you patch your server, and how often you upgrade Java. The maintenance of the test scripts depends on how quickly the product changes. So, it varies.

I was using help from the proprietary vendor.

Its pricing is quite reasonable. If you require their help in getting started, then there is a professional services fee on top of the product license cost.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend engaging Katalon's services to get started. They do render pretty good help on it.

I would rate Katalon Studio an eight out of 10.